More from Tuesday's Wizards workout

Iowa State forward Craig Brackins was the headliner in Tuesday's workout - although he might have been the main attraction one year earlier, too. A 6-foot-10, 230-pound forward, Brackins averaged 20.2 points and 9.5 rebounds as a sophomore in 2008-09. He followed with 16.5 points and 8.5 rebounds as a junior, a statistical decrease that corresponded with his sinking stock.

"I gained an understanding on defense," Brackins said. "I got a lot of doubles and triples when I went back. An understanding with the IQ of the game. Playing with my teammates. Just getting through adversity."

He said he does not regret skipping the draft last season, and thinks he's a better player this summer. He said NBA personnel did not find issue with his game.

"A lot of them thought after I worked out, they could see the difference," Brackins said. "Strength and understanding of my game. I think it benefits me. Wherever I go doesn't really matter. I just know I'm more confident in my game."

- Villanova guard Scottie Reynolds worked out for his hometown team, a point of pride for the Herndon native who grew up rooting for the Bullets/Wizards.

"It would be a dream come true to come here and contribute to the organization," said Reynolds, who attended the last game at the Capital Centre.

Reynolds starred for four years with the Wildcats. In his senior season, he averaged 18.2 points and 3.3 assists, although he must become more of a point guard to thrive in the NBA. He said he will work out for 11 teams by draft day.

After the workout, Reynolds tried to defend Wizards assistant coach Sam Cassell in the post. Cassell worked during the season with Wizards guard Randy Foye, a Villanova alum who Reynolds called a "big brother."

"Just to be out there on the floor with an NBA vet like that, learning as much as you can in little time, that's what you want," Reynolds said. "That will go a long way with me, whether he knows that or not."

- Ohio guard Armon Bassett is best known for his performance in the NCAA tournament against Georgetown, when he led the Bobcats to an upset with 32 points. He transferred to Ohio from Indiana, and points to his game against Georgetown when talking with NBA personnel.

"I have to, just for the simple fact, me coming from the MAC conference, we played a couple high majors, but I wasn't really myself at the time," Bassett said. "I have to point to that, and point that I played at IU. ...That's what I try to hang my hat on."

Bassett was arrested and charged with assault in May, although he said he's confident it will be resolved in August when his story comes to light. Some NBA teams have asked Bassett about the charges, he said.

"I'm going to tell the truth whenever they ask about it," Bassett said.

By Zach Berman  |  June 16, 2010; 9:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall to make Wizards debut in Las Vegas on July 11
Next: John Wall to work out for Wizards tomorrow

Comments

We need a guy who wants to earn his dough in the paint, getting rebounds and blocking shots. Toughness is needed on this team.

Posted by: bobabuie | June 16, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

What is the deal with Brackins?? Where do people think he is going to go? Will he be available at 30 or 35? Any interest?

Posted by: LooseCannon1 | June 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think we need 6-10+ 275, not 6-10 230.

I think Wiz management is angling for a late first rounder to get Zoubek.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | June 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

'"Trading the #5 pick last year was predicated on the specific circumstances the team (thought) it was in going into the season, which is the definition of a "unique situation."'

And? Who's responsible for what the team "thought" about its prospects? We going to pin that one on old Abe too? Trading the 5th pick turned out to be a lousy move, though I agreed with it at the time. But I'm not the one running the team, watching the practices, and paid millions to know what type of success can be expected.

Posted by: divi3 | June 16, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 |

That group didn't stink until after about 25 games.
They looked like a good playoff team after game #1.
I still thinkthat getting Foye & Miller for the #5 was a good move-----at the time. Remember a crystal ball was not available then.

Posted by: VBFan | June 16, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

when we see it now the move look bad but our evaluation should be able to see the whole situation it was not just exchanging pick 5 with two players, they try to get rid of stevenson's contract but manage to move sangalia, all in all it was a good trade.

Posted by: gtefferra | June 16, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

divi

I thought last years team could make a decent run in the east. With Arenas returning, Jamison, Butler, and the improved Haywood, Etan(at least he has some muscle, team needs muscle now), Songaila(traded), Blatche and Nick(hopefully maturing), Pech, McGee and McGuire even contributing, and the lottery pick.

Ernie gave up Songaila, Etan, Pech, the lottery pick for free agents to be in Miller and Foye, with Foye being the young lottery level veteran for the rookie lottery pick.

I was ok with that too. But like you said, I don't get paid millions. My problem is yes they cleared cap space, read that cut costs, but Foye is what he is. We were wishing Foye would be a decent backup/insurance policy to Arenas or his sidekick replacing Stevenson. Foye was overrated. He's ok, but nothing special. He is not a top 5 pick player. Now the question is do we want to resign him? Does it matter?

Posted by: G-Man11 | June 16, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtefferra

So in otherwords, we sold Blair for cash and the 5th pick in the draft to dump salary. Years ago, the Lakers won the championship and turned around and drafted James Worthy. They could have traded the pick for a veteran but they drafted some youth.

Detroit won the 'ship and had the 2nd pick in the draft. They blew it, but they didn't give the pick away.

Washington hadn't won a thing. They still needed to draft some youth. They ended up getting nothing but fatter pockets for trading the pick. Ernie and Abe are to blame for that.

Posted by: G-Man11 | June 16, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The deal to send the #5 pick last year was great. We shed Etan, Dsong and Pech. 3 players who didn't belong on a playoff contender. We got back two players (miller and foye) who would've been solid contributers in the playoffs - if we'd gotten there. They were low-risk as they were entering their final years, so we can just walk away this year with no strings attached. Its possible ErnieG saw the writing on the wall that the team wasn't going to compete as constructed, but rather than making a bad move - i.e. taking back years and years of salary - he made a move that could've been great in the short-term, but had an early escape clause if it didn't. In essence it was the first move toward rebuilding this team. Sure, we missed out on Rubio and Curry, but now that we've got Wall in our grasp this deal looks great to me.

Posted by: jbisdaman | June 16, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"For EG to think that a deep playoff run was realistic with a group that flat out stunk falls 100% on him. Any bad moves made due to that belief are also on him."

Yeah, because the guy who owned the team had no say in the matter right? The dying billionaire who had previously expressed a desire to win another title before he died? Please. To say nothing of the fact that you just got finished saying that Leonsis should step in and start pulling Grunfeld's strings on who they draft, so clearly you not only already know that the owner can exert undue influence over the decision making process but are wholly in favor of it. So now you're basically refuting your own argument.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

To put it more sharply in perspective, I'll simply ask a direct question:

If Leonsis tells Grunfeld who to draft and Grunfeld is unable to convince him that his choice is a bad one (A) what choice--other than quitting--does Grunfeld have than to do as he says and (B) if Leonsis' pick does turn out to be a bust, who should be held responsible for that?

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbisdaman

Miller, Etan,and Pech's contracts just expired. DSong expires after the coming season. So basically we traded the 5th pick to get rid of Songaila and his $4M contract for next year, 1 year early and the right to match the restricted Foye.

Again, depends on his offer, but does any body really care (Wall or no Wall) if Foye returns? I don't.

Posted by: G-Man11 | June 16, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I think there may be something to consider in this Brackins guy! If the Wizards want to mirror a young Oklahoma team, then I seriously see this guy as a 'poor mans' Keven Durant! I know for some, you may think this is a stretch, but if you don't believe me, checkout his video highlghts at:

Posted by: bazteal | June 16, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@ G-Man11

Yes, basically only shed Dsong's salary (player option). But we were trading our 3 worst players for two players that fit into the "playoff team" mold - energy combo guard (foye) and glue-guy forward (miller). Both Miller and Foye expire. I have no desire to resign Foye. Miller would be a great presence to maintain in our young locker room, but I doubt he'd be interested...let 'em go.

My point is that the trade was a low-risk gamble on Ernie's part that inadvertantly kick-started our rebuilding process.

Posted by: jbisdaman | June 16, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbisdaman | June 16, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Weird, ET,DS and even Pech were all part of Washington Wizards playoff teams. They played for the wiz, did whatever part they were asked to do and the team made the playoffs. One could say that whatever their contributions were during the season, that they belonged on that playoff team because at some point or another they contributed to that team making the playoffs. Saying that the Miller/Foye trade got us two players "who would've been solid contributers in the playoffs - if we'd gotten there." illustates how truly bad the trade was. Coming off of a 19 win season, you'd have to have a real serious pair to say that we just need 2 cats that can contribute once playoff time comes around. How bout getting to the playoffs. We see where that philosophy got us right, 27 wins.

If we drafted a guy at 5, would you be happy if his only value was that he might be able to contribute to the team........during a period of time when they aren't eligible to play. Foye and Miller was a bust, a Kwame Brown bust, a Darko Milicic bust (hell i think Darko's got a ring). I can rock with us dumping salary, but just shoot it straight. People were talking about the wiz not wanting to sign the #1 pick last year before the lottery. I'm not saying it was all money, but it whatever calculated risk EG took, he lost........unless the plan was to tank this year all along.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 16, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

To put it more sharply in perspective, I'll simply ask a direct question:

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

if EG knows it'a the wrong thing to do and is against it then he should quit. If he stays and makes the pick then i think the blame is shared, EG for doing what he knew was wrong, and the owner for putting the gm in the position to have to make a really bad pick/trade or be fired.

But going back to the idea of win now and playoff contention. It would have taken the biggest turnaround in league history(I think) to get the Wiz from 19 wins up to the lofty 50 win standard that FLIP SAUNDERS came to town bragging about. I didn't hear a peep from MR.Polin about what the Wiz WERE GOING TO DO last season, just what he wanted. He wanted to win a title before he died and would do whatever it took or possibly allow Ernie to do whatever he neede to do to get there. I dunno how much scouting or film study he did as his health deteriorated, but i doubt that Abe said we gotta trade this pick for MM and RF they're f'in tearing it up in Minny.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I think we need 6-10+ 275, not 6-10 230.

I think Wiz management is angling for a late first rounder to get Zoubek.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Yes, please, let's make sure we go after a 275 lb guy who'll bounce between the bench and IR with foot problems, instead of a guy who can play.

I don't think a late first rounder is going to be required for Zoubek. He should certainly be there at 35, or if they want to pick up a mid second round pick.

Posted by: ts35 | June 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbisdaman | June 16, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

took guys who fit into the playoff team mold ann put them on a 19 win team, awesome idea. BTW did those guys lead their last team to the playoffs .................i'm just sayin.

Low risk? if we'd drafted a guy at no 5 and we only improved by 6-7 games in the win column you'd be looking at him as a bust. You might let the kid slide if he put u numbers on his own despite the crap team around him, or you may even say that the kid had to adjust to the "NBA GAME". But for Foye and Miller to mail it in (OK mike played hard, just not that well in the 2nd half of the year) is a tough pill to swallow.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | June 16, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow we begin the process of rebuilding the team with a core of five players.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Abe was dying of a brain disease! The idea he was telling EG, "Don't draft the 5th pick, we need to win now, so trade it for Mille and Foye" is absolutely ludicrous. If EG had talked up Curry as a guy who can come in and score off the bench his rookie year and contribute, then that's what would have went down.

Quite the opposite. Mr.Pollin(RIP) was locked in an unwinnable battle with the Grim Reaper. Or did you not see his condition this past year or so? If anything, EG will have less control now than he did during Abe's last stretch.

Why? Because Leonsis will not be getting 100% of all his intel from EG, as Abe must have been doing for awhile. Ted is going to read every scouting report, watch every clip, and talk to as many people as humanly possible. He knows every basketball stat and is deep into advanced metrics for players. Given all that, there's no way he's going to be hands off about these decisions. EG will be on a shorter leash than he was with Abe this past year.

Posted by: divi3 | June 16, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

WRT Ernie...

In terms of going forward this past year with the hopes that the team would play as they did before Gil's injury (when they were flawed, but still a playoff team).....you can fault EG for failing to recognize that his team wasn't the same team, I certainly have, but a fair flip side of it is.....even if he knew, what choice did he have? Blow-up the team like he ended up doing was about it. All of the major players were under long contracts.

So your choices are, blow it up and know you're going to stink, or play your hand as is and with Haywood and Gil coming back, maybe they revert to their prior form. So his choices were between no chance to compete and maybe a chance to compete. Why not at least give it a shot? They took it, it didn't work, and now they're right where they would have been anyway.

Suffice to say that Ted is taking a longer view. He's been around EG, so he likely already knows what he has. Whether he's giving him one year to show progress, or is fine with EG going forward, who knows, and I guess we'll see.

WRT to Ted and how he'll operate overall, I don't think he's going to get too deep into trying to pick players. He has pretty much said that his concept for running the Caps and the Wiz is to set the vision, put good people in place and let them do their jobs. I'm sure Ted will be well-informed about who EG and Flip and scouts like at certain spots in the draft, but on draft day, I don't think EG will be turning around to ask Ted if it's ok if he drafts a certain player.

Posted by: ts35 | June 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: divi3 | June 16, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse"

I have to say, I almost entirely disagree with your post and the reasoning behind the EG/Pollin relationship.

Posted by: psps23 | June 16, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Abe was dying of a brain disease! The idea he was telling EG, "Don't draft the 5th pick, we need to win now, so trade it for Mille and Foye" is absolutely ludicrous."
No, what's ludicrous is your continued attempts to build flimsy straw men rather than actually address the issue on the table.

You have no idea what Pollin's cognitive state was when he died. Motreover, Pollin's desire to win a title before he died didn't just come up the day before the draft. He made a statement directly to that effect at least a couple of years ago. It's a sure bet Ernie knew full well what his marching orders were for some time. Not the mention the fact that the guy was almost 90 years old. The idea that he might not have many years left wasn't something that suddenly occurred to him on draft day.

Of course, all off this is irrelevant anyway. You're trying to tie the trade of the pick to last season's record, when the two have nothing to do with each other. Do you really think there's a player they could have drafted at #5 that would have had so dramatic effect on the team that they wouldn't have ended up in the lottery? Please. In the grand scheme of things, trading the pick was an even better move because if they hadn't done it, the team might have been in position to get the #1 pick this season.

"Or are you saying that it was really Abe making all the decisions, but now that we have a vibrant, involved owner- suddenly EG will be in charge again? Because meddling old Abe is gone?"

No, he'll be in charge because your boy Ted said he would, publicly and without stuttering.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"if EG knows it'a the wrong thing to do and is against it then he should quit."

That's utter nonsense. Do you quit your job every time your boss tells you to do something you don't want to do? If not, then you have no business suggesting it to other people.

"If he stays and makes the pick then i think the blame is shared, EG for doing what he knew was wrong, and the owner for putting the gm in the position to have to make a really bad pick/trade or be fired."

I agree the blame should be shared, but not equally, because the level of responsibility is not equal.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"However, I do agree Leonsis will be heavily involved. He won't tell EG which players to select, but he will be inputting general team philosophies, both in how he wants the team to be built and in the style of play he will want to the team to play."

As is his right as owner.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

And even if Abe's condition had deteriorated to the point where he was was incoherent, that didn't mean that Grunfeld got free run of the place. Abe and Irene were co-owners of the team, so just as was the case following his death, if Abe couldn't be an active presence then Irene would have stepped in. And it's a sure bet that she would have carried through on her husband's agenda.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | June 16, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"You miss the entire point, which was that if EG had said Curry could contribute off the bench on a playoff team then we would have drafted Curry (or whomever). And yes, the team would have still stunk. But now we'd have last year's 5th to go along with this year's first."

Of course (and this should really go without saying, despite the fact that I've already said it) had Grunfeld done anything differently than he did there's no guarantee that they would have ended up with the number one pick. To not acknowledge that basic fact is silly.

"But instead, EG made the talent evaluation that Miller and Foye were worth trading for when in reality they werent. Again, I thought they were too- but I'm not the GM. Irrelevant how the Big3 performed, Miller isnt very good and Foye is worse."

First of all, if you admit you agreed with the move, then to turn around now and skewer the guy for it and demand his head on a pike is the height of hypocrisy. Moreover, to suggest that Miller and Foye's contributions can be judged "irrelevant" of the big 3 is simply wrong. They were brought in specifically to support the big 3. They were role players who, when the big 3 went belly up, no longer had a role. They were a terrible fit for what this team became, and what this team became it did so specifically because of the big 3's failure.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and for the record, this:

"You miss the entire point, which was that if EG had said Curry could contribute off the bench on a playoff team then we would have drafted Curry (or whomever). "

Is pure wild conjecture without a hint of provable fact. Ernie was the Gm, but he did not have unlimited pull. Abe has long been known as an active meddling owner. The only time he wasn't was when Jordan was running things, and he found that experience so hard to stand that he kicked MJ to the curb at the first available opportunity. The notion that Grunfeld was free to do whatever the hell he wanted flies in the face of precedent and logic regarding how this team has been operated for decades.

Posted by: kalo_rama | June 16, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I didnt realize 90yr old on-deaths-doorstep Abe was at the combine determining no player available at 5th was as able to contribute as Miller/Foye, whom he surely had been following closely as his health declined.

Posted by: divi3 | June 16, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Yep.

Overall it's a really tough move to evaluate on it's face given all that happened. New Coach. New System. Theoretical #1 player who hadn't played in two years. Trying to integrate that player in with the #2 and #3 player who had been used to his absence in the midst of trying to integrate a new system. Working new role players in with #s 1, 2, 3 and a new system. Injuries. The 'Boykins' effect on Foye's contributions. The gun drama. The Blow-up.

I don't know how you evaluate that trade just by itself. It's also great to look back and say that we should have Jennings or Curry or whoever, but the fact is that there were big questions about all of those guys.

Or we could still be wating for Rubio.

Or saying that Jonny Flynn, Jordan Hill or DeMar DeRozan are nice players, but not as much as we were hoping for.

Posted by: ts35 | June 16, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I've been reading Wizards Insider for years now but I rarely post because most of my thoughts are put up by yall, but damn, quit dwelling on the past. We as Wizards fans probably have more of a right than anyone else in the league to be excited in looking towards the future, taking into consideration all that our organization has been through in the past few years (from the kwame brown draft, to the lebron travel in the playoffs, to gil's injury, to his suspension, to last year's blowup). Quite frankly, talking about the future is more interesting anyway. Lets move on from the Pollin penny-pinching days and focus on the Leonsis "build through the draft and win some games" days ahead of us, eh?

Personally, Id be extremely happy with Brackins at 30th or 35th. He's a guy who I think could turn out to be a very productive player off the bench or as a binge starter. His game reminds me alot of Yi Jianlian; he can shoot, hes got size, and he can rebound at about an average rate - don't get me wrong he's not necessarily soft, but I dont think he is the toughest player on the court either.

Posted by: TDAV | June 16, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse