Who would you like to see in a Wizards uniform?

Could you learn to love me, D.C.? (Photo by David Liam Kyle/NBAE via Getty Images)

Several teams, such as New York and New Jersey, have spent the past few seasons focused solely on the summer of 2010, when the greatest free agent class in recent memory hits the market, with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amaré Stoudemire and Joe Johnson among the slew of talents who could be available.

When the season began, the Wizards had no intention of entering the fray, with Caron Butler signed through 2011, Antawn Jamison signed through 2012 and Gilbert Arenas signed through 2014. But as I mentioned in my story today, the Wizards quickly became a player this summer when President Ernie Grunfeld decided to blow up the roster at the trade deadline.

It is unlikely that one of the top studs would come to Washington, but players want to get paid and the Wizards have the money to make some major moves. There is a strong possibility that they won't use the $18.7 million in salary cap space to acquire a big name free agent. Instead, they could focus on retaining some of their own free agents -- such as Josh Howard, Shaun Livingston and Mike Miller -- to short term deals that won't eat up all of the money. That may require them to have some good fortune in the NBA draft lottery, which hasn't happened very often with this franchise.

Of course, this could change if Ted Leonsis can complete his purchase of the franchise sometime in June and decides that he wants to go after a maximum-level free agent.

James has tormented the Wizards in the postseason for several years. Wade has taunted them in the regular season and wiped them out of the playoffs in 2005. Bosh could give the Wizards an intriguing, athletic front line with Andray Blatche. Stoudemire, a player the Wizards have discussed acquiring through trade, could provide a physical interior presence. And, Arenas has told people for years about how he would enjoy playing with Johnson.

Let's play fantasy basketball for a moment. If the team decided to pursue one of the top guys, which one would you like to see in a Wizards uniform?

By Michael Lee  |  April 14, 2010; 10:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: As Wizards' season winds down, opportunities open up
Next: Wizards in-game chat

Comments

Oh, please, guys . . . Joe Johnson as top vote-getter? How many basketballs do you think the team will need to play with?

Posted by: EestiLaps | April 14, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

i think rudy gay could step in and give us a real boost at the 2-3 position while Josh recovers (if we bring him back) Gil,JH,RG,AB,Cousins(?) or McGee wouldn't be a terrible lineup. Then again that's what we all thought about last years opening day lineup and look where we are. I'm much more concerned with the players we have coming into camp in great condition and ready to work hard. it's the guys we have NOW that have endured consecutive sub-30 win seasons. They're the core, the stain is on their reps. There are knuckleheads on every team but you get called a LOSER when you are playing for a all time loser. Anyone from the "old-guard" who is brought back will have to pick it up big time. I'm not really trippin off any New Addition that isn't involving Bobby Brown and Ralph Tresvant.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 14, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

C'mon guys. The question is "who would you love" to be in a Wizards uniform not "which player the Wizards have a realistic chance of signing."

LeBron James. LeBron James. LeBron James.

Posted by: tgravely1977 | April 14, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Unless it is Lebron or Wade, I don't like any of them at those potential contracts.

You would have two players at max/near max contracts not being worth max money. Johnson or Gay with Gilbert locking up salary cap dollars - I'll pass.

Sit out a year and look to the slim chance of Anthony or Durant in future.

Posted by: Buffalobull | April 14, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

DAVID LEE!!!

Posted by: threeleggedninja | April 14, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EestiLaps | April 14, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

FOUR. One for ARENAS, one for JOHNSON, one for BLATCHE and one for the other two.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 14, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

RANDY FOYE^
SHAUN LIVINGSTON^
RAFER ALSTON*

*FA
^SIGN

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 14, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"New ADDITION" lilhollywood? LOL!

I also would like to see Rudy Gay with the Wiz. He may be the only one I think they should target. He's only been in the league what 3 years? He has a nice game and I think all good teams need finishers. I also think he can be effective and not hog the ball.

I see a lot of people want Amare. I am afraid of the Wiz giving someone who has been in the league over 5 years and had major knee operation a big contract. I mean we already have one!

Posted by: millineumman | April 14, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"No one" wasnt an option!!!

Posted by: snickerbar | April 14, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Why would you leave David Lee off that list?

Posted by: bobilly2 | April 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards top picks should be Chris Dosch or David Lee.

Posted by: bobilly2 | April 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

not a bad list glaw pretty realistic. Anyone else hear this Mike Lee radio interview yersterday saying that the wiz are only interested in the #1 pick and will trade if they don't get it? My homeboy told me he heard it yesterday. he said that the Wiz are only interested in drafting John Wall with the no.1. If they don't get the no.1 overall expect a trade.

I dunno if all this is true, b/c i didn't hear the interview, but i can only hope that this isn't. While i can understand trading down for a later first and a player, i really don't know if swapping the pick for a vet straight up is what we should do. With this draft being deeper than drafts in years past i think the wiz should use all their picks to bring in new young players.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Rudy Gay + Yao Ming

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

That had better not be true. I will go after Grunfeld myself.

Posted by: millineumman | April 14, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Rudy Gay would be a good realistic choice. He is a highlight reel and a local product. I think he also possesses a good character as evidenced by his winning the NBA Community Assist Award for the month of March. Stoudmire would be an okay 2nd choice since he is a great inside presence, but he really hasn't won much with pretty decent players surrounding him already. So the question is, is he worth the money he will ask for? Johnson, No! he is boring and would probably hog the ball, he is probably the most overated so called underated player around. Bosh, No way, too injury prone and blah. Wade, No! he has his ring already, it's payday time for him now. James, if he wants to play here, no question, take him right away, end of story. No, as in NOwitski. Ming, at this point, what a joke. No; an injury just wating to happen. Boozer, 3rd choice possibly, I think either he or his father is actually from D.C. and they moved to Alaska. Also, I heard somewhere that the past football running back Emerson Boozer was like his uncle or something. Okay, enough of the digression, Boozer would provide power and an inside presence. Pierce, the 0% was very accurate. Someone else, who else? If the price is right, maybe.

Posted by: Theone9 | April 14, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"Instead, they could focus on retaining some of their own free agents -- such as Josh Howard, Shaun Livingston and Mike Miller -- to short term deals that won't eat up all of the money."

That would be classic EG of recent vintage, but that should be Plan C at best. Out of that group Livingston seems like a keeper, but I don't know how much I would invest in retaining Miller or Howard. Signing Miller or Howard means the Wiz think that a) they are close to competing for the playoffs and b) those two guys help them get there. I don't agree with either premise.

They could conceivably make the playoffs in the East next year with that crew, but I don't think it moves them any closer to what their goal should be, which is building a perennial winner and championship contender. Given that their top 5 guys for next year right now (AB, JM, Gil, NY and SL - if retained) are not big time defensive players, I think the guys they fill in around them need to be. Miller obviously is not. Howard is when he's healthy, but his injuries seem to be catching up to him. There are a number of FAs who will be out there who are young, athletic, have skills, are low rent enough for the Wiz to bring in without breaking the bank, but who also can help them next year and going forward.

Posted by: ts35 | April 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Number 1 option: LEBRON JAMES!!
that is it end of discussion.

Number 2 option: Amare Stoudemire
You can have a line-up for next year
Gil
Miller
Josh Howard
Blatche
Amare

Don't forget if we get the a top 2 pick (won't happen cuse of the le Bulet) Evan turner or John Wall is coming here to START!!!

Posted by: Bigmon411 | April 14, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

HOWARD is not gonna' be re-signed at least not until the rest of the league has passed on him. The WIZ would welcome him back at a small increase over the vet minimum on a make good contract. He's not gonna do that. Come on. He's toast in a WIZZIES uni.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I like Stoudemire and Rudy Gay, but I think Stoudemire is more of an offensive rebounder, whereas Boozer is more of a well rounded rebounder. We have offense in Arenas coming back, Nick Young, and Blatche (if he continues to develop). What we've been missing for the last 5 years is a consistant rebounder.

Posted by: poeticfire | April 14, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"REALISTICALLY" the wiz should go for Rudy Gay. He's younger and just more talented if not more than Joe Johnson. I think any combination of Boozer, Bosh or Stoudemire with Blatche may not work since they are all natural power forwards who require the ball. Also, the wiz MUST resign Livingston (within reason).

Posted by: Stevie-J | April 14, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

No one is my answer.We are rebuilding. we do not need this old players to empty the bank,they will not get motivated.
How expenssive Rudy is? I hered he is a local man, may be they try to get him even if his defense is a suspect.As a local pro. he might get focused.I also think David lee is a good addition.Please do not put Joe johnson's name,

Posted by: gtefferra | April 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Starting lineup to open next season:

Gil
NY
Gay
AB
JM

That would be a fun team to watch, and one with unlimited potential to grow. Would also be hyper-athletic and prone to blowing aging teams off the floor.

and interesting sidenote to signing Gay, we'd see right quick if AB is an unmitigated dope or not because if Gay is gettin PAID you know AB will have to bite his tongue

Posted by: divi3 | April 14, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I think it all depends on what number draft pick we get....

Let's say we get the #2 pick... we draft Evan Turner, immediately steps in and starts with Gil.

Then you dont have a need there anymore, so you dont go after a joe johnson. Rudy Gay would be a HUGE pickup and a realistic one, he is from the area, fits exactly what we need at the 3 and would not be a max contract guy.

I also like Okur as a FE pickup at center.

Gil/Turner/Gay/Blatche/Okur

Livingston/young/thortnon/singleton/mcgee

Posted by: jeffco01 | April 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't see us getting anyone on this list.
I'd like to see David Lee and sign Livingston and a draft pick that could start.
Offer Howard the minimum or let him walk. Same for Miller & Foye.
Blatche, McGee, Young & Livingston need to come back pumped and ready to compete.
A couple of pieces that are now missing and I'll be optimistic for the new season.

Posted by: VBFan | April 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Aside from Lebron with the other players it's all a question of how much money the team has to commit to the players.

Rudy Gay though would be a nice addition.

Posted by: JPRS | April 14, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

LOL at LeBron being 2nd and almost 3rd in this poll. I'm telling you, if anyone can make this happen, it's Ted.

Even if it sounds far-fetched, fine, I'll give you that. But I'll predict this much: you know how there's always a "mystery" team that emerges for certain FAs...the Wizards will be that team for LeBron. Mark it down.

Posted by: BMoreChil | April 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Id really like to see us wait for Durant and Melo in 2011. Durant will be a restricted FA and Melo has an ETO.

If we add a solid player or two in the draft and Blatche, McGee and Young continue to improve getting one of those guys to come home. to a young solid team could be attractive.

If not go after Rudy Gay and stick him at the 3 so next season your starting 5 looks like this...

1-Arenas
2-Young
3-Gay
4-Blatche
5-McGee

Posted by: DMoney28 | April 14, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of bringing Gay here. He's a very good iso player on the offensive end. He's no better than Butler defensively, and really doesn't get involved in team-offense.

Considering we have arenas, who makes things happen with the ball, and we have a scoring front-line, I still think Joe Johnson makes the most sense. He just compliments what we already have so well:

He can play the 2 or 3.
He can handle the ball or work off it.
He can drive and he can shoot outside well.
He can and does pass.
He's an excellent defender.

With the new two-guard offense that Saunders has been experimenting with, he would work great with Arenas.

Of course, the draft will affect this completely. If we land the first pick and take Wall, Johnson makes less sense, but still could work. Otherwise, getting a young big man like cousins or Favors, and adding Johnson, keeping Miller and Livingston would be great.

Posted by: segastyle | April 14, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

In my dream world the Wiz draft Evan Turner (in reality im expecting cole aldrich), then we sign Rudy Gay and Marcus Camby and have a rotation something like:

Arenas - Livingston - Boykins
Turner - Young
Gay - Thorton
Blatche - 2nd first round pick
Camby - McGee

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | April 14, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

E.) None of the above.

I want Durant in 2011.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | April 14, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

mice petey

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

nice petey

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 14, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the ping pong balls in the draft bounce our way... lets say we get the #2 pick... Evan Turner is the no brainer, a complete SG at 6'7" who can handle, shoot, get to the basket, defend, and very solid rebounder. He is a perfect compliment to gil.

Once we have Turner, the next need would be at SF, and Gay is the most realistic free agent for us. A local boy, young, freak athlete we need, great size, the prototypical nba 3. Then you have Blatche at 4 developing into an excellent starter.

Then resign livingston to be the first guard off the bench. Maybe look for a veteran rugged center such as Okur from the Jazz. Use the later 1st round pick on a defensive big man who can play the 4/5. Here would be your 2010-2011 team

Gil- Livingston
Turner- Young- Q. Ross
Gay- Thornton Draft Pick
Blatche- Draft pick
Okur?- McGee

Then pick up a couple vet min cheap free agents to fill out the roster, locker room guys.

Again it all depends on the Lottery and also depends on what Leonsis wants to do, maybe he just wants to stockpile picks.

But if you look at that roster, you have 3 starters at the age of 25 and under as well as young guys like Livingston, NY and McGee coming off the bench. So you are still developing a young team with a few veterans.

I believe that team could crack the top 4 in the East.

Posted by: jeffco01 | April 14, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

i would trade Al Thornton for half a tube of Ben-Gay

Posted by: divi3 | April 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Who would you like to see in a Wizards' uniform?"

Hmmm... who started in this year's All-Star game? Let's get them. Plus if John Wall slides into the early second round, grab that sucker.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind seeing Rudy Gay in Washington. Depending on who the Wizards get in the draft, he could fit perfectly into whatever position they don't get.

Who knows what the team will do with Josh Howard following his injury and the real uncertainty lies at the SG-SF position. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Miller re-signed, and Nick Young is too inconsistent to start.

The return of Arenas makes the draft difficult and anything other than depth signings in free agency difficult.

Posted by: mlb923 | April 14, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Just heard the Knicks are interested in Livingston. I am sure the Wiz will oblige. They seem to love to give away our best players and get a stick of gum and some tape in exchange. I for one am glad this season is over and my friend and I will not be reupping our season tickts. We will take a wait and see attitude and get them next year as a package for certain games. Two straight years of subpar teams was a complete waste of hard earned money. Not to take away from the players that are left on the team. They have fought hard and valiantly with what they have and for that I give them mad props. But, ole Ernie will not get over on us a third time with his lofty promises. So, come on Wiz, lets close out with a win. My boyfriend and his buddy will enjoy the game tonight. Especially if they win. Me, I am done for the season and will wait and see what moves are made next. However, me personally, I would love to see both Josh Howard and Livingson in a Wiz uni next year.

Posted by: ivyleague | April 14, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind seeing Rudy Gay in Washington. There is uncertainty at the SG-SF position with Josh Howard's future in question following his injury and Mike Miller's contract running out at season's end.

The draft could yield Evan Turner, or Wesley Johnson, if not a big man like DeMarcus Cousins.

Until we know who the Wizards are willing to hold onto (Shaun Livingston, James Singleton?) it is difficult to say who they'd be interested in signing from the talented free agent class, if they sign any names at all.

Posted by: mlb923 | April 14, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I DONT want to see Miller, Foye, Boykins, Oberto, or Ross in a wizards uni next season.

Posted by: divi3 | April 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Boykins, Oberto, or Ross won't be missed.
Gonna have to wait until the draft & free agency to see if we need any of the others.
C-mon Ted let's get it shaking.
New name & unis.

Posted by: VBFan | April 14, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me the real options are:

1. Lose a lot of games and get high picks that turn into Kevin Durant or Tyreke Evans.
2. Lose a lot of games and get high picks that turn into Hasheem Thabeet.
3. Lose a lot of games and get lower lottery picks that yield unspectacular players.
4. Lose a lot of games and get lower lottery picks that inexplicably turn into legit NBA stars.
5. Lose a lot of games but only get middling lottery picks that we trade away for moderately good veterans that other teams don't want.
6. Lose a lot of games but throw gobs of cash at big-name free agents whose careers are suddenly rejuvenated, making our GM look smart.
7. Lose a lot of games but throw gobs of cash at big-name free agents whose careers continue to sink into the muck, making our GM look stupid.
8. Any combination of the above.

Now, which do you prefer?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 14, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I voted for "someone else." I think the Wiz should sit this summer out, shed more salary, then go HARD after KEVIN DURANT in summer 2011. Bring Durant home!!

Posted by: MEssex | April 14, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The fact that LeBron is not first in this poll is suggestive of the NBA IQ of this blog. With maybe DWade in second.

This off season will be interesting. James isn't leaving Cleveland, DWade isn't leaving Miami...and a work stoppage is on the horizon.

The Knicks and Nets are going to have no choice but to overpay for a couple of non superstar free agents to appease the NY/NJ fan base.

Livingston may find himself in the best possible situation. There is not another PG of his quality on the market this off season. He and one of the second tier names above can be a consolation prize once James and Wade are off the market.

I'd prefer the Wizards wait on Melo frankly.

Posted by: bozomoeman | April 14, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

1. I'm not sure what sport you guys are following, but there is absolutely ZERO chance we can get Durant in a year. He is a restricted FA; the top restricted FA's never, ever, ever move. It would have been nice to have signed James, Wade, Bosh, Anthony, etc. when they were restricted FA's two years ago, but we couldn't and no one else could either. Restricted means their current team can match. No one will even try for Durant because OKC will match. Anthony in 2011 is a total possibility (good fit, B'more, all that) and an UNrestricted FA.

2. The only relevant part of that whole article is: "if Ted Leonsis can complete his purchase of the franchise sometime in June." Um... JUNE!!!??! That could be the key to everything right there. If we do get a top 2 pick, the Pollins will try to leverage that for more cash and slow down everything. Plus, our horses won't be aligned for free agency starting July 1, or necessarily for the draft in late June. Plus, Ernie's replacement won't have time to get ready. JUNE is horrible; and it's really weird that Mike Lee glosses over that, because that's the whole key. Get Ted in before the lottery so no Pollin member attempts any BS and then that also gives him a month to get HIS team ready for the draft and free agency. That's the hugest thing in all of this.

3. Robert Pollin can eat my -ss.

4. No more Miller, no Foye, no Cousins, no Gay. Let's actually try to win next season.

Posted by: Urnesto | April 14, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

why do so many posters see Leonsis as the 2nd coming of Christ? I'm preparing for more of the same, just with more expensive tickets.

By that I mean, the guys on the roster now plus the high draft pick and Gil...ARE the rebuild. I'd like to see Rudy Gay signed, but that can happen with or without Leonsis.

And who says Leonsis is going to fire EG anyway?

Posted by: divi3 | April 14, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"why do so many posters see Leonsis as the 2nd coming of Christ?"

Unrealistic expectations. Wishful thinking.

"I'm preparing for more of the same, just with more expensive tickets."

Your expectations seem more realistic, based on Leonsis's history with the Caps.

"And who says Leonsis is going to fire EG anyway?"

Certainly not I. Grunfeld has two years left on his contract and Leonsis has never replaced the guy in charge of the hockey team.

Posted by: nmik | April 14, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, Leonsis may not be the second coming, but it seems that he'll at least be average. If he's at least average, then that will be a 300% improvement over Pollin. Hence, lots of excitement for those of us who have only lived under the Pollin Regime (ie, every single Bullets fan).

But my point wasn't that he had some magic formula to make everything ok. Rather, he will be the one making the decisions indefinitely and thus they need to make sure he has enough time to get his team together before the start of an extremely important offseason.

Plus, read any interview with him and any interview with Robert Pollin and tell me who makes you feel more confident as a Wiz fan.

I was in Atlanta when they had the ownership-transfer process going for 4 straight years and it held back that franchise. Good or bad, Leonsis needs total power to make important decisions. I don't care how genius he is, I just want one person in charge who understands 21st century sports. This widow and trust fund kids ownership crew is torture. Even if Leonsis turns into Dan Snyder II, that would be much better than the current situation or the 40 years with Abe Pollin.

I've stood up for EG, but you have to admit there's a pretty decent chance he'll get fired. When he resigned GA and AJ that one summer, he said "judge me on this; this is my legacy." Ok, well... If he doesn't get canned, I think it'll be because it's too late in the year, or that Leonsis wants to wait a year rather than coming on like gangbusters. But when: (a) you're forced to give away your best players for 40cents on the dollar; (b) your franchise player with franchise money goes kinda crazy; and (c) your young guys all have major issues (and talent), then it's not looking great.

I think anyone who grew up in DC as a basketball fan is pretty excited for any owner other than Pollin.

Posted by: Urnesto | April 14, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't sign any of them. This team is going to take at least another year of rebuilding. Use the draft picks we have this year to get young best available players (no more than one project). Oh yeah and one more thing:

RESIGN SHAUN LIVINGSTON. PLEASE.

Posted by: manifested | April 14, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I think the big unknown right now is where the Wiz pick in the draft. If they are lucky enough to pick one or two, I would expect us to draft Wall or Turner - or dropping back a few spots and picking Cousins or Aldrich.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I think the Wiz should lay low. They don't really know right now what their team makeup is - with Arenas coming back - and where they have gaps.

Obviously, if James or Wade want to come here you make the deal, but I doubt that will happen...

Posted by: BT23 | April 14, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I just want to add my 2 cents. I've been pushing Rudy Gay's name on this board for the last two weeks. The Wiz would have to overpay for him, however, name someone in the NBA who is not overpaid. :-) Also, I also like the idea of trying to get Brandon Bass from Orlando. I think Orlando would give him up for next to nothing.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | April 14, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who does not say Lebron is kidding themselves. The rivalry is over, as much as we like to poke fun at James we all know we would become an instant contender if we had him. Thats like Philly saying they would not want Kobe Bryant because they dont like him.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 14, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I would draft Derrick Favors kid's got a great attitude and left school with the blessings of his coach Paul Hewitt,Favors has a tremendous upside and can "clean the glass" and has a serious inside game with a pro style jump shot he is the real deal.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 14, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

people aren't saying lebron because he's not coming..no chance. I don't think anyone would put the "rivalry" above getting out of sub-30 win territory. We should limit our posts to realistic options, otherwise people's answers would be last years lakers, or whoever wins it all this year or "The redeem team" from 08 yeah can i get that 15 man roster?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 14, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Why dont the wiz use their picks. Had they used them last year we would have Stephen Curry, Tyreke Evans James Harding or Brandon Jennings. Instead we have Foye and Miller, not bad guys but no more productive than the guys we passed on and they were both injured throughout the year.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sign Livingston to contract now, lock him up before end of season...and bring back Brenden Haywood. He is as good a defensive center as there is out there in Free Agency next year.

Posted by: oddjob1 | April 14, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Had they used them last year we would have Stephen Curry, Tyreke Evans James Harding or Brandon Jennings,

Only Curry & Jennings were available when Wizards picked.....which would have been an upgrade as we see it now

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | April 14, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The biggest off season move should be is move Gilbert Arnas to the 2 guard position and Shawn "Pay the man" Livingston starting at the point guard.

Posted by: dsquare | April 14, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I think that they should go after a management staff that knows what it is doing!

Posted by: tommycat | April 14, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Livingston is as good as gone, but i'll cross my fingers anyway

Posted by: divi3 | April 14, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386 | April 14, 2010 4:49 PM

Wrong....Evans and Hardin were both drafted BEFORE the Wizards turn would have come up. In fact, many stories say that it was the Kings' interest in Tyreke that led (in part) to the Wiz making the trade. EG said that he was very high on Evan, but know he was not going to be around when the Wiz picked.

And speaking of the draft, no one who rips Blatche on this blog should say that they want the team to draft Cousins. Not only is he an even bigger headcase, but NBAdraft.net even compares him to Blatche directly.

Posted by: SportzWiz | April 14, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Howard should be moved; he is damaged goods in more ways than one. They have younger, energetic guys but not a cohesive unit yet. They need a stabilizing force to combat the idiocy of both Zero and Blatche cause Flip certainly can't control them.

Unless they can work some Copperfield-like magic and pull in a Chris Paul/Deron Williams leader and jettison those 3 headcases (Zero, Howard, Blatche) and start with floor leadership, I don't know what will turn this mess around.

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 14, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Imagine Cousins rolling into town with Strickland at his side!

Posted by: divi3 | April 14, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 14, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

@divi3 hillar! comment of THE day

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 14, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

seriously though...watching cousins yell at his crooked coach with strickland standing there...way too much for Flip&EG to handle imo.

and all this what to do talk will seem moot if/when AB/JM are top10 in the league at their positions in 2yrs. Could it happen??? Would be foolish not to give it a chance to develop

Posted by: divi3 | April 14, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Being in the top 10 at your position in a league of 30 teams is not really an overwhelming accomplishment. And if they are destined to be great, bringing in other players should not restrict them.

Posted by: ts35 | April 14, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

People don't seem to be talking as much about Evan Turner as they do about John Wall. Turner reminds me of Brandon Roy nd would be the ideal compliment to Arenas in the backcourt. He can play the 2 or 3 (as well as backup at the 1), rebounds, plays D, and is a good passer. He's also got 3 years of college ball under his belt and has an NBA-ready game. I'm not as sold on Wall as I was on Derrick Rose two years ago and none of the other underclassman like Favors or Cousins like like they will be impact players in the short-term.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 14, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Out of the available free agents I'd be most interested in Lee and Gay in that order. I like the idea of going for those two because they are still young and improving, and arent' as high profile as some of the others.

As far as our own FAs I'd really like to keep Livingston, as well as Singleton.

Draft wise I'd love to get Favors, and I'd take a long look at Cousins. I'd also love to get Vasquez with one of the later picks.

McGee
Favors/Cousins
Lee
Blatche
Singleton
Thornton
Gay
Young
Ross
Vasquez
Arenas
Livingston

Or something like that...

Posted by: Darnell1 | April 14, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I also really like Turner... if we can get him that would be amazing!

Imagine drafting Turner and signing Lee and Gay ..

Lee, Blatche, Gay, Turner, Arenas would be a great starting 5!

Off the bench with McGee, Singleton, Thornton, Young/Vasquez and Livingston... not to bad!

Posted by: Darnell1 | April 14, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope we go after Gay and Boozer. I also still hope we buy out gilbert especially if we luck up in the lottery and get a good pick. I would also keep Howard and Miller.
1. Livingston- John Wall
2. Gay-Miller-Young
3. Howard- Thornton
4. Boozer-Blatche
5. McGee-Oberto
I'd like us to pick up Jordan Crawford as well he is going to be good in the NBA

I'd also hope we

Posted by: cgshelton | April 15, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

REVISED after last nights victory.

McGEE C
BLATCHE PF
THORNTON SF
YOUNG SG
ARENAS COMBO G

COUSINS - @ 4/5 PF/C or WES JOHNSON SF
BJELICA - SF/SG if COUSINS is picked.
JJORDAN - C no matter who in the lottery.

BRAD MILLER C* unless we go WES JOHNSON. Then DAVID LEE instead.
JOE SMITH PF*
JAMES SINGLETON PF^
TRAVIS OUTLAW SF* unless we pick WES JOHNSON SF.
RANDY FOYE COMBO G^
SHAUN LIVINGSTON PG^
RAFER ALSTON PG*

*FA
^SIGN

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 15, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Man, this is ridiculous. You put a bunch of options everyone, including you, say we can't get and then leave David Lee off the list? He is the obvious choice of many. Nowitzki and Pierce? You're wasting our time.

Posted by: photoassign | April 16, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

It's a crime not to have DAVID LEE or LOUS SCOLA in this list. Even if we don't get Lee, we can push rival NY Nicks into paying him big bucks, leaving less for them to challenge us for Scola or Stoudamire. Don't even think about not drafting 6'11" 270lb rebounding machine DeMarcus Cousins if he's available. That's a front line that can contend with LA and Cleveland: LEE/SCOLA/STOUDAMIRE, COUSINS, BLATCHE, MCGEE.

Posted by: liveride | April 16, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse