Ted Leonsis steps closer, ex-Wizards step up

Capitals owner Ted Leonsis moved one step closer to owning the Wizards and Verizon Center yesterday, when the Pollin family announced that they had reached a deal to sell its majority share to him. Learn more about Leonsis in this timely profile by Les Carpenter.

Columnist Tracee Hamilton also weighed in, on the challenges of owning two sports teams in one town. And Dan Steinberg shared his conversation with Leonsis about fame.

Just when "Pick on Caron Butler Week" started picking up steam, the former Wizard scored 35 points in Dallas's 103-81 victory over San Antonio last night. Brendan Haywood contributed eight points, eight rebounds and four blocks, in a game that staved off elimination for the Mavs, who are now down 3-2 in the series.

Meanwhile, Michael Wilbon was on hand for the Lakers' dismantling of the Thunder late last night. And the Celtics and Cavaliers advanced to the next round.

Highlights from all of last night's games are below, courtesy of NBA.com.

By Alexa Steele  |  April 28, 2010; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Deal finalized for sale of Wizards (Updated)
Next: Dallas Wizards lose in first round

Comments

seemslike the league and sponsors want more games ie more commercials and ad revenue for the league...........what's that mr donaghey?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 28, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

...and transfer ownership in a month to six weeks, after the financing for the deal is in place.

The Pollin family will still be the owners come ping pong day which means the Wizards will not get one of the top 5 picks?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 28, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 28, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

and if we do there's still a chance we trade it for CA$H! LMAO! I kid i kid.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 28, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

CB was hitting bad shots last night....will be interesting see if he's green lighted in game6 or if Dirk steps back up to try an carry the team (like he should)

Posted by: divi3 | April 28, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

CB can shoot you into or out of a game. He's had his "good" game, now expect him to come out gunning and missing in game 6. If Carlisle doesn't sit him, the sixth game will be the last game of this series.

On another note, I was REALLY hoping that Leonsis would be the majority owner in every sense of the word by lottery time. I feel that the team has bad karma and would be well on their way to changing the negative vibe with Leonsis. I'm not expecting any quick fixes and in fact I see the Oklahoma Thunder as the blueprint. Of course, it's hard to "blueprint" getting lucky twice in the lottery as OK did but we have to start holding on to these draft picks and turning them into franchise cornerstones.

Posted by: and_1 | April 28, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: and_1 | April 28, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for signing in. Your washingtonpost.com User ID, gtefferra, will be displayed with your comment.
Comments:

Posted by: gtefferra | April 28, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The PR spin associated with Caron's and Haywood's trade to Dallas continues. The AP story linked to above said the former Wizards were expected to bring "toughness and athleticism" to the Mavs. (I guess the key is to have the word "Tuff" in your nickname.) Those wouldn't be the first two words I would use to describe those two. I don't wish Caron any ill-will but, apparently, the Mavs expect him to be a big time scorer when he really should be is a very good "glue guy," role player. If I'm a Mavs fan, the last thing I want is more encouragement for Caron to shoot contested jump shots, even if he did get 35 one night.

On the ownership development, I'm less worried about bad Wizards karma then I am about earning trading the picks for some big name, expensive vets.

Posted by: jweber1 | April 28, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

what amazes me is how consistently Dirk is willing to take a backseat to whomever they have on the roster that's willing to jack shots. Mind boggling that at this stage in Nowitski's career he's willing to let CB determine the outcome of these games

Posted by: divi3 | April 28, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Nowitzki isn't a product of the U.S. basketball system so it's not a surprise that he doesn't have the kind of "me first, second, third, and fourth" attitude commonly seen among big American hoops stars. Basketball success is seen as much more of a team accomplishment in Europe than in the star-driven NBA. It's not like Nowitzki shies away from taking big shots in big moments. He's just not a guy who believes that any shot he can hoist up is automatically a good one. If the coach dials up a play for someone else, he's not going to pout about it or refuse to enter the game.

Besides, it's kind of backwards to criticize him for not being selfish enough the day after his team won a big game by getting other guys involved.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 28, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"If I'm a Mavs fan, the last thing I want is more encouragement for Caron to shoot contested jump shots, even if he did get 35 one night."

Agreed, but one of the reasons he was effective in this one is because he wasn't always settling for contested jumpers.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 28, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Carlisle drew up a bunch of "CB from 23ft semi-contested" plays last night, but I bet he took 10 of those.

imo it's not a euro thing so much as an individual player's personal makeup

Posted by: divi3 | April 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

imo it's not a euro thing so much as an individual player's personal makeup

Posted by: divi3

Makes more sense that he did it in Game 5, when it seemed like Caron was in rhythm and the Spurs never really threatened, than it did in game 4, when it was close and CB was not hitting.

It's always possible some of it is fatigue.

Posted by: ts35 | April 28, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that if Butler is jacking up shots, it's because the coaches suggested it. Probably to take some of the attention off Nowitzki.

As for Haywood -- I'm not a fan, but I have wondered why Dampier was starting again. He's not the same player he was a few years back. The team seemed to sag a bit when he returned during the regular season. I still think the Spurs win in six, but I've never been great at predicting, and this one could surprise.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 28, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

any coach that wants CB taking more shots than Dirk for two consecutive playoff games has forgotten where his bread is buttered!

agree about BTH, must have started Damps out of some misguided loyalty or whatever.

Posted by: divi3 | April 28, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

About making predictions: It's one thing to take a stab at the order of finish in the division, or total wins during a season, but I can't understand why anyone would want to make predictions about stuff we can't possibly predict. Stuff like whether Leonsis will replace the coaches, or hire a President of B-ball Operations -- I mean, how would we know, out here in WaPo-land? We have gossip, and whatever hints Ted himself drops in the media, but other than that, bupkis.

Maybe it's just the entertainment value. Say one of our wild guesses comes to pass, do we feel smart? Like we're especially good guessers? Do we insist we 'knew it all along', when in fact, we couldn't have? It's like going to the track with a guy who puts $20 on a 40 to 1 shot and hits. Does that mean he has some special ability? I'm assuming he wasn't cheating -- not a Wall Street type. He was lucky. Certainly doesn't mean that it was a sound bet. But you know that guy is probably thinking, 'I'm on a hot streak, I'm playing long shots the rest of the afternoon..." And he never hits another one, of course.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 28, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Give San Antonio some credit. They are routinely double-teaming Nowitski who is often forced to pass out of the double team, often to Butler who never seems to see a contested jumper he doesn't like.

If they sit Butler then I guess they can then go with DeBrick, picking their preferred flavor of Wizards poison. I must say its a relief and wryly amusing to see Butler infecting Dallas with some of the same bad Wizards habits we grew to know and loathe over the past 2 years.

Still, either way a Texas team is going to advance so that's a shame.....

Posted by: ArchieTambo | April 28, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Clearly you're a little hazy on the purpose of sports bloggery.

Posted by: ts35 | April 28, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"Clearly you're a little hazy on the purpose of sports bloggery.Posted by: ts35"

Purpose? I thought it was to attract hits to the website.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 28, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of former Wizards, how bout a little love for Mike Harris, who had 26 and 16 in the D League championship game (which his team won):

Posted by: PostSubscriber | April 28, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

"The PR spin associated with Caron's and Haywood's trade to Dallas continues. The AP story linked to above said the former Wizards were expected to bring "toughness and athleticism" to the Mavs. (I guess the key is to have the word "Tuff" in your nickname.) Those wouldn't be the first two words I would use to describe those two. "

I think you should be looking at the "toughness" (less clearly the "athleticism") on a relative scale. I don't see any doubt that Butler is tougher than most (probably all) of the other Mavericks (as is Stevenson, although he certainly has other problems). Is Haywood as tough as Dampier? Hard to say, but he's certainly tougher than the majority of the Mavs other than Butler and Stevenson.

Posted by: fansincebullets | April 28, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Butler plays good one game every 9 or 10. Never doubt his talent, problem is he eats plastic.. and with that you get comments and "game" like ts35. ha! "Caron was in rhythm".
and GOODBYE GRUNFELD!!!

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | April 28, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Haywood's lack of presumed dominance was probably the reason that Damps was started. However, his starting the last game, might have told someone in Dallas that Haywood's value comes from team play, knowing how to play center and being a good fit for overall team effectiveness.

Even though Damps is tougher than Haywood, he is not overall as effective as Haywood.

Neutralizing Duncan appeared to be a prime strategy and why Damps may have gotten the nod, but it appears that that strategy probably should be secondary to overall team effectiveness which is better with Haywood than with Dampier.

Haywood's lack of individual dominence tends to overshadow the effectiveness he adds to team play.

Hopefully Dallas goes with him also tomorrow night rather than Damps. For, the overall effectiveness of their team is more important to them winning than having Dampier muscle Tim Duncan is.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 28, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"Dirk didnt get other guys involved, he just played passive while CB jacked up shots. Dirk had what, 2 assists and 1 FT attempt? Not exactly the same as when Lebron gets others involved."

More of the same. Do you even bother reading before replying anymore?

(B) Just because a guy doesn't get a lot of assists doesn't mean he's not getting others involved by keeping the ball moving so that it gets to the open man rather than just being a back hole and forcing up shots.

So, either way you look at it, you're wrong.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 28, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I forgot:

(C) What the hell does Lebron have to do with anything? Oh right, nothing.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 28, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Make that: "rather than just being a black hole and forcing up shots."

If you're interested in back holes, however, and want more info, contact bf78.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 28, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Purpose? I thought it was to attract hits to the website.

Posted by: Samson151

Posted by: ts35 | April 29, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I am so glad to see Leonsis get what he deserves the majority ownership. I do not have anything really bad to say about Pollin but that he was too nice and did not make some of the hard changes that needed to be made.

I would have never hired Saunders to coach the Wizards. I would have hired Avery Johnson because this team needs defense and discipline.

I hope the first thing Leonsis do is fire the GM, He sucks. I would love to see the Wizards become competitive, not necessarily win a championship right away but be competitive. Also I woul dlove for him to trade or get rid of Arenas, he has been nothing but a cancer to this team

Posted by: Al_The_Truth | April 29, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fansincebullets | April 28, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

fansincebullets--This is getting a bit esoteric (what is the definition of toughness?), but here is why I often challenge the Caron-as-tough storyline: The Wizards clearly need more toughness. Toughness comes in two forms--phony toughness (you have a nickname and you chew straws or whatever) and old-fashion Jerry Sloan/Scott Skiles mental and physical toughness. The second type, to me, means you bring it ever night, you play tough in-your-face defense (versus cheating for steals), you hit the boards hard, you take direction from the coach even if you don't like it, you take charges, you commit hard/clean fouls to send a message, you hustle back in transition, you don't back down from anyone on the other team, you challenge bigger players. Caron Butler does not meet many of those standards. He has a great personal story of rising out of a bad neighborhood and family situation, he works out hard, he's a decent guy--but, no, he is not a premier NBA tough basketball player. When he's peddled as one it distorts what we should be valuing as a tough-minded player.

Posted by: jweber1 | April 29, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

"No silly rabbit, sports bloggery exists so that everyone can discuss all aspects of sports in whatever way they choose, and float their own theories and opinions from the cogent to the hair-brained, including things like long diatribes on the nature of 'hindsight.'Posted by: ts35"

Why not just leg it down to the barber shop and get a haircut (harecut?) at the same time?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 29, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"(A) I never said "Dirk got others involved." I said "his team won a big game by getting other guys involved," meaning that getting more contributions from people not named Dirk was part of the game plan, as opposed to Dirk doing it all."

Speaking of which, Dirk needs to take over Game6 and not leave it to Caron! He cant let the series outcome hang on a crappy jab step into a contested J

Posted by: divi3 | April 29, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

BJennings pouring gas on the EG hindsight fire last night!

Posted by: divi3 | April 29, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If you're interested in back holes, however, and want more info, contact bf78.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 28, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

First you write about your mother using foreign objects on you and now you write this?

For all of you who thought it was just hind sight (no pun intended) when I kept telling you the Wizards with the big 3 sucked, Ernie is a worthless GM and Flip is an overrated coach you were right.

I must be clairvoyant!

I wrote kal had a grudge against the people on here who have BB knowledge and that it came from him being picked on during his formative years and now the truth comes out...kal is a homosexual and his father must have wanted him to play basketball and since he would rather stayed home and played house with his mother he takes it out on the people who can play the game.

Not that there's anything wrong with that

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 29, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

And to think Brandon Jennings is only two years removed from high school!

Posted by: and_1 | April 29, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Thank God Ted Leonsis is coming to save the Wizards. At last this team will have the visionary leadership it so badly needs. Finally a proven tested owner who knows what it takes to build a winning team, a team that can live up to the high expectations of greatness. no more one and dones in the playoffs, no more second round outs when everyone is expecting them to contend. Nope. It'll all be different when Ted takes over.

Just look at what he's done with the Caps.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"If you think they sit down pregame and plan out CB taking 25 shots while Dirk backs off and plays passive, you are really fooling yourself."

It, of course, goes without saying that I not only don't think that, but said nothing that would make anyone with any intellectual common sense think I did. But keep holding onto that straw man.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

divi3

Are you saying because Jennings team is beating the Hawks, which use to crush Ernie's team that Ernie made a mistake in choosing Foye instead?

melodious_thunk

now what do you have to say about Ernie?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 29, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"He cant let the series outcome hang on a crappy jab step into a contested J"

Have you ever actually seen Nowitzki play? Because that's a near perfect description of of about 85% of the shots he takes.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Then why did you make this post before the series?

In order for the Mavericks to win coach Rick Carlisle will have to draw up a plan so CB can take 25 shots while Dirk backs off and plays passive.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 29, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"And for all the talk of Euro players being so unselfish and team guys, while American players want to be the MAN all the time etc etc...bottomline is American players are the best of the very best. So whatever attitude Europeans are supposedly carrying that affects their play, they need to lose it if they want to win."

So which is it? Should star players be selfish chuckers who only have eyes for the rim? Or should they be team-first guys who look to get others involved?

Can't have it both ways.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"Really? And weren't you one of the people riding Arenas for being a selfish ballhog? For jacking up shots and not getting his teammates involved? Essentially for doing the very things you're now criticizing Nowitzki for not doing (despite the fact that his not doing it helped his team win a game they had to win)?"

No, I wasn't one of those people.

Posted by: divi3 | April 29, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"And the Mavs win despite Dirk playing passive, but they always lose in the end...because when push really comes to shove, he takes a step back."

Which makes having a guy who can step up and fill the void during those times (like Butler did last game) an asset.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 10:31 AM

and .... having Haywood adding overall effective play from the center position rather than having Dampier muscle Duncan.

You can admit it, starting Dampier just because he is tougher than Haywood means squat if it dosen't benifit the effectiveness of team play.

That is the supreme issue that folks like you Kalo_rama missed and refused to acknowledge when it came to Haywood.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 29, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

See what happens when I stay up late?

Posted by: ts35 | April 29, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

For haven't the Barber Shop/Parlour been where all walks of life can go and have a chitchat about anything under the sun.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 29, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Lol, actually Larry, there's not a lot of points being made on either side of our discussion, we're just poking at each other with sticks =)

Posted by: ts35 | April 29, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Yep, I could actually see that, but too often some's on here would rather draw blood rather than have a spirited discourse.

You know I know people personaly that in any given conversation when a different opinion is offered they become personal and emotional and downright argmentative.

Some people don't have the temperment to discuss differing opinions without getting upset and making it personal.

Small banter to the longer flowing I like when civility is always exhibited.

You guys and a lot others can conversate a bit without making it ugly.

Keep it rockin'.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Haywood's effectiveness was and is, in team play and not individual play, so while you are giving Butler some love, give Haywood some love also for being more effective in one game this series than Dampier has been starting all the rest."

I would if that were true. But given that they won Game 1 with Dampier starting (and lost game 4 in large part because of Haywood's inability to contain Duncan in the 4th quarter) the fact is that it's not.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe it was Game 3 where Haywood got torched by Duncan in the 4th. They all blur together after a while.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

melodious_thunk

now what do you have to say about Ernie?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 29, 2010 9:43 AM

What I've always said. Ernest Grunfeld's the best GM in the league and he'll be here for many more years. Pollin (RIP) wanted a championship like yesterday and was desirous of players who could make an immediate contribution toward that end. So, Ernest, shrewd GM that he is, was able to unload Etan, Songalia and Pech while bringing in Foye and Miller. You don't blame him for a) complying with the owner's wishes and b) getting rid of guys who were no longer in the grand scheme of things, do you?

Posted by: melodious_thunk | April 29, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ted.
The guy found out the hard way that owning the cursed Wizards can have unintended consequences. He and the Caps now know all too well that the good times are over and the dark clouds are here to stay. The Caps became the first No. 1 seed to blow a 3-1 series lead against a No. 8 seed. Somebody gently break it to him that this is only the beginning of the heartache and his fortunes will never be the same. Poor Ted.

Posted by: 2020doc | April 29, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ted.

Posted by: 2020doc | April 29, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The NBA team GM's voted on who was should be named "Executive of the Year" & Ernie Grunfeld received ZERO votes. John Hammond, the Bucks GM received 12 of 30 votes, Oklahoma City's Sam Presti was second with nine votes and Cleveland's Danny Ferry took third with two votes.

Ernie Grunfeld is and was a horrible GM. His supporters have embarked on a PR campaign where they are trying to create a new reality in-which all of those bad decisions that Ernie Grunfeld made, were made at behalf of a desperate owner. I'm not buying it. Grunfeld should be person #1 first to go from the front ofice.

Posted by: closg | April 29, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

closg,

I hate to burst your bubble but "Executive of the Year" is hardly the end-all and be-all award for an outstanding GM. To wit: How many votes did the NBA GMs who've actually won the last handful of championships get this year?
The word on the street is they tied our Ernest with ZERO (NADA, ZILCH) votes this year. Hell, I hear that the Kings GM, who valiantly led his team to fewer wins than the Wizards garnered this season, received at least one vote. In short, your EOY award is (forgive me) meaningless.
I stand by my statement that Ernest Grunfeld is the best GM in the NBA and, given free reign, will continue to prove it over the coming years.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | April 29, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: melodious_thunk | April 29, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I do blame him!

Etaps and OP were on the last years of their contracts so they would be out of here anyway.

DSong was a banger which the Wizards desperately need...

and the point you conventitly left out was a guy like Jennings would have not only helped them this year but for at least 5 more years!

Instead Ernie has nothing unless he signs Foye for last years draft pick.

Name one championship caliber team that doesn't have a couple of draft choices that are helping them win?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 29, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

There is one big difference:

Haywood was not a winner here. The arguments are not about whther Haywood is affective in Dallas (and I'd say that playing alongside a 7' that can play four position and is an annual all-star and is a first ballot hall of famer can make a lot of guys on his team more effective). The argument was whether Haywood was worth paying a high $$$, long term contract when he is on the wrong side of thirty, had a history of being a whiner, took 9 years to develop and your team is in a COMPLETE rebuilding mode.

What the haywood "detractors," like myself, were saying is that he has no value TO THE WIZARDS.

I still say he is a loser, but that point is debatable. His value to the Wizards is not.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | April 29, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 29, 2010 2:36 PM

This may come as a surprise to you, and feel free to share this with others, but the Wizards actually do have players that they drafted on their roster. When the Wizards become a championship-caliber team, at least "a couple" of those guys will still be on the squad. Again, disseminate widely.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | April 29, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

closg,

Posted by: melodious_thunk | April 29, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Once again EG's moves didn't work, those gms that won championships may not have recieved votes this year, but they've won championships, somethin EG has never done.

What is your criteria when grading a GM? To say that EG is the best in the NBA strips you of all credibility. Would the best GM in the NBA pay $100 mil to Gil with a shredded knee, during the same summer he gave AJ $50 mil at the ripe age of 31. You follow that up with the team making NO significant FA acquisitions prior to the 19 win season and the clusterphuck that he made of the 09 draft and i'm not sure what you mean by BEST.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

is it supposed to be funny that you say "Executive of The year" is hardly the end all be all award for an outstanding GM (please name another one then) then in the same post say that EG is the best in the league?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

He's not the best, but he's hardly the worst. He took a team that had had no hint of success for decades and made it relevant again. A lot of the venom directed towards him is a result of the team's failure to meet expectations that never would have existed if he hadn't done the job he did early on.

If there's someone better to replace him with, then adios EG. but getting rid of him just for the sake of getting rid of him and thinking that things will magically improve is silly.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

melodious_thunk wrote:
"I hate to burst your bubble but "Executive of the Year" is hardly the end-all and be-all award for an outstanding GM."
...........................................

*BUZZER* The exact opposite is true. The NBA Executive of the Year Award is in-fact THE ONLY award given to the leagues BEST general manager and it is officially recognized by the NBA.

What you think about Ernie Grunfeld is worthless, his peers have already issued their verdict on Ernie Grunfeld and he has been already been fired twice previously.

Posted by: closg | April 29, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Not that I in any way endorse the whole "Grunfeld is the best GM in the NBA" idea because that's so wrong . . . but the idea that winning an award is an objective measure of quality is ridiculous.

Steve Nash won two MVP awards. Was he the best player in the NBA those two years? Nope. Marisa-freaking-Tomei won an Oscar. Was she the best actress in Hollywood that year? Hardly.

Then Scott Skiles must be the worst coach, because he's been fired twice as well. And Larry Brown must be worse than worst, considering how many times he's been fired.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

closg,

I will state my thoughts more succintly--GMs who have built championship teams that are still very much alive, kicking and relevant received the same number of votes as your despised Grunfeld. Does EOY tell you anything about the job they did this year relative to Ernest Grunfeld when they all received ZERO votes? The award simply does not reflect the absolute worth of a GM or tell the total picture when it comes to evaluating a GM.

Further, it's obvious that winning and winning big is not the most important criteria for the award since Mitch Kupchak led his team to the best record in the West, his team is the defending champion and he snared a grand total of ZERO votes.

When the EOY reflects something substantial (you know, like winning championships or assembling arguably the best team in the league), get back to me. Right now, the award merely reflects (forgive me again), at best, the "Executive Whose Team Made the Playoffs After Being a Lottery Team the Year Before" (EWTMPABLTYB).

Have we found common ground???

Posted by: melodious_thunk | April 29, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ted.

Posted by: 2020doc | April 29, 2010 1:06 PM

Actually the Caps are the most choking dog franchise of any team in ANY sport. Last night was nothing new, it was failure to break the pattern that's been in place since the '80s.

Posted by: divi3 | April 29, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Following a 19 win season, a lot of us looked forward to the team picking a high draft choice, bringing back Gil and retooling, while trying to build our way back up. Instead EG, under the iron fist of Abraham Pollin, traded away the aforementioned pick to add players that were better equipped to help us "win now".He brought in a coach with a big time resume and people couldn't stop talking about 50 wins seasons and championship contention.

Following a 19 win season with ZERO draft selections and NO FAs of value,I for one was prepared to endure a rebuilding season. I knew Gil had to get his legs under him and reintegrate into the team. i had a feeling that the team would take some time adjusting to Flip. Our former allstars were losing their form.CB was becoming a turnover machine last year (the 19 win one), and i was blasted for calling out AJ as a black hole during that season as well. For all my doubts, EG,FLIP and my brothers in bloggetry preached on about 50 wins. It had nothing to do with the years past, EG was selling us on Flip,MM, and RF (and the return of Gil).

The disappointment isn't that we were unable to reopen the window that closed on the big 3 when gil got hurt. the disappointment is EG was pissin on all our legs and callin it a thunderstorm last offseason. He said we had a contender, he (and Flip) said we could win 50 games with this team. That wasn't years ago, that was the beginning of THIS season. I'm disappointed cuz this guy said they could win 50 games and they barely hit half of that.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"I'm disappointed cuz this guy said they could win 50 games and they barely hit half of that. "

In other words you're disappointed because the team failed to live up to expectations that only existed because Grunfeld created them.

In other words, exactly what I said in the first place.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Instead EG, under the iron fist of Abraham Pollin,...

Posted by: lilhollywood10

Very clever and funny!!

Posted by: harrybalz | April 29, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

also, Boz' caps article today is a must read for anyone thinking that Leonsis has some special ability to create contenders out of thin air. The Caps are a Don Nelson team and in no way legit contenders for the Lord Stanley's Cup.

Let's hope he takes some lessons from that when rebuilding the Wizards...

Posted by: divi3 | April 29, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Just my piece on the EOY and Ernie:

Ernie is not the best executive this year.

He is also not the worst this year.

In my opinion, he was better than average.

I don't know how the votes are made, but I don't think it is like "rank the 30 execs from 1 being best and 30 being worst" or even "Vote for the top ten." It is "Vote for your one choice as the best exec."

By the voting presented above, that means that only 9 execs received even one vote. That means 21 execs received no votes. That also means that at least 8 execs that made the playoffs received no votes. So Ernie's company includes some pretty good execs.

That being said, when he interviews for his next job, about 3 days later, he should feel free to say that he made some bad mioves because his previous made him do it and that he learned his lesson and will always work to build a winner in his new position, even if it means telling the new boss that he is wrong.

People do it all the time. You do what your boss tells you so you can keep your job, even though you think your boss is wrong. Things go south and you collected the paycheck, so you have to take the fall. You tell your next employer what happened and you move on.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | April 29, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Now if Ernie made the decisions over the past 2-3 years at the request of his boss, the ownership and since those decisions didn't pan out, Ernie should probably be fired for either agreeing with them or for not telling ownership how wrong he was."

How do you know he did either of those things? For all you know he could have both disagreed with them and told Pollin that they were wrong.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

In other words, exactly what I said in the first place.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse
what you said was

"A lot of the venom directed towards him is a result of the team's failure to meet expectations that never would have existed if he hadn't done the job he did early on."

so it's very similar to saying "expectations that only existed because Grunfeld created them," but it's the small details that betray you. when you said

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Come out come out where ever you are?

Where are all of the people who got on me after Ernie traded the 5th pick for MM and Foye?

There were people who said that trade was better then Clev getting Shaq, Orl getting Carter and Bos signing Wallace.

All 3 of those teams are still in the playoffs while Ernie's team won 26 games?

The only thing Ernie is great at was the con job he pulled on the old man and a few of the fans that are on here.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 29, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

find SDTMSU or whatever he was the main guy talkin bout how Cle and Bos would struggle with Shaq and Sheed. he spouted off big talk bout how the majic wouldn't succeed with a heartless jacker like VC. How bout it BF78. I was soooooo prepared to eat a whole serving dish of crow if the wiz pulled off 40-50 wins. u wouldn't be aable to find a person around more happy to be wrong. And BTW i'm not claiming to have had concrete knowledge of the impossible, i just recognized something that IMHO didn't pass the smell test.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

was tyreke evans really that much better that jennins this year? i mean if i use u guys AB argument, Reke was on a really bad team so he shouldn't have even been on the ROY ballot, right?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"it is implied if not outright said that the job that EG did in previous years created the expectations of similar job performance.
But that's not what i'm saying at all. I didn't expect the Wiz to just snap back into the wiz that were running the SE division. i felt like the window was closed. As i said EG was selling us on Flip, MM, and RF all pieces that he just brought in, not people that had been their while he was getting the job done "early on". So yes i am disappointed that he created expectations through his words this year not his work "early on"(just saying we're a playoff team, vs making the playoffs 4 yrs straight)."

Bull.

If it hadn't been for the expectations created by the team's performance prior to Arenas' injury, then the 50 win predictions coming into this season never would have been made (or would have been laughed at if they had been). To suggest that the expectations for the team coming into this season were somehow wholly separate from the expectations created by the 4 year playoff run is utterly ridiculous, even for you.

This years' expectations of contention were built on the foundation of that earlier success and seen as the long-awaited culmination of those earlier expectations. They are part and parcel of one another. Any argument that they're not is complete crap.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope he takes some lessons from that when rebuilding the Wizards...

Posted by: divi3

With respect Divi, IMO, Boz changes with the prevailing wind. Had he written that article before the playoffs started, I would be impressed.

The Caps ran into a tough matchup for them in the first round. If you look at their season stats against the Habs, pretty much everything that happened to them in the playoffs, happened in the regular season. You can fault them for failing to make adjustments, but it's not the same as saying they are fundamentally flawed. I liken it more to the Pistons having to learn to beat the Celtics in the late 80s and the Bulls had to learn to beat the Pistons in the '90s. The Caps are a young team and for all of their brilliance, are still learning to win in the playoffs.

Having an owner who is patient enough to build a talent base over time is a valuable thing. Let's not chuck the strategy because of one bad playoff exit.

Posted by: ts35 | April 29, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Bull.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 29, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

are you totally diminishing the role of EG hiring a coach with a sign above his head that said "I've won 50 games this many times", and then on that very day talking about winning 50 games and championship contention?. Correct me if i'm wrong but during all the work that EG did "early on" the wiz NEVER won 50 games with him as GM. They do not have that history, and even if i was expecting the same performance from "early on" those years were still first round exits and one second round flameout. Nothing EG did "early on" won 50 games, a championship or even contended for a title. it was the work he though he did this past summer that was supposed to bring us back from 19 win Hades. Boistop

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Have we found common ground???

Posted by: melodious_thunk | April 29, 2010 3:28 PM

If Grunfeld is as good as you say he is, he better snag the EWTMPABLTYB award next April...no excuses.

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 29, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

agree Boz is writing in hindsight...but the biggest choke in NHL history has got to have organizational ramifications right? On the other hand, being the Phoenix Suns is a great business model if not a championship one.

Posted by: divi3 | April 29, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 29, 2010 4:58 PM

If AB plays like an all-star next season and we have a little luck in the draft, the rebuild will be ahead of schedule. And I think EG stays at least next season, though Ted is probably breathing fire right about now so who knows

Posted by: divi3 | April 29, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

The difference is that Ovie, Semin, Green, Carlson, and a lot of the other top talent on the team are in the early part of their careers. So much like your "AB is still young and will develop" stance, the Caps still have room for their top talent to mature.

Certainly choking a 3-1 lead never looks good. But it's a far way from saying they are the Phoenix Suns. Also, because of the nature of hockey lines and the number of players on a team, it's possible to upgrade the areas you need to without blowing up the team or scrapping the system.

Posted by: ts35 | April 29, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 29, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse
4 draft choices and a decent amount of cap room should be a good start for EG's 2010-2011 exec of the year campaign. He won't have Rasputin over his shoulder forcing him to make personell moves anymore so i guess we will see the "real" EG in rebuild mode.

does anybody really want MM,RF or Lil Earl back next year? How bout OLDberto? If we don't want Q Ross do we have to buy him out? Or can the team deny his player option if he picks it up?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Canadiens = Habs??

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 29, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I cant wait for the draft!! I gotta know who are we gonna get!!

I like Evan Turner as my top choice. I would be happy also with Wall, and Favors, but my question is can Favors play center legitimately? Maybe I'm off but Favors to me seems like a Chris Webber style player. Could we put him and Blatche together is what I'm driving at. Cousins interests me, but I think I'd rather have Favors, and possibly even Monroe.

Draftexpress keeps having us taking Aminu, god I hope that's not who we end up with!

Posted by: Darnell1 | April 29, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

In addition I'd go after David Lee. And I'd take the funds instead of for Miller and Howard to go after Rudy Gay.

Posted by: Darnell1 | April 29, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Also take the funds from Foye and instead go get Kyle Lowry.

Posted by: Darnell1 | April 29, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

"See what happens when I stay up late?
Anyway, I've tried. Even with as much effort as you put into your hindsight discourse, the fine ladies at the Hair Cuttery really didn't seem that interested. They seemed to think that you're the kind of person who wants to play in the mud yet pretend to be above it all. I told them I thought that was unfair, but they were pretty convincing.Posted by: ts35"

LOL, looks like my poor attempt at a pun fell flat. Not the first time.

But congrats on that zinger about the Hair Cuttery and the mud -- the full 50,000 volts from your verbal taser.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 29, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

"Actually TS35, Samson151 unwittingly proved your point and what you were saying.
However TS35, we both know Samson151 is not dimwitted at all, he just didn't think that one through. He actually agrees with you and didn't realize it.At least he isn't a name caller and I am sure if he looks at what you are really saying he most certainly will realize that he actually agrees."

That part about being dimwitted -- that's me in spades. That's why I can never figure out whether I agree with somebody or not. It's all too complex for me.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 29, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

For Samson151 to indicate that blogosphere isn't anything more than that in this ever evolving technical world shows his lack of understanding and appreciation for how people and the world is everchanging as well as the way they communicate."

Y'know, if ts35 had just spelled 'hare-brained' correctly, I never would have made that remark about the barber shop, and he wouldn't have felt dissed, and come back with the mud thing, and the world would not have come to an end.

That's fate for ya.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 29, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

"was tyreke evans really that much better that jennins this year?" Posted by: lilhollywood10"

I don't think so. Jennings came out of the blocks fast and then tailed off quite a bit. Evans started more slowly but was the clear favorite well before midseason. Then Milwaukee picked up John Salmons and started winning again, and now they're on the verge of an upset. Jennings is back in the news big-time while Evans is on the shelf til next season.

Who's the better player long-term? I can't tell. Evans needs to improve his outside shooting and Jennings would benefit greatly from a late growth spurt. Which do you think is more likely?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 29, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

If you'd taken a poll a week ago, I would have said Ernie won't survive the new ownership, except possibly as a transition figure. But that was a full seven days back, and when I checked out the hockey blog today, I discovered Ted Leonsis was no longer a genius. Now he's apparently a moron who's ruined hockey in Washington forever, so I have no idea what he's going to do.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 29, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 29, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I stop by and what do I see? A bunch of BS.

I never said Cleveland, Boston or Orlando WOULD struggle. I said it's possible. And if you wanna be real...has Shaq had an impact really? No. Do they Celtics look old and ready to break down? Yes. Don't say I said stuff I never say. I don't make predictions. I presented possible scenarios. Please know what the hell you're talking about.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 29, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

" Please know what the hell you're talking about.Posted by: SDMDTSU"

But... but... I thought that wasn't a requirement for sports bloggin...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 30, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

But... but... I thought that wasn't a requirement for sports bloggin...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 30, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Actually you're right...what the hell was I thinking?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

strong game from caron for the most part, good to see. BTH will be looking for another team I suspect though...perhaps Portland comes a callin

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I really feel bad for Mark Cuban. He probably dosen't have a clue now.

Nellie took him to the doorstep.

Johnson took him to the doorstep.

Carlyle supposedly now had the team to actually win it.

And yet the champion bread of San Antonio rose up and swept them out in the first round.

It must be hard to be good in the NBA.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 30, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Mavs have lost 3 of the past 4 years in the 1st round including going out to the 8th seed....and considering every person in their arena is a cowboys fan, GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

and carlysle could lose his job over sitting Beabois in favor of JET for no apparent reason

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

I wouldn't feel sorry for Mark Cuban. The man has proven he is willing to do whatever it takes to try and win a championship.

The man is a winner and unlike some owners in the NBA who are happy just to make a profit Cuban won't be happy and will make some changes (maybe not the right ones) to try and get there next year.

Hopefully Ted is more like Mark then Abe.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 30, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Yep, BF78, agreed, thats why I kinda pull for Mark.

Wish they would have won it with Nellie though. Kinda think maybe Nellie was closer than Avery and Carlysle for some reason.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 30, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 8:55 AM

Portland still has high hopes for the Oden/Pryzbilla duo, so I'm not sure they have the dough for another big.

On the hand, I think he's a good fit for Oklahoma. Brendan gives them an interior defensive presence that Nenad cannot. Of course if Brendan signs with them, it's over for Dedrick Etan Thomas.

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 9:46 AM

Agreed.

And once he put the little guy back in it was too late. I don't understand why so many coaches underestimate that the money quarter starts with 12 minutes left in the game and not 8, 6, & 4.

When it is time to get your team in control to win your best performing players for the game must be on the floor.

It is a luxury to sit hot players and last night San Antonio did not have any luxuries at all.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 30, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse
Beaubois was a early ROY fave for me early in the season. He can flat out play. i think he torched the wiz in one of those early season matchups. He got the hook in favor of Terry getting more mins and i didn't hear much about him the rest of the year. Rick carlisle, unable to get another championship ready team over the hump.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

But... but... I thought that wasn't a requirement for sports bloggin...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 30, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Actually you're right...what the hell was I thinking?

Posted by: SDMDTSU

Please. This is DC. Knowing what you're talking about isn't a requirement for Franchise Management, let alone sports bloggery.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

That's fate for ya.

Posted by: Samson151

Lol, no worries Samson, I didn't feel dissed, just poking back in kind.

Sadly, as I was typing 'hair-brained' the first time, my first thought was that it was 'hare-brained', but then I thought..."Wait, isn't that the name of a Bugs Bunny cartoon? Were they using Hare-Brained as a pun, and it's actually supposed to be hair-brained???"

Genius at werk.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 10:33 AM

Funny! LMAO!

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 30, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 29, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Actually, SDMDTSU, you argued with me several times about your misguided predictions. On several occasions, you stated that the team was slated for 50-wins and at the very worst, a second round exit. You said that it would be the treshold for you to admit you were wrong!

Posted by: Utilityman1 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 10:33 AM

Haywood was non-existent last night, could not even tell he was on the floor. Over the last 10mins of the game, he was the least effective person on court. Yes, ya can say I'm just hating....but he is what he is and that's not very good.

There is always a market for guys like him, but it will be interesting to see what kind of $$$ he's offered...

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10

When I heard we were going to trade CB, et al to Dallas, I was hoping somehow Beaubois would get snuck into the deal....and knowing full well there was no chance.

Yes Beaubois did torch the Wiz early in the year. Foye knows how to spell Beaubois primarily because he saw the back of his jersey for most of that game.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Ted is more like Mark then Abe.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 30, 2010 9:53 AM

Uh, Cuban has consistently put together jump shooting teams that play no defense...exactly what you constantly trash EG and Abe(RIP) about. Now those teams have gotten embarrassed in the 1st round of the playoffs time and time again. Considering you are the "only a Championship is success" guy- you can hardly call Cuban a winner.

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 8:55 AM

Posted by: Firuz1

Plus, they have already extended Camby, so I doubt they go after BTH, but who knows.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 11:17 AM

You're not hating. Just stating your opinion. Ironically, I think the trade to to Dallas has hurt his value. I think most people thought (pre-trade) some team might cough up about $8-9 Mil/yr for him this offseason. After going to Dallas, becoming the starter, having a couple games with some gaudy numbers, getting benched and ultimately having less impact than expected, I'm thinking he gets paid $5-6 Mil/yr. The Krstic/Haywood combo would work for OK, imo.

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

divi3

This is why the guy is a winner...

and winners usually do what ever it takes to win.

I believe Abe wanted to put an exciting team on the court to put fans in the seats and wasn't willing to go the extra mile to win a championship.

There's a big difference between trying to win a championship and coming up short versus just trying to make a profit each year.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 30, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

it's funny you can tell GMs and talking heads watched very few wizards games (who can blame them). jamison, butler, and haywood are exactly the players many people here have been saying they are...but league observers apparently didnt know it. BTH is clearly a backup-at-best player, but was thought league wide to be some kind of defensive monster just stuck on a bad team. Caron was still riding his all-star season, but we all knew better.

Serves to remind that there are 30teams and often fans know their players better than people on tv or even some GMs

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"The guy is willing to go over the salary cap to try and win which is more then most owners are willing to do."

For the 1,000th time b78- Abe's wizards had a higher payroll than Cuban's Mavs for several years now.

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Ted is more like Mark then Abe.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 30, 2010 9:53 AM

Posted by: divi3

I tend to agree divi. Cuban gets a A+ for effort, but a C- for results. They have been a very good team for a while, but they keep trying to find that missing piece, and they keep looking in the wrong place. They need to start ditching some of the less useful vets and get younger. Even though they are on some level still effective players, guys like JET, Marion, Dampier (and maybe CB and BTH) aren't helping them get over the top in the West.

I don't think Ted will be like Cuban or Abe. He's not going to spend and spend and spend like Cuban does, and I think he'll be less sentimental and more shrewd than Abe. My hope is that he will be patient, build the talent base through the draft, and spend dollars on free agents when it makes sense to, not for a quick fix. Of course, he may spend more of this summer trying to tweak the Caps than overhauling the Wiz.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 11:43 AM

Any worry of having too much on his plate in that regard?

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Utilityman...I challenge you or anyone to find where I said this team would win 50 games. I definitely said they were an around .500 team 40-45 wins tops...and could make the second round. Google it.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

pardon my interuption if I m a little off topic. A chinese diplomat in Houston was recently roughed up a bit ( no disrespect intended). It reminded me what I thought when WP polled the blog on the available free agents. So....I am asking why not Yoa? Why not now? Would do more for Chinese relations than Billary ever hoped to accomplish. I think he could be had at a great price if he is remotely close to healthy and keep bringing JM off the bench for energy minutes for the rest of this contract. mr livingston "I presume" would be an awesome add to. IMO

Posted by: Rvf0509 | April 30, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 11:43 AM

Any worry of having too much on his plate in that regard?

Posted by: divi3

Not so much too much on his plate. Obviously McPhee and EG (or whoever) will do most of the heavy lifting, but throw in working out the sale, and the early exit, he may focus more attention on Caps. If he decides to fire Boudreau and also EG or Flip over the summer, and / or if they get into the NBA Free Agent Sweepstakes, it could get a little overwhelming. But considering he made himself into a very rich man, pretty sure he can handle the load.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 29, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Utilityman1 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

thx for the assist Utilityman1. It's hard to believe that this guy actuallty said that he wasn't highly critical of the offseason moves BOS,ORL and CLE made in the offseason. All of these teams that are moving on in the playoffs while we sulk over our second straight 50 LOSS season. I think we argued for like the entire week after the draft about the merits of those teams moves and our move. and people ride NY about his consistency.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yao's career is dunzo....he's more of a Snyder signing now

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Do your research:

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if Haywood did not end up back here. It would certainly leave Blatche to just worry about the PF slot.

Still with him and Javale at the center and Javale still learning isn't a bad proposition.

LarryInClintonMD.

Now thats a prediction.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 30, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

nobody is going back through the annals of WI to find any of that stuff. We're all adults here and i don't think we need to do that type of thing, as long as people keep it 100.
While you may not have predicted 50 wins (how much better is it to predict 45, really?) i can vividly remember you talking about VC,Sheed, and Shaq all having MORE difficulty adjusting to their new teams than the wizards additions would.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Are you sure about that? It's a minor point, because they've been in the same neighborhood, but I thought the Mavs have been into the 80mils, while the Wiz topped out in the high 70s. Again, it's minor point. And it's tough to tell now with the moves both teams have made. (I was looking at the salaries on hoopshype.com)

Also, while I looked up salaries, just happened to notice that Dampier is making 10 mil this year and 13 mil next year. Yikes! I guess the only good thing is that it gives them a big expiring contract to deal next year.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

And yes Boston and KG looks old. LIKE I SAID

Shaq DIDN'T stay healthy and Cleveland is they same. LIKE I SAID

Orlando looks about the same.

So why argue about consistency like NY...when we can talk about you and Utilityman being as clueless as he is?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

At the start of this season, Wiz were just slightly higher on the salary scale...now the Mavs must be way higher since they took BTH and CB.

I saw Damp's salaries too and thought the exact same thing. Poor BTH cant catch a break 'cause there's no way cuban spends that kind of dough again for Dampier2.0

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

the VC move shows the Magic know what the hell they are doing. Hedo has been just terrible and nobody would have guessed that...other than the VanGrumpy apparently

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

All you gotta do is google it. It's not hard. Like it's not hard to find when you were hanging off Mike Miller's sack.

And I still think they would've finished around .500 had the team been kept together and Gil didn't get suspended for being completely stupid.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

They needed to be broken up though...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Clueless?? There weren't many on here that predicted a debacle because of EG vast incompetence so I wouldn't use the word clueless to describe myself. Just go back and read the blogs and you there are thousands of posts glorifying EG for running this franchise into the ground and the reasoning behing their arguments centers around the fact that EG took this team to the playoffs (where they miserably performed) a few years in a row. Obviously, making the playoffs and getting ousted early in historically weak easter conferences is cause for jubilation around here. And I am sorry to say that you were one of the many on here that supported that notion (in addition to Kal, Melodious, RPhilli.....).

Posted by: Utilityman1 | April 30, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Miami didn't think Boston and KG looked old.

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Miami didn't think Boston and KG looked old.

Because Miami has 1 player. Let's see what happens with Cleveland.

KG has looked horrible at times this season...it's almost sad.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Dampier's contract isn't guaranteed. He had to average something like 30mpg.

Posted by: djnnnou | April 30, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

sad? I thoroughly enjoy watching that pseudo toughguy get used and abused to the point 80% of his game is now talking and cheap shots. JJ Hickson better watch out, there are some elbows and shoves in the back waiting for him.

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Its only sad because I used to be a KG fan...now...it's just ugh...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Because Miami has 1 player. Let's see what happens with Cleveland.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:34 P

Gee, let's see what happens when they play the very best team in the league.
There's a fearless forecast...

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Gee, let's see what happens when they play the very best team in the league.
There's a fearless forecast...

What the hell do you want me to say? Wait until they play Kansas? If they aren't old they should be fine.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I actually did go back and look at previous posts from months ago. I was a lil off on your level of criticism and for that i apologize. But i think you had a lot of judgement to pass on 4 teams, all of whom are still in the playoffs. By your own account you predicted the wiz would win 40-45 games, so own up for it. I'm owning up for saying you said some things you didn't (got you confused with another person who was speaking on the same topic. But here you go

You think Cleveland doesn't have to adjust to Shaq being on the team? The completely changes the dynamic of the team from give it to LeBron and watch and wait for a pass to something completely different.

Atlanta added Jamal Crawford...a serial loser and complete gunner. That may not go over to well either. Everybody has questions.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 28, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

but the wiz have more adjustments to make to get to the playoofs than teams that have been to the playoffs and improved. the wiz questions are bigger than cleve,atl,orl,bos questions.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

That's the thing. Nobody knows if they actually improved until the season starts. Whether it be age with Boston. Completely new look for Orlando and Cleveland or Atlanta just pretty much being the same and added another gunner.

Wizards included...nobody knows. I still feel good about the Wizards this year.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 28, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse
That's why when I said Boston may have a hard fall, I meant it. KG is what 32? But he's an old 32. That knee injury that was supposed to be a week or two ended his season. Boston's chances are GREATLY diminished with KG out or even in great decline. Even with Rasheed. Allen is getting up there and disappearing, and Pierce has already been in a wheelchair once...it's only so long until it's permanent. LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 30, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse
They haven't started the season yet.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 2, 2009 1:53 PM
do you really see championship written on this team?ORL,CLE,BOS,LAL,SA,DEN are all real championship contenders. if the wiz don't get it done this year, then what ?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 2, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The only team with championship written on them is the Lakers. Cleveland has NEVER won one, Orlando either, Denver? No. You don't know WHO is a contender because everyone of those teams is different from last season. You don't know who is going to get hurt or anything. So until the season starts I don't know what the Wizards are capable of. Neither do you.

all in all your comments weren't as critical as i remembered blame it on the Mary J, and the fact that these posts come from 10 mos ago or so.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Now thats a prediction.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 30, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I think he has a better chance to be back.Partland signed Mc, they do not need his servcie.OC need their money for KD, their center has a big contract, they do not have rooms.Mr. cuba is confused, has no money for BH,boston do not like his game,suspect either wiz or chicago to pair him with joe johanson.

Posted by: gtefferra | April 30, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@SDMDTSU

glad to have u back tho. been a while since we got into it.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

btw nada about 50 wins

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Let's see what happens with Cleveland.

KG has looked horrible at times this season...it's almost sad.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

KG will have AJ guarding him which should mean KG will get 30 and 10 a game?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 30, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@hollywood

no diggity...i just felt like skipping the soap opera portion of the season...lol

I predicted 40-45...i think that was accurate...until they turned the locker room into the wild wild west

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 12:48 PM

Only old teams lose? There's every chance that they could lose to Cleveland because Cleveland is the better team. But you don't offer that as a possibility, do you?

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Draft Express has their International Early-Entrants list up. If some of these guys stay in the draft then the Wizards have a shot at picking up someone really good at #30 and #34.

Kevin Seraphin

Posted by: djnnnou | April 30, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

i'll cancel my season tix all last straw like if they resign BTH

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Dampier's contract isn't guaranteed. He had to average something like 30mpg.

Posted by: djnnnou

Nice nugget, djnnnou.

Here's what I found on the terms....which he failed to rise to.

"Erick Dampier's 2010-2011 salary of $13,078,000 has no salary protection; which then increases to full if (1) player is selected to play in any three NBA All-Star Games out of the 2004-2005 through the 2009-2010 seasons or (2) player plays at least 2,100 minutes in the 70 regular season games in the 2009-2010 season in which player plays the most minutes (and if player plays in less than 70 regular season games in the 2009-2010 season, then player must play at least 2,100 minutes for the entire regular season)."

So they have a $13 million dollar non-guaranteed contract to play with. If I'm understanding the rules correctly, that should be a coveted trade chip (though I wonder if there's a provision that converts to guaranteed if he's traded).

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Michael Lee, we need a new update!

Scroll wheel getting worn out =)

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

yo lil...you watchin the fight tomorrow? 4-1 odds for Floyd, anybdy recommend a good online book where i can lay a hundy on shane?

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

KG will have AJ guarding him which should mean KG will get 30 and 10 a game?

Sure. BF. Whatever you say.
He's gone...let it go. It's okay to move on.
You're sounding like a bitter ex now.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

My criticism was that they were old.
You said they didn't look old against Miami.

I say Miami wasn't a very good team, see what happens when they play a good one (Cleveland)

What's hard to comprehend. Go sit down.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I'd be willing to bet on Shane....if they actually got to use the gladiator gear from the promo spot. Anything can happen, but I can't see Floyd losing this one.

Posted by: ts35 | April 30, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

quite possibly wishful thinking on my part, in standard floyd fashion he's waited for shane to hit 38yrs old to fight him and that alone could be the difference.

but i'll still lay $100 on shane...anybody rec an online site?

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What's hard to comprehend. Go sit down.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 1:16 PM

What's hard to comprehend is you implying that they'll look old against Cleveland and then saying if they aren't old they'll be fine. Say what you mean and back it up with facts.

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse
Tha junkies on 106.7 always talk to Brandon Lang (right or wrong spelling) out in vegas about their bets. I got a 2yr old with Hobbit feet so i don't play around with his NIKE money, but I'd prolly put down a Ball on Shane at 4-1 antything can happen. I'd kinda like to see Shane KO Money May, just because of the way he's been disrespecting the man, talking bout how much money he makes (SS in only Guaranteed 2.7M while Floyd gets 60M) and really taking it there with him. It's wild, it's like a guy talkin sh#T right in your face because he knows you can't beat him. I know you can't hurt me so i'll say whatever i want to you. Shane has a lot of REAL KOs under his belt. It's a shame Money is fighting a guy he knows he can beat vs stepping up to a real challenge like Pacquiao.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

i think Money is in for a big surprise...shane is the fastest fighter he's ever faced and has true KO ability. I dont know if you saw the 24/7 from back when Floyd and Oscar got it on, but shane was in Oscar's camp doing a 100% dead on Mayweather impression. Not acting a fool, I mean mimicking his boxing style as if he could fight that way if he were also obsessed with never getting hit.

Shane's a livedog if there ever was one!

That Nazim dude had some biting, choice words for Money and his camp in the last 24/7, good stuff.

Posted by: divi3 | April 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

OKay. Dig this...they ARE old. Rasheed is washed up. KG is one foot outside the nursing home. Ray Allen is parking and Paul Pierce has a wheelchair on standby already. Miami is a team they could beat without them being 100% of what they were.

That's not the case with Cleveland. Their 2nd round opponent. That's who they play. If they beat Cleveland then my criticism is null and void.

Comprende?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Comprende?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

but if BOS win's, they'll still be too old for ATL, or ORL. Your argument will hold up unless the Celts win it all.Great stance to take. They gotta win 4 series to refute this agist position.LLS

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If they beat Cleveland then my criticism is null and void.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

If they beat Cleveland then my criticism is null and void.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

couldn't the argument be made that they got lucky against CLE, but won't fare as well against the younger and more balanced ATL Hawks or ORL magic? I'm just prepping for your next flip flop

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 30, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

No because Cleveland is the best team in the league. It's not one game. It's a series.

Real simple for the simple minded: If they beat Cleveland then my criticism is null and void.

That's not a "flip-floppable" position.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU,

My point is your criticism may be null and void even if Cleveland wins because you're leaving out the very real possibility that Cleveland may beat them because they simply have more talent, age notwithstanding. Your "beat them or you're an old, washed-up bunch" premise is a rather feeble-minded, perilous one. Exercise your gray matter and THINK.

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Actually it's NOT true. Cleveland isn't more talented. Boston has 3 hall of fame talents and a championship winning all-star PF on the bench AND one of the best PGs in the league. And considering that Boston has looked old and washed up most of the season...your "they didn't look old and washed up against Miami" is dumb because they weren't any good anyway.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | April 30, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

The Celtics have ONE hands-down, sure-fire HOFer in KG. The rest of the guys are maybes.

On the other hand, Cleveland has TWO no-doubt-about-it HOFers, one of whom is the reigning MVP who powered his team to the best record in the league THIS SEASON. Not to mention a Sixth Man of the Year winner at PF. Cleveland has more talent and SHOULD win the series.

Posted by: Firuz1 | April 30, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I said HOF talents. Not locks. Garnett is in. Allen and Pierce are possibles. Rondo is a top 5 PG. Perkins, Wallace, Finley and Nate off the bench is more talent than LeBron, Shaq, and Jamison. Throw Mo in too. Who else? West? Parker? Varajeo? Big Z?

I don't think Cleveland is more talented. The just have the superior PLAYER.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | May 1, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse