David Falk: 'The cold war between the Wizards and me is over'

John Wall will be the lone player to audition for the No. 1 pick on Thursday at 11 a.m., which is somewhat fitting since the ESPN The Magazine cover boy will be the choice on June 24. If Ted Leonsis didn't make it obvious on the night of the lottery -- when he did the infamous Wall dance -- then he let it slip again on Monday when he told 300 season ticket holders that Wall would make significant contributions right away. Leonsis, then immediately caught himself, although he didn't have to.

The Wizards had also hoped to work out Evan Turner, but his agent, David Falk, wasn't receptive to their request. Falk said he has been bombarded with e-mails and phone messages from people who assume or wonder if Turner's refusal to workout for the Wizards is rooted in Falk's history with the franchise and the late Abe Pollin. Falk wanted to state, definitively, that that is not the case.

Falk's contentious relationship with Pollin began with testy contract negotiations for Rex Chapman and Juwan Howard and ended with Pollin's refusal to give Michael Jordan a front office job after playing his final game for the Wizards. But Falk wanted to clarify that he would rather have Turner in Philadelphia because the Ohio State junior swingman is a better fit with the 76ers and not because Falk is holding some grudge against the franchise.

"The cold war between the Wizards and me is over. We're in a new era," said Falk, who ended his long-standing pledge not to attend Wizards games after Pollin died last November. "This perception of Turner not working out is a continuation of a previous feud -- the feud is over."

Falk said he has a solid relationship with Leonsis and is looking forward to when he "puts his stamp on the team. I've been waiting for this day [Leonsis's takeover] ever since that day I recommended Michael come over [nearly 11 years ago]."

"I want to be crystal clear that I have privately discussed this situation with Ted to ensure that he understands; I'm not upset that they are taking Wall and he's not upset that we're not sending in Turner for a cursory workout. I hope the next time I have a guy like Turner, I can bring him," Falk said. "I would love to have players on the Wizards, but I think that for their own benefit, they are going to have to change the culture. Just like Ted changed the culture with the Capitals, he'll change the culture in the Wizards. Ted inherited a lot of difficult issues. It's been a disaster here the past two years, in many ways, it's been a disaster for 30 years. It's not going to change them overnight."

Falk said that Leonsis never told him outright that the Wizards were going to take Wall, but came away with that impression after speaking with him. He then focused his attention on Philadelphia. "I never wanted him to feel that we were being uncooperative," Falk said. "My preference is for Turner to be in Philadelphia, their preference is to take Wall. We both are getting what we want. I didn't want anyone to feel that we were publicly disrespecting the Wizards or Ted.

"I'm just doing my job. My job is to maneuver Turner to the team that best fits his profile," he said. "There is no animosity. You don't want to promote a team drafting a player when you would like to promote. Why would you want to convince Washington to take him, when you feel that Philadelphia is a better situation?"

By Michael Lee  |  June 16, 2010; 4:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall to work out for Wizards tomorrow
Next: John Wall challenges Obama

Comments

"Why would you want to convince Washington to take him, when you feel that Philadelphia is a better situation?"

Because then your client is the #1 pick overall you greasy dbag.

Posted by: divi3 | June 16, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

What a slime ball.

Falk was pushing hard on lottery night for Turner to be the Wizards' choice. Why is he changing his tune now? Because when the Wiz select Wall he can say with a straight face that he maneuvered to get his client to better situation. He's the type of guy that if I shook hands with him, I'd immediately feel the urge to go wash my hands.

Posted by: bobabuie | June 16, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, Owners, GM'S, coaches aren't supposed to say who the number 1 pick is, but it's ok for David Falk to go ahead and tell the world...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 16, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Agents have a great function in the world of basketball (professional sports for that matter). They help the player get the best deals he possibly can, not just with the team, but also for endorsement contracts, appearances, etc.

But a Falk feud with Pollin? A tail don't wag the dog and a fly ain't taller than the cow's ass.

Falk loves to rub elbows with the big boys and likes mentions in the media. He forgets he's just the designated salesman.

Posted by: rickgonz | June 16, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thinker11 | June 16, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to find something to respect about falk, but the more he speaks, the more pathetic he appears. Self important, yet petty. I'd like to say he's the worst, but unfortunately I work with a couple people with that same problem, and it ain't pretty. No matter how successful a man is, it is ultimately not worth it to acheive while making a complete fool of yourself.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | June 16, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

My gosh...talk about pissing on Abe's grave!

Although, the "debacle of the past 30 years" did amount to about $550 mil for the Pollin family.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 16, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

"I think we need 6-10+ 275, not 6-10 230.

I think Wiz management is angling for a late first rounder to get Zoubek.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Yes, please, let's make sure we go after a 275 lb guy who'll bounce between the bench and IR with foot problems, instead of a guy who can play.

I don't think a late first rounder is going to be required for Zoubek. He should certainly be there at 35, or if they want to pick up a mid second round pick.

Posted by: ts35 | June 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse "

Oh, but not as bad as throwing a hundred + million of dollars into the gutter for an ingrate guard with 3 times repaired bum knee and poor judgment?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 16, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I heard a couple of things today that, if true, help raise my hopes of the Wiz having some players available at the end of the 1st who can step right into an area of need for this team.

Read below for classic NBA Draft hyperbole:
I think there may be something to consider in this Brackins guy! If the Wizards want to mirror a young Oklahoma team, then I seriously see this guy as a 'poor mans' Keven Durant!
Posted by: bazteal | June 16, 2010 1:14 PM

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 16, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Also, had Gil's knee been repaired three times and had he been suspended by the league when he signed the deal? His knee had been injured once. At the time he was coming off of back-to-back seasons of averaging nearly 30pts a game. So maybe in context, the signing makes a bit more sense.

Zoubek on the other hand has already missed a lot time with his foot injuries, and had half a productive season at Duke. I'm not saying Brackins is The Man, I'm just saying I'd rather find guys who can play rather than draft guys just because they're big.

Posted by: ts35 | June 16, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Craig Brackins is an interesting player. Clearly should have left a year earlier, when he was in discussion as a lottery pick. He's another guy who played on weaker teams and suffered when his numbers fell off.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 16, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

"So your theory is that if we made one mistake, we might as well keep making them?

Posted by: ts35 | June 16, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse "

No, it doesn't.

The decision to draft Zoubek, if it happens, would be mild compared to the bonehead decision to give Gilby max money.

It was clear that he was damaged goods when he tried to return for a few token games before he was offered that max money contract.

It was clear that he was a train wreck waiting to happen both in his personal life and in his negative impact to the team.

Even before he got injured, once again, it was clear that he didn't have the ability to carry this team through a respectable 1st round showing in the playoffs, nevermind even winning a 1st round series.

Yes, it was clear for those who didn't have blinders on...which clearly excludes you.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 16, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Again, apples and oranges?

What does making a mistake now with drafting Zoubek in the first round have to do with Gilbert? Be it a mild mistake or otherwise? Let's say it dwarfs in comparison to the Gil contract....ok, but isn't it still a mistake? Are we going for "Hey, at least it wasn't as big a mistake as resigning Gil" as our new standard for excellence?

Really Nostradamus? Are you a knee surgeon or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express that night?

Really? What were the things that happened that made it abundantly clear that his personal life was going to become a train wreck?

Wow, really? Even though he had already done it once, and had hit a game winning shot to do it?

I think there were plenty of legitimate reasons at the time to argue against resigning him (at technically for less than max, btw, though ultimately it doesn't make that much difference). I just choose not to apply stuff that happened after-the-fact to justify it.

And I think to be fair, you have to look at the reasons why he was resigned. He was the closest thing to an actual star the Wizards had. He was coming off of two great personal seasons before the injury and had helped lead the Wizards to consistent respectability. It's fair to argue that because of his quirky nature and lack of defense that he had led the Wiz as far as he was going to, and that coupled with his knee injury, resigning him was a risk.

At the same time, he was a 26 year old who was averaging 29pts, 4rbs and 6asts, before an injury that other NBA players have come back from successfully. As a GM, how do you not resign that guy? I don't know how many of the GMs in the Wizards situation would have the guts to pass on it. Golden State (granted no hallmark of personnel genius) thought enough to offer him a deal.

DC, you strike me as the kind of person who, if they hadn't resigned him, and he had gone play well for another team, like the 23/7 he averaged this season, would spend his time saying that failing to draft Zoubek is as bad as when Ernie didn't resign Gil back in '08.

Posted by: ts35 | June 16, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Blah, Blah, Blah Gilbert ...
Lawdy, that conversation is sooo tired, give it a rest. Let the boy prove himself again or ... not. He may just realize after his time down off the mountain top that money ain't everything and he ain't either. Something I wish Falk would realize. Many Thanks to the other posters on here who dbagged him tonight. I'm thinking 'Ted' wont be sniffin' after Gil, chokin' on his exhaust, and Falk better watch out or the 'cold' will turn into a 'freeze'. Out.

Posted by: plotintelli | June 16, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

"1. Greivis Vasquez really impressed the Grizzlies in his workout yesterday and they are strongly considering taking him at #28. That would be great news for Terp fans who wish him the best and Wiz fans who want more big men to fall to #30.

2. This kid who worked out here, Craig Brackins, has been impressing real NBA-types at his workouts (not just posters like the one below) and he is believed to be creeping into the late first round, too. Again, that means more talents could fall to #30."

Not sure I buy this logic. Seems to me that guys creeping up from the second round to the nether reaches of the first is less a sign of more talent falling to the second round than it is a sign of how thin the talent pool is down there to begin with.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 17, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

David Falk did a great job explaining absolutely nothing and making no sense whatsoever.

No wonder Abe Pollin was able to outmaneuver him and make him look like a giant $chmuck with the whole MJ incident.

I come away from those comments and think - dude definitely has a grudge and is going out of his way to be a doosh toward the Wizards.

Posted by: p1funk | June 17, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzWiz

...............................................

Posted by: closg | June 17, 2010 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Greivis is a flat out gamer, glad to see him getting talked about as a first rounder.

Brackins is a kid that some were talking about last year, teams really overplayed him a lot this year because there wasn't much else on their roster. The Wiz were wise to bring him in hoping for him to fall to 30 or 35. I still think he might.
But if a guy shoots up late in the process, somebody falls.

I'm thinking the Wiz end up with 4-5 rookies under contract this season. Look for the Wiz to finally use the D-League, instead of having 2 guys in suits they'll be sending their 14th and 15th guys down for some work.

I'm still thinking Ernie figures out a way to snag another first rounder in a trade and Ted approves buying a second rounder.
Ted clearly wants to market youth. The new season ticket drive is asking fans to come join the new Rookie class of 2010.

If the Wizards and their doctors would have just spent more time stalking Arenas, all of these problems would have clearly have been evident to them...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 17, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

"It was Jordan Crawford that really impressed during the Griz PG workout, Griz still might take Greivis anyway.http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jun/16/xaviers-crawford-impresses/"

That makes more sense. Crawford is the sort of catch-and-shoot guard that adjusts well to the NBA. Easier to see him climbing in some team's estimation.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 17, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"The Wiz were wise to bring him in hoping for him to fall to 30 or 35. I still think he might."

I think 30-40 is about where teams have rated him.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 17, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Like that Memphis article notes, the real challenge for Greivis is on-ball defense. He's not that quick laterally. It's the same problem Luke Babbitt will have at small forward. Defending big guards in the NBA is way more difficult than in college. They've all got first steps. I imagine a coach would see Greivis as someone who could come off the bench and inject energy and a big play or two into an offense, rather than somebody you could count on as a regular.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 17, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Sasha Vujacic was taken 27th and despite him being an alleged sharpshooter, I think Grieves has more skillz and a superior mental makeup.

And I'm sure Grieves can approximate Sasha's epileptic fit defensive style that announcers claim is effective.

Posted by: divi3 | June 17, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"It's been a disaster here the past two years, in many ways, it's been a disaster for 30 years. It's not going to change them overnight."

In my perfect world, Mr Falk runs into Wes Unseld in some dark corner and Wes uses one of his meaty fists to drive Falk into the ground like a tent stake.

Even if you agree with Falk's assessment, it's just a classless thing to say.

Posted by: ts35 | June 17, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

It's less about that for GV and more about finding out how to translate his skills to whatever team he's on. He definitely has the competitive make up and a wide variety of skills, but it might take him a minute and a couple of teams to find his niche. Hopefully he's working a lot on his J, because shooters almost always find a home.

Posted by: ts35 | June 17, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"The cold war between the Wizards and me is over. We're in a new era."

Right dude, keep telling yourself that.

"So John Wall breaks his knee the day before the draft . . . I guess Falk would be . . . stupid."

Exactly, all Falk is doing now is trying to save face with his client. He screwed up and he knows it.

"I didn't want anyone to feel that we were publicly disrespecting the Wizards or Ted."

Riigghhhtt.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 17, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Ted. As your first official act as new Wizards owner, you should post pictures of David Falk at every entrance to the Verizon Center with the words "Do Not Admit Under Any Circumstances" boldly printed below.

Oddly enough, David Falk's picture is not displayed in the dictionary next to the word "scum". Must be an oversight.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | June 17, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"So, David Falk has all but said that he is glad Abe Polin is dead. And, now that Abe is dead, Falk says he is willing to allow the Wizards to make more money for him?"

No way, David Falk wouldn't do that would he? ;);)

After all he's such a great guy...according to himself.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Falk is the biggest phony outside of Scott Boros. I'm glad he's (Falk) not representing John Wall. I wouldn't draft Turner anyway...his back will probably go out sometime in his career (I'm not jinxing the guy but come on...broken back?). Besides, why should there be animosity between him and the Wizards? Falk stole money in the Juwann Howard deal. He should be in prison for that theft alone.

Posted by: leo25 | June 17, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Lot's of faux outrage here.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 17, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Wz fans should consider themselves lucky that Falk isn't representing Wall or we would have big problems down the road. It's a bit silly not have Turner workout here in the event that the Wiz braintrust have 2nd thoughts on Wall after his workout (not very likely). I'm sure Wall will end up going No. 2 and will be happy wherever he lands.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 17, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | June 17, 2010 12:04 PM
____________________________________

Look under "Bird of Prey," and you should see his photo, right next to Scott Bora$

Posted by: TimDz | June 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I was never a big Pollin fan; I think he was an honorable man who was in over his head with the modern athletes and their agents. He did some good things and he revitalized the downtown area with his own money. That said, Faulk's comments are a classless mean-spirited act against Pollin's, still grieving family. It goes to show you that money buys you lots of stuff, but classless jackasses can't buy their way out of being classless jackasses.

Posted by: Phillip258 | June 17, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Because there is only one #1 that's why. The #1 pick will get more money, prestige and only gets that chance once. His client is the NCAA player of the year. There is no reason for him to not have his professional athlete client not come in and do a few drills and talk to a few people on his way to the draft. How is Washington not a good fit for anyone? We have no identity and if his client is that good, he should be the identity of the poor team that drafts him no matter who it is. Like I said, what would it hurt for him to come to the verizon center and either reaffirm we are making the right choice in Wall, or make us think twive about the overall great player of the year Turner is? It really is academic as Ted has made his choice, but it sets a bad precedent to not even give your client a chance.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | June 17, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

It's a pattern of mistakes by EG, whether it's drafting dudes, signing dudes, or cutting dudes that he signed.

If EG drafts Zoubek and Zoubek turns out to be a bust, when people look back at EG's career here, it won't be about picking Zoubek.

Yes, I am N0stradamus. I called it when it happened and I warned that it would be a mistake to give damaged goods max money.

Hmm, maybe kicking his f1ance out of the house b/c the k1ds were drawing on the walls. Hmm, maybe saying he wanted to drive his car off GW parkway into the Potomac River.

After Larry Hughes left, the 1st round series after that were total debacles. And, he ch0ked on the free throw line when LeBron whispered sweeet nothings in his ear.

What happened "after the fact" had nothing to do with paying money to a guy who was damaged goods, who hurt his own body by going against trainer/doctor recommendations, and who clearly had a personal agenda to promote himself above the team.

Whatever. You don't pay someone for past performance that doesn't go with the program and showed nothing of his old self when he returned to the court right before the max money offer.

He didn't deserve max money then, and certainly not even close now.

And the team won nothing and the team was fragmented. You re-sign him, but not max money.

I was done with Gilby after his "coming out party" as I knew then and there that he had his own agenda and was a ph-0ny.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 17, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | June 17, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

See? This is an argument I will accept. There's no need to pile a bunch of other stuff into it that happened afterwards or not at all. There are plenty of legit reasons to say that resigning Gil was a mistake. As long as you recognize that there were some good reasons to resign him as well. Personally, from a basketball sense, I think resigning AJ to a 4 year deal was more of a mistake.

But I'm still not sure what any of it has to do with arguing for drafting Zoubek.

Posted by: ts35 | June 17, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

one thing Falk said I have to agree with is the under Pollin and Wes regime this organization sucked. Now we have Ernie. If Ernie screw this draft up like he did last yr he should never get another job. How do you trade the 5th pick for Miller and Foye and Oberto who shouldn't be in the league for an early 2nd (Blair).

Posted by: rnbrown4 | June 18, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"So we're agreed then that getting another first round pick and using it on Zoubek would be a mistake, and now we're just arguing about how big a mistake it would be in the EG pantheon of mistakes?"

You and only you agree with yourself. Pay attention..I said if Zoubek turns out to be a bust, it won't be a top 10 in EG's list of things he's done that turned up turkey.

"If we're gonna go there, let's go there. Wasn't that at the same time she was having an affair with Chris Webber? And later had one with Shaq? But you're right, I'm sure it was for the kids drawing on the walls. I mean if we're gonna play Access Hollywood, let's play!"

Which proves my point that he had personal issues.

"Gil only really played in one first round series after that, he wasn't healthy in the next one and barely played in the one after that because he was still recovering. But in the one series he did play after that, he averaged 34 / 5 / 5 on 46% shooting and 43% from 3. They lost in 6 games. The last two went to OT. In the last game, AJ went 6-17 and Caron went 5-18. But you're right, Gil really let us down. He choked on those FTs. Of course, we're not in the game or the series without him...."

Gilby forced himself to play in that all star game and 3 pt shooting contest despite having a bum shoulder....ended up hurting himself worse with that dislocated clavicle, and then the team went on a downward spiral and barely made the playoffs.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 18, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

"He was 12 months removed from major knee surgery, hadn't played a NBA game in that time, and still averaged 19 / 3 / 4. And again, he signed for less than max. @$15M less."

Gilby was offered max money because EG was backed into a corner.

19-3-4 does not equate to max money, and his stats do not translate to playoff success.

Gilby could never beat DWade's teams, and could never beat LeBron's teams.

"As long as you recognize that there were some good reasons to resign him as well. Personally, from a basketball sense, I think resigning AJ to a 4 year deal was more of a mistake."

The only "good" reason to resign him was to use as trade bait...otherwise, as he threatened, he'd walk without compensation for the Wiz.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 18, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse