Wizards brimming with optimism

Morning brew

The Wizards are still basking in the glow of Tuesday's draft lottery win. As Michael Lee reports in this morning's newspaper, Soon-to-be owner Ted Leonsis, President Ernie Grunfeld and Coach Flip Saunders are all expressing optimism about the future of the team. Here is a transcript of Michael's interview with Leonsis and video.

Gene Wang was at Flip Saunders' news conference yesterday and filed several reports on Wizards Insider. He also shot video.

Columnist Mike Wise isn't sure if the game's gods finally took abject pity upon the Wizards' sorry existence, but he he is sure that the team should not hesitate to draft Kentucky guard John Wall. "Blessed with hops and hubris, his game is straight cash," Wise says.

Yahoo! Sports' Marc J. Spears hung out with Wall on the night of the lottery and Wall was surprised. Wall is represented by Gilbert Arenas's former agent, Dan Fegan, who wasn't ready to say if his client and Arenas could play together. He also sounded unsure about the Wizards selecting Wall, telling Spears, "To say something was 100 percent sure right now is unclear. If [the Wizards] felt that way they would have pulled his jersey out. That didn't happen."

David Berri of The Wages of Wins writes that John Wall is not the obvious pick for the Wizards, ranking his production below Kentucky teammate DeMarcus Cousins and Ohio State star Evan Turner, among others.

Matt Moore also urges the Wizards to keep their options open, writing in Hardwood Paroxysm that the union of Wall and Gilbert Arenas might not be such a good idea. But Kyle Weidie at Truth About It writes that Wall and Arenas certainly can play together.

Last night the Lakers beat the Suns, 124-112, to take a 2-0 lead in the Western Conference finals.

Click below to see highlights from the game, courtesy of NBA.com.

By Alexa Steele  |  May 20, 2010; 9:47 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall's image
Next: Evan Turner: 'I'm more polished. Gritty. I go hard'

Comments

According to ESPN, New york is considering trading Eddy Curry for Gil. (http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm)

While Curry is a dog, he only has one year contract left. If Wall/Gil experiment does not work, that seems to be the way to go!

Posted by: sagaliba | May 20, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Leonsis, Grunfeld and Saunders.

Bask in the rays of their collective brilliance.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba

I hope they at least give the Wall/Arenas backcourt a chance before trading him. Once Arenas is off the roster there is no doubt that they're serious about completely starting over from scratch.

Posted by: 2020doc | May 20, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba

Wow. That would give them the flexibility to sign one max player this year (if we can get one) and still allow us to sign another one next year when Curry's contract expires. Or at least the flexibility to bring in complementary pieces.

Gilbert would be a good fit for D'Antoni's system I think, but not sure if it's the best time for him to head for Bright Lights, Big City.

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

If that's true, I'd take it as a sign that the Knicks are getting desperate, putting contingencies in place for when Lebron gives them the brush off.

"Once Arenas is off the roster there is no doubt that they're serious about completely starting over from scratch. "

There's really no doubt now.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | May 20, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Hard to believe Big Ed is only 28 this December. They list him at 295 but from the photo that appears to be a distant memory. The Wiki entry says he's got a wingspan of 7'6.5" which should have made him something of a defensive player. Shows you how important that measurement was, huh?

Curry went 4th in 2001 in what had to be one of the weaker top tens in memory. Not that there weren't some good players (Gasol, Jason Richardson, Battier, Joe Johnson) but the rest of the crop were marginal-to-outright bust (Kwame, Tyson Chandler, Curry, Ed Griffin, Diop, Rodney White).

Please note that the last two picks of the first round were Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley, however.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 20, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I'll always have a place in my heart for Curry because he was the inspiration for one of my all-time favorite sports quotes.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

I remember when some teams were super excited about Curry because they heard he could do a back-flip, so they were drooling at the prospect of his size and 'athleticism'. Well, they got the size part at least.

I agree about being one of the worst top-tens, but I would take Tyson Chandler out of the marginal-to-bust category. He had some very productive years where he was pulling down a ton of boards and blocking shots. He never fulfilled his promise, but I would say he would net out as an average player.

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Arenas, McGee and the Wizards #1 for Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, and the Clips #1?

No-brainer, nothing to think about, right?

Posted by: bobabuie | May 20, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Chandler was the number 2 overall pick. If "average" is the best that can be said about him, then he's a massive disappointment at best and a bust at worst.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The only reason I would make that Arenas for Curry trade is to free up enough room for a max FA next year. Carmelo Anthony will be a free agent and the lure of coming back home to win a NBA Championship would be hard to pass up especially to play with John Wall

Posted by: capsfan5252 | May 20, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Here is a thought, we know Sixers is in need of a pg, what do you think if Sixers will offer their #2 (Turner) plus a good young player for Wiz's #1 (Wall)?" - sagaliba

Pretty sure Philly has Lou WIlliams and Jrue Holiday at PG, so not really a 'need.' Really, they're hurting in the frontcourt, where they have just some ok guys.

Besides, I wouldn't trade Wall for anyone on Philly's roster, though I do think Igoudala would make for a great backcourt mate. I'd take on Dalembert's salary as well in a potential trade involving Arenas. Though I'd have to think that Philly could find better offers.

Posted by: segastyle | May 20, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Leonsis, Grunfeld and Saunders.

Bask in the rays of their collective brilliance.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse
.........................................

LOL! Melodious is always good for a laugh.

I appreciate Ted Leonsis bringing us some good luck in the lottery, and I welcome him as our new owner, but apparently he suffers a bit of Pollinitus. Grunfeld, the Unselds, Ed Tapscott (pathetic), the medical staff, and talent-scouts, all appear to be sticking around under the new owner. A major house-cleaning does not appear to be in-order and it is desparetly needed.

Yes, Ted he has not officially taken-over yet, but typically you would start to see some resignations etc.

Posted by: closg | May 20, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

stop this silly trading the #1 pick...why in tarnations would we trade the #1 pick overall especially when we can get a sure fire cant miss future all-star. And if we can get rid of Arenas and just have a bunch of young guys running out there, i would love it. that truly defines..rebuilding. The egos of an arenas and Wall is difficult to imagine. But its a no brainer. Gil is going to be 29, wall is going to be 20. its a definite no brainer, you start over with a young nucleus in wall, blatche and our other first round draft pick.

Posted by: mrhney03 | May 20, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Chandler at least was a solid starter on a team that had the best record in the West in '07/'08 (NOH 56-26). He played 35mins, 11pts, 11rbs, with a .623 FG%. He was just developing into a productive pro, when injuries started robbing him of his ability (and some would say his desire). So, disappointing, yeah, bust, no.

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"I'll agree with disappointment, but not 'massive', and I think you need to look up the definition of draft bust. And especially when comparing him to his high school compatriots from that class, Kwame and Curry. Darko with the #2 pick, that's a bust."

If you'll be kind enough to forward me your copy of The Official Dictionary of NBA Draft Terminology I'll be happy to look it up. Until then, I'll go with the same definition I've always used: a player who fails to come close to living up to extremely high expectations based on potential and draft position.

That's Tyson Chandler.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"After a game in which Curry (as usual) failed to show on the boards, then Bulls' coach Scott Skiles was asked what Curry needed to do to be a better rebounder. Skiles replied, "Jump."Posted by: kalo_rama"

LOL maybe he only jumps backwards.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 20, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I like Tyson, if only because he's the only player I've ever heard described in the media as 'noodle-armed', but yeah, for a number two pick he has to be considered marginal. Looks like he played only 51 games in Charlotte, starting 27 and averaging under 23 minutes. For a nine year vet, that ain't sayin' much.

He was better in NO, that's true.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 20, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

At The Very Least, We Will Be On TV Again

I think its pretty clear now that we will pick Wall so I wont talk about Turner anymore. There is only probably 1 trade that even comes close to making sense and its funny because I think both Wiz & Sixers fans will think Im crazy and neither would want it but the only one that makes sense player & money wise is our #1 to Philly for the #2 pick & Spieghts. I just love dude's game and I think him with Dray & McGee could be a frontcourt like the Lakers of the future while we would still have Gil, Turner, Thorton, Livingston, and Howard probably. The Sixers want Turner though because they love Holiday so it doesnt really matter and I think most Wiz fans hate that trade.

Now as the title says, the one thing we can count on again that will be fun is some National TV, Primetime games. Even if the Wiz had Turner & Wall close, I think they would pick Wall simply for that factor. He will put the most butts in the seats, be the best marketing tool, will make FA's want to come here, and will put us back on TV again. I like that also because I think guys play harder when they know the spotlight is really on. Im still on the keep Gil wagon, "atleast" for one year just to see how it works. He will be much easier to trade the following year anyways. For now, I think him & Wall can play together on Offense and Flip's Zone will be our main defense. I still am in the major minority to say the least in that Gil can be a real good "true PG". I think they will just split time there and whoever gets the ball will run it but this is the 1st time in forever that I feel that Gil would be fine even if Flip wanted to use him alot at the 2. I think Gil will still pass alot next year but I think he has a chip on his shoulder and a different mindset now. I think he's coming back with the mindset of being an Assassin again. Thats why I could see him coming off some screens & doing things while being unstoppable & dropping 30-40 again.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think he will hog at all or hurt us but if its there then I think he will have a more aggressive attitude next year instad of sitting back like he's been talking so much about the last couple of years. People are still sleeping on him and I just see all the media & fans dissin him for Wall but when the season is underway, everyone will feel like Gil still has alot of game, is still our best player, and he actually is a good mentor for Wall. I think even with Wall he will still end up being the most talked about player for us and I men in a good way. The best thing about it though is those 2 will get alot of easy buckets for Dray & probably McGee also. Dray's touches will drop but I think he can still put up really good numbers for the simple fact that he wont be doubled anymore and will get a ton of easy layups & open looks that he never got last year

Posted by: dlts2041 | May 20, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"He was better in NO, that's true. "

It's also true that the reason he was better was because Chris Paul went out of his way to make Chandler look good, spoonfeeding him lob passes to get him easy buckets (which were the only kind he's capable of scoring) and massaging his ego so he'd play hard. Left to his own devices, Chandler is pretty underwhelming.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"Looks like he played only 51 games in Charlotte, starting 27 and averaging under 23 minutes. For a nine year vet, that ain't sayin' much."

Even more damning . . . in the first round playoff series against Orlando, Larry Brown opted to start 140-year-old Theo Ratliff, with 135-year-old Nazr Mohammed as first big off the bench. Chandler was third string.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"He was better in NO, that's true. "

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse
CP3 and the NO Hornets are missing the player they had in Tyson Chandler. He could never put it all together. He was an advanced McGee when he came out. All dunks and swats with very little actual "game". If he regained some of his explosiveness, i wouldn't mind seeing him in wiz colors(he's better than OLDberto). Overall, for a #2 he's definitely disappointed folks. But maybe someone should look at the baby bulls and how they were put together then. I thought chandler woulda been a much better pick than Kwame. Maybe it was the gluttony of internet footage of chandler that sold me, but he had that look......and i'm not talking bout the Kwame Brown deer in the headlights look either. I really saw him as being a productive NBA player, and for some time he was, but ultimately he didn't deserve the #2 overall selection.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 20, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

That's Tyson Chandler.

Posted by: kalo_rama

Will do. And I'll make sure I send the version that has lots of pictures. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. My definition of bust means that a player never even becomes a productive pro. Chandler had become that in New Orleans, becoming a defensive presence and dominant rebounder at age 25. Because he's a player who relies on athleticism, ankle and back injuries have robbed him of a lot of that ability,. That to me personifies disappointment, but not bust. Darko, Curry, Skita, Kwame, guys who never even became productive pros, those to me are busts.

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The Wages of Wins blog analysis is a train-wreck.

Here's some historical perspective:

Note that Durant et al had a worse PAWS40 than John Wall does this year -- he also lagged significantly behind Nick "Future HOFer" Fazekas.

The main concern with Wall would be because of something off the court or some medical issue. In terms of ability, the stats do lie.

A great Pro-Wall case by a now heart-broken Nets fan:

Posted by: JPRS | May 20, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"There's not single player on the Sixers roster worth even thinking about giving up the #1 pick for."

Posted by: sagaliba | May 20, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, so Chris Paul got him all of those rebounds? And CP3 gambled and let guys go by him just so Chandler could cover up those mistakes? Damn CP3 is good!"

Yeah he really is.

Rebounding is largely effort. On every other team he's played for, Chandler gave lax effort (not just on the boards). By tossing him some offensive crumbs in the form of spoonfed, Sportscenter-ready dunks, Paul got him fired up and conned him in to playing hard in toher areas because he knew if he did, Paul would reward him with more dunks.

It's basic operant conditioning. Pavlo used it on his dogs all the time.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Make that:

Pavlov used it on his dogs all the time.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"No? Not even Turner (#2) plus either Speights or Thaddeus Young? (I didn't say trdes #1 stright up, but swapping #1 with #2 + a good young player.)"

I know what you said. And . . . no.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Weidie's at Truth About It article (link above) dispels some of the bs suppositions and rumors surrounding Gil by his haters.

I sincerely hope some folks here read it and open their minds to the possibility. Gil and Wall is a dynamic duo. Fortunately, Wall would be Batman, lessening the burden on Gil.

Posted by: original_mark | May 20, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Id swap to #2 if they gave up Speights. Hes solid and can shoot well for a big guy

Posted by: DMoney28 | May 20, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It's basic operant conditioning. Pavlo used it on his dogs all the time.

Posted by: kalo_rama

Ah. I see. So when Chandler was in Chicago averaging 7.7 boards in 23mins in 03/04, 9.7 in 27mins in 04/05 and 9.1 in 26mins in 05/06, CP3 was calling him on the phone, propping up his ego, and just hoping someday they might play together? I was wrong, CP3 isn't just good, he's a genius!

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

segastyle,

Posted by: sagaliba | May 20, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@closg,

You gotta give Leonsis time to get in the building at least. A soon-to-be owner can't fire anyone. I have no doubt the appropriate adjustments will be made throughout the organization once everything is official. But, rest assured that Grunfeld and Saunders aren't going anywhere.

With regard to the scouts, the biggest problem is not their eye for talent but the fact that there aren't enough of them. I would expect a few more to be added over the coming weeks. Leonsis will run a first-rate organization from top to bottom. Of that I have no doubt.

Feel free to brag to your friends that your Wizards are in capable hands.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Kalo_rama,

While it is true that Flip was responding to John Wall's own comments, he clearly professed an approval of those comments by John Wall.

In fact, he as much inferred that the decision by John Wall not to wear braids and baggy pants was indicative of good character and an example to be looked up to.

Now thats all good any my initial reaction was that this was a very good thing for John Wall.

Now, braids and pants hanging of the arse, I don't have an affinity for, but when I clearly open my mouth and express my opinion about them, whether it is clearly to agree with someoneelse's opinion about them, I am also expressing my opinion about them.

Stop cutting hairs, I am sure that Flip stands behind what he said and what he believes, but Flip should have chosen a better way to comment on those particular issues.

When people show up with tatoos visible all over the place, braids in hair, even women, and pants hanging off thar' arse, and say they want a job application, I have a hard time believing they are really looking for one.

I say to myself, you must be joking.

But I keep those opinions to myself. Some things you must leave unsaid and it was inappropiate for Flip to reveal his views on braids, tats, and disgraceful fitting pants, revealing stinking underwear at that time.

Sometimes when we give out personal compliments, we also show our own personal preferences which is what Flip did.

So just because Flip is biased towards braids, tats, and pants falling off the arse dosen't make it a bad thing, for I am biased to them as well.

But you cannot always admit to your biases in public and that is all Flip is guilty of.

So, this isn't about reading comprehension, or ripping Flip, and now we should rip John Wall too.

You just can't say everything in public. I agree with John Wall and Flip, but Flip should have known he shan't have commented on braids, tatoos, and pants revealing a person's crack in Public.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 20, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

GM,

While you know, I was all in for Mark Jackson being selected as coach of this Wizard Team, I also accepted the fact that Flip also was a good choice.

My guy did not get selected and I am almost sure now that Mr. Grunfield had Flip preselected even before Eddie Jordan was fired. So why did not Flip come in right away. Mistake on both their parts.

The reason that I am so hard on coaching, is because I believe that coaching is so important, enormously important for the success of a Team in the NBA.

Sure you must have great players to win it all, but the right coach/coaching must always coexist.

As the season progressed, I/we all saw things from a coaching standpoint where Flip IMO should have done better.

It is for all the things that I saw last year that leaves me unconvinced that Flip is really the right guy.

I hope that I am wrong.

Mark Jackson could be the wrong guy.

But I can only go on what I see.

One quick basketball observation. The Lakers have been touted time and time again for the play and length of their Bigs.

The Wizards under Flip had no desire to develop a big man game on the floor. Why Flip just refused to move Jamison to the three and let Blatche play the four with Haywood and McGee at the five is unforgiveable.

Flip showed a severe unwillingness to play young inexperienced talent and to much undeserved support for veterans to the detriment of a winning team concept.

We were loosing and yet he was coaching like we were winners.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 20, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Larry,

I was going to write a detailed response to your post, but I decided it really wasn't worth my time. You're ridiculous. Good-bye.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Mel Thunk; Collective brilliance = 44 wins and 119 loses last two years with Eddie Tapscott and Flip Saunders, oh yeah we're pretty smart all right, LMAO!!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 20, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"I hope they at least give the Wall/Arenas backcourt a chance before trading him."

The more I hear from all of the so-called "experts" the more I am convinced that Gil is going to be traded.

Why?

All of those very same people keep saying they would not want Gil to "mess up" Wall in any way, shape, or form. That he would be a bad influence on Wall.

Then you listen to Ted...he CLEARLY wants to rebuild through the draft, aka Caps.

I honestly do not believe they are going to sign any of those top FA guys this year, and maybe wait and see what happens next year after next years draft.

Don't be surprised if the Wiz move another body or two, starting with Gil.

"It is a good thing that John Wall understands. It appears that he has learned something that Allen Iverson never wanted to accept."

So far I have liked everything that comes out of Wall's mouth. It also tells me that Wall has good people around him, something Iverson never had. I could care less about the braids and tattoos, I am more impressed with Wall's attitude.

Seems like a real good kid.

Another reason to keep Gil away from him, lol! ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 20, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"I love how people are predicting that top tier players will bolt from their already playoff/contending caliber teams to play with a guy who hasn't even played a nanosecond of NBA basketball."

Lebron had that very same effect on the NBA. If you are on a team and you think you can't win, why not come to DC and make king's ransome???

I think Lebron has already made up his mind that he is leaving Cleveland. I would be more surprised if he stays at this point.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 20, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Lebron had that very same effect on the NBA."

Really? And how many A-list FAs left proven playoff caliber teams to join the Cavs in Lebron's 1st season? Hell, how many did it in his 2nd through 7th seasons?

"If you are on a team and you think you can't win, why not come to DC and make king's ransome???"

Because, given that Wall hasn't played a single moment of NBA ball and that he's joining a team that won 23 games last season, as of this moment, there's no good reason to think the Wizards can win anything either, at least not any time soon.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@dargregmag,

Again, I realize reading comprehension isn't your thing, but I said Leonsis, Grunfeld and Saunders.

As pointed out to you by too many others to mention all of them here, never forget that Ernest Grunfeld is the only GM who has made Eddie Jordan a winning head coach. NO ONE else has had the ingenuity and inventiveness to accomplish that feat. Dig?

You were wrong about Grunfeld and Saunders being fired and you were wrong about Jordan being a good coach. Does that mean you're just flat out wrong?

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Knicks won 29 games, the nets won 12....so why are they constantly talked about as James' destinations when there is no more indication they can contend quickly than the wizards could?

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Because both are essentially in NYC, the NBA's biggest market (or maybe a close 2nd to LA), a city which LBJ has expressed some affinity for. And NJ also because of LeBron's buddy Jay-Z being a part owner.

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 20, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

Why do you try to rationalize with an irrational person?

This is the same person who picks apart someone’s post without reading all of it and then complains when other people do it?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 20, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute...you claimed Ernie was just listening to Abe while he was the Wizards GM, so if you are willing to give him a pass on all of the mistakes he's made, how can you give him credit for the one good move Ernie made?

Abe must have told Ernie to draft AB?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 20, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

If Ted comes-in and makes NO-changes in FO personnel, then I will be extremely disappointed. At a minimum ED Tapscott "Director of Player Development" should be fired.

Oh! Larry from Clinton is right about Flip. Flip was a terrible coach last year even considering the turmoil....but we are stuck with him also. I can't imagine how a "vets" coach like Saunders, is going to handle coaching a team of young players.

Posted by: closg | May 20, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't mean just any pg. When Sixers let Miller go, they expected Lou Williams to take his place, but last season's PG's play is generally considered the reason why Sixers regressed (and the coching too, sorry to say that about EJ)." - sagaliba

Personally, I think it was mostly coaching and nothing good at the 4 and 5 spots. Williams is solid. As is Holiday. But yes, neither one is Arenas nor Wall.

"Not even Turner (#2) plus either Speights or Thaddeus Young? (I didn't say trdes #1 stright up, but swapping #1 with #2 + a good young player.)" - sagaliba

I still wouldn't make the trade. Wall, besides being gifted with talent, is also a smart player, a magnetic personality, a hard worker with clear passion, and a leader. Those are traits that you don't always get in players. Arenas has a lot of those assets, but one he lacks is leadership, or even a desire to lead.

If Philly wants to upgrade at PG that much, I say we offer them Arenas. I'd take Igoudala and Dalembert, or Brand, Dalembert and the second pick. They can get themselves out of luxury tax range for next season that way too, but if they're smart, they'll keep their pick.

Posted by: segastyle | May 20, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 20, 2010 1:47 PM

What's half-full about the Knicks? Their cap space and that's it.

And the Nets won 12 games! Sure Lopez looks like a nice player, but the rest of their roster is a 12 win team

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@bulletsfan78,

There's no credit to be given for hiring Eddie Jordan. His pre-Wiz and post-Wiz record provide all the evidence needed on that score. With the players Ernest assembled and the point at which those players were in their careers, I dare say even YOU, Mr. B. F. 78, could have led them to the playoffs. We could have accomplished so much more with a good coach, imho.

The decision to draft the second-round gem Blatche rests squarely with Ernest Grunfeld, for better or for worse. The final verdict will be given this season, but I must add that early polls from the jury indicate he just might be a player than can help this franchise far beyond what his draft position would have indicated.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Something was bugging Bron during the playoffs, general feeling is that he was mentally distracted. Doesn't sound like a guy that's exactly content where he's at.

If Bron is looking for a new team, somebody's got to explain why NJ and the Knicks seem like such idea places to go.

The Wiz have a great player coming back that loves to be second fiddle, a solid young core, and Wall.

If Wall and Bron start talking and Bron's people approach Leonsis, does Leonsis turn away a two time MVP and say, "you know I'd really like to wait a few more years before going to the playoffs"...

Larry, I answered you on the last post...

Kal, boy it must be so really nice to be as smart as you are. I mean really, I'm just blown away impressed. In awe really.

Are you that guy that they made the beer commercial about? You know, "The most interesting man in the world". You can tell us, don't be shy...We all love you, really.

It's got to be you.

Edit that, you dum Sum a Bich...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | May 20, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

But, the passing on a good draft pick and Blair was Abe's fault?

How convenient!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 20, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@bull

The Wizards got a substantial amount of cash for that second round pick. Does that clear things up for you in terms of who would be motivated to move it?

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

What's half-full about the Knicks? Their cap space and that's it.

Posted by: divi3

That is my point.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 20, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"because most people look at the Knicks and Nets like the glass is half full, while looking at the Wizards like the glass as half empty.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 20, 2010 1:47 PM"

Not anymore.

Posted by: psps23 | May 20, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

There's no doubt Bron will flirt with DC even if only to up the ante everywhere else....but it is interesting to note that he "wrote" a blurb for Leonsis' book. There must be some relationship there already, so who knows...

But again, I'm not even saying we should be trying to sign him. Just that DC and the Wiz represent a legit destination

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

This event is a lot of fun and a lot of good food, and it's for a good cause.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 20, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"The Wiz have a great player coming back that loves to be second fiddle"

That's a stretch.

Second fiddle in the locker room, yes.

On the court, that's a different story. Unless this past year has truly changed his outlook on the game (and maybe it has), I can't see Arenas playing second fiddle to anyone on the court. He's shown in the past his petulant side with refusing to shoot in select games because of criticisms from his coach, teammates, and the media.

More than anything (even more than regaining his old form) I just hope that Arenas can become a good second-tier teammate to our #1 pick, let alone any other "star" player we may luck into drawing to DC.

Posted by: psps23 | May 20, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv

The main appeal of the Knicks is NYC and MSG. They do have enough cap space to bring in another max player aside from Bron (the Wiz do not at the moment)

The appealing parts of the Nets are that they will be in NYC in a couple of years, have a new billionaire owner with global marketing connections, have some nice pieces in Devin Harrs and Brook Lopez, a pick that will be either Turner or Favors, and some nice side pieces in Courtney Lee and CDR. Oh and Jay-Z.

The other side of the Wiz argument is that they have a great player who hasn't made it through a season in three years for a variety of reasons and the young core is only partially proven. I'm not saying that it's the complete picture, but neither is the one you painted.

If the stories of Bron's influence in Cleveland are true, as well as the stories about Bron, Calipari and World Wide Wes, then if you are Leonsis, yes, you turn away the two-time MVP. At least if you are interested in running your own team, instead of having to pay big bucks for whatever other players tickle Bron's fancy.

Posted by: ts35 | May 20, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"Kal, boy it must be so really nice to be as smart as you are."

It's a blessing and a curse. I'd try to explain it to you, but it would probably just make your wee widdle head hurt.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 20, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"Perhaps, but I would be stunned (and very happy) if either James, Wade, Bosh or Joe Johnson signed here. There are just other teams that have a lot of cap room and would seem to be a more attractive destination than Washington (Chicago, for example)."

Agreed. On a pure bottom line/win-loss basis, it's true there's not a lot of apparent difference to be found between Washington and the other two. but much of the talk about NY was based around the whole idea of the history and mystique of the franchise, the building, and the city which does seem to be something that Lebron has some degree of interest in. Much of the NJ talk (and NJ has been a lot further down on the gossip scale than NY in this whole thing) is centered about Jay-Z and the fact that the team is moving to Brooklyn. The fact that they also have two star potential players at PG and C doesn't hurt.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is that all of the Wizards hopes are being pinned on what are essentially two currently blank spaces: One to be filled by John Wall and one to be filled by one or more FAs. Those are some pretty big holes on a team coming off a 23 win season (esp. given the expectations going into the season). It just seems highly unrealistic and to imagine a guy leaving a team that's made it to the Finals twice in the past 3 years would gravitate towards a situation like that, if winning really matters to him. There needs to be something concrete for him to hook into to, and the Wiz don't really have anything like that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

So when it's mentioned that the city of DC itself has some appeal these days, that's dismissed as irrelevant to contending immediately which is what all these FAs are really looking for.

Dont see the logic in that.

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: melodious_thunk | May 20, 2010 2:29 PM

If the Wiz had made the playoffs under coach 78, then there wouldn't be any question about giving Ernie a raise?

Posted by: Firuz1 | May 20, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"So when it's mentioned that the city of DC itself has some appeal these days"

DC's a great place to live, but it's not NYC. That's just a basic fact. If Lebron is looking for the bright lights, big city appeal, NYC wins that battle pretty much every time. And in terms of basketball, neither the city nor the franchise in DC have the kind of history or mystique that NY does. So if that matters to him 9and people who claim to know say it does) then NYC wins out.

"But when it's pointed out that the Wiz can contend just as fast as some of the other teams with CAP room, then suddenly the appeal of cities such as Chicago and NY shuts DC out."

Except there's no evidence to support that theory, is there? Again, what pieces to the Wiz currently have in place that one could legitimately say would play a major role towards contending in the very near future? None that I can see, and that includes Wall because (A) he's not here yet and (B) despite all the hype, there's no guarantee he'll be "the franchise" many seem to think he will. He wouldn't be the first high draft pick to disappoint.

Conversely Chicago and NJ (although I personally think the odds of James going to NJ are slim at best) both have proven high-level NBA players (including some All-Star cred) at the two most vital positions, plus they have tons of cap room (and NJ also has the #3 pick). No matter how you slice it, they've got more assets than the Wizards do right now.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps it's because I only see him when he's being schooled by Blatche, but Lopez isnt THAT impressive. 12 wins!

this isnt just about lebron either, it's about the whole FA class. Point being, at the depths of the gun scandal and uncertain ownership it rightly looked like no FA would want to sign here.

But with Ted in charge, CAP room, no more AJ/BTH/CB, and the #1 pick....the franchise no longer looks like an unmitigated disaster and there's no reason the wiz cant land a big name FA if they choose to attempt it.

personally, I lean towards not wanting them to make a big move this offseason though

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Flip thinks Wall and Arenas can play in the same backcourt.

Posted by: and_1 | May 20, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"No matter how you slice it, they've got more assets than the Wizards do right now."

Chicago, yes. Absolutely.

NJ?

Devin Harris vs. Gilbert Arenas

Brook Lopez vs. Andray Blatche

#3 pick vs. #1 pick

Cap space vs. Cap space

Plus the Wizards have an extra first-rounder in this draft.

I wouldn't say it's so cut and dried. On the level of talent currently on the roster, they're pretty darn close. The Wizards were the better team last season, they have the better draft picks this season, they have cap space, and both have new owners committed to winning.

Outside of Chicago, I'd say the DC is right up there with NY and NJ in terms of franchise potential for guys looking at teams.

Posted by: psps23 | May 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

If Lebron wants the teams most capable of winning in the playoffs the soonest, he'll choose Chicago, Cleveland, or Miami. If he wants the biggest markets he'll choose NY, Chicago, Miami. If he wants the most input into team management, he'll go to Cleveland, NJ, LAC, NY.

DC doesn't fall into the top 3 of any of those categories. It's never been a big free agent destination, though that might change with Leonsis at the helm. Even though we landed Arenas that way, Jamison, Butler, Weber....all from trades.

Posted by: segastyle | May 20, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The Nets aren't in New York City yet either.

LeBron's supposed clamor to play on a vagabond team waiting for a new home.

Would anyone trade the Number One Pick straight up for Lopez, for Devin Harris?

See Magic's assessment of Wall, Wall was to be THE reason the Nets thought they might have an edge over the Knicks, that went up in smoke...

Ted Leonsis vs. the Russian. I'd give the Edge to Ted.

I still think it's less then likely that LeBron would choose Washington, but Wall changes a lot of equations. The guy's game has a ways to go. Still a shaky shooter, but he's a seriously good point, better right now then anything LeBron's been paired with.

And LeBron just got schooled in how no matter how good you are, in today's NBA with the current rules, if you get beat at point, you get beat. Points are ruling this league.

And right now Wall's better then any point he'll find waiting in NY, or Jersey...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | May 20, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Dang...all I can say is kalo must be off his meds again.

And Larry's posts are so long, a new thread starts before I can finish reading them.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | May 20, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

The reason LeBron and other A list free agents will not be coming to DC this year is that Gilbert Arenas is the other star on the team. Banking the next several years on him is a HUGE GAMBLE.

In most of these situations, you find a pairing of Bosh, JJohnson, LeBron, DWade. Coming to Washington means that your sidekick is Arenas instead of DWade or Bosh. Why would LeBron do that?

Until Arenas recovers his reputation and proves he can still play OR we unload him we aren't going to get an A-List guy. I'm sure we can attract a couple second tier guys and surround Wall with some guys who can play, but we aren't getting a top tier guy until next offseason. We need to do everything we can to make our team attractive to Melo and Durant. The biggest part of that is proving that Arenas can be a valuable teammate or shipping out Arenas to bring in more pieces.

Posted by: jon_quest | May 20, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

"Devin Harris vs. Gilbert Arenas"

At best it's a draw. The fact that Harris is younger and that Arenas is coming off the better part of three seasons of inactivity, an injury, and a legal scandal sort of swings it in Harris's court.

"Brook Lopez vs. Andray Blatche"

This one isn't even close. Lopez is a legit low post scoring, passing, defending NBA C. Blatche is an overdribbling, jumpshooting, non-power forward (which NJ also has one of).

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"See Magic's assessment of Wall . . . "

See Jordan's assessment of Kwame or Dumars' assessment of Darko. Even HoF players get it wrong sometimes.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 20, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"Blatche is an overdribbling, jumpshooting, non-power forward (which NJ also has one of)"....who schooled the NJ frontline everytime he stepped onto the court with them this year. Seriously, career nights for AB whenever he's matched up against Lopez (or Yi Flim-flam). And that includes making defensive plays against Lopez (after Mcgee has jumped into the next timezone).

Strange how it actually plays out on court, for a comparison that's "not even close" isnt it?

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

AB post trade:

22pts/48%/8.3rebs/3.6assts/1.6stls

Lopez:

18.8pts/49fg%/8.6rebs/2.3assts/1.7blks

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Blatche really came on after he became the starter, but I think most of the league's GMs would still give the edge in value to Lopez. Two main reasons: he's a legitimate low-post center (a bit taller than McGee, though not quite as long), and he's a very effective offensive player and a passable defender.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 20, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Wizards are going to use their number one draft pick to select John Wall, the freshman point guard out of the University of Kentucky. They see Wall as the cornerstone of the franchise for at least "the next decade", which is why they are going to do everything in their power to prevent the player from ever sharing a locker room with controversial guard Gilbert Arenas, according to two league sources with knowledge of the team's future the Washington Wizards for over ten years.

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | May 20, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | May 20, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Likewise, I think most coaches would prefer Devin Harris to Gilbert. Not because he's a better offensive player -- he isn't -- but because you get good to very good on-ball defense (I recall how happy Tony Parker was when Dallas traded him) plus superior penetration. Plus Gilbert has a bit of baggage he's carrying around, and it's not just to do with his knees...

Posted by: Samson151 | May 20, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Evan Turner thinks he's a better fit for Arenas and the Wizards.

Posted by: and_1 | May 20, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Wall-Arenas could be a fun combo to watch.

Don't forget Wall-McGee too.

McGee may have some things he needs to work, but running the floor in transition isn't one of them.

Posted by: JPRS | May 20, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

"Blatche really came on after he became the starter, but I think most of the league's GMs would still give the edge in value to Lopez."

I agree with that, but the idea that "it's not even close" between the two doesnt hold water imho. Especially not when Lopez does his thing on the single worst team in the nba, exactly the factor people use to dismiss ABs improvement.

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

'One source tagged Arenas as "the reason why a core of players that reached the playoffs" on multiple occasions had to be broken up, "and it was entirely due to what he did. He poisoned the team. He is a cancer."'

Given the way AJ, CB, and BTH performed in this year's postseason, I'll go ahead and say "thanks Gil" for getting that core broken up.

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I can see Labron going to Dallas for the chance to play with Dirk and a good chance for a championship.
I can see him going to New York for a chance to play under the Bright Bright Lights.
Why would he go anywhere else?
Cleveland is really his best option if he wants to win it all. (All he has to do is watch Kobe & his boys.)Anywhere else is a 2-3 year project if he's lucky.

Posted by: VBFan | May 20, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Flip thinks Wall and Arenas can play in the same backcourt.

Posted by: and_1 | May 20, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

and_1

Flip also thought last years team could make the playoffs so that makes him about as right as kal when it comes to the Wizards?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 20, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | May 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

--------------

I'd postulate that Leborn's first desire is fame. Winning is a desire only because it's a means to attain fame. I don't think he showed much fire or desire in the last two games against the celtics. Once his fame is significantly diminished by not winning a title, then he will really commit to winning a championship.

Statements that are all unverifiable, i know.

Posted by: crs-1 | May 20, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I keep forgetting to mention the real reason the Nets keep coming up in LeBron discussions: Mikhail Prokhorov. He's worth 13.4 billion dollars. Much of it is in gold.

He's the richest man in Russia, ALALAHDPOP (at least as long as he doesn't piss off Putin).

Posted by: Samson151 | May 20, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

It isn't close. Every GM would take Lopez over Blatche. A lot of people think Blatche's numbers came from being on a bad team, while Lopez's sophmore slump was do in part because he was on a bad team. The Nets primary concern this season was dumping payroll, and this had a negative effect on the team. Lopez was visibly frustrated by the losing. Blatche on the other hand was "dialing it up" with Nick Young and talking about being underpaid.

Posted by: djnnnou | May 20, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I can't see how Wall and Gilby coexist in the backcourt.

Both dudes need the ball....and Gilby is probably not the player he once was with a max money contract hanging over his head.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 20, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

WoWie

The Wiz need John Wall! Incredible we have a chance to draft him.

I don't understand hate for A. Blatche. He's young and has improved every year.

Posted by: Vicc | May 20, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Rudy Gay a FA?

He'd be a good get!

Posted by: Vicc | May 20, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

If they draft Wall, it'll be interesting to see how he plays with AB.

Both dudes are great passers/court awareness, and with that, I'd imagine JaTravel is going to get a lot of dunks.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 20, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I hope we keep McGee. He has potential, especially on the defensive end.

No one saw Ben Wallace coming either.

Posted by: Vicc | May 20, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

GM,

I went back and read your assessment to my response about Flip and I am in agreeance. Your points are quite valid and also further magnifies why I feel that coaching is so important.

You know of course up in Boston, when Garnett and Allen and Pierce became the Big three, they comprimised their games and their play for the good of the team concept.

Did they decide to do that themselves or was it a combination of coaching, or not, or both that made them realize the three of them had to play differently than they had in the past to win a Championship.

Jamison and Butler did not realize this or thought erroneously that they did not need to do anything different, or maybe as you point out were incapable.

In any event, this is were coaching is important and where Flip should have stepped in.

However, your point is well taken, but you know as well as I, that in order to be a champion you just can't settle on the status quo, whether you are the player or the coach.

Is John Wall a ball hog to you and do you think thay we should give he and Gilbert a chance together?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 20, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

"Seriously, career nights for AB whenever he's matched up against Lopez (or Yi Flim-flam). And that includes making defensive plays against Lopez (after Mcgee has jumped into the next timezone).

The only thing that's strange is that you actually thought that piece of fluff would hold up to scrutiny.

I love how you put Yi's name in parentheses as if he's an insignificant side issue. The reality is that when the Wiz played the Nets, Blatche spent little time matched up against Lopez because Flip rarely played Blatche at C. Hell, down the stretch James Singeton logged more minutes at C than Blatche. Most of Blatche's time on the floor was spent matched up against Yi (or whoever was playing PF). As for "making defensive making defensive plays against Lopez (after Mcgee has jumped into the next timezone) . . . " Big whoop. John Starks once dunked on Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. Didn't make him better than them.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 21, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

"A lot of people think Blatche's numbers came from being on a bad team, while Lopez's sophmore slump was do in part because he was on a bad team."

What "sophomore slump"? His numbers across the board were mostly as good or better than last season. His only real drop was a slight dip in FG%, but that was mostly due to defenses keying more on stopping him as the main guy, esp. with Harris either being out with injury and playing at reduced effectiveness because of injury for a part of the season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 21, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert's a bad influence on young players. If they're going to draft a young guy like Wall, I'd like to see Gilbert gone so his approach to the game doesn't rub off. I don't care what they get for Gilbert, it won't be a remotely fair trade "talent-wise." A small bag of chips would do just fine. Just get him out of town.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | May 21, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: shovetheplanet | May 21, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse "

With the gun situation...I totally agree.

Hazing is part of sports, but not to this ridiculous extreme.

Someone at Gilby's "level," where he's talented, but hasn't accomplished anything...I don't see him being any mentor of any sort....esp for a felon.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 21, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

"But GM, I have a question. Some say that Wall and Gill can't coexist because they both need the ball. I disagree. I saw a Wall that ran ball in an UpTemPo sytle and he made good precise quick decisions with the ball.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 20, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse "

I think you confuse yourself.

What does Wall/Gilby not being able to coexist have anything to do with you seeing one game where Wall made good passes.

Remind yourself that one can only make a pass if he has the ball in his hands.

Which goes back to your original question about coexisting, which means Gilby would have to give up the ball handling/PG duties.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | May 21, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | May 21, 2010 1:45 AM

Are you sure you watched those games? The comment about Mcgee was not a compliment, it was pointing out the fact he was often way out of position after leaping for a block.

AB was matched directly on Lopez plenty this season, and he defended him well while taking him took school on offense. Maybe it's just having a guy's number for a span...but Blatche was superior to Lopez every game they played this year. Not that Lopez didnt play well, but it was ABs play that dictated those games.

Posted by: divi3 | May 21, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

"A lot of people think Blatche's numbers came from being on a bad team, while Lopez's sophmore slump was do in part because he was on a bad team"

Who thinks that exactly, other than wizards fans who dont like AB?

Cant have it both ways, if ABs play is suspect because the team sucked then the same goes for Lopez who was on an even worse team.

imo, neither guy's play is suspect and both have shown themselves capable of all-star level play.

Posted by: divi3 | May 21, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Some of us badly convinced by the deplomatic statements of EG,FS and Ted about the futurity of Arenas.There is no way he will get a chance to be back in that locker room where his old sheet is still stinking.If EG retain arenas he will be in washington for only a single season, he is not stupid to do that.It is just hard to think that any ball club will take him this season, if washington is willing to pay 5 million per year for the next 4 years and involve him in a trade,there will be a high chance to get a good player.
1/ Orlando's spare center and or Bass if orlando wll like to take him for 15 million a year.
2/a deal with Golden state might help us to get the 6th pick and an expiring contract.I do not like montana Elis's game.
3/New york ,will be despirate this year.They might sign bosh and /or joe johnson but will still win 36 games at most, if they add Arenas they will be in play off.however ,no young player that could help us except David Lee is avaliable in that roster.
4/Atlanta, if they do not sign joe johanson who is probably going to NY to be paired with Bosh,they might be in need of a point gard,i will take their defensive minded small forward with 2 1st round picks(one for next season)
5/memphis, the 1st pick and Gassol would be perfect for us.
we paid 5 million a year for 3 seasons for JS when we get jamison,noting will stop us to do it again to leave every thing behind and go forward.

Posted by: gtefferra | May 21, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Whatever positive the wizards have accomplished during his tenure with the wizards is because of Gilbert compared to all other wizards. Jamison, Hughes, Butler and any other Wizard played a smaller role and benefitted from playing with Gilbert. Let me know when you have heard otherwise. The downfall of the "Big 3" started with the knee problem. Before the knee problem, there was real excitement and capacity crowds.

Yes Gilbert has been quirky and did something extremely stupid, and is in the process of paying for his stupidity. Whether or not he plays a minute more as a Wizard doesn't matter. A lot of people act like they aren't satisfied with the judge, commissioner, and anyone else who have had a decision about Gilberts career.

You want to say that Gilbert can't mentor people. And that he hasn't accomplished anything, but I bet you DC-Man, that he has accomplished more than you AND started from less than you.

And I taught my kids to be man or woman enough to stand alone, not follow anybody when that person is acting in a manner they shouldn't. If Nick, Blatche, John Wall or anyone else is not man enough to not follow the quirky/immaturity of Gil, that's on them, not Gil. Cause for damn sure, Nick and Blatche should have been following his work ethic a long time ago. But you don't want to acknowledge anything positive.

But, DC-Man, a lot of people in this blog view you as quirky and stupid too, and you show yourself pretty much on a daily basis. Look in your own mirror and see what you see.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 21, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

the problem with those scenarios is they assume the other teams still see Arenas as a guy who can be a large factor in them winning.

When in reality, there is no way Memphis (for example) is going to move a young, promising 7footer with pedigree (on a rookie deal) for $60-$80mill of Gil's contract.

Gil has to show the league he's still a fairly elite player before anyone will consider taking him, and the only way that happens is with Arenas playing a large role for the team next season.

And who knows, maybe Leonsis' ultra-positivity is infectious and mends fences between Arenas and EG

Posted by: divi3 | May 21, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

About Blatche's numbers: if you recall, Saunders made the point during their flap that 60% of the plays were run through Andray. He was really their only effective offensive option for a stretch of games in the wake of the trades. That no doubt contributed to the jump in his personal stats. People started talking about AB for most improved player. Once opponents went to double-teams, the team went on that extended losing streak. Near the end of the season it appeared they regrouped and pulled off a few nice wins -- not that you can tell much from end-of-season victories over teams that are playing out the string.

All this makes it hard to predict Andray's start next season. Unless Gilbert comes back strong, or Howard or somebody else surprises, Blatche will still have to carry most of the offensive load.

Wall's a terrific addition, but he's not going to be the primary scorer.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 21, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

True, but the problem is that they haven't accomplished very much. Talk about damning with faint praise . . .

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 21, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If Wall is anything like he's cracked up to be...he's going to make the game easier for everybody. He definitely has that innate vision to where he is still seeing open teammates as he closes in on the rim. The few times saw him play this year, was impressed how often he dropped dimes while in the paint.

Posted by: divi3 | May 21, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

how much of that we'll see in his rookie season as a 19yr old, is another matter entirely though

Posted by: divi3 | May 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Larry,
The guys that think Gil can't play with Wall have either very short memories, or don't really know what they're watching.

Larry was never the point that Wall will be, but when Larry and Gil played together Larry was often the primary ball handler, and Gil ran off the ball quite a bit. When Larry left, Gil did the same thing when Daniels came off the bench. In most games at crunch time, Gil was running off the ball and Daniels set the play.

Like "Young Larry", Wall is a good defender who has decent size so he can switch and play either guard leaving Arenas to play the prefered matchup.

Arenas was the one of the big three who had adapted to Flip and despite the assertions of certain brain dead posters had come back and proven he could play well despite the injury layoff.

The only part of has game that was somewhat slow to come around was his shooting. No matter how many jump shoots you take in practice and how much you run, it takes awhile to get you game legs under you. First thing the lack of game legs effect is shooting. Gil will get his legs back.

One more thing about Gil, right now the rumors flying around NY involves the Knicks making a play for Gil. Why? To enhance their team to make a play for Lebron.

So lets see the Wiz have Gil and Wall(or Turner), the Knicks want to add Gil to the cap room for a second FA to lure LeBron. Hmmm....

Edit away Dumwit....
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | May 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

You want to say that Gilbert can't mentor people.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 21, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Didn't he take Nick Young under his wing and showed him to play his own type of game despite of what the coach and/or what is good for the team?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 21, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 21, 2010 8:47 AM

Nick didnt wear his pants the way Flip likes, so wasn't allowed to play.

Posted by: divi3 | May 21, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

flohrtv

The only problem I have with the Gil/Wall combo is who is going to guard guys like Ray Allen, Kobe, VC and the other scoring 2 guards in the league?

If it's gil then those guys are going to have career nights, if it's Wall that's a lot of pressue to put on a rookie and he will be warn out to be really effective as a point guard.

If the Wizards go forward with Gil/Wall I would like to see them either draft or sign a defensive minded guard who could play with them like Tony Allen does for Boston.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 21, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

my problem with the Gil/Wall combo is that Wall should have the ball in his hands the majority of the time (why else do you draft a pg #1 overall?)....and I dont see how that's possible given the way Gil plays. Yes, sometimes Daniels had the ball or Larry....but Gil's MO has been dominating the rock, and was last season as well.

Posted by: divi3 | May 21, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

rbPalmer> True, but the problem is that they haven't accomplished very much.

Did Gil EVER play as a healthy Wizard with a legitimate big man? How far did you think those teams would go?

bulletsfan78>

Again, Nick Young is a grown man and as a man, he should make some choices on his own. Again, did Nick develop the work ethic of Gil? Also, where was the captain if that is the case? See, a lot of people play pranks in the locker room. I didn't know Gil started that phenom. I don't recall Gil not showing up to play though.

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 21, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Surround Blatche with good players and, while his numbers may not be eye-popping, I'll bet his FG% and assists numbers go up. He seems like he can be a pretty efficient post player with some talent around him and its undeniable that he's a willing passer (spare me the "Yeah, to the opponent!" comments).
Blatche becomes a right and proper threat this year, imho.

Posted by: and_1 | May 21, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

This may be completely fanciful, but it's an interesting take on the LeBron quest:

"Forbes national editor Michael K. Ozanian thinks the New York Knicks have the best shot of signing James because he can buy shares of Madison Square Garden stock. Ozanian wrote on Forbes.com: "They cannot pay James with MSG stock because it would violate the league's collective bargaining agreement. But there is nothing to stop James from buying shares of MSG with his money. This would allow James to in essence work for himself and capture the upside in revenue from higher ratings on the MSG [network], a soon-to-be renovated Madison Square Garden and much higher profits he will bring to these platforms."

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

As for mentoring people, most young people don't "HEAR YOU" unless they know you have been thru things similar. Example: Did they "HEAR" Jamison?

Gil has the ability to be "heard" because he can tell them "Don't f--k up like I did!".

Posted by: G-Man11 | May 21, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

1st pick? Nice.

I'm a little more comfortable with the Wall/Gil backcourt defensively because Gil (hopefully) won't be guarding PG's. Problem was penetration breaking down the defense. I'd much rather have someone shooting over Gil than driving around him and getting into the paint.

I hate the "who is going to guard Kobe" question. NOBODY. Period.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | May 21, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Gil's most dynamic pairing came when he rejoined a young Larry Hughes here in DC. If you take a look at young Larry's game(he plays nothing like that now)he was a guy with that quick first move to the basket, a guy that you had to always respect and overplay on the drive."

Larry Hughes was a classic ball-handling, passing PG when he first came out of college -- the sort who didn't really want to take the outside shot. That fit well with Arenas, obviously. He was also a bigger, long-armed defender who could cover the sort of players who take advantage of Gil. But Arenas was a different player then, too. He was known for going to the basket and drawing defenders to him, which opened things up for other shooters. Of the two, GA had the better first step, and was definitely the superior shot creator.

But Arenas is a different player now. He's lost some of his ability to create his own shot. He looks to pass for scores that he once would have made on isolation plays. Wall is probably much the better penetrator at this point, which would leave Gil outside looking for the 3 pointer.

So how's his outside shooting? 34.8% in 32 games last season. That's actually only a percentage point below his career average (encouraging after a 2 season layoff). Gil doesn't mind the 3 pointer (he used to take close to 40% of his shots from out there) but he's never been a spot-up shooter. Playing alongside Wall, it would benefit him to learn. Whether he does or not, who can predict?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff GM.

Especially after seeing Gilbert with the ball this year, it was obvious to me that Gilbert should not be the primary ball handler.

That isn't to say that Gilbert can't be as effective as he once was, I just felt that his scoring attacking game conflicted with the point role.

The point role sets the tempo and the offense and gets the whole team involved.

Why a Wall or a Livingston, and why Hughes as you pointed out would and did work with Gilbert is all about tempo.

The right tempo puts the whole team in play. It means everything. I think that is what folks miss or don't understand.

And BulletsFan78, the defense of Gilbert is important, but he can handle the two position quite well.

Lest you forget 6'4" ain't really a NBA midget and he will be the best two on the court on most nights.

Those premier two guards you name will not be playing against Gilbert every night. But lo and behold my good fellow that Gilbert gets hot against one of them and drops 60 on them in there own Gym. You know the game.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | May 21, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

sooooooooooooooo about those Celtics..........

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 21, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

sooooooooooooooo about those Celtics..........

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | May 21, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

What about em? I gave my opinion.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | May 21, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Heard this on the radio. I'm sure MSG stock will get a little movement today just hearing it. I wonder if David Stern will (or can) have anything to say about this, because it deliberately circumvents league rules on compensation.

Posted by: ts35 | May 21, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

You're kidding, right?

I mostly agree with the rest of what you said in that post, but not sure where you pulled that bit above from.

Posted by: ts35 | May 21, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Gil is damaged goods in every possible way...multiple knee surgeries, mental instability, convicted felon...and yet some on here want him to be John Wall's running mate. Because the last three years were not painful enough for you? Maybe Gil would be the perfect Robin to Wall's Batman...did you have a head injury? I don’t want Gil to be on the same court with Wall unless he is wearing a different uniform and watching Wall slice by him play after play after play…..

Gil would be completely freaked out after watching Wall literally run circles around him in practice...I do not trust Gil to be on the same court with Wall.

Get rid of Arenas for any expiring deal we can be out of in a year or two tops...don't care for who...goal here is not to acquire critical piece but remove virus from team. Gil hasn't even talked to Ernie and you just know he has just been stewing the whole time...

By getting rid of Gil and handing the keys to John Wall we can then approach Livingston with an attractive offer. Nice 3-4 year deal as backup to Wall, so he does not have to kill his knee doing 40 min but has an NBA career with a team on the rise. Would then take Vasquez in late 2nd round, point guard position then nailed up for the next 6-8 years.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | May 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows

Don't think Livingston is interested in being a backup, unless no better offer materializes. I also think, based somewhat on his comments, that if he's going to be a backup, he'd like to be on a team that's already a playoff team.

In terms of Gil, I think we've already seen his MO. He won't have a problem with Wall, in fact he will do his best to become Wall's best friend on the team. Buddy him up to make sure Wall is on his side. And also just for basketball reasons. Whatever else he is, Arenas is a gym-rat, so I'm sure he'd try to get Wall going with him. Parts of it could be good for Wall, as long as he could insulate himself from a lot of the odder parts of Gil. Having Wall in DC, I think will drive Gil even harder to re-prove himself. Which has an upside for the Wiz, and a real big downside too.

Posted by: ts35 | May 21, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

ts35,
Does it concern you at all that Gil must be the center of attention at all times? I personally see him being terribly threatened by Wall...would he be willing to support Wall and say this kid is the future of this team? I can't see it.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | May 21, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

ts35,

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows

Yes, of course. What I was trying to indicate is that Gil would buddy up to Wall for his own self-interest as much as anything.

There are two sides to Gil though. There is the whacked-out knucklehead side and there is the dedicated basketball side, the one who spends a lot of time in the gym working on his game -- sadly only the offensive part as far as I know.

So I'm sure the basketball part of Gil would do some things to support and help Wall. But I do also fear that those things would be overwhelmed by the knuckleheaded side.

I know Blatche has made some strides with his maturity issues, but let's just say that Gil and AB are not ideal companions for a 19 year old.

Fortunately at least so far, Wall seems to have a good sense of perspective on the whole thing and is seeking to do the right things (whether it's just for marketing purposes, like LeBron does, remains to be seen).

Posted by: ts35 | May 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Agree with all said, there may be some potential gain but I don't like the risk based on the history.

Gil is a formidable roller coaster... it was fun at first but now my stomach is constantly churning and I just want to get off.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | May 21, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

No doubt. You know it's gone a bit too far down the path, when the prospect of trading Gil for Eddy Curry makes about half of the people on this blog go "The Wiz should jump on that deal!"

I'm not one of those people who hates Gil, I actually hope he can turn things in the right direction. I agree with Leonsis that there are things to like about him. I just agree with what you essentially said, that it is a risk to have him around a young, rebuilding team.

Posted by: ts35 | May 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Guy who is apparently making a complete azz of himself in the Combine interviews: DeMarcus Cousins.

Guys who appear to be hurt: Ed Davis (ACL?), Jon Scheyer (mono?), Quincy Pondexter (broken finger).

Dexter Pittman left the Combine because his 16 year old brother was shot in Houston.

Impressive performances on the court: Paul George, SF, Fresno State (six-seven, but only 185); Larry Sanders, PF, VCU (205 but muscled); Lance Stephenson, Cincy, SG (good ball handler); Xavier Henry, SG (6'6", 210 & maybe the draft's best shooter); Devin Ebanks, WVa, 6'8" (just a great athlete).

That's just one day, of course. This is all just drills and interviews, so you don't learn much about players outside of how big they really are. I'm still interested in Derrick Favors' actual height and weight.

We already knew Cousins had personality problems.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Reason I like Xavier Henry is the shooting. Watching him is a lot like watching Stephen Curry. Somehow his release is always close to perfect, even with a defender in his face. Henry is not overwhelmingly quick or athletic, but he's a solidly built 6'6" and like most Kansas players, he expects to guard somebody. As an outside shooter, keep an eye on this guy.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Cousins is a big talent but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him talk himself out of the top 4 by draft time. Favors is maybe a year away but has that huge upside and would look good next to Brook Lopez. The Wolves need a wing player, and that's Wes Johnson or as a longer shot, Aminu. That would put Cousins in Sacramento, playing with another great penetrating PG.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 21, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse