Miller, Livingston team up to snap 16-game streak

I almost forgot that I could still do this. (Photo by Chris Graythen/NBAE via Getty Images)

Mike Miller was cutting tape from his ankles after last night's 96-91 victory over New Orleans when James Singleton asked him, "How many points you finish with?"

Miller said, "Twenty-seven. I used to get 40 a night, killa. Now, when I get 27; feels like I just went for 60."

Miller often jokes about being old after turning 30 on Feb. 19. But after erupting for a new season high to help the Wizards avoid becoming only the second team in NBA history to lose 17 games in the same month, Miller could only shake his head. He hadn't scored at least 20 points in a game since he dropped 25 points on the New York Knicks on Jan. 30. Miller has had just three 20-point games this season.

It's a little startling that it took Miller so long to have a game like he did in New Orleans. Miller seemed like a likely candidate to fill some of the scoring void after the Wizards shed the roster of nearly every offensive option at the trade deadline, and then lost Josh Howard for the season. After all, this is the same Miller who averaged 18.4 points just three years ago in Memphis and has had 11 games with at least 30 points in his last two seasons with the Grizzlies from 2006-08.

But with Al Thornton and Randy Foye going to injury, it became more imperative for Miller to provide some assistance to Andray Blatche. Miller has always been big on "getting that ball popping" and making the extra pass, but he finally figured out that there aren't many places for the ball to go. Since the all-star break, Miller had only scored in double figures in 12 of the 24 games. He has scored 10 or more, though, in each of the past four games.

"It was a matter of getting it going. I was really just a little more aggressive," Miller said. "I missed so many layups [Tuesday] night. Obviously, I bounced back."

Miller had an admittedly awful game on Tuesday in Houston. He missed 11 of his 15 shot attempts, including several point blank layups. On one possession, Miller missed two layups so badly that I thought he was trying to impersonate that poor girl from Xavier who missed two potential game-winning layups against Stanford in the women's NCAA Tournament.

So, when Miller finally got a layup to fall in the third quarter, he expressed his pleasure by shouting to Flip Saunders, "I made a layup!" The Wizards kept running the same play, in which Blatche set a pick on Morris Peterson, Miller curled around and made a layup over him. Saunders jokingly kept count of every time Miller got a layup to fall. "He made four," Saunders said with a laugh afterward. "He did a nice job for us."

If I can have more nights like this, who knows? (Photo by Layne Murdoch/NBAE/Getty Images)

I must say, I've watched a lot of teams this season and the Hornets are quite dreadful defensively. The Wizards shot 55.9 percent on Wednesday. Considering the roster makeup and players that aren't with the team any longer, that's pretty amazing. After the game, Chris Paul talked about how poorly the Hornets were on that end of the floor.

"We just couldn't defend. Couldn't stop them early, late, nothing. They ran their same offense the entire game and we just never found a way to stop them," Paul said. "We just couldn't get stops and they executed. It wasn't just Miller [who hurt us]. It was Shaun Livingston. We couldn't find a way to slow him down. He was scoring over me all night."

Livingston had 18 points and 8 assists against New Orleans, matching the same season-highs he reached against Orlando nearly two weeks ago. But he had his best performance of the season on Wednesday, mostly because it came during a victory.

"That's more important than anything, not having a good performance in a bad loss. Getting a good performance in a win. I could've had two [points] and two [assists] and if we win, I feel good about what I've done," Livingston said.

But Livingston has to feel encouraged after this game because he shot the ball well (8 of 10 from the floor) and used his height advantage to help limit Paul to just eight points and nine assists (Paul had 15 points and 13 assists two days before in a win against the Los Angeles Lakers).

"He's an all-star point guard, one of the best point guards in the league," Livingston said. "With his knee injury, he's still working himself back into shape. Just continuing to push forward. I looked at it as a challenge to go up against him and measure myself and my performance as well. I've come a long way. It feels good to have a good one."

Livingston also tied Fabricio Oberto for the best plus-minus, with a plus-17. The Wizards really struggled when he wasn't on the court. After playing a season-high 37 minutes -- the most since returning from his left knee injury -- Livingston was elated to get out of March with a win. "It's tough to go 0 for a month," said Livingston, who has gone 2-18 since joining the Wizards. We got one at the end of the month. It's long overdue."

By Michael Lee  |  April 1, 2010; 1:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Livingston on ending streak, playing Chris Paul
Next: Streak is over, thanks to Mike Miller and Shaun Livingston

Comments

I hope Livingston sticks.

Posted by: rickgonz | April 1, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse

I hope LIVINGSTON sticks. But dang, we're back in the #4 slot already same as the lowly REDSKINS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Who here would like to have to perform the same work for 2/3 pay. Not me. MILLER's gone unless FLIP can convince him that the club is doing him a favor by cutting his pay 33%. Seeing as how he's 30, and on his last legs and all, he might buy that.

And I just can't see the brass making the same mistake they did with ARENAS where JOSH HOWARD is concerned. I predict they will not take a chance on his past injury history and currently blown out knee at 11,750,000 million. They will NOT offer on their team option, at least they should not. After all, it's the WIZARDS. Now re-signing him after the entire league has passed on him for half of that amount would be O.K., but the entire league won't. He's toast in a WIZARDS uni IMO of course.

SINGLETON at 2.5 million is good. Give him OLDBERTO's slot, and sign him up.

LIVINGSTON is good at 1.5 million. Sign him up.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, it would take a serious lack of market interest for Miller to stick around. Not sure I want him anyway since he's allergic to shooting the ball. Shaun should definitely be kept. Maybe finally be the legit PG we've been looking for.

Posted by: tundey | April 1, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

SL was one of the best PG with a potential to be an all star. I am happy to see him like this after that devastating knee injury.Do not be surprised if some one take him before our GM make a decision to keep him as a back up PG.He is an excellent passer. He is one of the best PG in a half court game.He could even start games.He is bigger than most PG's and would demand additinal defender if he is in court in 4th quarter which is going to open some one like GA our future SG evans turner to take good shoots.(this is fantasy).

Posted by: gtefferra | April 1, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Decisions in the WIZARDS front office of any kind, good or bad, seem to be in short supply these days. I'm with you. Extend that contract into next year, and sign up SINGLETON before he's gone.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

With Flip starting Livingston and giving him PT, I would be shocked if Ernie didn't sign him for next year, especially since he probably can be signed for a little over the veteran minimum, like they did with D-Steve a few years back. Livingston looks to me as if he's pretty much recovered from that devastating injury--he's got his first step back, and he's had a couple of nasty dunks in recent games. His PG skills are just as good as before.
The only drawback I can see to him is that he doesn't have 3 point range, but the wiz have other guys on the roster who can shoot the 3.

Livingston and Arenas would be a great combination--think a slightly less explosive version of Larry Hughes, but with better ballhandling and passing and fewer bad shots and ill-advised gambles on steals. With Livingston running the offense, that would free Arenas to concentrate on scoring. They could run him off picks continually on the perimeter, which would free him for 3s or else iso him against a slower big guy. Also, Arenas wouldn't have to expend as much energy at the offensive end, so he wouldn't have an excuse not to play D.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | April 1, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

having one less guy jack up treys isn't always a bad thing. It seems like SL's BBall IQ is high enough that he knows not to take shots he has a low percentage of making, unlike Earl.

Great game from MM.Was that self depricating humor, or was MM talkin real?Does he really think he's lost that much game?

It's cool if he's joking, but his game this season has demonstrated that the game may not be coming to him as easily as it had earlier in his career. Maybe that explains some of his high turnover games and indecisiveness offensively. He's a good piece to bring off the bench, but i wouldn't bring him back to start. he'd be a nice 3 man off the bench with his shooting passing and rebounding ability. He's good at all those things, but maybe doesn't do any one of them well enough to merit starting next year.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I have the feeling that since the transfer of ownership to Leonsis has taken so long, we may very well see Grunfeld and Flip return next season. But I would be shocked if any FAs were extended before Leonsis is Owner.

This reminds me of the way the Redskins lost Trent Green.

I am of the opinion that everything in the front office should be replaced, if for no other reason, to shake up the franchise.

No more piece meal turnover, a GM or coach or players, but everything between Owner and towel boys. Including the name of this team. The franchise needs to divorce itself from its history over the past 30 years.

How much preparation has begun to that end?
How much time has been lost because of the Pollins dragging this sell out back in January.

Posted by: bozomoeman | April 1, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards aren't the only one taking note of Livingston's play. I just some team doesn't swoop in and overpay him to play backup PG.
Since it's already been declared that Arenas is staying with the team, it would be interesting to see a Livingston-Arenas backcourt. The defense would be atrocious, as is the norm, but the O could be nice with the ball going through Livinston instead of Arenas.

Posted by: and_1 | April 1, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

I just hope some team...

Posted by: and_1 | April 1, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I too would like to see Livingston signed for next year, but the idea of him and Gilbert in the same backcourt seems like a recipe for 85% of the guards in the league easily blowing past them in their first two steps. Can't see that helping our D much. Better to have Livingston backing up Gil than have two defensive liabilities on the floor together.

Posted by: mugsybol | April 1, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Evan Turner plays The D. So does John Wall.

Livingston has proven himself to be a keeper, even if only in a backup sense. Would be foolish not to try and resign him.

Posted by: divi3 | April 1, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree lilhollywood10.

My only contention is he won't BE on the team at all next year as he's on an expiring $11,750,000 now.

What you say about his play is spot on, a great 3 off the bench.

He's going to have to resign at a considerable discount to play that role. Despite his remarks, I just don't see it. Not without running through the league first with no offers, at any rate.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

i agree g

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

MM gets the luxury of Flip never calling him out, but that doesnt mean he personally wasnt in the dumps after the Rockets loss. Sure Flipper points the finger at AB in the postgame, but Miller is a pro who had to be thinking "I missed 4 layups. Ballgame"

So even after last night comeback performance he probably felt more relieved than anything else.

I dont see any team expecting him to start next season, so his offers will be of the backup role variety....cant envision any reason he'd choose DC over the rest of the interest in him.

Posted by: divi3 | April 1, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

That's three out of three votes for MM being a ghost in a WIZARDS uni - you, me, and lilhollywood10.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I like MM as a starting SF at the right price, say, about 5-6 million per year. He rebounds, he passes, he shoots (ok, not nearly as much as he should). You put him on the floor with a lineup with penetrators/slashers that force a D to scramble and he could really be deadly. The Wiz could do a lot worse.

Posted by: and_1 | April 1, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Assuming we get a top four pick after the lottery draw, we'll be good. Unlike last year, I think there are a solid top four in this draft. Wall, Turner, Cousins, and Favors.

Posted by: segastyle | April 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Which, of course, means the Wiz get the fifth pick ;-).

Posted by: and_1 | April 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I think we should run a poll on how many wins this team is goingt to get.

I'll go first: 23!

Posted by: sagaliba | April 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I think Livingston can play well together with Gil. With his height and can handle the ball, it can work like Gil and Larry Hughes did.

Posted by: sagaliba | April 1, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Short of having no better options and/or the Wizards overpaying, I can't see why Miller would come back next season. If a decent team offers him a comparable offer, why wouldn't he go someplace with a better shot at winning for the same money? He has no ties or loyalty to this team or area, there's clouds of uncertainty hanging over pretty much every aspect of the team/franchise, and this has to have been one of the most trying/disappointing seasons of his career (and considering he's spent the last few years in Minnesota and Memphis, that's saying something). I can't imagine he's anything but eager to leave this place in his rear view mirror.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

but i thought Flip said he's never run plays to get guys buckets. I mean that's what he said when AB wanted some touches downlow (lol, touches down low) earlier this year. Funny that he has the team "[keep] running the same play" that gets MM a layup. I'm just saying.
But honestly that's a good job by Flip, might be the first time i've seen him stick with something tha's working. Unlike the pulling of NY for Ross in the last 2 mins or so. NY had done a good job on Thornton ( a 20 pt scorer held to 10 before NY went out and 15 for the gm). I'm not even saying that NO staged a comeback b/c NY went out, but QRoss give you nothing, but another guy on the court that can't dribble or shoot, and hasn't played much all night. @nd night in a row that the Defense for Offense sub of Ross for NY has had dubious results in the 4th. Flip pulled the same move against HOU. If AB's out there with EB,JS,MM,and QR why wouldn't he shoot everytime. 3 of those guys have no game, and 1 won't shoot it. Put some other weapons out there, keep attacking. The wiz played scared ball down the stretch, cuz they saw another one slipping away. I dunno, QRoss just doesn't deserve to play IMHO.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Earl Boykins just named NBA comeback player of the year.

In other news, THE CA$H is closing in on the lead in the rookie of the year voting.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Let's see. The Wizards have the 4th worst record? That means they will end up with the 7th pick. Don't plan for top 4 players, but figure out who will be there that can help the Wizards at #7.

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | April 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

What are the odds of Miller and/or Blatche go down with season ending injuries? Isn't that the Bullets/Wizards curse? Seems like other teams have their stars and they never miss a game. Some bad luck we have huh?

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Now back to my "homer" ways...
The next four games give the Wizards their best chance of winning more than two consecutive games for the first time this season.

It gives some purpose to watching the several games.

Posted by: bozomoeman | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i think a sprained ankle is a season ending injury considering there are 8 games left. Anyone seen Al Thornton lately????????????? Seems like some possible season ending soreness.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"Now if he could make a habit out of driving to the rim a coupla more times a game, i think that would make him a tougher cover, and might even get him some of the calls that were missed last night."

In other words, if only he would make a habit of doing the things people have been waiting in vain for 3 years for him to make a habit of doing ...

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 1, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I like Livingston alot. He's a keeper. Can you imagine if Arenas has screwed his head on right and is ready to play basketball? That would be a formidable backcourt, Livingston at the 1 and Arenas at the 2. Nice.

Posted by: carterm1 | April 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

It would be if Arenas was actually a 2 guard.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

sure..........or just keep on doing the good things we've seen from him over the past 3 yrs.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

It would be if Arenas was actually a 2 guard.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 1, 2010 12:26 PM

Everybody knows he's actually a 1/2 guard.

Posted by: and_1 | April 1, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, they can both be 1/2 guards, like Arenas and Larry Hughes used to do.

The height of Livingston can make up for Arenas' lack of length at the 2. If opponent puts a shorter guard on Livingston, then he can shoot over him. OTOH, if they put the shorter guard at Arenas, then Arenas' length would not be a problem, and can play like a SG (we all know that Arenas can score).

Posted by: sagaliba | April 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | April 1, 2010 12:54 PM

I was being sarcastic. I happen to agree with you.

Posted by: and_1 | April 1, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"Well, they can both be 1/2 guards, like Arenas and Larry Hughes used to do."

Livingston isn't nearly the athlete nor the scorer Hughes was in his prime. Arenas needs the ball in his hands most of the time to be effective, while Livingston (unlike Hughes) has never shown any particular knack for playing off the ball.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 1, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 1, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

never had to, he was always the lead guard. but i see what you're saying. it'd be nice to flirt with the combo, but i think kal's right overall. Gil's need to have the ball in his hands would take away from SL's playmaking ability, and he isn't a big time scorer anyway. SL would still be a good guy to bring off the bench or when matchups make it necessary for him to start though. If people were clamoring for Gee to be signed, SL should be a no brainer.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"never had to, he was always the lead guard."

Yeah, that was (quite clearly) my point.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"and BTW for Kal and rphilli, NY did play more than 20 mins last night and was held to single digits, not a huge surprise to you, i'm sure, but mildly disappointing to me. He did play good D, tried to hustle for rebs, and even got an assist that he wasn't credited for. He also had much better shot selection ( a few good drives to the rim). Now if he could make a habit out of driving to the rim a coupla more times a game, i think that would make him a tougher cover, and might even get him some of the calls that were missed last night."

He played closer to 40 mins. He is a dud. Face it! He sucks. He didn't hustle any more than he ever does which is to say he doesn't. Please. Fake hustle maybe. Real hustle produces results. 2 rbs, 9 points, and ZERO assists in 37 mins. Wow! So much for your theory that if you just played him 20+ mins the results would follow. Told you that made no logical sense. I've never seen a guard so allergic to assists in my life. He just sucks!

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 1, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Agree that Livingston is primarily a PG and not a scorer, but he has demonstrated in NO game that he can score over a shorter guard by simply shoot over him.

I think Arenas also likes to play with someone who can handle the ball. I don't think Arenas needs to be a pure SG, they can mix and match and share PG duties; and while one is off the court, the other can be the full time PG.

Posted by: sagaliba | April 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

rphilli721, my theory is that NY is useless unless you give him some shots. A shooter isnt shooting is a liability.

It's like asking Durant or Melo to specialize in defense and not put the ball up at all.

NY is nowhere near their class but he is clearly not best utilized when he's only getting 5-10 shots per game.

Posted by: original_mark | April 1, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 1, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"real hustle" doesn't always necessarily equate results on the stat sheet. that's why they're called hustle plays, they affect the game but don't always show up on the stat sheet.
No one said that if you play him 20+ mis results would follow. More so, i said that he plays better when he's given 20+ mins. I think it's proven if you look at his numbers in games in which he played 20+ vs. games when he played under 20 mins. He didn't have a good shooting night, but he played under control on offense, and held their leading scorer to 10 pts while he was in the game ( a stat that doesn't have a column in the box score).
I didn't say he had a good game last night, but I'd give him a C for last night. But he's gone for double digits 14 of the past 21 games he's played over 20 mins (66%). I can deal with him being off every third game right now. If he had a steady role i'm sure he'd settle in.

BTW the 14/30 gms goes all the way back to dec 1. It took 4 mos to amass 21 games with 20+ mins played. That's 5 shots at 20+ mins per month. With him being off on every 3rd game i can understand why some of you don't like what you see.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

14/21

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | April 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

he shot over houston's guards on tuesday night and NO's guards last night. were you watching? i'm not in the SL 2 guard camp, but he was trying to use his size on the smaller guards both nights. I'm just sayin.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10,

NO means New Orleans, I was saying the same thing as you!

Posted by: sagaliba | April 1, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Lil, I think sag meant that he *did* demonstrate that he could shoot over smaller guards. I think that capital NO is New Orleans, not an emphatic "NO" At least that's how I took it.

As for NY and beating the dead horse of the over / under 20 mins. The question with NY is not whether he will score if he plays more than 20 mins. Ample evidence to show that he will. The question is and remains, how will he score and will he do all of the other things that a guy playing more than 20mins needs to do, like play D, not shoot the ball every time he touches it, etc.

He has definitely made more of an effort lately to do some of the other things, even though they haven't yet showed up in the stat sheet. I don't mind that much right now if he doesn't get assists, his role is primarily as a scorer. I would like to see more effort rebounding when needed and also make sure he focuses on attacking the rim, since not many others on the team right now can do it.

Posted by: ts35 | April 1, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

silly silly. My bad sag.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

RPHILLI if miller don't miss 3 layups the other night he ain't gotta tell flip i made 1 and nick would have had 4 assits, assits comes from made shots. THE ONLY PERSON WHO DON'T SEE NICK PASS THE BALL IS STEVIE WONDER.

Posted by: maejude | April 1, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

don't waste your breath

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 1, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

If Arenas Has to have the ball in his hands to be effective, sombody's got to explain why he was paired with Daniels so often in the 4th quarter.

Before that when Gil and Larry played together they often switched off on the ball handling role. Again, often in the 4th Gil moved off the ball to get setup to score.

Don't think Gil would ever be a Richard Hamilton type that would run a guy off screens til his tongue fell out, but he's shown an ability to play off the ball and be a primary scorer with plays ran to get him his shot.

A lot will depend on the draft draw, I don't think anybody in this league will pass on Wall or Turner. Given one of the first two picks the Wiz will pick one of those two guys.

My personal choice is Favors, the kid's got Chris Webber kind of skills, just needs more gym time to work on his post moves and expand his shooting range. Everything I've read about him just describes a coach's dream. The kid is hungry to get better.

All other things being equal, I'd go with a front court guy...
GM