Greivis Vasquez headlines Monday workouts

After spending this week in Minnesota watching some of the late first-round and second-round draft prospects, the Wizards will have another round of workouts on Monday featuring former Maryland point guard Greivis Vasquez.

I'm ready. (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)

I had a chance to catch up with Vasquez in Chicago at the NBA combine last week, before he returned to College Park to get his degree in American Studies. Vasquez remains extremely confident but he also has an understanding that his path through the NBA will be a difficult one from the outset. That won't keep him from being a fiery competitor.

"My role is to make guys better around me, it's not to score, but I can also play multiple positions. I'm a 6-6 point guard, and I feel I'm getting quicker and stronger," Vasquez said, adding that staying in college through his senior year will help in the long run. "I got more mature. My decision-making was a lot better. I was best ACC player. It definitely helped me. I feel more confident with my game."

He also said his experience with the Venezuelan national team should help him overcome the "awe factor" at the next level. Kobe Bryant guarded Vasquez when he was a rising sophomore in the FIBA Americas Tournament. "Playing with my international team really helped me because I've already gone against everybody, pretty much everybody, in the NBA," he said. "I'm not afraid of nobody. It's going to help me."

In addition to the top pick, the Wizards also need to find players at No. 30 and No. 34. Other players invited for the Memorial Day workout include Gonzaga guard Matt Bouldin, UTEP forward Derrick Caracter, New Mexico guard Darington Hobson, Michigan State forward Raymar Morgan, and Mississippi State center Jarvis Varnado.

Vasquez is clearly the big name, given his local ties, but a player to keep an eye on is Varnado, the NCAA record holder for all-time blocked shots with 564. He also owns the single season record with 170 - a record previously held by Shaquille O'Neal. Though just 6-feet-9, Varnado has a 7-3½ wingspan and incredible athleticsm. He explained to me how he was so dedicated to the defensive end of the floor.

"Growing up I was always tall," Varnado said. "My middle school coach told me I needed to be a defender and that's what I focused on in my career, and in college basketball I became one of the best shot blockers in the history of the game. I try to pride myself on playing defense."

When is the last time you heard a member of the Wizards say that?

Gimme that! (Photo by Kim Klement/US Presswire)

Varnado is very limited offensively, but he has been working on expanding his game in Los Angeles with famed trainer Joe Abunassar, who is also working with expected No. 1 overall pick John Wall. Varnado has some history with Wall, since his Mississippi State lost two overtime games to Kentucky, including an 81-75 loss in the SEC championship game, when Wall scored seven points in overtime.
"That guy is great," Varnado said of Wall. "He know how to run his team, he's quick off the dribble, he get down that floor real good. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the No. 1 pick. That championship game really hurt, because we had them right there, [DeMarcus] Cousins made the shot and sent it in overtime. But it was a lot of fun playing against those guys."

Varnado said he isn't concerned where he goes in the draft. "I don't get too caught up in all that. I just try to go to the gym, work hard and get better each day," he said. "I know I'm not getting drafted for my offense, it's defense. [NBA executives] know what I can do on the defensive end. I just [need to] go in and be confident about my offense the way I am with my defense."

Arguably the most intriguing player in the bunch is Caracter, a highly-touted prep prospect who has had a bumpy road through college. You can read about him in this great piece by the New York Times' Pete Thamel.

But here is more from Vasquez:

By Michael Lee  |  May 28, 2010; 2:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lakers get lucky, Celtics get worried
Next: Greivis Vasquez works out for Washington Wizards

Comments

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 28, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Before all of the Vasquez haterz post, I'll ask you this one:

Coming out of college who would you pick first? Vasquez or Steve Blake?

Blake has had a nice NBA career and I think Vasquez has the tools to survive in the NBA.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

My only problem with Gallon is that in the reports I have read, they say he prefers to play outside on offense. Dude, seriously? At 3 bills you wanna be a jump shooter? Hopefully that's a bit overstated or he's willing to adjust in the pros.

Posted by: ts35

Yeah, that's about what I thought of what I had seen from that little I did see of his game. The guy metioned in this post "Vernado" is one I think the Wiz should heavily consider. He's a tenacious defender and rebounder. Also just like you mentioned, bring a FA big man so that all the bigs won't be "inexperienced"

Posted by: millineumman | May 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35

Posted by: millineumman | May 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"I guess if they draft Varnado, he can be called Secret Weapon 2, the 2nd coming of Charles Jones."

Or just "The Sequel." ;)

CJ was a great defender, he just wasn't very gifted on the offensive side of the ball. Met him after a Bullets game at 7-Eleven getting a hot-dog one night. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 28, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people are trying to stay or get interested in the Wiz. It is not all that easy, with the multiyear commitment to Gil and what that does to future team-building flexibility. Getting Vasquez would help keep interest at a higher level than it would otherwise be. It sure would work for me. And Vasquez seems to be as good a choice as any with one of the last two picks. He would be an interesting backup to John Wall. Vasquez is 6-6 and is all heart. Go get him!

Posted by: EdDC | May 28, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC | May 28, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

First off, you have absolutely no idea how the multi-year commitment to Gilbert does to the future of the team. No one does. Gilbert was playing at an All Star level at the time of the gun incident, averaging 25 pts per game and 7+ assists during the month of December. No one in the NBA put up those numbers this year.

Yes, we are paying him 20 million per year for the next 4 years, but he may well turn out to be worth it...especially now with the massive chip on his shoulder.

The bottom line is, Wiz "fans" need to stop hating Gilbert Arenas. He is a member of this team and it's time for you to accept it and deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 28, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

If Gilbert is a member of the Washington Wizards, a supposedly professional basketball team, maybe he needs to deal with it and learn to play defense!

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | May 28, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 28, 2010 3:56 PM

CJ Lives on.... their could never be another Secret Weapon. All-Time Bullets Great.

Posted by: OG_Barno | May 28, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Check CJ's stat line on this one..........

Posted by: OG_Barno | May 28, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Varnado only weighs about 210 lbs. That's extremely wispy for a guy who projects as backup center and is actually a little light in the pants for a wing player. If you think JaVale gets pushed around in the paint, you ain't seen nothing yet. We need a center with some weight on him.

Posted by: bobabuie | May 28, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Check CJ's stat line on this one..........

Posted by: OG_Barno | May 28, 2010 4:58 PM

that's a classic!

Posted by: divi3 | May 28, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobabuie | May 28, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse
________________________________

Dennis Rodman was 6'8 230 lbs as a rook... just needs to add a lil weight.

I like his bio, averaged double-double last year (13 ppg/10 rpg). He seems to be working hard at adding weight & his offensive game:

Posted by: tony325 | May 28, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Ideal Wizards' draft: Wall, Lawal, and Pondexter.

Even if NBA front offices stop drooling over some of the teenagers that only have potential and no credentials, and both Lawal and Pondexter move up the draft, I still think the Wizards can get AT LEAST one of them w/their second first rounder. Whether that's #30 or Ted buys a mid/late-first rounder.

Posted by: SportzWiz | May 28, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I like...

a big body 6-9 280 who can come in a spot AB and JM?

A shooting guard who can make the 3, will hustle, and is a very smart player (by the way I hate Duke) but if he can do for the Wizards what JJ is doing for Orl that's good for me.

I love Greivis but I think it's always hard for a player to get drafted by his home team.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 28, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Can you ask Ted if he is gong to hire a big man who can come in and work out with JM and AB?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 28, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to be paying especially close attention to who the Wiz workout this year. The reason is that they don't need to worry about the player they want being off the board when they use their first pick and there are so many rumors about Ted wanting to add picks which would fill the gap between picks 1 and 30.

I think with such a deep draft it makes it more important for a team to narrow down the list of player who may be available before they make the workout invites. So for they seem to be focusing on the second round/undrafted players. If they invite players expected to go toward the end of the top ten, they are probably trying to get the Hornets' #11 and if they seem to be inviting a lot of guys who should be drafted right before #30, that might mean that they are thinking buy a pick in the twenties or stay put.

Posted by: SportzWiz | May 28, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

I don't hate Gil. He seems like a good guy, despite the guns and stupid poop-in-the-shoe pranks.

My objections are (1) Gil takes up too much salary cap room for his ability. He is making franchise player money, but is not a truly superb franchise player. (2) He is not a true team leader, the best I can tell. He does not set a good example to his teammates (and I am not referring to guns here). He was not well-liked by some of his teammates. (3) He prefers not to play defense, even though coaches practically beg him to do so, (4) Gil seems injury-prone. He was hurt the year before he signed his big contract, and has been hurt much of the time since he signed. He misses too many games, either through injury or suspension; and (5) his shooting percentage is not that great. I worry that as he ages (and his knees must be 40 years old already), he will have more and more trouble getting off his best shot. So he settles for lesser and lesser shots as the years go by, lowering his shooting percentage.

None of this has anything to do with hate.

Posted by: EdDC | May 28, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

"Coming out of college who would you pick first? Vasquez or Steve Blake?"

"I love Blake but if I had the choice of players coming out I would take Vasquez 9 out of 10 times."

Posted by: rmcazz | May 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'd pick Blake. I like Vasquez, but his NBA career won't last as long as Steve Blake's.

Posted by: anw821 | May 28, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

================================

Posted by: JohnWWW | May 28, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Varnado does sound intriguing. I would love to see them take Vasquez with one of the picks. He is versatile, plays team ball, plays hard, and he's a winner. Having played 4 yrs + international experience he'll be ready to contribute faster than alot of other guys in the 2nd round. Then using the other pick on more of an unknown with potential and upside like a Varnado would make more sense.

Lawal, Zoubek, D.Jones, Booker are others I like there also.

Posted by: Darnell1 | May 28, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Checkout the last 3 decades of ACC player of the year...that's great company to be keeping, he's being undervalued imo

Posted by: divi3 | May 28, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

divi3.
Agreed, though his destination will obviously influence his opportunities, I believe Vasquez has the tools and size to be a quality backup, with potential to be a starter after gaining some experience.

What he has cannot be taught, fearless abandon and a burning desire to win. Put this kid's heart in Nick Young's body and he is Kevin Durant.

I still see more Manu than Blake in his playing style, not as quick of course but just that relentless style and headiness.
I just can't see how the Wiz can go wrong picking him up with Wall already in hand and so much available roster space.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | May 28, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Wizards' Arenas reaches out to Wall?
By Mark J. Miller

The Washington Wizards are clearly a team in transition. It used to be Gilbert Arenas'(notes) team, but since his suspension at mid-season for his locker-room shenanigans with firearms, the team has attempted to distance itself from having him as the face of the franchise. The NBA draft lottery that gave the Wizards the first pick overall is certainly helping out on that front.

It is expected that the Wizards will take Kentucky point guard John Wall with that pick, and he will be the great sign of hope for the future. The Washington Post is reporting that Arenas has reached
reached out to Wall, so it appears that he's in tune with the Wizards' plans.

Arenas has also reportedly been working out at Verizon Center a lot recently. NBA commissioner David Stern noted at the draft lottery that Arenas had gained weight during his suspension. "I think he might have put on a couple of pounds," Stern said. "He's going to work it off. He's going to come back as a very successful member of the Wizards."

You can be sure Stern is really hoping so, anyway.

Follow Yahoo! Sports on Twitter at @markjmill.

Posted by: suliman215 | May 28, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

"Coming out of college who would you pick first? Vasquez or Steve Blake?"

Blake in a walk.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 28, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

"what exactly makes Ricky Rubio a hyped up supposed potential all-nba player, while Vasquez is relegated to hoping he's drafted at all?"

Besides the fact the fact that (A) Rubio is younger and thus has more of the much-vaunted "upside" and (B) most people haven't seen Rubio play that much?

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 28, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

If the Wiz are going to reach with the 2nd round pick, I'd prefer they reach big.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 28, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Rodman was 6'8 230 lbs as a rook... [Varnardo] just needs to add a lil weight.

Posted by: tony325

Rodman was drafted as a SF and was still 20 lbs heavier than Varnado is now. Varnado's too thin to be an effective backup center, imho.

Posted by: bobabuie | May 28, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

"I agree that would be a waste for a number 30 or 34 pick, but he would be a good free agent to sign later. I guess everyone has already forgotten about Ben Wallace and his defensive contributions to those Detroit teams, including a World Championship.

Posted by: JohnWWW | May 28, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse "

Ben Wallace was always thick/muscular though.

I'd take Blake also. Blake is better at what he does as a PG compared to what Vasquez does as an inconsistent freelancer.

Let's not think of Rodman during his championship years. When Rodman started out, he was a scrapper for the Pistons...an antagonist. A very limited and clear role.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 28, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Derrick Caracter is basically Glen "Big Baby" Davis redux. He's an inch or so taller and thirty-plus pounds lighter, but they're both low-post players who have trouble getting back on defense against running teams. Davis has certainly helped the Celts at times, and it's conceivable Caracter can do the same for some club. The big knock was his terrible tenure at Louisville but he was very reliable at UTEP last season. He will probably go somewhere between 25 and 35.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 28, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with Greivis, just hope the fans won't fall for the BS he puts out for the scouts, about how he's not there to score but to help make his teammates better. That would require a personality transplant. In his heart, Greivis was born to be a star, missing only the transcendant ability of the breed. I think he could help some NBA club as an off-the-bench energy player, the sort you bring in when the team is semi-asleep, knowing he'll make a play or die trying. You can't teach that sort of effort, and Vasquez has it in spades -- which I suspect is why Gary Williams' adores the guy.

A second-round choice but one who could surprise people.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 28, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

To me, Scheyer is more productive than good, and won't be as productive outside the Duke system. I wouldn't compare him to Redick, a much better athlete.

About Varnado, IMO folks have got it right: he's too skinny to thrive inside in the NBA. He could be one of those athletes you bring off the bench to cool off the other team's hot-shooting SF, however. He's such a great natural shot-blocker that wing players might have trouble getting their shots off. And he's very active on the boards. He sure outplayed Cousins in that SEC championship game, but that had more to do with Cousins than Varnado.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 28, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | May 28, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Magic seem to have no answer for Nate Robinson. I think the little fella made himself some money tonight.

Posted by: bobabuie | May 28, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

"One more thing about Greivis: in a weird way he reminds me of Ronnie Artest if only because he has that knack for making a play out of nothing -- even when he's stunk it up much of the game. Coaches love bench players like that. You know they'll make something happen.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 28, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse "

Vasquez doesn't have the strength nor defensive toughness though.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 28, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

i don't think we need TWO shot blockers, especially one who only weighs 210. i also think we already have enough "characters" on this team. the reviews sound like this guy is a player, but if his reputation is correct, he also sounds like he's a lazy dummy who cannot think beyond his own self. don't think i would draft/sign such a guy. and if he proved me wrong, i'd eat it and still like myself.

Posted by: dcjazzman | May 29, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards clearly need another center. McGee got pushed around way too much. I like what I read about Vornado, but he's too lightweight to be of much immediate use as an NBA center.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | May 29, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

"This is going to be a fun draft, because Ted Leonsis has said that he wants to build through the draft, that he would like more first round picks, that he wants to draft, develop and retain a talented core of players, and that the Wizards are going to have a long range plan and a systematic approach. This should be the funnest draft in many years. It'll be interesting to see how these concepts translate into reality.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | May 29, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse "

Well, then, is EG really your guy then?

How has he fared in the draft and with free agency?

EG can clear cap space.....by shipping out players that he brought in, but beyond that...it's been a cycle here with him.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 29, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Glancing at the Combine numbers, looks like Luke Harangoday, Gani Lawal, and Caracter were the best on the bench press. No surprise, you can just look at them and tell. Beats me why the NBA tests big men on that particular measure. Not much correlation between fighting for position inside and laying on your back on a narrow bench and thrusting weights skyward into the hands of a spotter... I mean, why not a dead lift for centers? That would tell you more about lower body strength, and how hard they'll be to move out of the lane.

So if teams aren't paying much attention to it, why bother?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 29, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

The way it was explained to me, you basically look at two measurements for interior rebounding: standing reach and no-step vertical jump. So a player like Larry Sanders of VCU, who jumps only 25+" without a run-up, is still as promising inside as the much springier Ed Davis of NC or Epke Udoh of Baylor because he's so much longer (Sanders 9'4"; Davis 9'; Udoh 8'10+"). Maybe more, because he doesn't have to jump. But then the scouts insist that the heavier player (in this case, Udoh) has an advantage in gaining inside position in the first place. The fact that Sanders is 222lbs at a miserly 4.6% body fat bodes well for later weight gain. The scouts insist that if Sanders gets up around 240 he'll make a significant impact inside.

He might be a steal of the draft -- even though he's a little older. Like Earl Clark of Louisville who went to Phoenix last year and who many basketball people insist will be a force in the next couple seasons.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 29, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Caracter=poor man's "Hot Plate" Williams.

Posted by: TheophilusS | May 29, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I DESPISE Duke, but I'm of the opinion that Zoubek is someone that should be in the Wizards mix @ 34. He's not going to fill up the stat sheet. But he's a 7-footer and 250+ -- and never seemed to be caught out of position in the games I watched. He's pretty much everything that Javale is not.

Who knows how things will shake out on draft day. But I'd be happy to add a Zoubek-type in the 2nd round.

Posted by: Bellman | May 29, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"Caracter=poor man's "Hot Plate" Williams."

Nah -- Hot Plate was a wing player in a PF's body (or eventually several PF's bodies). Caracter is an inside, low-post type.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 29, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, at least one analyst has us drafting Tiny Gallon. The local Burger King owners would be ecstatic. Another Jahidi White?

Posted by: bobabuie | May 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

if iam in doing the wizards draft this is the way i go 4 picks 2 first round and 2 second round now no1 john wall no.30 raymer morgan if he's there 34 starting shooting guard that can take over after arenas is gone 36 backup center to give Javale mcgee the starting center breather

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | May 29, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Varnado seems to me to be more like a Theo Ratliff type than a Rodman or Ben Wallace type.

Regardless, give me a Wall, Vasquez, Zoubek draft and I would be very happy.

Posted by: Darnell1 | May 30, 2010 4:52 AM | Report abuse

Ted Leonsis has also indicated that he is committed to using "analytics". As for whether Ernie Grunfeld can be compatible with the approach that Leonsis wants to see, who knows. Grunfeld has always been very close to the vest as to how he evaluates players, so I don't think anyone outside the organization really knows how he thinks and what information he uses. However, Grunfeld is smart and will adapt to the times, I think.

As for who the Wizards should pick, I'd say #1, Wall, #30, the best player available, #5 in second round, Luke Harangody. Harangody is one of those guys who is knocked for his "lack of athleticism", but look at this numbers in the Big East. Harangody can play, and will make whatever team drafts him.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | May 30, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

I like both guys, but both Zoubek and Harangody are better suited to the college game than pro. Zoubek has that injury history involving the foot, not promising given the length of the NBA season. Harangody is very strong but why would you draft him over, say, Trevor Booker of Clemson who is the same size, just as strong, and can outjump Luke by 7"? Both were productive college scorers.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 30, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't Wayne Chism of Tennessee getting more love? I don't see his name at all on some of the mock draft boards. Versatile skill set for his size.

Posted by: Bellman | May 30, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

that bench press metric seems worthless to me.

Harangody's an "is what he is" guy and better suited for a team that's solid already rather than a rebuilder. Wiz are better off going for upside right now imo, hopefully uncovering a diamond in the rough.

the more i read about gani lawal the more i hope we can get him.

Posted by: divi3 | May 30, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

... and using the upside theory, do you take a chance on a guy like Ryan Richards? Even if he doesn't play in the NBA for another year or 2?

Posted by: Bellman | May 30, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

With guys like Richards I'd think you decide after bringing them in for workouts. I'm assuming no one has seen him play, and you cant draft a guy on combine numbers alone. Well you can, but I wouldnt.

Posted by: divi3 | May 30, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Richards just finished up a European tournament that produced some video, but he's definitely less well scouted than most players in this class. The reason he's getting noticed is that he turns out to be one of the tallest and 'longest' players out there and looks like he has the frame to add twenty or thirty pounds of muscle. He's also a left-hander with a nice jump shot. Aside from that he's definitely a project, maybe D-league if not Europe. He's the sort of player you associate with Greg Popovich.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 30, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | May 30, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

So if teams aren't paying much attention to it, why bother?

Posted by: Samson151

I was wondering the exact same thing about the 185 press. I figured after looking back and seeing that Dwight Howard put up a 7, and Durant's famous 1 rep, teams would stop caring.

Plus, from the NFL combine, we know that guys with longer arms have a comparatively harder time with the bench press....and the NBA is always looking for guys with longer arms....seems to be a disconnect there.

Posted by: ts35 | May 30, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Grievis has a good chance to be a pro for a long time. Guys who hustle, have strong desire and a good skill set, usually find a way to stick around and contribute. One problem he may have is that he will likely get some lucrative offers to play overseas. It wouldn't be bad at all for the Wiz to draft him the second, but I think there are going to be more talented players available at that spot who can help them more. But it's never bad to bring in players who give a ton of effort like that.

I agree that Varnado doesn't exactly fit a niche that is high on the list of the Wizards needs, but again it's never a bad thing to bring in great athletes with a defensive mindset.

Posted by: ts35 | May 30, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"i wonder if wes johnson will creep past evan turner, and i think larry sanders will end up going before cole aldrichPosted by: divi3"

Wes probably won't pass Turner, but he's a major talent. He's longer than Evan and a better outside shooter. A good rebounder and a reasonably dedicated defender, he'll probably swing to SF. He's more the steady contributor than the end-of-game-heroics type. Most people think he goes to Minnesota.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 30, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

"I think Grievis has a good chance to be a pro for a long time. Guys who hustle, have strong desire and a good skill set, usually find a way to stick around and contribute.

Posted by: ts35 | May 30, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse "

You mean like a Eduardo Najera?

Dude seems to be able to stick around for some reason.

About $880k for every point averaged this season (3.4 pts).

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 30, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Turkoglu wants to be traded

I think Hedo needs an established contender to be effective.
Spurs or Suns or maybe the Cavs not the Wizzies.

Posted by: VBFan | May 31, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Time to revisit the Amare discussions again.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 31, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Amare is not a maximum ontract player.He is a poor defender, does not rebound the ball well, he is undersized as a center.I think he will be a 17 point and 7 rebound man for the rest of his career.The only thing he does an up tempo offense,he is not a super post player as a PF,if you separate him from Nash he will have a high chance to be a disapointment for a maximum contract.wiz are already disappointed, they do not need him.

Posted by: gtefferra | May 31, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtefferra | May 31, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Amare is not a maximum ontract player."
Agreed.
"He is a poor defender, does not rebound the ball well . . ."
Agreed.
"undersized as a center"
Agreed. (Lopez would actually seem a better fit for the Wizards at that position.)
"[I]f you separate him from Nash he will have a high chance to be a disapointment . . ."
Agreed.

Fortunately for the Wizards, gteferra, Leonsis seems highly unlikely at this point to pay max money to anyone, to say nothing of a player with so many negatives.

Posted by: nmik | May 31, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Leonsis would undoubtedly break the bank for LeBron James, but only Miss Cleo thinks that LeBron will actually sign here.

Posted by: Firuz1 | May 31, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | May 28, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The bottom line is that "fans" can absolutely support the franchise without having to go in the tank for a particular player.

I'm a D.C. sports "fan", I love the city and pull for the local teams, and want to see them succeed.

I would like to see Gilbert Arenas shipped out of town or bought out. The city and the fans owe nothing to this guy - he got paid and was turned into a star here and his own stupidity and immaturity has all but ruined a franchise.

GA has proven to be high-risk and low-reward. His knee has not held up for a whole season in 3 years. He puts up great numbers - when he's the focal point of the offense and gets to dominate the ball - which is great for your fantasy team, but all those numbers have not helped the Wiz advance past the second round. And of all the starting guards in the league, he's probably the worst defender.

I'm tired of the Arenas show in DC, and that is BECAUSE I'm a Wiz fan and I want to see this team succeed.

The Wizards are much bigger than one player and a real "fan" would understand that.

Posted by: p1funk | May 31, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope we draft Vazquez.

He's a versatile guard who will give you TONS of spark and energy off the bench. He can run the point and score, and until Sean Mosely started getting regular PT at Maryland, Vasquez was always defending the opposing team's best perimeter player in the guard-heavy ACC.

Posted by: p1funk | May 31, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | May 30, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

We've got JaVale McGee to fill the role of big-man shot-blocking defender.

If we really needed an undersized guy to hustle/defend, we could have simply held on to Dominic McGuire.

Posted by: p1funk | May 31, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post is reporting that Arenas has reached out to Wall, so it appears that he's in tune with the Wizards' plans.

Posted by: suliman215 | May 28, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

What did Gilbert "reach out" to him for?? Maybe he reassured Wall that he's not gonna threaten him with any guns or crap in his shoe??

I hope to heaven that the plan isn't to have GA act as some kind of "mentor" to Wall. All GA can be is a cautionary tale of how to avoid tanking your career and talent.

Posted by: p1funk | May 31, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Turkoglu wants to be traded

I think Hedo needs an established contender to be effective.
Spurs or Suns or maybe the Cavs not the Wizzies.

Posted by: VBFan

Maybe Orlando goes for the 'do-over' and trades VC to Toronto for Hedo.

Posted by: ts35 | May 31, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | May 30, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

We've got JaVale McGee to fill the role of big-man shot-blocking defender.

Posted by: p1funk

As much talent as there could be at the end of the first/ early second, the Wiz should be looking for guys who can contribute.

The first thing they need to be doing is trying to determine what kind of team they want to be, then finding guys who fit into that style. Hopefully Ted will also put a premium on hard-working character guys.

Posted by: ts35 | May 31, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Mikhail Torrance performed well at Portsmouth and the Combine. With Arenas on the roster the Wizards don't need to draft two PGs, but a combo guard would be a good insurance policy.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 31, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"Amare is not the answer. We already have a better, more well-rounded PF in Blatche.

Posted by: Firuz1 | May 31, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse "

Funny.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 31, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Amare dominated Gasul, I thought he dispelled some of the knocks against him despite Kobe taking the series.

Posted by: divi3 | May 31, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: artiesliver | May 31, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

"Impending free agency will do that for a guy. After Amare gets paid he'll revert to form.

Posted by: artiesliver | May 31, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse "

Well, just because some players want max money and then can't meet max money expectations and complain about max money pressure, that doesn't mean Amare is the same way.

Looking at Amare's stats, he's been pretty consistent when healthy, and he was healthy all season.

As much good stuff that AB showed end of last season, he can't finish as strong as Amare.

I think Wall would love to have Amare as a finisher and Amare would thrive in the Eastern Conference.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 31, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Such a fine line between confidence and arrogance, helpful or browbeating members of your team/sticking your nose up where it doesn't belong. This guy is immature and is so over doing the "I'm so wonderful and let me tell you why" hype. He is going to cause trouble no matter who gets him.

Posted by: bjco810 | June 1, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse