John Wall: 'I can't get big-headed'

By Michael Lee  |  May 21, 2010; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall: 'This is a dream come true for me'
Next: Evan Turner: 'Let your game do the talking'

Comments

I hope I am wrong, but I have a nagging feeling that Demarcus Cousins is going to be the stud of this draft. He is a dominant post presence at 7 feet, 250+ pounds. Most of his "personality issues" have been relatively minor, but get magnified b/c of problems involving current NBA talent. I like John Wall, but stud point guards tend to outnumber stud centers. Again, I hope I'm wrong...

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | May 21, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Interesting note on WTEM re: whether Arenas will be with the team come September. A source close to the team said that they don't want Areans even in the same locker room with Wall let alone sharing the backcourt. One can read between the lines, but it's pretty obvious the Arenas lack of maturity and the gun incident are reasons why they would not want him on a rebuilding team.

Any thing that Leonsis and Grunfeld are saying at this point are a smoke screen to not further undermine their ability to unload Arenas. My gut says the trade him to a team like the Clippers or Golden State who have same bad contracts they would like to move. I could even see a trade going down on draft day after Wall is selected. I don't see any way the Wiz will have Arenas on the roster with Wall now as their future franchise player.

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 21, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm impressed with the way Wall conducts himself in these type settings. Your average 19 year old couldn't handle all the attention and scrutiny of such a spectacle. Turner's still my guy though.

With regard to Cousins, there are some who project him as potentially the best player in the draft. At nearly 7-ft tall and 280+ lbs with insane production per minute at the college level, he may be the next Shaq.

That being said, the Wizards can't draft him after all the turmoil with the team this year. Even if they traded down to #3 or #4, they just can't touch him.

Posted by: artiesliver | May 21, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

why turner over Wall Artie? aside from any personal preferences, wouldn't you rather have the guy without the broken back?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 21, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 21, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

adding a personality like Cousins to go with Arenas, Blatche, McGee and Young is asking for more of the same. Get Wall in here and let him lead.

Posted by: DMoney28 | May 21, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

wizfan89,
I sincerely hope that is true. They really need to make a complete clean break. I have terrible concern about Arenas being here with Wall, or even talking to him....Gil is unstable. I do have sympathy for a lot of what he has gone through but he needs a fresh start elsewhere.

This needs to be John Wall's team.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | May 21, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

was Gil so unstable when he "adopted" the kid whose family died in a fire like 5 yrs ago?did you know that kid is still a wizards ball boy? how about all of the charitable donations? All the hard work just to suit up and entertain you. his contract is guaranteed, he's already made more money than we can hope to see. this guy just has no stop button. he's hardly unstable, he just never watched the godfather "A man can't afford to be careless. women and children can be careless, but not a man." he's a grown man who never learned to be serious and how uncool it is to be considered "silly". But this guy is no more of a threat to John Wall's development than Ed Tapscott. In fact Gil might finally have someone to stay up all night shooting js and workout with. This could reignite the flame in the Hibachi.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Did not say Gil was evil incarnate...he is unstable ..poops in peoples shoes, brings guns to work..etc.

I simply want a fresh start, with an amazing young talent, without the influence of Gil who is clearly not leadership material.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | May 21, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards SOLD 400 season tickets as soon as they secured the #1 pick in the draft.....that right there tells me they're gonna draft JOHN WALL! I just don't see where Evan Turner would have 400 ppl running out to purchase season tickets.

So get used to seeing/hearing “THE GREAT WALL OF CHINATOWN”!!!!!!

Just Saying

Dageez from Waldorf,Md

Posted by: DAGEEZ | May 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

So get used to seeing/hearing “THE GREAT WALL OF CHINATOWN”!!!!!!

Just Saying

Dageez from Waldorf,Md

Posted by: DAGEEZ | May 21, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Most of [Cousins'] "personality issues" have been relatively minor, but get magnified b/c of problems involving current NBA talent.

From the sounds of it, Cousins' is more likely to be "unstable" than Gil is.

One of the ESPN guys in Chicago for the Combine said that Cousins has been rubbing NBA GMs the wrong way during interviews. Apparently, he gets poutty and very demonstrative when he doesn't like the question he's being asked. It has also been said that he takes very little blame for his actions when people ask him about some of the times that he has been reprimanded.

Young guys just need to mature sometimes, but if he is already acting this way during a job interview that his agent(s) must have coached him up for, how is he going to act when a coach lays into him in the heat of a game?

Posted by: SportzWiz | May 21, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 21, 2010 11:08 AM

I don't know how anyone knows that John Wall is that damn good.

Thats almost like keeping the fox out of the chicken coup (Gilbert away from Wall).

And the last time I checked, Michael Jordan was given Chicago's team on draft day. He earned it.

To say, the Wizards are now John Walls team would be like putting the Wagon tail in front of the mule.

LarryInClintonMD.