Josh Howard is "ahead of schedule" with knee rehab

Shortly before the Wizards' tipped off against the Knicks, Josh Howard emerged from the tunnel in Madison Square Garden wearing a powder blue sport coat and moving along without the assistance of crutches. A knee brace was still noticeable underneath his jeans, but Howard was able to sit down with his teammates on the bench for the first time since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on Feb. 22.

I caught up with Howard briefly after the game. Howard was in New York to meet with his doctors to see how he has progressed in the past month. Dr. David Altcheck performed the surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgeries in New York on March 16.

"I had to have a check up," Howard said, with an oversized all-white Washington Nationals cap on his head. "I wanted to see how I was doing. They was happy with the way things looked. They said I was ahead of schedule for the way I was looking."

He said he was pleased that he no longer has to walk around with crutches. "I have to keep the brace on for another week and a half, two weeks and just continue like that with the rehab," he said.

Howard will be a free agent this summer and has already expressed an interest in returning to the Wizards. The Wizards plan on declining his $11.8 million option for next season, but would like to have him back at a reduced salary. Howard averaged 14.5 points and 3.3 rebounds in four games after arriving from Dallas in a seven-player trade. In addition to Howard, James Singleton and Quinton Ross, the Wizards also received a $6 million trade exception for including Brendan Haywood in the deal.

Howard turns 30 in about two weeks and still needs five to seven more months of recovery. Although he is making progress, Howard said he wouldn't rush to get back. "Still got to keep it slow, though," he said.

By Michael Lee  |  April 12, 2010; 11:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randy Foye to have surgery on Thursday
Next: Fourth-quarter collapse, injury update

Comments

They should sign Howard then trade for Joel Pryzbilla, then the Wiz could field an all knee injury team. They won't win many games, but they'll be killer in the 3-legged sack race.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 13, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards plan on declining his $11.8 million option for next season, but would like to have him back at a reduced salary. Howard averaged 14.5 points and 3.3 rebounds in four games after arriving from Dallas in a seven-player trade. In addition to Howard, James Singleton and Quinton Ross, the Wizards also "received a $6 million trade exception" for including Brendan Haywood in the deal.

Is it me or is there a common theme that keeps appearing from this organization?

I wonder who gets the NBA luxury tax welfare check...The Pollin family or Ted?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 13, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Josh, I would like to congratulate you in advance on your new, max contract from the Washington Wizards. I look forward to watching you play in a handful of games over the next three years. But do us all a favor and try to stay out of prison. Guns are not toys.

Posted by: bryc3 | April 13, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryc3 | April 13, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

OMG, yucks for the day. LOL.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 13, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Sad part is it's not that far fetched. Our injury history is horrible.

Real talk though, it would probably be a considerable option for him to gamble on a one year contract to prove he is worth a bigger deal. I know that's not what any player would want to do, but what if even the Wizards have learned their lesson with that old or injured "discount"

Posted by: millineumman | April 13, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

"You like to make fun of my suggestion to get rid of AB now for a good first round pick or some other decent package - here you go. I agree with MW completely"

I like to make fun of the suggestion we trade AB straight up for the 12th pick, which to me is a terrible move.

That said, I see where you're coming from, just dont agree it's a good idea to cut ties given ABs current play, age, potential, and contract.

Posted by: divi3 | April 13, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I would guess that Ted gets the check. But more importantly;

Michael Lee, Hellooo, when does Ted sign and take over the Team.

Need a detailed update for those of us that are inerested, like mayself.

You would think for 172 million dollars that this thing would have been signed, sealed and approved by the NBA by now.

Or is this thing being dragged out so the the Pollins collect the welfare check?

Huh, now thats a thought, wouldn't you say so BulletsFan78.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 13, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Since the big salary dumps the games have been more fun to watch. There's actually some ball movement, something we hadn't seen here since the beginning of the Arenas era. The execution is still sloppy, but you can at least see the effort to play team ball.

All that will change if Gilbert returns next year. It will all revert to run and gun, each guy for himself, if I don't put up a quick shot I'll never get the ball back. Traditional Wiz ball, based on the ancient maxim of "do unto others before they do unto you."

That's why IMHO they need to ship Gilbert elsewhere.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | April 13, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Is there anything in the NBA like a tender offer like the Redskins did with Campbell where they get something back if he signs with another team?

If so, can we do that with Livingston and if there isn't do we have any rights to match any offer that he gets since he is on our roster now?

Or is he free and clear to sign wherever and we have no leverage atall?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 13, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Bringing Arenas back is like trying to get back with my ex-wife after she cleared my bank account, gave me nothing in return, and wants to come back for more.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Posted by: NewbillJT | April 13, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Took until the 2nd to last game of the season, but Flip actually said he was happy with AB, JM, and NY! Tore'em down, now he's building them up.

Who knows, maybe he likes what he sees.

Posted by: divi3 | April 13, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

My understanding is that we have no rights or leverage with Livingston at all. From the way he talks, he would like to play with a winner next year which may leave the Wizards out.

It would be nice to keep him, though.

Posted by: cannontl | April 13, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"There's actually some ball movement, something we hadn't seen here since the beginning of the Arenas era. The execution is still sloppy, but you can at least see the effort to play team ball.

All that will change if Gilbert returns next year."

I can't predispose that. Gil has been more apt to passing the ball especially since the injury. He has even looked hesitant at at times. As he worked his legs and condtitioning back into shape he shot the ball about what you would expect a teams best offensive player to do so. If Gil felt good enough to jack'em up all game every game that means he feels in great shape and thats a plus for the Wiz.

Posted by: millineumman | April 13, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

All that will change if Gilbert returns next year."

Posted by: millineumman | April 13, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The continuing misadventures of Javale Mcgee:

In this lost season, I actually find most of the stuff pretty funny...dare I say, enjoyable to watch so long as he's also producing which he has been of late. But some serious "coach'em up" has to take place this summer.

In his defense, it DOES seem that when he drives from the foul line he gets right to the rim for a layup attempt in like 2 strides...if the ball is still in his possession anyway

Posted by: divi3 | April 13, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Since the big blow up, the team is 4-12 when NY plays 20 mins or more. I think they need to play him less.

(Not actually serious, just want to hear the NY supporters' heads explode :) Also curious to see how many respond before even getting to this second line.)

Man, that was a tough 4th qtr to watch. Obviously the Wiz have a lot of changes they will make this offseason with the draft picks and FAs, but it's tough to watch when your team has no answer for Sergio Rodriguez and Danilo Gallinari. The refs didn't do them any favors last night, especially SL, but at some point you just have to work past that.

Whether they are able to sign Livingston or not, they need to bring in someone, even just as a backup 3rd PG, who can defend the small super-quick PGs they are popping up all over the league these days.

I was a little surprised during the Knicks run that the Wiz didn't try to post SL more against Rodriguez. I remember seeing them do it once, but then got away from it to a variety of ill-advised Miller drives and ill-advised JM shots. I'm not really being that critical of it, I think it's good for them to get McGee chances on the low block, and in difficult situations. Having him figure out what he can do and can't do at this point is part of his development. It was just tough to watch.

Posted by: ts35 | April 13, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I like to tell myself recent 4thQs are EG protecting our lotto chances

Posted by: divi3 | April 13, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Yep, there's no question his huge strides and long arms allow him to create space. He just needs to refine it. Guys have learned to just keep nudging him further out. The refs aren't calling it and JM is not helping himself by throwing up really awkward shots when he runs out of steps.

I liked what Flip had to say. They seem finally to have found a decent balance between letting the kids play and trying to instill some discipline.

Plus, we may finally learned the key to JM's development! Getting him to work with Tim Grover won't motivate him......we need to get him to work with the real Grover! And maybe Elmo too! (I kid The Kid).

To quote Forgetting Sarah Marshall "He's like Gandhi...except he likes puppets."

Posted by: ts35 | April 13, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I like to tell myself recent 4thQs are EG protecting our lotto chances

Posted by: divi3

In the Atlanta game, when Flip had no PGs in the game, I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by: ts35 | April 13, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Wilbon has been mailing it in for years, bet he hasnt watched 3 wizards games this year. Travesty the Post still pays for his opinions." posted by divi3

Indeed he has. But you must admit he's still the best TV-personality-who-holds-up-paper-masks-of-celebrities-in-front-of-his-face-and-speaks-in-funny-voices in America.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 13, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

This team needs a new GM and coach before ANY decisions are made on player acquisition or retention.

Grunfeld showed that he was either too timid or too believing in Abe Pollin's vision of Jamison, Butler and Arenas as the core of a future champion to allow any legitimate NBA evaluation/criticism enter the discussion.

This team lacked rebounding and defense for YEARS and was a club that suffered too many turnovers and lost games beating itself.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 13, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

leopard, it's a no-brainer that the team needs a new GM, but I'm not sure they can get a better coach than FS. It's taken a full season, but it seems that the guys are finally responding to what he's been teaching them. So what would be the benefit of going back to square one with a new head coach?

Posted by: shovetheplanet | April 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse