Q&A: First Things First with Dan Steinberg, 9:30 a.m.

Join Dan Steinberg -- a fearless fill-in for Tracee Hamilton while she is on vacation -- at 9:30 this morning for the latest edition of the daily chat. Dan will be pondering the possibilities the Wizards have with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft. See what's on his mind, and submit your questions.

By washingtonpost.com sports editor  |  May 19, 2010; 6:14 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Did the Wizards get lucky or was it fate?
Next: Ernie Grunfeld: 'We're going to enjoy the moment'

Comments

I find it interesting that Leonsis plans on retaining EG and Flip despite the results of the last two years. It suggests to me that keeping the "big three" together for as long the team did in the hopes of making one last title run was Pollin's ill-conceived idea, and that Leonsis was aware of this.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Also the only top free agent I would be interested in is David Lee.

Posted by: mricklen | May 19, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

So, if Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, or LeBron James decided, for some unknown reason, that they wanted to come here, you would say no?????

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

David Lee is a solid complementary player, a guy who can help a good team, but anyone who gives him the kind of money he's looking for is going to have some buyer's remorse.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 19, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm interpreting their comments too literally, but it appears that Leonsis and Grunfeld have no plans to actively seek any of the big-name free agents this summer. Obviously, that doesn't mean something couldn't happen, but a mega free agent signing would appear to be unlikely. Looks like they're more interested in using their trade exceptions and/or other assets to get more picks.

Posted by: and_1 | May 19, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

^^ Either way would be good, but don't ever take a GM's word at face value, it's not their job to tip their hand.

Posted by: hardiboiled | May 19, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 9:12 AM |

You look @ GMGM who was also hired by the late gr8 Abe & retained by TL.
Look how he was treated by TL & see the results.
Same approach here, build from within & the draft with very little Free Agency involvement.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 19, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"People thought I was just going to look over college basketball and not take it seriously, not do my school work and just look to the draft," Wall said. "But that wasn't my goal or my mindset. I went to Kentucky to be a better player. Coach [John Calipari] and [assistant] coach [Rod] Strickland helped me get better. The college experience jump-started me to the NBA.

"I finished the semester with a 3.5 and people thought I wouldn't finish school or blow past it since I knew I was going to the NBA," Wall said. "It made me feel good because people say I'm not smart enough or I don't take my school work seriously. But I took it seriously both semesters and finished with a great grade point average."

That's what you want to see from a #1 pick.

Posted by: saltine182 | May 19, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

oh god, he names Strickland. SERIOUSLY, cannot let that guy weasel into some bs position with the organization...guarantee he is going to try to follow one of the kentucky players

Posted by: divi3 | May 19, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse