Calling all Wizards fans

In September, The Post will introduce a new reader-driven blog for fans, by fans, focused solely on Washington sports. To fill out our roster of fan bloggers, we're looking for two of our best, most diehard Wizards fans to weigh in on whatever's happening in the world of the Wiz. While we'll ask all bloggers to occasionally weigh in on all of Washington's pro teams, we're particularly interested in having a pair of established Wizards voices as part of the project.

We're not just looking for regular fans, we're looking for fans who live and breathe the team, who are always scrambling for more information on John Wall, the defensive history of Flip Saunders-coached teams and where JaVale McGee stands in comparison to other young big men at his stage of development.

Although the blog will not launch until September, you can get started right away by filling out this form.

By Mitch Rubin  |  August 19, 2010; 4:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trevor Booker anxious for season to begin
Next: Fan Blog FAQ

Comments

Be careful. The profile for the bloggers leans heavily toward a stats orientation. Enough with the numbers already! How about ;somebody who understands the game and not just math?

Posted by: joe2chase | August 19, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"Enough with the numbers already! How about ;somebody who understands the game and not just math?Posted by: joe2chase"

LOL I'm wondering if this guy has trouble balancing his checkbook.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

So it's going to be a blog like SB Nation DC? Good luck with that.

Posted by: djnnnou | August 19, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Why is the Post trying to add content on the cheap?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 19, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Dude you posted this exact same post on redskins insider.

Posted by: tundey | August 19, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I probably know more than most fans, but no way would I be a part of this crapshoot.

You want a Washington Sports blog? Stick to sbnation - or Bullets Forever.

Posted by: iamse7en | August 19, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I have no interest, but I enjoy reading Kalorama and Larry in Clinton, MD. Two posters who seem to comment often and have relatively coherent thought processes.

Posted by: k_boogie | August 20, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I nominate DCMAN88 for his seminal contributions.

Posted by: KTV1 | August 20, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Why is the Post trying to add content on the cheap?

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Because newspapers in general are hemorrhaging money?

Posted by: ts35 | August 20, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Kévin Séraphin -Draft NBA et Cholet 2009-2010

There's a lot of things to like here, but J Dilla isn't one of them.

Posted by: djnnnou | August 20, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Because newspapers in general are hemorrhaging money?

Posted by: ts35 | August 20, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse "

Understood, but it looks sad. I tried to cancel my subscription and they practically begged me not to.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | August 20, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I could blog constantly if I wanted to. I could dazzle and amaze your brain with mind altering bombardments of facts and statistics. I could come up with an infinite array of subjects for discussion. I can blog anything and everything from what type of hair gel does Teddy use, to the origins of Cartier Martin's name, to a player by player break down of strengths and weaknesses, to the history of team uniforms, and on and on. Let alone ramble on forever about my opinions about what SHOULD be done! Such as move our DLeague team to B'more for example! I could do it in my sleep. But the fact is I just don't have time if I'm not getting paid.

Besides what is Mike so busy with that he doesn't have the time to blog? I mean after all isn't this HIS JOB ??? If I had his job and pay I'd be on it non stop!

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 20, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Because newspapers in general are hemorrhaging money?

Posted by: ts35 | August 20, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

So what's next...if there's a news story are they going to ask someone who happens to be in that area to write an article for them?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 20, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Let me guess, the two you select will be non-payed content producers for the deep pocketed Washington Post.

This is what happens in a recession. All these big corporations try to take advantage of the common man. Get people working for pennies or absolutely nothing, meanwhile the Washington Post makes money on the ads these non-payed writers produce.

Count me out.

Posted by: Independent11 | August 20, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Hell, I'd rather volunteer my time at a food kitchen then to allow a money machine like the Washington Post make money off my back like a slave laborer.

Posted by: Independent11 | August 20, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

It's actually pretty clever -- the Post staff recruit volunteers from all the major fan groups, whose main job will be to absorb vast amounts of criticism and complaint from the fan base...

And do it for free.

Ain't America great?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 21, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78

Clearly, you haven't been playing attention, some organizations are already doing that....

Posted by: ts35 | August 21, 2010 2:35 AM | Report abuse

I love this thread, because it spotlights yet again the perennially negative. Bask in the glory of a new and quite different topic to complain about and criticize all that makes the world turn around. It helps me to appreciate the brighter outlook I was blessed with, to enjoy life and work positively with others. Go Wizards, and good luck to the selected blogger.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 21, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

At first glance, you might think, well okay, sounds good, but the time required in the final analysis deserves some type of return.

We already get some satisfaction from seeing our own words in print now. What is the added benefit?

It is almost like a free lance writer, isn't it? Don't they get paid as well?

It almost has to be an audition for a paid position?

To me, that's the only way to look at it. If it isn't, why would anyone do what we are all already doing now in our own way own our own sweet time?

I would love to hear Kornheiser's take on this.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 21, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"I guess you could look at this like a an apprentice/internship to land a job as a writer. But, don't they in most cases get paid a little something for their time and efforts."

-- Yes they do, unless it's a recession and there are tens of millions of unemployed, hurting people whom they can take advantage of.

And of course if they start you at $0 salary and you work out, then you'll feel thrilled when they offer you a whopping $300 per week to take over Michael Lee's job.

This is how corporate America operates. "Give us your poor, needy, and desperate so we can use them as free/cheap labor. Otherwise, God forbid, we'd have to pay someone a livable wage."

Shame on the Post!

Posted by: Independent11 | August 21, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I guess some of you have never pursued a significant career and enjoyed perks. I'm going to sound like a shill for the Post. I figure the winner gets press credentials of some sort, will have an inside track to free game attendance and chance to meet players, and get a fantastic internship opportunity on a silver platter. Sports reporting is not my own field, but this is a great deal for someone. Maybe not the middle aqged men among us who are busy enough already. Not everything worthwhile in life is paid. A good positive blogger is bound to be able to wrangle free attendance if they try. For career building, this is a goldmine of an internship. But go ahead and gripe about corporate America.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Before anyone accepts this, please read this NY Times article on this very subject:

The Unpaid Intern, Legal or Not

Here's a quote from that article:

"The Labor Department says it is cracking down on firms that fail to pay interns properly and expanding efforts to educate companies, colleges and students on the law regarding internships.

“If you’re a for-profit employer or you want to pursue an internship with a for-profit employer, there aren’t going to be many circumstances where you can have an internship and not be paid and still be in compliance with the law,” said Nancy J. Leppink, the acting director of the department’s wage and hour division. "

Posted by: Independent11 | August 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I'll agree Independent, excellent point. In my field, internships are extremely valuable career stepping stones for both the private and public sector, but the internships themselves are mostly with govt agencies. I still say getting the blog exposure of the post and the inside track to access to the Wizards is a great deal for someone in the right time of their life. I figure you would be able to wrangle seats in 106 LLL at the press tables for any self respecting wheeler dealer taking the position.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 21, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I used to work in the Entertainment Industry (starting right out of college). I too worked for peanuts in the beginning (probably $8/hour in NYC -- mind you -- to answer phones). I was quickly promoted, and then eventually promoted again, but NEVER did I work for free. It was extremely competitive to get any kind of job at this company mind you.

And yes, I went to hundreds of free concerts, met famous people -- dealt with them daily, flew around the world, etc.

EVEN THEN, I never worked for free. This is all about the recession, and the Washington Post taking advantage of hurting aspiring writers -- a breed who already gets used and devalued year after year.

And college students these days are up to their necks in college debt, so to take advantage of them is even appalling.

Posted by: Independent11 | August 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyways, I've said my piece.

I hope all read that NY Times article I posted, whether you take the internship or not. It's good to know what your right are, because this is most definitely an employer's market, and people are most definitely getting taking advantage of.

At my wife's company, they are now trying to push out everyone who's been there longer than ten years, to clear their payroll. They are ramping up the number of interns, taking on recent college grads at practically minimum wage, and promoting them extremely quickly while barely raising their wage levels with the promotions.

It's sick what's going on these days in corporate America where earnings are actually reported to be up.

Posted by: Independent11 | August 21, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Why would you assume that?

The reason I check out this web site is because it's called the Washington Insider and I hope Michael has better info about the team since he can get into the locker room and press conferences then the average fan.

Ifan average fan gets the job I hope the post changes the name of the blog to the Wizards Outsider?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 21, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Interesting info on Washington Post earnings from a couple weeks ago:

Washington Post Co. reports nearly eightfold rise in second-quarter earnings
By Frank Ahrens
Saturday, August 7, 2010

"Second-quarter earnings at The Washington Post Co. rose nearly eightfold, compared with the same period of 2009, as profits soared at the company's education division and advertising rebounded at The Post Co.'s six television stations.

The company earned $91.9 million ($10 a share) on $1.2 billion in second-quarter revenue this year, compared with $12.2 million ($1.30) in profit on $1.1 billion in revenue in the second quarter of 2009. "

Nah, they can't afford to pay an intern minimum wage to produce content.

Greedy bastards!

Posted by: Independent11 | August 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

And do it for free.

Posted by: Samson151

Clever or Husker Du fans?

We feed the rats to the cats and the cats to the rats and get the cat skins for nothing.

Posted by: djnnnou | August 21, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'd totally go for this if I was 20 years younger and in college and had loads of free time on my hands.

I'd also be interested if it indeed came with perks such as season tickets, press credentials, paid NBA ticket package on my Direct TV, paid internet & maybe a nice laptop...

ragtop4spd I don't know why you "assume" such perks are included. They don't mention anything like that and only state it's a fan based blog (not a press affiliated writer with any kind of access) to post a "fan's" (outsider's) point of view. If it came with any kind of worthwhile perks don't you think they'd advertise that to get more quality applicants??

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 21, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Again I just don't have time to work for free.

And to be honest I get more than enough "fan's" point of view reading the comments on here. I think we all here do a fine job as it is.

What we really need more of is high quality "REPORTING" from Michael Lee. More inside information, maybe some actual conversation with Ernie Grunfeld and Ted Leonsis, some actual in-depth player profiles. More actual high level high access information.

More fan blogging is just really not something that's needed. I get plenty of it here, on Bulletsforever, and realgm. What I'd really like is more posting and columns on the Wizards from Michael Lee and The Washington Post!! That's what I come here for!

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 21, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

So, what I think I'm hearing is that several of you are begging WAPO for a cash inducement before you agree to waste some of your precious time doing something that you're ALREADY wasting FREE time with on point-counterpoint "I'm right, you're wrong: go suck foul air through a straw and know that I am the annointed expert analysis provider for those whose eyes are currently closed!" Did I overstate that?

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 22, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

"So, what I think I'm hearing is that several of you are begging WAPO for a cash inducement before you agree to waste some of your precious time doing something that you're ALREADY wasting FREE time with"

- I personally would just like to see a big national corporation like the Washington Post pay their writers to produce content -- from which they will earn advertising revenues.

AND it's mandated by federal labor laws.

Posted by: Independent11 | August 22, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree that the longer I read this blog, the more I wonder what other demands Michael Lee has on his time, because he misses so many opportunities for stories he could pursue. NBA basketball is a lot about human interest, and insight, and we get so little of that. Michael, here are some softballs for you to pursue:
What is Juan Dixon, a DC favorite, up to; how are the Wiz going planning to mix in veteran experience to mentor the young players; what about 4th quarter strategy and leadership; what about the remaining free agent discussions; health progress for Blatche and Howard; anything Arenas at this point; what's up with the Jamison situation, stuck in Cleveland.

To those who wonder how I assume the obvious on perks - well the snide answer is that I don't live in a black hole of negativity. But more conversationally, I don't think they can sustain interest in the view of someone who watches all 82 games from their couch. To make the fans' view interesting, there has to be game attendance and at least some inside information. Give it some thought before you lash out. And to close, a lot of us working class fans still find ways to attend 30% to 100% of the games already. At the very least they will select someone who already gets to games. I guess some folks are not aware of how easy it would be to get a blogger comp. access to the games - it's no big deal for the providers, but would be a great benefit to the blogger.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | August 22, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

ragtop4spd right they're probably looking for someone who already is a season ticket holder. I'm sure that's one of their unspoken requirements as they sort through applicants.

And you make a great point about Michael Lee. I mean I thought Ivan was bad, this guy is a downright joke.

He is never 1st with any kind of relevant news. He offers no insight or interesting point of view on anything. Whenever I've heard him on the John Thompson show he sounds like he's half awake.

Yeah, what is Juan Dixon up to?? He's always said he'd love to be a part of Gary Williams coaching staff at some point.

What ever happened to Sweets who was invited to the Wiz Summer League but never showed?

I heard so little about Arenas this offseason! How about talking to Tim Grover about how Arenas was working up at Hoops Gym? Has he been working at Verizon? Have there been any pick up games? What are guys like Thornton, Young and Armstrong doing?

How are Blatche and Howard progressing? What about Seraphin? How do the Wizards brass feel about their front court which was rated as the worst in the NBA in a recent poll? Are they still looking to add any other pieces (Oberto, Singleton, Cartier Martin)?? What are the team's plans for Hamady Ndiaye?

With all of these young and relatively inexperienced bigs (Seraphin, Ndiaye, McGee, Blatche, Yi, Armstrong), has there been any consideration to adding a full time big man coach to the staff to work with these guys?!

I mean this is the type of information we want. And this is not the kind of information we will get from another "fan". I mean seriously, WHAT IS MICHAEL LEE DOING ??????????

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 22, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

One guy possibly worth a training camp invite also could be Joe Alexander, the former #8 pick from WVA.

I guess considering what's out there Oberto would be worth bringing back. He knows the system and team, and if a dependable and physical low post defender which we lack. He also adds an experienced vet to our mix of young bigs.

Posted by: Darnell1 | August 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"Looking at the remaining free agents, a guy who could be interesting to consider is Peja Stojakovic. Not a whole lot left out there... Joe Smith, former Wizards Bobby Simmons, Kwame Brown, Jarvis Hayes, Darius Songaila, Etan Thomas."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Peja under contract for another year with Chris Paul & co?

Posted by: TDAV | August 22, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Peja is a 33-year-old, one-dimensional player who can't stay healthy (he's only played more than 70 games twice (71, 77) in the last 6 years) and couldn't guard or rebound well at his position even when he was young and healthy. No thanks, even on a 1-year deal.

Posted by: kalo_rama | August 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Right on Ragtop4spd!

Some of these folks are so negative. Clinton said it best; if you do a good job blogging, you might get paid.

And hey!, did anyone notice that we are doing it anyway (for free).

All of us are busy, hard working people but we find time because we "Love the Wiz"; Bullets or whom ever.

And that's what they asked for; passionate Wizards fans, bloggers not complainers.

I Love all ya'll! Peace & Blessings, John