"Eager, pumped and ready" Wizards get down to business -- with iPads

It's real now. (Photo by John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

You already know plenty about the Wizards' Midnight Tip-off activities, but there was another practice on Tuesday, with about 3,500 fewer fans and no NBATV cameras in attendance. Coach Flip Saunders spent the first real practice of training camp -- the late-night practice was more of a scrimmage than anything else -- working on fundamentals and going over skeleton plays. He has said the motto for this season is, "Back to Basics."

The Wizards only have four players who were in training camp with the team last season -- Gilbert Arenas, Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee and Nick Young -- and Sanders and his players said there was a different tone than in past years. There is more hunger, which Young said was proven by the players' desire to start practicing at the first available time.

"Everybody was eager, pumped and ready," Young said. "We were here early and excited. People coming back from summer time mostly dreading it, like, 'I wish I had a longer summer.' But everybody came ready to play."

From iPods to iPads
Saunders made waves during training camp last summer, when he gave his players iPod Touches with videos and diagrams of his playbook. This year, Saunders has decided to upgrade, by providing iPads, which will give him the potential to send his players more scouting videos and his entire 250-page playbook. The iPads run at about $500 each, but Saunders said it was worth the investment.

"It's not a matter of expense, it's a matter of being a great learning tool," Saunders said. "There are a lot of things you are able to do with it, with the video playbook, the edits that you can do. We don't have to give out the playbook. Last year, our playbook was so big, it cost $175 to print them up. So, I think it's very useful for them. We're able to now, send them video, from edits, and they can watch it from their rooms. So we can do a lot more things with it."

Andray Blatche said his only problem with the iPad is that he had just bought one.

"And I end up getting one. I like, 'What the...' ," Blatche said, shaking his head. But he should be okay after his new extension. "It's just like last year, but with the iPad, it's got our plays."

Kirk Hinrich has been in the league for seven seasons, but said he had never been presented anything close to the iPads in his time with the Chicago Bulls. "It's cool, man," he said. "Definitely a way that I've never had before. I'm used to looking at the old team handbook."

I'll be out there shortly. (Photo by John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Andray Blatche, Josh Howard held out
Blatche sat out of the midnight scrimmage and part of the first official practice as the Wizards ease him along with his broken right foot. "This is the most difficult time for me," Blatche said. "Not being able to scrimmage, just watching them play. But I'm going to continue to work, take my time. Try to get my conditioning in shape."

Blatche has yet to take Saunders's conditioning test, but he said he would at some time before the season begins. "It was a team requirement. And I'm going to take the test," he said.

Although he has been able to go full bore, Blatche participated in some of the running drills. He even beat his teammates down the court during a sprint. "I got to lead by example," he said. "Got to let them know that even though I'm hurt, you still got to go hard. There's no excuses in this league."

Howard was limited to riding a stationary bike during most of the midnight scrimmage, but it is obvious that he is progressing. Six months since his left knee surgery, Howard is moving around freely without a limp and he looked fine as he shot stand-still jumpers after practice. He is making progress, but the team will be extremely cautious with him.

Gilbert Arenas still a shoe free agent
Arenas was dropped from his long-time shoe company, adidas, immediately after he pleaded guilty to felony gun possession last January. He has been wearing Nikes during practice, including a pair of Penny Hardaway "Half-Penny" shoes for media day, but a Nike spokesman said on Tuesday that he has not signed a new deal with the company.

More talent?
I've got a crazy stat for you. The Wizards are considered less talented than they were last year, when they had a roster full of veterans and three players with all-star credentials. This year, the Wizards have two players who have made all-star appearances, in Gilbert Arenas and Josh Howard.

But check this out. The Wizards actually have more former lottery picks on their training roster this season than last season. Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, Mike Miller and Randy Foye were the only lottery picks in training camp then, while the current team has six former lottery picks -- John Wall (No. 1), Adam Morrison (No. 3, 2006), Kirk Hinrich (No. 6, 2003), Yi Jianlian (No. 6, 2007), Hilton Armstrong (No. 12, 2006) and Al Thornton (No. 14, 2007).

Nick Young: Kevin Seraphin is strong
While Young was talking to reporters, rookie Kevin Seraphin was playfully tossing the ball underhanded at Young. Seraphin missed the first time, but he tried again and nailed Young in the back.

"I never let a rook do that. You see that?" Young said. "Back in my day, if I did that, it would've been over."

When a reporter reminded Young that, even though he put on 10 pounds of muscle, the 6-foot-9, 275-pound Seraphin was still a lot bigger than him. Young turned back, looked a giggling Seraphin and said, "And stronger."

Mardy Collins off the roster
Mardy Collins was forced to miss Wizards training camp after suffering a calf injury. With the Wizards already stacked in the backcourt, Collins was already a long shot to make the team, but the four-year veteran guard had no shot if he was hurt. As Saunders put it, "Tough to make a team in the tub."

The Wizards have no plans of filling his roster spot with a replacement.

New practice jerseys
I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I did notice that the Wizards have new practice jerseys, where the name "Wizards" is nowhere to be found. The black side of the practice jerseys simply say "Washington Basketball," while the white side has the Wizards' "W" logo. With the team possibly switching the team colors to red, white and blue in 2011-12, it caught my attention.

By Michael Lee  | September 28, 2010; 8:31 PM ET
Categories:  Andray Blatche, Flip Saunders, Gilbert Arenas, Hilton Armstrong, JaVale McGee, John Wall, Josh Howard, Kevin Seraphin, Kirk Hinrich, Nick Young, Yi Jianlian, training camp/preseason  | Tags:  Midnight Tip-off, Washington Wizards, iPad playbook, training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The story behind Gilbert Arenas's beard, and the full Media Day rundown
Next: Flip Saunders ready to zone out

Comments

Well let's see if the walk backs up the talk with Dray. Hope so, I am tired of people always going negative on him. And, I think if Nick Young can get some consistent minutes he will produce.

Posted by: h20law2000 | September 28, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Here's more info on the Blatche extension from John Hollinger:

'Gave Andray Blatche three-year, $28 million extension. The Wizards used a neat trick to renegotiate Blatche's deal, giving him a short-term raise on his existing deal (allowable because they're under the cap) and adding three years at reasonable dollars for his production ($7.1 million, $7.7 million and $8.4 million).

The key here is that the Wizards weren't going to be able to extend Blatche the so-called normal way in another year, because his maximum allowable raise on an extension would have been less than his market value. So he would have been an unrestricted free agent in 2012 no matter what, which is a difficult risk to manage. By giving him some of that money in an up-front raise, Washington could lock him up at a decent price for the final three years. (I indicated $28 million as the value of the extension because that's the total additional money, but over the final three years he'll make $23 million.)'

I really hope Wall and Blatche develop a nice chemistry. I could see them as one of the elite PG/PF duos in the Assocation one day soon.

Posted by: elfreako | September 28, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or do NY's quotes sound more put together and thought out?

Posted by: elfreako | September 29, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

So the Magic are saying that Rashard Lewis is going back to his natural SF spot and Brandon Bass will get a shot at the 4, next to Dwight Howard, with Marcin Gortat getting some minutes there as well. I wondered at how Bass was used last season -- seemed like they wasted him.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 29, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or do NY's quotes sound more put together and thought out?

Posted by: elfreako | September 29, 2010 12:03 AM

He's still too happy for Flip's liking. NY is going have to go all sourpuss if he wants to see the floor, not sure he can do it, dude is all smiles

Posted by: divi3 | September 29, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Larry the Cable Guy has made a living off of his catch phrase "Git er' Done". Blatche's contract extension is a good example of a "Git er' done" moment. Smart deal from both points of view,even if Blatche doesn't exceed his 14 pt 6 rebounds from last year it's not an over valued contract.

Never a good idea to have one of your key employees grossly underpaid. They start to spend more time looking at greener pastures then concentrating on their job. Next thing you know, everybody else sees how unhappy they are and start going through the motions too. No use in making the Wizards into the "Clippers of the East" where there's always a revolving door cause guys can't wait to get to leave.

Smart move by Leonsis to approve Ernie redoing the deal, Andray lost any small amount of leverage he might of had the summer of his Restricted Free Agency by blundering into a police sting operation while cruising for a "lady". Restructuring gives Blatche a contract more in line with what his production is now, and lets him know he's valued by the new ownership.

Also gives him some security of a longer term deal going into a potential lockout. If Blatche keeps producing at any where near his pace that he established after the deadline deals, it's either an undervalued deal or one that's more in line with present economics, but it's one he negotiated and signed.

Seraphin is the guy that I'm really waiting to see in preseason action, he sure doesn't appear to be a guy that's going to get pushed around in the lane a lot. Center is the Wizard's position of real need, and they really need Seraphin to be NBA ready in order to have any depth.

Yi and McGee sure look like basketball players, tall, athletic, quick, can jump like cats, and they seem to have decent shot mechanics and ball skills. Up to now they've never really put it together on the court over the long haul. Lots of flashes of talent surrounded by poor play. If either or both of these guys play to their potential the Wizards could really be a surprise team.

Put one of those 70's throw back uni's with the strip down the side of the jersey and into the shorts on Gil, and I swear he'd look just like Archie Clark with that beard. Shake N Bake Chicken was all the rage back then so somebody hung the name "Shake N Bake" on Archie when he was with Philly. He had that classic stutter step move that eventually got to be known on the playgrounds as a "Shake N Bake" move.

I just hope Gil gets through this opening round with the media and then settles in with the team. He's really going to be this team's primary scorer this season, it's a different role for Gil because he's played with combo guards before, but never one with Wall's talent as a playmaker.

Body language says a lot, Gil really seems comfortable around Wall. The only time he seems uncomfortable is around the Media. Every time he gives an interview he seems like a guy that's looking for a bus out of the corner of his eye.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 29, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

someone tell Mike Lee it's Saunders (second paragraph, first sentence) i know you're in preseason form Mike but it's the attention to detail that make you great, you know the little things.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 29, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Dude...it's an online blog...of this was going to print or used as an actual article, then it would be fixed...

Posted by: merajc86 | September 29, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: merajc86 | September 29, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Clearly a joke, but at the same time I dunno how many time's Michael Lee's name has been misspelled in the WaPo's web edition.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Here's more info on the Blatche extension from John Hollinger...Posted by: elfreako

This makes the deal a lot more understandable. Thanks for putting it up.

Posted by: djnnnou | September 29, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: merajc86 | September 29, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

so should i give him a pass for incorrectly identifying Gil's shoes as the Nike Air Penny Half Cent, when he's not wearing those shoes at all. Like I said attention to detail.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 29, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Man it was great watching the Midnight Madness!

Gil really looks good!

I really like what Hinrich brings to the team also. I don't like the idea I keep hearing of playing him at SF, but I really like him in the old Antonio Daniels role of 3rd G, 1st guy off the bench, good in crunchtime.

I think Howard is gonna be really good for this team when he gets back.

Seraphin looks good.. not as big as I thought, I don't see him as a center, but is certainly a legit PF.

I thought Yi looked good too, and looked to be spending most of his time down low posting up.

I can see the rotation among the C/PF spots working down to Blatche, McGee, Yi, and Seraphin. I think Blatche will end up at Center alot, which is fine with me especially if he's got a legit "banger" who does the dirty work at PF next to him. I can see Yi some at C if he's playing with Seraphin or Blatche. But I expect McGee and Blatche to start, with Blatche moving to C when McGee comes out and Seraphin or Yi come in the game.

SF I expect Thornton to fill the bill with his solid all around game. Howard will bring a much needed boost here though when he comes back. I also like Booker here off the bench. He looked good at the Madness, and he's more skilled and versatile than people seem to recognize. I like the defense on opposing SFs too with the size and physicality of Thornton and Booker and the speed of Howard.

And man can we throw some talent at SGs with Arenas, Hinrich, Young and Howard.

McGee, Blatche, Yi, Seraphin, Thornton, Booker, Howard, Young, Arenas, Hinrich, Wall is a good 11 and generally run 9 a game depending on whats needed (Booker or Young for example, Yi or Seraphin..)

Posted by: Darnell1 | September 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Don't read anything into that "WASHINGTON" practice jersey. All NBA teams' practice jerseys bear the team's city name this year. Either that, or the Charlotte Bobcats are about to be renamed the Hornets.

Posted by: sasrza | September 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Wizards Faithful,

I submit the following as proof that things are going well in the first training camp of the Ernest Grunfeld Era:

1) Wall and Arenas are clearly developing a bond and there appears to be no struggle to determine who is the alpha male. Granted, the "bullets" (forgive me) haven't started flying yet, but it's a positive sign.

2) Blatche is showing leadership by his actions and is not using his newly healed foot as an excuse for not giving effort. He's ready to take the next step up the ladder of leadership and stardom!
To wit: When was the last time we heard about Blatche finishing first in a conditioning drill?

3) Seraphin, according to my contacts at NoVa hospitals, has shown restraint and has not knocked any of his teammates into the middle of next week! Opponents, however, will be extended no such measured consideration.

The Wizards Bandwagon appears to be gaining more passengers by the day. Haters: Getting a little lonely, aren't you?

In Grunfeld We Trust!!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | September 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Last year, Saunders felt that some veterans reported to camp in not the best condition and it affected the team's performance early on. I am guessing the vets he was talking about are no longer on the team. This season Saunder says, conditioning will not be an issue. "I am anxious to see how the team responds to these practices, they will be very grueling.""

Gotta be in shape to be a run and gun team.

Posted by: artiesliver | September 29, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

In Grunfeld We Trust!!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | September 29, 2010 11:50 AM

LMAO! ur corny.

Evaluate Les BouleS/EG at the end of the season and not rofl wind sprints on the 1st day of training camp.

the current team has six former lottery picks -- John Wall (No. 1), Adam Morrison (No. 3, 2006), Kirk Hinrich (No. 6, 2003), Yi Jianlian (No. 6, 2007), Hilton Armstrong (No. 12, 2006) and Al Thornton (No. 14, 2007.

Yes, after getting seduced by the JWoww hype machine, EG decided to spend his summer stacking other ppl's washed-up/injured lottery picks to replace the washed-up/injured lottery picks who won us 26 games. With defensive studs like Marriott Armstrong and Adam rofl Morrison on the front line, I predict Les Boules finish 4th in the East.

Posted by: prescrunk | September 29, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

btw where DC_Man88 at? need u on quality control GUY

Posted by: prescrunk | September 29, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Archie Clark?

GM, I was gonna go with Grady from Sanford and Son.

Posted by: original_mark | September 29, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing the vets he was talking about are no longer on the team.

Wrong. Let's not get all revisionist here. Foye, DeShawn, Oberto, Gil, and Blatche all qualify. Mostly due to prior injuries/health problems. Blatche reported to camp in better shape than usual, but one of the reasons Oberto got his starts was because AB was getting gassed by the 4th.

Posted by: djnnnou | September 29, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

In Grunfeld We Trust Not...
corny?

Posted by: jiji1 | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@prescrunk (DC_MAN88),

I see our dimwitted, snaggletooth, pinhead version of Cris Berman is back! What up, CB lite?! Still no luck on getting that dental plan, huh? You know, your mother really should have hugged you when you were a child because as it stands, the only way you can get attention is by blogging on a site geared toward a team you clearly don't like. How sad! By the way, I guess you would know a thing or two about "corny" given your predisposition toward the ad nauseam generation of goofy nicknames for athletes (Gilby, MeTawn, JaTravel). LYAO now?? ROTFL!

I'll start saving my evaluations of EG and the Wizards until the end of the year when you do the same!

Good Day, you miserable cretin-that-mom-forgot.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv

Damn, how many years ago was that? Let it rest. That has nothing to do with now.

You want it one way, but it's the other way.

Blatche and Gil ain't the only people who need to grow up.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Also just to mention cause no one else has but watching the Madness scrimmage, that guy Palmer actually looked good, although he seemingly has no chance to make the team.

Personally, I really want Hamady Ndiaye to make the team. I like what I see in him, and we need someone with legit size to play center and defend, and he has that. He reminds me of Dikembe Mutombo, and I think 4 yrs at Rutgers & earning Big East DPOY he is more ready than everyone seems to think to contribute. Just as a big to bring in and give some fouls if nothing else. Play him at Dleague if he cant get any court time. But I think he immediately provides something to this team that we need and lack, and he has the upside to get better. He is a physical player who will defend and contest shots down low, and has more size than Serafin or Booker, and still has the ability to run and get up and down with our uptempo style. If we have to go to 15 man roster so be it. I think keeping this guy is worth it and a fine use for that final spot!

The other guy I like is Hudson. As far as Morrison vs Martin at this point at least I go Martin. But I would keep Ndiaye and Hudson over either of them. Hudson with his hard nose play, defense and ability to hit the 3 are needed assets at the end of the bench.

I think if the keep Ndiaye, Hudson and Martin that would be 15, that's what I'm hoping they do, at least at this point. I would however also keep my eyes on other teams cuts to see if there's anyone I'd rather pick up than Martin.

Also does anyone know what happened to Oberto?

Posted by: Darnell1 | September 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I expect a starting 5 of Wall, Arenas, Thornton, Blatche, McGee with top reserves Yi, Seraphin, Howard, Hinrich.

Booker and Young would be specialty defense/offense subs added to this mix.

I see rest of bench made up of Ndiaye, Armstrong, Martin, Hudson.

Posted by: Darnell1 | September 29, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

O-Mark,
Gil's isn't all salt and peppered like Grady's yet. At least you didn't say he looked like Sanford, AKA Red Foxx...

Thorton is a guy that had really gotten out of shape from his college days. He looked 20-40 lbs. heavier from his GT days when he got here last year. I hear he looked lean and mean and chiseled to start camp. He's a guy that could really be a big contributor this year. The guy has a lot of talent, he burst into the league starting as a rookie and was putting up good numbers, then he started to slide.

The Clippers gave him away to the Wiz for next to nothing, so like a lot of these other young guys, Ernie's gotten him on the cheap. Just remains to be seen if Flip can find a way, or ways, to bring out all of the young talent on this roster.

I'm not real high on the idea of playing Hinrich at small forward in a 3 gaurd set. Just brings back visions of Eddie Jordan and his Small Ball. Besides with Nick Young battling for minutes and Howard in the 2-3 mix there are a lot of guys trying to get minutes at the 3. Besides Hinrich will be the primary B/U at the point too. And Flip should be pacing Wall's minutes.

And I really think Booker's got the ability to play some 3 too. If he proves quick enough and skilled enough to guard 3's in space, then he'll be able to eat most 3's alive by posting them up.

Darnell,
How did Morrison look? I mean besides the bad haircut, that's a given. Did he show any of the scoring ability that he had in college? Morrison always had a rep as a really hard worker, I wonder what he's done in the last few years. Has he kept working on his game? Or was he just hanging out on the Lakers' bench.

There is a lack of 3 point shooters on this team. So there's a chance for a guy like Martin, Hudson, or Morrison to find a role as a shooter of the bench...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 29, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Looked at the pics up on the Wizards website about this mornings practice. Am I the only one who thinks their practice unis look better than the real ones??

Looked like Gil and Wall were running on the same team mostly today. Looks like Blatche is starting to get out there also.

Posted by: Darnell1 | September 29, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | September 29, 2010 3:54 PM

I'm afraid the reason CMartin cant catch on to a team and Morrison has spent years riding the pine is precisely because neither can consistently hit 3s. Was surprised to read Morrison was not that much a 3pt guy in college. The year AM led the nation in scoring, Reddick led in 3pt'ers made....Morrison was 116th! I'd bet CMartin was even less a shooter

Posted by: divi3 | September 29, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv | September 29, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

How much heavier is that than his Florida State days?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 29, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: melodious_thunk | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM

hey Our Time, lay off that wet stick, you're embarrassing yourself.

What is sad is that the following are facts:
--The team that EG built to "win now" won 26 games. OUR TIME!
--EG did not sign a legitimate starting C, again.
--EG did nothing to improve the D, again.
--The official motto of the 2010-11 Les BouleS season is "Back to Basics".

What is sadder is that you are so hopelessly bewildered (a lot like Les BouleS) to realize that this team is Secaucus bound, again, in another year EG will be unemployment line bound, again, and the team will look totally different, again.

things are going well in the first training camp of the Ernest Grunfeld Era
Posted by: melodious_thunk | September 29, 2010 11:50 AM

are u serious clown?! LMAO!!!!

Posted by: prescrunk | September 29, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt Grunfeld is going to fired next year.
I agree that the Wiz don't appear to have the pieces for a playoff run though.

Posted by: gimmedat | September 29, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: melodious_thunk

As you say, the bullets aren't flying yet. The first time Flip puts the ball in Wall's hands to close out a regular season game, or something along those lines, will be a more realistic test of the 'relationship'. Gil has always been able to channel criticism into motivation to prove doubters wrong. I'm hoping he does it in a positive way for the team, rather than just trying to put up ridiculous numbers.

Heck, I was just trying to remember the last time even finished a conditioning test, let alone first ;-)

Size (bulk) and strength he seems to have in ample qualities. Now let's see if he can play.

Not hatin' on these Wiz, just intrigued and waiting for the regular season to begin so we can see what we've got.

Posted by: ts35 | September 29, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"What is sad is that the following are facts:

--The team that EG built to "win now" won 26 games. OUR TIME!"

Wrong. The team built to "win now" wasn't in place for the whole season. So technically they won less than that. Get your facts straight, trollboy.

"--EG signed 5 former lottery picks this summer, two of whom were out of basketball, one whom he was paid to take for $3M cash, and one $9.5M 30 year-old bench player."

Guess what? Wade, Bosh, James, Boozer and others were "out of basketball" this summer too. LMAO!!

"--EG did not sign a legitimate starting C, again."

What team did sign one?

"--EG did nothing to improve the D, again."

Wrong again. Hinrich is a good defensive player. Wall, Seraphin, Booker and Ndiaye were all known for their defense prior to being drafted.

"--The official motto of the 2010-11 Les BouleS season is "Back to Basics"."

Your motto is "Back to Trolling". Enjoy, donk.

Posted by: ahwyatt | September 29, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet $100 that 1/3 of the team leaves their ipads in a locker room or hotel before preseason is over. Grunfeld will be the GM into the lockout. Ted won't eat that contract.

Posted by: swinging4thefence | September 30, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse