Flip Saunders on end of season and desire to return

By Michael Lee  |  April 15, 2010; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On to the draft lottery
Next: Josh Howard: 'I'm not looking to break the bank'

Comments

Good ownership and good management?

I wish he would treat the owners and the GM the way he treated AB!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 15, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey they could always hire Eddie Jordan, I hear he's available. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 15, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Flip deserves a lot of criticism over the way the Blatche incident was handled. Flip wasn't perfect. I think he could have adapted to his personnel a bit more early on.

He doesn't seem to manage egos well, but after the trade it seemed like he was actually coaching the team, making adjustments, trying to get more out of his players who were ultimately overmatched. First half of the year it seemed like our veteran starting five were on five different pages.

In retrospect, it's hard to put all the blame for that on him. Maybe a better coach could've made it work, but I don't think there are a lot of coaches that could've done it. In some ways, I think he's a better coach for the situation we're going into rather than the one he took over for.

Posted by: manifested | April 15, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Ernie exercise Jordan's contract through 2009-2010 and then fire him 2 months later?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 15, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Not many good available coaches out there. Jeff Van Gundy, Avery Johnson, and Byron Scott are on contract by ESPN. Larry Brown has his family in philly if he doesn't return to charlotte, Doc Rivers ain't gonna leave. I don't think the wizards should gamble on a first year coach. Any college coaches available?

Other than that I don't think flip did a terrible job given the arenas suspension and freak josh howard injury.

Posted by: jefferu | April 15, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jefferu

Not advocating for any of the above necessarily, but I'm willing to bet all of them have out-clauses in their contracts that allow for coaching opportunities in the NBA.

Posted by: ts35 | April 15, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"In some ways, I think he's a better coach for the situation we're going into rather than the one he took over for. "

I tend to agree with that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 16, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

This Wizard organization is a big freaking joke, they have been a joke for ever, the ownership/management are the dumbest in any pro sports. In my opinion they should write the NBA a check at the end of every season for fielding a laughing stock. They chose to hang their future on a player of Arenas caliber when the opportunity presented its self for them to get rid of this not so great man child. For years they had the dumbest GM in Wes, they've hired every coach on the classified list. Anyone who believes that Arenas would get them a championship should put away their Bongs for good.!!

Posted by: zimife1999 | April 16, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse