Mike Miller "would love to" go back to Orlando

When the Orlando Magic came to Washington last month, Mike Miller spent some time with former Memphis teammate and fellow Florida alum Jason Williams. Miller said Williams told him how much fun it was playing for a winner and offered some encouraging words.

So, after watching Williams end all suspense on Wednesday by scoring six points in the final two seconds of the third quarter, you couldn't blame Miller for looking over at the other bench and pondering what it would be like to play with a contender.

Ah, the good old days. (Photo by Julie Fletcher, the Orlando Sentinel)

After scoring 16 points in the Wizards' 121-94 loss to the Magic, Miller was asked about a possible return to Orlando, where he spent his first 2 ½ seasons and won rookie of the year in 2001.

"I would love to," Miller said. "Look at what they have. For a shooter, it is a dream come true. It would be exciting to go in there. Not only do they have a big guy who they have a chance to double, but they have shooters around the horn. It would be a fun experience for sure."

Now, the Magic doesn't really need Miller, since signing him would require them to go deeper in luxury tax territory. And, while Miller could definitely be an asset for a good team, the Magic doesn't appear to be lacking in perimeter shooting. After all, it shot 13 for 22 from beyond the three-point line against the Wizards.

Williams said that this Magic team is better than his Heat team that won the NBA title in 2006. "One through 15, this most talented team I've played on, the deepest team. So, we'll see how it goes in the playoffs."

Miller said that he would look into being in a winning environment when he signs his next free agent deal. "Obviously, if you are not wanting to win, you are not in it for the right reasons. I definitely would like to win," Miller said. "The last couple of years have been rough for me. At the same time, we will see what is out there."

Miller said he still hasn't ruled out the Wizards, who will welcome back Gilbert Arenas, add a lottery pick and have nearly $19 million in salary cap space to sign free agents. "You want to wait and see what kind of changes they are going to make, since that is what they made the trades for," Miller said. "It is open. And winning is definitely a priority."

By Michael Lee  |  April 7, 2010; 11:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cedric Jackson on losing for first time in 11 NBA games
Next: Dwight Howard, Magic dismantle Wizards

Comments

SEE YA MIKE! Nice having you here in D.C but you dont really seem and havent seemed to be into playing for the wizards since Training Camp....Good luck to you pal! Your turnovers were killing us this year! Holla-atcha!

Posted by: rf2litenva | April 8, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

screw that. keep mike miller. great team player with solid skills

Posted by: crs-1 | April 8, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

This is damn good news. Reading the tea leaves it seems like EG & Co. want to keep Miller but he may already have one foot out door.

Regardless, the franchise at the stage of the rebuilding process where it has no business signing a role player on the wrong side of 30 to a long term deal.

Best wishes Mike, and don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Posted by: Dat2U | April 8, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Miller is a good team player. But I don't see re-signing him though as the top priority.

I'd much rather see the Wizards target a player like Carlos Boozer and then try to get Shaun Livingston under contract. Resolving the Josh Howard situation would be the next priority. If there's money left over then you'd look at resigning a Mike Miller or Randy Foye. I don't think the Wizards though will have the cap space to retain Miller. It's also been pretty clear since the trade deadline that Miller is anxious to be elsewhere. Josh Howard on the other hand, seemed happy to get the shot with the Wizards. Retaining him at $11 mill. isn't going to fly, but maybe the sides can work out some kind of a deal that makes sense.

Posted by: JPRS | April 8, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Don't think it matters what Miller wants - we shouldn't bring him back anyways. Too bad, since he's a great team guy with really useful skills... but when you're under the cap you really need to try to get a star player instead of cobbling together a few role players. Can use MLE and other tools to put those pieces together after you have your core... just have to pray for a good draft and a FA in 2010 or more likely 2011.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | April 8, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Good basketball player that's an old and broken down role player. He brings a lot to the team, but is only worth keeping if his salary is really cheap.

Posted by: Theone9 | April 8, 2010 4:08 AM | Report abuse

MM is toast in a WIZARDS uni, and so is JOSH HOWARD. He just isn't worth an 11 million plus gamble. He has a blown out knee and a history of medical problems. No to the team option in 2010-11.

Indications from MIKE LEE are that RANDY FOYE will not be offered either, and I would cut ROSS if he exercises his player option.

Which means the last men standing for the next season are, J-MAC, AB, AT, NY and GA. Even with three picks and two others (SHAUN LIVINGSTON and JAMES SINGLETON), you are four short of a minimum team.

This re-build is going to take awhile. Let's get the ownership situation straightened out. Things get worse by the day. And while we're at it a new name along with LEONSIS would be nice. I sure hope IRENE doesn't keep waltzing around the block with TED. The value of her investment erodes daily.

And we fans suffer. This franchise is a gold-mine if it's run professionally.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 8, 2010 4:26 AM | Report abuse

"Good to see folks with a little b-ball acumen on here this evening rather than the usual nonsensical blather."

WHERE????

You had me going there for a minute.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 8, 2010 4:55 AM | Report abuse

Well, here's Samson!!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 8, 2010 5:26 AM | Report abuse

The bold print said Wizards Insider but when I click on it I get the Orlando Magic Insider???

Posted by: kts38 | April 8, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

"...For a shooter, it is a dream come true..." Really? Mike Miller thinks he's a shooter? A shooter has to actually shoot the ball which Mike seem reluctant to do.

Posted by: tundey | April 8, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter who we get, I see them getting injuries. Les Boulez jinx.

We could get Dwight Howard and I am sure he would go down with MCL. Just the way it works with the Wizard's history.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 8, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Come on Lee, did you proofread this even once? Normally I dont nitpick but the grammar in this one is bad even by WI standards.

Posted by: divi3 | April 8, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I got 3 words for ya Ernie... SIGN AND TRADE!!!

Posted by: CBell29 | April 8, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter who we get, I see them getting injuries. Les Boulez jinx.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 8, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'm for finding out.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 8, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

He has a lot of nerve. If he wants to be a shooter for a contender then maybe if he would shoot the damn ball, the team he is playing on, could have won more games. Let his arse walk I say, let him walk.

Posted by: ivyleague | April 8, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The Skinny: Miller changed his game completely in Minnesota in 2008-09. Most agree the change was for the worse: MiMi effectively stopped shooting, turning himself into a facilitating wing. The problem? Miller is one of his generation's best shooters, a career 40-percenter from three. His team needs him to shoot, shoot, shoot. Miller didn't revert to form in Washington, though; in fact, he got worst, shooting threes at a frequency lower than any other season in his NBA career. It's inexplicable, and a huge red flag for any team looking to sign Miller this summer.

Posted by: closg | April 8, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Re: Livingston

His size is overrated because it doesn't produce a major inherent advantage on either end of the floor.

Posted by: kalo_rama

What he has to work on is using his height to compensate for his comparative lack of quickness on the D end. Little PGs also seem to be able to get into him and affect his dribble, but I think some of that is just rust.

It basically just comes down to a player knowing how to use the tools he has. Aside from his height, SL has good court vision, anticipation and passing ability. He can hit that midrange jumper most of the time. He needs to work on his defense and his long range shooting, no question.

So in general being a 6'7" PG has minor advantages (just like being a super-quick PG does), but a smart player like SL can eventually turn it into a significant advantage while also using it to mitigate disadvantages

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague | April 8, 2010 9:51 AM.

Posted by: divi3 | April 8, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 8, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Fascinating article on ESPN by Henry Abbott about young players and playing time. More than worth a read.

Posted by: nmik | April 8, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

and dray was crap last night. If he doesnt finally get in true shape over the summer it's a big problem.

Posted by: divi3 | April 8, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Re: Miller

The only two ways I see him staying are if a) he gets no offers from winning teams or b) if the Wiz offer him more than they should to stay.

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I sure Ted is listening. He might be inclined to send Miller to the Magic. But, Miller is forgetting one thing. The Majic might have too want him.

After what Miller did this year, even taking into consideration he's been banged up, I don't think any Team wants him.

Miller as a major role player in this league is done and certainly for the Wizards if they are smart.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 8, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

About Josh Howard though. I think he showed that he still is a player. Maybe the contract isn't a right fit for where he is in his career.

However, I think Josh displays the type of attitude and ability on the floor that is very useful.

My consideration on retaining him goes to his health, as to whether he can stay healthy. I would employ the best medicinal basketball evaluation on Howard and negoitiate from that standpoint.

If the medical opinions would not be to my liking for where I wanted to be as a Team, then I would not retain him.

If they were I would negotiate and explain why I would be willing to keep him, but not for 11 mil.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 8, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I wonder would he have made that comment if Wizs were in playoffs right now.

See you at the pool in Vegas again this year Mike when the season is over with, so we can get drunk like we did 2 years ago at the MGM Signature.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 8, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Miller can go to Orlando. I still think the Wizards should make a play for Rudy Gay. Yes, you would have to overpay to prevent Memphis from matching the offer, but I think he would be a good fit. Maybe Erin could talk Orlando into trading us Brandon Bass. I like his energy. Maybe Ross and a 2nd rounders (I know the salaries don't match, but we're under the salary cap so they don't have to match). Lastly, Erin is going to keep Foye. If he lets Foye walk and has nothing to show for a # 5 pick from last year he's as good as fired.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | April 8, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

If EG's not fired because of the record for the past two years, the moves and the blow-up, then keeping Foye is not going to make or break his time here.

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I haven't watched Rudy Gay play this year, but his rep generally is as a great offensive player and an uninterested defensive player. If that's true, we have more than enough of those kinds of guys already. Rather than just trying to go out and getting the best 'name' guys out there, I would prefer they go after complete players who fit into playing a winning style of hoops.

Before anyone starts in with the "Well Memphis is winning this year"......are we really trying to pattern ourselves after Memphis? If so, I quit.

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Shaun Livingston would definitely be in my plans for next year. And when prudent I would make him an contract offer.

I would lock him up. The only thing that would free him wouls be an offer that I could not refuse. Like a number 1 pick or a trade offer heavily tilted in my favor.

In other words, it would be a huge blunder by the Wizards not to retain Livingston.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 8, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 11:44 AM |

Great points, however, one of the things I like about Erin's move is that he did bring some people (AT, JS and Ross) who play defense. It seems we need one more big time scorer to take the scoring pressure off AB, GA (next year) and NY.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | April 8, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 33dgriffin | April 8, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Good Idea to look at rudy,he is young, a good shooter ,no defense.
The oposite will be true about EG, if he keep foye to protect his ego it is going to be a red card in his job.He has to admit that he did that game trade for the purpose of clearing salary space.

Posted by: gtefferra | April 8, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

closg - you got it exactly right!!! Could not have said it better myself.

He seemed to play the good teammate role at 1st with Gil, Caron and Jamison still around. But, he passed up too many shots. Seems like a weird complaint but his job is to shot, not drive and kick back.

Posted by: oknow1 | April 8, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 33dgriffin

I hear ya, but a) nobody currently on the team is that great defensively and b) if we're going to spend big / max bucks on someone, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they actually play O and D. Haven't seen Gay this year, so I don't know if he's playing better D now that they're winning.

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"i dont think kal has been watching the games recently. Livingston has dunked in traffic a few times, even double clutched. He's getting way up there for rebounds and generally looking more and more confident in his knee."

You don't think about a lot of things yet that rarely seems to dissuade you from shooting off your mouth about them. The fact that Livingston can dunk has no bearing on any of my reasons for not offering him a big or a long-term deal. As I've said (and as you'd know if you bothered to read any of the things you purport to be responding to), I'd sign him to a reasonable (i.e., vet minimum) 2-year deal at most to be the backup PG, because nothing he's done in the last couple of weeks offers a compelling case that he's worth more or is likely to play a bigger role on this team (assuming Arenas is still around). Dunk or no dunk.

"He's also making a point of backing down opposing guards in the paint and shooting effortlessly over top of them...problem is his shot's suspect, like it's always been"

LOL! Thanks for making my point for me, i.e., simply having a height advantage doesn't automatically translate into a basketball advantage if a player lacks the proper skills to exploit said advantage. Livingston is taller than most PGs, but if he can't turn that into (A) easy inside baskets or (B) double teams to open up the floor, that extra heights not doing him or the team a sh@t lotta good.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 8, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Gay is a good player and potential all-star, but he's not a guy a rebuilding team should be paying max money to. It would be different on a team that's already got other pieces in place, but the Wizards aren't there yet.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 8, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"It depends if he knows how to use his height, and he does. He definitely uses it to get mid range jumpers that he can get pretty much whenever he wants, even if the PG guarding him stays with him. It does help him see the floor a bit better (a little overrated), but it also makes it harder for a shorter PG to affect his pass (not often mentioned)."

None of those things you mention really produce a significant advantage, at least not in comparison to the many shorter PGs with a high skill level who can do pretty much all of the same things. Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, et al can all see the floor, get their shots off, and get passes off just dandy without being 6' 7" Livingston doesn't do any of those things better than any number of PGs who are much shorter than him.

When you call a particular attribute an "advantage" that implies it imparts an ability to do something that people who lack that attribute can't do (or at least can't do as well), and that's simply not the case. As noted above, the one area where it might provide a real advantage--in the post--he struggles to exploit because he doesn't have the proper skill set.

On the flip side, the concomitant relative lack of lateral quickness that comes with his size (and his knee injury) pose a significant disadvantage at the defensive end.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 8, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

See ya Mike! Mike is a Good Guy but he gets hurt to much for me. He's been here a year and everytime he hit the floor it looks as if he's not going to get up. The Wiz need to move on and get rid of all the pieces from the team that was except for "THE BIG IF" GILBERT ARENAS.

Posted by: washwizkids | April 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Of course Miller wants to play in Orlando. It's every young basketball player's dream to someday play for an NBA team.

Good luck, Mike. I know you'll make it soon. Send us folks back here in the developmental(ly challenged) league a post card from the big time.

Wait... What? Already in the NBA? Really? Since when?

Posted by: noslok | April 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"Guy plays starter minutes on four 50loss teams in a row but somehow gets treated like he's unlucky and deserves better. Kind of amazing, because anybody else would be called a major reason the teams suck rather than the "poor guy" just looking to win.Posted by: divi3"

That's because he's unlucky and deserves better.

But in point of fact, some folks on this board have been blaming Miller for the team's performance since the trades with Dallas and Cleveland. I suspect that's because they need a scapegoat and he's a convenient option. They do the same thing with Foye. Both are limited players who haven't flagged in terms of effort and will probably be gone next year.

Overall I'd say the main theme of this board is scapegoating various Wiz for the team's losses, while making excuses for others.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"I like MM and his skill set, but he's not the kind of player the Wiz should spend cap space on in their current situation.Posted by: ts35"

Too true. I think he'd agree with you.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 8, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"Guy plays starter minutes on four 50loss teams in a row but somehow gets treated like he's unlucky and deserves better. Kind of amazing, because anybody else would be called a major reason the teams suck rather than the "poor guy" just looking to win."

He wouldn't be called that by anybody with any sense. Mike Miller's no more a major the team sucks than he would be a major reason if they were good. He shares in the blame, like all of the players and coaches do, but he is hardly the prime candidate. He's a role player whose role, the role he was brought in to perform (play off the stars, use the defensive attention they draw to hit open shots, use his playmaking and court vision to get the star scorers the ball in their spots) disappeared when Arenas got suspended and Butler and Jamison got trade.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 8, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

I'm only going to go so far with this, because we've been down this road before and it's clear you've already made up your mind.

When I say advantage, I'm not comparing him to every other player at his position. It's whether it gives him an edge over any particular defender he's playing against. Nash, CP3, Williams, all have different advantages they use to do the job they do, whether it's quickness, strength, anticipation, what have you.

With SL, his most unusual characteristic is his height and the ultimate question is, can he leverage his height into a useful advantage. For me, the answer is yes. I don't know if you've been watching lately, I know you said you didn't see one game, not sure about the others. But SL has been able to take his opponent down to the elbow and hit mid-range jumpers over top of them. He has gone down to the low box and hit turnarounds from the post. And he has occasionally beaten his man off the bounce for dunks. So when you say he doesn't have the ability to make use of his particular unique characteristic, I ask, what have you been watching?

Over the past several games, when he has been averaging over 30mins, he has been averaging double figures, shooting over 50% on a reasonable number of shots and getting good numbers of quality assists. That's against mixture of teams, some good, some atrocious.

So, to the generic question of does being 6'7" help a PG, the answer is...it depends on the player.

SL is in the process of showing that he can use his height (coupled with his other gifts) to be an effective PG. Defensively he has a ways to go, but I think it is currently inconclusive to say that it's because he has lost too much quickness with his knee.

Towards the larger point of whether they should sign him and for how much, we generally agree, though I might be willing to go a little higher on the salary scale that the vet minimum, but I wouldn't go more than 2 years and definitely not more than $2 mil per.

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Re: Miller

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Agreed 100%. They need a franchise center that can be built around like DWIGHT HOWARD or a superstar player like KOBE BRYANT or LeBRON JAMES. And please, no "GILBERT ARENAS is a franchise player." Those days are behind us for numerous reasons, not the least of which are his injuries.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 8, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

To the ancillary question of whether we should sign SL because he might not pair well with Gil, I return to my overall stance with the Wizards that they should not being making any decisions based on what works well for Gil.

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

i dont think 2yr/$4mill will be enough to keep him, we'll see.

Posted by: divi3 | April 8, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

May not be. At the same time, he is still coming off a major knee injury. He could be looking great one minute and popping that knee again the next.

Posted by: ts35 | April 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see him stay but, if he wants to go, let him go. If he's thinking about playing for Orlando, he can't be thinking about winning for the Wizards. I don't even want him around here.

Posted by: carterm1 | April 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I would be suprised if Miller returns next year. That basically mean EG traded away the fifth pick for Randy Foye and a guy we rented for one year. Time for EG to go, and Flip should follow him out the door.

Posted by: sonny2 | April 8, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Why are we thinking small about the upcoming free agency and only talking about getting Rudy Gay? There are some top shelf players out there that we SHOULD be thinking about luring over to D.C. instead of one on the second or maybe third shelf like Rudy Gay!

Why not Chris Bosh? We will have the money available for a player of his talent level. He will give us a post presence and he could pair with Blatche like he does with Bargnani, both jump-shooting big men. I know it hasn't worked all that well for Toronto, but I think we've seen that Blatche can be a better player than Bargnani.

Please no Carlos Boozer. He has no loyalty to anyone but the almighty $dollar$.

If the new ownership makes a bold move like this and goes after a top level free agent, it will send a very positive message to the rest of the league and to other potential free agents, especially if they can make it happen.

Posted by: Janitor_with_a_Jumpshot | April 8, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

@Janitor,

What's the point in "rebuilding" by picking up another major contract for a guy who is not going to put you over the top or win much of anything for the next 3/4 seasons. The Wiz need to hit the lottery this year and next and get as many draft picks as possible. Build your team! The Redskins have shown the alternative rarely if ever works. Of course, a team with the history of a Boston got a championship by signing two hall of fame caliber players to go along with their own home grown star, but this team is far from anything close to that. First step is to get a couple of home grown stars of our own. Blatche may be one talent-wise, but I don't see a championship caliber brain in the kid - ever. GA's star has come and gone and obviously he never had top shelf leadership skills or intangibles anyway. So, off to the lottery this offseason and next. Who knows, maybe we land Turner this draft and the process is expediated slightly. We strike in the lottery like that, then adding a Bosh might make more sense. GA, Bosh, AB, Turner, AT etc etc - that makes the playoffs in the East next season. One can only wish for that kind of luck.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 8, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Actually, having Bosh and AB on the same team probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I guarantee you AB will not take to going back to the bench at all and they play the same position. But, you catch my drift. A more top tier FA makes sense only if we get lucky in the lottery and get a top 3 player. Maybe only Turner, as he is probably the most sure-fire immediate impact player in a draft with a lot of players with the proverbial potential.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 8, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't want a player who openly expresses his desire to play for another team.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | April 9, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse