Kevin Seraphin signs with Washington Wizards, reaches buyout with French team [UPDATED]

The Wizards roster will soon be at 12 players after first-round pick Kevin Seraphin's contract is validated by the league office in the next few days. Seraphin recently reached a buyout agreement with his French club, Cholet, with the Wizards paying $500,000 to free him from his obligations, according to his agent, Bouna Ndiaye.

Seraphin was acquired, along with Kirk Hinrich, in a draft-day deal with Chicago. As the 17th overall pick, he can sign a two-year deal worth about $2.7 million, with the Wizards holding team options for the next two years. With Josh Howard expected to sign signing a one-year deal worth close to $4 million on Thursday night, the Wizards payroll now stands at roughing $53 million, which still gives them about $5 million to fill out the roster.

Ndiaye said that Seraphin still hopes to get his work visa completed next month and plans to be in the United States for the NBA rookie transition program in Palisades, N.Y., from Aug. 17-20. Seraphin was recently cut from the French national team, as he continues to rehab from a minor knee injury suffered in May. Ndiaye said that Seraphin would likely not be in New York for the scrimmage between Team USA and France on Aug. 15.

By Michael Lee  |  July 29, 2010; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  Josh Howard , Kevin Seraphin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Josh Howard returning to the Wizards
Next: Andray Blatche visits Nationals Park

Comments

Cool. Wonder if any of the remaining money will go Singleton's way. For a team claiming to try and toughen up, you'd think the way he played last season would make him a guy they want to retain.

With Singleton, Howard, Hinrich, and (maybe) Wall....you could roll out some seriously defensive/rebounding minded rotations. A few minutes of Wall-AB as the main scoring option with the other positions playing lock down defense. I've certainly seen worse lineups around here.

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I like more good news about Seraphin. I'd favor singleton for a league minimum but at least invite him to camp.

Posted by: jefferu | July 29, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

This is great news! In the words of Conan, this season we will "crush our enimies, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their women!"

Posted by: MeviousMan | July 29, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Having a slow center should not slow down a running team if the guy is a strong rebounder and a good passer. Shaq is both.

The Wiz did finish the season over the cap, they didn't get under until they renounced a batch of guys earlier this month. I doubt they make any play for Shaq. But I do think he'd fit in with this team. I'm sure not a cap expert, but I think the Wiz have access to the MLE.

Think Shaq wouldn't dearly love to go into Miami and beat Riley and the triplets? With this team, if they got healthy and hot, Shaq could be a real weapon in the playoffs. Wall's a winner, give him the best chance to do it...
GM
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't disagree with any of this. I just question the point of adding a guy like shaq.

he is known for taking long stretches of the regular season off. He is no longer very effective (as shown by the "impact" he had in Cleveland and Pheonix the past couple years. And most importantly, he would not be part of any championship contending team here, because the rest of this team, while looking better than it did a few weeks ago, is not up to that par yet.

So what we would get is a way past his prime overpriced vet with a suspect work ethic taking up minutes from our 3rd year star in training, JaVale.

the benefit I might see in this is if he went hard at McGee and Seraphin every practice. But Shaq ain't known for going hard in practice, since he basically takes about 2 months off every season.

Posted by: Blurred | July 29, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

lets get Antoine Walker to come in and play the 3. He'd be a great mentor for our younger guys.

Posted by: Blurred | July 29, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The other shoe has finally fallen.

Seraphin is now in the fold with little fanfare and even less drama. Before long, we'll hear that he's smashing heads for no good reason at his local airport as he awaits his flight to Washington to be a part of this new era of DC basketball.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Posted by: melodious_thunk | July 29, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

and maybe we can get AI to model some work ethic and overall behavior for Wall

Posted by: Blurred | July 29, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Seraphin would probably benefit from having a guy who can bust his ass at the drop of hat (like Shaq) to practice against. Lord knows he saw nothing like it in europe (look at that clip).

But Shaq aint coming here.

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I liked the little I saw of Seraphin in that clip. Decent footwork, uses either hand effectively, back-to-the-basket game. You can see the potential he has. He'll be able to grow up with the rest of the kids.

Posted by: keithward64 | July 29, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

No mention yet of James Singleton by EG. The guy played well in significant minutes after acquired and is a rugged, veteran rebounder with some leadership skills. One would think he would be a good mentor for Seraphin and provide some needed depth behind Blatche. I'm not sold on Yi at PF for a variety of reasons. If Singleton is willing to sign a one-year deal for $2M, it would make sense to add him to the roster.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 29, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Blurred, The only place this roster isn't up to par is at center. Right now there's not much on the market either.

With Seraphin signed, and McGee on board the Wiz look very strong in back ups, just no real starter. Shaq is all of the things you said. But he can still give a team a good 15-30 minutes a night of a really big man in the middle.

Shaq says he intends to play some where this year. His choices of playoff bound clubs seems to be somewaht limited. In some ways Atlanta would make sense, but I don't think they've got the money to sign him.

So right now I haven't even read any rumors of who's pursuing him. I just think he might relish the Shaq daddy role in a team with a young star like Wall. People thought he was about done when he left the Lakers, then he hooked up with DWade and it was like the fountain of youth for a year.

Off the court Shaq would take a lot of pressure off of Wall, he's done this media thing thousands of times. Having Shaq around might even keep Gil at home at night too if the rumors are true. And at this point's what's Gil going to do? He's sure not bringing a gun to the locker room.

In Phoenix they slowed the team to a crawl and wanted to play half court ball to use Shaq on offense, in Cleveland LeBron dominates the ball more then anyone in the game. Shaq wasn't the only guy that couldn't blend his game to LeBron's, that's why I'm not convinced that Miami is going to be unbeatable.

Shaq would need to be convinced his biggest strength at this point of his career is as a defensive rebounder that can get the ball out to a guy like Wall.

He's been known to rest on defense to concentrate on offense, he'd need to flip his thinking like Wilt did. If he can't do that he's not going to find anybody lining up to get him...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 29, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Though undersized, I think Singleton is about as good as they're going to do for remaining big man options. At least they know he plays hard. And (hopefully) he's also not the kind of guy they would feel bad leaving on the bench to get the pups minutes.

That aside, as much as I wouldn't want the Wiz going into the season expecting to lose, I think chasing wins this year is less important than seeing what they have with their young players.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Great move to get him in, rather than let him "season" in Europe for a year or two. He is at a key point in his development. This way he gets NBA tough and savvy--much quicker than if he stayed over in France.

Getting the highest-rated international player plus Hinrich for free is an astounding move.

Posted by: EdDC | July 29, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

My only criticism: another guy with a bum knee.

Shaq ain't coming to DC, you all can give that one up. He's too arrogant/proud to ever do that. He'll sit as a bench warmer on a championship team before coming here. It honestly wouldn't shock me to see him even go back to Miami, even after eveything he said about Riley.

- Ray

"E.Grunfeld's a BUST!"

Posted by: rmcazz | July 29, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | July 29, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Don't give up your day job, 'Dray. :)

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 1:05 PM

Remember after the "incident" with Flip last season how many of our resident experts were saying AB wasnt disciplined because EG was trying to keep his trade value high so he could be shipped off at the first opportunity? I suppose having him around VC for basically the whole offseason as de factor face-of-the-franchise is just another layer of that crafty plan?

Truth is, EG and Ted know full well that AB/Wall are potentially the foundation of a potent starting 5. Wall is going to make things easier for AB, I wouldnt be surpised to see him avg 23/8 but on 51%FG rather than 47%

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

the jump hook floater looks nice and "fluid" he tossed up a few in the wizards workout with no D so it was nice to see him put it up there against some "real defenders"

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

vladimir veremeeko > Kevin Paraffin

eg FTL

Posted by: prescrunk | July 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | July 29, 2010 1:23 PM

Agree, and all the euroleague clips I've seen are like that. However sounds like he killed it at the Nike Hoops summit, maybe Mike lee can throw some of those highlights up

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

My only criticism: another guy with a bum knee. How are they ever going to post a full roster if all of their guys are going to start the season hurt??

Posted by: rmcazz

you're complaining about how the wizards might start the season? you're reaching dude. the last two-three months tell the story about what kind of team the wizards have. if the only thing that mattered was the first few weeks of the season the playoffs would start in december. they don't. relax.

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I think it goes a long way to back up the idea that McGee really needs to hunker down if he can't make a team in dire need of bigs and he can't even beat out a guy recovering from mono.

And I'm sure plenty will say they're idiots for cutting him. But k and colangelo have the medals. We are kings of a message board...

Posted by: crs-one | July 29, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 1:45 PM

wouldn't be surprised to see blatche's assists go up too.

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10

Don't know if it will work quite as well in the NBA, but it's a good start. He at least appears to have the basic footwork for those kinds of moves down. Granted those were "highlights" but I saw ok footwork, a solid shoulder fake, a (semi) counter move, and decent touch around the hoop. All good building blocks.

Tough to judge because I don't know the size of the guys he's going against, but it seemed a bit like he wasn't getting a lot of lift and height on those shots, which will have to change in the NBA. We shall see once he gets here.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Possible. But they also have better scorers than they did at the end of last year when AB was having the offense run through him.

I do expect a dip in his ppg based on that, but I agree that his efficiency should go up. I think 18/8 on 50+% shooting is a reasonable expectation. 20+ ppg is definitely possible, but I would be happier with 18/10 than 23/8. Maybe he'll make everyone happy and go 23/10.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

karl malone didn't have a lot of lift either, but what he could do was create separation with his physicality to get his shot off. seraphin might surprise us all (and no, i'm not saying he's karl malone).

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: omgwthrotfl

Suffice to say that Seraphin is a lot closer to Kendrick Perkins right now than Karl Malone. I do know what you're saying, the same applies to guys like DeJuan Blair, etc. Girth / Strength is another way to create space for your shot.

WRT Karl Malone. My recollection is that Karl used as much lift as was necessary to get the job done. He definitely had the hops when he needed them.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe he'll make everyone happy and go 23/10."
Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Not everyone. People will still find fault. Heck that is what this section is know for.

Posted by: Dave381 | July 29, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

At 15, Malone was leading his h.s. to a 2nd state championship. At 15, seraphin was playing his first game. That's a critical difference that (imo) will make Seraphin a more defensive oriented player (nothing wrong with that, and in fact it's what we need).

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe he'll make everyone happy and go 23/10."
Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave381

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

We were talking about a style of play and trying to gleen based on a minute's worth of blocky video footage if Seraphin can be effective on O, not whether he will be another Karl Malone or has Karl Malone's skill-set.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"Well if we're going to make those kinds of comparisons, you know who else played his first game at 15? Hakeem Olajuwon. What does it mean? Nothing."

If you think not playing a skill sport like basketball until you are 15 means nothing, I'm not sure what to tell you other than I disagree (despite Dream).

"We were talking about a style of play and trying to gleen based on a minute's worth of blocky video footage if Seraphin can be effective on O"

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Well, yes, if he goes for 23/10 and totally half-asses it on D, I will still find fault."

Like Antawn Jamison....a former all-star with far worse D than Andre?

Posted by: Dave381 | July 29, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

When I was 15 I scored my 10,000th point in park basketball. I was called a young Larry Bird until I realized that I was only 5'10" tall. Seraphin reminds me alot of the way Igoudala plays. Extremely athletic. A little unorthodox, and always at full speed. Seraphin is no Percherov.I think it will take a few seasons for Serephin to be a real NBA player. But he is young and he can rebound and he clearly has the physique, quickness,athleticism and attitude to be a very good NBA guy. I see him as a sixth man, a high energy player the Wiz can bring off the bench. I think Grunfeld got away with one this year.

Posted by: firemetalrat | July 29, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

you peep the bunnie when he caught the oop? i dunno what his vert is, but he got up there for the alley. i know that doesn't necesarrily translate to jumpshooting or moves in the post, which don't allow for a running start, but i think he's an athlete with some good fundamentals and a nice soft touch around the basket. it should be fun to watch him grow, he looks like he's closer than N'Diaye by a mile.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 29, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Your parenthetical pretty much says it all. It matters, except when it doesn't. It matters a lot less about when you pick up a basketball as it does what you put into the game once you do, how hard you're willing to work, and also how much inherent athletic talent you have to begin with. McGee's been playing longer, but Seraphin already has better post footwork (a low standard I grant you).

The one where strong players and wide players use their physicality to create their shots. And yes, it does work in the NBA. All the time. Dwight Howard. David Lee. Al Jefferson. Zach Randolph. Al Horford. Carlos Boozer. Kendrick Perkins. DeJuan Blair. Paul Millsap. You know, the style of play where guys much shorter and less athletic than McGee would score all over him because they would just bump him out of the way.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the measurements from the Euro Combine are wrong. Pretty sure Seraphin is 6'11". ;-)

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Like Antawn Jamison....a former all-star with far worse D than Andre?

Posted by: Dave381

Yep, pretty much exactly like that. And if Dray gives up the baseline the way AJ did to LeBron in the Wizards / Cavs playoff series, I'm gonna re-break his foot.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 2:49 PM

it might mean something, but obviously it doesn't mean everything. i definitely don't think it automatically puts a ceiling on how far seraphin can go offensively over his career.

the guy defending seraphin in the video (#13) looks to actually be taller than seraphin. due to defenses switching or breaking down, there will be times when seraphin has smaller guys on him in the nba. it's nice to know that he at least has a little offensive game at this point to try to take advantage of it. if javale were consistently taking (and making) the shots we see in the video, you and i would be raving about it, smaller guys or not. no fadeaways for seraphin!

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

And they say Simon Cowell is hard to please. What's next? Kick Arenas in his injured knee?

Posted by: Dave381 | July 29, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10

Yep, I think he has the requisite athleticism to do it, he'll likely have to adjust for the NBA. I'm sure he's used to being stronger than most of the guys he's going against.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave381

Because clearly expecting players to play offense AND defense....in the same game!....is asking too much.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

This board just gets crazier and crazier. Shaq? Coming to DC? He was so scared of Arenas going postal with him for nailing his old lady that he avoided the games that Cleveland played against the Wizards until after Arenas was banned for the season.

Think management--or Shaq--wants to stir all that up again? Duh.

Posted by: KTV1 | July 29, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Don't see anything in that clip not to like. He displays a pretty solid set of fundamental skills and shows a willingness to bang bodies. All good things. Granted, whether any of it translates to the NBA is an open question, but it's a pretty good place to start.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

after the trades, amongst PFs, Dray was:

4th in points.
9th in rebs.
3rd in assists.
2nd in steals.

If he's healthy, PF isnt going to be an issue. Not expecting him to be lockdown defender, but he has active hands and length.

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Not expecting him to be lockdown defender, but he has active hands and length.
Posted by: divi3

I don't expect lock down defense from him, either. 18/8 with average D through consistent effort will work for me.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"The only place this roster isn't up to par is at center.posted by flohrtv"

I guess that depends on what you've decided 'par' is, for this particular course.

The club's young, everybody agrees on that point. They'll have rookies at PG and probably getting significant minutes at both forward positions. Blatche, the only legit inside scoring threat, will be at camp coming off a broken foot. Josh Howard is probably not going to be ready for the start of the season. Nick Young could fill in, of course, if there's a designated need for 'shake'n'bake artist'.

Gilbert could be every bit as reliable as he was last season.

I dunno, that's a lot of question marks. Really, the big change in this club is John Wall. We fanz should probably be lighting candles for his continued good health. I just read where DC's other saviour, Stephen Strasburg, went on the DL today.

Hey, it's the off-season, when everything seems possible, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"The only place this roster isn't up to par is at center.posted by flohrtv"

I guess that depends on what you've decided 'par' is, for this particular golf course.

Gilbert could be every bit as reliable as he was last season.

Hey, it's the off-season, when everything seems possible, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 3:30 PM

I'm not down on Seraphin, just think it's on defense where he'll really have a chance to shine and contribute at the beginning of his career.

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I hear what you are saying, Flohrtv, but I just think that since this ain't our year, why waste minutes on Shaq (I don't care about the cash, cuz its not mine).

If we could ensure that shaq would come in as the backup and push McGee and Seraphin in practice and take on the role as a teacher, then maybe.

Otherwise, I'd rather us pick up Singleton and cycle through some 10-day guys and see if anything sticks - a la Livingstone

Is that belarus center from Radford still available. I don't think he got drafted, so maybe someone like him could surprise. Or what about that pF from Louisville or the center from Duke zouks or whatever?

Maybe nothing comes up (most likely scenario) but maybe we end up with a Ben Wallace or maybe "just" a Haslem that we can keep around for a decade rather than just rent for a year to get 4 extra wins.

Posted by: Blurred | July 29, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I just read where DC's other saviour, Stephen Strasburg, went on the DL today.
Posted by: Samson151

Only because they're being careful with him.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Yahoo says 5'11"
maybe they have the same editors as the Washington "john howard" Post

Posted by: Blurred | July 29, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 3:55 PM

i think what seraphin took in the above video is called a jump hook, but whatever. a good shot is a good shot (something javale doesn't know a thing about yet). hard to say if seraphin's more offensively polished than javale since it's a highlight video from a single game, but then again i don't recall a game where javale made those types of shots in one game. i'm especially impressed by seraphin's willingness to take it toward the basket. he could show javale a thing or two.

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

He is an average defender...if he applied himself, he would be elite...however, i just want above average...

Posted by: merajc86 | July 29, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"i think what seraphin took in the above video is called a jump hook, but whatever."

I was referring to the Verizon C workout vid.

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"If there was video of Javale taking one-handed jumpshots people would be clamoring for Oberto to be re-upped."

Not if there was video of him taking and making them.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 29, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 3:30 PM

Posted by: divi3

I'm with omgwthrotflmaobtwwrtimoftw on this one. If we had seen JaVale making jump hooks, even in Summer League against smaller guys, people on these boards would have lost their damn minds. If we had seen JaVale shooting one-handed jumpers, we would have just said "put it on the list".

But I think you missed the point. I don't think anyone was saying Seraphin was going to come in and light it up offensively. We were just looking at the highlights and speculating on how the skills he showed might translate. Much like JaVale gets credit for having 'soft touch' despite not having refined offensive skills.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I like that in the clips Seraphin is usually putting his shoulder down and moving towards the basket. He'll pick up fouls doing that but ultimately it's what any good inside player does. Not shy away from contact.

But like someone else said, if Larry Sanders of VCU or Ed Davis of NC had been there, Grunfeld might well have gone with one of them. The real problem with foreign players is getting a chance to scout them. They just usually have a higher risk quotient than US players.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm with omgwthrotflmaobtwwrtimoftw on this one.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 4:22 PM

a wiseguy! :-)

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"Only because they're being careful with him.
Posted by: ts35"

I imagine the Wiz'll be the same way with John Wall, don't you?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm just seeing the video. Seraphin can jump and run...he's not just a lug...from what I've seen from him.

When has JaVale ever done the little bit Seraphin did? Just off doing a reverse pivot.

The left handed move at the end was nice. Good that he can use it. He's probably not as athletic as JaVale but he's bigger with that kind of athleticism. And he's not afraid of being in the paint.

I wanna see him play.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 29, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 4:22 PM

I think you missed my point, because I was doing the same thing. Just differing opinions on the same footage. Mcgee(speaking of) would have blocked almost every shot in that clip.

Do we know when that clip was btw? I swear he looks noticeably thinner there than at the VC workout, big difference. I'd like to see the Nike clips since he had such a great game, wonder what his playing weight will be

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"Only because they're being careful with him."
Posted by: ts35"

I imagine the Wiz'll be the same way with John Wall, don't you?

Posted by: Samson151

Pretty sure they already have been, sitting him for that last Summer League game. But it's a little bit apples to oranges because pitchers are in their own weird, special class when it comes to health and maintenance. I don't think they'll sit Wall for 15 days with tendonitis.

Just meant that Strasburg has no specific injury that they've found, just a little stiffness and inflamation, likely (probably, hopefully) because he's thrown a lot more this year than he ever has.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"Mcgee(speaking of) would have blocked almost every shot in that clip."

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"mcgee would've fallen for every single head and shoulder fake seraphin gave and sailed damn near out the gym. i like mcgee, but let's not oversell him."

Posted by: omgwthrotfl | July 29, 2010 4:47 PM

Bit late for that.

That video of Seraphin is encouraging. Really, there's not much else (of substance) to say

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 29, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Nice... The Wizards finally have a guy that doesn't mind playing with his back to the basket. Hopefully, he will toughen quickly in the NBA game.

Posted by: tony325 | July 29, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

If Gil and Shaq are in the same locker room, what's Gil going to do, bring a gun?

Years ago we had one player punch another over a girl they both dated. Funny thing was, the story goes that she wasn't really a girl after all. I just wanted to up hold some of the Bullets/Wizards colorful past.

Hotdogs during warmups anybody?

Years ago when I was a kid going to Bullets games in the old Baltimore Civic Center, on cold week night games Abe would move everybody down from the upper deck, so we all got an instant upgrade.

Then after half time he'd let the people in off the streets, some said he just wanted to let them warm up, but I think it was so when the evening sports came on the next night people saw a big crowd.

Since the old Civic Center was so near "The Block" there would be more then a few "Ladies" in the crowd during the second half. Earl "The Pearl" would have running conversations with them while he was dribbling the ball.

He'd say things like "Oh My Baby you look sooo fine tonight" while he was looking up in the stands. Oh course she'd always stand up and jump up and down and wave. When Earl's defender looked, the Pearl was by him for a layup...

That's the old days, some people on this site need to remember basketball is supposed to be fun.

The old Baltimore Civic Center used to put on one hell of a show on a weekday winter night, they played some good basketball too. All for $2.00 on a student ticket...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 29, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Sure, assuming a) he wasn't on the bench in foul trouble already, b) he'd made it down the floor, c) he didn't go for a pump-fake and d) this year he'll actually be able to hold his ground against stronger players.

I love how you like to speculate that McGee will eventually be able to do anything he wants to on the court, but when we wonder -- not even assert, just wonder -- if Serpahin will be able to adjust his jump-hook for the NBA you give us the immediate Buckhantz-like "No! Not possible! Not possible!"

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | July 29, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, maybe he can lay some financial planning advice for them.

Posted by: anw821 | July 29, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic, I know, but does anyone else think we should pick up an end of the roster point guard? Call me a downer, but with the Wiz you can never tell; if we lose Kirk Hinrich and or John/Gilbert to injury, we're left with only one capable ballhandler/distributor on our roster, that is if you even consider Gil to be of that sort. The PG rotation will consist completely of Wall, Hinrich and Gilbert (in that order of minutes), but if one of them goes down then we'll need a scrub guy to throw in there.

Ernie should step his game up and finally find a veteran C and a solid PG, whether its one who can score or distribute, and solidify the roster. We don't NEED Cartier Martin, though I do like his game and wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wiz uni. These are the times where it's a shame that the whole gun confrontation happened and Javaris Crittenton's ticket was punched. He played really well towards the end of the year two seasons back.

Posted by: TDAV | July 29, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Where did I say anything was not possible? I just have a different impression of this particular footage, no harm no foul. Mine is that initially it's on defense where he can really make a mark. Is that so bad?

Meanwhile you're drawing comparisons to David Lee and Zach Randolf based on a 1min highlight video against a greek team. Talk about overselling.

Posted by: divi3 | July 29, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

by the way, there's another video of Seraphin. This time was against Italy in the ECU20 tourney. It looks to me like he's got a pretty solid grasp on his back to the basket move(s), something you dont find often in young big men. Especially european-groomed ones.

Posted by: TDAV | July 29, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

If any two out of the three of Wall, Gilbert and Hinrich go down, our problems will be slightly larger than who plays PG.

Two things will happen in that case

1) Larry will be posting in caps "I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT LIVINGSTON."

2) EG will have Boykins on speed dial.

Kidding aside, I'm kinda hoping Lester Hudson (our back-up PG from Summer League) makes the roster. He's not a great PG, but he's tough, works hard on D, etc. He'd be an ok "Emergency QB" to borrow football parlance. If not him, hopefully someone maybe with a bit of experience, but also hopefully still a young player. I'm actually not against them bringing back Crit, though to say that's unlikely to happen is a bit of an understatement.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

This clips looks like the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals. I saw nothing in this clip that would suggest that Seraphin comes off the bench before Hilton Armstrong. His highlight is alot more impressive and its against NBA competition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEtKjACpQEg

Posted by: DaBedroomBully | July 29, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Boykins was alright for us in the middle of a horrid season. In one where we're on the cusp of possibly pushing for the 8th seed, and all the while developing young players, he's not who I'd want on the team. I'd love for us to take a shot on a young PG who could potentially become a solid backup for us a year or two down the road. Critt would be perfect for that role, but there's not a chance that he'll be back with us as long as Gilbert is here. Let's pick up a Cedric Jackson or DJ Strawberry-type, play him for a season, and see if he pans out.

Posted by: TDAV | July 29, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Where did I say anything was not possible?
Posted by: divi3

"Which style of play was that? The one where you score on layups and jumphooks against players smaller than you? That one doesnt work in the nba when you're 6'9""
-divi3

"Mcgee(speaking of) would have blocked almost every shot in that clip."
-divi3

Not at all, I think we all agree that he'll be better defensively sooner. But are the rest of us allowed to speculate about his offense? Or is he not supposed to cross half-court?

Once again, jumping way past the point. Omg and I were discussing his ability to use his strength and width to get his shot in the NBA and Omg referenced Karl Malone (while taking pains to say that he wasn't equating the two) as a player of the same size who was able to compete using his strength and bulk. You're the one who jumped on how Karl Malone had been dominating since age 15, and Seraphin is no Karl Malone, which is fine, but we weren't equating the two. Just saying there's a way players who might be an inch or two shorter, but more physical can succeed in the NBA.

Then you asked a specific question about that style of play, I gave you a wide variety of examples of players around the same size who succeed to varying degrees using that style. Did I ever say that Seraphin would be the next Karl Malone or David Lee or Zach Randolph? Nope, I just indicated -- in directly addressing your point -- that it is possible for a player of his size and athleticism to be able to shoot jump hooks in the NBA.

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"Two things will happen in that case
1) Larry will be posting in caps "I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT LIVINGSTON."

Like he hasn't been doing that for the past two weeks.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

"Kidding aside, I'm kinda hoping Lester Hudson (our back-up PG from Summer League) makes the roster."

He was the other one besides Cartier Martin who looked like an NBA player out there.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@divi3,

Agreed about Singleton. A one year deal for the veteran minimum would make some sense.

Posted by: JPRS | July 29, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

[Hudson] was the other one besides Cartier Martin who looked like an NBA player out there.

Posted by: Samson151

Posted by: ts35 | July 29, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

"The other kid I would have considered is djnnou's guy Mikhail Torrance, who just signed with Maccabi Tel Aviv, heart condition or no.Posted by: ts35"

Yes, that seemed bogus. He should be back next season, however.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

adding singleton and Hudson is an appropriate plan.I think hudson might play some defense against smaller Sg/PG in injury situations.

Posted by: gtefferra | July 29, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

lucky number 13.

Posted by: time1 | July 30, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Hope springs eternal in the summer, and I'm hoping that Seraphin is really 6-11, not 6-9, and I'm hoping that he is a great rebounder and defender. Since I've never seen him play, and know next to nothing about the French pro league he is coming from, I'm hoping frankly that he is the next Wes Unseld, only taller. I'm hoping that Seraphin will go down in history as the greatest steal of the draft, ever.

However, I will be happy if he can at least show that he can put up good numbers in the D League, if he gets sent there for a stint, like Thabeet was.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | July 30, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Nike Hoop Summit 2009, USA vs.World. Wall dunk about 50seconds. Seraphin dunk at 2:36 and block 2:45. But a faster USA player also gets around Seraphin for a dunk.

From Draftexpress:
"Kevin Seraphin is in Treviso getting measured. Came out 6-9 in shoes, 278, w/7-3 wingspan, 9-1 standing reach. Walking normal, knee is fine.
2010-06-07 12:45:01

From DraftExpress.com
2010-06-07 12:45:01"

Posted by: rickgonz | July 30, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

"I would have thrown that last shot of his into the stands and I'm only 6'2". I hope he has more than what I just saw.Posted by: original_mark"

He does bring that ball down awfully low on that left-handed hook. A sweeping motion rather than a jump hook. Doesn't seem to be as pronounced from the other side.

Although I feel fairly certain that any 6'2" Wizards blogger would already be on the floor moaning in pain before the shot went up.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

6'9" or 6'11" doesn't make a whole lot of difference. What I've seen from the tapes is long arms and he's a quick leaper for a guy with a big body.

The kid really seems to have some tools to work with and he apparently doesn't mind mixing it up in the lane. There have now been several real surprises come out of that French League, maybe we got the next one.

I know that Seraphin really shot up the draft boards the last few weeks. At one point Draft Express had him just eeking into the first rd and going to the Wiz with the 30th pick.

Then there were some projecting him to go in the top 15 before he hurt the knee. apparently once teams saw him in person they were very impressed.

I hope that we are too.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 30, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Not sure where this Shaq-to-DC talk is coming from, but I'm guessing that ain't happening. I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up in OKC, since they're expected to contend at least for the WC title, and they've got the requisite young all-world swingman that Shaq seems to love teaming up with.

Besides, who cares about Shaq? It's the Javalevator's time!

Posted by: BMoreChil | July 30, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

"Came out 6-9 in shoes, 278, w/7-3 wingspan, 9-1 standing reach. Walking normal, knee is fine."

If those numbers are correct, he's basically the same size as Derrick Caracter. He has about 3" on Derrick with respect to both wingspan and standing reach, however. Gani Lawal is another comparable in terms of height, but like Caracter looks to be several inches shorter in the arms. And a whole lot lighter weight, of course.

I'm with the folks who say Seraphin looks taller on tape. He's awfully well-proportioned for a big guy.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

As for Ndiaye, the comparables in this recent draft look to be Hassan Whiteside and Ryan Richards for height, Solomon Alabi and Jerome Jordan for standing reach. He was 4 lbs lighter than Alabi and 11 lighter than Jordan at the Combine. Definitely big enough to play center in the NBA, but probably needs to put on a little weight.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

"wouldn't be surprised if [Shaq} wound up in OKC..."

What about Chicago?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: carterm1 | July 30, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

it seems everybody has been talking about this guy like he's the second coming.

Posted by: carterm1 | July 30, 2010 9:12 AM

Let's hope he's the 2nd coming of Ben Wallace and not Mouhamed Sene.

Posted by: divi3 | July 30, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope he's the 2nd coming of Ben Wallace and not Mouhamed Sene.

Posted by: divi3 | July 30, 2010 9:25 AM

Agreed!

Posted by: carterm1 | July 30, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"I don't see what the "hoopla" is all about with Kevin Seraphin. He looks like an average player. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pan out in the NBA. I hope he does but, it seems everybody has been talking about this guy like he's the second coming.
Posted by: carterm1"

Geez, I haven't seen that. A lot of the comments have been negative, or at least skeptical. The basic obstacle being that we haven't seen him in game action against NBA quality players, so we're all as uninformed as you are.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards will be terrible again this year. They'll have to contend with Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta, and that's just in their own division. Go ahead and pencil in those losses right off the bat. The only time they might get a division win is when Charlotte comes to town. And that's definitely not guaranteed. Good thing we have zippo to show for last year's number five pick and high second round picks. They'll be lucky if they win 30 games. And by the 20th time Flipper talks about "When I was coaching Garnett," and it's not even yet Christmas, the players will have tuned him out. Kevin Seraphin? Ernie's latest Euro project? Puhleeeze. Leonsis needs to go ahead and clean house. Get rid of Grunfeld, who's high water mark was five years ago when they won 45 games and exited in the second round of the playoffs. And get rid of Saunders, who thinks coaching is about buying ipods for the players in training camp, and then blaming them publicy for everything while taking zero responsibility for anything. Those guys need to go.

Posted by: sonny2 | July 30, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

it seems everybody has been talking about this guy like he's the second coming.

Posted by: carterm1

Considering we spent the past few days before this debating letting Larry Hughes go, I'm just happy to be talking about current Wizards.

I don't think he will be the second coming of Ben Wallace or Mouhamed Sene. I'd be happy with another Kendrick Perkins-like player, and I think that's a reasonable target. Tough, physical inside defender with occasional offense. If he's able to meet that, great! Anything above that, for me, is a bonus.

Posted by: ts35 | July 30, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Check out the Seraphin's workout. He looks a little lazy to me. However, he seems to be huge. It might work if he's mean and he stays inside.

Posted by: carterm1 | July 30, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

N'Diaye looks to be a canidate for the D League. It's really going to be hard to get minutes for 3 developmental guys all at the same time up front.

On the roster he's going to be on of the guys in a suit quite often. In the D League he'd get more court time. The Wizards have made very little use of the D League in the past. I'd look for that to change under Leonsis.

Question is, do they sign him and bring him to camp, or leave him unsigned and direct him to a D league team? If he remains unsigned the Wizards can retain his rights without taking up a roster spot.

BMoreChil, OK City would seem to make sense for Shaq, except for, it's OK City.
Washington isn't LA or South Beach, but it's not OK City either.

Atlanta would be another team that would make some sense, but they've capped out to resign Joe Johnson. They'd need to do some sort of a sign and trade for the big guy.

Chicago does also make some sense to me. But since there seems to be a complete silence in regards to Shaq, he must be really mulling his options and thinking about where he wants to finish up.

I quess in his mind he's preparing for his last hurrah and would like to find a place to play two more years. Signing on to a team that the basketball world thought was toast and leading into the playoff would have a certain appeal to the big guy.

If he thought he could gain a very deep run in a place like Chicago or Atlanta that would have an appeal to him too. What I don't see Shaq doing is signing up to be an extra peice on a team like LA, Miami, or Boston. He's still looking to be treated like a starter.

Except when he takes that month off...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 30, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv | July 30, 2010 10:32 AM

It seems to me like the key for Shaq is going to a team that can make it to the playoffs without him, but who he can help once they get there. Essentially taking on a larger version of the Robert Horry role. Coast through the season, then try and help a team get over the top in May and June.

I can't see Shaq going to the Lakers. Even if they have said they are cool with each other, I can't see Shaq going there as a part-time player to join Kobe pretty much at his height.

The addition of Boozer makes it less important for Chicago to get someone like Shaq.

Atlanta needs something to get over the top, I'm just not sure Shaq is it. But I could see him landing there.

Boston makes some sense, even with the other O'Neal there. Not sure how they make it work cap-wise. Part of it likely depends on Perkins' prognosis.

I think if he was going to go to Miami, he would be there already.

Dallas makes some sense to me. They're still looking for someone who can get them points in the post. Tough to see them bringing him in though with roughly $18M committed to Chandler and Haywood this season.

Would he play for New Orleans or Charlotte? OKC is OKC, but he played in Cleveland, he can deal with OKC. Durant brings enough spotlight to it for him. Paul obviously brings the spotlight to New Orleans. Not sure there is enough 'juice' in Charlotte for Shaq.

With all three of those teams, he might bring something they need, but he might also end up disrupting the way they play too much.

Outside of those teams, and throw in New York and New Jersey as wild-card teams with money to burn, I can't see Shaq fitting in too many other places.

My guess is that somehow he ends up on the Mavericks, perhaps in a somewhat funny scenario of a sign-and-trade that involves Stevenson (plus picks) going to Cleveland.

Posted by: ts35 | July 30, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Shaq could always retire. Playing for the league minimum would be very un-Shaq like....however staying in the spotlight may be priceless for him

Posted by: divi3 | July 30, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Posted by: ts35 | July 30, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I can see Shaq being a decent basketball fit in Dallas (and it was supposedly one of his preferred destinations when he left the Lakers), but he'd be a terrible chemistry fit. As you said, it's hard to see them finding room for him (literally and figuratively) with Haywood and Chandler on board, esp. since all three guys have proven to have fragile egos that don't take much to shatter.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 30, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"The vet minimum for Shaq would be $1.4M, which is nice, but probably not enough to entice him unless he's seriously chasing another ring."

At this point, I can't really see any other reason for him to still play.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that Seraphin workout has been up a couple times already. You can see on that left-handed jump hook, he hits it but he brings the ball all the way down to his waist. That's trouble. Somebody will get a hand on it. If he keeps it up the way he does from the other side, he seems very accurate with it.

Also those one-handed quasi-set shots -- like folks have said, that needs work. You can see the soft hands, an asset for a big man.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"At this point, I can't really see any other reason for him to still play.Posted by: kalo_rama"

No, me either. Although as a late-season addition to a team that has a chance to embarrass Orlando, Miami, or the Lakers -- that might appeal to the Big Fella.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

At this point, I can't really see any other reason for him to still play.

Posted by: kalo_rama

I think he's going to a team that at least has some sort of shot regardless, but if he can get what he's asking for (@$5-6M/yr for two years) I can see him convincing himself that Atlanta or New Orleans or someone like that is a contender vs taking the minimum to sign somewhere like Boston, Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, etc who are demonstrated contenders (well, at least theoretically with Miami).

Totally agree with what you're saying about Dallas. The one plus is that having Chandler and Haywood means that Shaq doesn't have to do much during the regular season (however badly that portends for his conditioning in the playoffs). It does strike me as a very Cuban-like move, too. Aside from that, have to consider it at least 50/50 that Chandler gets hurt at some point this year, Haywood should be somewhat mollified by his fat contract, and has anyone every really cared about Haywood's ego?

Posted by: ts35 | July 30, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Haywood's ego isn't the issue, per se. It's the effect that any perceived slight to his ego can have on his on-court performance that's an issue. And having just shelled out a huge contract to the guy, the Mavs have a very vested interested in caring about it. And, in a larger sense, one of the ongoing knocks against the Mavs (and, by extension, Nowitzki as their franchise player) is that they lack strong leadership in the locker room. Given that, bringing in as huge and potentially divisive personality as Shaq is a major risk, possibly big enough that the downside of it could overwhelm the upside of what he brings on the court.

Samson's point about a team picking Shaq up in the second half of the season (as we've seen previously with guys like PJ Brown) has some merit. The big problem with it is that, given Shaq's less than avid devotion to offseason conditioning, if you wait until February to sign him, that just gives him extra time to balloon up and torture the scales. I can't imagine he'll be less than 400 pounds in that circumstance.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

ts35,
I'd agree with you on the run down of the teams and their potential as a home for Shaq.

The old guy isn't in quite the demand that he was a couple of years ago. So Washington might not be so farfetched, but I'd agree OK City, and Chicago are the two most likely places.

The reason I think Washington could have some appeal is two fold. One, it's a roster that could make a late run to the playoffs if Shaq could play some solid ball at center.

Two, the whole Wall think, from the crowds at Vegas, Wall could be the next big thing in this league. If the Wizards improve rapidly there's going to be a media feeding frenzy around Wall. Nobody better then Shaq to serve as the media sage to take the pressure off the kid.

I'd love to see a really big body in Wizards Camp to work at center with the young guys. This team is also pretty weak on defensive rebounding since that's McGee's biggest weakness as a center.

I don't think Leonsis pursues Shaq because of the Jamir Jager factor. He got burned on the Capitals going after a big star in the league. He's now convinced himself to go the way of growing your own stars.

But sometimes the right vet at the right time can help the kids grow up. The Howard signing and the fact that Gil has not been shipped out for bubkis, convinces me that Grunfeld wants to blend some vets ino this rebuilding.

If Shaq can come in and pull down 6 to 8 defensive rebounds per game and spring Wall & Co. on the fast break he could easily swing this young team to 5-10 more victories.

Since Howard has been signed the Wiz could always offer Yuong to Cleveland on a sign and trade. Right now he appears to be the odd man out with Gil moving to the 2 and Howard at the 3.

Dampier is another guy who I think the Wiz should keep their eyes on. He's another rugged rebounder that could split center duties until these young guys mature some. Murphy in Indiana is another to watch, he's on the last year of his deal too.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Shaq should and needs to retire. There's only one thing that's keeping him interested in playing, "Basketball Wives". Enough said.

Posted by: carterm1 | July 30, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

GM I cant believe you are on this Shaq kick. I usually agree with your thoughts but on this subject I couldn't disagree more.

Yes Shaq can still board a little when motivated and yes he can deflect media attention. But Gil and Shaq in the same locker room? and Shaq as mentor on a non-playoff team? No, No, NO!!! Heinrich was clearly brought in as the mentor for Wall. and I have always loved his game. He is tough and a deadly shooter. (Cheers to Ernie for the draft week "Heinrich Manuevre.")

But we don't need to have Flip worried about dealing with Shaq's overweight ego (pun intended). We need to let McGee, Hilton and Seraphin fight it out for minutes at the 5 and see who surfaces as king in the paint. If no one does, then we will stink anyway and then we'll hope to get situated to pick up the best big man in next June's draft. Dampier or Murphy would be mere stop gaps if they came here. we need to think of the future. could we win 37 games next year? maybe. but it wouldn't get us closer to the ultimate prize. it would stunt the growth of McGee.

This to me is the year to finally figure out if McGee/Blatche is the answer at the 4 and 5. Let's ride with them until they prove they can;t pull it off. Also I see Booker as the key first big energy guy off the bench like Maxiel, Bass, Anderson, Landry or Big Baby.
But Shaq to DC? no way.