Bog: Why John Wall skipped the ESPYs

Dan Steinberg is covering the rest of the Wizards' summer league season in Las Vegas. This afternoon he attended a scrimmage between the Wizards and the Portland Trailblazers, where John Wall explained why he changed his mind about attending tonight's ESPY Awards.

"Basically I don't want to miss practice or anything like that, feel like I'm bigger than anybody," Wall said Wednesday afternoon. "The ESPYs were a great chance, I would love to be there, but there's more time down the future to get there. Right now I'm a rookie, so I need to be with my teammates, trying to get better every chance that I can. If I would have left, then they maybe would have looked where I was or I asked where I was. It wouldn't have been the right place and the right situation. So I told the ESPN people thanks for the nominations, and thank God, but I had this and this is more important. This is my job. That comes secondary to what I'm trying to do."

For Dan's entire blog post, go here.

By Alexa Steele  |  July 14, 2010; 5:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Prisbell, Wang discuss John Wall
Next: Shaun Livingston agrees to terms with Charlotte

Comments

I'm saying that Shaun Livingston is worth 2/$10mill imo.

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree, but its water under now, so let's NOT sign Howard and get cartier martin or someone like him on to fill out the required 12 and then sign some 10-day cats this season, like we did last and see if we can find another SL.

I can See Miami is signing every one or two year FA that has never won a title. Whatever.

Juwan Howard and Z can get on that team, but does a title really mean anything to you if you play 6 minutes a game or are the weak link on the team? I guess it gives you something to put on your Wiki page, but ask Adam Morrison if he feels like a Champion for riding pine while the rest of the team won a ship?

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

wow. really? kid sounds pretty much like a regular down to earth guy. kudos to him.

Posted by: Matte | July 14, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he's getting some good advice. No coming out party.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 14, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

What's not to love about John Wall!!! We Wiz fans are very fortunate to have won the lottery this year! Terrific young man!

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | July 14, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Juwan was still ok this year, he definitely gave BTH the bidness at VC but maybe he was fired up to be in DC.

The problem is no matter how "vet" he can be....he doesnt solve the issue of size inside. And neither does OldZ or OlderJoe

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Wall got advice on the ESPY's. Either way, this shows his character. Good PR move and hopefully he stays this humble. Go Wiz!!

Posted by: Akiraw | July 14, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

oh, and signing Hinrich to a $17mill deal ostensibly because you loved him for years and also want to move up for Seraphin/Booker is definitely sticking your neck on the line.

Livingston cost peanuts and the early returns on Gani Lawal and Caracter are quite good. Obviously nothing has played out and no judgments can be made, but it wouldnt just a case of hindsight 20/20 considering how many people wanted to draft Lawal and sign Livingston.

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

So who's on the team right now?

Centers

Combo Guard

ARENAS - 17,731,000
HINRICH - 09,000,000

To be added;

Guard
Small Forward
Power Forward - SINGLETON?

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 14, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

BOOKER's contract five years with club options in years three,four, and 80% scale in year five starting at 01,240,560.

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 14, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Power Forward - SINGLETON?

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 14, 2010 6:27 PM

Not sure why they havent resigned him yet. The guy is a tenacious defender who grabs rebs from opposing players. Fits exactly into the toughness/grit mold being espoused. Sign him!

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

46,400,000 committed this year to date. Roughly 12 million left under the cap minus other contingencies, and a 6.0 million trade exception expiring in 2/2011.

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 14, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Power Forward - SINGLETON?

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 14, 2010 6:27 PM

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I roll with that. he had a 1.2 million contract which has expired. I'll be if there are no spectacular offers in FA near the dead-line, EG offers him a deal similar to BOOKER'S starting about 500,000 higher.

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 14, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

"Point being, EGs job probably hangs in the balance over those moves...but who knows Posted by: divi3"

Why would Grunfeld's job 'hang in the balance' over those particular moves?

Signing Hinrich? If the team decides after next season they don't want him, he just becomes an expiring asset. Drafting Booker and Seraphin? The Wiz sure didn't give up much for either pick. Not signing Livingston? Hold up your hands, those of you who thought Livingston dreamed of playing next season behind Wall, Arenas, and Hinrich. Not drafting Gani Lawal? I'm a Gani fan, but he's not exactly DeJuan Blair the 2nd.

Washington picked up Yi for practically nothing and Hilton Armstrong for little more.

Put all those together and you've got a GM whose marching orders from the owner are to rebuild without overspending and a green light to gamble on a few young prospects.

Ted doesn't seem like Dan Snyder, whose favorite GM/head coach is 'the next one'. If Ernie loses his job, it'll be because Leonsis has decided the team needs a fresh approach.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on Grunfeld's stated desire to make the team tougher. He was talking at the time about the players he'd already selected -- Booker and Seraphin in particular. Certainly he didn't sign Hilton Armstrong because he's tough. He signed him because there's not a whole lot left on the FA market, center-wise.

My guess is he'll evaluate a player like Singleton on his 1) skills, 2) potential for improvement, and 3) team needs. James is a good rebounder, defender, and shot blocker who can't shoot from outside and turns the ball over a bit too much. He made a favorable impression last season but is also turning 29 in a few days. Might help that Blatche got hurt, and Singleton can play that position.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations John Wall! Best college player Espy.

Posted by: washwiz | July 14, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

If eg is talking tuffness then he gotta sign Singleton.
Plays hard, battles on the boards and should be CHEAP.
Thought we'd at least heard something about him.

Posted by: VBFan | July 14, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely hope Ted isn't like the fans who check out the players that their team decided not to draft or sign, and then insist that their GM be fired because he didn't draft or sign them. I doubt it because he built a successful business and a successful franchise and so must have figured out how fatally silly that would be.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

John Wall = Best Role Model Athlete in Washington

Posted by: CPortisRun | July 14, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Singleton can probably get a better offer from another team than what the Wiz are likely to put on the table.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 15, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

And Singleton would likely want to play on a contending team like Dallas rather than be a 10th or 11th man on a major rebuilding effort like the Wiz....I'm expecting him to be signed by a better team for more money that the Wiz would offer

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 15, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I am a Kentucky fan and now you know why we loved this kid so much. Based on what I saw last year he is the real deal and I think you Wizard fans are in for a treat. He's not only a one in a million athlete he's also a one in a million person.

Posted by: lee34 | July 17, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse