John Wall scheduled to work out for Wizards on June 17

John Wall was hoping to work out for the Wizards this week, so that he could kill two birds with one stone: He's not much of a baseball fan, but he was interested in watching Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg make his debut against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Tuesday.

It doesn't seem that Wall will have a chance to catch Strasburg's first pitch at Nationals Park, but the Kentucky freshman has already made plans to work out for the Wizards on June 17. The Wizards also plan to work out Ohio State junior Evan Turner, but they fully intend to take Wall first overall on June 24.

Ready to see what I got next Thursday? (AP Photo)

I bumped into Wall after Game 2 of the NBA Finals on Sunday night. He moved through the hallway of Staples Center like a rock star, with people seeking his autograph, stopping to shake his hand and congratulate him. This, after Ray Allen's exciting, record-breaking performance in Boston's 103-94 victory over the Lakers. Wall seemed to be in a rush, with his adviser, Dwon Clifton, trailing behind. "It was hard getting him through all of those people," Clifton said, as Wall used his first bit of open space to dart out of the arena.

Wall had just returned from New York, where he had a photo shoot for ESPN the Magazine on Saturday. He was in Boston the day before, meeting with Reebok to discuss a possible shoe deal. Reebok is looking for a new player to build its empire around with Allen Iverson retiring last season. Industry insiders contend that Reebok has been targeting Wall for some time. I heard that they were planning a special presentation and that the meeting went pretty well. Wall, though, has options. Nike and Maryland-based Under Armour are also in play, according to sources.

I didn't know where he was rushing to after the game on Sunday -- until I found out that his "big bro" LeBron James was throwing a house party in Los Angeles for Wall and some other young prospects and rookies-to-be, including Minnesota's Jonny Flynn. Wall is close with James after attending his camp in high school and I asked him about his relationship with James when I met with Wall last week. He said he sought advice from James all last season, and James even attended a Kentucky basketball game and formed the "Y" as cheerleaders spelled out the name.

"LeBron had so much hype coming out of high school, I had a lot of hype, though not as much, with him going to the NBA," Wall said. "But when you look at how [Cleveland] kept building and getting better. LeBron wasn't as good as he was, but he took every summer to get better and keep developing. He turned a losing program into a winning program, a powerhouse."

Wall said James has helped him get prepared for what's ahead, should he go No. 1, as expected. "It's going to be a tough process," Wall said James told him. "They are going to take shots at you, see if you can play in this league, see if you can take the hits. All you can do is ask for advice, but you've got to go in and put in the work yourself."

The Wizards will get their own private look at Wall's work next week, when he has a workout scheduled on the same day as a possible Game 7 in the NBA Finals.

By Michael Lee  |  June 7, 2010; 2:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: High praise for latest group of predraft invitees
Next: Ted Leonsis officially owner of the Wizards

Comments

Seeing the effect Rondo has it makes it understandable why Wall is supposed to be the number one pick; that said, I like Cousins - you cannot tell me that he would not be the better pick if both players fulfilled their potential. The only reason not to pick him is you are scared of his attitude. I don't know of any reason not to take that chance.

Posted by: h20law2000 | June 7, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Trust me on this.

Cousins looked good last year because Wall MADE him look good.
Don't be surprised in a few years if Wall is the only Wildcat from the 2010 draft to play in an NBA all-star game.

Count me in the bunch who would like to have Mike Miller starting at the '3' next sesaon making the MLE money of course. I know dude gets injured frequently but he rebounds and passes so well plus he will balance the floor nicely.

Watching Ray Allen last night kind of put me back on the side of resigning M&M.

It might be possible to bring back Singleton and Livingston for the balance of Foye's qualifying offer ($4.8 million to start I believe). Man that would be get this roster cooking with grease...

Livingston and NY off the bench? Not bad. Plus SL will help keep Nick focused when they run together.

Posted by: elfreako | June 7, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm a HUGE Laker's fan but would love to see my Hometown Wizards finally stop disappointing or rise to the top consistently with the likes of Boston, Cleaveland, L.A., Orlando, Chicogo, Oklahoma and other teams who are positioned for years to come to make a run at a couple of NBA finals and win one. First the Shanahans (& Donovan) now the Wizards..I just hope we finally see results during the actual seasons and not continued this eternal tease and then punch to the belly. For now it's still go LAKERS and I'm watching for John Wall and a couple more picks or pieces to bring the wins and glitz to D.C...A couple of nice intelligent drafts and FA to turn my beloved Redskins around..it's been too long in the Nations Capital..

Posted by: anointedebony | June 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Lebron's offcourt activities are really interesting. He's building a network, not to mention a potential empire.

Posted by: joe2chase | June 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I hope Wall and the Wizards understand that he will need a LOT of help to succeed in the near future

The Wizards need to sign some solid guys or else Wall will be wasted

Posted by: Bious | June 7, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I just really hope that this year's draft will be the beginning of the Wizards chosing a personality and molding their team appropriately.

Maybe they will decide to become a long, versatile, and athletic team that controls the boards looks to push the ball in transition. Who knows?.. But, I just hope they choose a path and stick to it. Too often teams think they are just making a small tweak and they destroy the chemistry of the team (*see Philly adding Brand).

It would be easy to see the two teams that are in The Finals and think that you have to be halfcourt team, but the real key is to be effective on both ends of the court and build a team w/strong intangilbles.

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzWiz

And the last team that won a title that wasn't a halfcourt team?

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Being a team that rebounds and pushes the ball in transition and being an effective halfcourt team are not mutually exclusive. Most legit contending teams (and certainly most teams that actually win titles) are reasonably effective at both. Teams that only focus on one to the exclusion of the other tend to be more vulnerable.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 7, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards need to sign some solid guys or else Wall will be wasted

Posted by: Bious | June 7, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Wall is a not yet tested future superstar.It is not must to sign some body with big money this season,if they get another young player that could be a tandeum with him this season it is good, other wise they need to be ready for big market next season.
If lebron go to bulls, Deng can not fit with him. I think he is left with 3 years from his 72 million 5 year contract, could it be wise to get him in washington?

Posted by: gtefferra | June 7, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Imagine....Wall, LeBron, Gilbert, Blatche....and maybe Stoudemire or Bosch or Melo next year......

Oh....Please dont wake me up !!

Posted by: US-conscience | June 7, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to come down on the side of both Wall and Cousins being really good. Just fortunate they happen to play the two most important positions. Cousins was helping himself at the Combine with his measurements until they got to the weight. Then came the interviews and he scared off some candidates for his services... My guess is he winds up at Sacramento, which is a perfect place for him. They may improve faster than the Wiz do.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I like that Wall is a gym rat. I also like that he isn't as fazed by this as say a Kwame Brown, who was totally unprepared for coming into the league, particularly as a Number One.

I like Cousins too. But his downside is that his attitude and demeanor remind me of that typical Pro Sports knucklehead type (Zack Randolph, JR Rider, etc.) who will be even worse once the cash starts flowing.

Look how long it has taken Zack to clean up his image and he still got linked to some nonsense here within the past week cause he can't break ties with those crabs from his past; they keep pulling him back and he lets them. I see Cousins being that same type donkey who either drinks or drugs or eats or doesn't keep his bipolar in check and let's that takes him out of the league way before his time.

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 7, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Sure, most people would look at Sacramento's roster and say they need a big, banging, interior scoring, rebounding body in the middle. But Nelson doesn't think like most people, esp. most NBA coaches. My guess is that if Monroe is still on the board (and Nelson is still the coach), he lands in G.S. He's just the kind of multiskilled big man, capable of handling the ball and running the offense, that Nelson seems to have warm fuzzy dreams about.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 7, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so I got Sacramento and G.S mixed up. Really, what's the diff?

Yeah, I can see Sacramento taking Cousins if he's still on the board.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 7, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Okay, so I got Sacramento and G.S mixed up."

You did, but made a good point - Monroe is the type Nelly loves.

Posted by: doogiex | June 7, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to debate who will be the better pro, Wall or Cousins.

but let's be clear, if Stern steps up to that podium on draft night and announces anyone other Wall, even melodious_thunk will be calling for his resignation or summary firing. There's nobody else with his combination of talent and minimal red flags. Nobody.

For better or for worse, we're "stuck" with Wall (who I think will be as dominant as Dwayne Wade).

Posted by: bobabuie | June 7, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

resignation or firing of Grunfeld, of course

Posted by: bobabuie | June 7, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

You cant even consider drafting fatboy Cousins when you listen to Wall talk, see that he's a dedicated gym rat, and acknowledge that pg is every bit as important in the current league as Center.

Every sign points to this kid being the GOODS, so great we finally got some luck in the year there's a "can't miss" player sitting at #1

Posted by: divi3 | June 7, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm SO excited about this guy.

Nothing but positive vibes all around for this franchise, it's been a long time coming.

On a side note it looks like Cleveland is shopping players in expectance of Lebron leaving Cleveland...at least that's the way it looks to me.

I think at this point I would be shocked to see him back there.

"Cousins looked good last year because Wall MADE him look good."

All you had to do is look at Rondo last night for the C's. Rondo is the key to if they win a Championship or not.

It will be the same of Wall.

I love it!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 7, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm SO excited about this guy.

I think at this point I would be shocked to see him back there.

"Cousins looked good last year because Wall MADE him look good."

It will be the same of Wall.

I love it!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm SO excited about this guy.

I think at this point I would be shocked to see him back there.

"Cousins looked good last year because Wall MADE him look good."

It will be the same of Wall.

I love it!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, sorry about the re-posts.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 7, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

and dont re-sign Miller, just wish him the best latching onto a contender as he seems to be a good guy.

but the dynamic player once known as Skinny is long gone, now he's an ultra-passive player who has to be cajoled into shooting open 3s. Mounting injury concerns will only get worse, and the team isnt expected to accomplish anything next year. I'd rather see a young, active defender in that spot, especially given Arenas will probably be taking enough 3s for two players.

Posted by: divi3 | June 7, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Since LeBron is so tight with Wall, ( can I dream )...maybe he'll make a pitch to come to D.C. Posted by: US-conscience | June 7,

The Wiz' ace in the hole in the LeBron sweepstakes is not so much John Wall as it is Ted Leonsis. Ted knows how to build winners. But what if Ted tossed into the deal personal business mentoring to LeBron--as much as LeBron wants and needs? Ted could show LeBron how to become the first multi-billionaire in sports! (Michael Jordan's net worth is estimated at $525 million.) And don't think Ted can't do that either. He can do that!

All the franchises can offer basketball. And John Wall is a huge factor. But in addition, Leonsis can offer so much more than any other franchise can, by far.

Posted by: EdDC | June 7, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

John Wall Workout and Interview

Posted by: djnnnou | June 7, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Gosh...if only Gilby had the skills/mentality to run a team like how Raljon Rondo does it...then we wouldn't have to be talking about John Wall.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 7, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

now he's an ultra-passive player who has to be cajoled into shooting open 3s.
Posted by: divi3

Not to go over this ground again, but "ultra-passive"? Really? Over March and April, he averaged shooting 3 threes a game, to go along with 12pts, 6rbs, and 4asts a game. He definitely had a stretch in early March when he was reticent to shoot, but he was also shooting a low percentage at the time. Kind of sounds like there was some shot selection involved. But he definitely picked up in the second half of March and April.

I'm fine with not resigning him and bringing in someone younger, but let's not go overboard on the criticism.

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Screw Lebron, he's too big for his britches. Hopefully he signs in NYC and fails spectacularly.

Posted by: divi3 | June 7, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 6:59 PM

I think he was downright awful at times this past season, but also quite good at other points. Very mixed bag. Same with Foye really and surely general team dysfunction counts for some it in both their cases

Posted by: divi3 | June 7, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

but really i posted that in relation to someone saying watching ray allen made them want to keep miller......jesus shuttleworth he aint

Posted by: divi3 | June 7, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC

With respect, Ted's Caps haven't gone any farther than the Cavs have in hoops. Miami has a recent title.

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I hear ya, but he did still shoot .480 from 3, and he wasn't exactly playing on the Celtics.

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

And in terms of mentoring, LeBron could just as easily get it from Miami (Mickey Arison $5.8B) or the Nets (Mikhail Prokhorov $19.8B). And given Bron's global icon designs, perhaps partnering with an owner with already established international connections in Prokhorov or the Chinese group that bought into the Cavs makes more sense. No doubt Ted brings a lot to the table, but it's not completely unique. Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

ts35,

It's not just who has the most billions. Who is the most creative entrepreneur for what LaBron needs? Who can best look at the total picture of who LaBron is and where to take him? I would say it is our Ted.

Posted by: EdDC | June 7, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC

Based on analysis of how Arison and Prokhorov made their billions, or just wishful thinking? Wishful thinking is totally fine, just as long as we're clear about it =)

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Well I'd like to see Miller come back. If only because it's good for the young guys to have at least a few vets around. Miller is a guy who plays hard & seems a good locker room guy. He plays team ball, passes, rebounds. He's skilled and will help us on and off the court.

Also guys like Miller and Livingston, who were high picks but have kind of bounced around, provide good perspective for a guy coming in the league like Wall.

Leonsis' statements indicate we will try to add some picks and rebuild our core through the draft, and I hope that's what we do!

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked to see us somehow add another lottery pick to grab Monroe. Leonsis is a huge G'Town fan.

If nothing else I'd love to see us grab a couple extra 2nd rounders. A few guys I'd like to see us get include centers Paulao Prestes and Brian Zoubek, G Greivis Vasquez, forwards Gani Lawal and Trevor Booker. Could we pick up 3 2nd rounders and add all 5?!

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 7, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

If we can keep Miller and Howard at reasonable deals, as well as Livingston and Singlton, I would like to.

That said I'd give the young guys like Wall, Young, Thornton, Blatche, and McGee every opportunity to play major rolls on this team.

Otherwise as far as free agents I'm really not interested in anyone. I just assume keep some of our own guys and adding some more draft picks. Use our cap space and trade exemption to acquire some more picks. Maybe go ahead and renegotiate Blatche at a bigger and longer contract. If we initiate that I think it would be classy on our part, and would give some confidence and motivation to Blatche.

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 7, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe go ahead and extend Thornton and McGee too if possible.

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 7, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Look the biggest question mark on this team is the center position!!

Mike can you please do a story on McGee and what this guy is and what he will become? Next time you talk to Ernie ask him what is his plan for the center position??!!!

For years we've had Haywood/Etan now both are gone. Is the job McGee's to lose? Is Blatche gonna play there? Are we gonna add some guys in the draft (Prestes, Zoubek)?? Are we gonna add another lottery pick for Monroe? Are we gonna target a FA?? Bosh or Stoudamire, or Haywood? What is the plan?? Every other position is pretty solid... guards Wall, Arenas, Young, possibly Livingston and/or Foye.. small forward Thornton, possibly Miller and/or Howard... PF Blatche, possibly Singleton, as well as Thornton there too at times.

Center all we have for sure is McGee.

McGee has shown tons of potential. McGee could be a guy to build on with Wall. For brief stretches he's been flat out dominant! Other times he's pushed around like a rag doll.

What do you all think? Does McGee have what it takes to step up as our starting center??!!!

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 7, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I was talking up Miller as the kind of guy the Wiz needed two years before they got him, I thought the swap of Howard for Butler actually came out slight in favor of the Wiz, and neither player did anything in their time on the floor in Washington to make me sour on them significantly. That said . . .

There is no good reason for a team in the Wizards' current position to be signing 30+ year old role players (including one coming off a serious, unlikely to be fully resolved by next season, injury) to guaranteed, multiyear deals.

Moreover, no one on this team earned a new deal or an extension with his play last season. For the first time in years, this team is positioned with the assets and flexibility to rebuild the right way. Tossing that down the crapper to lock up almost every player on team that won 23 games would be beyond foolish. If Grunfeld did that, then he'd deserve to be fired.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 7, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Also what do you all think about a starting 5 of Wall, Arenas, Thornton, Blatche, McGee??

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 7, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Neither McGee nor AB are good fits or long term solutions at the 5.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 7, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

McGee is still very raw, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He has talent, no question, but he needs a substantial amount of work to be a legit starting center in this league. Have you had a look at Cousins' frame? He could be the next Mel Turpin, Kevin Duckworth or John "Hot Plate" Williams. What I'm saying is that the man looks like he enjoys eating.

Wall's the only choice.

Posted by: randysbailin | June 7, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I know it's nitpicky point Kal, but the Wiz won 26.

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | June 7, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't know those two guys, and you do, so you win.

Posted by: EdDC | June 7, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks Blatche is part of this team's future is out of their mind. He showed his mettle when he refused to re-enter the game.

Also, Arenas is entirely incapable of guarding any starting guard in the league. Just watch him; he lets everyone run by him because he can't move laterally to stop them. He doesn’t even try. So Arenas will not be part of this team's future just based on that fact alone. He is probably the worst defensive liability in the entire league among starters.

Furthermore, for clarification, this team is going to do everything in its power to be awful for the next few years. That's what building through the draft means... We need high draft picks to acquire the talent.

Posted by: MeviousMan | June 8, 2010 4:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MeviousMan

I agree, and that was pre-injury. However, I know that it is extremely tough keeping skilled, quicker players who are smaller than you from crossing you over or keeping them out of the lane. Being that you can't hand-check anymore.

Moving Gil to the 2-guard Might help him stay in front of his man a lil better.

Posted by: G-Man11 | June 8, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

i think we've got the wrong coach to mold a team philosophy & character around. this guy screwed up a winning team at detroit. he's not shown an ability to live through and 'coach up' his current younger players through mistakes. more damning is his inability to instill a teamwide "teamwork" and responsibility ethic for last year's largely veteran team. the guy is a hack.

Posted by: dcjazzman | June 8, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"From Draft Express. They also have Play by Play Driven Floor Stats for 2010 NCAA Draft Prospects. My personal pet favorite Mikhail Torrance is still looking good.Posted by: djnnnou"

Thanks for the link, I'd missed that. Particularly the shot selection grid. I like your Torrance, too. Couldn't help noticing that Greivis launched well over a third of his shots from outside the arc.. You can see why Luke Babbitt of Nevada is climbing -- he's shaping up as a true inside-outside player. And Dominique Jones, who worked out at Washington is a strong challenger in the late first round. Quincy Pondexter got most of his NCAA points well inside the 3 point line, so jury's still out on how he'll do from the NBA arc.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I've said it before and I will continue to say it. Don't let John Wall near that knucklehead Arenas. Whatever you have to do, get Arenas outta here!

Posted by: slimjim21787 | June 8, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

" However, I know that it is extremely tough keeping skilled, quicker players who are smaller than you from crossing you over or keeping them out of the lane. Being that you can't hand-check anymore.
Moving Gil to the 2-guard Might help him stay in front of his man a lil better.
Until I see John Wall stay in front of a smaller, skilled point guard, I have to think that he will have the same problem at 6'4".Posted by: G-Man11"

There's actually a Combine drill that should help predict that -- lane agility. Average league-wide for SGs is apparently 11.31, for PGs 11.15. John Wall finished the drill at 10.84. He'll be among the quickest in the NBA at either position. He also has that excellent wingspan.

The thing he'll have to adjust to is the quick first step of players like T. Evans, D. Harris, and R. Rondo.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

slimjim

If you were Ted, how much would you be willing to spend to buy Arenas out?

If you were Arenas, how much would you except to be bought out?

Posted by: G-Man11 | June 8, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Thanks for the info. I hope you are right. I still want to see it though.

Posted by: G-Man11 | June 8, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you dcjazzman on Flip being a hack. I didn't like what happened in Detroit and he's only proving us right that he was the wrong guy. Ted needs to get us a new coach so we can have someone positive enough to nuture young budding talent. Flip isn't the guy for that. He rode on the tail of what Rick Carlisle gave him.

Posted by: cbmuzik | June 8, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards will draft John Wall. The workout is a mere formality.

I guarantee you Ernest Grunfeld will find two other players in this draft who make a contribution to the rebirth of the Wizards. If he gets another first rounder, which he is reportedly trying to do, you can make that four contributors from one draft. The Wizards appear to be willing to BUY a pick if it comes to that. Contrast that with the previous philosophy of always being a seller and never, ever shelling out cold, hard cash for one.

Anyone still question who was behind the moves to get rid of picks and stay below the lux-tax threshold over the past seven years?

Posted by: melodious_thunk | June 8, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cbmuzik

LOL!

Posted by: ts35 | June 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

He rode on the tail of what Rick Carlisle gave him.

Posted by: cbmuzik | June 8, 2010 10:05 AM

Who received a championship team from Larry Brown.

I don't know how much blame Flip deserves for last season. The mediocre three had different agendas and too many guys were dancing to the beat of their own drummer. Most of us the blog were refreshed by the effort that the young guys put out after all the trades. So I'm all for giving him a chance to motivate and coach up the young guys this season.

Posted by: Firuz1 | June 8, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou"

There are definitely a few guys like Torrance who will be around when the Wiz pick at 30, 35. Even though it doesn't match up with the biggest positional needs right now, the Wiz should look closely at guys like Torrance, Crawford, Terrico White, Dominique Jones, Willie Warren etc. To me, those guys are a lot closer to being NBA players than a number of other guys mentioned at the end of the first / top of the second.

Picking one does a couple of things. First it helps the overall depth of talent. Second, it lets Nick Young know that the clock is ticking. He should have known it all along, but nothing quite gets your attention like a team drafting a guy to play your position.

There are definitely a variety of other ways to go, some of which might make more positional sense. But this group of guys at the end of the first / top of the second to me represent the value of this draft.

Posted by: ts35 | June 8, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Leonsis has been approved as owner.

C'mon, Michael, is this the Wizards Insider or Outsider. LOL.

Posted by: Firuz1 | June 8, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Flip's pseudo hard-ass routine is out the door given Ted's 'positivity is key to success' persona.

I'd like to see everyone drafted given a real opportunity to contribute rather than have anybody benched for being a rook who must sit on vet principle like we have seen so much in the past with this organization

Posted by: divi3 | June 8, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

" But this group of guys at the end of the first / top of the second to me represent the value of this draft.Posted by: ts35"

Y'know, you may be right about that. The top 5 prospects look pretty strong, but I can't recall seeing many better draft classes in terms of likely picks 20-40. Some of those guys who'll go 10-20 are more questionable.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Some of those guys who'll go 10-20 are more questionable.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2010 12:32 PM

I think Whiteside and Aldrich will be disappointments

Posted by: divi3 | June 8, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The roster has too many holes to fill in one draft. I think value is the why to go.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 8, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Where why = way.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Flip isn't the guy for that. He rode on the tail of what Rick Carlisle gave him."

Flip didn't get anything from Rick Carlisle. Carlisle was fired as Pistons' coach after 2 years (and two 50 win season and a COY award) and replaced by Larry Brown, who was fired after 2 years (and two Finals appearances and 1 title) and replaced by Flip Saunders. Who was fired after 3 years (during which he averaged about 55 wins per year) and replaced by Michael Curry. Who was fired after 1 year and replaced by John Kuester (who will most likely be fired after 2 years).

That should tell you something about how unstable and tenuous the coaching seat has been in Detroit.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"I know it's nitpicky point Kal, but the Wiz won 26."

Yeah, I knew that. For some reason I keep thinking it was 23. I guess 23 was the point at which I stopped counting. Or caring.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 8, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Back to Flip . . . If anything, he's better suited for a young, rebuilding team than he is for a veteran contending team. He's more of a teacher than task master as coach, so he'll probably have an easier time dealing with young players who haven't been around long enough to have convinced themselves they know everything. Also, he's got plenty of experience helping to develop and mold young PGs.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 8, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slimjim21787 | June 8, 2010 8:42 AM
---------------------------------------
Obviously no one is listening. So, can we just move on!

Peace

Posted by: bazteal | June 8, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

i think we saw towards the end of last season that flip is indeed an excellent teacher.....however i still maintain he is a subpar tactician, in-game coach, or whatever you want to call it.

Thankfully that doesnt mean he's the wrong guy for the team right now. As long as the young players are developing, matters not the several games per year that are won or lost based solely on the coach. If the team ever gets good enough to where it seems Flip's coaching is really what's holding them back- we'll be in great shape

Posted by: divi3 | June 8, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Sounds like Rudy Gay may be a good fit at the 3...and if that doesn't work out, there's always Childress who played overseas last season.

Neither McGee nor AB are good fits or long term solutions at the 5." - DC_MAN88

I agree that Blatche is best at the 4, but the word is still out on McGee.

Personally, I'd prefer Childress over Gay. Gay is a scorer for sure, but that's pretty much all he brings. I'd prefer someone at the spot that can bring more of a team game, be that with ball distribution, rebounding, or defense. Especially considering we'd probably have to overpay for him, since he's restricted. Unfortunately for Childress, I believe he is still technically a restricted free agent, with his rights belonging to Atlanta.

If we're not going to bring back Howard or Miller, then I'd draft someone at the wing with our later picks. There's not a lot available in free agency at that position that is still young. Dorell Wright might be a nice affordable option, but I don't ever see him being anything more than a backup.

2011 has a better crop available, but most are restricted. Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Wilson Chandler, and Corey Brewer are all good young options, but all will be restricted. Carmelo Anthony will be unrestricted, and the best of the bunch alongside Durant. But unless we plan on keeping Arenas for the long haul, he doesn't make as much sense, as our team might not be ready to start competing at the highest levels until after his prime.

Posted by: segastyle | June 8, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind Childress. Gay would likely put up gaudier numbers, but he'd also come with a gaudier price tag. I get the impression that a few years from now he's going to be on the list of overpaid pseudo-franchise players.

Even if Childress is restricted, I doubt Atlanta would break the bank to keep him, so he may be up for grabs (esp. if Johnson leaves and they have to do some major retooling).

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 8, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Mevious wrote:

Mevious, what you and posters such as yourself must remember, these guys are young-if there was a maturity pill, don't you think teams would keep open pharmacies?

I must be out of my mind because Blatche can play and will be a big part of what happens in the future-he's a poor man's Tim Duncan, my opinion folks!

To Darnell1:
Remember, that McGee is developing. At least he wants to play the position-how many "centers" play power forward right now? Sure, he's a stringbean, but go back and look at centers not named Shaq-they all were skinny and had to develop their games. I think we're on the right track w/McGee, patience is needed. As long as he's willing and... can gain some more weight/strength, and develops a hook shot on both hands, I'm good with Javale.

Now, I'm 39-so I have lived through the time when players weren't expected to be finished products immediately. So, I'm inclined to see Blatche and McGee as immature and that's all, by the time Wall has physically developed and his game has come together, our two young bigs will be on the same path, hopefully. The player that I wonder about is N.Young, who has had some years to grow and develop, I think he has plateaued, he appears to believe he's a scorer, but he's not exceptional at it and he's disinterested in playing D and rebounding. Plus, he has not improved physically and doesn't care for coming off the bench. I think we're wasting time with him.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 8, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Wall will be a great foundation player but except for McGee, I see nobody on the roster who will be here two years from now. Blatche will continue to put up 20-10 stats but will never be a reliable player for a good team. The Wiz will trade him if they can get a high draft pick or good veteran PF in return. Arenas is not part of the future (or even the present) regardless of what EG says. He'll be moved or bought out by training camp.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 8, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how some eval players. McGee and Blatche will be very good pros that you want to keep. When you have 2 7 footers that can do what these guys can do and now with a real point will be fun to watch. The Wiz problem will be the idiot at coach called Flip. He has no clue and it's said Ted will give him another yr to prove he's an idiot.

STARTERS

DRAFT PICK (BIG)
DRAFT PICK (BIG)
DRAFT PICK (GUARD)

Posted by: rnbrown4 | June 8, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

hi !
Cheap retail watch, sunglasses, belt, hats/caps, High quality T-shirts,
ED hardy t-shirts,ED Hardy hoodies,ED hardy ,Jeans,GUCCI shoes,LV Handbag,Chanel
Handbag……high quality,low price.welcome to