'Emotional' John Wall optimistic about making playoffs

John Wall spoke with the media here at Verizon Center via teleconference and answered questions about his initial reaction to being the official No. 1 overall pick, if he can coexists with Gilbert Arenas and whether the Wizards are a playoff team. Here are some highlights from the news conference:

On his reaction to being the top selection: "It was great, emotional. Talked to my sister, shook my mom's hand, gave my momma a hug. Shook my college coach's hand and greeted my two brothers and got on stage."

On the opportunity to help the Wizards: "They had a tough time on and off the court last year, so basically me going in to try to help as much as I can, help them win games and learn as much as I can from the staff and [assistant coach] Sam Cassell and the returning guys and the guys who are getting in, just try to become a better team next year on and off the court."

On whether he worries fans will be impatient: "I think they all understand it's a learning experience. It's going to be a tough time. I'm going to have my ups and downs, and as long as I believe in myself and stay confident, there's really not too much I can do about the fans feeling bad about me at times and feeling good about me."

On playing with Arenas, who will be moving to shooting guard: "That means a lot. He's a talented person, and I feel like he's a shooting guard. Try to make things work out."

On if the Wizards can make the playoffs this season: "Yeah, I think we can. The Eastern Conference, it's a tough conference, so basically it's going to be a lot of hard work."

By Gene Wang  |  June 24, 2010; 11:00 PM ET
Categories:  John Wall , NBA draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Grizzlies take Greivis Vasquez with 28th pick
Next: Wizards' plan was to get tougher through draft

Comments

The kid already has sense enough to know that fans can be ridiculous at times. I think he's going to be just fine in a couple years and might even grace us this season with a couple of great performances.

Posted by: and_1 | June 24, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

John,

Not if Ted leaves the team in Ernie's hands

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 24, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

They need to make sure he spends none of his free time with Gilbert Arenas.

I'm thinking Hinrich was brought in with the specific purpose of having a responsible veteran presence on the teams that can mentor Wall and shield him from the Gilbert Effect.

Posted by: p1funk | June 24, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

ESPN saying now Hinrick was a big part of mentoring Derrick Rose.

Posted by: RambleOn | June 24, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Well ALABI is off the board at #50 so all the centers I would have picked are gone. I don't know what the f... they are doing picking both SERAPHIN AND BOOKER when they can resign SINGLETON. I guess they'll have two centers with FA LEE and McGEE the only fives on the roster and they go with four fours. They need a #3 and a #5 plus a backup #1. They just can't draft them all, and #56 ain't gonna get much.....

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 24, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

How hard can it be to make the playoffs in the East?

A .500 team made it this past season in the East.

In the west, the 8th seed was .610.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 24, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Not if Ted leaves the team in Ernie's hands
Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 24, 2010 11:14 PM

Or in the hands of the amateurs on this board.

Posted by: Rocc00 | June 24, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I like Hinrich off the bench with the ability to start in spells.

He's a Kansas guy right?

I like the way Kansas has been playing the past few years. I would have loved for the Wizards to trade up and draft Kansas C-Aldrich.

Posted by: Vicc | June 24, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we just got our paint clogging, defensive minded center at 56...the guy looks like a beast. So far I give the wizard a b+ or a- Better times are going to be here soon, however, I suppose they have already begun.

Posted by: BurgwithaU | June 24, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

How hard can it be to make the playoffs in the East?
Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 24, 2010 11:44 PM |

Guess that is as easy as your Mom.

Posted by: Rocc00 | June 24, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

"Guess that is as easy as your Mom.

Posted by: Rocc00 | June 24, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse "

No, your mom is easier.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 24, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

"Or in the hands of the amateurs on this board.

Posted by: Rocc00 | June 24, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse "

That's what your mom called your dad.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 24, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I forget who the fan is who posts about Magnum Rolle, but his guy got drafted in the 2nd, so he has to be very happy... good luck to yer guy, buddy.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 25, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

NOW they pick a center. Guess BOOKER was insurance in the event they can't sign SERAPHIN right away. HAMADY N'diaye is short at 6'11" and undersized at 235. Another project, oh my, they better land DAVID LEE. The other FA will have to be a #3 since THORNTON and HOWARD are the only two on the roster. Guess ROSS, SINGLETON and LIVINGSTON are on the outside looking in. Sure hope not however. Would love LIVINGSTON to be onboard at #1, but I can't see it. I think it will be FOYE - ugh.

O.K. what have we got

#5 - McGEE and N'dIAYE. Needed one front-line player [LEE? in FA].
#4 - BLATCHE, SERAPHIN and BOOKER
#3 - THORNTON. Needed, HOWARD and a FA or two FA's.
#2 - ARENAS, YOUNG, ROSS, HINRICH.
#1 - WALL. Needed, LIVINGSTON or FA.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 25, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Love our draft. Booker can give us inside toughness. The french kid can at least contribute on the defensive end. We can also sign a few instant contributors as well. I am excited about this team!!!

Posted by: merajc86 | June 25, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Ndiaye drafted....another JaTravel.

Zoubek bypassed!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 25, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards definitely need to find a way to re-sign Howard -- hopefully they can work out a deal. I'd guess that Miller is a possibility too for the right price, but I think the odds are he walks via FA.

With Hinrich on board Livingston walks. Foye is almost certainly going too.

So basically FA re-signings probably come down to Singleton and Howard. It sounds like at least two of the picks not named John Wall are Projects with a capital P. Booker probably is more of a project with a lower case "p". Physically he may have some resemblance to DeJuan Blair in terms of height-wingspan, but the comparison strikes me as inaccurate. Booker plays much higher above the rim, Blair got rebounds and scoring based on his use of his body and positioning -- he could also score with either hand in college, which is something Booker will need to work on at the Pro level. Similar bodies, different style of play. Booker may have more upside athletically, but my sense is he's also got further to go in terms of development.

Posted by: JPRS | June 25, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Don't see any reason they re-sign Howard. Clearly the youth movement is in full swing. Howard is a 30-year old coming off a major injury who has no place in their future plans (and probably won't even be available to play when the season starts).

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 25, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The past couple of years, EG makes the horrendous moves of signing mediocre players to long term lucrative contracts and spends considerable time trying to move them at the deadline literally functioning from a substantial position of weakness. He succeeds in moving them, create considerable cap flexibility to only turn back and spend half of it on...... Hinrich????? The very same Hinrich that Chicago, a couple of years after realizing it was a huge signing mistake (ala EG), have been aggressively trying to move him with no success.
There was very little way EG could have managed to marginalize a draft where he had a potential game changer on his lap at the # 1 pick and EG managed to rain on his own parade.
And it's appalling that many on here are applauding the moves. This isn't a hit on Hinrich particularly, because he is a decent player, but at $ 17 millions the next 2 years??? After you struggled so much and operated from a position of weakness trying to move the similar mistakes you signed???
Needless to say that in the process, you may become a despised team (thus negatively impacting future trades) by potentially helping a Chicago team building a dynasty. And.... OKC, in a very similar deal (obtaining 1 lower pick) only managed to absorb a 1-year $3 million deal??
Only someone like Kalo or Melodious would somehow debate that EG made great moves just like he argued this time last year that getting Miller/Foye for the 5th pick would be a splashing success.
Oh wait, in a few months, they will be talking about hindsight.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | June 27, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse