Andray Blatche negotiated deal without an agent

I spoke with Andray Blatche about his new three-year extension -- which will pay him about $28 million more between now and the 2014-15 season -- and discovered an interesting detail: the 24-year-old Blatche negotiated the deal without an agent.

In a move that had been in the works for some time, from what I hear, Blatche severed ties with his long-time agent, Eric Fleisher, last month. Blatche told me that before signing on Friday, he hired an attorney to help him with the legal language of the contract, which is similar to what Gilbert Arenas did when he signed his six-year, $111-million contraction in the summer of 2008.

Blatche said coming to terms with the Wizards was a no-brainer for him. He said he wanted the deal done so that he could remain in Washington, where his career began after the Wizards took him with the 49th overall pick in 2005.

He also wanted to be a part of the rebuilding efforts under Coach Flip Saunders and with No. 1 overall pick John Wall. "We're going to be fast, explosive, quick," Blatche said. "Flip, he's done a tremendous job, with players being in shape. Being in that gym, in that arena everyday, there is a lot of positive energy going around. It's going to be fun for us. I think it's going to be a great season for us."

Blatche was still playing under the five-year, $12.5 million contract he signed in 2007. He will earn $5.9 million this season -- a nearly $2.7 increase from what he would've made without this new contract -- and is expected to make about $8.4 million in the final season. With the money he was already slated to earn over the next two seasons, Blatche will make a total of $35 million over the next five years. He could make more through incentives.

"Any person, a deal like that, anybody would want one," Blatche said. "No player in my predicament can say no to someone wanting to give you [an average of] seven [million dollars] a year. So I said yes, and I'm happy that they gave me the opportunity."

The deal actually works out well for both sides, with the Wizards locking up an athletic, 6-foot-11 big man until he's 29. For Blatche, he will still be in his prime at the conclusion of the deal and could potential sign another deal.

Blatche also said the foot he broke last June has "healed" but he supports the team's efforts to bring him along slowly. He was adamant that he wouldn't miss any games. I have some more details in Sunday's paper, but I wanted to get the discussion started here a little sooner.

By Michael Lee  | September 25, 2010; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  Andray Blatche
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards training camp roster complete
Next: Media day has arrived, Midnight Tip-off to follow

Comments

i wonder what are the stats of players getting contracts without agents. I only know gil did that because he was so friendly with abe.

Posted by: jefferu | September 25, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: closg | September 25, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Too many holes, not enough plugs. BIGS over WINGS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

BOOKER is going to be looked at to play the 4-3 and take JAMES SINGLETON's slot.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

So his contract looks something like this:

2010/11 - $5,900,000
2011/12 - $6,519,500
2012/13 - $7,139,000
2013/14 - $7,758,500
2014/15 - $8,378,000

That's a mild disappointment. With our cap flexibility this year, I was hoping for a front-loaded deal designed to minimize his cap hit in 2012. I would have preferred a deal like this:

2010/11 - $7,800,000
2011/12 - $6,981,000
2012/13 - $6,162,000
2013/14 - $6,981,000
2014/15 - $7,800,000

The goal is to maximize cap room in 2012 (when Hinrich is also off the books). Assuming no major additions other than draft picks, we could have about $15M in cap room in 2012 (assuming a $7.4M cap hold for McGee).

Posted by: nate33 | September 25, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I guess there's no reason to hope for a team option on the fifth year.

Posted by: djnnnou | September 25, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I am very surprised that AB did this w/o an agent.

When you look at the whole ramifications of this contract and what it means to AB and to the Team, you might say that Blatche is a noble guy.

Mr. Blatche apreed to what he felt was good enough for him and at the same time it does not hinder the overall flexibility to the Wizards when it comes to cap considerations.

Especially in light of this article I ran across that indicates that the owners would like to see a hard cap v. a soft cap...Here are the projected insights of what a hard cap could mean for the NBA.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 25, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with you about Blatche, it was a solid move locking him up. However, using TWO picks to acquire Booker was troubling. Why use both our late 1st-round pick AND or high 2nd-round picks on Booker, an under-sized PF in college? Booker himself was projected to be a 2nd round pick in every major pre-draft mock.

Posted by: closg | September 25, 2010 5:15 PM

Don't continuously mistake quantity for quality.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 25, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

No agent = No commission = Mo' money

Posted by: bobabuie | September 25, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see Wall and AB running the pick-and-pop. And the return of Gil is going to be great for AB's post game, because teams aren't going to be able to double him and leave Gil open on the perimeter. Gil may or may not still have his explosiveness, but he's still a tremendous outside shooter.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | September 25, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 25, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

You stay classy, DCMAN

Posted by: IrenePollin | September 25, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about Blotch, McGhee , Unseld , Elvin Hayes , Webber (what a bum ) or anybody but that silly Arenas.

I am happy that we got John Wall but I read somewhere that we may trade Arenas for Curry. I would trade Arenas for Stephon Curry or his little brother , Eddie Curry or even a bit of Indian curry.

When are we going to get rid of this clown ?

Posted by: rickywarner49 | September 26, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

"Booker himself was projected to be a 2nd round pick in every major pre-draft mock.
Posted by: closg"

Major pre-draft mocks being a suitable subject for mockery. Once you're outside those top ten or twelve picks, the error rate goes up.

Booker is another one of those late risers, based in part on those speed figures from the NBA predraft camp. I don't think anyone expected him to show that sort of athletic ability. He was rightly described as an aggressive, hard-working player who was undersized at PF, but nobody thought he was going to outrun the guards and outlift the forwards. That'll lift your stock plenty, and it did.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

"I wondered who was the dummy advising him when he signed this stupid extension. Come to find out now that AB was advising himself. That explains it all.Posted by: DC_MAN88"

I thought he did pretty well for himself.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Time will tell if Booker's the real thing or a workout warrior, but that was a performance for the ages by a 240 lb. man.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only person who feels that Arenas has done this team dirty ?

I blame the management for ever resigning him to begin with. I blame Arenas (I don't call people I don't like by their first name ) for his lack of production and stupidity.

People around DC act as if Arenas is doing the Wizards a favor by being available. He has no where else to go , nobody else would pay stupid money for him.

When the season is over , I'll return and say I told you so once again as I did when we first re-signed him and have been doing ever since !

Posted by: rickywarner49 | September 26, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I thought he did pretty well for himself.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:26 AM

Agreed. And it seems like the rare "win-win" deal where both sides should be happy. I'm sure the main thing for him was not having to wait 2 more years for a raise (he could be hurt again, not playing well, etc)....and if his play this year is in the ballpark of the 32 game stretch last season, it's one of the best contracts in the league.

This was Leonsis' doing and it's a real departure from Abe's ways, best move franchise has made in forever. Little risk or downside, tremendous upside that's already been displayed and is not just potential.

Posted by: divi3 | September 26, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

This is going to be the best team the Wiz have put on the floor in a long time. I just hope Flip don't screw it up. Blatche is a keeper and I'm glad Ted realized it. Booker will have to play the 3 and only the 3. He's like Milsap. Teb go hire a big man coach not teh fake ones the Wiz currently have. Flip see if your old roomy McHale wants to help teach the bigs.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | September 26, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"I thought he did pretty well for himself.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

re: Booker

Gani Lawal led the Suns summer league team in points, rebs, and blocks. They are very happy with him, and he will be the player to track in regards to whether moving up for Booker was necessary.

Posted by: divi3 | September 26, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

No commission off less money might equal less money. It all depends. At the end of the day if the player and the organization are happy with the deal, that's what matters.

Assuming Blatche stays healthy and produces on the same level over the next couple years as he did in the second half of last year and assuming no lock-out, etc, etc, etc, he might have cost himself some money.

Instead, coming off what probably is a low-risk injury, he gets a deal which provides him and his family with enough financial security to last a few lifetimes (provided he doesn't pull an Antoine Walker, which doesn't seem too likely).

With the prospect of a lock-out next year too, it probably makes a lot of sense to put away an extra $1 or $2 million.

Smart move by the organization -- smart move by the player.

Posted by: JPRS | September 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Blatche did a noble job with this contract, and clearly, the Wizards jumped at it. Two years from now this contract will look good if the League is successful in bringing about hard caps, but if they are not and players can continue to get MV then this contract is just a bit more than peanuts.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Millionaire Peanuts that is.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 26, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

From the Sunday paper:

The injury was a setback to some of his summer plans, but Blatche refused to let it get him down.

"I don't think this affected me at all. It was a curse and a blessing at the same time," he said. "I never in my life worked so hard in the offseason and I've been in the gym every day, doing cardio work, strength work. Don't get me wrong, I was very frustrated, but now, I see how I run and I jump, and I'm thankful. Everything happens for a reason. I look at it as a blessing."

Posted by: bobabuie | September 26, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

DCMAN88, I think you're the greatest, I'm your biggest fan here. But you think you might be just a teeny weenie bit mistaken on whether or not Blatche thought his current contract was a good deal? Because he, you know, fired the agent who negotiated it. And then he renegotiated it himself. Remember, at the time, he'd been arrested for soliciting hookers, and back in those days before players started waving guns around, that was considered a big deal that might affect his market value. Which is why he got a lousy contract.

Dude, even a total genius like you who's never wrong can be kinda sorta just a little wrong sometimes. Maybe. You think?

Posted by: KTV1 | September 26, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

This thing with Booker and Seraphin and Armstrong, and Ndiaye and even Yi, I am going to give Ernie the BOTD. With training camp upcoming, we can then start to see whether he used our draft picks wisely.

As I have said before, it is like he was trying to hit home runs with the picks instead of staying with them and going with the best guy available that suited our needs.

It is not taboo to swap picks and do things with them, but it seems his end selections/results, makes you go "What" or "I don't get that", but let's wait till camp to really start judging if we really got anything in the draft besides John Wall.

I would not be surprised if Armstrong and Ndiaye turns out to be the best of the crew and they don't even want to keep Ndiaye.

As one famous coach rounds' these parts used to say, "coach em' up."

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"I'm sure he thought he did well for himself after he signed his current contract too.
Posted by: DC_MAN88"

I don't know any more about what he thought than you do. All I'm saying is, I thought the contract he just signed was a pretty good deal for him. So to me, your argument that he's an idiot for signing it -- well, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Also, that $111 million dollar deal that Gilbert signed without an agent -- that worked out OK for Gilbert.

Maybe all these guys ought to fire their agents, hire a lawyer to vet the contract proposals, and devote more their time to sucking up to management.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

It is hard to undermine AB, he is so matured, it must be mama who helped him to make his decision.
He is going to make an additinal 7.2 million in the coming 2 years, if he would consider to opt out by 2011-12, what would have been the possiblities of the contract he could get?
If he is healthy and be as we all expect him (based on his talent)He might gate a 50-55 million for 6 years.2012-2018, he will make a total of 57-62 milion until 2018. with this new contract, he is going to make 35milion by 2015 and he could easily get a similar contract of 35-40 milion by 2019 which could be a total of 70-75 million. To me this deal is more secured,more money and less pressure.He did well.

Posted by: gtefferra | September 26, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how much we'll know about the long-term prospects for our draft choices by the end of camp, either. Seraphin is young, raw, and missed the whole summer. Ndiaye is clearly a project they might have preferred to see in Europe. More importantly, the club that surrounds them is a weak one, which will be integrating Wall and waiting for Blatche to round into playing form.

Personally, I'm willing to wait and see how they develop. But then I've got lower expectations for this team than most.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

And back to the Blatche situation, you really can fault him for wanting to make a deal now before this perceived lock out mess rolls around. You can only fault that he didn't use an agent.

I am sure than an agent would have asked for more.

Would the Wizs then have settled?

I am sure that the Wiz are well aware that Mr. Stern is leaning towards a Hard Cap League and they might not have wanted to put themselves in unmangageable Cap territory with a max Blatche deal.

That is why I say that Andre Blatch did a noble thing.

Course there are some that probably are wondering that Mr. Blatche could do anything. He's a lazy attention getter according to some.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 26, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Blatche did very well for himself.

This contract essentially gives him the last two years of his previous contract now (and with a lockout for 2011 on the horizon that's not bad at all) and it allows him get his future salary etched in stone now without worrying about how the proposed "hard cap" will affect him.

"You stay classy, DCMAN

Posted by: IrenePollin | September 25, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse "

Nah....classy would be if I sh@t in my teammates shoes in an attempt to be funny, or if I tried to pick up a hooker and had to go to John school, or if I blamed the team/owner/management for my mistakes even though they'll pay me about $165 mil for the life of my two contracts here. The list goes on.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 11:05 AM

Posted by: ahwyatt | September 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"It's futile to DCMAN88. He never has anything good to say about the Wizards or its players, so why would his view toward this contract extension be any different? He hates the guys we sign and likes the guys we don't. The Wizards pay too much or the players ask for too little. In short, his input is for antagonistic purposes only and should be viewed as such.

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | September 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse "

I'll say good things when I see them.

It's good for Les BouleS that they locked up AB, but bad for AB to not seek advice on what his market value is and to have a professional negotiate for him. All AB is seeing is a pay raise, not necessarily receiving market value.

I know AB is giddy, but I think BTH's contract is still bigger.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Of course, none of that has ANYTHING to do with your assertion that Blatche signed a bad contract, but whatever.

Posted by: ahwyatt | September 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse "

What are you talking about and where is that talk coming from on your body? If you paid attention, someone was commenting that I made "classy" statement, until I gave examples on what being classy is really about.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

It's actually pretty funny when you think about it. An NBA player with only a high school education goes to the negotiating table with team reps that are hired to look after the best interests of the team/franchise first. Said player sees the pay increase and signs. People who have gone to the negotiating table with lesser stakes for lower profile jobs have brought counsel. Let's hope AB does not regret this move later, like how he regretted his first contract after getting arrested for soliciting prostitution.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I hope AB is not comparing his situation to Ray Allen or Gilby, who went to the negotiating table without reps because they knew they were asking for max money.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I know AB is giddy, but I think BTH's contract is still bigger.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 11:19 AM

I also think it's naive of you to imply that he never discussed numbers with his former agent while that agent was still employed by him or that his former agent didn't provide at least partially the framework for this extension. Again, did Blatche tell you that?

WRT Haywood's contract, it is bigger because 1) he's a legitimate center, 2) his body of work is bigger than Blatche's and 3) he was an unrestricted free agent and therefore had leverage.

Go away, troll.

Posted by: ahwyatt | September 26, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Considering Ernie G's man crush on Blatche, I wouldn't be surprised if this contract gets reworked in the future.

Especially if AB were able to play in an all-star game in a few years.

Posted by: elfreako | September 26, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I think this is a good deal for the Wizards. I hope it's a good one for AB too. I do wonder if it's smart of him to entrust a deal of this nature to an hourly worker. I guess NBA contracts being guaranteed, there's probably not much lost in not getting a real agent. If it were NFL with their salary cap games, this would have been a really bad decision on his part.

Posted by: tundey | September 26, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Am I missing something? So far I can't recall a convincing explanation of just how Blatche got the short end of this deal. Just an assumption that a deal done without an agent is inferior, and he would have done better on the open market. We have to prove that point. Otherwise it's just opinion, and you know what they say about those.

He's saving 15% on an agent. Plus he might actually want to stay in Washington and play with John Wall. I mean, he's still the only inside scoring option, right? Who else will get the points?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Blatche had an attorney vet the contract. What he did without was Jerry McGuire. The overpaid professional BS artist.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 25, 2010 10:48 PM

Risk versus reward, my man, risk versus reward.

If Blatche were an unrestricted free agent, his 32-game outburst (diminished by his incosistent past) MIGHT have been enticing enough for some team to offer him $50 million over 5 years or about $10 million per year. The Wiz gave him approx. $9.5 million per year as a guy who wasn't even an unrestricted free agent. Blatche's mother should be proud of her son.

Posted by: and_1 | September 26, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | September 26, 2010 12:11 PM

Hourly worker? Lol. It's not like he hired the fries cook at Denny's.

Posted by: and_1 | September 26, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 12:25 AM
.......................................

Ask Joe Alexander or DJ Strawberry about the worth of these pre-draft camps, workouts, and drills, both scored "off the charts" only to bounce around the bubble of the NBA, finally coming back to play for scraps. One might even call references to pre-draft camps "suitable subject for mockery"

NBAdraft.net put it best when they wrote:

the deal that sent the 30th and 35th picks to Minnesota for No. 23 was a stretch. Booker does fit this team's needs though

Booker fits a need, but he will not have been worth two picks. Booker will have to be hands-down superior to every player taken after him in-order for this "stretch" to have been worth giving-up a second opportunity to find a player. I just hope that he can transition to being a 3, that didn't workout with McGuire.

Posted by: closg | September 26, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

closg:

Let me guess: Nbadraft.net said it best because you agree with their assessment of the Wizards moving up to grab Booker?

Booker might be worth two picks given the failure rate of picks taken in that area of the draft. It's premature to say he wasn't worth two picks when neither he nor the players drafted after him have played a single minute of regulation (i.e., structured) NBA basketball.

Btw, nbadraft.net liked Alexander when he was drafted and gave Milwaukee an A- for their draft. How'd that work out?

Posted by: ArmChairQB | September 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

ArmChair

Draft.net made the correct assessment IMO, there simply was no basis for panicking and using two picks to get Booker given where he was project to be selected.

Re: Alexander

Posted by: closg | September 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Booker was a late riser in what exactly, a late-riser on someones list of prospects perhaps? posted by closg"

Yep. The story is the Wizards felt they had to trade up because he wouldn't be there at 30. Not sure which other club was interested in him, but by draft time, rumors were flying.

It was an odd draft, with publicized big men like Alabi and Hassan Whiteside falling into the second round. Not as surprising as DeJuan Blair, but definitely unexpected. I thought the Wiz might have taken one of them, given their weakness inside. But once they'd take Seraphin, maybe not. Alabi's fall turned out to be related to his hepatitis. I'm not sure why Whiteside dropped.

The big draft websites have their flaws when it comes to evaluating players. Can't blame them entirely; there are too many to follow. NBAdraft.net in particular is known for overrating European players.

I'm pretty confident that NBA GMs don't consult these sites prior to selecting players. The NBA draft sites aren't as bad as puff adders like Clark Francis of HoopScoop (I think that's the name -- check out the article in SI this week) but they're still nothing to rely on.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: closg | September 26, 2010 3:40 PM

Are you saying nobody else was interested in drafting Booker before the 30th pick? That's the only way you could categorize it as a panic move.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | September 26, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"Draft.net made the correct assessment IMO" posted by closg

Well, everybody's entitled to an opinion.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmChairQB | September 26, 2010 4:04 PM |

IIRC from reading this blog, the Wizards entered draft-night targeting 3 players: Kevin Seraphin, Quincy Pondexter, and Trevor Booker. Seraphin they were able to get. Minny surprised by taking Booker, and Pondexter was selected shortly there-after - THAT's when Ernie offered-up 30 & 35 for Booker, that was the panic IMO. Why-not look at your draft-board and see who's available at 30 & 35? Booker is going to be that-much better than all of the guys taken after him?

Posted by: closg | September 26, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"I was responding to Samson's dismissal of the use of pre-draft rankings/mocks. He pointed to the pre-draft camps to justify using two picks on Booker. Joe Alexander was selected where is was largely due to how athletic he was during the measurements, imagine if some team had used two draft picks to get him.Posted by: closg"

Actually, that's not what I did. I just pointed out that Booker rose late based on some unexpected speed numbers at the Combine. It was Ndiaye who rose late based on his performance at a camp.

Drafting somebody on the basis of workout numbers is inherently risky -- you could end up with a Joe Alexander. Fortunately, Booker was a senior, more of a known quantity.

Will he be a hit or a miss, or somewhere in between? Too early for me to tell. You, either.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"Why-not look at your draft-board and see who's available at 30 & 35? Booker is going to be that-much better than all of the guys taken after him?Posted by: closg"

I think that you place more value on a second round pick than Grunfeld does. I'm not sure where I stand on that. He sold one outright last season. Certainly there are relatively few success stories among second rounders in recent years. Funny thing is that Arenas and Blatche are two of them. But Arenas was somebody else's selection, while Andray was a high schooler. Slightly different situation.

Back when we were looking at the 30th pick, my preferences (like a lot of others here) would have been Pondexter or Gani Lawal. Lunch-pail types. I certainly wouldn't have expected either to become an NBA star. To me, the 30th pick is a glorified second-rounder. Anything valuable that comes that late has to be considered good fortune. The crop's been pretty well picked over by then.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 26, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"I've read nothing to support your statement that Blatche did not talk to anyone to determine his market value. Did Blatche tell you that?

Go away, troll.

Posted by: ahwyatt | September 26, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse "

You clearly are a moron.

You are naive to think that AB spoke to anyone about his market value. Did AB tell you personally that he did?

I'm sure if AB's former agent provided him with a market analysis report for his services, and then AB fired him and used that information for his negotiations, there should be a lawsuit pending.

AB has a track record with the team of being a lazy, immature, and unpredictable loose cannon, a step below Gilby in being a loose cannon.

What is BTH's body of work? Get real.

Take some of your own advice and go back into your hole, ugly troll.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Booker was drafted because his floor is relatively high rather than what on his ceiling may be.

On draft day, management already had AB slated at PF for the long term. If Booker (rather than Lawal or someone else) is the guy they are positive can come in and play D, rebound, and hustle then it makes sense to move up for him. They see him as a sure thing for the role that needs filling.

Much to the chagrin of some fans, Ted saying "build through the draft" did not mean start from scratch. Extending AB and picking up JM's 4th year clearly indicate in what direction Ted sees the team going.

That makes Seraphin and Booker supplementary players (at least for now) rather than the new guard many disgruntled fans were looking for out of this draft.

Posted by: divi3 | September 26, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

"AB COULD have been locked in that same contract for two more years. So he really didn't have leverage at all. So 88's "open market" talk is stupid. As usual.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse "

You are so stupid that it is sad. I feel sorry for your family.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse "

You are so stupid that it is sad. I feel sorry for your family.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 26, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Basically he got more money now for his 32 games last season inistead of possibly blowing it.

Clown.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 26, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I'd say that this is pretty accurate. At least from my disgruntled perspective. Some of us were hoping for a little more shrewdness from the new owner, and less of the gambling that has resulted in bloated contracts. It wouldn't have been reasonable for the Wizards to wait until after the new CBA, but they had every right to start the season without making a decision about Blatche.

And I'd like to point out that this isn't an extension, but appeasement. Nobody restructures contracts because for every NBA player considered underpaid, there are dozens being overpaid. That's the nature of guaranteed contracts. There is also the problem of borrowing from the future. Restructuring hides the value of the contract. Blatche already considers this a $7 mil/yr deal.

Posted by: djnnnou | September 26, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

"It wouldn't have been reasonable for the Wizards to wait until after the new CBA, but they had every right to start the season without making a decision about Blatche."

Posted by: djnnnou | September 26, 2010 11:09 PM

They may not have had that option. There are deadlines for signing extensions and picking up options, so I presume there's one for renegotiating deals. It may have been they had to get it done before the season started. Even if not, they may have been worried that if they'd sat on it until the season started that they wouldn't have had enough time to hammer out a deal before the deadline came up. And with the possibility that a lockout could wipe out most or all of the 2011-12 season, the Wiz may have looked at it like a choice between getting it done now or risking not having another shot at it until Blatche was an UFA.

If the Wiz brass have faith that last season was an early look at the rest of Blatche's career, then there's some justification in their wanting to get it done now (although, as long as the new CBA still had the provision that gives incumbent teams the ability to give their own UFA's bigger annual raises and thus pay them more than any team trying to poach them, the Wiz would still have a financial advantage). But, as someone who doesn't necessarily share that faith, this seems like a very risky move, along similar lines as the ones they took when they matched Thomas's offer sheet or re-signed Jamison and Arenas.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 27, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

"this seems like a very risky move, along similar lines as the ones they took when they matched Thomas's offer sheet or re-signed Jamison and Arenas.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 27, 2010 12:24 AM"

Gil's deal was for $111million!

AJ signed a 4yr/$50mill extension at age 32. AB will be 29 when this deal ends.

As for Etan, there's really no comparison between he and Blatche as players. Apples and Oranges. But as bad as that contract was, it was pretty close to market value at the time (Adonal Foyle, Brian Cardinal, Marc Blount all signed similar deals).

Posted by: divi3 | September 27, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Dunno if it happened in this case, but the usual reason for firing your agent is a serious disagreement. Might have been that Blatche's agent was determined to test the market and Andray didn't want to. And concluded that whatever he might have gained in extra $$ on the open market would be largely offset by what he'd save in agent fees if he signed now.

In gross dollars, he saved around a million a year.

One reason contracts grow to such size is because so there are so many folks who wind up taking a piece out of them. It's not unheard of for the agent's percentage to increase based on the size of the eventual deal -- an incentive plan for the weasel, so to speak. And the bigger the final number, the more the agent gets to ballyhoo to his future clients -- look at what I'll get for you, if you hire me. Not bringing up the subject of how much the player actually gets to keep.

It's also true that Leonsis is an experienced sports owner who is smart enough to recognize a player he can develop and work with when he sees one. If he has a good season, Blatche might be standing next to Wall in the team's advertising campaign.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 27, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm kind of shocked by this extension for AB. Shocked primarily because I find it pretty reasonable on all sides. AB gets an early bump and a little more security based on his production from last year and from his dedication (if the stories are correct) from this summer.

At the same time, if he doesn't fully deliver on the promise from the end of last season, it's not the worst contract in the world for the Wizards, even if the league ends up switching to a hard cap.

I don't know if I'd call it "noble" like Larry, but it seems like a good deal for both sides.

And Larry, I too find it strange that you still seem to have issues with the Wiz when they finally do 'negotiate' with their players and show them a little love, which you have been calling for for awhile.

Posted by: ts35 | September 27, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I cant understand how anyone feels there is some major risk in extending AB. If Zach Randolph's deal can be moved around the league, the Wizards will never have any difficulty moving Blatche if it ever came to that.

In 2yrs he'll be a 26yr old, 6'11" PF with all the skills you could ask for and a $22mill 3yr contract. GMs can move deals like that in their sleep, there is ALWAYS a market for skilled bigs.

Posted by: divi3 | September 27, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I don't get it.
There isn't really a downside to this story...but leave it to the guy who says we don't value our players or treat them right...to complain when a player is given some good faith money when they don't even have to do it.

Some people just WANT to complain.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 27, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think he did well. The 10 million plus contracts are over unless you are a super star. If you look at the contracts current players signed this off season he is where he should be. Plus the agent does not have his hand in his pocket.

Posted by: k141 | September 27, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"Gil's deal was for $111million!"

Which might matter if I was actually comparing them in terms of dollar amount.

They're similar in that they're both deals in which the team gambled on uncertain future results. And if you're going to bring "market value" into it . . . Arenas' deal was closer to market value for a player with his career numbers than Blatche's 3 yr./$28 mill extension is for a player with his.

Is it a terrible deal from a bottom line standpoint? No. But just because they might be able to move him in a couple years if he doesn't pan out doesn't automatically make it a good deal either. They basically paid extra to buy something they already owned.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 27, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Possibly, but when you look at some of the deals handed out to players this summer, this deal looks (and to me actually is) pretty reasonable.

The one area of concern for me with (which gets back to your comparison to Gil) is whatever degree of uncertainty there is in AB's foot injury. Much like Gil's knee, if it doesn't heal properly the first time, it's a problem that could linger.

Posted by: ts35 | September 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"And you're stupid if you can't see that someone who is UNDERPAID and can't become a free agent for 2 years with an uncertain CBA is more willing to take more money now and cash in on 32 games before finding a way to screw it up or get injured.

Clown.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 26, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse "

Max out your one brain cell and tell everyone how AB is "underpaid." I dare you.

AB had a few decent games last season leading up to a lottery trip. Big F'n deal.

Why don't you give AB your life's savings if you feel sorry for him. Maybe he can use that to buy himself a burger.

@ssclown.