Free agency update; John Wall picks No. 2

The Wizards will sit by the sidelines when all of the madness gets underway at 12 a.m. They have already made several summer decisions by committing most of their available salary cap space to Kirk Hinrich ($9 million), Yi Jianlian ($4.5 million) and draft picks Kevin Seraphin ($1.3 million) and Trevor Booker ($1.1 million).

In theory, the Wizards only have about $5 million to $6 million available to make roster upgrades, but that will only be the case if they decide to renounce the rights of all of their available free agents. Renouncing the rights of their free agents would mean that the Wizards couldn't sign any of those players for at least one year, and they still have some interest in bringing back Mike Miller, Josh Howard or Shaun Livingston.

Those players could also be assets in potential sign-and-trades if they choose not come back but want more money - say above the mid-level exception - elsewhere. Everything remains in play right now - but cannot happen if the Wizards renounce their rights. The Wizards wouldn't have to make a decision on those matters until July 8.

They will look to sign a veteran big man and another wing player this summer. After all of the big name forwards get snatched up, the pickings are quite slim. So the Wizards are going to wait patiently to see how everything shakes out. They are not in any rush, since a lot of decisions still need to be made in the next week.

And whoever they sign will get a short-term deal. If you look at the moves that the Wizards have made, they don't have any long-term agreements that could come back to haunt them. They plan to build for the future and this summer is about establishing the foundation after a past of overpaying all-stars and getting minimal returns. They don't want to keep repeating the same mistakes that have set back the franchise for decades.

Miller is in Los Angeles preparing to meet with the New York Knicks and possibly the Miami Heat once the free agent negotiating period begins. Howard, who is still recovering from left knee surgery, will officially hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent. Team President Ernie Grunfeld confirmed that the team won't pick up Howard's $11.8 million option, something that the team never intended to do after acquiring him from Dallas at the trade deadline. After Howard tore his ACL in February, that decision became blatantly obvious.

As for Livingston, his agent, Henry Thomas, said that the Wizards told Livingston after the season that they were interested in retaining him. "Obviously a few things have happened since then," Thomas said, without having to mention the Wizards drafting John Wall with the No. 1 overall pick and trading for Hinrich. "We'll just have to see on July 1, whether they express interest or not."

A league source confirmed that the Wizards would love to bring back Livingston, given the matchup problems he presents at 6-feet-7. If Livingston comes back, he will have to get a new number, since Wall announced on Twitter that he has chosen to wear No. 2. It was a difficult decision for Wall, who has worn No. 11 since he was in high school. I heard that Wall begged for No. 11 several times and really anguished over the decision, contemplating No. 3 and No. 15. Wall tweeted that he "just felt #2 was a good number."

But there was no way that the Wizards were going to unretire Elvin Hayes's number to accommodate him, even though he went first in the draft. For those who don't know, here is a brief history to remember just what Hayes in his career: He led the Bullets to three trips to the NBA Finals and a championship in 1978. He is in the Hall of Fame and made the list of the NBA's 50 Greatest players. I could go on all day, but I won't. Just understand that No. 11 is retired for good reason. And unless Wall can guarantee that he'll average 28 points and 17 rebounds as a rookie, then I think we can move on.

The No. 3 became available when Quinton Ross was dealt to New Jersey, but Wall now becomes the second No. 1 overall pick to wear the No. 2 for the franchise, joining Chris Webber.

By Michael Lee  |  June 30, 2010; 9:55 PM ET
Categories:  John Wall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Miller will consider return to Washington
Next: Trevor Booker and Hamady N'Diaye talk about joining Wizards

Comments

Posted by: sagaliba | June 30, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, hit the "submit" too early. This is what I wanted to say:

Here is the main reason I do not like the Yi trade: we now only have 5-6 mil to bring in a FA instead of 8-9 mil before the trade. I was hoping that Wiz can bringing in a starting caliber SF. 8-9 mil may get you one, 5-6 may not.

Posted by: sagaliba | June 30, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, hit the "submit" too early. This is what I wanted to say:

Posted by: sagaliba | June 30, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

You can't look at like that because they wouldn't sign any player to a one-year, $8-9 million dollar. It would be a 3-5 year deal and Ted (coreectly) has said he doesn't want to tie up long-term money right now.

The plan appears to be and should be that they build around Wall and hope that in a year or two he looks so good that FA's will want to play with him the way players now are jockeying to play with Derrick Rose.

Posted by: b_standig | June 30, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

"They don't want to keep repeating the same mistakes that have set back the franchise for decades."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Posted by: MeviousMan | June 30, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow...

Pretty sad to hear that Wall was begging for #11.

Sheesh...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 30, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Can someone ask EG about his draft pick Vermeenko?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 30, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

MeviousMan

I was thinking the same thing...

Hinrich=Miller

Yi=OP

Ernie=Ernie

Medical staff=Medical Staff

Ted getting 3 million in each trade=Abe

What's new?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 30, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

"What's new?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 30, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse "

And if Gilby = Gilby

AB = AB

And John Wall gets pressured into paying at the much ballyhooed Barry Farms's 9.5 ft. rims and asphalt court, then we'll be talking injuries again.

Groundhog day....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 30, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: IrenePollin | July 1, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

"PLEASE find a new team to follow, bulletsfan and DC_MAN. You are both clearly too good for this one.

Posted by: IrenePollin | July 1, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse "

Please find another team to buy and their blog to surf since you are too good for Les BouleS and sold it for big money.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 1, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 30, 2010 11:37 PM |

Idiot. You never was & never will much of anything.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 1, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

"In the mean time, the Wiz are taking on shorter-term deals of vets who will had stability this team really needs (Hinrich) and youngins who still have potential and need time (Yi).Posted by: b_standig"

I like Hinrich and Yi, but I doubt they'll have much positive impact on the won-loss record next season. The club might look very different again in 2012.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Anybody here thinks Ernie is any good at Poker? I know darn well I can whip his butt at Pinochle all day long.

That big fat congtract that Gilbert has may save his butt and that of the Wizards as well.

Why???

Cause if Gilbert is the real deal all the way around, he is really one of the top stars in the League.

That being the case Wall and Arenas may have a top star banging down the door next year.

Can anybody feel that???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 1, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

"As if you know how to play twerp. That's why you open your trap so much here & in MD blowing your ho bag's mommy's t1ts. Dumb @ s s.
Idiot. You never was & never will much of anything.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 1, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse "

Yo HO!

You know nothing about basketball, so stop pretending!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 1, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards will look to sign a veteran big man and another wing player this summer.

Jarron Collins would be a good pick up. He's smart(Stanford), well-coached(Utah), and wouldn't expect much playing time(old). That's assuming that the Wizards are just looking for a guy to work with the young guys. And maybe he can talk Flip into using Yi as a stretch 5 like Channing Frye.

Posted by: djnnnou | July 1, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78, you know I have seen the wisdom in your post's, so remedy me this:

If we are quick to usher Gilby out the door, and you know as well as I do that it takes 2-3 top notch players in the NBA to win a championship, WHOM REPLACES GILBERT AND WHOM MIGHT THAT THIRD GUY BE AND HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE.

Getting rid of Gilbert without first understanding what it takes to win a champioship is fools gold IMO.

So holla at a playa.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 1, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I saw on nba draft.net that John Scheyer from duke was on our summer league roster anybody no if that's true or not?

Posted by: dakel76 | July 1, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

I thought #2 would be a good number for J.Wall to choose. Lots of guys switch from a single digit to a double-digit number that adds up to the original, he just reversed it.

Plus, if Reebok is slick, I could picture them making an ad where they freeze-frame the John Wall dance when his fist turns out and making his arm look like the #2.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 1, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

From Mike Jones at CSNWashington:

"For now the squad features Wall, JaVale McGee, Cartier Martin, Trevor Booker, Hamady Ndiaye, Maryland's Eric Hayes, Michigan State's Raymar Morgan, Cal's Jerome Randle, San Diego State's Kyle Spain, and Texas A&M's Kevin Palmer, as well as former Laker Sun Yue and former Georgetown standout Michael Sweetney. The roster is being finalized some time this week and could include another center and small forward."

I gotta say, I'm kinda surprised to see Ryan Wittman on the Celtics' Summer League squad instead of the Wizards'. Especially since it looks like the Wizards will be auditioning 3pt specialists as part of their Summer League.

Maybe all of you posters that wanted the Wizards to use their #35 pick on Brian Zoubek will get your wish and see him added to the Wizard's SL squad after he plays for NJ in Orlando Summer League next week.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 1, 2010 2:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't think picking up other people's garbage is a sustainable strategy.

We got burned with Mike Miller and Randy Foye last year, at the time we thought it was a steal.

Posted by: twigmuffin | July 1, 2010 3:41 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

I guess Ted is willing to see how Gil and Wall do together, but with the bunch of misfits Ernie has either traded or drafted it will be hard for this team to win a lot of games and get a read on how good the two of them really are?

The front line is going to be a joke when it comes to playing "D" and getting rebounds.

I wanted the Wizards to draft a guy with the 17th pick that could grow with wall and instead they got a guy (hinrich) who they will let go after his deal is up and a project who if they are like the Spurs will keep him in Europe for 3 to 4 years which means if he ever becomes a player it will take another 2 years for him and Wall to get on the same page.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 1, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Please, not Oberto as the veteran big man.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | July 1, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: IrenePollin | July 1, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about DC_MAN but you are right with my knowledge of the game I do deserve a better team to root for, but since I was born and raised in the DC area, I happen to become a Bullets fan back in the 70's and if a person is really a true fan they remain a fan of that team even if the owner (Abe) didn't care about the fans or winning a championship.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 1, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

no way.
I will remain to be the wiz fan.
I am positive these moves are going to work.
I hope injury will be history.
I hope Arenas will save the season by adjuesting with wall or by going to be picked for another young talent and expiring contract.

Posted by: gtefferra | July 1, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Supposedly Bosh will be the first big name FA to go, to Miami in a sign and trade, with the Raptors getting Mario Chalmers and agreeing to take Michael Beasley.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

I hope most writers here..have real jobs..cause there is real doubt many..know basketball!
I did not read one comment about improved defense..which this team has finally done.
Wall plays tough defense(maybe he can teach Arenas), Booker is really tough, and Heindrick is tough. Yi, is a good rebounder.
Harrington is decent.
If Wall and
Arenas end up playing together...that will
put a ton of stress on teams that have to defend.
The Wiz need an accurate 3 point guy. Miller is good..but may not be back. Arenas is a streak shooter..but when he goes cold..he goes like 2-20. That means a lot more rebounds for the other team..and shots as well.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | July 1, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Lets win 40 games and grab the #8 seed.

Posted by: jeremybozz | July 1, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the Poet is available. Or Calvin Booth :)

Posted by: fearturtle44 | July 1, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

I hope all the money going to max contract players will make it easier for the wiz to sign nice pieces but not franchise players since we already have one. Mike Miller, Kyle Korver, Udonis haslem, josh howard, Brad Miller... Could be a bargain sale and I heard Heat would practically give away Michael Beasley and a first round pick for essentially nothing. I would watch a productive PF who had stints in rehab.

Posted by: jefferu | July 1, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Dinnou,
Got to say I've had the same thought about Yi. That's what I meant about him being a Don Nelson type of player.

The Guy's not taken alot of threes, but he shoots them pretty well. With Wall and Arenas in the lineup and collapasing defenses into the lane a spot up shooting big man could have some real value.

Against teams that don't have a center that will eat him in the post Yi could provide some offense from the 5 position from the perimeter.

What's the crap about Seriphan playing 3-4 years in Europe? He has a $750,000 buyout, there's no reason he won't be here this summer. So they did pick up a big to grow with Wall.

Wall made a pretty nice choice of #2. Roman # 2 is II, look for II on the Reboks.

Zoubek and Scheyer wouldn't be two bad choices for a summer league team. I'd rather see Zou then some of the veteran bigs that the Wiz could sign. The guy plays really smart and tough, he's long and really likes to mix it up down low.
He had foot problems for most of his career at Duke, so he wasn't worth a pick, but I'd take a summer league flier on him.

Scheyer was co ACC player of the year. That speaks for it's self...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Mr Lee. As an FYI, YI does not count against the CAP. The Wizards used their $4M trade exception on him. That keeps it neutral to the cap.

Posted by: pkiernan | July 1, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Awl...8'er, off the meds again and talking to yourself.

Posted by: flohrtv | July 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

There's plenty of Medical Marijana out here to last me my lifetime as long as Willie Nelson doesn't move here?

I posted 3 times and each one was in response to someone elses post so I don't know what you are reading or are you turning into kal?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 1, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"Awl...8'er, off the meds again and talking to yourself."

I just skip'em. What's the point if you already know what you're going to hear? Even if you agree, it's stuff you heard last week, and last month, and last season...

In other news, the owners have gotten involved and now the flacks claim Joe Johnson stays in Atlanta and Amare in Phoenix...

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 12:24 AM

I agree with half of what you said, not much impact on Ws and Ls next season.

So Seraphin had best be the goods.

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I was refering to 88'er, but since you responded, were you stalking Gil too?
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 1, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------
thank God at least one poster gets it! For years the Wizards were the a cheaper Suns of the East; but, a bad version of it. The Suns don't even subscribe to the better offense = defense philosophy anymore.As for getting rid of Gil, the one person who would protest is Wall. The kid is 19 years old and does not want to be another Chauncey or Stephon in their early years.I think the key is Trevor Booker.They finally have an overly athletic / strong presence to do dirty work.As for Seraphin,there were at least 3 teams in the first that coveted him.When it comes to offense he's a project. As for defense, he's ready now.If you don't believe me , ask JW #2 or Cousins.

Posted by: orpheusgroupent | July 1, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

corey brewer leaves minny as an unrestricted FA. I most def think we could use him as a hyper athletic defensive minded 3 man to fill the lanes with Wall we also get "longer".

JW2 6' 4
GA6 6' 3
CB 6' 9
YI/AB 7'0/6'11
JM 7'1

only reason YI and AB split time is during his recovery, i would hope the 4 is back to being his 30+ mins (a la AJ) befor the end of the year.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

If Gil sticks with the Wiz this season, I think he could struggle. Since Hughes left six seasons back, he's needed the ball in his hands to make his numbers. Now we're talking about Gilbert Arenas as a spot-up shooter from 3 point range. And somebody who can match up on defense with skilled offensive players (a thing the team hasn't asked him to do). With Wall doing the penetrating, you sure don't want other guards in the lane interfering with his path to the basket.

Assuming that Wall won't be the primary scorer the way Tyreke Evans is, you'd need adept wing players like a Paul Pierce or a younger Ray Allen who could convert opportunities off Wall's penetration. I could see Blatche doing very well. I could imagine Booker and McGee succeeding in the open court or off quick interior passes, the way Cousins and Patterson did at Kentucky. Yi could move back out to the wing and shoot 3 pointers over people's heads, a la Vlad Radmanovic.

Maybe Gilbert will surprise me.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

How about an interesting lineup of
J Wall
Gil
Shaun Livingston
Blatche
c-?

(mcgee is not ready to start yet)

It would be a very team oriented squad and Gil would have the complete green light to shoot. Also, Livingston is big enough to guard SFs. The only issue is, who outside of Blatche and Gil is going to score?

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Wall's not going to come in and dominate the league from the get-go....Gil will have his fair share of ball handling duties I would think.

Reading Bog yesterday, I'm almost convinced Ted is sincere about not trading Gil for now. Leonsis personally saw to it that Gil's jersey was available again on nba store...as Steinberg said, trading him directly after encouraging people to buy his jersey would seem like an odd way to kick off relationship with your fanbase.

but who knows

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

you should change that to "since LH left......he's been the only one who should have had the ball in his hands.

We haven't had an adequate 2 guard since LH left. NY is my man but his mins fluctuate from DNPCD to 30 mins, and he struggles with his consistency. we haven't had a 2 guard start alongside Gil who didn't automatically defer to Gil. Also look at LH's impact on defense. He and Gil split the ball on offense, but LH was good enough on and off the ball that he created offense from defense and covered gil's mistakes. I really look back at letting LH leave as a major blunder by EG. I know some would say that LH left to chase the money and wasn't gonna stay. it's just funny how those same people don't look at Roger mason's departure like that.

Gil hasn't had another guard to take the ball out of his hands since LH. I mean i guess DS handled some ball handling responsibilities, but as i said before, every guard that has played alongside Gil since LH has deferred to Gil. I think Gil can be effective alongside Wall especially on penetrate and kick situations.

BTW Samson, while Gil has demonstrated the ability to hit long jumpers from anywhere on the court, i seriously doubt the addition of Wall automatically makes him a ".....a spot-up shooter from 3 point range" i think more so it opens up his options to work off the ball and find open spots. While MM drifted out to the 3 line (and didn't shoot it) Flips offense still had him getting the ball on curls and in the highpost. I know MM is taller and played some 3 last year, but it's not hard to imagine Gil in the NY/Rip HAmilton mold that Flip talked up all last summer. as we know Rip is a decent 3 pt shooter, but his game is from the arc in. He was hardly a spot up 3 point shooter.

Give it a chance guys. You literally have no idea of what Gil is capable of now or what he will be capable of alongside Wall. Literally a never before seen combo. Let it play out it could work out really well. Have both players not shown their ability to play well with other scoring guards?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

also what happen with jon scheyer?

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Copied from a previous thread ("Raiding"):

As to memories of Hinrich, mine are different. He's made plays against us over the years, knows his basketball and seemed to be pretty adept at picking Gil's pocket. He's not a threat to score 64 like Gil did, but neither is he likely to essentially laugh in the coaches face when asked to play defense, pout when asked to shoot less and pass more, defecate in a rookie's shoe, completely de-wheel someone's car, bring four firearms to the VC, subsequently attempt to orchestrate a cover-up, etc.

Posted by: harrybalz | June 30, 2010 1:17 PM |

My most vivid memory of KH is from the 2002 FF where he played admirably in a classic game for the ages. we needed a guard, and he is a pretty good one. As a pro, he's done pretty well for himself (other than getting traded to the Wiz) and is an established player - better than potential upside given the youth movement already in place.

On a side note, your screen name is absolutley juvenile and disgusting. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | July 1, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Wait-a-second....lost in all of the news regarding the draft and trades and such I just realized one point - Scheyer-face did NOT get drafted? How did that happen? I mean despite the fact that he looks like Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) at his best, the guy can ball. I completely get GV going in the first round, but Scheyer a UFA? Wasn't he in the consensus for one of the top 5 PGs in college?

That might be a steal for who ever picks him up on a Boozer-like level. I blame coach rat-face for the unbelievable disappointment the young man must be feeling. Sure he got a NC, but c'mon the guy could play.

And now he might be taking Eric Hayes' roster spot.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | July 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

As has been the case for the last year, the key question for the Wizards is whether they can trade Arenas for cap relief.

Posted by: Dellis2010 | July 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I think in an ideal world, Wall would pair up with somebody like Xavier Henry, a spot-up three point shooter who was athletic enough to defend at SG and strong enough to take on the occasional SF. James Anderson is probably even more efficient as a shooter but apparently has fairly severe deficiencies when matched up against the bigger, quicker players you find in the NBA.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

For good reason, the Wiz will (and should) do all they can to get rid of Gil's albatross of a contract for someone like Vince Carter with a one year deal. (Hate Carter all you want--but you'll only have to for one year.) Gil is a no-D injury-prone (injury after injury) needs-the-ball point guard with terrible judgment about things like handguns in the locker room. And with Wall the Wiz have little use for him.

I'd be shocked if someone else takes him, though. Maybe the Mavs or Knicks--they have unlimited money and limited sense.

Posted by: BPupp | July 1, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

First explanation I've seen as to why Solomon Alabi, the 7' center from Fla State, fell so far in the draft: he's got Hep B. That's the so-called serum hepatitis that makes IV drug users test false-positive for TB. It's endemic in China and epidemic in parts of Africa. You can carry it for years (and most do) with few if any flare-ups, but it can contribute to serious episodes of inflammation and allegedly to liver cancer (among cancers, that's a real bad one).

A medical risk in the long term, but Alabi could very well wind up being a steal if he can stay healthy -- particularly for a club that doesn't have a center, like where he wound up (Toronto).

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Scheyer was on the Wiz summer roster but he is not in any of the updates...?

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

livingston can hit the open mid-range jumper with ease....did it many times last year....would prefer him over hinrich

Posted by: BurgwithaU | July 1, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I like the rebuilding process as it is unfolding so far, but it's too early to tell if these new players will pan out or not. People looking to hate or be pessimistic have plenty of negative thoughts to share, but I'll reserve judgement until we see if the team starts to gel on the court.

No matter what, anybody expecting playoffs this season is crazy at this point. We have a long way to go before we can think big.

One player I kinda hoped the Wiz could make a run for in FA was David Lee. Young inside player who can score and rebound and play either the 4 or 5. I think he'd be a clear upgrade over McGee with lots of years left to play. The Yi trade probably takes too much money away to make that happen, and perhaps Lee had no interest in Washington. I just figured he might be a player we could get, especially during the frenzy for Bosh and LeBron.

Posted by: gophercrow | July 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Ernie had the number 5 pick and the number 32 pick in last year's draft and has nothing to show for it. His last two teams have won 19 and 26 games. I can't believe that guy still has his job.

Posted by: sonny2 | July 1, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BurgwithaU
===============
Hinrich's jumper is a lot better especially the range. Also the better defender. The bad part is how much more he cost that Livingston.

Posted by: millineumman | July 1, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

What about Gil, Yi and Young for Melo and 2 guard? Nuggets are looking to move him.

Posted by: tischmid | July 1, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

twitter reaction to JWall choosing number two per truth about it:

Twitter Reaction:

@dcsportsbog I can’t feel my face. Sigh.

@dcsportsbog And thus, the Shaun Livingston Era ends in D.C.

@MikePradaSBN So @jimmywa11 just took DeShawn Stevenson’s number. When will we see Wall sport the beard and the “I Can’t Feel My Face?”

@dontbeabrick @MIkePradaSBN I’m just hoping for a back tattoo.

@wzzntzz looks good tattoo’d on u back, too RT @jimmywa11: just felt #2 was a good number

@craigstouffer RT DeShawn who? Let’s move on already. Let the shirt selling begin. @jimmywa11 I picked to wear #2 for nxt yr

@bigdaddywookie @jimmywa11 ya I was gon say 2 also

@CarbonPrimo Congrats bro! Look forward to seeing you in the deuces! RT @jimmywa11: I picked to wear #2 for nxt yr

@Truth_About_It Great, ‘nother poop in shoe joke RT @dcsportsbog As @CindyBoren points out, please, nobody tell Gilbert Arenas that Wall wants the No. 2
@jimmywa11 just felt #2 was a good number

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Drew Gooden got $32 million dollars? Wow.

Hollywood...I like the idea of Brewer. He's unrestricted?

I'd like to see them go for Ryan Gomes too.

When people say Livingston can play the 3...or they would take Livingston over Hinrich...I want to stab them with a pencil.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 1, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

We haven't had an adequate 2 guard since LH left.

...

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I think this is the best post on here today. LH & GA were a great backcourt duo, and it hasn't been the same for either since they split up.

It does point towards the kind of relationship between GA and Wall that would be successful, though, especially since Wall is expected to bring quickness and defensive hustle. The difference is that Wall will be the primary point and distribute the ball on offense, but I don't think that means Gil will have to become just a spot up 3-point shooter. I'd love to see it work.

KH as another guard who can play defense gives the team another look. I don't see NY getting many minutes at this point. He's had a chance to improve over several seasons now and he's just not a consistent player.

I like Miller's all-around game, but I expected he'd be more of a scorer last season. His injury was also a surprise given how durable he'd been as a pro to that point. If we can keep him, I'd like that but I won't be surprised if he leaves.

At the end of the day, I think that Wall and GA should be the starting guards, and I'd love to see them gel as a back court.

Posted by: gophercrow | July 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dellis2010

And how will that DEFINITELY help the Wizards? In other words, will they be able to give that money away, or to who? Who will be coming to the Wizards? More Li's or Hinrich's? I guess they can throw that type of money at "Shaq".

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 1, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Please try to stab me with a pencil...It was just an idea because some older phoenix teams ran a similar formation with Kevin Johnson, Jason Kid and Rex Chapman (i think that was the third guard)...they did quite well too...but hey rather than discussing why it's a terrible idea (as I try to back it up with historical occurrences)you insult. GJ DBag

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

There's no need to give things a chance that are almost certain not to work. Putting the 2010-11 Gil in the backcourt with Wall (and in the locker room with everyone) is asking for trouble. (For one thing, Gil can't guard shooting guards. He can't guard anyone. Defense wins games.)

Posted by: BPupp | July 1, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I think the idea is that THE WIZARDS will SUCK next year in order to get another high draft pick and continue "building through the draft." There are no quick fixes in sports just ask Dan Snyder. Now that we are officially rebuilding we need to suck at least one more year and then maybe we will have the pieces in place to attract a free agent. But overpaying some second tier guy and getting just good enough to sneak into the playoffs and out of the lottery would be stupid.

I know it's tough to watch all the other teams jockeying for position with the best players in the league but unfortunately the Wizards didn't get themselves in position to be a 2010 free agent player in time. Mostly because right now no one wants to play here!

Posted by: mjshabba | July 1, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 9:46 AM

Would playing alongside a 6'6" 200 pound SG who hits 40%3pt constitute the next best thing to ideal world? Because that's why I've been saying NY is more naturally suited to play alongside Wall than either Gil or Hinrich. He's physically superior to either for the position and a better 3pt shooter than either to boot.

Hinrich is subpar offesnively (nickname CaptClank on chicago boards) and Gil is a non-existent defender. It will really be a trial by fire for Wall to have to cover for Gil's utter lack of defense and/or Kirk's inability to carry the scoring load expected of an nba 2.

Obviously NY has his share of issues, but he's a natural SG rather than a combo mess who is always overmatched in one area or another.

Of course, Flip is supposedly instituting a two guard offense that somehow solves those issues, and I assume he knows what he's doing.

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Many DC sports fans need to appreciate the sports versus the "TMZ" side of celebrity and wanting to always crush/destroy people. It's seems really a gay how personal some of you take this gilbert thing when it was more sill/stupid guy type thing, than hardcore crime.

Let me say this clearly: If Gilbert Arenas is healthy the Wizards need to keep and embrace him. The Wizards organization and it's fans need to get over this bout of PMS and do the right basketball thing.

Stop acting like btches!!! Remember how folks were all up in arms over Webber and the weed incidents and the rape allegation. The whole rape thing reeked of chick trying to get paid. But, Abe had enough and traded Webber for a geriatric former all star that had to be on the juice seeing how his game plummeted from just the prior year. Webber's stuff was petty, but the local media acted like he was the son of sam or something.

All of you fans of the Yi and Hinrich moves, if you can explain to me how they make the team better or even competitive I'm ready to read it. Hinrich's $9M might be chump change for the league now, but man that's a lot of money for a player with his skills. if they want to avoid contract mistakes like they have done in the past, why take on a contract in Hinrich's which is very reminiscent of Etan Thomas's contract.

There are a number of 2nd tier free agents out there that would make the Wiz a solid team. I've always thought the Wiz needed a player like Kurt Thomas, a cagey vet and the closest thing to a Charles Oakley in the league today. He'll hit people that come through the lane. the wiz haven't had that in years. but will he come here? other than that Brendan Haywood is available.

I would bet that next year, we will be sitting here talking about Grunfeld trades (Yi and Hinrich) as waste once again.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 1, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oknow1 | July 1, 2010 11:05 AM

I'm flip-flopping and now agree with those who think the main reason for the Hinrich trade was to acquire Seraphin. At what amounts to a cost of $17mill, EGs head is on the block over this young bruiser.

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Name the Wizards that Gilbert had a negative impact on. He played with how many different wizard teammates during his tenure. Name all of the ones he had a negative impact on.

And I know of team defense and zones, but the NBA is primarily man-to-man. When the wizards lost, Gilbert's man was always the reason. He was always being outplayed by the opposing point guard.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

But I also think they like the idea of a cagey vet being able to back up both guard spots and serve as a mentor type player to Wall (in Hinrich i mean)

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Agreed, as apparently, there were other options at the 17th pick that were available and closer to being ready to contribute. Grunfield must have a lot of expectation for Seraphin. Let's hope that he is correct.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

With Daniels Gil always played off the ball at crunch time. Sure, Jordan ran alot of isolation stuff for Gil, but Daniels was playing point. But far more often Daniels came of a high screen and had the option to drive of dish to Gil on the weakside, which normally gave Gil the ball in a 1 on 1 matchup.

Pretty basic NBA stuff. Almost everybody runs stuff to isolate their shooting guard. Last year was the first year that Gil really played almost purely as a point under Suanders.

Gil's played alot of shooting guard in his career, he's just never played with one as talented as Wall. Also for those that might not been paying attention, down the stretch last year Flip installed a 2 guard set in which he split the point responsibilities.

Will be interesting to see if that was a preview of how he'll use Wall/Arenas. That is if Gil's still here, Ted & Ernie aren't shopping Gil, but it sounds like there maybe suitors...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I liked Larry when he was here, but in a basketball sense, it wasn't a blunder to let him leave. Look at the contract he signed, and then look at what he did after he signed it. Larry was a good player when he was able to stay on the floor, but ultimately was too brittle. If he had stayed, he'd likely be getting the same grief Gil does now for not living up to the huge contract he signed. Everyone wants EG to be smarter about not signing players to contracts they don't deserve, and when he does the smart thing, you give him grief for that too.

Where Larry was really missed though is the apparent relationship he had with Gil. Much like we heard about with Derek Fisher and Kobe in the Finals, Larry was a guy who Gil listened to, who might have been able to smooth out the rough edges.

And Lil, I love how you are making these odd, out-of-left-field comparisons. Larry left for the cash, but also to play with LeBron. So it was money and a better opportunity. Mason left for the same. He got a bigger payday, but it was also a chance to play for the Spurs. It's not like Larry left to get a bigger payday from the Clippers or something. I don't recall widespread anger about Larry going for the cash. I just remember the anger towards EG for letting him leave.

I think you're revising history to put things in the light you like (like the MM vs Gil playing injured comparison) but I don't know if they track like you think they do.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11

Javaris Crittendon. :)

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Don't go overboard glorifying Hinrich mentoring Rose. Did he mentor Ben Gordon as well? I did not know that Gordon or Rose were above average defenders. In fact, they are below average. Both Rose and Gordon were ALREADY great at what they did when they were drafted. That's why they were high lottery picks. Michael Ruffin is a "hustle" player. For his undersized self, he was a good rebounder, shotblocker, help defender, and scrappy man defender. Did he get credit for mentoring Haywood, Etan, Blatche, or anybody.

The real mentality of those Chicago Bulls was instilled by Scott Skiles. He was a hard-nosed player who was a hard-nosed coach. When Rose was drafted by the Bulls, even though Skiles was not there, the mentality and reputation was.

Hinrich is not going to make Wall anything that he is not already. He is not going to make him compete on the defensive end if it ain't in him already to do so.

Let's be real!

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

And the truth is that if Serpahin never develops into a great player or if Hinrich doesn't play well, or if anyone anywhere below where Seraphin was picked plays better, or if OKC (who traded for the 18th) does better, or if it's a day that ends in "y", EG will get grief over it. Nature of the beast.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Name the Wizards that Gilbert had a negative impact on." G-Man11

When I say putting Gil back in the backcourt is asking for trouble I mean the guy brings in guns and asks a teammate to pick one. That's a type of negative impact--you never know what he's going to do and in this case his actions led people to fear for their physical safety. But I don't mean he's a cancer or bad guy or anything like that. He's just Gil.

Posted by: BPupp | July 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I meant to say putting Gil back in the LOCKER ROOM is asking for a sort of trouble. (But not of the typical kind.)

Posted by: BPupp | July 1, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Let's be real!

Posted by: G-Man11

I'll agree that 'mentor' is probably too strong a word, but there are definitely things Wall, as a 19 year old kid, can learn about basketball from someone like Hinrich, or Sam Cassell for that matter. Things like playing angles, changing speeds, setting up teammates to get open instead of just hitting the open man. How to play NBA defense, how to take a opponent's favorite spots away from him. Things those guys have had to learn because they aren't as gifted as the kid is. For that matter, I'm sure there are things he can learn from Gil as well.

Wall obviously has way more talent than Hinrich, but to think that there's nothing a 19 year old doesn't need to learn is a little ridiculous. Even though that is an opinion a lot of 19 year olds seem to share.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"Why does it have to be one or the other? It's been said that he has liked Hinrich for years, and also was instructed to pick up extra first round picks. He was able to get a player he likes and a pick and not trade much of anything back. Why does it have to be mainly about one or the other?"

I'm trying to give EG the benefit of the doubt for taking on Hinrich's $17mill salary when everyone agrees he isnt worth that and the club isnt expected to win in the next 2yrs anyway. And I find the notion that Wall needs a mentor to be nonsensical.

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Now you're getting into the "making sense" realm...you know that's going to confuse a lot of people.

Like I said before, having Andray Blatche and Gil being your teams "veterans" doesn't seem like a good idea. People are acting like we signed Lindsey Hunter or something.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11

Javaris Crittendon. :)

Posted by: ts35

My challenge was for someone to name ALL of them. You came up with 1 person(Critt) out of how many? And to be honest, who brought up guns first and made a threat involving them,Critt or Arenas? Who was prepared to carry out the threat he made? Arenas made a threat to blow up Critt's car or something. Was he serious, I don't know, but I have yet to hear or plans to buy explosives to carry out a threat. The mere fact that Critt made the gun threat and had a gun in his possession while Arenas was unarmed, as his guns were on a chair in front of a locker with a note saying "pick one", shows who was armed and ready to back up the threat. By the way, Critt initiated a potential fight as well. But go ahead and blame it on Arenas. That does not mean I condone Gil's joke, but keep it in perspective.

How many teammates did Brendan Haywood or Etan Thomas negatively effect with there long feud and fight? At least 1, each other. They did not bring weapons(to my knowledge), but they did still had a negative impact on themselves and the team. But nobody cared about that. I wonder why.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Wall obviously has way more talent than Hinrich, but to think that there's nothing a 19 year old doesn't need to learn is a little ridiculous."

"I'm sure there are things he can learn from Gil as well."

Absolutely agree with both remarks. Also feel that the biggest thing Wall can learn from Hinrich (as opposed to Arenas) is how to play team ball.

Posted by: EestiLaps | July 1, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

You just said it yourself, Sam "I will not stop talking for 1sec" Cassell is already on the coaching staff. And Flip considers himself Mr.PG already. Wall will get as much pg advice from those two as he could possibly absorb, they are his coaches afterall.

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I would not play Livingston at the 3, but I would definitely keep him as a backup to Wall.

And Sean Livingston v. Kirk Hinrich: On this team Sean Livingston for what he brings to the table is a better fit all the way around.

He can run the point adequately like Wall and keeps Gilbert out of the point. He instantly creates mismatches when he comes in the game, even if he subs for Gilbert.

Kirk Hinrich is just window dressing. Kirk Hinrich will never come close to what Sean Livingston can do on the floor when it comes to floor generalship.

Folks like to point out that he can play D' and can hit a shot. Good, but he isn't a better player than Sean Livingston.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 1, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

And I find the notion that Wall needs a mentor to be nonsensical.
Posted by: divi3

Why? Because a 19 year old kid who's played one-year of college hoops and is an instant millionaire already knows everything he needs to know about the NBA game and life?

We have college graduates who come to work in my office who don't know how to operate in a professional environment, and they're under a lot less pressure.

'Mentor' doesn't mean that Hinrich is going to Obi-Wan or something. He doesn't even have to be Crash Davis to Wall's Nuke LaLoosh (Bull Durham). But he's someone who's played the position at a reasonably high level (middle-of-the-pack NBA PG), so he actually might know some things that could help the kid. Everything also indicates that he's been a solid NBA citizen, and also watched up-close the stuff that Rose went through making the same transition (whether he helped with it or not) so he might be able to provide perspective.

If you're saying that $17M is too much for just a mentor, that's probably true. But again, Hinrich is a player who EG has liked. Whatever his is capable of offering now, it is true that he is a tough (chippy) defensive-minded player, which we don't really have any others of on the team. And he's a vet. And he's played in playoffs. Those are all good things. The price tag might be high, but that doesn't really hurt us over the term of his contract, imo.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

A 19 in the NBA has nightly reality checks unlike the 19-year old sleeping on my sofa thinking someone is going to email, facebook or test him a job! (that was a little personal sidetrack.)

one thing for sure with the NBA is Wall will get challenged. If he is who we think he is he will live up to those challenges in time. he will learn things from Coaches and teammates, including Arenas. but the Wiz aren't a team where anyone takes a plyer under his wing and grooms them to pass a torch so to speak.

The Wiz are scrubs until proven otherwise. Wall has to do a lot of growing on his own. As long as he understands that he will be fine. look at Nick young, Andray Blatche and McGhee as Wiz youngins that don't get that.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

completely agree ts35

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I never had a problem with Hinrich as a player. I like the way he scraps. He is a decent point guard to boot. But I don't know if he sets up players as a great point guard. He never setup players like Rose as a rookie came in doing. What he did do is play with one of the best shooters in the league, Ben Gordon, while Gil was saddled with Stevenson. Gil with the ball in his hand guaranteed Stevenson would at some point be open during the possession.

The threat of Gil opens the floor up for someone. The threat of Wall and Gil moreso. The threat of Wall, Gil, and Blatche even moreso as you get to a point where you can't cheat defensively.

Right now, Wall's strength is speed penetration, not savy. The driving lanes will be wider for Wall with Gil on the court, and vice versa.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I like your thinking G-Man11.

Posted by: FedorEm | July 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

why would he mentor ben gordon? they came out around the same draft (circa 2003-2004)...a more apt comparison is Derrick Rose...Mentoring, as i mentioned before, does not have to do as much as skills (mainly everything Wall will learn is through game tape and experience) as it has to do with bringing a certain amount of professionalism. Taking the game serious. Bringing a solid work ethic to work everyday. These are attributes that Derrick Rose seem to have. I am sure Rose has a lot to do with that, however, it helps to have someone like Hinrich around.

EG may also feel he will be able to contribute on the basketball court as well. That part is debatable ...

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

In the end, the reason Hinrich is a Wizard is that the Wizards wanted another first round pick(Seraphin), not because they wanted Hinrich to mentor Wall. Not because he is a mentor. The Bulls wanted more cap room and didn't want the 17th pick and subsequent salary-cap hit the pick comes with, so they paid Washington to take the pick.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

And to the point that Gilbert has to have the ball, here is my observation.

Running the point and having the ball are two different things. A lot of you are not recognizing that the difference is huge and significant.

Gilbert Arenas cannot run the point and he truly never has. What he has done is covet the ball so he can score.

A point guard covets the ball so the team can score.

Well then one might say that one will conflict with the other. True it could but not on a well coached team.

Pierce is a player who needs the ball in order to score, but Rondo runs the offense and Pierce dosen't get to screw the offensive flow.

Good/great point guards always have the TEAM in attack mode.

Gilbert Arenas does not do that and that is why he is truly a two.

As evidenced last year for the short time that Gilbert did play, we saw him struggle time after time trying to run the team.

Gilbert is simply a scorer and good at it. A Gilbert Arenas controlling the ball will only lead to stats for him and no championships.

A Gilbert Arenas put in his natural role at the two and leaving the team flow to a John Wall could have huge implications, greater than Gilbert has ever experienced.

This is why it takes 2-3 stars to win it all, for a Gilbert by himself controlling the ball can't do it anywhere.

And it is why Gilbert must not seek to control the flow of the team, especially when you have a John Wall that could be a star at running a team.

Even Sean Livingston could run a team better than Gilbert.

But neither of those two guys can score like Gilbert.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 1, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

the bond/relationship you speak of between the two is another good reason to have kept him. Him leaving to play with Lebron,eh i dunno. I know that cleveland is closer to St.Louis where he often had to go visit and help take care of matters for his terminally ill brother (who subsequently passed on shortly after he joined the cavs). But i can recall going back to last year, when the subj of JH and Gil came up, most people looked at it as him taking the money and rolling out, where as a lot of people on here look at the Mason situation as EG lowballing Mase and letting him go. People hold a more favorable opinion of Mase and him being lowballed, VS the brittle Hughes leaving us for the bread. People slant it to make it a situation where Mase was the good guy who got lowballed and LH is the oft injured combo guard who left the team hanging to go play with their mortal enemy LEBRON. I call it a blunder b/c i really feel like LH was the guy you shoulda overpaid to keep. As we both have said Gil hasn't had the relationship he had with LH both on and off the court. The wiz haven't been able to line a guy up next to Gil, who could hold his own since LH left. BTW, I can't remember EVER tripping about any wiz player's contract. If they can get it they deserve it

I won't hide my distaste for MM. That comparison may have been a reach, but it was more so a response to two posts i read yesterday; one calling MM a HERO for playing hurt, and the other admonishing Gil for disobeying doctors orders (over exerting the injury, playing before he was recovered ie, hurt).

don't see how i'm "revising history" more like telling things the way that i saw them happen. I'm super cool with you not agreeing, especially since you usually know what you're talking about. But with regards to the Mason/LH comp and the GA/MM comp i'm just comparing the way that players in similar situations are viewed differently, possibly depending on the public and media's personal perception. It's no secret, kinda like how the authorities wouldn't release Big Ben's milledgeville incident tapes, but Mike Vick's tape comes out the next day.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: merajc86

Agreed, but nothing Hinrich did rubbed off on Gordon either, and that is my point. Gordon is a worse defender than Gilbert(IMO). If you want a better offensively pure point guard to mentor Wall on the cheap, you could get a Steve Blake. You won't get the scrappy defender, but Wall will or will not defend regardless of Hinrich.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Good post LarryInClintonMD...btw my family use to own a pizza movers (changed to pizza bolies) years ago in clinton, md...

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11

G-Man, really? Really? If Arenas did actually owe him money from the game, how about just paying him? It's not like he doesn't have it. I'm not saying Crit isn't responsible for his part, but to put all of it on him instead? C'mon. The rest of what you wrote about it, is just total bs. Whatever Crit did, Gil chose to bring guns in and chose to put them in his teammate's locker with the note. Joke or not, the total absence of good judgement required for just that part of it is mind-boggling. If Gil doesn't pull his joke, Crit might have a career. Of the two of them, one has a long history or immaturity....and it's not Crit. One of them still has an NBA career, and it's also not Crit.

And I gave you the easy answer not the total answer. But the extended answer is 14. As in, the other guys on the roster whose season was tanking already, but went down the tubes because of Gil's immaturity. Beyond that, I can't tell you, because neither one of us is in the locker room. Tell me all of the Wizards he's had a positive effect on, and you'd just be guessing, because you don't know that either.

So if the question is about whether Gil will have a negative impact on Wall, I think it's a fair question to ask (with no easy answer). You look at a guy who went presented with a choice, has a propensity for choosing wrong. Not horribly wrong, not evil wrong, but definitely wrong. So if you have a new young star you're bringing to the team who will end up pairing with him, it's a fair question to ask.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

No, I see your point GMan. Maybe they really do want to trade Gil and Kirk is the insurance policy?

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I wished Hughes would have stayed...yet had EG signed him and he played the way he has since...it would've been same complaining.

$120+ million in your backcourt is never a good idea.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 1, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 1, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

LH was a good compliment to Gil...however, it seems like after he left, he has been either injured or a poor fit ffor every other team. Glad (because of injuries) we did not sign him.

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 12:04 PM

That's always easy for us to say because it's not our money. I'm willing to bet Ted doesnt view it quite that way, and if Seraphin is a dud you can say good-bye to Ernie. $17mill is too much to pay a middling player when you're not looking for that last piece and fully expect to be lotto bound. The mentoring talk is just PR to help justify taking on a guy who is universally considered to be overpaid, imo.

Just a hunch, but I think EGs job security rests on Seraphin's broad shoulders as much as anything else.

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

G-Man11

Look at that--Gil and Blatche used in a sentence about defense that doesn't include the word "no."

Posted by: BPupp | July 1, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

G-Man11

Posted by: BPupp | July 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BPupp

-----

Pretty impressive, huh?

Posted by: EestiLaps | July 1, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@lilhollywood10

Fair enough, I'll buy that in regards to the MM hero-worship, but I don't think it's the same case exactly. Certainly both were at least partially inspired to play because of impending contracts (Gil was preparing to opt out of his).

I think the LH to Mason comparison is a bit tough though, because LH left for $85M and Mason left for what $8M? That's a big basis of the discrepancy right there. People thinking, what EG and Abe, you couldn't find $3M a year for Mason? Cheap basitds. Whereas I think the Wiz offered LH $60-65M as opposed to the $85M Cleveland was offering. So if there is a difference in the perception of the two, I would call that more of a case of scale than anything else.

And I don't recall LH being particularly reviled for it, people were just ticked to see him go to Cleveland. I still see people on these boards saying we should trade for him (remember the Jared Jeffries and Larry Hughes trade offers that people kept posting, what, a year ago now was it?).

To me it just feels like you're reaching a bit for the comparisons to make a case. But that's based on my own recollections, so it's just as likely I'm revising history too.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Larry was a good compliment. He was a injury problem when he was here too. That wasn't new.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 1, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Thats the second time I have seen that comment about Kirk Hinrich being an insurance policy if they trade Gilbert.

That is some cheap insurance. Instead of flowers your donations will be greatly appreciated....

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 1, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

What I like best about this team this year is that I expect them to suck, so if they play even halfway decent ball and win 30 games, I will be OK.

I think the smart road is to see how Gil plays out this year. He will play and if he meshes with our new guys well, then maybe you can keep him. If he doesn't mesh, he'll still be getting his 25 and some playoff bound team will want that come March or Minnesota or Memphis will trade for him come next year's draft.

I just want to see some hustle out there. Like the last part of the season, after the trades and suspensions. our guys were CLEARLy overmatched, but they played hard and outperformed.

I think folks are not giving McGee his due. the guy is a monster. An out of control monster, but a monster none the less.

Let him start and play uintil he fouls out or is too winded to dunk. This year is about getting better and evaluating young talent. Anyone who wants us to buy into the frenzied FA market this year should move to New York or FLA.

Wizards suck mightily, but thats OK.

For now.

Posted by: Blurred | July 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

People seem not to grasp the fact that Hinrich was brought in to be the backup PG/SG. He's not going to be a starter/first option who's going to play 40 mpg. Fretting over whether he's a great setup guy is is like complaining that the 3rd C on the team's depth chart can't split a double team in the post with a reverse up-and-under move.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 1, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I disagree to the extent that Ted obviously signed off on the deal. Safe to say Ted at least reads all of the same stuff we do, so he knows about the OKC / Miami #18 pick deal etc. He obviously was willing up front to pay the $17M. Now *if* EG gave Ted the hard sell on what Hinrich was going to bring to the team and he plays poorly, I'm sure that will factor into Ted's thinking.

And I think EG's job hangs on all of it. If Wall becomes the next Derek Rose or better, the Seraphin pick diminishes in importance (even though the Wall pick was a no-brainer). If Ted has studied like he claims, he knows that all drafts are speculative and not all picks work out. If Seraphin doesn't work out and Booker doesn't work out and N'Diaye doesn't work out, then I'm sure Ted will re-evaluate.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Even Sean Livingston could run a team better than Gilbert.

But neither of those two guys can score like Gilbert.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Larry,
Very astute.

Posted by: VBFan | July 1, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, Hinrich trade brought us the #17 pick, I don't know what Yi's trade brought us.

Posted by: sagaliba | July 1, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Agreed, as apparently, there were other options at the 17th pick that were available and closer to being ready to contribute." Posted by: G-Man11

If you're talking about inside power players, I'm not sure who they would be. Here are the PFs who went after 16 to the end of the first:

Craig Brackins, pick 21: 6'10", 230
Trevor Booker, pick 23
Daniel Orton, pick 29: 6'10, 260

Hassan Whiteside was there, but he's the antithesis of a power inside player. Dexter Pittman is I think a good pick but the weight issue is bound to scare of team docs. That guy could easily show up at camp at 330.

The player I liked, Larry Sanders, was long gone, too.

Outside of Cousins and Favors, it just wasn't a draft for power players.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

What the Wizards are doing is very familiar.

They are doing what Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas in the NFL. Get rid of the veteran players and holdovers that cost money and bring in younger players on short-term deals that make them hungry to perform well.

Yi was the #6 overall pick and for Quinton Ross is a reasoanble project gamble to see if he can develop his game in Washington.

This team won't bring Mike Miller or Josh Howard back. These guys are 30 years old and hit their ceilings years ago in the NBA.

These guys are good bench players for a team like the Lakers or an up and coming team like Oklahoma City.

The Wizards are 2 years away from being back in the hunt for a playoff berth in the #7 or #8 slot.

And they realize this.

In retrospect Pollin mandated that the Wizards resign Arenas and Jamison and then trade the #5 pick for Miller and Foye.

He was simply too old at 84 to have time to wait for the team to rebuild properly after it reached a plateau as a first round playoff team in the 2000's.

A championship was never in the cards for this group.

Abe's heart was in the right place but he saw too much Elvin Hayes in Antawn Jamison and too much Phil Chenier in Arenas.

These players were far more limited in actual on the court production and consistency.

Now, with Leonsis on board the team is dealing with that reality.

And moving on to a better future.

When Abe was in his prime the Bullets were in the NBA Finals 3 times in 5 years and won in 1978.

As with Al Davis, he simply aged to the point he was no longer able to understand the realities of the modern NBA - guaranteed contracts and the cap, etc.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | July 1, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

ts35

I appreciate your willingness to discuss your view, which differ from mine without taking it personally as some do in this forum.

I really do understand your point. Sure Gil should have paid the bet and everything probably would not have happened. One also could say that they should not have been allowed to gamble. If I recall, they don't allow it anymore. But in the end, Gil was joking and found to be joking by the judge. Critt was the threat though. Gil kept pushing the envelope which led to a bad joke. But with no bullets, where is the real career death seriousness? Did he point an unloaded gun? Did Critt know Gil would bring his unloaded guns to the lockerroom? Did Critt feel threatened?

During the past ownership it appears, nobody ever disciplined anybody(except Webber by trading him). Did they not discipline Gil because of the Webber fiasco? Or did they not discipline Gil becuase of the $$$ he was worth to the Wiz? With Ted in leadership and Arenas hopefully) realizing that he made an azz of himself, he will learn from his lesson. Everybody on the team is talking positive and wanting to move forward, with Gil.

Do you give Ted the benefit of the doubt or do you think he is lieing? I give him the benefit of the doubt regarding Arenas. I think Ted ain't fake. I am not saying you are fake so don't get offended when I say this, but there are a lot of fake people in here, I will call out these 2 as such, DC-Man and Bullets78 as fake. Like I said, I think Ted is being real. And he is the owner. He wants to redeem Arenas.

How loyal and grateful do you think Arenas will be to Ted if that is what happens. I don't think Ted "redeeming" Gil has anything to do with his salary either. I think Ted is genuine and remembers the good of Arenas(off the court) too. The fact is Arenas was good for the Wizards on and off the court. But people only want to look at the bad joke.

The other thing is, when they "blew up" the team after the incident, where was the team headed before the incident? Were they headed to the playoffs? I remember Jamison being hurt, then Miller getting hurt twice, both missing games and derailling plans. I remember Gil struggling with rust and a new offense, but getting better and better. I remember Caron sulking and rebelling(ignored a called play to take final shot and blew it). And then the bad joke. They blew up a season that was lost anyway.

Don't underestimate the power of redemption.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

DC_MAN88 and Bulletsfan,

Or worse, they could be forced to read your loser negative blogs everyday. Why do you bother to post? You both sound like two grumpy old men.

Posted by: ged0386 | July 1, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Don't know that I'd pick any of those guys ahead of Seraphin, at least for the Wiz. If they'd managed to snag the 11th selection, they might have gone for Aldrich or Pat Patterson, but I guess Okla City outbid them."

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RoyHobbs4

If you are talking on the court production, outside of defense, Hayes and Jamison are similar. But attitude wise, Hayes could be surly. Jamison is more comparable attitude-wise to Unseld. That is why Abe favored him.

As for Arenas being compared to Chenier, wow. The only thing Phil had on Arenas was his behavior.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

with foye,miller,livingston and Earl all potentially leaving, did you see a guard that we could've added through the draft that could bring what Kirk does to our team. I'm not even saying that he's all of that, but for 17 million over 2 years, you've added a solid playoff tested combo guard that can play d and knock down the open jumper on occasion. Did,chicago overpay?yes. was taking on his contract what it took for us to get another first rounder for a player EG obviously coveted? yes. I'm not looking for kirk to be our pg or sg of the future and neither should any of yall. and as far as seraphin goes, reserve judgement for when they lace'm up. I can recall the most recent influx of these young french africans into the L has worked out ok for the teams that picked them. I can't rattle off all of the guys that have come out, but BOBO in Dallas and Batum in Portland are both examples of young talented and athletic players. Let's hope we got one too.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Chenier was a much better defender, rarely took a bad shot, and was a good teammate. If not for a serious back injury, he likely would have had a HOF career. He was on three teams that went to the NBA finals and others that made it to the conference finals, not to mention the championship team in 1978. You must not have seen Chenier and the Bullet teams of the 70's!

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

i'm kinda amped we got booker. if ya don't like him try to find some footage of clemson games vs UMD. Now if the wiz could only get the terps on 1/3 or their schedule, hmmmmmm...............

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

He abused the entire ACC

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

phil chenier's son can't hoop a lick. Stamp that

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I have no faith in Ernie and he has no discernable plan. The fact he's in charge of the rebuild makes no sense I hope Steady Teddy fires him asap.One player after another has gotten blamed by Ernie and coaches have lost jobs because of it. he brought together the Butler, Jamison, Arenas big 3. That was his failure.He gave Arenas an injured player for the 2 previous seasons 111 million dollar contract when it was unclear if Arenas was ever gonna be the same player.

Now we're stuck with an physically injured mentally unstable Arenas to corrupt the unselfish explosive Wall.

Ernie could have saved us cap space for this summer and jumped into the Fray for Lebron,Bosh and crew.

If the ultimate goal is to contend for titles then grabbing one of these free agents was the way to go. Instead he grabs the aging Hinrich, and a soft chinese tweener in Yi.

we've overpaid for 2nd tiered stars not for 1st tiered ones in this city we've gone the build through the draft route and that hasn't worked either.

We need to dump Ernie and hire Pritchard and move forward its time to blame Ernie now. he's put it on enough people its his fault now.

I am in no way looking forward to watching the small non defending Wall/Arenas backcourt gamble for steals and play like the Golden State Warriors offensively.

I want us to build a traditional team. with strong tough bigs and players who fill roles.

but we're headed back to run and gun hoops that will only frustrate a fanbase once again.

Ernie Gruneld must go.

We need a big but he gave away Haywood who we now need to man the center.

the only asset we have for trade purposes is Wall and he's not an option. I love the kids game.

sorry Ernie your time should be up. hopefully once ted makes the transition into hoops he'll bring in his own guy and send you packing.

I never liked the idea of leaving the man in charge to rebuild who actually caused the colllapse.

Posted by: jrwalkerivory | July 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89

I remember those teams. I am not willing to over-rate Chenier as a Hall of Famer if not for his back injury though. He was a good player and team-mate. Arenas had his career derailed by injuries too. Chenier was never the 4th quarter assassin Gil proved to be and Chenier paid the 2-guard position at 6'3", 180lbs.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Don't underestimate the power of recidivism, either.

Which is the real question from the organization's perspective. Which Gil are they getting? Redeemed Gil, or will Gil revert to form once the pain from this incident fades?

I do take Ted at his word, generally. I think he is interested in allowing Gil to resume his career, for several reasons. One of them being innate humanity and the other being good business sense. I do think he generally wants what is best for Gil overall, but I think he also recognizes that he has few other appealing options. If he had other options, would the story be different?

To that point, I asked a while ago if Ted was going to similarly embrace Crit and resign him in that overwhelming spirit of redemption. The notion was roundly laughed off of these boards. Why not re-embrace Crit as well? Because he has no basketball (business) value at this point.

But from the larger perspective, from the organization's side, should they have legitimate concern about reintegrating Gil into what will likely be a younger (and therefore potentially more impressionable) team? He may indeed have had his 'come to Jesus' moment of clarity. Or he may revert to form as he has done in the past. As a multi-million dollar organization how do you allow for the chance at redemption while still protecting yourself from the at least as likely chance that he reverts for to form.

I think Ted so far has done about a good a job as is possible of it. Laying out for Gil that he has a chance, but not a lot of leash. I do agree that the organization before Ted has done a poor, poor job of enabling Gil to act the way he does, but he's also a grown man, so there's only so much I willing to hold their feet to the fire for in that regard. But no doubt, they should have suspended him a game for a variety of things, just like they should have suspended AB for the whole not-going-back-into-the-game thing, or rather, the lipping off about it afterwards.

Posted by: ts35 | July 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Jamison couldn't hold Elvin Hayes jock strap!!!

Do any of you recall the entire Cap Centre chanting "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" calling for the patented turn around jumper? The NBA was different then. you just couldn't put up 20 and 10 and not play any defense like Jamison. you had to be a complete player because the player you played against was darn near as good as you. and Elvin Hayes was a complete PF. he may have had a bad attitude, but back then all you cared about and knew about was what happened on the court. and for what it's worth, they all played on the court.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 1, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"does anyone in their right mind think when Arenas see's Wall's picture on the building and see's all the reporters around the locker of Wall's after the game that Arenas will be able to handle that. Or when down the stretch of games Flip goes with a play for wall instead of Arenas that he's gonna be content with that."

Given his situation, he has no choice but to be content with it. Oh wait, his situation is that he's guaranteed $80mill from the organization so long as he shows up and puts on a uniform. Guess we'll be counting on him having become quite mature instead then.

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

how does everyone feel about travis outlaw because he is a definite possibility here

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

ts35

I agree with what you are saying. And I am not saying not get rid of Gil. But I don't want to get rid of it for the "player to be named later" or in other words "cap-space". I don't think Ted wants that either as it is no guarantee that you will replace Gil with as talented a player. That means no to Vince Carter and the 1 year left on his contract. The bird in hand is worth two in the bush scenario.

From a basketball standpoint, I'd rather err on the side of a Gil/Wall combo with Gil playing better than his last year numbers, than a Wall/?Please will some star player play for my money combination.

Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and all those folks realize that you need more than 1 star. We got Wall(hopefully he will reach his potential) as 1 star, then we got nobody else but Arenas.

The other day on Comcast, ex-Virginia player Jr. Burrough was being interviewed. I don't know whether to trust his opinion, but he said he had seen Arenas play recently and was raving about what he saw. He said "I believe!". In other words, he could be healthier and better than last year.

I saw game 5 of Cav-Wiz when Gil was about 23, 24 years old last night on ESPN2. Gil had 40-something points and I remember. He was on-fire. That was Agent0. I don't know if he can attain that level or what Jr. Burrough saw or "Believed!", but he can be close.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

one thing about Gil, he isn't gonna mouth off about his game. his game does the talking. He's gonna come into camp and give it his all. Let's just hope he's healthy.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 1, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"Did Okc spend $17mill on getting that pick? This is why I think EG played a pretty risky hand, he spent $17mill to acquire a player we dont actually need so as to move up just high enough in the 1st round to get a guy who is a project. If it doesnt work out, the standard excuses about hindsight wont really apply because there are an array of other moves that could have been made when you're willing to accept a $17mill contract.Posted by: divi3"

Are you saying that he could have gotten a higher pick if he'd taken on somebody else's big contract? Like whose?

Here's your chance to predict the future.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I gotta admit, it's with some trepidation that I discuss anything with Divi, who's already demonstrated his eagerness to ignore the NBA combine height and speed measurements as well as its 3 pt. FG% stats. I just don't know which aspect of reality he'll dismiss next.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 1, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Samson151

You are one of the few bloggers whos opinion I actually read and value. You dont come on to trash teams or the players. I actually get somehting out of what you post, even if I dont always agree. Thanks.

Posted by: ged0386 | July 1, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

flohrtv,

Sorry

Peace

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

when all this is said and done at the end of the day were all wizards fan's. we all want what ever decision's the fo make to work out. We all have suffered for year's with the bad fo move's and injurie'sof our star player's and selfish play. but one thing we all agree on is Go! zard's.

Posted by: dakel76 | July 1, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 1, 2010 2:29 PM

Or conversely, how will Wall react when he finds out that Gilblert can PLAY? How will Wall react when he finds out that Gilbert is really about winning and willing to do anything it takes to win it all?

Oh ye' of little faith that think John Wall will need Gilbert to bow and scrape because he is the new number one draft pick.

Please!!!

How much do you really know about basketball. This is the NBA, not Kentucky.

You earn your cred' in the NBA. John Wall will have to earn his and Gilbert Arenas will have to earn his as well.

When Majic Johnson's picture was banished off of everything in the country when he tested + for HIV, you think he cared about what somebody thought of him or whose picture was replacing his?

Do you seriously think that Gilbert Arenas will let jealousy against John Wall ruin his quest to prove to himself, the NBA, and anybodyelse whom have doubted him that he is truly a true professional and a good person to boot?

Divi3, if you really believe that Gilbert is that vain, then you have truly underestimated how Gilbert got this far in this world.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 1, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"Awl...8'er, off the meds again and talking to yourself. Next they'll be scrapping you off Gil's fence again. I bet those guys have a jacket that will fit you just fine...

Dinnou,

Scheyer was co ACC player of the year. That speaks for it's self...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse "

Awww, the old fart with the bad back finally built up the strength to log in and do some typing.

Keep acting weird like you usually do...and they'll send you another straight jacket.

Weirdo.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 1, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I think we should not sign anyone else that isn't on our summer league team

Posted by: Blurred | July 2, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse