John Wall: 'Don't let your attitude stop you from being something special'

John Wall let NBA.com shadow him for two workouts in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C. I've personally witnessed Wall working and he goes hard, rarely pausing for water or Gatorade breaks. It's impressive to see a 19-year-old kid with this sort of work ethic and commitment. He's far from a finished product, but he definitely has the right attitude about how to make the most of his career. This video is another example of his hunger to get better and not settle.

By Michael Lee  |  June 22, 2010; 11:07 PM ET
Categories:  John Wall , NBA draft  | Tags: John Wall, NBA draft, Washington Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards attempting to move up in draft
Next: Ted Leonsis's 'Open Note to Wizards Fans'

Comments

l-o-v-e, love this kid. gonna be a supadupastar

Posted by: dfresh58 | June 22, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm bought in, drunk the kool-aid.

let's go Wiz!

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | June 23, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I just read that Andrew Bynum was going to the World Cup. Is he a soccer fan? Any other NBA players into the World Cup?

Posted by: llgg23 | June 23, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Except for March Madness, I did not follow college basketball much last year, so I gotta admit, I was not wholeheartedly on the John Wall bandwagon -- BUT -- the more I see and hear from this kid, the more I warm up to him and get excited about the prospect of him in a Wizards uniform.

Posted by: bazookajoe1 | June 23, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

i've always felt "too bad there's not a big guy available this year". the history of point guard #1s is not pretty. the work ethic is a great sign thou.

Posted by: stevie2 | June 23, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

a 19 yr old givin advice to "kids". i luv it. but seriously, Wall has the opportunity to be a great role model for young black men today. he seems to have an uncommon focus and work ethic, when compared to my young bros. I'd luv to see young guys from DC looking up to a guy like Wall, who's faced some adversity (personally) and still found a way to reach all of his goals while doing thinds the right way.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 23, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I was listening to John Calipari yesterday on the Fan and he was extremely high on Wall.

He said he knew from day one on campus that Wall would go tops in the draft. It wasn't until Dec and Feb respectively when he knew it about Deron and Tyreke.

Another, interesting thing he said and he ought to know better than me, was that Sam Cassell would be an tremendous teacher for Wall and that Flip Saunders would be a tremendous game coach for Wall.

He reiterated several times that Wall is the type of player that is a game changer and that he and Gilbert together, whom he also called a game changer would be huge for the Wizards.

From his perspective, there isn't any question that Wall and Gilbert can not only play together, but would be a force to be reckoned with by other NBA teams.

Wow!!!

He said that the Wizards with what they have now are very close to being extremely better than people anticipate. And that he would look at bringing in a FA(big) that could help them.

His outlook on the Wizards chances with the right additions is just as promising as we were last year with the big 3.

CanYaBelieveThat!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 23, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Elfreako,

Whats up? I saw yesterday you jamming on me for using my own name on the blog.

But thats cool. I chose to use my own name purposely for varied reasons.

Blogs give us all an opportunity to author our own opinions sotospeak'. So I am very comfortable using my name and also disguising it as well.

For I am sure there are plenty of Larry's In Clinton MD.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 23, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD,

Man I am a fan of your posts. I read the comments everyday and you are more informative than the article sometimes. I am from Southern MD and I pass through Clinton when I go home to visit.

I agree with John Cal. If we get a quality veteran big that can teach JM, and use the second pick to draft a young physical 4, we are on our way. I still believe that for right now, how quickly we become a contender relies on GA. If he can stay healthy, and he and JW can co-exist in the backcourt, we are on our way.

EG may not realize it, but his job is on the line. If JW doesn't work out and/or the team does not improve quickly, EG is history.

Finally, some excitement about the draft...

TEliasB

Posted by: TEliasB | June 23, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy about John Wall but wizards have two other draft picks that are critically important and they want another. Larry Byrd publicly said he would trade a no. 10 draft pick for a pg and wizards openly said they wanted another draft pick. The question is how bad do EG and Ted want that pick. Would they trade Gilbert?

Posted by: jefferu | June 23, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if I agree with this. Uncle Ted has said that he wants to build through the draft, with youngsters. He knows from his experience with the Capitals that that is not a quick path to success, and he has already indicated that he expects next year's Wizards team to struggle. If Wall goes bust, that might very well doom EG and/or Flip, but since Wall seems to be the consensus no. 1 pick, it could be said that the league's judgement was wrong, not just EG's. I don't know how long EG's "rope" is, but I suspect that it's longer than just this year.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | June 23, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The question is how bad do EG and Ted want that pick. Would they trade Gilbert?

I think the real questions are whether the Pacers would want Arenas at his near-max salary and, if so, whether the Wizards would want the contracts that the Pacers would have to include in the deal to make it work under the cap. If it was just a question of trading Arenas straight up for the no. 10 overall pick, I think the Wizards would make that deal twice.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | June 23, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Watching Wall play in college, he gave me the impression that his game was better suited for the NBA. Kentucky had a load of talent, but few pure shooters to spread the floor. The few times they were beaten teams packed the lane and took their chances against their shooters.

Right now that's the one flaw to Wall, if a guy's playing off him to try and cut off the drive, Wall's not a real good pull up jump shooter. And if team's are packing the lane in the half court, he's going to struggle to create sometimes.

That said, I think Kentucky's half court offense was simpler then many High School teams, Rick wasn't trying to out X and O anybody last year. With four one and dones I don't think he wanted to waste half a year on installing an offense. Though it might of helped come NCAA time.

Wall will definetly have a learning curve to get up to speed in Flip's offense. For now he'll be most comfortable running the break, he's one of the fastest guys end to end I've ever seen, and he finishes well at the hoop, or hits guys running the floor with the best of them.

McGee will just love running the floor with this guy. Thorton is another guy that could shine getting some easy looks in the break. Young's another guy who's confidence and game will grow off of getting some easy looks from running the break with Wall.

If Gil can get some of his ole' mojo back, this will be a fun team to watch.

Flip just needs to preach that the break starts with D, defend, box out, get the ball, and get it to Wall and then fill a lane and have some fun...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | June 23, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

TEliasB,

Thanks for the love. It's good to know that ones own thoughts and opinions can be appreciated.

I do agree though with rufus_t_firefly in that EG might have a bit more rope with Ted than just this year.

I think with Ted's imprint on the team that EG would have to turn into a bungling idiot to screw this up in a year.

Ironically, if we keep Gil and also Livingston and add a big guy, I think things will work well for EG.

On the other hand, Flip's performance could easily have a one year window on it. The coaching decisions cannot be as questionable with Flip as it was last year.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 23, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It's funny how much better I feel about this draft and John Wall compared to last time we had the number one overall pick and went with Kwame. Wall seems legit, and should have all the skills necessary to excel right away in the NBA as long as he stays healthy that is. GO WIZ and hell yeah USA that was a sick strike from Donovan

Posted by: sloozebury | June 23, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Resign livingston,Thorton and trade for Gortat from the magic and use those late pic's on two four's and i like our chances to make it back to a competitive team on a nightly basis.

Posted by: dakel76 | June 23, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse