JaVale McGee and Jeff Green officially cut from Team USA

At least JaVale McGee had a sense of humor about what transpired on Sunday, when he and former Georgetown star Jeff Green were officially cut from Team USA. McGee announced the news on this Twitter account, @bigdaddywookie, before USA Basketball sent out a release nearly an hour later with McGee and Green omitted from the list of 13 finalists.

McGee offered a hint this morning when he wrote, "hey my twollowers i got some good news and some bad news...i think ima tell the bad news first."

A few minutes later, McGee wrote, "The Bad new is..... I got cut from the USA team :(... But i get to go back and work out again and get better for the wizards... The Good news is... i saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to geiko [sp] ... #TRUE STORY."

The news wasn't a surprise, since McGee and Green were both kept out of the United States' scrimmage against China on Saturday. McGee also was cut from the team last July, and was only invited back after Brook Lopez failed to fully recover from mononucleosis. McGee didn't help his cause with an uneven performance in the team scrimmage at Radio City Music Hall on Thursday, when he left Tyson Chandler open for a game-winning dunk in sudden death overtime. Green also had an embarrassing moment when he missed a breakaway dunk.

The 13 finalists for 12 Team USA spots are Chauncey Billups, Chandler, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Kevin Love, Lamar Odom, Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook. The team will now only carry one true center on its roster during the FIBA World Championships in Turkey from Aug. 28 to Sept. 12.

"It's always difficult to have to pare down and make these decisions because each of these young men have given their time and energy to be part of USA Basketball," USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said in the release. "The decision made was predicated on having less players to work with and play during the upcoming exhibition games which will help in terms of our final preparations. So rather than bring 14 or 15 players, we will now go with 13 because we have yet to make a final determination of the 12."

McGee and Green were both free to attend Team USA's exhibition against France on Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden. Neither player will travel to Madrid, where the team will train for the next week and play exhibition games against Lithuania and Spain.

By Michael Lee  |  August 15, 2010; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  JaVale McGee
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: JaVale McGee to get cut again?
Next: Yi Jianlian has rough outing for China

Comments

If I was McGee, I would tell them "I'm busy" the next time. Besides if he gets hurt, then there is another hole the Wizards would have to plug this season. It would be far more important for him to work out and develop some low post moves then sitting on the bench for team U.S.A.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | August 15, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to watch the game anyway.

Posted by: rickgonz | August 15, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Thats OK by me, it just doesnt seem right to have Wizards news in August and September anyway.

Posted by: US-conscience | August 15, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

If he truly learned something and is going to get better that sounds like good news to me

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | August 15, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

McGee's going for the record of how many times he can get cut from the same squad.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 15, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

If I was McGee, I'd send them a postcard of my rear end next time they invite him back. It's probably enough to gain a little experience working out and playing with these guys but if you really didn't plan to keep him, why keep calling him back? Wiz training camp is a little more than a month away, take your break and show the Wiz fans that you are our "FORCE" in the middle!

PS: I will be in the house opening night, hope you guys give me a reason to wanna come back!

Posted by: zack5 | August 15, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

i LIKE mcgee, but i didn't expect him to make the team. Javale is an exceptional athlete, but he is also what used to be known as a "gopher." so anxious to make a spectacular block or dunk that even eye-fakes will get him up and out of position. the kid NEEDS a teacher. he has not learned how to play a man's game yet. so, don't be mad at the coach, HE is trying to win. therefore, he's gonna pick the best ball players, not the best athletes. he don't have time for potential: THAT is what The Bullets general manager should be (and already HAVE BEEN) doing. Javale makes mistakes that that good 9th graders wouldn't even make on a playground court.

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to JaVale for getting a call-back. He's had an inside look at what it takes to make the team, I'm sure he got some good advice and now it's up to him to tune up his games and take it to the next level. Someone is always watching and they saw enough to invite him back. Eyes will continue to watch him and as he matures and develops perhaps another opportunity will be in order-One one which he can capitalize. I've always advocated for a true big man coach on the staff of the Wizards, maybe the new owner will insist on it to make the most of his development. McGee is still relatively young and for his upside, the skies the limit. The Wizard ought to know that others have their eyes on their asset and help him maximize his potential. Go for it!

Posted by: zbopjazz | August 15, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

javale's still young, and learning...he's from what i call the hype generation...once he figures out that steady is better than spectacular, the game will flow from him easily. he will then in turn have the opportunity to become spectacular without even trying.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | August 15, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I know Javale is a laid back type character but hopefully this ticks him off! So when Tyson or Odom try to guard him he dogs them out! Odom will stand out on the perimeter shooting jump shots anyways because he is soft! Which is why Coach K likes him because like duke their bigmen just want to shoot jumpers! I am surprised he didn't go to Duke where the rest of the soft bigmen go! If Zoubek was one of the toughest bigmen Duke has seen in years then that is saying something...and its not good! For the record if you wanted to add rebounding or toughness on the inside you had other choices besides chandler...Okaford for example still a better choice then chandler!

Posted by: SkinzFan4lyfe | August 15, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

In saying that I am glad he got the chance to learn and grow but mostly I am glad he is healthy and hopefully hungry to learn the game...Plus he has to catch up with his mom and LITTLE sister who have international gold medals...LOL come on JaVale tighten up!

Posted by: SkinzFan4lyfe | August 15, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the perception of the high school coach who cut Michael Jordan had of him. He probably thought, he's got some talent, but no BBall smarts.

I remember when I used to play street ball and this guy who was tough as nails, said about me, I don't want to play with you, nor do I want to play against you.

I just smiled.

I was a runnin' gunnin' son' of a gun. They thought it was all about talent but it wasn't, it was about smarts all the time.

For, I realized with my minimal skill level, I could always beat the guy with talent if I ran his butt in the ground. They never understood that it wasn't my talent that I depended on, it was always about being smarter.

The first to the hoop, the first to the ball, being faster and smarter, talent be damned.

You see, that's the way McGee plays, John Wall plays that way, McGee doesn't set screans to free the guard, he sets screens to to get a lob. Some say that's stupid and shows a lack of intel, maybe, maybe not.

You see that guy who never wanted to play against me nor with me but who was older and a better talent than me never could beat me. Not individually, nor with the team he chose. He was a basketball knowledge guy stuck on how the game ought to be played.

When I finished runnin his butt in the ground he never could understand how I always beat his butt.

I was smarter than him. I overplayed, I outjumped him, I went up to block shots of shooters to keep them from shooting to force them to pass.

He thought I was a out of control dummy on the the court. But what he did not realize was that I really did understand what basketball really was and I could always choose a team than understood likewise and we beat his butt everyday of the weak.

McGee makes bigtime mistakes on the court, but it would be a mistake to believe that it is because he lacks knowledge of the game. The lack of knowledge that McGee is being acused of doesn't right itself overnight or at all.

That boy does not have a lack of BBall IQ.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 15, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

yes it is true you can save money on your auto insurance by making few simple changes find how much you can save http://bit.ly/d4HSCH

Posted by: lillypurce12 | August 16, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

"That boy does not have a lack of BBall IQ."

Says LarryInClingtonMD - with the funny part being that Lamar Odom, a member of the current NBA champs, said essentially the exact opposite about JM. Something about the game is called "basketball, and not run and jump." If that is not an indictment on JM's "BBall IQ", I don't know what is. He is saying JM is a great athlete that has a long way to go to become a good/great basketball player, which anyone with a clue already gets. Sorry Larry there is no secret code that somehow only you and JM get when it comes to how basketball is played. Snap out of your fantasy world.

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 16, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lillypurce12 | August 16, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

McGee doesn't set screens to free the guard, he sets screens to to get a lob. Some say that's stupid and shows a lack of intel, maybe, maybe not.
Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Gee, if you put it like that, it sounds like someone who is more about what's good for himself and not what's good for the team.

rphilli721 is right. There's no secret code. No one in the basketball world has said JaVale is dumb, only that he still has a lot to learn.

You've put sufficient praise on Coach K this summer, that you should respect his opinion now. If basketball was all about run and jump, don't you think Coach K would have chosen to keep McGee?

Stop trying to twist things so far around. McGee is a wonderfully athletic young player who still has things to learn about playing basketball. The Wizards have said it, Coach K has said it, Jerry Colangelo has said it, Chauncey Billups has said it, Lamar Odom has said it. What about all of that is so hard to accept? And why is it a bad thing to say he has things to learn?

Actually, Jordan was a sophomore trying to make the varsity team, and was only 5'11" at the time. His coach thought he was too short to play varsity.

Posted by: ts35 | August 16, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

question: is it "smart" that players on opposing teams know that Javale ALWAYS bites on the first fake?? i call that DUMB. he is so concerned about "gating" a shot that he, too often, puts his own self out of position to play GOOD TEAM DEFENSE! that's all i'm saying. if i'm coaching, i don't want Javale to be "Mr Spectacular," his jobs are to (1) defend the lane and not give up easy baskets. if you can block it, fine, especially if you can do a make it easy, (2) rebound the ball, and (3) make himself a scoring option. neither of the first two requires drama or super athleticism: proof? Brendan Haywood. i'll be the first to say that Javale has a boatload more "potential," but Brendan has better fundamentals. i just want our guy to be the best he can be.

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 16, 2010 2:29 AM | Report abuse

what i meant to say was "especially if you can tap a ball to a teammate, a la Bill Russell... anyway, you get the point.

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 16, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Not DUMB...He lacks self-discipline. He'll gain it from experience this year.

Posted by: Newington32 | August 16, 2010 2:43 AM | Report abuse

WOW! We still need two bodies to fill out the roster. EG's waiting for cuts. He should sign SINGLETON.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 16, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

It was pretty clear that McGee would have mostly been waving a towel had he been the 12th man. So in the end this worked out pretty well for him. He got exposed to some great coaching, got to work out with a group of great players, and he gets a little break before camp.

Everything McGee does right now should be about improvement to his game. Running around and putting up garbage time dunks on the Chineese with a 30 point lead wasn't going to make him better. I think Coach K was very aware of that fact when he sat him.

McGee should take this as a lesson that he has the ability to be one of the game's best, now he just has to keep working to really belong there.

He doesn't need to tell anyone to kiss his anything, he's not good enough to feel that he was cut by mistake. McGee knew what the deal was going in, he'd have to shock the world in order to make this squad. He didn't play well enough to do that.

What he got in return for his work was the chance to improve by working and practicing with a topnotch group of players, and getting the prespective of one of the games best coaches on his game.

We're not going to see a suddenly perfect player this year, but odds are we'll see an improved one. I remember when the Wiz picked him that it was said he was a "project" that would take 3 to 4 years to develop.

It seems to me that he's just starting to really bloom and develop his talent this summer. He'll need the improvement, because right now he's projected to be the Wiz's starting center. Now he has to prove that he's earned it...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | August 16, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Coach K was talking about the US squad being short on bulk. That could be particularly evident against Greece, which has that center, Sofoklis Schortsanitis ('Baby Shaq'), who's 25, about the same height as Kevin Love, but at 330lbs, almost impossible to move once he's camped low. McGee and Jeff Green wouldn't help there, either.

They're just going to have to work around it.

I guess the Greeks would be in the tier directly below Spain, Lithuania, and Argentina. Those aren't overwhelmingly big teams this year, either, although each has a decent center. That victory over China was accomplished mostly because the Chinese guards couldn't handle pressure.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 16, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I like McGee because despite the criticism he takes because of his many flaws, he doesn't seem to pout. Of course, he's got fans here who do it for him, but so far, he seems like someone who might just get to be a good basketball player.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 16, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like JM has his head on straight about working hard and improving. I think we will see a much better player this season, the asthma revelation alone should make an enormous difference. He's got so much to work with you'd like to think that as long as he's receptive to coaching and instruction he'll be fine.

Posted by: divi3 | August 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I agree with that, especially if he keeps his asthma under control. Just not hitting that wall will probably be a big difference for him. I think we will see some improvement in his defensive fundamentals this year. I think we will also see more than a few rim-rattling -oops courtesy of JW. Hopefully McGee doesn't get too far ahead of himself though on the offensive end. He still has a lot to do to refine his offensive game.

Posted by: ts35 | August 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes Larry...JaVale's bball IQ is so high that people who know basketball can't even see it!

He outruns guards on the break...because he leaves 2 seconds before them. Your C shouldn't be ahead of your break. It doesn't make sense. Just like in the scrimmage...WHY ARE YOU LEAVING BEFORE YOUR PG? Make sure the rebound is secured...then go.

Don't set the screen to free the guard...means your guard gets trapped. I forgot though...JaVale is so quick that the human eye can't catch it? Remember?

JaVale's IQ is so high that he confused Coach K enough to cut him...at a position that they basically have nobody else. So high that he is convinces everyone that watches him that it isn't there. That's AMAZING.

He just needs to learn. Stop acting like the entire world can't see what's obvious. Yes, he's athletic. Pure athletes won't cut it though.

Okay your turn Larry. What do you call it when someone makes the SAME mistakes over, and over...for 2 1/2 years?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

They're just going to have to work around it.

Big Sofo is a load, but my understanding is also that, not surprisingly, he doesn't run well. So their work around for it will likely be to run him out of the game.

Fraschilla was hyping up the Greek team as not necessarily having top-tier talent, but as being one of the more experienced, complete units in the tourney. Especially with so many of the 'name' players being out.

I think he also mentioned Brazil as a challenge. They have the former coach of the Argentine team, plus Varejao, Nene, Splitter and Barbosa, which makes them big, experienced and with a PG who has a chance to handle the US pressure.

Posted by: Samson151

Posted by: ts35 | August 16, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

There really is no surprise. McGee is an insurance policy, as long as no bigs (mainly Chandler) got hurt, McGee would not be on the final roster.

Posted by: sagaliba | August 16, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Not DUMB, just lacks self-discipline..."

And the difference between those two attributes is precisely what? Both reside IN THE REALM OF THE MIND. Both directly relate to recognition and self-control. You agree? Therefore, six in one hand, half-a-dozen in the other. I prefer DUMB. Maybe, if he reads this, he'll be challenged to make a positive change. I am happy as hell that he's on our team, but dumb is as dumb does.

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Just thinking back...who was it that said that the international teams aren't even close to the USA because we play streetball...but we havent won a World Championship since '94? That's crazy.

Looking at the rosters that these teams COULD put out...they aren't bad. France even has a bunch of NBA guys. Parker, Bourbois, Batum, Diaw, Noah, Mahinmi, Ajinca...6 deep with NBA players. And they got some more guys in this year Seraphini and a couple guys from Dallas if I remember right. That's 8-9 deep.

Spain...they got plenty of talent too. Should be fun to watch.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | August 16, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Not DUMB, just lacks self-discipline..."

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

HE WILL GET MOTIVATED BY YOUR INTELLECTUAL INTERPETATION OF SELF DISCIPLINE AND DUMB.

WHAT A DUMB POST.