Gilbert Arenas back in Chicago for 'maintenance'

Kobe did work. Gilbert's doing maintenance. (Getty Images)

While the Wizards worked out the soon-to-be face of the franchise on Thursday, the man who once occupied that position, Gilbert Arenas, was back in Chicago getting himself ready for a fourth comeback. I bumped into famed trainer Tim Grover at Staples Center before Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday and he told me that Arenas has been at his Attack Athletics training facility for the past two weeks getting back in shape.

Grover, who earned his reputation working with Michael Jordan, told me that since Arenas is healthy, he is doing a slightly different program than last summer, when he decided to rehabilitate his surgically repaired left knee. Grover said that Arenas will likely use some of the same exercises and training techniques he used before. Arenas is there primarily for "maintenance" of what he did last summer, which was centered around weightlifting and strengthening the areas around his knee, Grover said. Arenas is expected to stay in Chicago throughout the summer.

Arenas's third comeback season was shortened not by injury but by his infamous gun dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton (The incident has now made Arenas a pop culture reference, with rapper Jay-Z dropping Arenas's name in the leaked track from Dr. Dre's long-awaited "Detox" album. Jay-Z rhymes, "I'm trying 2 grow but I just can't seem'na/I'm having trouble cleaning up. I'm like FEMA/All these little haters got me back with the nina/Got me bringing guns 2 work/Gilbert Arenas").

Arenas was able to play the first 32 games of the season, with the only near hiccup coming on Nov. 10 in Miami, when he initially was a scratch after suffering a strained left calf but decided to start at the last minute. Grover happened to be in Miami at the time to check on Arenas and spoke with him for several minutes after the game, in which Arenas set a franchise record with 12 turnovers.

Arenas continued to push along until he sabotaged his season by bringing four guns to the Verizon Center locker room. But from talking to some people close to Arenas, the 50-game suspension may have been a blessing in disguise by allowing him to really get healthy and take some pressure off his left knee. Arenas wasn't fully back and ready to handle the rigors of an 82-game season last year, but he might be better prepared this time around.

Grover was at the Finals working with series MVP Kobe Bryant. Bryant had Grover and his assistant, Mike Procopio, join him in Boston and stay with him through the end. He even praised Grover and Procopio after winning his fifth NBA title.

"He's my Jack Bauer," Bryant said of Grover Procopio, referencing the lead character in the television series "24." "He gave me all the edits and scouting reports and wrote defensive rotations of the Celtics. He was my eyes and ears so when I played the game, I'd use all the scouting reports and all the information and it was huge for me."

By Michael Lee  |  June 18, 2010; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kobe Bryant knows what a Game 7 victory would mean
Next: Predraft workouts to continue on Monday

Comments

Detox? Please.. Ron Artest has a new single called June Champion on Interscope.

That's what's poppin in the streets!

Posted by: elfreako | June 18, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumors that Gil has porked up to around 240 pounds?? If true, he's got A LOT of "maintenance" to do.

Posted by: bobabuie | June 18, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Healthy or not, I do not see Zero being a running mate to this kid.

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 18, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping to hear that Gil was back in Chicago. Interesting news that Gil didn't consider himself fully healthy last season.

I thought he played somewhat tentively, but I also thought that he was feeling his way along in Flip's offense. He never did quite have his long range touch back, but three ball range is all about legs. If Gil wasn't conident in his legs, it would be hard to feel it from three land.

Another summer in Chicago should help all that, so far Gil seems to be making the right moves to making a sccessful comeback.

I hope McGee and Blatche were watching game 7 and the mauling that was going on under the hoop. That was some seriously physical basketball going on down low. If M&B want to play in game 7 of the finals they better be doing some serious work in the gym. Because these finals were definetly all about who won the battles on the boards on any given night.

Another thing last night pointed out is that you don't win young in the NBA. Larry, got to agree with you regarding the core of talent that the Wiz have the chance to put on the floor. It's just going to take some time for it to mature.

McGee and Wall will be two serious pcs. to that winning puzzle and they're both still really kids. Blatche and Gil are the vets now. Both are going to have to assume team leadership roles that they've never had before. Interesting that Ted's provided a photo op of them watching workouts with the team brass.

Part of meeting expectations is having someone put those expectations in front of you. Mr Leonsis has an interesting style, hope Gil and Dray are picking up on the cues that we're seeing.

I hope Gil was also paying attention to how "big brother" Jamison conducted himself, because in many ways that's Gil's new role. Wall is the brash young talent ready to take the league by storm. Gil needs to be the steady vet who Flip knows he can rely on every night for production.

Blatche needs to become the third wheel of a new big three. The kid needs to go into this season knowing that he's expected to produce every night. He doesn't have to average 20/10, but he's got to live with that being the bar he's expected to be reaching for.

He's got the talent, now he has to have the work ethic to do it night after night.

Blatche and Gil step up, and there's the core of a team here, winning might not be as far off as it looks...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MeviousMan | June 18, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

insider says gil is around 210 215...they say he looks better then last year...and him and wall are great friend but they wont admit becuz dan fegan doesnt want them to play together...dan wants wall by himself and gil to orlando with his other client dhoward...i hope it doesnt happen wall and arenas we a great one 2 punch

Posted by: MrNoOne | June 18, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"I never want to hear the term "Big Three" ever again."

Same here.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 18, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv

Even though he's a kid, Wall already seems a little more mature. Hopefully they will mesh well together and Gil's positive characteristics (work ethic, love of hoops) come through more than some of his negative ones.

I never want to hear the term "Big Three" ever again. Please bury that along with the qualifying antecedent: "When healthy." Posted by: MeviousMan |

Amen.

Posted by: ts35 | June 18, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I won't mind hearing "Big Three" if they earn the name. Not just after a good game or two. If they all go to the All Star game then ..... maybe.

Posted by: VBFan | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully that was a one-way ticket to Chicago.

Surely Thibs and co. could use some depth in that backcourt.

Posted by: BMoreChil | June 18, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Loenins mentions new uniforms on his blog today: "Today is another crazy day. Off to review the NHL draft, the NBA draft, and some designs for new Wizards jerseys for an out year, followed by a Nationals game tonight." Rock the Red BABY!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | June 18, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Washington should sign Iverson.
Any thoughts

Posted by: cilp33 | June 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Clip33, that is interesting. I think Washington should sign Inverson only if Gil is traded. Otherwise, no.

Posted by: demonj21 | June 18, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Under no circumstances should Iverson be brought here. None.

Posted by: bobabuie | June 18, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | June 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: dcinmd1 | June 18, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Hearing the big three is like hearing Blatche is a 20 and 10 guy. You just have to place a asterisks by it with the following statement, for one week at home against sub 500 teams when no one was mad at him. "

HA! Post of the day!

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Gil's in Chicago for maintenance. Got to clean the barrel, replace the springs, get the sights aligned, maybe have some silencers added.....

Just jokes people, just jokes.

Posted by: ts35 | June 18, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"If Gil was 215 I doubt Stern would have noticed he needed to lose weight. Then agin, maybe he was just being a prick"

I'm pretty sure he was being a prick regardless.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 18, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Washington should sign Iverson.
Any thoughts

Posted by: cilp33 | June 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Laughter.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

nobody cares....he's done nothing for 3 years except attract attention for things he's not paid - a whole lot of money - to do. if it weren't for the contract, he wouldn't be on the roster.

Posted by: outrbnksm | June 18, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Washington should sign Iverson.
Any thoughts

Posted by: cilp33 | June 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I think you should let others do the thinking.

Iverson is broke down and old. When he had game, it was HIS game, not a team game.

Even if he could still play, his attitude would kill any morale.

Posted by: jacksonward1 | June 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Arenas will play here next season and stay out of trouble and show everyone why he got that contract...

Wall, Arenas, Mcgee, Blatche is a good, young lineup. Who plays 3?

Posted by: jacksonward1 | June 18, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

The next few weeks should be very exciting for the Wiz fans ... beginning with the draft next Thursday and the free agent open market on July 1. I'm curious to see if Ted and EG make a play for Josh Howard, or some veteran swing man who can run the court and finish. And then we really need some beef underneath, guys that play hard on defense and the boards.

I'm in the "nobody cares" camp on Gil. I'm just waiting for him to improve his marketability.

Posted by: zinger1 | June 18, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Arenas will come back with a vengeance. I'll be cheering on #6 like crazyyyyy.

Posted by: iamse7en | June 18, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

More draft picks, Please! Even second rounders.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 18, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

stern said he spoke with gil on the phone..and gil said he needed to get in shape and that was a month ago... insider says hes not #6 hes another number and thw wiz reported it to get headline...but my insider says he is not #6 or 0...wow...im liking him even more becuz all this drama around him and he hasnt spoke yet

Posted by: MrNoOne | June 18, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"(The incident has now made Arenas a pop culture reference, with rapper Jay-Z dropping Arenas's name in the leaked track from Dr. Dre's long-awaited "Detox" album. Jay-Z rhymes, "I'm trying 2 grow but I just can't seem'na/I'm having trouble cleaning up. I'm like FEMA/All these little haters got me back with the nina/Got me bringing guns 2 work/Gilbert Arenas")."

OK this is my nominee for worst POS verse of the year.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 18, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiji1 | June 19, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

i wouldn't have iverson on the team if he were paying his own salary. the guy is a team killer. and still thinks he's a star. probably too many "homeboys" kissin his unowut so they can still get paid.

Posted by: dcjazzman | June 19, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Gilby, here's a clue.

You'll never feel healthy again...not after 3 surgeries.

You're not going to be your same ole self anymore....running, dunking, blowing by people.

If anyone was paying attention during Gilby's halfway house stay, he was balling with some people there and they said he was tentative and that he had to seriously ice up his knee even after pickup games with middle aged men at the halfway house.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack5 | June 19, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack5 | June 19, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack5 | June 19, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack5 | June 19, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

"HATERADE! HATERADE! GET YOUR FREE HATERADE HERE!So many GIL haters! Do we want to win games or get A's in Public Perception 101? I'm glad Gil is still here and I will wear my "0" Jersey PROUDLY! If you don't want him here, go root for Philly or NJ, they're pretty close to DC area! GO GIL! Hope they bring back Josh Howard too!

Posted by: zack5 | June 19, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse "

Too bad for you, this is not the hood league.

It's the NBA, so Stern does care about the NBA image.

And yes, Gilby doused himself with flammable "haterade."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 19, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but...

RIP, Manute Bol, I was a young Bullets fan we drafted you, I couldn't believe anybody could be that tall and not be a total goof on the basketball court. You sure were fun to watch, and seemed like a really nice guy, thanks, you will be missed...

Posted by: ketz87 | June 19, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Hood League it may be! Let's see! Kobe-Acused of Rape in Co., Ron Artest-souse beating,proven and admits crazy! P double- Stabbed hanging it a hood pool hall. Lamar Odom- A Hollywood reality show, KG- Not able to pass SAT after multiple attempts (I think thay gave him the answers at one sitting) Ray Allen- Best known as "Jesus" in a Spike Lee Joint. I could go on but those are a few playing in the finals. Point? Nothing wrong with a few "hoods" if they can help you win!

Posted by: zack5 | June 20, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: zack5 | June 20, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse "

Charges dropped against Kobe.

Ron ron took his penalty like a man and didn't throw a hissy fit by whining about his team tossing him aside like a used rubber.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 20, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

BTW....winning?

Meaning Kobe, Ron Ron, Lamar, and Ray Allen...all NBA champs.

Gilby? Not quite.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 20, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

when the gilbert cry and had and whine about the wiz tossing him to the side...i never read a quote from him SAYIN THAT...well i havent heard a quote from him since jan 5 ..

Posted by: MrNoOne | June 20, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

We've now been waiting 3 full years for Gilbert to get fully healthy. 3 years ago, he was a top 10 player. I pray that he reattains this status, but at this point I do not have the hope I once had.

Gilbert is a charitable and likable man who made a mistake and violated DC's regulatory laws, which happen to be the most Draconian in the nation. He has served his time and done his criminal punishment. We should welcome him back and hope that he has rehabilitated.

Posted by: Dellis2010 | June 21, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

its funny how people say im waiting for the old gilbert..well last year everybody was sayin i HOPE he doesnt come back trying to avg 30 points we hav two more allstars that can score he should avg 21 8 asst thats all we need from him to win....well he was avg 22 7 4.....but the other 2 allstar wasnt avg there 20 like we thought..if any other guard had those numbers he would hav been all nba 3 team..but we wanna trade him....wow we know basketball

Posted by: MrNoOne | June 21, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

John Wall will free up Gilbert to be the scoring guard on this team. Al Thornton will bring physical play AND scoring from the small forward spot. Andray Blatche will silence his critics by holding his own against opposing power forwards, night in and night out.

My only concerns are whether JaVale McGee has put on any upper body muscle mass, and whether Leonsis/Grunfeld are smart enough to keep Nick Young and Shaun Livingston on the roster.

Posted by: musicmanjr | June 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"People, don't be concerned about Gil. If Gilbert returns at 85% of his pre-injury form, the Wizards will be in great shape to return to the playoffs.

Posted by: musicmanjr | June 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse "

Funny...at 100%, Gilby couldn't do anything in the playoffs.

Funny...no one to date has asked Gilby what he thinks about playing the 2, and specifically, guarding the bigger, faster, and stronger 2's out there.

Gilby will run his knee ragged chasing guys around screens.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 21, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

sure sign Iverson...then hire Jim Mora and Dennis Green for the coaching staff and Washington instantly vaults to the top of the NBA in press conference soundbites!

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | June 22, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse