Magic keep fighting

Morning brew

The Magic pounded the Celtics last night, pulling the series to 3-2 after Boston won the first three games. As Michael Lee reported from Orlando:

The first four games of the Eastern Conference finals were just warmups, practice, an opportunity for the Orlando Magic to regain its rhythm after a prolonged layoff between series. How else can you explain what happened on Wednesday, when the Magic walloped the Boston Celtics with the same fervor, three-point shooting precision and defensive tenacity that it used to record playoff sweeps over Charlotte and Atlanta?

As Lee wrote earlier this week, the Magic are back in this series because of Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson, the two players who have remained constants in Orlando since they were drafted together in 2004.

The Celtics got knocked around quite a bit yesterday: Glen "Big Baby" Davis was diagnosed with a concussion and Rasheed Wallace tweaked his back.

Plus, Kendrick Perkins was ejected with 36.1 seconds left in the first half after picking up his second technical foul -- the first in a silly dust-up with Magic reserve Marcin Gortat, and another for angrily stomping around in protest of a foul call. Trey Kirby of Ball Don't Lie asks: Did Kendrick Perkins deserve his ejection? An NBA spokesman said the league plans to review both of Perkins's technical fouls and a decision is expected today.

Yesterday on this blog, Lee also asked: Can John Wall and Gilbert Arenas work?

The NBA playoffs continue tonight in Los Angeles, where the Lakers and Suns are tied at 2-2. The Eastern Conference finals pick up tomorrow in Boston.

For highlights of last night's game, look below (courtesy of NBA.com).

By Alexa Steele  |  May 27, 2010; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Can John Wall and Gilbert Arenas work? Yes and maybe
Next: Lakers get lucky, Celtics get worried

Comments

Did Kendrick Perkins deserve his ejection?

I guess it depends on which team the refs had their bets on?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 27, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 27, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"the sudden resurgence of the two trailing teams in the conference finals only makes donaghey look better."

If you're suggesting that the refs are somehow manipulating the games' outcomes in pursuit of some agenda on the part of the NBA, that seems unlikely. If anything, what's happening now actually goes against what Stern wants, which is a Lakers/Celtics Finals as quickly as possible.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

I don't really buy an NBA conspiracy either, but the one argument for it is that they are creating more interest in these series by having the trailing team come back. I'm much more interested now in game 6 of Boston/Orlando and game 5 of LA/Phoenix than I was when it was 3-0 and 2-0 respectively. They can do that and still have their Lakers / Celtics Finals.

BTW, if the Magic do come back and win the series....Howard's elbows for MVP?

Posted by: ts35 | May 27, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"I don't really buy an NBA conspiracy either, but the one argument for it is that they are creating more interest in these series by having the trailing team come back."

But the amount of additional interest in these series now would not come close to making up for the difference in interest between a Lakers/Celtics Finals versus a Magic/Suns Finals.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

BTW, if the Magic do come back and win the series....

Posted by: ts35

SDMDTSU can say with a straight face that the Celts' age just caught up with them. ;-)

To be honest, before the series started I thought the Magic would beat them handily. The Celts have certainly shown me something and they'll win the series. Even if it takes seven games.

Posted by: artiesliver | May 27, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Kalo never did answer my question. I wonder why?

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Not that I actually give a f*$k . . . but what question?

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, well I do and always will but I'm not going to get into that here.

BUT, I think Magic Johnson said it best: Boston looks tired.

And they do. If it goes 7 games Orlando is winning it. And it's funny just a few days ago everyone had LA/Celts pegged in the Finals.

Even stinky Wilbon said as much. If he writes anything else, then I will lose what respect I have left for him.

Boston can't close out and even if they do make the Finals they aren't going to beat anyone from the West.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

i wasn't saying that they want a suns/magic finals at all. Simply that the league might wanna try to stretch out as many games as they can given the handful of sweeps in the early rounds. The more broadcasts they show, the more commercial time that can be sold and cashed in upon,right. Unless the NBA sold all of it's potential commercial airtime prior to the playoffs and refunds the companies for commercials not aired, it would seem like the NBA would maximize their advertising revenue with more opportunities to advertise ie more broadcasts/more games/longer series. I dunno if that's how the advertising money works with the NBA and the networks so one of you guys help me out.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10

I don't know exactly how it works, but what they can charge for ad time is based on how well their stuff is rating. Sweeps are not good for ratings. Coming down from 3-0 and having a chance to tie a series, should be good for ratings.

Posted by: kalo_rama

But at least in terms of the Celts, I think Ray (and Magic) have it more right. I think the Celts are tired. After their long series with the Cavs. And I also think they went up 3-0 and took their foot off of the pedal a bit. Rondo has not been as dynamic the past two games. My guess is that he will come out a lot harder in game 6. If he has a good game, and if the League Office rescinds the second of Perkins' tech as some expect, so he gets to play, I think the Celts take it. If it has to go to a game 7, I think the Magic win.

Posted by: ts35 | May 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: artiesliver | May 27, 2010 12:26 PM

Won't happen, Artie. Van Gundy basically handicapped the series for Boston in the first three games by barely playing the physical Brandon Bass who keeps the Boston bigs honest in the paint. Since he started playing double-digit minutes the Magic are winning. And now the Boston bigs are hurt. The Magic will humiliate the Boston Geriatrics and come back from 0-3 to win the series.

Posted by: gimmedat | May 27, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Kalo-Rama

It don't matter cause it exposed you to that same bullsh_t you were spewing yesterday. You were exposed because as soon as I asked it, you disappeared. And you had responded to everything up until that point. So either it was a coincidence or you were exposed. I think the latter.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

And btw, I also loved Doc Rivers post game comments about Big Baby passing the post-concussion test.

"I don't know what kind of tests they're going to do with Baby. He's a little delirious anyway," Rivers said, chuckling.

Posted by: ts35 | May 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Dwight will be the new karl Malone with no midrange J. He'll be more famous for running the floor and bodying folks with inadvertant elbows than he will be for being a member of a championship team

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood

The way the Celtics brought the physicality to Howard in the first few games of the series, if he had not turn the tables, what would they have been saying. I know the celtic fans don't like it but the celtics for sure started it. Every time Dwight got the ball down low, they were intentionally hacking him so he could with the bonus of him having to go to the line. and believe me, those hacks hurt.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't say come back to win the series, I said come back to make each series more interesting.....and then still have the Lakers and Celts win. That would be the conspiracy model."

I know what you said. What I said was that the longer they stretch these current series out the better the chance will be that the Magic and Suns win, which would be contrary to what I'm pretty sure everyone acknowledges that Stern wants to see, which is Lakers/Boston. In the last games, Bynum is already hurt, so the longer that series goes on the more ineffectual he becomes. And we just saw two of Bostons bigs get hurt and another one is facing suspension. Not something you want if you're pushing for the Celts to win.

Prolonging these series actually endangers the NBA's preferred bottom line.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

G-man . . .

I have no idea what "question" you're talking about. But, luckily for me, I don't give a rat's ass. Besides, whatever the question was, the odds are pretty good that the answer was "you're an idiot."

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"The more broadcasts they show, the more commercial time that can be sold and cashed in upon,right...I dunno if that's how the advertising money works with the NBA and the networks so one of you guys help me out."

The NBA does not sell advertising, the networks contracted to show the NBA games do. No matter how many games are played in these respective series', the NBA will not see another dime. They've already sold the rights to their games to ESPN/TNT. Those networks are the only ones that stand to benefit from an extended series for an immediate profit.

Posted by: psps23 | May 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"Of course if the NBA does happen to draw more viewers due to more competitive series', they can then use that as a selling point for future negotiations with TV contracts."

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

lol at lilhollywood hating on DHoward's game. He's straight torching the Celtics right now on both ends of the court. If the Magic play their cards right, they're going to own the Eastern Conference for years to come because of that man.

Posted by: psps23 | May 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"They draw more viewers by broadcasting games more people want to see. More people will watch Lakers/Celtics than any other possible combo, so anything that jeopardizes the likelihood of that pairing does not serve the interests of Stern's bottom line."

I agree. I don't think there's a chance in hell refs are purposefully trying to sway games toward the Magic or Suns (at least at the influence of Stern or the NBA).

Posted by: psps23 | May 27, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Celtics' confidence has been shaken and are a little long in the tooth. The Magic now believe they can win and are young and hungry. If anything, Orlando's energy levels are rising. The Celts better go "all in" for Game 6 in Boston or it's a wrap. They have no chance of winning Game 7 in Orlando.

Posted by: bobabuie | May 27, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Update: Looks like Perkins' second T was rescinded, so he's good to go for game 6."

At least until he picks up another one in the first half and gets suspended for the next game.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

makes sense. why wait a week and a half to watch the finals when you can have more games to watch and commercials to air.

Posted by: jefferu | May 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Sweeps in both Conf Finals are not good for the league, especially after the sweeps in the 3 of the 4 previous series.

Looks like any GM that says lebron's name gets hit with fines, Hawks' GM just got hit for $25k

Lebron, DWade, Joe Johnson, and Bosh all getting together to discuss where they want to sign etc. Talk about a players league

Posted by: divi3 | May 27, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The word ‘smart’ comes up quite a bit when watching Aguilar, and for good reason. He plays a very mistake-free brand of basketball, having committed just six turnovers in over 300 minutes of action in 10 games this season, a big reason why his coaching staff seems to trust him so much. Watching him on film, it’s not difficult to see how well he executes in his team’s half-court offense, as he plays with great poise and finds ways to make things happen. His 3/1 assist to turnover ratio would be considered outstanding for a point guard, let alone a power forward, and he currently leads the league in turnover ratio, coughing the ball up on a minuscule 6% of his possessions.

Pablo Aguilar will have a workout in D.C.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 27, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

and KALO-RAMA

why didn't you respond to the following post since you like to critique someone's opinion: The fact is that when he took over the Caps he not only did implement a long-term rebuilding plan but, in contrast to how most teams hadnle it, he openly and publicly announced it would be a long-term rebuilding project, preparing the fans for the hard reality of some bad seasons ahead.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 26, 2010 1:52 PM

The actual fact is he traded for Jaromir Jagr as fast as he could then signed him to the biggest deal in NHL history in the hopes he could buy a Stanley Cup quickly through FA and big spending.

Posted by: divi3

That was the post Kalo-Rama. Don't get offended just because you got exposed. It don't matter. I never respected you before anyway!

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The longer they stretch these current series out the better the chance will be that the Magic and Suns win, which would be contrary to what I'm pretty sure everyone acknowledges that Stern wants to see, which is Lakers/Boston.

Clearly you're unclear on how conspiracies work ;-) It wouldn't be hard in a game 6 or game 7 for the refs to take the Magic out of their game. Howard gets involved in so much contact, that it would be easy to call fouls on him often enough to keep him on the bench. That alone puts a big dent in the Magic's ability to compete.

Letting the Lakers get away with more physical play on Nash and Amar'e would also likely be enough of an advantage.

Prolonging these series actually endangers the NBA's preferred bottom line.
Posted by: kalo_rama

Injuries are a legit concern. Injuries to Glen Davis and Bynum aren't going to hurt ratings, but certainly injuries to Kobe would. Injuries to Garnett or Rondo might as well. I don't even think injuries to Pierce or Allen hurt ratings that much.. If the NBA were involved in a conspiracy, I'm sure they would balance the injury risk with the benefits of building up interest before the Finals.

Anyway, I'm sure we could debate the merits back and forth ad infinitum, but it's not really worth it for a hypothetical like this. Suffice to say that I agree Stern will be happiest if and when the Lakers and Celtics get to the Finals.

Posted by: ts35 | May 27, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

how many times was he knocked out or got a concussion? I'm all for Dwight being physical. It's just interesting how many times Malone Incidentally knocked someone out with an elbow. DH12 is super reckless with the bows. He gets free shots when he's fouled, what did big baby get?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 27, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood

From how I viewed the Big Baby concussion, I didn't think was from an elbow or intentional, just bad luck on Big Baby's part. Most of the time when Howard is being fouled HARD, he is being attacked from behind. How is he supposed to protect himself, or is it your thoughts that he not protect himself from assaults occuring behind his back? He is supposed to go up strong.

Now if he swings his bows, yeah, fouls should be called, but again, Boston started the physicality. Why should they whine? They started the fight, backed Orlando into a corner, only way out was either submit and accept seasonal death, or fight back.

You know they would have, if they hadn't started already, blasted Orlando for being soft if that is what happened.

So now Boston got away with bullying Orlando, but Orlando hit they as-es back, and the bully is exposed like Kalo.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10

They did call an offensive foul on Howard for a weak 'bow after a rebound earlier in the series. So they do get him for some of them, some times unwarranted. That one, to me, looked like a legit accident. It's one of those cases that looks worse because it made Big Baby loopy....er.

Posted by: ts35 | May 27, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

ts35,
You saying Howard turned Davis into Big Loopy? It just might catch on!

Posted by: bobabuie | May 27, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"It's just interesting how many times Malone Incidentally knocked someone out with an elbow."

Except in most of those cases it was incidental and everyone knew it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he kind of reminded me of Otis from Andy Griffith

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Make that:

Except in most of those cases it wasn't incidental and everyone knew it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"Injuries are a legit concern. Injuries to Glen Davis and Bynum aren't going to hurt ratings, but certainly injuries to Kobe would. Injuries to Garnett or Rondo might as well. I don't even think injuries to Pierce or Allen hurt ratings that much.."

Don't know why you're going on about injuries hurting ratings. I wasn't suggesting that injuries to anyone would hurt ratings for the current series. I was suggesting that the longer the Conference Finals go on, the more injuries could become a factor that tips the outcome in favor of the Suns and Magic, thus tipping it away from a Lakers/Celtics Final and Stern's preferred agenda, which is evidence against the idea of a conspiracy to extend the conference finals.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"why didn't you respond to the following post since you like to critique someone's opinion:"

The response is simple and blindingly obvious: How'd that whole "buying a title" approach work out for Leonsis? Not so well, huh? And as soon as he realized this, he went full bore into dismantling it (which he doesn't have to do for the Wiz, because Grunfeld's already got that ball rolling). By contrast, the calculated rebuild approach has resulted in making the Caps relevant again after years of being NHL afterthoughts. Has it resulted in a title? Nope (at least not yet). But you have to walk before you can crawl.

Any more questions?

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 27, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

where 'evidence' = your opinion. And sorry, I thought you were arguing that injuries would hurt the final product of a Celts / Lakers series. Which, If there was a conspiracy, would be a foregone conclusion because the refs have enough options to tip the scales back in the favor of whatever team they wished to.

Posted by: ts35 | May 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Pablo Aguilar will have a workout in D.C.

Posted by: djnnnou

Interesting player. Never hurts to bring a guy in for a workout, and I am all in favor of smart ball players. Not sure if he fits into what I would like to see the Wizards do with their draft picks this year. And he might be better served by working on his game another year in Europe.

Posted by: ts35 | May 27, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

fools gold! he can have 40 pts and 20 rebs, if JJ,Jameer, and Shard or Vince doesn't step up for game 6 the way they've been stepping up for the last 2 they'll be going home. Get real, Jameer Nelson a 12ppg player is avging 23.5 over the last 2 gms. Jj reddick, a 9 ppg scorer is aving 14. Lewis is hitting his reg season avg of 14ppg. The only let down is VC. other than that everyone else is gettin some, including DH12. I think Stan Van is not worrying about trying to run his O through Howard all game and letting other gus get involved and create. He's also rested DH by giving Bass more mins. DH has played really well. But i think he'll be better know as a runner and jumper, with no moves and reckless elbows.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 27, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Even if Livingston wanted to play here (he doesn't) keeping him, Arenas, and Wall makes no sense.

---------------------

I'm not arguing that we should keep arenas, wall, and livingston. but for the sake of curiousity. what would be the major disadvantage to having livingston as a back up (besides the fact that he would rather take a deal as a starter or on a championship team.)?

The biggest advantage i could see would be to have Livingston around for matchup problems...if arenas/wall is a small backcourt, then arenas/livingston and wall/livingston would solve a lot of matchup problems.

not that it will or should happen.

Posted by: crs-1 | May 27, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

------------------------

Friends,

let us not forget that we all have (or should have...) lives...perhaps when someone drops out or doesn't respond to a post, we should share in the joy of being away from the computer for extended periods of time:)

Not in defense of kalo_rama (it's not like he's one to shy away from an argument). but in general I always find it amusing when someone is like "yeah why didn't you respond." when sometimes the answer is "i left work to go be with my kids" or maybe the post just died off and a new post was started.

Posted by: crs-1 | May 27, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35

Givony of Draft Express has said that this will be one of deepest drafts because of the looming lockout and new early entry withdrawal deadline. My guess is that a lot of the international players will wait for next year. And the stretch fours haven't been so successful during the playoffs so many teams are probably reassessing their value. Good to see Ernie looking beyond the college ranks though.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 27, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Basketball folks know that Gilbert at one ain't gonna hunt no mo'. So you let Wall and Livingston solidify the point and Gilbert rocks the two.

It is so surprising to me how many of you folks don't realize how much of a team concept it takes to really be good.

If you can have two point guards on a team, that is a good thing.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 27, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

"Keeping Arenas and Wall and Livingston makes very good sense. Lets assume that Wall is really the real deal, the NBA learning curve should not be taken lightly and Livingston would be a huge asset to the team with Wall."

My guess is that if the team selects Wall, Livingston signs elsewhere, with a club that needs a PG and is closer to a playoff berth. When you've put all that work into your rehab, and have at least begun to prove you can still play, why not sign with a club where you have a chance to start? Or failing that, with team that will win some games?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 28, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

due to the recent developments in Indiana, Snax Randolph will now be called Sacks Randolph. Jeez, this kid's made 50 million+ hoopin, but has to be the dope man. He can't even possibly be making comparable money to what he could get in the L if he spent his free time working out and getting better. It's sad, that so many of our young brothers, with talent and opportunity want to risk it all just to take penitentiary chances.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 28, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Yeah, I agree. I think Livingston wants a combination of an expectation of playing of good number of minutes and hopefully in a winning situation. So he might take a back-up role on a good team, or a chance to start on a not-so-good team. Neither of those seems to be likely with the Wiz, There's always a chance he comes back because no other team steps up, out of concerns for his knee still or whatever, but I don't think it's likely.

Posted by: ts35 | May 28, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: artiesliver | May 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: artiesliver | May 28, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

If their smart they keep both Gil and draft Wall listen if Gil hasn't gotten the message over the last nine months with everything that's happened then he truly is stupid, with he and Wall in the backcourt with the right scheme(from my mouth to Flip's ears!)those two could be lethal if they get JaVale up to his true potential then the sky could be the limit and if they can get a small forwatd who can shoot then ......................... a lot of if's but that's what's up with the Bullet's right now i think the key is their second #1 pick, who will be available? and how will that impact the team going forward.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 28, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmedat | May 28, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag

I definitely agree with that. This is a deep draft. There will be quality guys available at the end of the first / top of the second. The kind of guys you look back 4 years from now and say "How did that guy last until the end of the round?" The basketball gods have made their first pick a bit of a no-brainer. They really need to focus on getting quality contributors (even if just as quality role players) with the 2nd #1 and their #2.

There will be the classic kind of tweener guys who fall (like Poindexter and Ebanks) as well as the guys with lottery-level talent, but a lot of questions (like Lawal and Stanley Robinson). The Wiz need to identify which guys they think can develop and fit the style they want to play.

Short of any moves they make in free agency, I would like to see the Wiz pick up an long, athletic 3 and some beef for the paint with their picks. But there are plenty of other ways they could go to help the team.

Posted by: ts35 | May 28, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag

Posted by: ts35 | May 28, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"

I don't think a playoff caliber team would be looking for Livingston to start. From what I saw, Livingston has very little lateral movement and still protects that knee. I doubt he'd hold up as a starter or playing starter's minutes for a full season. I would guess he's fully aware of what his limitations are physically but if a team is foolish enough to give him a starter's salary, he'd gladly take it.Posted by: artiesliver"

That's what I was saying. If he can't get a regular gig as a starter somewhere, then why not some club where even as a backup he'd have a shot at a playoff bonus? As opposed to the Wiz where he possibly gets neither.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 28, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse