Los Suns in the news

Columnist Mike Wise weighs in on Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver deciding that his team would wear Los Suns jerseys last night in solidarity with Latinos and other people upset with Arizona's new immigration law.

Free Darko's Bethlehem Shoals shares some strong opinions on this topic.

Meanwhile, Los Suns defeated the Spurs, 110-102, to take a 2-0 series lead.

CBSSports.com's Craig Morgan gives the Suns credit for evolving into a gritty team.

In ex-Wizards news, Mike Jones spoke to the Cavaliers' Antawn Jamison about his quest for a championship ... and his days as a Wizard.

In Wizards news ... well, vote here for the team's play of the year (via Bullets Forever).

Click below for highlights of last night's Suns-Spurs game, courtesy of NBA.com.

By Alexa Steele  |  May 6, 2010; 10:33 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former rivals team up for San Antonio Spurs
Next: Gilbert Arenas: Halfway house behind him, Wizards guard returns home

Comments

I used to think when the other teams did it the jerseys were a marketing stunt ex. Los Lakers, Los Rockets, Los Spurs, etc.. However, I don't see a huge problem with the jerseys considering 1. the most of the nba did it during the regular season. 2. It was during the night of Cinco de Mayo. 3. Management and players said it was to support the Latino community not necessarily the illegal immigrants.

Posted by: jefferu | May 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Our blowhard friend Steven A. Smith on why nobody wants to coach the Sixers:

"...What the Sixers won't tell anyone is perhaps the most important thing of all: that they are everyone's fallback plan and nothing more. This is what happens when the job as Philadelphia's next coach is as attractive as walking through a rat-infested sewer."

"This job is something any reputable coach would bypass without a second thought... Ed Stefanski will tell you, "The search is still on. . . . It's going to take some time..."The thing is, fools abound these days, especially when it comes to unemployed NBA coaches...And that provokes them to mislead franchises into thinking they desire jobs that are, well, undesirable. This is where the Sixers come in."

"All the NBA's other coaching vacancies - the L.A. Clippers, New Jersey, New Orleans, Chicago, and Atlanta (since Mike Woodson will be dismissed once Orlando obliterates the Hawks in their second-round series) - are more attractive than the Sixers' job."

"Of all the jobs available right now, the Sixers are clearly the least attractive of them all," one Eastern Conference executive said Wednesday. "That doesn't mean they won't get somebody. It just means the likelihood is that Philly won't be the next coach's first choice."

"Everyone in the league knows Johnson, with all that he accomplished in Dallas, would prefer to coach in New Orleans or Atlanta."

"Hello, Doug Overton (the former La Salle player and Nets assistant). How are you?"

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Philly becomes more attractive when your family is there and your last name is brown.

Posted by: jefferu | May 6, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

There is a huge story a brewing and I'm surprised that not much is being made of it. Let me be the first to say that Lebron James's suspicious injury will become the story of NBA playoffs.

The boy is hurt and Cleveland is going down in this series.

The injury that Lebron has is self-inflicted by the NBA.

SELF-INFLICTED BY THE NBA.

Let me explain.

Going back to last years playoffs against the Majic when it became blatant, the uncalled charging fouls by Lebron is in my opinion is the cause of his mysterious injury.

Over the past two seasons, due to Lebrons annoiting, he has been allowed to bowl through people with few fouls being called against him for charging.

What essentially has been happening is that Lebron has been allowed to bowl/leverage through players football-like and he has been given blocking calls for this type of play.

In the first round playoff series and I don't recall the players name but the player clearly established position out on the floor and Lebron shoulders through the right side of the players shoulder, knocks him to the floor and a foul is called against the player.

This physical play takes a toll on the body eventually and since the referees and the League did not see fit to clean up this charging through players by Lebron over a period of two years now, nature has taken its toll.

Football players get injuries over time just from physical contact in games and practice as well.

Lebron has been allowed to initiate football-like contact on his drives to the basket unchecked for two years now.

The referees and the League allow him to do this and as a result his body has finally taken on a mysterious football-like injury because of it.

Cleveland will lose to Boston becuase of it and certainly Orlando again, but they won't get that far.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if I'm 100% in on that being the cause Larry, but there is no question he gets away with more contact than any other perimeter player (on the low box is a whole different ball game). It's kind of like Kobe's 'accidental' elbows that they finally cracked down on.

I'm also not 100% sold that it's affecting him as much as he's indicating. No evidence to support that, but he has always been a diva, so I would not put it past him to milk his injury to elevate his 'greatness'.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Really? The Sixers are a worse coaching destination than the Clippers? I guess at least the Clips have a stash of talent, but even so.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

It's kind of like Kobe's 'accidental' elbows that they finally cracked down on.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 11:56 AM |

ts35,

Don't know if you remember also that that Karl Malone used his foot and knees first on this drives to the basket before the League stepped in squashed it.

I don't think Lebron is faking though. The physical specimen that he is has probably allowed his body to hold up this long.

When I played ball, I liked going to the basket by finding space and not contact. Lebron has been initiating physical contact in his drives to the basket that is akin to football.

Eventually that will take a toll on body, especially with no pads.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 6, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

i think he's fine and just full of crap. Wants a ready-made excuse just in case they lose. He is DEFINITELY feeling the pressure these days

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

to TS and Larry - about yesterdays comments, I wasn't critisizing anyone in particular, just the idea that there was even any discussion of RMJ on this board. Mason will be lucky to end his career with the stats of say...David Wingate. Now Gate was a fine player, but I don't think made a huge difference on any of the what??? 6 teams he played for.

All i'm saying is that Mason is, was and will be a good man to have deep on your bench.

Deep on your bench doesn't get you to the playoffs. Deep on your bench doesn't win you a playoff series. Why worry about it?

That's all I was saying.

Other than that, I agreed with your assessments yesterday.

As for TS bringing up me saying that DS was one of the leagues best defenders, remember that I already said that was an exageration...but also remember we were talking about 2008, when he was a pretty good defender...and one who had played every game for the past 3 seasons.

Anyway...glad we've moved on to....ther sixers being a cr ap hole??? Great stuff on this board.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 6, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

So I assume AJ is saying he was all about winning, Haywood was all about his next contract, and either Gil or Caron was trying to be the man?

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

we all were mad when Arenas said Butlet has another agenda.So now butler who look inocent was the major factor for the fall of wizard.Amazing.

Posted by: gtefferra | May 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope LeBron is injured and loses, btw

What I really hope is that he is just injured enough to be in pain.

I want him to keep playing in this league for like 10 more years
So then everyone can say of him, "He was one of the best I ever saw, but he cheated every game and he couldn't ever get his ring.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 6, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse
That's how I read it. And it fits my general belief about AJ. However, maybe he was trying to be "the Man."

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 6, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

that lefthanded FT was such a load of horsedung and the media went nuts over it for 3 days....really cannot stand Lebron, regardless of how great he is.

Cant stand Rondo, KG, Pierce, Perkins, or Fat Baby either though...so cant root for the Cs

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

Whats the big deal if LeBron goes down?

They have AJ and he can shut down both KG and Perkins with his "D" while getting his 20 and 10.

He got the Wizards 19 wins last year?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 6, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

FIRE GRUNSFELD!

Posted by: closg | May 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The NBA Phoenix Sun with their protest Jersey LOS SUNS, LOS SOLES OR LOS SOULS!

Posted by: baiyoboi | May 6, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I remember it well! Used to drive me crazy. It's right up there with the Dennis Rodman pull-you-into-him-then-flop, and the Reggie Miller leg-kick on his 3's

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

I don't think he's faking either, just exaggerating the severity. Just like how MJ used to get the 'flu', then come out and drop 50 on some poor team. I'm sure LeBron is banged up by this point in the season, but like you say, a good bit of it is his own doing.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@jacksonward1

Fair enough with DS, I'll buy "pretty good defender", but by 2008 he was too busy doing jazz hands in front of his face and getting into rapper battles with LeBron (and getting crushed there too).

With RMJ, his stats may never outstanding (neither were DS's btw), but I think Larry and I were both advancing the notion that some players help make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. RMJ (for me at least) was one of those kinds of players. You definitely need stars to win, but you need good role players to fill in around them, and RMJ is definitely that kind of cat. Not in the same class, but similar to guys like Derek Fisher or Robert "Big Shot Bob" Horry.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@jacksonward1

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"The NBA Phoenix Sun with their protest Jersey LOS SUNS, LOS SOLES OR LOS SOULS!
Should stay out of Politics and just play basketball. I hope they get beat by LOS SPURS or Swept by LOS ANGELS and team owners Robert Sarver can get LOS! Commissioner Bud Selig needs to Fine the whole team! Just like the NFL fined Bengals Chad OCHOCINCO. Hipocrits!Posted by: baiyoboi"

I don't think politics is your strong suit, either.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I'm telling David Stern that you thought Bud Selig was NBA Commission.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alterego3 | May 6, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

FIRE CLOSSG!

Posted by: artiesliver | May 6, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

From the Mike Jones article above--

“Flip wasn't the problem at all,” Jamison said in a telephone interview on Tuesday afternoon. “It was individuals that had too many agendas that weren't the same. You had one guy wanting nothing but to win a championship, one guy worried about a contract situation and one guy that wanted to be the man. The hardest thing for me was that I kept saying, if we win, it'll all take care of itself. But we had too many agendas and not the same agenda as a team, and that's the reason why it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to turn out.”

--The guy looking for a championship (Jamison)
--The guy worried about a contract (Butler)
--The guy trying to be the man (Arenas)

Do Grunfeld and Saunders bear any responsibility for this??

Posted by: artiesliver | May 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alterego3

Obviously you haven't read the demographic projections for the next 20-25 years.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

artiesliver:

Gilbert and Antawn had been paid (most say overpaid) and Caron wanted to get his. End of story.

Posted by: gimmedat | May 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you 100% Just think talking about a journeyman we didn't retain 3 offseasons ago isn't very interesting.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 6, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

And not that it really matters, but in only 2 more seasons (25% more seasons) DSteve has more than twice as many pts, more than twice as many assists and nearly 3 times as many boards as Mason.

That said...I'd rather talk about who we are going to get to play the deuce next year, cuz I am not a NY believer.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 6, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

And you can add twice as many blocks and 3 times as many steals if you want to include "hustle" stats.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 6, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Haywood was the guy all about his contract, AJ said as much during the early part of the season. Caron was probably the guy trying to be the Man. According to AJ anyway

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

imo DSteve's was always too inconsistent. 7-9 from downtown one night, then 1-10 the next. Did not like watching games boil down to if he was "on" that night or not

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

whatever...DS is gone now. He was a great value and we got more than our money's worth from him. Too bad we had him as the starter instead of the backup. He may have been better than RMJ, but even in his best years he was just pretty good. And his injuries have made him all but useless now.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 6, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This one does not sound to be true.BH was offered 35 million for 5 years, i am not sure what he expect, time will tell.The current information from AJ is indicating Butlet and Arenas.I am so happy to get rid of both, i hope arenas will not stay more than 1 year.

Posted by: gtefferra | May 6, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

BTH is a FA after this season, and AJ had mentioned him ripping rebs out of his hands trying to pad stats in a contract year. Obvious (hindsight) from Day1 this year these guy no longer liked being around each other.

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

There's a role for NY on the team, whether starter or reserve is up to him to prove I suppose.

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

And yet you're still talking about it.

My comment was more directed at comparing DS's numbers to other starting 2-guards. He doesn't fare well. But if you want to compare DS to RMJ....

If you want to make an apples-to-apples comparison, compare their 07/08 stats when they played on the same team (so with the same teammates, against the same opponents). DS was the starter at 30 mins a game, RMJ got 20 mins a game. If you look at their stats on a per minute basis (including the hustle stats) they are pretty much the same across the board. The big area that jumps out at you is efficiency. RMJ shot a lot better from 2pt range (.443 to .386) and FT (.873 to .797 - though .797 is still pretty awesome), and essentially the same from 3s (RMJ .398 to DS's .383). In 10 less minutes per game, he averaged only 2 less points.

I can break out the games where RMJ played a starter's level minutes if you like. Or we can actually stop talking about it.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

As for NY, time will tell. Nick seemed to play a little more focused at the very end of last season. If that trend continues, he could develop into a more complete 2-guard. If not, he'll be relegated against to the scorer off the bench role, complete with the occasional quick-hook.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

relegated *again*

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

and lord knows this team should be happy if it has a guy who can come off the bench and drop a quick 10pts, couldnt bust a grape all year.

i'd like to think Flip finished his "break'em down" phase and now will "build'em up" with the likes of NY, AB, and JM.

plus there will be fresh rook meat on the roster next season for Flip to play tough guy with

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"Los Suns is just another example of sticking spanish down our throats. The agenda of the hiSPICanish is to turn spanish into the primary language of the USA, We need to fight this every way we can. Up with the Arizona laws. Send the illegals back.
Posted by: alterego3"

Just to help you prep for your imaginary future, here's some Spanish for ya:

Wizards = Los Magos
Bullets = Las Balas
Redskins = Los Snyders

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"DSteve's was always too inconsistent. 7-9 from downtown one night, then 1-10 the next. Did not like watching games boil down to if he was "on" that night or notPosted by: divi3"

He was the most inconsistent 3 point shooter I can recall. He'd have whole seasons that were essentially hot or cold streaks from outside. Had to have been his back.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"Anyway. Are we going to draft a 2? Or do some of you still think we should be going for JJ? Or are we going to stick with Nick and see if he turns it up this year?Posted by: jacksonward1"

Wes Johnson of Syracuse has slid a bit in the mock drafts (for what that's worth), but he's about the same size as Turner, plays solid defense, and is at present a much better outside shooter. Just didn't seem to be as much the take-charge type as Evan Turner.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Also didn't help that he had one of the oddest shots I've seen.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

John Wall versus the guy he's most often compared to, Derrick Rose of the Bulls:

"...these are two different players. Wall dominates with his speed. Rarely can one find a player who operates at such a high level while running at full speed. No one can catch this kid on a break, and he may instantly become the fastest player in the NBA, at least with the ball. More impressive, he keeps his peripheral vision broad and is a brilliant passer in the open court."

"He's longer and taller than any player who could hope to stay in front of him, and when he is challenged, he generally can simply leap over an opponent. There's no doubting Wall's natural ability. To be precise, Wall can unquestionably do things Rose simply can't."

"But Rose was a more polished player coming out of college. While he's got a lot to learn at the defensive end, he's always seemed more interested in it than his younger counterpart. His turnover rate was significantly lower than Wall's, and he operates much more effectively in a half-court set. The NBA is speeding up again, but the remnants of the 1990s remain. You can't win a title on the fast break."

"Wall's game reminds me more of Russell Westbrook than Derrick Rose. He's a more natural playmaker than Westbrook, to be sure, but he similarly thrives in the open court. Westbrook's made a case for himself among the NBA's elite point guards, but it's difficult to imagine him carrying a team on a consistent basis, the way Rose lifted the Bulls to the playoffs after a rocky, injured start."

"There's nothing John Wall can't do on a basketball court. His length and athleticism indicate that, with the proper focus, he could become an elite defender in the Gary Payton mold. His speed and court vision suggest he may run the fast break with the smoothness and precision of Jason Kidd. His jump shot is smooth enough to suggest he will improve on his 32.5 percent shooting from 3-point range in college."

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

But if I had to pick a sleeper at guard, it would be Xavier Henry from Kansas.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Re: Wall

I guess it depends on how interested he is in making himself a better player.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

But if I had to pick a sleeper at guard, it would be Xavier Henry from Kansas.

Posted by: Samson151

My sleeper is Bledsoe. Just have a hunch that he's going to be good.

Posted by: ts35 | May 6, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm fully on board with drafting Wall if we win the lotto....but the kid didnt break 20pts in the Tourney meanwhile it sounds like they're describing a superhero.

Posted by: divi3 | May 6, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

So Reggie Miller goes on record as expecting the Spurs to eliminate the Suns in 6 -- he thinks Blair will have a big series against the smaller Phoenix front line, that Ginobili is playing out of his mind, and that George Hill is a rising star. He also rates Tim Duncan among the all-time Top 15...

The thing that made me think Boston wasn't done yet was their outstanding road record (26-15). I'm not much of a prognosticator, but I like Boston's comfort level on the road. Another title? I would sincerely doubt that. But an upset of Cleveland? It's possible, if not probable.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"As far as I could tell this season, not a single player in the league could stay in front of Rose nor prevent him from going wherever he wanted on the court with the ball."

Yes, I thought Rose had the league's best first step. They're both accustomed to going directly at the basket and making the pass from there.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Ty Lawson takes John Walls lunch money. Those so enamored with him might be in for some big disappointment.

Why, I agree, he's probably the number pick by default, I am a bit skeptical of his overall projected value.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

That may be true LarryUpInClinton but Wall has a higher ceiling than Lawson and that is what he is being graded on.

What Wall is talent-wise near Rose without the overall game yet. But the tools are there to be All-NBA like he puts in the effort. Ty Lawson will never be All-NBA like no matter what he does.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 7, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

...

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 7, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Wall definitely has the physical tools to be at least as good as Rose, we'll just have to see if he puts it together. The one thing I was hoping to see from Wall was for him to raise his game, especially when needed, in the tourney. He was good in the tourney, but he didn't seem to raise it to another level. The flip side of that is that the team he was on was stacked (talent-wise and rep-wise), I would say more so than Rose's Memphis team, so perhaps he got in the habit of deferring too much. But if you're widely regarded as the best NBA prospect in college, you need to step up in big moments.

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

" The flip side of that is that the team he was on was stacked (talent-wise and rep-wise), I would say more so than Rose's Memphis team, so perhaps he got in the habit of deferring too much. But if you're widely regarded as the best NBA prospect in college, you need to step up in big moments.Posted by: ts35"

It was also a really young club, except for Patterson. I thought that might turn out to be a real weakness against a more experienced team, and it was.

Be interesting to see what Calipari does this season.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

And WVA also proved pretty convincingly that despite what they look like on the court, they were a tough, tough team.

I think he stays. It's easier to be a 'name' coach in college, I can't see him jumping back to the pros (unless it's for ridiculous money...which it always could be).

If he stays, I think Kentucky will take a bit of a dip, like UNC did when they lost their top 6 players, but he's got talent coming in.

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 7, 2010 10:30 AM |
Oh I beg to differ on your assessment of Lawson. I expect Lawson to become a starter in this League rather quickly.

Look at what Jameer Nelson does down in Orlando. I had to eat my words about Nelson because I judged him too harshly when he came back from injury last year.

But this year Jameer Nelson has been one of the best point guaurds in the League. Ty Lawson can and will be as good and most likely better than Jameer Nelson.

Physical tools is one thing but intelligence and heart is immeasureable. Nelson is long on the latter and so is Lawson.

I'm not convinced that Wall is as long on the latter.

But for sure, I a betting that Lawson becomes a top point guard in this League.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I think Rose is phenomenal. The speed at which he attacks and changes direction around the rim, all the while looking for the dime is downright awesome. As the game "slows down" in his mind, he'll just get better and better. Watching him play is what made my dumb azz realize we have to draft Wall if we win the lotto. IMO, you can see Rose's game clearly in Wall's court vision and speed.

That said, agee 110% I would have liked to see Wall dominant the Tourney at least a little

Posted by: divi3 | May 7, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

oh and Ty lawson name shouldnt be mentioned in the same stratosphere as Wall and Rose...sorry Larry!

Posted by: divi3 | May 7, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

we all know why larry from UNC is talking bout lawson like he's Jesus Shuttlesworth, when there is little argument to be made about the talents of John Wall, the consensus No. 1 pick this year, and Ty Lawson, and early entry that fell out of the lotto. I know Ty is a good player and has the potential to be a very good player, but his size and athleticism (exemplary, but not on par with Wall) limit him in ways that John Wall isn't limited. You can try to teach players the game and hope they'll learn it, you can't teach lightning quickness and a 40 inch vert on 6' 3" + frame........oh yeah, and the silky smooth jumper and globetrotter handle.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Calipari covets the one and done player. That seems to be working for him now. However, its like building a glass house.

Carolina and Duke like recruiting the top players whom are willing to consider a committment for more than just one year.

It's why John Wall though he played in Raleigh, never seriously considered Carolina and Duke even though Duke said okay.

Calipari's success is like fools gold, you just can't continue to expect the top players to committ to you every year and leave.

Carolina lost a veteran Championship Team, but now have the core to run for 3-4 consecutive years in the NCAA's.

Calipari is a gold miner, mining from one mine to the next and you can't even say he found gold with John Wall.

Why? They lost.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | May 7, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you a lil bit holmes. I wanted to see Wall ball out all season, but the tourney is different than the reg season. That's why a team like butler,not devoid of talent, but not on the level of a Kansas or Kentucky; can make it to the championship game. Rose choked in the biggest game of his life in the tourney and he turned out ok. I know you weren't ragging on Wall, but i think he's shown us enough, even withou a dominating NCAA tourney game.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Why? They lost.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse
so what?

does that make Ty lawson a better player thatn John wall?
does that even make Roy Williams a better coach than Cal?
Roy williams doesn't coach one and done players?
Roy Williams hasn't taken a ride on the coaching carousel?

that comment reeked of sour grapes from not getting Wall at UNC.

Larry, you're better than that.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

come on larry, unc would have bought wall's mommy a house if that's what it took to get him

Posted by: divi3 | May 7, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

welcome home gil

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

What we have:

#5 - McGEE
#4 - BLATCHE
#3 - HOWARD*, THORNTON
#2 - YOUNG, ROSS*
COMBO #1 and #2 - ARENAS, FOYE*

What we need:

#5 Major help!!!! COUSINS if possible. JORDAN, round #2. FA MILLER
#4 - SINGLETON and FA ????
#3 - HOWARD gone. JOHNSON if COUSINS gone when we pick. NEMANJA BJELICA if he falls out of draft.
#2 - ARENAS at the two with LIVINGSTON on board, YOUNG, ROSS*. Without LIVINGSTON FA ???? necessary.
#1 - LIVINGSTON, ARENAS, FOYE gone.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

but i think he's shown us enough, even withou a dominating NCAA tourney game.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 11:33 AM

yeah, and there is something to the notion that on such a stacked team he wasnt going to stand out as much.

but we may as well not pipe dream on getting the kid, rather get our hopes up for the shocking evolution of cole aldrich or some other blah we end up with

Posted by: divi3 | May 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Why? They lost.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

The difference recently between Carolina and Duke is that Williams has been willing to take on some one-and-done types, whereas Coach K has not and up until the past season and a half, was trying to play D'Antoni small-ball and getting creamed when it came tourney time. Over the past couple of seasons, he has gone back to stashing more beef. It worked this year, have to see what he does going forward.

Larry, I'm a UNC fan, and I think they're in a bit of trouble next year. They'll lose Davis, and now the Wear brothers are transferring out, so it looks like that core is a bit depleted. The Wear brothers did him no favors either, by waiting until now to transfer. Could be another struggling year for the Heels.

I agree with what you're saying about Calipari to a point. The other side of it is that a) he's very, very good at recruiting kids (legally, illegally, who knows?) and b) he's playing at one of the most storied college basketball institutions in the country, which gives him a natural recruiting edge as well. So every year, he's going to have 2, 3, 4 of the top recruits in the country. So he'll always have enough talent to make some noise, and every few years he's going to get lucky (or good) and have it coalesce into a championship caliber team.

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

FYI

- Gilbert Arenas arrived home from a halfway house Friday morning, having completed one part of his punishment for bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room.

Posted by: VBFan | May 7, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Has he paid that one company the $70,000 yet for the guns he ordered but never picked up?

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't think so.
That's some steep rent for 4 years of storage for 5 pistols.
I'd a stored them for half that.

Posted by: VBFan | May 7, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Euroleague Final Four is streaming on EPSN3.com today. Barcelona vs. CSKA Moscow just started.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 7, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Euroleague Final Four is streaming on ESPN3.com today. Barcelona vs. CSKA Moscow just started.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 7, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

They couldn't fit the EFF on The Ocho?

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 11:28 AM |

I think you better check Ty Lawson again. The only thing that John Wall has that Ty dosen't have is the fact that he is 6'3".

Length is all Wall has on Lawson. All that is negated by everything else that Lawson dose better than Wall, including a globetrotter handle as you call it.

And not to mention the fact that Lawson is a Money Player that shows up consistently when the game is on the line.

I would love to see any film that actually shows that John Wall is actually faster with the ball up the court than Lawson.

I think you better check Lawson real close again.

Do you realize that Lawson had to be left in games in the playoffs this year when Mr. Bigshot was brought back in because he was actually more effective than Mr. Bigshot at sparking the team.

Hell, it might have worked to Denver's favor if they had started Lawson at the point and moved Billups to the two.

A Tarheel fan I am, but take a closer look at Ty Lawson.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

From Rivals.com:
"..a couple schools jumped into the top 10 with late additions to their classes."

"Kentucky makes the largest splash, jumping into the rankings at No. 2 thanks to the spring signings of Enes Kanter (No. 3), Brandon Knight (No. 6) and Doron Lamb (No. 21). If Kentucky were to land Terrence Jones, who has yet to decide between UK and Washington, the Wildcats would take over the No. 1 spot for the second year in a row. The signing period ends May 19."

"With Kentucky's entry into the rankings, the SEC is now tied with the ACC with five schools in the rankings. The ACC, however, has three of its schools ranked in the top 10; Kentucky and Tennessee are the SEC programs in the top 10."

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Larry, I like Lawson, too, and I doubt Wall is faster with the ball than he is (maybe as fast, but not faster), but I think you sawed off the limb behind you with the statement above. Lawson is definitely primed to be a worthy successor to Billups, but right now, I want the ball in Billups' hands when the money games start.

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

And no, it isn't any sour grapes that Wall didn't choose UNC. UNC was never seriously considered by Wall and they knew it. Only Duke was and that was mainly because of Walls advisor.

Duke committed to Walls one and done requirement but Carolina did not. Walls advisor Brian Clifton had the connections to get him in Duke but Wall was committed to Calipari all along. Memphis while Calipari was there followed by Florida, Duke and Miami. Even NC State in Raleigh tried very hard to get him.

The Tarheels were never in the picture, so there are no sour grapes here.

Carolina probably realized early on that John Wall was probably not their type of player.

As some NBA team might find out as well.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he has officially signed yet, but I thought I read that Jones had already decided to go Washington.

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

UNC does lose a lot of front-line players next season (the Wear twins, Ed Davis, & Deon Thompson.) They've still got Henson (who's actually taller than Davis) and the 7 footer Zeller, both of whom will match up favorably with most ACC clubs. But they'll clearly be a perimeter team, hopefully led by Dexter Strickland. The recruiting is strong -- Harrison Barnes and Reggie Bullock this year, PJ Hairston and James McAdoo in 2011.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

You want to see some footage of Wall that proves he is faster than Lawson? There is no proof of that. But, you have to admit that Wall is a better "finisher" than Lawson on the "fast-break". Of that there is no doubt.

As for whether Lawson can achieve Jameer Nelson? I am not saying he can't. But Jameer is not "All NBA" caliber. Just because you are "All Star" does not make you "All NBA" first or second team. He may sneak on the third team but that is doubtful and only if someone is hurt.

Wall has All NBA talent. No that does not mean he won't reach his potential but, potential is why he is graded as the #1 pick.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

the "only" thing wall has on lawson is that ty is 5'10" and wall is 6'3"?

i think you'd better checkout how many elite nba players are 5'10"

Posted by: divi3 | May 7, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

^^^ I meant "that does not mean he (Wall) WILL reach his potential"

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 7, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

ts35,

Agreed on the comment re: Billups, did stretch a bit. Guess I'm a little sensitive to the talents of Lawson being considered as being inferior to a one and done college fellow whom has hasn't really proven anything yet.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Yep, yep, they still have a top class. But had Williams known the twins were leaving, he would have gone after more size for this year.

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

I hear ya. People have been selling Lawson's abilities short (thank you, thank you) for a while now. He should eventually develop into a quality, upper-third, maybe All-Star caliber point guard, imo.

And I agree that there is nothing that says that Wall becomes a stud in the NBA, but there's no question he has some great qualities that bode well. Quickness, athleticism, size, handle, vision. Vision is probably the most important of those because you can't teach it, and it can elevate a player from good to special.

He does have a long way to go, though, certainly. I could easily see him have a Brandon Jennings-like intro to the NBA where he shows flashes of greatness, but also great inconsistency.

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

the "only" thing wall has on lawson is that ty is 5'10" and wall is 6'3"?

i think you'd better checkout how many elite nba players are 5'10"

Posted by: divi3 | May 7, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

divi3,

Since it is okay for your to round down Ty Lawson height, I guess it is okay to round it up as well, which will make him 6' tall.

Ty Lawson is actually 5'11" tall.

Seen John Wall dunk on any 7-footers lately.

Ha!Ha!

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Suns in the news... and in Wiz News:
"Offenders on probation must report any arrests, including traffic tickets, and need permission to travel outside Virginia, according to information on the county website. Arenas is also prohibited from owning or carrying firearms during his sentence.

Arenas began his 400 hours of community service while at the halfway house. His second year of probation may be unsupervised if he abides by all of its conditions"...
Now Grunfeld can go to work and feel safe!!! Oh that's right!... Grunfeld had nothing to do do with this- its was Abe Pollins fault! RIP(if they let you)

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | May 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

G-Man11,

I see the point you are trying to make, but isn't and AllStar really All NBA caliber.

This discussion came up before as to whether making the Allstar team really meant you are a top notch NBA player.

Now does it put you among the best, the superstars, thats a different argument. Certainly not a place to be putting John Wall if thats what you are saying in comparing him with Nelson and dararerah Ty Lawson.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Larry

The All-Star game is 2 teams, 13 players per team, 26 All-Stars in all.

All-NBA consist of 3 teams, 5 players per team, only 15 players make All-NBA.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 7, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

also, the fans vote on the players for the all-star game. I don't know who votes for All-NBA, but it ain't the fans.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 7, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"Ty Lawson is actually 5'11" tall.In sports every inch counts, especially when you dunk on 7-footers like Djmengba of the Lakers like Ty Lawson did.Seen John Wall dunk on any 7-footers lately."

According to the pre-draft measurements, Ty Lawson, pride of his birthplace Clinton MD, is above 6' in his Nikes. A much better jumper with a running start (36.5) than without. I'm pretty sure John Wall will be embarrassing a number of much bigger NBA players in the next couple years. When Lawson does it, it's a surprise; with Wall, it'll be the expectation.

I thought the article made some good points about Wall's lack of half-court skills, however. That WVA loss seemed to support that idea. Huggins put the Mountaineers into that 1-3-1 zone and Kentucky demonstrated a complete absence of outside shooting (perhaps the tournament's worst since the 3 pointer appeared). But it was clear before that point that the WVA had nobody who could stay anywhere near Wall on drives, and that if they hadn't gone to that zone, and played it so well, he'd have put up as many points as he felt like.

But Evan Turner could turn out to be the better first year pro, depending on which teams they go to.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

According to DraftExpress, the tallest player available in this year's class is Jeff Foote of Cornell, at 7''.25", with a standing reach of 9'3.5". The standing reach is probably more important than the actual height, for a defender at least. Hasheem Thabeet is an inch taller than Foote but his standing reach is 9'5". But neither is that close to Javale McGee, who although 6'11" in socks, hit 9'6.5" on the standing reach.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"I'm kinda on the side that you are. Others disagree. But to me, being picked or voted as an Allstar means that in some form or fashion you have risen to the cream of the crop."

All it really means means is that a player is (A) really well-known by/popular with fans and/or (B) putting up attention grabbing numbers at his position at the halfway point of that particular season, neither of which inherently places them among the best of the best.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

A Tarheel fan I am, but take a closer look at Ty Lawson.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 7, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I've seen Ty lawson play in HS, College and the Pros. He's not better than John Wall. If the only reason that makes him better is in fact the height difference than so be it, he's still better. But you're entitled to your opinion. Would you trade AB for Ty Lawson, cuz I'd almost guarantee EG would buy AB's ticket if it meant getting the NO.1 Overall pick, ie John Wall.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Or more likely, get the #1 pick and trade it for JR Smith and Aaron Afflalo ;-)

Posted by: ts35 | May 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Afflalo like MM isn't a bum, he's just too unselfish. lls

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 7, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse