Blatche's vow, Wizards' options

Morning brew

The Wizards face the Celtics tonight in Boston, and Andray Blatche says there will not be a a repeat performance of his March 7 war of words with Kevin Garnett. "I'm just going to go out and play my game and try to get us a win," he told Michael Lee.

On the blog, Lee asks: Who should return to the team next season? Vote for who you would like to see in a Wizards uniform next year.

Truth About It looks at a celebration ritual performed by Andray Blatche and Nick Young -- despite the fact that there's been little to celebrate lately.

Around the league ...

There were three games last night. Highlights are below, courtesy of NBA.com.

By Alexa Steele  |  April 9, 2010; 10:28 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who should return?
Next: Wizards sign Cartier Martin for rest of the season

Comments

But, now, I am fine with FS. I am smart enough to know that this season was not his fault whatsoever.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 9, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

and it wasn't Ernie's or Abe's fault either?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 9, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 9, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

and it wasn't Ernie's or Abe's fault either?
Posted by: bulletsfan78

The players, Flip, EG, and Abe all deserve a share of the blame for this mess.

I also don't know if he has handled the players in public as well as he could have. I don't get on his case for the AB thing as much as others, but it could have been handled better.

Definitely not all Flip's fault, but he should get his share of the blame.

Posted by: ts35 | April 9, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Locker room mole got a peek at Flip's new offensive scheme. Apparently it's one sheet of paper which reads in bold type:

Sit Earl and play Nick.

Posted by: divi3 | April 9, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

as for trading AB, there's really no way to get equivalent value for him. Talk of moving him is based upon dislike of him for past and current knuckleheadedness rather than on basketball merits.

Posted by: divi3 | April 9, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"as for trading AB, there's really no way to get equivalent value for him."

What, why? His knuckleheadedness is part of his value. Find some team that values non-knuckleheadedness less than we do (or should).

Posted by: Tank2 | April 9, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Find a trainer this kid clicks with…interview 10 of them to find the one….pay him crazy money to work out and eat with this kid every day over the summer. He is so young and is going to fill out a little more naturally but that can be accelerated. One of the few players in the league capable of still doing things we have not yet already seen."

This is EXACTLY correct and what I said 2 months ago. Watch 24/7, Manny's trainer is paid to sit next to him every meal forcing food down his gullet and pushing protein shakes on him. That's how Paq came into the sport at 108 pounds and is now knocking the piss out of true 147 pounders.

The right trainer takes AB and JM to a whole new level in just one offseason, but it's up to management to make that happen.

Posted by: divi3 | April 9, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tank2 | April 9, 2010 11:38 AM

and trade for whom?? seriously, can anybody name a player we could target using AB as the trade bait? I'd like to hear it, because I cant come up with one.

Posted by: divi3 | April 9, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

And it's up to AB and JM to participate. Unlike NBA players, boxers only get $$ when they perform.

Both AB and JM will be looking to get new contracts soon, so they may be amenable.

Posted by: ts35 | April 9, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Im loving the way Dray is talking right now but his game has regressed some since the ankle injury. I think most of it is just due to him hitting a wall and not so much what other teams are doing or figuring him out. I think he's just dead tired from all the extra minutes, increased role, the double teams, and the crazy sked weve had.

I think he probably feels that he's playing hard or is trying to play hard but its like running in mud because of the fatigue which is partly due to his poor body. Thats why I cut him a break "this year" but next year there will be no more breaks.

He will know that his role will be big, he will have other guys to take pressure from him, and he will have all summer to get his body right. If he comes back to training camp looking soft then he deserves to be killed by people. Even if he plays well you will know that he isnt playing as good as he couldve played if he was in top condition.

There will be no excuses for lack of boards because he wont have to carry the full load on O and should be in shape. There will be no excuses for lack of D because he shouldnt have to worry about foul trouble or killing himself on O with the other talent. This summer is huge for him and I hope he comes back looking chiseled with some added explosion and plays hard every game

Posted by: dlts2041 | April 9, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

for some reason though, I kinda think the game with KG might get him back to playing right and let him finish the year off very strong

Posted by: dlts2041 | April 9, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Definitely not all Flip's fault, but he should get his share of the blame.
Posted by: ts35"

Now, to be fair, I think you have to take some of the blame for that. If you'd simply started criticizing Flip earlier, he might have seen the error of his ways and corrected his strategy. As it is, he was forced to rely on the advice of other basketball people, and you know what a dead end that is.

So I guess I'm saying, it's your fault. But I forgive you.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 9, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

He's also turning into another Haywood by getting most of his numbers in the 1st quarter. I think Flip may have to switch the way he does his minutes at the end of the 1st & start of the 2nd quarter to make Dray produce more in that quarter and the rest of the game

Posted by: dlts2041 | April 9, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

It's not bulletsfan78's fault, however. He's been blaming Flip since well before the season started.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 9, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

good stuff dlts, agree all the way.

Posted by: divi3 | April 9, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

So I guess I'm saying, it's your fault. But I forgive you.
Posted by: Samson151

I'm sorry Samson, but that's simply not true, I have been trying to impart my philosophy to Flip for some time now, but the TRO says I have to stay at least 100 yards away. So I guess our judicial system deserves some of the blame as well.

Posted by: ts35 | April 9, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I think ts35 deserves a plaque in the Basketball Hall of Fame for that last post. Wittiest comment ever on this blog, bro. :)

Posted by: pjkiger1 | April 9, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

With Ted, I think off the court direction of individual player development will be a much bigger role than in the past.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 9, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

" have been trying to impart my philosophy to Flip for some time now, but the TRO says I have to stay at least 100 yards away."

I understand completely. I'm not allowed in the grocery store at the same time as Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

That makes sense. No one wants a repeat of the famous "Charmin" incident of '04

Posted by: ts35 | April 9, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

yeah ts35, you da man!!

Posted by: millineumman | April 9, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"For Flip's part, I think he was slow to adjust to the personnel he had. I know he was trying to implement his system, by there comes a point at which you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. The lastest change to the 'new' offense reflects. It seems much better suited to the guys on the floor, but it took him almost a month and 16 losses to get there."

And, how long did FS have with his new team? There is no way of knowing whether he was slow to adjust to his players or his players were slow to adjust to a change in systems bc it was all short circuited fairly quickly by GA. Then there was GA's rust factor and the apparent disinterest of the old "core" in playing together any longer. Things that FS had nothing to do with.

I find it very ironic that GA as the catalyst of this moribund season is still getting paid millions and will be for sometime. Reminds me of the bank execs from the past couple of years. Sad there is nothing more that can be done with his contract after all the destruction he has caused.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 9, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I also want to see how KG goes at Dray from a mental/trash talk POV. Im sure KG heard what the idiot Mike Lee wrote after the game about Dray nearly crying even though it wasnt true and Im sure that KG has also heard all the stuff that Flip said after the game about Dray talking back to KG. I know that is only going to fuel him to talk even more trash, try to get under Dray's skin, and get in his head from the jump. Should be interesting. I hope what Flip said doesnt backfire and makes Dray play scared and or uninspired

Posted by: dlts2041 | April 9, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse