LeBron James chooses Miami Heat

The most highly-anticipated and celebrated free agent decision in NBA history finally was resolved on Thursday, with LeBron James ending nearly two years of speculation by choosing to sign with the Miami Heat. Seated in a chair and flanked by dozens of children, James made his announcement in an interview with Jim Gray at a Boys and Girls Club in Greenwich, Conn., during an hour-long primetime special on ESPN.

James, a native of Akron and Northern Ohio's favorite son, had spent his entire career in Cleveland, leading the franchise to its only NBA Finals appearance in 2007 and winning two NBA MVP awards.

James met with six teams in the first three days of the free agent negotiating period -- New York, New Jersey, Chicago, Miami, the Los Angeles Clippers and Cleveland. Leading up to the unprecedented telecast, rumors had been swirling about a possible union of the three biggest prizes on a heralded free agent class, with Chris Bosh joining former NBA Finals MVP Dwyane Wade on the Heat. He supported those beliefs by proclaiming that the Heat "is going to give me the best opportunity to win and to win now. I want to be able to win championships and I feel like I can compete now. I'm looking forward to it."

By Michael Lee  |  July 8, 2010; 9:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards complete deal for Hinrich, Seraphin (updated); Yi presser on Friday
Next: Dan Gilbert letter: Cavaliers owner unloads on LeBron James

Comments

Can someone lead an expedition to the Cavaliers message board so I can take out 3 years of laughter at our expense on them?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 8, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Poor Cleveland somebody always leaving there... lol oh second

Posted by: SOLVBACK | July 8, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU, I'm not so sure the Wizards are even now in a position to laugh at anyone else.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

YAY!

Good for him!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

ts...I gotta take what I can get...and I'm a hater.

I'm all about kicking people when they are down.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 8, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

ts...I gotta take what I can get...and I'm a hater.

I'm all about kicking people when they are down.

Posted by: SDMDTSU

LOL! Can't argue with that, go to town!

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Gonna need to expand the home locker room now to fit those three ego's...

Posted by: TimDz | July 8, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

poor Jamison! Thought he was gonna be part of a championship caliber team for the rest of his career...lol!!!

Posted by: rxs85 | July 8, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Mike Lee, your Tweet was CLASSIC...BronBron is a total frontrunner...

Posted by: MBUSA | July 8, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

It was reported today that Leonsis (Monumental Sports) is getting rid of a lot of workers from the Pollin regime....to include Matt Williams.

Does anyone know whether Unseld Jr. was spared the axe?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anacostia85 | July 8, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

just glad all 3 are in one place, if he'd gone to the Bulls we'd have them and Miami pounding us for 5yrs.

Posted by: divi3 | July 8, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

LeBron chooses to pay no state income tax in Florida. Good for him.

Posted by: screwjob17 | July 8, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Well. OK. The Southeast Division is going to be a monster now. But it will be interesting to watch how the new Wiz team develops. It would seem that we'll go with the young team model, building for a championship team five or six years down the line. It will be easy to root for our developing team.

Posted by: 7snider7 | July 8, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

For one night and one night only, I feel sorry for the Cleveland Cavaliers. You heard that here and only here.

I am pleased though that in the end, it turns out our very own Ernie Grunfeld left them with the mess of Jamison's $28 million contract. No way he's going to want to play in Cleveland now, and no team is going to pick him for 14 mil a year.

Posted by: NWDC3 | July 8, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

ts...I gotta take what I can get...and I'm a hater.

I'm all about kicking people when they are down.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 8, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know whether Unseld Jr. was spared the axe?
Posted by: DC_MAN88

Gonna say yes, he was. Would you wanna tell his Dad?

Plus, he's a coach, not a member of the marketing and business staff.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Diva James is so egotistical he probably thought the Cavs fans would simply switch their allegiance to the Heat.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 8, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's go CELTICS!!!!

Posted by: hiberniantears | July 8, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Watching television is like smoking cigs: Go cold turkey.

You'll be miserable for about a week, but after that, you'll be saving money and you'll feel better about yourself.

LeBron James: Bread and circuses while the government rapes you.

Posted by: grunk | July 8, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Mike Lee,

Can AJ4 somehow work a buyout and come back to DC?

Posted by: MBUSA | July 8, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Mike Lee,

Can AJ4 somehow work a buyout and come back to DC?

Posted by: MBUSA | July 8, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Mike Lee,

Can AJ4 somehow work a buyout and come back to DC?

Posted by: MBUSA | July 8, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Bumping from previous thread...

Via RealGM:

Mel Turpin, former Kentucky center and 6th overall pick of the 1984 NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets, was found dead in Lexington on Thursday of an apparent suicide.
RealGM Note: Turpin was initially traded by the Bullets to the Cavaliers, though he eventually ended his career in Washington after a stint with the Jazz.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67993/20100708/turpin_found_dead_of_apparent_suicide/#ixzz0t8w8lbqz

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eyestreet | July 8, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

LeBron James announces that he will buy the Miami Heat, endorse the New York Knicks, marry two of the LA Clippers’ Spirit Dancers in a Utah ceremony in August, become Executive Vice President of Mining and Distribution for Polyus Gold (NJ Nets’ owner Mikhail Prokhorov’s gold empire) and play basketball part-time for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Read the FUNNY article here:

Posted by: eye95 | July 8, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

When Lebron said "I'm taking my talents to South Beach"...not Miami....South Beach. it's Location Location Location BABY. God Bless America. At the end of the day, he gets to live large in Hot Body City and play with two other All-Stars. So long as they Beat LA!!!...it's all good.

Now, can the Wizards please get Lous Scola from Houston!! Right now we are looking like a 25 game team, if that. We need more Scoring, Defense, Rebounds, and Pure Ballers and Scola brings all that.

Wizards by Position:

Point Guards: John Wall – Kirk Hinrich

Two Guards: Arenas – Shaun Livingston – Nick Young

Small Forwards: Al Thornton -- Trevor Booker

Power Forwards: Andre Blatche – Yi -- Kevin Seraphin

Centers: McGee -- Hamady Ndiaye

We could use: Luis Scola (David Lee, Brendon Haywood, Elton Brand are all Gone baby gone).

Sign-and-Trade: Mike Miller, Randy Foye, Josh Howard

Posted by: Airborne82 | July 8, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the entire world jump on Dan Snyder for trying to buy championships? This is no different. It won't work here, either. You earn a ring; you can't buy one... The whole affair reminds me of a playground bully grabbing the best players so he could crush whoever was left out. Bad, bad karma. Especially from the jilted fans of Cleveland, Ohio.

Posted by: eyestreet | July 8, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse "

How many rings does Riley have?

How many does Snyder have?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reston75 | July 8, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

LeQuit James!!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | July 8, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

He be jivin' wit dat gray dude Buffet and NOT de brothers and susters

Posted by: howslobo | July 8, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

BTW, pay attention. Blurred weakly argued that it wouldn't have made sense for Les BouleZ to tie up $7mil for BTH, while they're busy wasting money tying up tens of millions of dollars on Gilby.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Not at all what i said...I said 9 mil a year for 6 years (or 55 million v. the 7 you claimed I said) on a guy who is going to be 37 when his contract expires and was only able to keep keep a starting job once in an 8 yr career.

Gilberts contract is a done deal and has been for years. In business you don't worry about the bad money spent, you figure out how to avoid doing it again.

And this business has a new owner who didn't sign Gilberts contract in the first place and thankfully didn't compound the mistake by signing brenda.

Posted by: Blurred | July 8, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Miami - the new team to hate!

Posted by: boblas | July 8, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Glad LeTravel is leaving Cleveland. So sick of those frontrunners. Now I wonder if they'll take the blinders off and see him for the traveller and crybaby that he is.

In any case, gonna be a lot of "Witness" memorabilia up for sale. For cheap too!

Posted by: tundey | July 8, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eyestreet | July 8, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse "

How many rings does Riley have?

How many does Snyder have?

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Add to that, how many rings do the Yankees have?

Plus, the problem is that Snyder buys the *wrong* players.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand LBJ but its sweet and ironic to see the city of Cleveland at its lowest point for believing in LBJ - he's the one who has wanted all these trades and free agents moves over the past few seasons - he wanted Shaq, AJ, Mo Williams and countless others over the years (L Hughes, Big Ben, D West) who he thought would put Cleveland over the top but they all couldnt help him win a title and now Cleveland is stuck with some of these players that LBJ wanted and he took off for greener pastures - couldnt happen to a better city - for all you Cavs fans who ragged Wiz fans over the years - the Wiz are in better shape than the Cavs and what decent free agents want to come there now - sweeeeet revenge!

Posted by: blt8828 | July 8, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I feel for the Cav fans, but I refuse to feel for the Cavs as an organization.

Look the Cavs had how many freakin years to build a team around Lebron? And they didn't manage to do so. Oh I know the might be small market etc. But look at San Antonio, for a comparision and how San Antonio scouted and came up with players like Parker and Ginobli.

Loyalty is a two way street and even with Bosh and Wade, the fact is that Lebron has to trust that the organization is capable and good enough to find players even to fight around those three. I'd trust Pat Riley more too. (I highly doubt this is about money, the Heat as an organization I hear is respected)

Of course location is huge too.

Posted by: bekalc | July 8, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Labron, you be a nut....New York would seal your hall of fame AND give you tons of American support for years to come....you will still go to the Hall, but I'm yawning in Miami...it ain't the Big Apple and you'll regret this decision. Enjoy the tar balls.

Posted by: powerange | July 8, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Checked out the link anacostia85 provided above. Cleveland fans are out for blood. LMAO!!!! The names they've come up with are hilarious!! LeBronedict, LeLoser, LePunk, etc. Is it just wrong to laugh at another's pain??

Posted by: harrybalz | July 8, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Thank God he went to Miami. I was so sick of hearing about this for weeks. That's all there was on the news. Now that he is gone, I don't have to hear his stupid name any more. You sports people really need to get a life.

Posted by: VotersOfNY | July 8, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Sign-and-Trade: Mike Miller, Randy Foye, Josh Howard

Posted by: Airborne82 | July 8, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Dude...seriously?

IF we could sign those guys, it would be only two of them...and who in their right mind would trade for any of them? Meaning it would be a sign and weep deal on our part.

And Dallas just sealed their fate as a second round loser for the next 3 years by signing a 30 yo candy butt center to a 6 year deal and Dirk on the decline for 4.

No one has to worry about Dallas ever again unless they pull a San Antonio and Dirk gets injured, they win 12 games and are able to draft the 2nd coming of Tim Duncan with their lotto pick.

And Brand has made every team he played with into a winner, hasn't he?

David Lee is still young, so, yeah, you have that going for you.

Posted by: Blurred | July 8, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I am happy that Antawn Jamison was able to sabotage the Cavs and Lebron for us and insure that city will be miserable for years to come as they should be. Never liked Lebron's Cavs after they schooled Gil and us multiple times in the playoffs.

However, I was hoping he would head to NY to make the playing field a little more even. I would have liked Lebron n Amare vs Wade n Bosh vs Howard n Lewis vs Garnett n Pierce in the East. Now it looks like you can already pencil in Lakers Heat next Finals. Unless Pau and especially artest step there game up, I think t might be tough for the Lakers to win that honestly. even though the Heat have nobody else but those 3, Its still pretty ridiculous they have 3 of the top 10 players and probably 2 of the top 5.

This is bad for the future of the Wizards for the next 5 or 6 years of this Heat Dynasty. My only hope is that sometime soon:
Blatche=Bosh
Wall=Wade
Gil or Carmelo= Lebron

That Wiz team might be able to upset them one year down the road (probably only if we get Melo of course, who's probably going to NY. Maybe we can land Durant though, who knows.) Otherwise we are done for half a decade.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 8, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Riley and the Heat get Wade, Bosh and James while the Wizards have finally completed their trade with Chicago for Kirk Hinrich and the rights to 17th overall pick Kevin Seraphin?

Ted please fire Ernie and turn this organization around.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I now look forward to pounding the Cavs on a regular basis now that their one-man-team has split for South Beach. Welcome to the lottery Cavs fans.

Posted by: akmed0 | July 8, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

And the winner is? .... Cleveland.
Miami will never win a title with those guys, but they will win enough suckers to buy their garbage.

Posted by: hock1 | July 8, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I am hoping LeBron crab dribbles into Wade and trips, wrecking his knee, causing Wade to fall under Bosh's huge foot and break 4 ribs (I like Wade, so he gets out of this pretty easy) and Bosh twists his ankle, which he never lets heal properly causing him to only play 15 minutes a game.

A guy can dream can't he?

Posted by: Blurred | July 8, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know whether Unseld Jr. was spared the axe?
Posted by: DC_MAN88

Gonna say yes, he was. Would you wanna tell his Dad?

Plus, he's a coach, not a member of the marketing and business staff.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

A coach?

Name one big man who has improved under Wes Jr?

Please don't say AB since he plays the PF spot like a 2 guard.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

support him.he is the best.

for his new jersey of Heat,

log on web: www.jerseys-factory.com

4 days later

Posted by: jerseysfactory10 | July 8, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

His stats will go down.

Posted by: forgetthis | July 8, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Not a good night to be in Ohio as a Marylander. See, we're still at fault for having an NFL championship team in Baltimore!! I heard someone just say, "Git a rope!"

Posted by: therev1 | July 8, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

"Does anyone know whether Unseld Jr. was spared the axe?
Posted by: DC_MAN88

Gonna say yes, he was. Would you wanna tell his Dad?

Plus, he's a coach, not a member of the marketing and business staff.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse"

Flip Flop didn't know Wes Jr. from Gee Wiz when he arrived in DC.

Suddenly, Wes Jr. ends up on the coaching staff? Just like how he was on EJ's staff and ETap?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@johnhollinger Worst consolation prize in NBA history. RT @JerryZgoda Clippers agreeing to contracts with ex-Wolves Randy Foye and Ryan Gomes today

Posted by: anacostia85 | July 8, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

A coach?

Name one big man who has improved under Wes Jr?

Please don't say AB since he plays the PF spot like a 2 guard.

Posted by: bulletsfan78

Considering he's more the advance scout than the big man coach, I'm going to say um, zero?

Plus, I never said he was a good coach, just not part of the group of people who were being laid off.

I'm not positive, but I think Gene Banks is the big man coach.

Dude, you really have to make sure you always focus on the negative, don't you?

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@chadfordinsider David Lee agrees to 6 year, $80M deal with Warriors. Knicks will get Anthony Randolph as part of sign-and-trade

Posted by: anacostia85 | July 8, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you really have to make sure you always focus on the negative, don't you?

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

What else is there?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

What's Miami's cap situation like?

Are they going to be able to keep Beasley too?

Mario Chalmers, DWade, LeBron, Bosh, etc....sounds formidable.

They probably can't sign Eminem until they ship Beasley out.

I'm neutral about the Cavs fans, but LMAO about the Knicks fans.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 8, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Michael Wilbons post-LeBron interview was poor, maudlin...the showing of the burning jersey was SOOOO ESPN...just a bundle of HYPE and Soap Opera.

Posted by: ljk76 | July 8, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Flip Flop didn't know Wes Jr. from Gee Wiz when he arrived in DC.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Ummm, yeah. Apparently you don't know how coaches get their jobs. It's partly what you know, it's mostly who you know. Or did you think that Kyle Shanahan coming to be the Skins OC was just a freak coincidence?

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Poor Jamison. That said, I bet Mike miller and Livigton will end up playing for the Heat.

Wouldn't it be funny if we ship Arenas to Cleveland.

Posted by: demonj21 | July 8, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

What are they gonna do with that Witness poster?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 8, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely the WORST PR decision in the history of sports, he is now marked with the exact thing he worked his entire career to avoid. Next up Wade gets hurt like every year, Bosh cries and there is no one else on this team worth a damn. Wizards/Bullets man all the way could care less about Cleveland but this wasn't right in any stretch. 100mil makes everything taste good for awhile, lets hope he gets his just deserts. John Wall is the man and Ernie will bring it to us, how sweet when the Wizards beat Miami and their 300 million dollars worht of pretty boys,can't wait.

Posted by: mfowler1 | July 8, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I just checked and LeBron did not pay my electric bill.

Posted by: grunk | July 8, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Poor Jamison.

Posted by: demonj21 | July 8, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I think he got what he deserved.

AJ try playing a little "D" omce in a while and maybe you can help a team win some day.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

hahah.. a cleveland loss is just as good as a washington win.

Posted by: tmi1 | July 8, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

What else is there?

Posted by: bulletsfan78

I don't know, new owner, shiny new #1 pick, couple of rookies to check out, no more "Big 3", for you maybe some Zoloft....?

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

You only live once. He has no obligation to show undying loyalty to Cleveland. I say: Go for it! (any chance CP3 aka Chris Paul will join them? they need a point guard)

Posted by: Wilcox_Ann | July 8, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wilcox_Ann

They have a 'SG' who averages 7 assists and a 'SF' who averages 7 assists. Pretty sure they don't 'need' a PG like CP3. One who defends and can shoot would do nicely though.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, new owner,

The problem I have with Ted is he left the guy in chage who put together a losing team

shiny new #1 pick,

I wrote positive things about Wall...

couple of rookies to check out,

Please...

no more "Big 3"

and who did Ernie get for the all stars?

for you maybe some Zoloft....?

Why they have Medical Marijuana here in San Diego

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Dude, people posting at the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper website are having a sh*t fit over LeTravel screwing them. HAHAHAHA. All they keep saying is how he threw his last game, how he's a sellout, wanting to throw things at him when he comes to town, and how they now see him for the egomaniacal, sorry excuse for a full back, cough cough, i mean small forward. I'm bummed he'll be in our division, but at least that awful town can watch reruns of drew carey and not prophet bronhammad. We all as wiz fans felt the pain caused by his BS, now cleveland can taste some and so can every other team that sees him for what he truly is...fill in the blank.

GO BULLETS!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | July 8, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

A Delaware soldier died from injuries suffered in the Afghanistan war on the day Americans celebrated the freedoms the Laurel native joined the military to defend.

This man did more for me than LeBron ever has or ever will.

Posted by: grunk | July 8, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

i used to work for washington sports, and can confirm that there are a lot of layoffs taking place. essentially anyone from the old regime will most likely be gone by the beginning of the season.

in terms of basketball ops, not sure about wes, jr.

in a lot of ways it's sad, mainly because the people let go were actually good people.

Posted by: wizinsider | July 8, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

You have it right, Ann. Why should LBJ be subject to a rule saying he should play in his hometown, when no one else is?

So there's another "Big Three." As the Celtics have proved, and the Wiz have proved by negative example, if you're going to base a team on a "big three," make it a LEGIT big three.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | July 8, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cleveland DO YOU WANT TO TRADE FOR GILBERT??? LOL!!! SCREW CLEVELAND!

Posted by: frediemac1 | July 8, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

The problem I have with Ted is he left the guy in charge who put together a losing team

He did also put together a winning team, actually a couple. Not sure I want EG running the rebuild effort going forward, but I'm not going to pick and choose facts.

I wrote positive things about Wall...

You're the one who just said there was nothing but negative.

Please...

Please what? We don't have rookies? Or have you already determined (given your vast scouting experience) that they are busts?

and who did Ernie get for the all stars?

What he could I suppose. But I don't really care. Because we all knew the "Big 3" was flawed and went as far as they were going to go, so it was time to start over. EG waited too long, and we can debate the reasons, but we'll never really know. What we do know is that they finally did it, and can start moving forward, with a new owner who has a different perspective.

Why they have Medical Marijuana here in San Diego

Apparently you need to try a different strain. Or maybe check to make sure that your 'doctor' isn't selling you parsley.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 8, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

------------

Lisa...did you catch the part where he singles out his "real fans."?

He doesn't care about cavs fans. he cares about lebron fans

"I feel awful that I'm leaving, I feel even worse that I wasn't able to bring an NBA championship to that city," James said. "To my real fans out there, I hope you continue to support me."

Posted by: crs-1 | July 8, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!!! People die everyday, that just the way life is.. get over it! What's more, people who join the military know the risk they're facing. They weren't forced to join. As for the news with LeBron, YOU had a choice to flip the channel or not read this post but nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo... you choose to B$%th and whine.

Posted by: demonj21 | July 8, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Sign and trade Mike Miller for Beasley!! We have nothing to lose at this point. If we don't get something back for the Steph Curry pick we traded for Miller/Foye then I'm gonna kick Ernie's ass myself!!

Posted by: Akiraw | July 8, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I hate Cavs fans but I feel bad for business owners in that town. They really needed LeBron revenue right now.

Posted by: McBride33 | July 8, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...and umm...who the hell is talking about military casualties in a sports article comments section?? Take that up with Uncle Sam numbnuts! When you sign away your soul to the military I think that's in the fine print "yo azz might die"

Posted by: Akiraw | July 8, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Two quick points. Lebron did not dish his hometown, he's from Akron, not Cleveland. I don't tell people I'm from Chicago because I grew up fifty miles away from there, like Lebron, I'm from a small town. Also, he should just be honest about why he left since they are burning his jersey in Cleveland. Hey Cleveland, he left because none of the other star players in the NBA wanted to live in Cleveland. Lebron won't say that because he loves Cleveland too much even though they are disrespecting him there now.

Posted by: YesDear | July 8, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Surprised to see/hear Lebron be such a follower, he basically admitted to waiting on Bosh to sign with Miami and then deciding following him there would be the easiest way to win rings. Wonder if losses to Magic and Cs had him a little worried about being able to get it done against a Wade-Bosh team had he gone elsewhere

Posted by: divi3 | July 8, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

ts35

So the only thing positive is wall?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 8, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

So the only thing positive is wall?

Posted by: bulletsfan78

For you, it's apparently that and an unlimited supply of parsley.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

crs-1, I heard the "real fans" comment - and the comments about how much he gave to Cleveland.

Now Cavs fans will have to face what Wiz fans have been telling them for years....Lebron is an ego maniac who cares only about himself (and his mother).

While it might have been understandable for him to want to go to a team with Wade and Bosh, he did not not have to make "The Decision" on television with so much hype built up by ESPN. Simply make an announcement with class - not on television.

Speaking of which, if Wade, Bosh, and James are the new "Three Amigos" why not make the announcement together - as a team? No...Diva Lebron wanted the spotlight all to himself.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 8, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Lebron did not dish his hometown, he's from Akron, not Cleveland.

-------

A distinction made by lebron and his sycophants so he can sleep at night.

Carmelo is a hometown product even though he came from Baltimore. Virginians root for the Redskins, West Virginia roots for the steelers...

People from Akron are Cavs fans. The Cavs are their team as much as it belongs to Cleveland or Cincinnati. The only reason to make a distinction between being from Akron and being a part of Ohio's basketball team is because you're trying to make excuses.

Regardless. see above. Lebron doesn't care about cavs fans. he cares about lebron fans.

Posted by: crs-1 | July 8, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

LaBron just went from one of the best liked NBA players to one of the most hated in 2 months..Talented teams win championships, not talented players. Here's to Miami choking to in the first and second rounds over the next 2 playoff seasons. ^5

Posted by: Ratzoe | July 8, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

File this under: "Who Cares?". The result and impact of this will be lost in the dustbin of history, and will have little impact on most folks.

Posted by: tjconnor | July 8, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjconnor | July 8, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

LeFrontrunner. LeQuitter. LeLapdog.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 8, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

LeBron is going to be harshly and unfairly treated for a while before everyone calms down. Mostly by those that didn't get him, and haters in general that always make noise about something.

He chose winning over selling out. Not too common to see that these days, give the guy that much at least.

If he thinks this will work out better for him than other opportunities he had before him, so be it, literally, SoBe IT!

Posted by: jfern03 | July 8, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Lisa--

I hear you. It'll be sad watching Lebron feeding into the Jordan role with Wade as pippen. Because the truth is, Wade is a champion and Lebron doesn't have the killer instinct it takes to be a champion.

Case in point. Wade playing his heart out and never giving up for a forty win time scraping to get into the playoffs.

Lebron giving up in game six against the celtics.

I wish lebron went to the bulls. he would have been a great piece with some great complementary players. I would have loved to cheer for wade now that he finally has bosh and ideally some quality players around him. but it's now all about lebron. all the work that wade did and troubles he put up with will be lost in the fanfare over the golden boy. and everyone will forget that wade is the champion, not lebron.

further, i think the bulls would have been a stronger team with lebron than the heat with lebron. if lebron really cared about championships, dynastys, and legacy, he would have chosen the bulls.

but he cares about fame, adulation, and the lebron brand. (was he really talking about himself in the third person again? when is he going to grow up past that?)

This gets him the fix, as all eyes will be on the so called supreme team. but here's hoping they get killed by the celtics, magic, okc, and lakers.

Posted by: crs-1 | July 8, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjconnor

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

lebron would be a great soccer player, all that pretending to be fouled and whining to the refs are right up his alley

Posted by: divi3 | July 8, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anacostia85 | July 8, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Gee....now Diva James is going to talk about it again on Good Morning America.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 8, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. He states his main reason was "to win". Sounds like it's not for the team, but for him. It'll be fun to watch Miami stumble over the next few years with this false formula. He'll make lotsa moola, fans will pay lotsa moola, owners will make lotsa moola, and, no title in the end.

Posted by: tjconnor | July 8, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

--------

he chose the quick road to fame. it's not about money for him, it's about attention. so he sold out for attention. he didn't choose winning at all.

case in point. if you looked at the bulls squad, and the heat squad, which one has more x factors? a solid bulls squad who is scrappy and rugged and has talent but is missing someone to put them over the top?

or the heat, which have seven available roster spots open?

at worst, the bulls with lebron had as much chance of dominating in the league as this heat team has. but they would have never had the fame that comes with "the supreme team"

he's a sellout all right

Posted by: crs-1 | July 8, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

LMAO

Posted by: anacostia85

Um, wow. If that's really from Dan Gilbert....wow.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

In the big picture, is it really relevant where James went? This is one individual's life, not the lives of the other 320M in this country.

Posted by: mortified469 | July 8, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Horrible decision. It's like a kid wanting to play for the team with the best players. True winners are those that find ways to win. What's the self-fillment in knowing you had to get help. Yes, it's a team sport but winners make people around them better. He had to go be around super stars. It's horrible for his "brand" called "we are all witnesses". He could've been the greatest ever by himself.

Posted by: harbirsingh | July 8, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

--------

or the heat, which have seven available roster spots open?

he's a sellout all right

Posted by: crs-1 | July 8, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mortified469 | July 8, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

-------

No, but this isn't the big picture. This is a basketball message board.

Posted by: crs-1 | July 8, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

What criteria does the Department of Justice use to determine whether or not to investigate an entity for money laundering?

Posted by: EliPeyton | July 8, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

LeBron James is a grown man and he can decide to play anywhere he wants to, haters.

Posted by: pAULA_cOPELAND | July 8, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

"Watch a real sport, with real athletes this saturday and sunday; Called the World Cup. Spoileds need not apply.

Posted by: tjconnor

BWAHAHAHA! I'm ok with watching soccer, and I've been watching the World Cup, but is there a whinier, poutier, floppinger (it's a word) bunch of athletes on the planet?"

---------------

OK, point taken. But watch regular season play; less dramatics. This is an every 4 year event. And no, "floppinger" is not a word, but it is a good one!

Posted by: tjconnor | July 8, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm certainly no fan of Lebron's and look forward to rooting against him mightily next season, but I think a lot of the criticism he's getting is unwarranted. No one held it against Larry Bird or Magic Johnson tha they won championships playing with multiple HoFers. I haven't seen any petitions to put an asterisk next to Jordan's name for the titles he won after the Bulls went out and got Dennis Rodman. People slurped and drooled all over Ganett, Allen, and Pierce for doing the same thing Wade, James, and Bosh are doing. I don't see the problem.

That being said, I have serious doubts that it'll work, and if it does it won't be next season. (And, by all forecasts, the season after that is going to be cut short or obliterated entirely by a lockout). If these guys go two years without sniffing a title, they'll be buried under a s*itstorm of criticism and second-guessing.

I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 8, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

crs-1, IMO he chose the Heat not for the fame but because it appears to be the more sure thing and he's looking for the easiest road to winning. The Bulls team with Boozer looks potentially like the better fit, but Rose is still very young and Boozer is less than effective at times. Not cut and dry that Chicago with Lebron could overcome the Magic, Dwade-Bosh tandem, Cs next year, Hawks maybe etc etc. But it would have made for some amazing postseason series.

Instead he went for the safe bet, even though his star will actually be dimmer given it's DWade's team and it's Wade who engineered all this and already a won a ring without him

Posted by: divi3 | July 8, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

"He chose winning over selling out"

--------

Nope, he chose winning AND selling out! A popular American sport pass time!

Posted by: tjconnor | July 8, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Michael Lee is the best sportswriter at WaPo, by far.

Posted by: screwjob17 | July 8, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjconnor

---------------

==================

And thanks for not calling me a "liberal" or a "conservative"........

Posted by: tjconnor | July 8, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Haden2010 July 08, 2010 at 11:44PM

Officially banned from Cleveland:
1- Art
2- Lebron

This is pretty much the sentiment that I saw on the Cleveland Plain Dealer comment board. Although I saw a couple of comments that wished that Lebron die in a car accident or that he 'catch' cancer.

ROTFLMBAO!

One poster did make a good point that lebaby didn't even thank the fans of Cleveland or Northeast Ohio for supporting him for 7 years.

But what did the people of Cleveland expect? This is the same guy who rushed from the court and refused to shake hands with the Magic after tghe avs got their ARSES kicked in the palyoffs.

lebaby jane is a

LOSER!!!!!

I HOPE HE NEVER WINS A TITLE!!!!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | July 8, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

on a side note...dan gilbert is my #1 fan tonight. check out his open letter to cavs fans.

Posted by: wizinsider | July 8, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I think a lot of the criticism he's getting is unwarranted.
Posted by: kalo_rama

For me, and others I'd wager, the criticism is rooted not so much in his choice to go to the Heat (or the Bulls, Nets, or Knicks if it had gone that way), it's more the craven attention-mongering along the way. Like the initial plan to have a separate shoe designed for each FA pitch. A ridiculous one-hour special (in fairness, I didn't watch it, I'm assuming it was ridiculous). He's trying to be a member of a new trio and the first thing he does is step on their moment (when Bosh and Wade announced they'd be signing with Miami) by announcing his special shortly after.

Others have done the same thing he did. Though they were past their primes, Malone and Payton going to LA, the Boston Three Party, Pippen and Barkley to Houston to join up with Olajuwon. I don't begrudge anyone trying to maximize their chances of winning a title (ok, anyone except the Yankees) but it just seems to me the others did it with some semblance of class. And when someone can say that Barkley did anything with more class, that should be a sign.

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

I can see that. But i still think that fame is his prime focus. The only reason he wants to win is because fame comes with it.

i still think he's blinded by the lights, as is the general media. it appears to be the easiest road, but there's no easy roads in basketball. you've got to build a solid, complete team to win a championship. that takes gritty players who are under the radar and don't get recognition, and it looks like they won't be able to afford those...just other players who are blinded by the lights and think that if they sign on for less money they'll be able to buy themselves a championship.

Posted by: crs-1 | July 8, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

"For me, and others I'd wager, the criticism is rooted not so much in his choice to go to the Heat (or the Bulls, Nets, or Knicks if it had gone that way), it's more the craven attention-mongering along the way."

Well, that's not the criticism I'm talking about. Hell, I've specifically criticized him for the egotism of the whole thing myself in previous threads. I was speaking specifically about the whole "buying a championship" stuff.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 9, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

"For one night and one night only, I feel sorry for the Cleveland Cavaliers."

I don't, but I think for sports this stinks. Expect to see a hard cap in the NBA real soon after this.

Don't be surprised to see Pat Riley come back out of retirement either. :P

As for Cleveland, that's why you never let the inmates run the asylum. He CLEARLY wanted out of there and then basically called them a bunch of losers in the process.

It also 100% proves that he gave up in the playoffs this past season. He didn't think they could win so he stopped playing.

"Horrible decision. It's like a kid wanting to play for the team with the best players."

Exactly my point above.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | July 9, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 8, 2010 11:58 PM

the key thing there is as you said "Though they were past their primes"

Just seems to be that at age 25 guys like Malone, Barkley, Payton, etc were about stompin everybody's else azz on the court and just sticking it to their peers/rivals. Just cannot envision MJ at 25 calling Malone and saying "Hey Karl, where ya headed? Maybe we can get together somewhere??"

They all wanted to be The Man and everybody knows- to be The Man you gotta beat The Man. This just seems like a totally different mentality

Posted by: divi3 | July 9, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizinsider

Honestly, I'm having a little trouble believing that that actually came from Dan Gilbert. I'm curious to see if it's still up in the morning. Owners don't usually come out like that, firing from the hip, especially calling LeBron a coward. There's too much chance that it hurts your rep with other players. Unless of course, they agree with you.

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Yeah, I know. I just think it all stems from the same place for a lot of people. The disingenuousness and steaming pile of hypocrisy.

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Magic had a great piece from years ago where he talked about practicing FT shooting all summer, taking thousands and thousands of shots instead of vacationing. He said something to the effect "I just knew Larry's ugly face was out there somewhere doing the same thing and I just had to keep at it day after day."

that's the type of dynamic which raises the league to highest heights but has been lost as players ended up de facto running the league. I'm all for them getting lion's share of the profits...just pointing out a consequence

btw- magic went from a 75%FT all the way up to 91% one year

Posted by: divi3 | July 9, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine the howls if those three guys DON'T win the championship?

And that's just from Pat Riley.

They'll send Dexter after him.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 9, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey ts35

That letter is posted on The Cleveland Cavaliers website and it is from the owner
Dan Gilbert!

Man, he must be in a lot of pain to post his open wound so soon!

I can't wait to see the Heat @ Cavaliers game next season. They might have to build a Steel reinforced dugout around the visitors bench at "The Q". Cleveland fans are wishing him DEATH on the comment boards and blogs!

SERVES THE PUNK RIGHT!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | July 9, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

It's changed a bit, there isn't the same level of abject rivalry between teams that you used to see, like Lakers / Celtics or Celtics / Pistons or Bulls / Pistons, but even back in the day, teams did what they needed to do to win. Pretty safe to say that there were few players Jordan, and in particular Pippen hated more than Dennis Rodman (maybe Laimbeer or Isaiah), but they brought him in. Or, if Jordan could have found a way to get his boy Barkley on his team, he probably would have.

Things also definitely changed after the first Dream Team.

Plus, you have to factor in that though he's 25, James is going into his 8th year in the league. So it's not like he's a 'young' player. He's also coming from a team that has been essentially treading water / going backwards since their Finals appearance.

Also, the challenge still exists for LBJ to "Beat the Man" because, like it or not, The Man currently resides in LA. Sure as heck didn't look like any sort of help akin to Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum were on their way to Cleveland.

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey ts35

Dan Gilbert!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman

Yeah, I know. And it's on the internet, so it must be true right? Because the interwebs is hack-proof after all.

It's on NBA.com and they've built links to it, so I'm assuming it's legit, but man! I don't know if I've seen an owner come out like that. Well, except maybe Al Davis going after Lane Kiffin.

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:24 AM

Nope, but I do recall that it was James who wanted AJ over Amare for whatever reason. Didnt work, so he bailed leaving them stuck with AJ instead of Amare (who could have resigned or created CAP in leaving).

pretty delicious scenario if you're a Wiz fan, and just wait til AB dumps 40 on AJs head (you know that's coming) in front of 6500 people in cleveland en route to their 15 win season with AJ as their best player. Gotta love it!

Posted by: divi3 | July 9, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

it's def legit...it's on the front page of cavs.com

Posted by: wizinsider | July 9, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

ts35--

It's legit. the nba.com crew referenced it on the air.

Posted by: crs-1 | July 9, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

As long as you accept that it's just as likely that AJ drops 40 on Blatche. I love how people are also automatically assuming the Wiz are gonna walk all over Cleveland, who, btw I think are now more under the cap than the Wiz are.

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

it's def legit...it's on the front page of cavs.com

Posted by: wizinsider

Wowsers. Pretty crazy. I admire his gumption. But in the meantime I did think of one better example of an owner putting it all out there.....when a certain Capitals Owner Teddy "Rampage" Leonsis threw down with an unruly fan! The only thing that would have made it better is if Teddy had grabbed a trash can lid, a la James Caan in The Godfather.

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Posted by: ts35

Plus, I wouldn't have AJ guarding AB anyway. Short of any other big man signings by either team, you put Varejao on AB.

Posted by: ts35 | July 9, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Between the comic sans font and the random use of "ironic" quotation marks, that Gilbert letter gives of a fantastic "crazy-mad jilted lover drunk dialing and leaving a rambling rant on the ex's answering machine after being dumped" vibe.

Posted by: kalo_rama | July 9, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I would really like to read some Washington Wizards "insider" news on here once in a while.

I heard that we began a mini-camp yesterday evening.

How did Sweetney and Harrison look? We really need another big with some NBA experience while Booker, N'Diaye, and Seraphin are learning. Do either of this guys have enough left?

Did we have an "insider" at camp, to share his opinions with us?

Posted by: ajedwardsjr | July 9, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse