Luke Harangody, Trevor Booker among 6 at predraft workout

The Washington Wizards just finished another round of predraft workouts at Verizon Center, and among the six players who went through approximately 90 minutes of drills were forwards Luke Harangody and Trevor Booker.

Booker and Harangody have different playing styles, but each offers attractive qualities for a Wizards team in need of front-court upgrades.

Booker was particularly strong finishing around the basket over four seasons at Clemson, where he averaged 15.2 points and 8.4 rebounds as a senior.

"I think the sky's the limit for this team," the 6-foot-7 Booker, projected as an early second-rounder, said of the Wizards, who are expected to use the No. 1 overall pick next week on John Wall.

Harangody, meantime, is projected as a mid- to late pick in the second round despite high production in four seasons at Notre Dame. The 6-8 second-team all-American is using that slight as motivation.

"I do feel that way," Harangody said. "I think during my college career I've had one of the most, or the most, productive college career with anybody in this draft, and I still continue to get a lack of respect I think."

Harangody averaged 21.8 points and 9.4 rebounds as a senior. He also missed five games this season with a knee injury he said is completely healed.

Other players who worked out today were forwards Marquis Gilstrap and Marqus Blakely and guards Trevon Hughes and Jeremy Wise.

By Gene Wang  |  June 14, 2010; 2:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More from Ted Leonsis
Next: Evan Turner's agent 'not receptive' to workout with Wizards

Comments

I wouldnt mind taking Booker with #35, we could use a tough guy like him.

Posted by: DMoney28 | June 14, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Marqus Blakely is 6'4.75" w/out shoes with a 7'1" wingspan. I don't know what position he plays in the NBA, but I hope to see him on some team next year.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 14, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Would love to see the Wizards get Booker with a 2nd-round pick. It would help me feel better about passing on DeJuan Blair last year.

Posted by: gophercrow | June 14, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Booker would be a great extra pick guy if we can get an extra 2nd rounder. Harangody is also a very hard-working lunch-pail kind of guy that I can see doing well as a spot bench player.

Posted by: closg | June 14, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou | June 14, 2010 3:01 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on our summer league team. We only have 5 players under contract and 4 of them have 3+ years, so if we field a summer squad (and i'm sure we will), it'll be our 3 picks this draft and Mcgee. So i'd think these pre draft workouts are also summer team auditions.

sidebar-- If we do have a vegas team, Andray Blatche and Nick Young should be banned from playing! Screw that whole, getting better crap. 4 years in, you should know how to get better without it!

Posted by: CBell29 | June 14, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Blacthe's nickname is "summer league" which is hilarious. I doubt he'll be there this year, but who knows. Might as well send the whole team really

Posted by: divi3 | June 14, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same exact thing divi3! Ted should force them to play. Its only 5 of em. Might as well play.

Posted by: CBell29 | June 14, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Booker and Harangody get worked out by the Wizards. I think Harangody is right, he doesn't get the respect. But who knows, maybe he is another Taylor Coppenrath.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 14, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Harangody strikes me as a Songalia / Carl Landry type. Willing banger with offensive skills, who never going to be quite big or athletic enough to be a good starter, but could be a valuable role player.

Posted by: ts35 | June 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I believe Harangody was measured at 6'6" without shoes. Maybe that's why doesn't get any respect, at least as far as NBA goes.

Posted by: rickgonz | June 14, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

• Luke Harangody made a concerted effort to become more perimeter-oriented this season. His 5.3 jump shots per-game rank first on our list in a tie with Craig Brackins. Harangody’s overall PPP of 0.971 is just average because of his questionable shooting (38.1%) on those attempts.

Situational Statistics: This Year’s Power Forward Crop

Some good stuff in here. Dwayne Collins is a new name for me.

Posted by: djnnnou | June 14, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickgonz | June 14, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

If Harangody is still on the board at 35 I could see the Wiz taking him (depending on on who else is available, of course). He's a tough guy with skill who plays hard. Could do worse in the second round.

On the flip side, I seem to recall there were some questions regarding his attitude and whether he was a true team player, and the fact that he's touting his record and pulling out the "disrespect card" already may be a bad sign.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

After John Wall get some beef!! Jerome Jordan can be available.

Posted by: Tha-1 | June 14, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

especially when he's got knicked up stiff written all over him. then again, last years Big East player of the year landed with decent team and made the most of his opportunity. I don't see the same fire in Harangody, but it seems like every young player has a chip on his shoulder nowadays.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 14, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Harangody is 6'6" without shoes and 6'3" with a normally shaped head.

Posted by: divi3 | June 14, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Booker reminds me a lot of Craig Smith, the former BC star who was only 6 7", but had a very productive college career. He's played pretty well as a backup guy on some bad Minnesota and Clippers teams. Unlike Harangoody, Booker isn't carrying the same chip on his shoulder and would probably be a better fit on a team that is in rebuilding mode.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 14, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think some folks had Trevor Booker going in the first round before the season. The team as a whole disappointed some fans and that probably caused him to drop into the second round, where he becomes a value pick.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 14, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"I forgot to say that Harangody's measurements are about the same as Booker's except Booker can jump higher and Harangody is heavier. Both played PF in college.Posted by: rickgonz"

If I remember correctly, Booker jumps a lot higher -- six or seven inches.

I like Harangody too, maybe he'll turn out to be Paul Silas, but I'd have some hesitation drafting him above Booker.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 14, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"If I remember correctly, Booker jumps a lot higher -- six or seven inches."

3-legged buffalo jump higher than Harangody.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Out of all these guys that worked out for the Wiz who say they are PF/C types, only N'Diaye was anywhere close to his claimed height. As folks say being big in college basketball does not necessarily mean the player's game translates to the NBA.

Posted by: rickgonz | June 14, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"These two guys have the size of a small forward, not PF. Honestly rather than these two guys and if I was the GM which I'm not, I'd get back Dominic McGuire who's taller, can jump as high as Booker, has a slightly wider wingspan and is already adjusted to the NBA game. And they're not any upgrade over James Singleton either. The standard for me would be, how quick are these guys, can they defend (help slow down) LeCrab James who is taller, quicker, wider wingspan, jumps higher, runs faster, etc.? On the other hand, what could they do against Stoudemire, Duncan or even Jamison? As center they would not be an upgrade over Paul Davis either."

You do realize we're talking about the #35 pick, right?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

You do realize we're talking about the #35 pick, right?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 4:47 PM

Anyway, I'm still no GM and it's just my opinion.

The Wizards' measurements page:

Posted by: rickgonz | June 14, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"Yup. If a #35 makes the team, he still gets paid. And picking/paying/playing either of these guys over the likes of Paul Davis or Dominic McGuire makes no sense. Get rid of them but their replacements will not be upgrades and will make more money?"

I like McGuire and all, but it's not like he set the bar so high that it would be tough to clear. And Davis hasn't cracked the rotation on an NBA team yet. Is there any guarantee that either of these guys would be better? Of course not. But it sure as hell isn't outside the range of possibility/probability.

But when I asked the question I was referring mainly to this:

"The standard for me would be, how quick are these guys, can they defend (help slow down) LeCrab James who is taller, quicker, wider wingspan, jumps higher, runs faster, etc.? On the other hand, what could they do against Stoudemire, Duncan or even Jamison? "

That's a ridiculous standard. You don't determine whether to take a guy at 35 based on how he might play against perennial all-stars and future HoFers.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

And I don't think McGuire or Davis meet that standard either.

I take your point rick, even with the 35 pick they should be looking for a useful piece, and 'measurables' are part of that, but a lot of good players have also been passed over in the second because they didn't have those measurables. Doesn't mean they can't play. Plus, is there any reason we can't draft someone and sign McGuire back if we wanted to?

Harangody and Booker on the lists I've seen are a little bit below where the Wiz will pick, but not so far down that picking them there is totally out of the realm of being reasonable. The other side of it is that maybe Ted is interested in buying additional second rounders along with trying to buy a first rounder.

Posted by: ts35 | June 14, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Booker is too small for the NBA and his motor tends to stop when the game gets tight!

Posted by: whomp1 | June 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

"It shows how shallow this year's draft is, if someone like Harangody or heaven forbid an Omar Samhan is taken anywhere even in the 2nd round. And it wouldn't help Leonsis' stated strategy to rebuild via the draft. Leonsis also said in one of his interviews, he likes stats. There's no more basic stat than body measurements. I don't think they play games at combines anymore to see the top guys play against each other, nor do they time runs either. It looks like there's more opportunity for the players and their agents to increase the roar of hoopla via PR."

To me, the second round looks unusually solid, at least through pick 40 or 45. Better than last year.

I have noticed that folks are using mock drafts off the Web to determine player 'value' at a particular point during the round, but where do you think those mocks are getting their info? From other mocks, of course. In an ordinary draft, it's pretty difficult to 'slot' players once you're outside the top ten or twenty. We don't have any reliable way of separating Gani Lawal from Devin Ebanks or Terrico White, for instance. Any one of those guys could go anywhere between 25 and 40 and still turn out to be a value pick. We know a Samhan of a Harangody is less athletic, but do we really have a way of determining who will be the superior pro? I don't see it.

When I say I'd draft Booker over Harangody, it's purely because Booker is a way, way better jumper. If the difference was two inches instead of seven, Harangody would seem the better player.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 14, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

"Harangody is too slow and small for the compeitive NBA. he'll make it and be a journeyman type for a few years, but he won't be dropping 20+ in the NBA.Posted by: whomp1 |"

See, this is what I mean. Who said he WOULD be 'dropping 20+' in the NBA?' It's all just a form of craziness.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 14, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Let me try to say it another way, and I'm not challenging your thoughts guys, I'm just trying to explain my comments better.

Leonsis wants to rebuild starting with the draft.
I don't think (so far), the guys the Wiz have been working out are the "make a difference" guys, although Leonsis already said he wants to draft players and after a couple of years, adjustments are made. It's what he is doing with the Caps following his ten point strategy.

There's got to be some standards in the Wiz GM's and coaches' minds as to what is acceptable. I think at this point the bar has been set high by Leonsis, and they will be thinking of situations, positions and match ups.

Specifically these two Booker and Harangody claim to be PFs (but sized at SF), so you have to think how they might be useful in situations. Let's not plan for the least difficult or stressful, think of the best (or worst) situations these guys will be thrown into. They can't match up with the best power forwards, and they won't be able to match the best small forwards. (At least McGuire could help slow down LeCrab) Are we then going to hire them specifically only to play against second units? I believe the opportunity is there to try to find the players that are capable of more than just playing against other teams' reserves, hopefully better than those other reserves. These days, from what we've seen second units on the best teams are pretty darn good. The best of them would be starters on other teams. (As it turns out Blatche was one of those)

The point I made about Davis or McGuire, is if they weren't good enough, one guy was let go after two games, and Dom was traded after three years, and if these two guys Booker and Harangody aren't improvements over Davis, McGuire, Singleton or Thornton, why bother hiring either of them? They'll take up salary and space on the bench that could be used for others. I don't know who, just that there must be better players than these two.

I'm hoping they will work out better hopefuls (stronger, quicker, play above the rim, and actually measure up to their claimed height) for the PF and C positions.

Posted by: rickgonz | June 14, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Your argument is completely upside down. You're basically taking standards and reasoning used in the selection of lottery picks and trying to apply it to guys taken in the second round. That's simply not how it works.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

@kalo
I'm not sure that you have any better information than I have as to how the Wizards management works. We're all just giving our opinions and speculating on who's the better player, who's falling to which spot, whatever. I gave my viewpoint, I'm not arguing with you.

I don't see what's so difficult about looking for players that are better than those the Wiz got rid of last season.
Is that too much to aim for?

I prefer to have better players than what we had before, not worse. If we're supposed to be happy with mediocre, those guys the management traded or cut last season are cheap, so might as well hire them back. But please please Wizards don't draft worse players who cost more.

Posted by: rickgonz | June 14, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Rickgonz, how tall was Charles Barkley? How tall is Carl Landry, Milsap or Boozer? When were those guys drafted? Imagine how many terrible pros were picked before those guys because of measurements. The draft is an exercise in speculation, particularly when you're drafting in the second round. Every team is looking to find a guy who, for whatever reason, will be a better pro than is projected based on his college career. In my opinion, the Wizards need high-energy, competitive, and tough guys. They should be able to get some quality players with the 30th and 35th picks. I don't care what Booker's or any other guys height is if they are going to clean up the offensive boards for easy put-backs and extra possessions.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | June 14, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I been sayin for months I want Booker!

Posted by: Darnell1 | June 14, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

It has nothing to do with inside information on Wizards management and everything to do with common sense knowledge of how drafting in the second round is different than drafting in the first round. And it's pretty clear that you lack that knowledge, if you're using Stoudemire, Duncan, and Jamison as measuring sticks against which players taken at #35 should be judged. And I hate to rock you off your high horse, but when you respond to what I say by saying something that makes an opposing point you are, in fact, arguing with me. And hey, that's okay.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I thought Paul Davis was released last season because the Wizards backcourt was decimated by injuries and they needed to free up a roster spot to add a pg -- Boykins. For next season, Davis might be a better option for the Wizards at center than anyone available at 35, assuming he is even available. Likewise, Cedric Jackson may be a better guard than the guy that the Draft Express mock lottery has the Wizards taking at 35. That's all irrelevant at this point of the offseason. E.g., the Wizards might decide to take Brian Zoubek at 35, then evaluate Zoubek in summer league play and in training camp, and either release him or assign him to the D League and still sign Paul Davis or some other free agent to be either the starting or backup center on the 12 man roster.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 14, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Paul Davis signed with a Spanish club in April. Best of luck to him.

Now Zoubek looks even better.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | June 14, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I've been giving my opinions kalorama, while you have been responding to them. It would be nice if you could explain what those common sense standards are to draft in the second round since you don't agree with what I said.

Just saying you disagree is not enough.

-------------------------------------
You do realize we're talking about the #35 pick, right?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 4:47 PM
That's a ridiculous standard.
Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 5:19 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 8:02 PM |

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 14, 2010 10:44 PM

Posted by: rickgonz | June 15, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Just looking at the 2005 and 2006 drafts, it seems that only 8 or 9 second rounders from each class are still in the league.

A very few, like Blatche and Marcin Gortat, are principal contributors. More are playing overseas, and some are still commuting in and out of the D-League. There were a lot of foreign players drafted in the second back then -- more than now -- so it's possible that the numbers will look different a few years down the road.

It's not just Vereemenko -- most foreign players from that era never made it over here for any length of time. You had to think GMs knew that. So why did they draft them? Hedging their bets, probably. And NBA GMs don't place a lot of value on second round picks. This class, being deeper, may be something of an exception.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Harangody ...also missed five games this season with a knee injury "he said is completely healed".

Mike,

Did Ted make any changes within the organization or is he just going to keep the same inept people in charge?

For some reason he is keeping Ernie as the GM who lead this team to two losing seasons in a row and Flip didn't do any better then ETaps, but please ask Ted why he is willing to keep the same medical staff and trainers?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | June 15, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Seriously what's the use of having a D league if you don't award the players by bringing them up?

There should not be a second round!

The league is watered down enough with one and two done. How that working out?

Wizards need players above 6'10!

What the owners should be doing is shrinking the league, too many teams not enough Good players at this level.
Same teams every year.

Posted by: shamken | June 15, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

The wizards are probably dreaming about how much money they can sell those extra picks for.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | June 15, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

"That's all irrelevant at this point of the offseason. E.g., the Wizards might decide to take Brian Zoubek at 35, then evaluate Zoubek in summer league play and in training camp, and either release him or assign him to the D League and still sign Paul Davis or some other free agent to be either the starting or backup center on the 12 man roster.Posted by: PostSubscriber"

All this interest in Brian Zoubek piqued mine. Here's a guy who missed the bulk of his college career with foot injuries. The first came during the summer of '07, when he broke the 5th metatarsal in a pickup game. He spent all that summer and fall in a cast. He broke the same foot in January of 2008. That led to a second surgery after that season ended, followed by an extended rehab. He was a bench player at Duke until the middle of last February, and his rebounding was the key to their NCAA title run.

You might compare him to DeJuan Blair in that both are very effective rebounders with anomalous medical status. The question isn't whether Zoubek could play in the NBA; a really aggressive offensive rebounder who goes to the rim on every play and happens to be 7 feet tall and physical will always find a place with a pro team. It's the injury.

Foot injuries are the bane of NBA big men. Recurrence almost always results in lost seasons. Zoubek's college career was unusually short, and he probably wouldn't have been drafted at all without the ton of favorable pub he got from the NCAA tournament run.

He's a risk pick even at 45 or 50. Big upside, and really big downside.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lp_lodestar

That was under previous ownership. Now they're actually willing (allegedly) to buy picks.

Posted by: artiesliver | June 15, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I didnt know he had such serious foot injuries and that explains a lot about his status, because the way he performed in the Tourney was huge.

The guy is huge and just what we need to go with Javale.

Posted by: divi3 | June 15, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Just for fun, ESPN's John Hollinger has used his PER stat to predict the best future NBA performers in this coming draft.
By the way, don't forget PER is mostly about offensive performance.

In order, the top ten:
1. John Wall
2. DeMarcus Cousins, Kentucky
3. Evan Turner, Ohio State
4. Greg Monroe, G'town
5. Derrick Favors, Ga Tech
6. Xavier Henry, Kansas
7. Luke Babbitt, Nevada
8. Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake
9. Wes Johnson, Syracuse
10. Greivis Vasquez, Maryland

That last one gotcha, didn't it?

Not coming out so well were Cole Aldrich, Ed Davis, Eric Bledsoe, and Jordan Crawford.

You can bet Greivis has already e-mailed that list to all 30 NBA GMs plus the entire Italian League. By the way, Hollinger's projection for Greivis translates to 6 points and a couple assists per game off the bench.

Well, I will say I suspect that Vasquez could be a fit in the pro game than college. You can go far in the NBA regular season with some size, a modicum of skills and a whole lot of effort. And that's Greivis in a nutshell.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 15, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Grieves would make Sasha Bullyashits cry

Posted by: divi3 | June 15, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm definitely of the opinion to take a center and center/forward with those two picks. Someone over 6'9".

Blatche and Singleton were a good combination at the four spot. This team needs players that want to play in the post.

Posted by: bozomoeman | June 15, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

It seems that a lot of people are missing the main point made by Gene in this post.

The list of players that have worked out for the Wizards is not a reflection of who they hope to draft because agents are steering most of the mid-to-late first round prospects away from the team.

I'm still hoping the team can add a couple of players from a list that includes: Gani Lawal, Solomon Alabi, Stanley Robinson, Quincy Pondexter, and any lottery pick rated big man who falls (like Blair last year).

I also have a long list of players that I hope they avoid, including names that may surprise some: Damion James, Eric Bledsoe, Craig Brackins, and Devin Ebanks. These are the type of limited players who can blossom as role players on a good team, but may never hone their skills on a young team where they have more freedom.

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 15, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Trade Arenas... draft Jordan Crawford

Posted by: jschnei11 | June 15, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I've read so many snarky rebuttals to the "trade ARENAS" followers that I will just write that I too have enumerated a few sharp-edged reasons why GIL is a WIZARD for the next couple of years, then leave it at that.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 15, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

BODIES under contract (5):

McGEE, BLATCHE, THORNTON, YOUNG, ARENAS.

Bodies to go to fill out the roster (10):

DRAFTEES(3): JOHN WALL in the house as the first.

OPTION A: I would love to see SOLOMAN ALABI at #30. In the second, we need a #3 SF.

OPTION B: If no big with #30, then DEVIN EBANKS if available and JEROME JORDAN at #35.

OPTION C: Trading both and moving up would be good also.

FA (3):

The only player that I see that might fit center in FA is DAVID LEE, then UDONIS HASLEM at the #4. Add a low priced #3 from the FA's, or maybe JOSH CHILDRESS from GREECE and the HAWKS.

FA signees from last years squad (4): Sign SINGLETON and LIVINGSTON (not likely in my opinion). Resign MIKE MILLER at the #2 at a reduced rate if he will come back (also not likely). Let QUINTON ROSS be body #15 if he exercises his player option. Don't offer RANDY FOYE.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 15, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

All this talk of players, what about the coach and his scheme? i don't think Flip made the best use of his players last year until he essentially had no players of high quality on the roster. I think Flip needs a better sense of urgency too.

Posted by: whomp1 | June 15, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse