Josh Howard: 'I'm not looking to break the bank'

By Michael Lee  |  April 15, 2010; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flip Saunders on end of season and desire to return
Next: Flip on Gilbert Arenas and needed areas of improvement for Wizards

Comments

I like the idea of bringing Howard back (at a reduced contract). People who have something to prove will be hungry for validation. Ditto Gilbert. Both have something to prove and, if they channel that correctly (Flip has the ability to help make that happen) I think next season could be fun.

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | April 15, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and with respect to my comment (above), I neglected to add this up front.

FIRST!!!!!!

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | April 15, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Watching McGee struggle against yet another strong man (Hibbert, this time) makes me wonder if he'll ever get to the point where he can hold his own with somebody who isn't tall and skinny.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 15, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

only if he's not skinny

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 15, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

I think so. It would also help if he didn't go for virtually every pump-fake. The only defensive advatage he has to it is that it he jumps so high and it takes him so long to come down that the other guys risk a 24 second violation.

Posted by: ts35 | April 15, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Signing Howard to anything other than a cheap 1-year deal makes no sense, and even that doesn't make a lot of sense. It has nothing to do with desire and motivation and everything to do with the realities of physiology. Howard may be cleared to play by the beginning of next season, but he won't be anywhere near 100%. He may not be 100% all season. And given his age, the ceiling on his 100% is getting lower by the day. He's at a point where his best value is on a an immediately competitive team, and that will not be the Wizards. They're better off spending money on guys who can either (A) make a significant immediate impact or be a significant part of the future. Howard's age, injury recovery, and the WIzards' rebuilding status makes both of those unlikely.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 15, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

McGee is never going to be a bruising physical presence, the problem is that he doesn't seem to realize that. He keeps trying to match strength-for-strength at both ends of the floor, to his detriment. If he understood the advantage his quickness and athleticism gave him and used it accordingly, he'd be more effective at both ends. Instead he's trying to go chest to chest with guys who simply have him outclassed on the muscles department and paying the price for it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 15, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Signing Howard to anything other than a cheap 1-year deal makes no sense, and even that doesn't make a lot of sense."

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 15, 2010 2:24 PM

This is probably the first and last time I'll be in 100% agreement with you. Resigning Howard b/c he played 4 good games for us would be incredibly stupid.

For me, I look at what he's done the last three years on and off the court. Even if he didn't get hurt, I wouldn't touch him because of his reputation & declining play. At age 30, coming off a major injury it would be absolute nightmare if we gave him a long term deal.

Posted by: Dat2U | April 15, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Looking at last nights game and a picture of McGee last year he does look maybe 15lbs heavier and stronger but he can never be the Andrew Bynum, Dwight howard, Shaquile Oneal bruiser center. Hes more like a chris anderson/stoudemire center

Posted by: jefferu | April 15, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I also dont want guys like Bosh. I think we need guys who can score but are willing passers like Dray is. Id much rather have that over a black hole like Jamison. I loved Howard and you could telll he was the perfect fit for Flip's system with his slashing ability, toughness, and quickness. However, I also started to get the sense that he felt he was now on a bad team where he could be the star and was also starting to be a black hole. I want him back at a cheaper cost as long as he plays his role. Thats the biggest thing I like about Miller. He will make that pass

Posted by: dlts2041 | April 15, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

A one year deal is not the way to go. There is a lot of uncertainty of when Howard will be coming back (Dec. 15 seems like a realistic expectation, but you never know). A two year deal 12-13 million with an 8 million third year option would make a lot more sense. Given the time it takes to get back in sync, the expected value of his 2010-11 production is probably worth around 5 million and the expected value of his 2011-12 production is probably worth around 9 million.

Posted by: audacitea | April 16, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse