John Wall cancels ESPY appearance

In a last-second change of heart, John Wall has elected to stay in Las Vegas and will decline his invitation to Los Angeles to make an appearance at the ESPY Awards. His adviser and business manager, Brian Clifton, informed the team that this week is about the Wizards and getting acclimated to the NBA, so the 19-year-old will bypass the event, which is hosted by "Saturday Night Live" personality Seth Meyers and airs live tonight at 9 p.m.

Wall had originally intended to catch a flight to Los Angeles after the Wizards' morning scrimmage against the Portland Trail Blazers and then fly back before the team's walk-through on Thursday. Dwon Clifton, another adviser and co-agent for Wall, said some unexpected scheduling conflicts, including a meeting for NBA rookies, would've forced Wall to scramble to make a difficult and quick turnaround. Basketball "is most important this week and we didn't want to disrupt the focus on that," Dwon Clifton wrote in a text message on Wednesday.

Wall has averaged 21 points, nine assists and eight turnovers through the first two summer league games. The Wizards (2-0) will return to action on Thursday against Dallas.

By Michael Lee  |  July 14, 2010; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  John Wall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall heading to Los Angeles for the ESPYs [updated]
Next: Video: Prisbell, Wang discuss John Wall

Comments

How refreshing - a mature, responsiple decision based on where his priorities should be - this is the most encouraging development yet

Posted by: junkmail0153 | July 14, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

man, what a kid...

Posted by: merajc86 | July 14, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Substance over style from a modern athlete? Be still my heart.

Posted by: EYoung77 | July 14, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

good lord this kid is too good to be true

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

good lord this kid is too good to be true

Posted by: divi3

Until we find out next week that his 'meeting' was an appointment to "make it rain" that he couldn't miss ;-)

Posted by: ts35 | July 14, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I love this decision. It seems like a small deal, but it reflects big on his character and priorities.

Posted by: travisloop | July 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

He had a press conference just to announce a press conference.
If he punched you in the face you would have to fight the urge to thank him.
He is the most interesting man in the world.

John Wall
stay thirsty my friends

Posted by: jefferu | July 14, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. What decision do you think Gilbert would have chosen?
Exactly.

Posted by: minorthread | July 14, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Great decision!!

@jefferu-- lol

Posted by: DirtyFoote | July 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks John. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | July 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The kid just spoiled bulletsfan78's day. He had his rants all lined up and ready to go.

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Love it.

Posted by: mjsciann1 | July 14, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

is this kid really the real deal. I have to really say I proud of his decision to put the team first. we may have the next great player here in DC. I just may have to get ticket to a few games this year

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | July 14, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

WELL DONE sir. As fans I'm sure we all want to see D.C. stars get more pub for positive things like the ESPY's, but decisions like this go a long way as far as building the Wiz back up from both a competitive and fan loyalty standpoint. Superstar rookie displaying some accountability, keep it up.

Posted by: saltine182 | July 14, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Good. Seems like he is about real business, not monkey business!

Posted by: Theone9 | July 14, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

What a great sign. Mr. Wall, you are already earning my respect! As our new leader on and off the court you are setting the right tone!

Posted by: Hondo5 | July 14, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

H'mm, advisors that actually give good advise and tell the kid to worry about the day job...

LeBron could have used a couple of those...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 14, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. What decision do you think Gilbert would have chosen?
Exactly.

Posted by: minorthread

Listen before the gun incident no one questioned Gilberts dedication to the game. This is the guy who spends hours in the Phonebooth afterhours practicing his jumper. You act as if Gil has a reputation for not puttig the game first. Gil is known for being a jerk not a slacker dude! So before you trash the guy at least get your facts straight.. otherwise you look like a jealous d0uche.

Posted by: davefromdc1 | July 14, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm impressed with the kid. Good decision!

Posted by: thecomedian1 | July 14, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Huh! Could someone ask his advisors to speak to the rest of the team about priorities. Tell them to speak to Fat Albert also.

Posted by: classicskins | July 14, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Yahoo's Woj tweet that Shaun Livingston signed a 2 year $7.0 Million deal with Charlotte.

I didn't see him as a good fit for our guard heavy team anyway.

Posted by: isnadd | July 14, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Charlotte Observer reports that Shaun Livingston is close to signing with Bobcats.

If so, that gives them a legit PG once again.

Posted by: elfreako | July 14, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow, $7mill to sign Livingston?? Larry is going to be up in arms! Yeah, of course he wants a chance to play...but it's hard to imagine he wouldnt have signed here for $10mill or whatever

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know how "hessone" feels about J. Wall's ESPY decision?

Posted by: millineumman | July 14, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Livingston can't guard a guy with average quickness, much less a guy like Wall. Looking forward to seeing those two go at it.

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

divi3, are you saying that if someone gives Livingston $7 mil the wiz should give him $10 mil to stay?

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davefromdc1

Not entirely true. Gil is definitely a workaholic / gym rat, but he never put the effort in on defense. He had a tendency to want to do things his way, instead of the coaches way. Remember the game after Eddie criticized him for not passing enough? And he went out and proceeded to not shoot the ball at all (until the 4th quarter I think). Then there was the end of his injured season when he came back and announced to the press that he was starting before telling his coach.

There's a lot of stuff like that out there, most of which is comparatively minor, but let's not pretend that Gil was a complete model player either.

Posted by: ts35 | July 14, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Did you watch games @ the end of last year? He did pretty well on the defensive end. I esp remember when he played against New Orleans where he dominated Chris Paul...

He played pretty well for us...esp after he started...This is a good opportunity for him with Larry Brown

Posted by: merajc86 | July 14, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 3:24 PM

I'm saying that Shaun Livingston is worth 2/$10mill imo.

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

WOW all positive comments *tear drops from eye* looks like the Wiz are on track! But uh EG better make sure this team is a contender in 2-3 years because the way the NBA trend is going, Wall will go to a super-team recruited by other "good" players!

Posted by: rdskns1975 | July 14, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Livingston will always have lateral quickness issues on the defensive end, that's just how it's going to be. But the right coach sees a PG who can post many 3s in this league, let alone pg/sg's

what disappointments me is that i dont think EG ever had any real intent of trying to keep him, but it's understandable given his knee issue and that we already have Mr.Knee in Gil.

but Livingston can ball for sure, no doubt about that. He played quite well towards the end of the year. You could see the confidence in the knee growing nightly and his game improving with it.

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: merajc86 | July 14, 2010 3:28 PM

I remember games when he looked good on offense with his passing and scoring, but I don't remember him giving anybody the business on defense. Paul has got quicks to spare and I don't recall Livingston bothering him at all. I'm not convinced that his knees will hold up for a full season, much less two, but I do hope he stays healthy and makes a little noise in the league.

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

It's funny. Says he decided this week is about the Wizards but the true reason is because of the jam up on the scheduling.

Still like the decision not to take a chance on missing some important meetings.

Posted by: HanMy | July 14, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I remember that game especially because Paul couldn't do anything against him. And on offense, he abused Paul on the post. Now, I am not saying SL is better than Paul by any means, but by the end of the year, he was a good, solid PG in the NBA.

And divi3, I agree with your sentiment...if I were the Pacers (who needs a PG badly), I would have given him a 3 year/$12 mil contract because I think he is definitely worth the risk.

Posted by: merajc86 | July 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the thing that gave everybody pause is the status of Livingston's knees. His talent is not questioned. And let's face it, everytime he went up for a rebound or layup this year, we held our collective breath that nothing would explode when he landed. Again, I'm hoping for the best for Livingston, but I understand not spending that kind of money on him, given the cash invested in Wall, Arenas and Hinrich and the horrendous injury he's coming back from. Seems like when they traded for Hinrich and kept Arenas they had already written Livingston off.

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, news of Livingston kinda caused me to holla Feed Us Cherry Kisses.

And what's up with this crap about Livingston can guard no one?

Can you defense guru's just hold it for a second?

Hell, if Livingston was as good defensively as he is otherwise, he'd be an NBA star.

Give me a break.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 14, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Wall is making all the right moves, so far.

Posted by: anw821 | July 14, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

From nba.com

""- Free agent forward Josh Howard still is seriously considering re-signing with the Washington Wizards, despite the team having renounced its rights to him earlier this month, and despite Washington's being in rebuilding mode, according to a source with knowledge of Howard's thinking.

The 30-year-old is also considering the Celtics and Bulls, playoff teams that would seem to have distinct advantages over the rebuilding Wizards, and the Knicks are making their pitch today at the Vegas Summer League. But monetary and loyalty concerns have combined to keep Washington in the mix. Howard appeared in just four games for Washington after being acquired from Dallas as part of a seven-player trade for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson before suffering a torn ACL in a game in late February. Howard is not expected to be back for the start of next season but should be back on the court before the All-Star break.

The Wizards renounced their rights to him last week in order to facilitate the trade that brought guard Kirk Hinrich and the rights to first-round pick Kevin Seraphin from Chicago. That means Washington no longer has "Bird rights" for Howard. But the Wizards could re-sign Howard if he opted to come back. And Washington still has a need at small forward, with Al Thornton the current starter on the depth chart.

"Josh has an appreciation for them having gotten him from Dallas," the source said. "He feels a sense of loyalty and gratefulness to them."

But the reality is that the Wizards can make an offer to Howard that is competitive with what Chicago can give, and more than what the Celtics can currently give.

Washington has a little less than $9 million in available cap space with the salaries of Hinrich, forward Yi Jianlian, rookies John Wall and Seraphin and veteran center Hilton Armstrong on the roster, giving Washington 11 players, one short of the offseason minimum 12 required. The Wizards are not expected to use anything near all of it.""

Posted by: Firuz1 | July 14, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Aww come on folks. Don't start with the annoiting oil areadly. He made a good decision. He is a smart fellow. There was a scheduling conflict.

I am sure he is aware how Jamison missed the flight last year to attend and event and the snow screwed his plans.

If anything can go wrong, Murphy's Law says that the chances are great that something will go wrong.

He can make a decision. Good!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 14, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Priorities! Well done, John Wall.

Posted by: JPRS | July 14, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

You know, this blog is funny to me. It started out positive about John Wall, and it's turning into someone who is NO LONGER A WIZARD! I could care less what SL does now...Heez a Bobcat, and when The Wiz play them..."I HOPE" we whoop dat arse!

You make pretend "GM'S" kill me with all your knowledge and stats, and know how on how to build a team, but yet.....you put down your team (you guys KNOW who you are) more then you "try" to uplift them. I'm not saying EVERYTHING has to be positive....but DAYUM!! Y'all think you know so much, then PLEEEEEASE go take Ernie's job and point the franchise in the right direction. I see why you guys are getting paid thousands to put your "OPINIONS" on here (that was a joke about getting paid for this in case you didn't get it).

Now, I'm happy that J-Dub chose to by-pass the ESPY's and concentrate on building "more" team chemistry, but playing Devil's advocate for a minute.....what would have been so wrong with him attending? He already fulfilled his obligation of B-ball practice and scrimmages today....so why can't he have a "LIFE" outside of b-ball when the job is done? It sounds like you guys want the man to "LIVE,BREATH, and EAT" b-ball all day every day. Something tells me at 5pm when "MOST" of you get off from work, I doubt very seriously that you guys go home to work some more. You all have a life "after" work....why can't he? I'm not saying I want to hear about him being at The LUX Lounge, or at a Gentleman's club, or getting in to trouble....but DAYUM, he's 20yrs old. Don't make the man end up like Michael Jackson and not have a childhood.

Yes....I know he's playing am adult game and needs to take it serious, but something tells me (now I may be wrong) that he does. I think this young man has a great head on his shoulders and has been through a lot. Not to mention his advisors seem to be in his corner with what he should and should not do.

We have someone special in this kid....lets enjoy it while we can.

And stop beating up on Gilbert Arenas already....I think we get the point about how much you guys dislike him now....plus, I really don't think he gives a DAYUM what y'all think about him. Not to mention....He's a WIZARD until further notice.

I'm off my soap box now!!

Posted by: DAGEEZ | July 14, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Yup LarryInClintonMD,

Unlike YOUR BOY Gilbert, he actually made a good decision.

This is a very good sign. He could've been in LA in an hour if he wanted to go to the ESPY's so scheduling conflict my ass...

Posted by: kevenjones | July 14, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. What decision do you think Gilbert would have chosen?
Exactly.

Posted by: minorthread | July 14, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

an OOzie, a Bazooka, two 9 mm's with sliencers and a crutches for his knees that will never heal

Posted by: mrhney03 | July 14, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

john wall vs. roddy beaubois. his first real competition. beaubois is just as fast, can match him shot for shot, and is the closest thing he will see to real nba competition.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | July 14, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

GOOD--focus on being a good pro-basketball player first and last. Going to the Espys will not help your team win a single game, but it can continue to absorb you in the hype-entertainment game. Then you're probably not a winning asset for the city.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | July 14, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

What really happened is he would'nt have been able to catch a flight out of LA till tomorrow morning, because most of the private jets were booked. Come on and let's keep it real. I know how that NBA circle rolls and trust me he wanted to be at the ESPY's.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | July 14, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTaylor42 | July 14, 2010 4:38 PM
___________________________________________

...and going to The ESPY's will not lose a single game "IN JULY" for your team either. This kid has been getting "HYPED" since he was 15yrs old.

So let me ask you something then CTaylor...do you go out to the movies, concerts, kids games, vacations, etc? I wonder if your boss thinks you're any less valuble because your not focused on being a better employee 24/7. And if you were to do the things mentioned above.....I guess that makes you less of an asset to your company too then.

C'mon...cut the kid a break. I doubt he'd be playing ball at 9pm (when The ESPY'S will air) anyway. I would much rather him be getting rest to be able to make it to morning practice on time bright eyed and bushey tailed.

Posted by: DAGEEZ | July 14, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DAGEEZ | July 14, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I don't think anyone would have criticized him either way...He earned the Espy awards so if he went, great....It's for his accomplishments. However, we realize him putting that on the shelf and taking basketball seriously....This is well deserved praise. He made a choice, and appreciates it...

Posted by: merajc86 | July 14, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nfcBEaST | July 14, 2010 4:29 PM

yup...should be a great matchup. And Ronnie Buckets has got to be among the best nicknames in the L

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how Gilbert's name always pops up around any Wizards player on any board.

People must eat, sleep and drink Gilbert all day to have that kind of complex.

Sucks to be those people I guess...

Posted by: cbmuzik | July 14, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

roddy buckets that is

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I don't think anyone would have criticized him either way

Posted by: merajc86 | July 14, 2010 4:53 PM
___________________________________________

You don't........have you read the earlier post on here. People are "praising" him for not going.....could you imagine if he had gone what they would have said?

I bet you there will be A LOT of players/coaches/Owner's there. I'm just wondering if that makes them any less "serious" about their jobs.

Just saying.....

Posted by: DAGEEZ | July 14, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Bravo young man!!

Posted by: ML1001 | July 14, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

TeddyL's 100 must do in life checklist is rubbing off on this kid.
Kudos JW!

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 14, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

You all can stop worrying...Livingston to Bobcats for a modest 2yr/$7m.

Posted by: akmed0 | July 14, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm saying that Shaun Livingston is worth 2/$10mill imo.

Posted by: divi3 | July 14, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree, but its water under now, so let's NOT sign Howard and get cartier martin or someone like him on to fill out the required 12 and then sign some 10-day cats this season, like we did last and see if we can find another SL.

I can See Miami is signing every one or two year FA that has never won a title. Whatever.

Juwan Howard and Z can get on that team, but does a title really mean anything to you if you play 6 minutes a game or are the weak link on the team? I guess it gives you something to put on your Wiki page, but ask Adam Morrison if he feels like a Champion for riding pine while the rest of the team won a ship?

Posted by: Blurred | July 14, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DAGEEZ

Well, considering there was an earlier Insider post saying he was going....and no one said word one about it.........I'm going to say people were fine if he had decided to go. It's just nice in some sense that he decided not to.

Posted by: ts35 | July 14, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyword on how the scrimage went? I would think Nick Young would start over Al, unless Nick can be perceived as a scoring threat from the bench. Don't forget about Trevor Booker or Yi starting at the 3 either. The Wiz are finally a BIG team, I would still like to see Morrison get a shot.

Posted by: Gooddad | July 14, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

So Livingston landed on a playoff team where he might get his chance to start -- good luck to him.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Related News -- MUST READ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George Karl Receives Jimmy V Award at 2010 ESPYs