Ted Leonsis makes 'Monumental' changes

Yesterday, business writer Thomas Heath outlined some changes taking place at Ted Leonsis's Monumental Sports and Entertainment empire.

Among many announcments:

Greg Bibb will serve as executive vice president for basketball business operations for the combined Wizards/Mystics organization.
Sponsorship sales will be led by John Greeley.
One surprise is that longtime Pollin lieutenant Peter Biche is staying on as chief financial officer and will report directly to Leonsis.
Leonsis said Monumental's Mike Kelly will assess the Ticketmaster business and begin planning for the future.
On the media side, Capitals spokesman Kurt Kehl will become Monumental's vice president of corporate communications.

On his D.C. Sports Bog, Dan Steinberg reports that during an interview on 106.7 The Fan's Mike Wise Show, Leonsis promised "hundreds" of changes at home Wizards games, from new lighting to less noise to urinal cup-holders.

Leonsis also said the Wizards will have "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" with John Wall, Gilbert Arenas and Kirk Hinrich.

By Alexa Steele  |  July 20, 2010; 1:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall discusses summer league performance
Next: Reports: Wizards vice president Tommy Sheppard passed over for Hornets job

Comments

It's unfolding before your eyes. Do you comprehend what you are witnessing?

Posted by: melodious_thunk | July 20, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

When will the haters realize that Gil ain't going nowhere?

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

forget the backcourt...urinal cup holders, SWEET

Posted by: CelticFCbhoys | July 20, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Ted's a smart businessman.
Whether Arenas stays or leaves, it's smart for Leonsis to say nothing that minimizes his worth. If some team wants Arenas, they'll have to actually give up something of value. I still believe Arenas is yesterday's news and won't be on the team after this year's trading deadline since he needs the ball to be effective, can't play SG and won't get enough minutes at PG to matter. Only time will prove if I'm wrong.

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Then you will be proven wrong. Ted ain't stupid enough to except an expiring contract for Arenas. Other teams will not trade value for value for Arenas when you consider his knee problem. The best value Ted can get from Arenas is to put him at 2-guard in a Wizards uniform.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"Ted ain't stupid enough to except an expiring contract for Arenas."

That would actually be the opposite of stupid...unless you think Arenas will be worth a 3 year, $60 million contract in the summer of 2011.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Arenas will prove to be worth more than cap space, especially when there is not much out there free-agent-wise.

When Wes traded Webber for Richmond, the Bullets ended up with nothing. Trading Arenas for cap-space could end up being the same deal. New Jersey has tons of cap-space right now. In a year with quite a few first rate free agents, who has Jersey signed to date? Durant, Rudy Gay already signed extensions. Who else will be out there? Melo? Sure I'd take Melo, but will he take Ted's money?

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

new lighting to less noise to urinal cup-holders?

Wake me up when Ted makes the changes that will turn the Wizards into a winning organization...

like a big man coach,

a good player development person...ETaps is still here, are you kidding me?

the medical and training staff

and yes melodious_thunk

a new GM

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 20, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan

I wonder if Abe sold the team to Leonsis on condition that he keep Unseld Jr?

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Now all we need are new uniforms and a new name and Logo!!!!

Posted by: DsturbdCitizn | July 20, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan

I wonder if Abe sold the team to Leonsis on condition that he keep Unseld Jr?

Posted by: G-Man11

Well, since Abe was dead when the terms were negotiated, I'm going to say no.

Any chance (and I know this is totally out of the realm of thought for some of you) that the kid is actually good at his job? Anybody actually know? Or just dog-piling on him because his name is Unseld and he works for the Wiz.

Posted by: ts35 | July 20, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Agreed...Gilbert is our man, whther you like it or not. Getting rid of him for an expiring contract i svery risky. It is possible that he gets injured or any number of things to derail him again and this time for ever, but if he can play...HE CAN PLAY.

Wall = ROY
Arenas = Comeback Player of the Year
McGee = MIP

Wizards = 32-35 wins...maybe 37 and the eighth playoff space.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:32 PM

Only time will tell, G-Man11. Arenas has never been a full-time SG before, he's no longer running things on offense and is no longer dominating the ball. Wall is. Should be interesting.

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Urinal cup holders? Gross!!! If you are going this far they should have a shelf in the stall where you can rest your nachos. Seriously, who brings food & drink into a public bathroom? I guess that it solves for a spillage problem, but why encourage this behavior? You do not need a black light to know that there is nothing good from a microorganism perspective floating around in the air in the bathrooms at any venue. I need a shower just thinking about this.

Posted by: TheOneWhoHurtsMost | July 20, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

YES I AM DOG-PILING ON HIM BECAUSE HIS NAME IS UNSELD AND HE WORKS FOR THE WIZ. Abe was sure loyal to Unseld Sr and outside of lacing them up, Sr didn't do a good job. Why was Jr hired in the first place except for as a favor to Sr. If it walks like a duck, it's a duck.

Now, ts35, do you think that Unseld Jr does a great job? What does he do? I wish I knew.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:16 PM

I never said anything about an expiring contract. You did.

Q: If Arenas sucks at SG, then what? Just curious.

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

G-Man11, your devotion to Arenas is admirable. Can't say I agree with you though. I'll take 3 players at $6-7 million per season over Arenas at $20 million per season at this point. Ridding Arenas' contract doesn't mean we need to replace him with a superstar. We already have our face of the franchise in John Wall. And if Blatche actually does live up to his promise, he's going to be in line for a payday as well. If Arenas is playing well and the Wizards are seriously surprising teams with a successful season, then I'd agree that we could keep him on at his current price; otherwise, trading him for an expiring deal would be golden for this franchise.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Agreed...Gilbert is our man, whther you like it or not.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 2:45 PM

He's our man right up until the point he gets traded, whether you like it or not.

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea what he does, but TS makes a good point, that you can't say he does a bad job just because his daddy got him the job.

Just because nepotism got someone a job doesn't mean they can't be good at it.

Just look at George W. Bush...oh wait...never mind

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 20, 2010 2:34 PM

OK, I'm curious. What does melodious_thunk have to do with changes that Leonsis needs to make to turn the Wizards into a winner?

Posted by: ArmChairQB | July 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Agreed...Gilbert is our man, whther you like it or not.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 2:45 PM

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't see him getting traded this season...or at least not until Feb/March. That was my point.

You seem convinced he will be traded. I think you are wrong.

We will see.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

bobabuie

Like you said in regards to Arenas, time will tell. I choose to gamble in time, that time will Arenas will prove to be an asset. You choose the side that says that he will be a liability.

This is to you but not directed to you, as I have not seen you here enough to know your mentality.

Love/Hate. I am the kind that wishes people well. I hope Gil has learned his lesson and resolves his inner-demons. I hope he proves to be near the player who was signed the huge contract. The majority of the Gil-haters wish him career-death and misery.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how good of a job Tapscott does as a scout? He's not an NBA caliber coach...he said as much.

He's not coaching. Complaining that he's in the organization pretty much makes no sense.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | July 20, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Just because nepotism got someone a job doesn't mean they can't be good at it.

Posted by: Blurred

Who says I can't say that? I just did. I said I was dog-piling on Unseld Jr. He may indeed be doing a great job at something. What it is, I don't know. Maybe Unseld Sr taught Unseld Jr the big man's game, and Abe hired Jr to be the Wizard's big man coach.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Without Gil, we wouldnt of gotten John Wall...think about it. His destruction, caron's ego, etc all led to today.

Damn right it was a good DAY!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | July 20, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Maybe his job is to hold down a chair through most of the game and jump up when the coach gets fired up. Maybe his job is to get weed for the players. Maybe his job issmile and keep the Unseld name around.

Whatever. Any literate person knows that the phrase "You can't say" means "You can't say it truthfully and have an honest, meaningful discussion." If you choose to continue to say things like that, we can just start referring to you as Mr. Bachmann.

Also, in case you didn't read the final line, the first two sentences were a set up for the punch line third.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11

Lol, at least you're upfront about the dog-piling.

It is interesting that every place you read about the coaches for the Wiz (it may be the same for other teams), they are vague about specific responsibilities. What I've read about Unseld Jr is that he has been a scout within the organization for several years and now (or at least the last time it was referenced) as an assistant coach, his primary responsibility was as an advance scout, i.e scouting their upcoming opponents.

I honestly have no idea if he's good at his job or just a legacy hire. The life of a scout in any sport is never a cake job. Usually it involves a ton of travel, often to places you wouldn't go if you didn't have to. I don't know if he was truly a scout, or if he was just on the payroll as one.

Certainly he *got* the job because of his dad, but I never like to assume someone is incompetent or just for show without knowing something about them.

Posted by: ts35 | July 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

What's Larry Nance up to?? Let's get him in here teaching Mcgee how to throw down on any and all players in the entire league. Enough with "dunk" as some kind of dirty word!

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I never said anything about an expiring contract. You did.

Q: If Arenas sucks at SG, then what? Just curious.

Posted by: bobabuie

Then if not for an expiring contract, then for what? I also said that teams aren't going to trade you back the same level of talent for Arenas. You can get 4 $5M bums if you want, but they are a dime a dozen and we already got enough of them on the roster. Why don't you give me a legitimate example.

As for Arenas playing shooting guard, Arenas is a scorer and shooter first and foremost. He is no different that Kobe(except size). Please don't make it seem like I said he is as good as Kobe. You don't see Kobe running around screens like Rip Hamilton. The point guard gives the ball to Kobe and he does his thing. Same will be for Arenas. The Wizards need a small forward who is primarily a shooter, rather than a slasher.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 20, 2010 3:19 PM

Because you're intelligent.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | July 20, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Outside of Wall, there is not a player on the roster with as much potential as Arenas. Stars are ganging up. In Miami you got 3 stars. They talking about it in New York with Paul and Melo scheming to join Amare. The Wiz could already have 2(Arenas, Wall) or more if Blatche/McGee continue to progress.

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Ha...I hadn't thought if him in at least a decade. Good call.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

From the Bog:

"Leonsis repeated that he wouldn't have traded the No. 5 pick last year, but that adding veterans fit in with the plan Ernie Grunfeld was tasked with, so he doesn't hold that against his front-office."

...Which confirms what I and other posters have suspected: that that trade and probably other moves were made in furtherance of a misguided "win now" plan that Pollin imposed on Grunfeld. It also explains why Uncle Ted retained EG despite the team's awful record the last couple of seasons.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | July 20, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

G-Man11

"Why don't you give me a legitimate example."

I don't play the "we should trade him for so-and-so" game. There's an infinite number of players Arenas can be traded for. I don't care which. If he doesn't figure in the Wizards plans, they should get rid of him for the best deal they can get.

"As for Arenas playing shooting guard, Arenas is a scorer and shooter first and foremost. He is no different that Kobe(except size)."

Arenas has a rebuilt knee that took away a lot of his explosion. I've never seen Arenas get stuffed at the rim as much as he did last year. Arenas' handle also looked suspect for much of last year. He used to have that ball on a string like a yo-yo and he didn't last year. I'm not so sure he just get "his" anymore without disrupting offensive flow. Gil is now an undersized SG who lacks (lacked?) explosion. Does not seem like a winning combination. We shall see.

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who thinks Pollin was scouting Miller and Foye last year is really reaching to shield EG from what turned out to be a horrible trade. Sure, Abe may have instructed EG to trade the pick so as to win "now." But EG determined that Miller and Foye were quality players worthy of the 5th pick. They weren't.

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 3:38 PM

But maybe the T'Wolves were the only team willing to take on the contracts Ernie dumped on them. That might have severely limited his choices for which players to take back in return for the 5th pick. We can't pretend it was just the 5th for Miller/Foye.

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the Nets signed Popeye Jones to their coaching squad. Wish it had been us.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I think arenas can be a good SG but playing off pass first PG's like fisher or kidd not PG's like wall or cp3.

thats why i think GA should be traded. We dont need anything in return but a couple of bad 1 year contracts. Get another good pick next draft and develope wall blatche seraphin and javegas. The cap space could then be used in time when the 'home grown stars' need an extension and maybe to add 1 or 2 more pieces through FA ifneeded.

Posted by: Pindajung | July 20, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 3:42 PM

Good point! I just disagree with the idea that Mr.Pollin was behind the scenes pulling all the strings rather than just charting the direction i.e "Yo Ern, trade that 5th pronto I aint got time for a rook"

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Amare will not be playing in the world championships...Javale McGee Come ON DOWN!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | July 20, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 3:38 PM

Posted by: bobabuie

Even trading a high pick requires someone willing to give you a decent offer for that pick.

And I maintain that while neither Foye nor Miller were awesome, they weren't the reason last year's team collapsed.

Putting all of that aside, rather than focusing (still) on last year, the important take-away from that note is that Leonsis is openly willing to admit he has some differences of opinion with EG. Which means things should be somewhat different under Leonsis' stewardship. Whether they are different *enough* remains to be seen.

Posted by: ts35 | July 20, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

ArmChairQB

Because melodious_thunk is Ernie's screen name on this blog.

No one other then Ernie himself could believe the stuff he writes.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 20, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | July 20, 2010 4:17 PM

If anything, I think Leonsis openly admitted a difference with Pollin. I do agree that things should be different under Leonsis.

Posted by: bobabuie | July 20, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

From the Bog:

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | July 20, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

rufus

What happens if they ever get close to winning again?

Ernie has proven that he can't even go out and get the final pieces to get out of the first round?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | July 20, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

urinal cup holders? Does that mean you no longer have to trek to the bath-room for real relief from the high comedy out on the floor?

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 20, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

G-man11:

A word to thevwise.......stay away from 'Melo.

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 20, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

G-man11:

A word to thevwise.......stay away from 'Melo.

Posted by: glawrence007

And also the urinal cup-holders.

Posted by: ts35 | July 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Let me see: We're building a young team with a focus on defense. How exactly does Gil fit into that picture? Sure he can stand in the corner and pop jumpers when Wall delivers the ball, and he can still drive to the basket and get scores without the lift of yesteryear. But the guy cannot play man-to-man defense. Even before the knee surgeries, he was a regular matador out there.

We'll keep Gil as long as necessary, and I hope he shows enough firepower to draw some bids from desperate teams. The Wizards are no longer desperate, especially with urinal cup holders.

Posted by: zinger1 | July 20, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I disagree.
That was a good trade at the time it was made. Most NBA analysts agree.

Today you can play wudda, shudda, cudda all you want.

If you wudda looked into your crystal ball before the trade you shudda spoke up then --- you cudda.

I know the crystal ball works much better on year old trades.

Posted by: VBFan | July 20, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

that's right, I always forget we're supposed to hold the GM to the same standard as random bloggers.

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, I disagree. GM's must be held to a higher standard. No uninal cup holder for you.!!!! RENIE must go to the traditional porcelain convenience.

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 20, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

WALL

to go:

Guard, SF, PF.

Posted by: glawrence007 | July 20, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 |

I just disagreed.
At the beginning of the year it was a good trade.
Today --- if they had taken Ricky R or Johnny Flynn.
We'd be wishing we did something else.

Trading the #5 last year was a good move.
It didn't work out just like Caron, Antwan & Gilbert didn't work out.

Just random thoughts.

Posted by: VBFan | July 20, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

....and West Unseld Jr. will be staying on as assistant coach for life...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | July 20, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"It's unfolding before your eyes. Do you comprehend what you are witnessing?"

I'm not sure I comprehend. I've read what Ted has to say about his philosophy of the role of a professional sports team in a city. I even bought his book. But tell me what is unfolding before my eyes.

Or, somebody sum up where the Wizards are as far as their roster is concerned.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | July 20, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

So it looks like the Wiz have 12 players under contract right now. Who on the summer league team deserves an invite to training camp? Cartier Martin? Lester Hudson?

Is Singleton officially gone?

I thought Seraphin was a 4/5. Doesn't the team need another center, a tough, rebounding center who can actually defend the paint? Nobody knows if Seraphin can be that guy.

N'Diaye is only 210. I guess N'Diaye is going to be going to the D League for awhile, or should. Maybe Booker goes to the D League for awhile too?

Posted by: PostSubscriber | July 20, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 3:56 PM

Seriously you want Popeye as your coach?

Your Serious???

What if he runs out of spinach?

Posted by: dcinmd1 | July 20, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Leonsis is all for slow rolling this....he wants to redefine the organization, learn his own way around as an owner, not ruffle any feathers. I am ok with that.

Could he have thrown some more cash or thrown it in a different direction to push the envelope more...yeah probably. He got the golden egg on draft day and he understands being a # 1 pick is its own burden, trying to have quickly comprised a team with a couple of veteran all stars and telling him to make it happen would have been a lot to ask. While Wall is poised, he is clearly still a child, this is not a Magic Johnson situation...he is not a man coming into the league.

I don't think the plan is to fill every spot with a preferred option this year. They are probably re-thinking a little after Vegas, but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

I would be very content to just watch Wall develop, with the current roster, for this year and just see best effort throughout. Another lottery pick and a couple of free agents moves next year and we can put it in gear.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | July 20, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there is much point in butting heads with hardheads, but let me back VBF that last year's trade for Miller and Foye WAS a good trade at the time. Miller was an undervalued 3 pt sharpshooter, which the team needed. Foye was a lottery draft pick with apparent upside, a history of increasing numbers, and a desparately needed combo guard in case Gilbert had health problems. It was a great "Future is Now" move to win for an aging, terminally ill, but still deeply interested owner. Ernie got his marching orders, and he carried it out. If I were Mr. Pollin, I would have directed the same. If I had been Ernie, I would have done the same. Most of you can Monday morning quarterback all you want, or pretend like you are GM geniuses by suggesting or pulling off imaginary trades. I commend Mr. Leonsis in realizing that Grunfeld is a professional that needs to stay for the time being. Keep him, give him current directions, and watch him work.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | July 20, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I just love urine aerosol in my beer, those cup holders are going to be great.

Posted by: DrWho2 | July 20, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I like the direction of the team, but have to agree, anyone who thinks urinal cup holders is an attractive idea has a little learnin' to do re: hygiene and marketing. Just the thought of that aerosol has me less interested in beer than yesterday. Why not re-release the study regarding fecal material on theater seating while you are at it????

Posted by: ragtop4spd | July 20, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one who occasionally drinks their beer while using the urinal? Y'all making me feel like a Neanderthal

Posted by: divi3 | July 20, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Neanderthals washed their hands.

Posted by: djnnnou | July 20, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

For you guys hating on the Urinal cup holders. Go try that "final shake" with a beer or drink in your hand. I guess it would really suck. Smart thinking Ted! LMAO!

Posted by: zack5 | July 20, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Why do people consistently miss the point about moving GA when we can??? It's not about the return. It's about moving forward, handing the keys to the new face of the franchise, and clearing cap space for what hopefully turns into JW's future running mates. In case you people have forgotten, GA has missed 3 seasons and had 3 knee surgeries. He is never going to be the player he once was. Even then, at his apex, he was not a title contending caliber player or leader. So, who cares if he goes??? Really??? He is not going to win a title with this team either. You are looking at 4/5 years minimum before this team is considered a contender, which is assuming a lot of right moves and luck going forward. GA ain't getting any younger.

By the way, I can't help but think of Joe Johnson and his new contract when discussing GA. Seems to me they are very similar players in that they are paid an awful lot for what seems to be less than championship stuff on many levels. Both were kind of "had to do it for the sake of the franchise" signings as well as opposed to shrewd return on investment contracts.

At least Miami should get plenty of bang for the buck!

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 21, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Wall = ROY
Arenas = Comeback Player of the Year
McGee = MIP

Wizards = 32-35 wins...maybe 37 and the eighth playoff space.

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

ans where do you envision AB in this picture?

Posted by: Goelez | July 21, 2010 5:27 AM | Report abuse

rphill,
I think you're missing the point on GA! As we all know, his contract makes him almost untradable which is really "a wait and see" situation. If he comes back and plays his butt off, would you still want to trade GA? Trade him for what? Cap space? Name me a playoff team that were in the finals that wasn't over the cap.

Joe Johnson in his contract year CAN'T COMPARE to GA in his contract year. And you can't even compare them today because GA hasnt played BUT, at least you know GA has won games and will show up in the playoffs!

If you remember, Wiz weren't the only team prepared to give GA a max deal. If the Wiz are ever gonna be a playoff team, that contends for a title at some point, you need at least 3 "star caliber" players. Who's to say that GA can't be one of the 3? Like I said "Wait and see!"

Posted by: zack5 | July 21, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

It will take a "wait and see" to be able to tell if Gil can regain any of the explosiveness that made him a gain changer three years ago.

Gil played a very servicable point guard last year before the suspension, but he lacked that finisher's edge that made him excell before the knee injuries.

Gil can excell playing off the ball, he's done it before. But the big question is can he regain the form that he had before his knee injuries. Others that have had microfracture at a fairly young age have. Amare S. & DWade are two big names that just got huge deals after recovering from microfracture. So it can be done.

Gil has a lot riding on this comeback after suspension, those that assert that he won't work hard, will sulk, and will have trouble playing on a team where JWall's the new team leader, haven't paid attention to the past.

No one has ever said Gil's not a hard worker, in fact he's probably worked too hard in his comeback and set himself back, Gil was never the team leader on the Wiz, that was Jamison's role. So Gil isn't giving up a role that he held.

Hughes and Daniels both often took on the playmakers role, and down the stretch when Gil was being relied on to score, Gil played off the ball more often then not.

It still remains to be seen if Gil can regain his edge, "the swag" as he called it, that made him an Allstar. But to say he can't just because the Wizards added John Wall, would be like saying LeBron will be a failure because he's now playing with DWade and Bosh.

Playing with good players makes a player better, not worse. JWall and Arenas will have to both adjust teir games some to play together. So will Hinrich. Good players can and will do that to get better.

Earl "The Pearl" sure had to change his game the play with Walt Frazier. But it made him a better player and the Knicks were amoung the best in basketball during their time together.

We'll just have to "wait and see" how JWall and Arenas do together...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | July 21, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | July 20, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

-----------
Oh no! Ernie messed up again! First, Mason and Blair, then Gee, and now Popeye Jones as a coach. He's such an idiot! He just lets the best players and coaches get away because he's so incompetent. What a fool! I hate everyone!

Posted by: Urnesto | July 21, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | July 20, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wall = Rookie of the Year

Arenas = Choke Artist (and NRA spokesperson )remember a few years ago in the playoffs against the cavs?the front end of a 1 and 1 against cleveland when LBJ told gill if he missed he would win the game... Guess what Gill Missed, choker / gun toter, 110million dollar flop artist and the current running joke of the NBA!

McGee = Average at best..

Wizards = 32-35 wins Put the pipe down...this is the Eastern Conference..

Posted by: rlomax67 | July 21, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't get too hung up on last year's draft. Griffin, Harden, and Evans wewre already gone. Curry, while a could player, is probably not the best to match with Wall. DeRozan and Jennings probably weren't even on our radar at that spot. Taking Rubio, while possibly a good player, I don't think is better than having Wall now.

In hindsight, based on what we would have taken if we kept the pick, and what happened with the guys we traded for, the only thing I could wish for is that we traded it for future picks, but at the time, and given what we were trying to do, it was a good trade, and I didn't complain.

As for Arenas and Wall, I think they can work together easily in the backcourt. One issue though will be lack of size at the 2 spot defensively. Even if Arenas isn't his pre-injury self, but outputs what he did last season before suspension, that still makes him one of the best shooting guards, offensively, in the league. He would've been 4th in the league among all guards in scoring. His shooting percentage was bad, but his 3pt was second best among the top 5 scoring guards. And third in getting to the line (behind only Kobe and Wade), so he wasn't that passive.

On the down side, he's the worst defender of the bunch.

Posted by: segastyle | July 21, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

rphill,

Posted by: zack

There is no such thing as an untradeable player in the NBA regardless of contract. It's been done many many times before. The Bullets/Wiz did it before with JH. Will we have to be patient to pull off such a trade??? Perhaps. But, that in no way means we won't or shouldn't pull the trigger as soon as that opportunity presents itself. It's JW's time and team now. GA's time has come and gone. If you think he will ever regain his former all-star caliber game again, you are sadly mistaken. Can he be a solid contributor?? Sure. But, what's the point in that when GA has never been a productive player off the ball, has never played an ounce of defense, and has never been a particularly good example on how to conduct yourself as a teammate.

And, who cares if other teams were willing to pay him a max contract? That doesn't make the contract he signed a good one. That just means there were other GM's dumb enough to sign him for the same amount. And, there was only one other team willing to do such a thing from what I remember - GS. Not exactly a booming market for GA at the time.

Finally, we haven't even broached the obvious which is JW is supposed to be the one running the team now whereas GA ran the team before. So, essentially, they play the same position even if GA is not a "true" PG. He is not a "true" SG either. How does that puzzle fit together??? The answer is it doesn't on many levels.

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 21, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to take a moment to shoot down an assessment of Gil's injury history that gets posted on this blog way too often. I've already corrected people on this dozens of times, but is came up again earlier today.

Gilbert Arenas has NEVER had MICROFRACTURE surgery. It was a torn MENISCUS, but as always around here, let's not let the facts get in the way of a fun argument by all the chicken littles who think Gilbert will never recover from his injuries.

After all, MENISCUS and MICROFRACTURE both start with M's.

After Penny, Amare and others suffered through microfractures, I guess it became trendy for fans to fear that's what their injured player had. It has been a recurring post on here for the last two years. I think it may have started similarly to the recent "Gil tore his ACL" Twitter rumor, but it has had way more legs for some reason.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@SportzWiz,

You can call it whatever you want. Anytime you have three procedures on the same knee and miss 2 seasons bc of it, you are not going to be the same player you were before and his brief return last season proved it. Most of his quickness was still there bc he was able to still blow by his defender virtually at will, but he clearly had a lot less explosion at the rim resulting in many more misses than in years past.

Had he had one successful surgery with no setbacks, he might have come back pretty close to what he was and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Sadly, it didn't happen that way and GA has to take some blame for his apparent lack of listening skills.

Posted by: rphilli721 | July 21, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

After all, MENISCUS and MICROFRACTURE both start with M's.

Posted by: SportzWiz

"I repaired a partial tear of Gilbert's left medial meniscus," said Connell. "In addition, he had a nonweight-bearing articular surface defect in the trochlea treated by microfracture. We are optismitic that he will be able to return to action in three months."

Posted by: djnnnou | July 21, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

rp, Go root for Joe Johnson and the Hawks because GIL WILL BE A WIZARD! JW will NOT play 48 min. If Flip can't find a way to play both players we need a new coach. I think you already have your mind made up! JW is going to be an exceptional player and we don't know if he's going to be great. No one wants to come here and play until we start a winning trend. Gil or no Gil, we need pieces bottom line!

Posted by: zack5 | July 21, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse