Wizards win lightens the mood

Morning brew

Still basking in the dim glow of breaking a 16-game losing streak, Wizards Coach Flip Saunders found some surprisingly positive things to say about his team's recent play.

When the Wizards play the Bulls tonight at Verizon Center, Comcast SportsNet will recognize Phil Chenier's 25 years as the network's color analyst for the team by hosting "Phil Chenier Night." Dan Steinberg wrote a nice piece about Chenier for today's newspaper. And this morning on the D.C. Sports Bog, Steinberg highlights some Buckhantz and Chenier hijinks.

Truth About It celebrates "The Wizards Departed in Portraits and Stories."

Finally, Gilbert Arenas paid $5,000 to the District's crime victim's fund as part of his court-ordered sentence, following his guilty plea to carrying four unloaded guns to Verizon Center in December in response to a confrontation with a teammate (second item).

Around the league ...

There were two games last night. Here are the Top 5 plays, courtesy of NBA.com.

By Alexa Steele  |  April 2, 2010; 9:58 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Darius Songaila on trades, bear hunting and Wizards
Next: Nick Young, difference maker?

Comments

I'll never forget a play when C. Webb. went up in the paint, got hacked and didn't get the call. Buckhantz proclaimed that Webber "got molested in there " There was a brief silence before Phil Chenier said " I don't know about that one"

Funny, but probably a bit much. Buck is off da hook.

Posted by: millineumman | April 2, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Last week buckhantz was advertising the filet of fish and said, "What if it were you on that wall Phil?"

Posted by: jefferu | April 2, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I've been reading the post on this blog,everyone weighing in on this team's draft needs i think McGee can hold down the middle and if he get's the right coaching he could surpass Haywood(although that ain't sayin much.)we need a pure shooter at the small forward spot(Evan Turner) provided we can get Blatche to play up to his potential and play power forward so here's next years lineup Mcgee,Turner,Blatche,Livingston, and Arenas. Looking for some input!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 2, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

You know, I wonder if Nick Young has ever studied film of the way Phil Chenier shot the ball.

For those that did not get to see Phil play, he had a dynamite jump shot. He had both a deadly net and bank shot. His form was fluid and one that any shooter can learn from.

Nick Young's misses sometimes comes from poor form. He has a shooters touch but he would be better he paid attention to his mechanics.

Of course a lot of these young players today think they are so unique and studying past players would be a waste of time.

The good ones don't think that though. There are countless stories of film study of past greats being a major regimen of the best players.

It is even a confirmed tool of Gilbert Arenas.

However, I haven't heard any reports of Nick Young being a film study guy.

If Young's technique was hald as good as Phil Chenier's was he would be a much better player.

LarryInClintonMD.

Of course that would mean Nick might have to do a little studying.

Any scoops on Nick's appreciation for film study?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

LarrylnClintonMd; Forget it bro young players could care less, the mid range jump shot is a lost art in college and pro basketball it requires fundamentals and in todays AAU/and1 world of stupidity studying guy's like Cheneir, Jerry West,"Sweet"Lou Hudson, Walt Frazier, Dick Barnett, Archie Clark,Earl Monroe, Bob McAdoo,Dave Bing(guy's that could actually hit an open jump shot!)it would be too much like right for Nick Young to study film(geez you think he might learn something and get better "nah i'm already good" yeah right!) Young like a lot of players in today's NBA is too busy spending his money and time on bulls__t and chasing pu_ _y and while i was away from the blog where is Dominic McGuire?

Posted by: dargregmag | April 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

And now that I think of it, Flip Saunders would have been genius like if instead of coming in and asking Nick Young to pattern his play after Richard Hamilton to have insisted that Nick Young do a film study of Phil Chenier.

And to have him go through the summer and incorporate the mechanics of shot making via breaking down the play of Chenier.

In fact that still might not be a bad idea. You know Mike, you might slip than in on Nick. It might save his career.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 2, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

dargregmag;
The first thing we need to do is get a break from this jinky azz luck of ours. I am hoping for a top three pick but if we get like say 5 - 8, I will be like "What else is new"

If we hit the jack pot, I believe a few on here said that Evan Turner might be the better option for us as opposed to Wall. I am in agreement with that. First of all, if we are keeping Gil. Many think Gil should move to SG but I am not sure about that. I think his forte is breaking you down off the dribble , and I think he has gotten a little better at making plays when the shot is not there. I would like him to move to SG at times with the company of pretty good distributing PG with size that can play D because Gil can't/won't. Maybe that's Livingston or maybe Livingston can come in and give minutes when needed. I don't know. I like him but I guess it depends on what kind of shape he can get his body in to.

Posted by: millineumman | April 2, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

speaking of dearly departed Debrick....

11-44 and 3-22/3pt since joining the Mavs

That's 25% and 13%/3pt for any math challenged out there

Posted by: divi3 | April 2, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I think livingston is very smart, good shooter, good passer but i agree with the above post that if theres not an open man to pass to you need a point guard that can quickly dribble penetrate to break down defenses. Gilbert can do that. Livingston would be a great PG off the bench

Posted by: jefferu | April 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Livingstons PG play.
He plays smart and will only get better. The more he plays and plays with the same lineup he could be the x factor for the Wizzies future. So far no sign of the knee affecting his game. An off season of strengthening could make him a VG PG.

After the NO win The Wizzies could be in jeopardy of winning 3 or 4 more games.

Posted by: VBFan | April 2, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I have to disagree with y'all. They should not base their draft on who fits best with Gil. If they end up with the first pick (ok, we know they won't, but for argument's sake), they should take whoever they think is going to be the better player. If they like Turner more than Wall, fine, take Turner. But absolutely do not take him because they don't think Wall will mesh with Gil.

Through injury and knuckleheadedness, Gil has missed the better part of 3 seasons now. Even though theoretically he will be back next year, it makes no sense to plan the future of your team around him.

Posted by: ts35 | April 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Definitely true, ts35. When it comes to the draft (at least in the lottery), it should be best-player-available all the way. Drafting for need/position is what leads to taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. If Wall and Arenas don't fit together, then you get rid of one of them for some other assets.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 2, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

or Oden over Durant

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 2, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Nobody's reaching for a big in this draft. I think team needs can play a part in the decision between Wall and Turner. I read some expert saying that if the Jazz get the #1 they should take Wall. That just seems ludicrous to me.

Posted by: djnnnou | April 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

At least with Oden and Durant there was a legit discussion of who would be the better pro player. It was Oden's injury questions vs Durant's lack of strength and pro position questions.

Of course, questions of what position Durant should play are now answered with "Any position he wants."

Posted by: ts35 | April 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou

Yeah, I mean, because they're both big guards, you could play Wall and Deron together, but Turner seems like a better fit for the team and the coach.

I'm not saying need and fit should never play a factor, I'm just saying that they shouldn't play a part in the Wiz's decision making, especially as it concerns trying to 'fit' with Gil.

Posted by: ts35 | April 2, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

"I read some expert saying that if the Jazz get the #1 they should take Wall. That just seems ludicrous to me."

Why? If he's the most highly coveted player, then he's the most valuable asset to be had. It's true they don't have a glaring need for a starting PG with Williams onboard, but they also don't have any entrenched incumbent at the backup PG slot. And with Williams' size and strength he can defend SGs, so there's no reason he and Wall couldn't share some time on the floor. Maybe Wall turns out to be better than Williams, allowing them to trade Williams for some other assets. Or they can draft Wall and then trade him to a team below them for multiple players/multiple picks/a combo of the two.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 2, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah guys, I feel you r.e. best avail. over position, but with if you rate both players very close? I love Walls game but I think Turner's pretty damn good himself.

Posted by: millineumman | April 2, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

You could definitely try to parlay Wall into other pieces, but Turner to me seems like such a natural fit for that team. Tough, smart, and talented. And fits a need. They could take Wall and do a lot of wheeling and dealing and not end up any better off than if they had just taken Turner.

Wall and Williams likely could play together and Wall provides that over the top athleticism that the Jazz have lacked. They would certainly be a headache to matchup with defensively. Turner seems like a better fit at first blush, but the more I think about it, Even the Jazz should probably take Wall if they get the #1.

Posted by: ts35 | April 2, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"They could take Wall and do a lot of wheeling and dealing and not end up any better off than if they had just taken Turner."

Or they could take Turner only to have Turner not be as good as advertised and have Wall be as good or better. Or Turner could get hurt. And so on. It's not an exact science. There's a high risk factor to every possible choice. Not saying they should take Wall, just saying that there are a number of scenarios where doing so makes sense for Utah.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 2, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@dargregmag
Dominic is at Sacrabment, was filling a bench role much as he had been here. Started a couple of games (someone else got hurt I forget who), and just when it was beginning to look up, hurt his foot. He's out for the rest of the season.

Posted by: rickgonz | April 2, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say Sacramento

Posted by: rickgonz | April 2, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I can't see anybody being significantly better than Williams, and Turner is being compared favorably to Roy. Utah has needed a quality SG for pretty much ever. How does a cap conscious team pass up on the guy that's the perfect fit? Playing Wall and Williams together wouldn't maximize their skill sets. Neither of those guys is going to be a better 2 than Turner(if he is the real deal). David Kahn was mocked for considering 2 PG together with Rubio and Flynn, so I'm not the only person that thinks it's a bad idea. Sure they could trade Wall, but I'm a bird in the hand kind of guy.

Posted by: djnnnou | April 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Rickgonz, been on the road doing my study on US prisons so it was hard to keep up with my boyz, anyway draft wise Wall worries me(possible diva attitude) last thing we need is two goofball's in the backcourt GA/JW i still like ET if he's available i also read a post where some one compared Cousins(Kentucky) to Mel Turpin("Dinner bell Mel")i'm not so sure on that one.We got two 1's in this draft got to get those two right and what's the feel on maybe getting Avery Johnson as the H/C next season.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 2, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Draft strategy is very simple: draft the best player available, unless they are really close. If they are really close, draft for position.

The really hard part is player evaluation, and the unknowable part is luck. Portland taking Oden was understandable, he was considered a potential Hall of Fame center when he came out. It's the same story as a lot of big men though, his knees just weren't up to it.

Posted by: jimwest20 | April 2, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse