Andray Blatche to miss three months

Andray Blatche is expected to miss the next three months after undergoing successful surgery to repair a fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his right foot, according to a release from the Wizards. Blatche had the procedure performed at Sibley Hospital on Friday night.

Based on the timetable, Blatche won't return to basketball-related activities until late September, which is cutting it close to training camp. Blatche was hoping to get in better shape this offseason to build upon last season, when he averaged career-highs of averaged 14.1 points and 6.3 rebounds.

Blatche has had a few offseason missteps since being drafted 49th overall in 2005. A few weeks before his first training camp as a rookie, Blatche was shot in a botched carjacking attempt. He also was charged with sexual solicitation in the summer of 2007 after requesting sex from an undercover officer. Two years ago, Blatche was arrested for reckless driving and driving on a suspended license for the third time.

By Michael Lee  |  June 25, 2010; 11:02 PM ET
Categories:  Andray Blatche
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andray Blatche breaks his right foot [UPDATED]
Next: John Wall's welcome to D.C.

Comments

Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got somethin to say, but nothin comes out when they move they lips, just a bunch of jibberish n m**** f***** act like they forgot about Dray.

Get well soon.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | June 25, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

WTF

Posted by: PVGtownAz | June 25, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

It's funny last year people were writing how trading the 5th pick for MM and Foye and the return of Gil was going to make the Wizards a playoff team...How did that work out?

How soon people forget how bad of a GM Ernie really is...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

How soon people forget how bad of a GM Ernie really is...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 12:05 AM

But we haven't forgotten how bad your opinions are on the blog...

Posted by: Risa_L | June 26, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Poor Dray. But this could have happened to anybody--from what I've read, this is a very common injury, unfortunately, and not just for NBA players. He can still lift weights and swim or work out in a pool, I would think.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | June 26, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

But we haven't forgotten how bad your opinions are on the blog...

Posted by: Risa_L | June 26, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I fully understand a lot of fans can't handle opinions that are based on facts which disagree with what the organization wants you to believe...

one problem...all of my opinions about the moves Ernie made last year came true?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Rather than give in to all the talk about "the Curse" or how this injury will only serve to give Blatche an excuse to come in out of shape again, I made myself smile by having a peek at the Summer League (also known as NBA sanctioned And-1 Tour) schedule.

Hard to tell what type of young PGs Wall will face (although Darren Collison seems likely), but it looks like the Wizards' young frontcourt additions will get to match-up against the likes of Blake Griffin, Ekpe Udoh, and Craig Brackins. I'm a little disappointed that they aren't schedule to take on the Suns, but they should still have some chances to show their competiveness.

Although I had my issues with the price of adding Trevor Booker, I must admit that the Las Vegas Summer League should suit his game nicely and I fully expect many posters on the blog to COMPLETELY fall in love w/the guy by its conclusion.

I did not love all the choices the Wiz made, but at least I see the logic in each one of their picks and I believe all except for N'diaye will have at least a few head turning moments in Vegas.

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 26, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Did you really need to rehash Dray's "issues" in 2 posts. ? Did he break his foot jumping out of your wife's bedroom window? That would be called news.

"Funny story about Seraphin. I actually met him outside of the hotel, while waiting for a cab a few hours before the draft. I was speaking to French reporter, Pascal Giberne, who introduced us. I had no idea that Seriphan would wind up being a Wizard."
And this is why, along with reading about the bulls trade from 2 other sources first, I question your 'insider' status. He worked out for them & you couldn't be bothered?
Check out the dictionary for the definition of a reporter. That's not "funny",that's odd.

Posted by: plotintelli | June 26, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Ernie is a horrible GM. I don't know who's worse him or the Minn. GM. Kenny Smith called out Minn. GM and said he'll see him in the lottery again next yr. If not for the easy Wall selection Wiz might be back in the lottery. Ernie sucks plain and simple and he can take that sorry coach Flip with him. Flip is the Norv or basketball. They even look a like.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | June 26, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Poor Andre, just when he was on the verge of true NBA stardom, this has to happen.

As fans, we've been through this before, with Kwame's fifth metatarsal surgery. There's not much to say about it.

So let's move on to the summer league team. I'm starting to see reports on the internet about the Wizards signing a bunch of players to the Vegas summer league team. Is the full roster out?

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 26, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Give the kid a break. What's the relevance of the prior incidents to the broken foot? If there's no relevance, why keep rehashing the old stuff?

Posted by: shovetheplanet | June 26, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Besides Booker, who else will be on the summer league team to play pf?

I wonder of Rod Benson is available.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 26, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Three months is hugely optimistic. I once had a similar injury and it took five months before I could run at full speed. It didn't feel truly normal for a full year... and I wasn't putting seven feet of weight on it and banging with NBA power forwards. Pool rehab, daily and for several hours, will be crucial in getting him back for the season.

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 26, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

How soon people forget how bad of a GM Ernie really is...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

This offseason versus last offseason are 2 completely different things.

Last offseason we were being promised a run to the Finals.

This offseason, the FO guys are smart enough to promise nothing. Nothing. And that's the way it should be. This team has a piece to build around, but will likely be back in the lottery next year. No false promises; no snake oil being sold.

This team needs help everywhere? It needs everything and anything to get better.

So what should the Wizards have done this draft? What were the obvious "golden" moves that were gonna put them into the playoffs - I mean apart from packaging the #30 pick and Andray Blatche for Kobe Bryant - what obviously brilliant maneuver did the Wiz fail to pull off??

Posted by: p1funk | June 26, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 26, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

That was it, you nailed it.

Seriously though, why sweat over BLATCHE we-e-e've got BOOOOKER!!!!!!!and SERAPHIN TOO (maybe) Better sign SINGLETON.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 26, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 26, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Other then going out and signing a top FA there is nothing the Wizards could have done in the draft that was going to make them a playoff team...

Instead they pick Kevin Seraphin who is a long shot and then they move up to get Booker who is too small to play PF which is the position he played in college.

Ernie falls in love with guys he thinks can play two different positions...the only problem with that logic is they are only average at either position and championship teams need guys who are studs at their position...

I will go on record like I did last year and say other than Wall this draft was a bust!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Ok, how did this fool break his foot? I hope it didn't happen while he was chasing a prostitute or refusing to go in a game. It's always something with this guy...I just hope the injury occurred while he was "trying to get better." Yeah right!

Posted by: leo25 | June 26, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Blatche haters: Just give it a rest, ok? As soon as the team unloaded Jamison, Dray turned into a 20-and-10 player overnight. He didn't get good enough to put up those numbers by f###ing around. If you care about winning, you ought to be praying for his speedy recovery.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | June 26, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Seraphim isn't going to be playing in the summer league because he is recovering from knee surgery.

With both Blatche and Seraphim coming off surgery, there is no guarantee that either is going to be available for the first part of the season.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"It's funny last year people were writing how trading the 5th pick for MM and Foye and the return of Gil was going to make the Wizards a playoff team...Now people are saying the trade for Hinrich and drafting Booker and Kevin Seriphan are going to make a difference?How soon people forget how bad of a GM Ernie really is...
Posted by: bulletsfan78"

The two statements, first that some folks felt the Wiz would be a playoff club in '09, and second that others feel that Booker and Seraphin could make a difference in '10, aren't really equivalent, and so don't prove the poster's point.

Booker and Seraphin could technically 'make a difference' without adding even one victory to the final record.

Hope I don't have to spend the rest of the year correcting logic errors...

Posted by: Samson151 | June 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I haven't heard people asserting that Seraphin will contribute much this coming season. Seems like folks are more concerned that he'll stay in Europe next year and not make it to the NBA at all. That's very unlikely, given the empty slots on the Wiz roster and the injury to Blatche. The kid has a pro season in France behind him, so he's been knocked around before. Some of those French clubs are like hockey teams, with a designated thug just to come in and bully young players.

But Booker is older and more likely to contribute.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 26, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Samson151

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

b78- did you ever mention Anderson before the draft? Or did you wait and see who the Spurs picked, then automatically say that's who we should have picked?

Posted by: divi3 | June 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"I didn't mind moving up to the 17th spot but I would have liked them to pick James Anderson because I believe the Wizards need a 2 guard that can play a long side wall for the next 10 years...posted by bulletsfan78"

I guess the assumption is that James Anderson is that 2 guard that can play "a long side wall" (sounds like a description of a house). He's certainly an interesting player, remarkably efficient in his scoring, particularly at the catch-and-shoot and pick-and-roll. He WAS the Okla State offense much of last year, with the majority of plays designed to get him free for a jumper. Some compared him to James Harden, but he isn't the athlete Harden is. Here's from one of the workouts:

"The highest ranked player of anyone in our mock draft in attendance in Vegas, James Anderson did about what you’d expect him to do here, doing a great job knocking down jumpers in both drills and scrimmages, showing off his impressive offensive talent level. Overall, he didn’t wow as much as some here, but the scrimmages probably aren’t the best setting for him, as he’s used to having plays run for him and coming off tons of screens at Oklahoma State...In drills, Anderson looked excellent, knocking down spot-up threes with ease and looking very smooth coming around screens, not surprising given his resume. He didn’t fare as well in scrimmages, however, not getting many open shots from his teammates and having to create virtually all of his offense out of isolations, which he did with mixed results. Many of the players here are a notch above Anderson athletically, and that’s something he didn’t seem to adjust to especially well in this setting, though it could have just been a bad day.From DraftExpress.com"

This is a player that should fit very well with the Spurs' disciplined offense.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 26, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 9:45 AM

I guess that's a fair statement.

Ernie obviously thinks they will (especially if you believe the report that his head was/is a little closer to the guillotine than any of us thought). He went out of his way, if you will, to draft Seraphin and Booker so it's clear (to me, at least) that he thinks those two are players. Flip will get the memo from Ernie to give them every opportunity to shine this year. If they both look like the second coming of Kwame "Huh?" Brown, he's done. My personal opinion is that he really thinks they will make a solid contribution THIS YEAR.

Posted by: gimmedat | June 26, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"The point is when you move up in the draft you should expect a guy to produce like Blair did last year....IMO I don't think either of the guys the Wizards moved up to take are going to accomplish much in the NBA
Posted by: bulletsfan78"

See, that's what I mean by an assumption. Reality is that very few second round choices ever produce like Blair did last season. He was an anomaly to start with, a lottery-caliber player who fell for weird medical reasons. We really should be comparing him to lottery picks, not second rounders.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 26, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

oh and b78, after seeing who the Spurs drafted and reading about him, I too thought he would have been a good pick for us, especially given Flip's supposed curl&shoot offense

Posted by: divi3 | June 26, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

and it really blows Dray broke his wheel! Despite what the haters think, he was gearing up for a banner year and will hopefully have been our leading scorer even with Gil back. 3 months on the shelf puts a huge damper on that, dont even want to think what kind of shape he'll be in come camp. Virtually impossible for big men to keep their wind on a broken foot, given dray has always been suspect to begin with- it aint gonna be pretty.

Posted by: divi3 | June 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

divi3

Yes, I did mention him before the draft...

I said if they are going to draft a point guard like wall they need to get a shooting guard that can make an open jump shot sort of like the way Ray Allen plays with Rondo...

I also said I would like to see them pick up a big guy like Big Baby and Blair since AB and McGee get pushed around and there were 2 guys available but Ernie drafted Booker?

I understand people don't like my views because fans want to believe the organization is doing their best to win a championship and I am glad Ted bought the team but I believe he needed to clean house from day one because if Booker and Seraphin don't work out this was a wasted draft.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shovetheplanet | June 26, 2010 7:01 AM

stp, Michael Lee secretly likes Dray very much is just trying to motivate him by bringing up his knucklehead misdeeds of the past. I'm not sure if the implied suggestion is that with all this time on his hands he might be tempted to.... You fill in the blank.

By all accounts, Dray has been seen numerous times assisting kids with the setting up their lemonade stands and helping little old ladies cross the street. I doubt he's going to get into more trouble.

But I am on board with most of you who think that he will be a train wreck come October in terms of conditioning. I'm completely braced for Flip's absolute meltdown on Dray at the start of training camp, followed by assistant coaches asking Dray if he's ready to go back into the scrimmage and Flip not talking to him AT ALL.

Posted by: gimmedat | June 26, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

because if Booker and Seraphin don't work out this was a wasted draft.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 10:23 AM

Seraphin has the built-in excuse of being a project player who doesnt really need to show much over the next 1-2yrs and Booker seems to be a known quantity. So I think Hinrich is pretty key, if he disappoints it's on EGs head immediately

Posted by: divi3 | June 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

a double-chinned, beer bellied Dray will school Booker repeatedly from Day1, which gets to the heart of why he drives coaches insane.

Posted by: divi3 | June 26, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | June 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

MM and Foye didn't work out and mostly everyone is willing to give him a pass on that trade?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 26, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

When MM/Foye were subpar, there was the excuse that they "hadnt signed up" for the roles they were being asked to play. Hinrich on the other hand is expected to be a player who can be leaned on if the situation calls for it. If he looks like a dud, it's two thumbs down on EGs first move with Ted as the owner....something you'd think Grunfeld can ill-afford if he wants to keep his job.

Posted by: divi3 | June 26, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shovetheplanet | June 26, 2010 7:01 AM
I agree.

Posted by: ptp23 | June 26, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Lot of comment about whether EG is a good GM or not.

Let's keep in mind that much depends on the owner, who sets the overall direction. I loved Abe, who was one of the all-time great DC civic leaders, especially for building the Verizon Center with his own money. However, the idea in his last years was to assure the Wiz would be respectable. That meant not thinking ahead too far. I can easily see the Pollin family encouraging EG to max out the team now, even if that meant trading away the lottery pick or signing Gil for whatever money he wanted.

It's a new day now. The current owner is stressing building to a champoinship level with youth, and collecting the draft picks.

Same GM but different modes of operation. Maybe EG is not such a bum. Ted is probably giving him some time to show he can adjust to a new philosophy. So far, so good for EG under Ted's guidance.

Posted by: EdDC | June 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Blatche getting hurt the same week we draft Wall is our long-time companion Buzzard's Luck just letting us know that he's still within arm's reach. Nothing to be too alarmed about.

Posted by: bobabuie | June 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78

No, I think the rest of us just realize that that season is over and it's time to move on and criticize EG for other things.

And by the way, there are many things to criticize EG for last season, but that trade is down the list. His real failing last year was not recognizing that the "Big 3" were flawed to begin with and were not ready to even be the Big 3 again.

If AJ, Caron and Gil had been able to play together close to the level they did before Gil got hurt, no one would care as much about the trade. That they weren't able to has not much to do with Miller or Foye.

Another way to look at it is that if we had Curry or Jennings, maybe the team plays just better enough that EG is not forced to do what needed to be done and blow up the team.

Posted by: ts35 | June 26, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

On Trevor Booker, from ESPN.com (warning to BF78: it's positive so you may not want to read it):

Q: What player in this draft is getting less attention than he deserves?

David Thorpe: I'd lean heavily to Trevor Booker. NBA execs mention Paul Millsap and Carl Landry when they are discussing Booker. Um, hello? Those are two of the top 18 power forwards in the game! Booker has the "beast" mentality with long arms -- a perfect combination. If his neck was an inch longer, he'd be a lottery candidate. Who cares about neck length?

Q: What player outside of Chad Ford's top 30 could you plug into the rotation of one of the teams in the Finals?

Fran Fraschilla: Trevor Booker gets my vote too. I have always advocated for second-round selections who have what I call "winning skills." These are players that bring high energy on the court, a specific high-level skill and are low maintenance off the court. Booker fits this perfectly.

After four years as an ACC starter, he has competed against -- and in some cases dominated -- guys who are already in the NBA. His power, explosive jumping ability, nose for the ball and experience would make for a great rotation player early in his career on a team like the Celtics. Think of him as a Glen Davis or Leon Powe type, both of whom had knocks on them coming out of college, but helped the Celtics win a title in 2008.

Posted by: Urnesto | June 26, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Music to Melodious Thunk's ears.

Posted by: bobabuie | June 26, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

what do 'missteps' have to do with an injury? Ridiculous journalism. Seems like no matter what this guy does, he's anchored to things that happened in the past. How about moving forward. This is supposed to be a new era. It'd be nice if the reporters took that same approach.

Posted by: original_mark | June 27, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse