Leonsis on the Wizards

Soon-to-be Wizards owner Ted Leonsis had an eventful Tuesday, beginning with a meeting at the NBA offices with Commissioner David Stern in the morning and ending with his team winning the No. 1 overall pick in the draft lottery. Leonsis has made the red tie and sweater his trademark look as the owner of the Washington Capitals and after last night, I wonder if he has ushered in the blue tie and pinstriped suit look for the team that he should call his own in a few weeks.

Leonsis spoke before and after the lottery, but instead of writing around his comments, I decided to just let you see for yourself his thoughts on the Wizards and his plans for the future.

On experience with Capitals helping with the Wizards: "I took a lot of stupid pills early on with my ownership with the NHL early on, and I think I've learned a lot and I hope to be able to apply some of that to the NBA. But each league is different, each situation is different and I hope to spend the next hundred days not doing anything radical, just listening and trying to get my hands around what is the best path to make the Wizards championship contenders -- which is what the fanbase wants and what the Pollin family wants and what the employees want."

On the fate of NBA franchises often depending on some lottery luck: "It has nothing to do with skill and strategy and planning. It's 'Does a ping pong ball go our way?' And if you look historically at how random that is. You get a ping pong ball and pick Tim Duncan and you win a couple of championships. Certainly, for the most part, the best teams are the teams that pick high."

On his meeting with Stern: "Obviously, the other owners want to make sure that you will be a good partner. They picked my brain a lot about what I learned positively and negatively from owning another team. They also wanted to do a gut check on my passion for basketball. I grew up playing basketball. I grew up a Knicks fan. I grew up in the good days when the Knicks were fantastic at fundamental basketball and winning championships. And I'm a Wizards season ticket holder besides being a minority owner. But I'm ready. I'm really psyched for the opportunity. The interviews went swell."

On Gilbert Arenas: Well, Gilbert is under contract and he's certainly statistically one of the best players in the league. I haven't had the good fortune of spending any quality time with him and certainly once we close on the deal formally, I'll reach out and spend some time with him. I know him to be a great player and a really sweet kid. Certainly, last year there was a lot of turmoil, not only in his personal life, but what it brought the team and the franchise, and my style is not to have any opinions. I want to meet him. I'm predisposed to really liking him. Hopefully, he'll like and respect me, but we have to set up that meeting.

On building through free agency or through the draft: I think it's pretty self evident, if you look at the teams that are still in, for the most part, they have been built through the draft. And certainly in the NHL, we've had good success with that. And I think that the team right now, really needs to rebuild its core. I'd rather do it on the fundamentals of drafting and developing and retaining, good young players.

On following the lead of the Oklahoma City Thunder: One of my favorite teams to watch this season was Oklahoma. And you look at Kevin Durant, local kid, picked second in the draft. He's going to be a great player for a long time. That team is going to be a team to be reckoned with, all built around you draft picks. The draft can certainly help you taking that next step toward respectability and competing for playoff spots and ultimately championships.

On getting more picks in the draft: I'd like more first round picks. I wouldn't be surprised if you see us figure out a way to collect more, because I do think we are in a rebuilding mode. I don't think we need to be unabashed about that. We don't have a lot of players under contract, so we might as well try to create a system and a culture using young players, then using free agency and trades to augment those core young players. That's something that we've done fairly well with the Caps. We haven't had as much success yet in the playoffs, but we've built around the draft and we've used free agency and made trades, but you've got to have that young core that you believe in and the fans fall in love with.

On free agency: In free agency, I'm not an owner yet. I can't even talk about that. Ernie runs the basketball operations. Flip has a big say in the matter. They'll develop the plan, but they know with my coming in that I value the draft. The draft is the way to build long-term excellence into an organization. Being very, very focused on truth and statistics. I've been spending a lot of time reading a lot, doing my own sets of analysis, seeing players and what works and what makes for successful teams. it's been satisfying that Flip feels the same way. The team is very focused on what can it do to retain the talent that it has, but how do we add to it to have a team built to last. I don't think there's any quick fixes. I don't have a magic wand. You can make a lot of noise, Sometimes it's with empty calories. I don't think there's an easy fix here and I'm committed to building the team the right way and we'll make the necessary investments everywhere within the organization, so that we're prepared for life in the new NBA. And we can build a team that makes the playoffs and competes for a championship over a long horizon of time."

On what getting the No. 1 pick means for the Wizards: "We got Ovechkin and we were able to build around him. The lesson is, one player can really, really help. But you have to build around them. You still have work to do. I'm excited, but I'm also responsibly sanguine about it because I know how much work we have to do to make a great team."

On following the Pollins: "I hope to pay appropriate homage to that legacy while still trying to create my own way."

By Michael Lee  |  May 19, 2010; 12:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: NBA draft choices
Next: Flip Saunders: Trade the No. 1 pick? No chance

Comments

Foist!

Posted by: The_Brown_Vice_President | May 19, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I like what I'm hearing from Leonsis - Form a strategy and only do things that make sense. By golly, it just might work!

Posted by: gimmedat | May 19, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

make no mistake, if there was a way to move arenas he'd be gone already. Trying to make Wall and Arenas coexist well will do nothing but retard Wall's development unless Gil suddenly plays completely differently than he ever has.

But Gil is here at least another year, so the organization needs to make the most of it and it's good to hear Leonsis' generally positive nature already trying to mend fences with Gil

Posted by: divi3 | May 19, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

My only concern about drafting Wall is how does he and Gil play together?

Will Wall feel intimidated?

Can Gil change his game?

Will Flip play a rookie or will he sit like AB and JM did last year?

If they draft Wall (which I don't have a problem with) then they need to draft a tall 2 guard who can play "D" with one of their later picks.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 19, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 19, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

As I said before, once Abe Pollin was out of the way, this team would thrive. First, I always said Pollin PREVENTED them from getting a number one pick because he was too cheap to pay a number one pick the salary they would command. Pronto! Abe dies, Number One Pick arrives. How surprising!!! The NBA needs to give up that charade called the draft lottery. Only idiots still believe that faerie tale crap! NBA lottery picks are assigned based on owners wishes. Some want the #1 pick, some don't want it. Abe never wanted it. The Wiz only got the number one pick when another person had a view from the owner's suite. Michael Jordan became part owner and pronto, they got a first round pick. Ted Leonsis becomes new owner and pronto, they get a first round pick! Read between the lines folks. But better days are ahead now! And the fans are deserving.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | May 19, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth

You sir, are an idiot. There's a rookie salary cap. John Wall (or whoever they pick first) is going to make about as much as Randy Foye. As has every first rounder for about 10 years. Ted's been a 46% owner for awhile now. In the meantime, 'cheap' Abe has built a new arena with largely his own money, as well as paid out big cash to Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison.

Abe's gone, we have a new owner. Quit dancing on the man's grave and move on already.

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

NothingButATheory

Posted by: gimmedat | May 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Why is that the chincy way out? Is MJ's legacy lessened because he had Pippen? Wishful thinking on your part."

How many rings and finals MVPs did Pippen have when he signed with chicago?

Posted by: divi3

That would be none. Because he was drafted by the Bulls (in the same year they drafted Horace Grant....now that's a draft!). But Pippen did get voted to the Top 50 NBA Players of All Time list, which clearly torpedoed Jordan's legacy.

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 |

AMEN!

Posted by: VBFan | May 19, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"In free agency, I'm not an owner yet. I can't even talk about that. "

I don't believe that for a second.

But I do think that EG and Flip will be here for at least antoher year. Ted's coming in to late this year to make those type of changes.

"Can Gil change his game?"

Someone said it above, Gil might not be here if you listen to Ted. But I think if any owner can talk to Gil and get him on the same page it's Ted Leonsis.

He's going to be a great owner in the NBA and God knows we are all deserving.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 19, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"In free agency, I'm not an owner yet. I can't even talk about that. "

I don't believe that for a second.

Posted by: rmcazz

He did talk about it generically, but even if he was an owner, he can't talk about specific FAs until July 1. It's called tampering. If you watched the lottery, the new Nets owner did the same dance when asked about trying to bring in LBJ.

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"So this year he was supposed to do it 'on his own' with no-names like Shaquille O'Neal? Who's that guy? Never heard of him. Pretty sure LBJ is confident that he's the big dog on whatever team he goes to, and is not too worried about sharing some of the credit as long as he gets a ring."

Exactly. There's a difference between a fading vet at the end of his career latching onto an already title caliber team in a desperate attempt to get a ring (I'm looking at you Malone and Payton) and a superstar in his prime going to a good team that can put top flight talent around him in order to maximize his chances.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 19, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Trade the late 1st round pick and your 1st second round pick for another lottery pick...add in Quinton Ross as well. I would hope to get Wall & Monroe or the guy from Baylor...maybe both your second round picks and a future for another pick. 3 first round picks could prove sweet!

Depending on Josh Howards knee's I'd draft Evan Turner...no faith in Al Thornton he needs to "bang" rather than shoot 3's. The wiz need to get bigger and bring in a mature vet to maintain the locker room.

Gil and Wall can be one of the better backcourts in the league...guys have more faith in Gil. He's LEARNED HIS LESSON! Gil will remind us all of why we liked him in the first place.

I still like David Lee in free agency and a solid rotational player who takes charges. Do need Amare or Bosh, I'd think about bringing McGuire back or someone like that.

Posted by: Gooddad | May 19, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"I'm pretty sure Abe Pollin wanted the No. 1 pick last year instead of No. 5. Blake Griffin's salary would have been cheaper than the combined salaries of Foye and Miller (acquired for the No. 5 pick). So at least on that level, your conspiracy theory needs a little more work."

I guess you don't understand that some trades are made to quickly DUMP the salary that you pick up. Foye will be around but Miller wasn't picked up to stay around. That salary will be dumped by next season. Now tell me Foye is making what a first round pick would make. Sure. I guess that part of your anti-conspiracy theory doesn't hold water.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | May 19, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

am i the first to drop the nickname "The Great Wall of Chinatown"

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 19, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with Leonsis view of building via the draft... the NBA (NO BOYS ALLOWED) is about acquiring some Vets that know how to win in the 4th Qtr of basketball games. No team of young players has ever won anything. The NBA is not hockey, only 8-10 players see the court in a given game & only 5 of those players are usually major contributors to the final score (double digits). The Wizards have all the youth they need now:

1. Andray Blatche
2. Javele Mcgee
3. Nick Young
4. John Wall/Evan Turner
5. Al Thornton (older but still young game)

The Wizards will need a veteran presence in the front court... Obviously, any team with cap room has to make a play for Lebron, but if you can't get him... the next guys should be Amare or Bosh. Then, do all you can save the rest of your money to see if there is a way to make room next year when Carmelo is available.

The Wizards easily can be a winning franchise very soon if they play their cards right... time will tell, but the draft is a crap shoot in the NBA more than any other sport.

Posted by: tony325 | May 19, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

TS35--

You are the real idiot. Especially if you think that John Wall, as the first pick, will make no more than the 7th pick of the draft from three years ago. Join the real world one day.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | May 19, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"...DON'T NEED Amare or Bosh..." sorry
" Do need Amare or Bosh, I'd think about bringing McGuire back or someone like that."

Posted by: Gooddad | May 19, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | May 19, 2010 1:27 PM

Foye is absolutely making what a first round pick would make because he is still playing on his rookie contract as a high lottery pick.
My point is your theory is inconsistent. A cheap owner doesn't take on even more salaries that place him over the luxury tax threshold instead of signing the cheaper guy. Foye and Miller made probably over $14 million this year between them. Blake Griffin's THREE YEAR contract is probably worth about $17 million. Which is the smarter investment? A cheap owner doesn't pass up the ticket sales created by signing a No. 1 overall pick, a pick that would certainly generate more revenue than signing Foye. You disagree?

Posted by: gimmedat | May 19, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

NothingButAWildGuess

You really should stop and think half a beat before posting.

Posted by: gimmedat | May 19, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

TS35--

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth

If the Wiz pick up Foye's qualifying offer, he will make $4.7 million in 10/11.

According to the ROOKIE SALARY SCALE mandated under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, the #1 overall pick will make $4.2 million in 2010/11, $4.6 million in 2011/12 and $4.9 million in 2012/13. NBA draft picks, even the highest ones, are cheap labor. You don't trade high picks to save salary in the NBA.

To quote Jack Nicholson...."You can't handle the truth!"

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

And that's what makes Steady Teddy a class act and what makes the danny a dismal failure. He didn't want to respect and add to The Squire's legacy; he wanted to replace it with his own...Well you have runt, proud of yourself??

If only Steady Teddy could own the Skins too...talk about Synergy, this town would be ELECTRIC man

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 19, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I was reading the washington post sports and came accross this so i thought I would pass it on Enjoy

Wall has a chance to be a superstar, and rest assured that the Wizards will work harder than ever to find a trade for Arenas. It won’t be easy with the $80 million left on Arenas’ contract; they’ll have to take back someone else’s issues. Philadelphia’s Elton Brand(notes), perhaps? Nevertheless, the Wizards will give Wall a locker on one side of the room with Arenas completely across the way.

Truth be told, there will be tension between the old and new guard until Arenas is moved

Posted by: rnorris6 | May 19, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kahlua87

Agreed. The one plus though is that we could still be going to games in "Raljon".

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ted: PLEASE get the Wiz some new uniforms. Probably won't be enough time to do it before next year, but do at least do it for 11'-'12. Dark aqua and copper is just a gross combination. No wonder you never see people wearing Wizards gear around town.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | May 19, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Abe Pollin built 2 arenas out of his own pocket. He may have had his faults as an owner, like being too loyal to Wes Unseld, but one thing he was not is cheap.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | May 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 19, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse
____________________________

The problem with the Redskins was who was calling the shots from a GM level... now with Bruce & Shanny they are once again a professional organization that will only improve with time provided the owner stays out of the way except for the occasional, "Hey, Bruce/Michael, what do you think of this player?"

Posted by: tony325 | May 19, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Irene's reaction and then the shot of her and Ted together was a great bit of PR for the Wiz and the NBA. Nice way to pay tribute to the Pollin's long tenure as owners, and Ted the soon to be owner.

But just how did they know the Wiz would win? Sometimes just plain ole' bum assed luck makes people look really smart...

Leonsis is saying all the right things about building through the draft. But I don't know what teams he's talking about that are left in the playoffs and built through the draft. All 4 have used a heavy dose of trades and FA's.

A 30th and 35th pick aren't going to move the Wiz up into the Lottery in a trade. But there are a few teams, Atlanta is one, that are rumored to be willing to sell their #1 pick to save money to try and retain their core. So the Wiz could probably buy their way into the late first rd if Leonsis is willing to spend some money.

If LeBron comes knocking there isn't anyone in the league that won't answer the door. The Wiz could have moved into the conversation last night. But I don't pretend to know what Lebron is thinking.

But if wanting to play with Wall was supposed to be a factor in him considering the Nets, there are more additional peices here in DC to surround LeBron and Wall with
here in DC.

Plus an owner that has success in the new forms of media that have emerged. Ted & Bron Bron could form some interesting non NBA partnerships down the road.

It might not happen with Lebron, but DC is going to be a very interesting spot for some top FA's to look at. And I think Ted will sign one of them this summer or next.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | May 19, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | May 19, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

you rarely see people wearing jerseys nowadays anyway. That blue Jordan Wizards jersey is a classic. If jersey's were still in style that one would be huge. But not nearly as big as bringing back the red white and blues. question: do yall just want the red ,white and blues from the 80s and 90s or do you want the Ol' Glory red white and blues

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 19, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | May 19, 2010 1:33 PM |

Leonsis's theory goes wrong when he says, "I think it's pretty self evident, if you look at the teams that are still in, for the most part, they have been built through the draft."

The draft is certainly an important part, but saying the remaining teams were primarily built through the draft is wrong. Kobe was a draft pick and so was Bynum, but Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, not drafted. Boston - again, a key draft pick like Rondo and supporting players, but Garnett, Allen, Wallace -- acquired via trade/free agency. In the NBA it can be done both ways. Yes you need couple decent draft picks, but you only really need one homegrown star and some solid role players because you can acquire the key components of a championship team through trades/free agency.

Posted by: gmAndAguinness. | May 19, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if what "they" (Ted and Ernie) are saying is they'd like to rehabilitate Gilbert (his image and his game) and then trade him for picks.

Posted by: jweber1 | May 19, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv

With Boston, Pierce, Rondo and Perkins are drafted (technically Perkins was a draft-day trade). Garnett was acquired by trading a quality player (Al Jefferson) they had drafted.

Orlando clearly has gone the FA and trade route, but obviously their cornerstones Howard and Nelson (draft day trade) came through the draft. Plus Reddick.

Phoenix is definitely FA and trade heavy, but they did draft Amar'e

The Lakers obviously are FA and trade heavy too. Kobe was a essentially a draft day trade and they drafted Bynum. Plus LA is a different animal, because the league seems to make sure they get what they want (see O'Neal, Shaquille's sweetheart FA move, with no serious tampering investigation).

Then you also have to look at good young teams like the Trailblazers, OKC, and Chicago who have built predominantly through the draft

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Smart moves Leonsis should make

1. Change the name back to Bullets.
2. Fire Ernie
3. Remove all reference to Abe Pollin from the arena and the team. He was a horrible owner.
4. Get a new television broadcaster. Buckhantz time has come and gone.
5. Get rid of Arenas at all costs.

Leonsis will be making a big mistake if he leaves everything in place when he comes in. He has a chance for a total revamping of a horribly run pro franchise. He would be stupid to blow it.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 19, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | May 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

let's not get into that pimpin'. He got free land from the city to build his arena in DC, and last time i checked ticket prices for our back to back 50 loss team was a lil steep for me and mine. He was a great man and by no means was he cheap to the people of DC, but his managament of the team is debatable. BTW i don't remember how much he bought the wiz for, but the fam just sold'em for like 500 mil, so i'd guess however much of "his money" was spent, he got a nice return on his investment.

But enough on Cheap Abe or Benevolent Abe let's talk about Lucky Leo (nsis) and how we're gonna get LBJ, or Gay and Lee.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 19, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone

Remove all references from the arena of the man who built the arena, mostly with his own money. Nice.

Stay classy pogues.

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

4. Get a new television broadcaster. Buckhantz time has come and gone.
Posted by: poguesmahone

No! Not possible! Not possible!

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Grunfeld. Gone.

Leonsis keeps talking about building through the draft, and Gunfeld has shown time and again he's about wheeling and dealing in the free agent market.

Personally, I'll be sad to see him go. I thought he did pretty good work here in Washington.

Posted by: Matte | May 19, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone

Stay classy pogues.

Posted by: ts35 | May 19, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

i'd go one step further Ts35, put Abe's name on the court like Auerbach's name is in the garden. I'm not a huge Abe fan but he deserves that.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 19, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

FIRE ERNIE NOW! He built this team and allowed them to run around undisciplined and out of control for years. Do not let him get his hands on the draft or free agency.

A season ticket holder 2008 to ???

Posted by: abryant15 | May 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

By the time he acquires the team, it will too late for Leonsis to make front office changes for next season. However, I suspect next season will be a tryout for a lot of people, on and off the court.

Posted by: acoberst1 | May 19, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

It seems that all the successful NBA teams have good Euro players - and why don't we? Ginobili, Parker, Gasol etc and we get Oberto who is already almost retired? Who thought that Pecherov was a good player? to draft in the mid-first round? Modern NBA teams and times need modern people and direction. Lets "get on the ball" and start catching up!

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | May 19, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

10. Jean(True Religion,VERSACE,coogi) $30
11. Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $16
12. New era cap $15
13. FREE sHIPPING
14. http://www.smalltrade.net

Posted by: itkonlyyou70 | May 19, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

4. Get a new television broadcaster. Buckhantz time has come and gone.

Dagger!

Posted by: zimbar | May 19, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

"One thing I'll have to point out. Who ever arranged to have Irene on the stage and Ted at the lottery drawing scored a stroke of PR genius for the NBA."

I think people overreach on stuff like this and attribute it all to PR. Personally I feel like having Irene Pollian at the lottery was simply the right thing to do. If they did it to help their image then it was a distant priority compared to simply doing the right thing.

I don't think Ted's the kind of guy scheming in his office on how to get people to like him and in turn getting ticket sales, rather it's more just a product of who he is as a person.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | May 20, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

1. Change the name back to Bullets.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 19, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Gilbert's shenanigans have all but ensured that going back to the Bullets name is out of the question. However, I would LOVE to see us go back to the red, white and blue of the 70s.

Posted by: stwasm | May 20, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

should change the name to the Capitols with an O instead of an I but use the same colors and "Rock the Red"

Posted by: heathdog1119 | May 20, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse