The subdued Gilbert Arenas: "I just want to play"

By Michael Lee  | September 27, 2010; 9:53 PM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flip Saunders addresses media scrutiny of Gilbert Arenas
Next: Wizards wrap up midnight madness

Comments

Puppy-dog face, so sad. Chin-up Gillie.

Posted by: closg | September 27, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Everyone deserves a second chance. Look at what Michael Vick is doing in Philly. Turning his life around and his game up a notch. I hope Gil can look at that, learn from it and embraces the team and the fans will soon embraces him.

Posted by: ttn703 | September 27, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Who is that guy? I miss his smile & fun personality! He seems so serious...which is fine, as long as he is not pouting & feeling sorry for himself, which would not be to mature.

Posted by: sandy649 | September 28, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert is displaying immature behavior. Deep down he feels he is misunderstood and was wronged somehow and so he is being extremely passive-aggressive. He hasn't grown up at all.

He can be serious and focused and still smile for a picture and talk to the media like a grown-up. I really can't stand this guy and hope that he is soon out of Washington. I wish him well...just don't want him on the Wizards.

Posted by: bsp1019 | September 28, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsp1019 | September 28, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Its fans like you that make him react the way that he did! Please get over it and get over yourself! He made a mistake and people like you think that he owes you someting personally! Get a life and try to embrace whats going on here in Washington. Gil is here to stay and if you got a problem with that you can jump on some other team's bandwagon!

Go Wiz!!!

Posted by: myeldell | September 28, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry myelldell, but I dsagree.

It's Gilberts own immaturity that makes him react the way he did. I've been over Gilbert and his antics for a long time now and simply would prefer to see him on another team. We just had our first practice and he has already taken the spotlight from our newest player that everyone is excited about (Wall).

I have no desire to jump on another teams bandwagon as I have been a Wiz/Bullet fan since the Wes Unseld days. I love the Wiz and am excited about everyone on the roster except Gilbert. I think the Wiz would accomplish so much more as a TEAM if he wasn't around. The "Big 3" era is over and Gilbert should have left with it.

I'm excited to see John Wall blossom along with our young core of exciting players (Baltche, McGee, Booker, etc) and I just hate to see pouty, immature Gilbert ruin it.

I agree, GO WIZ!! I just wish you were capable of accepting a fellow Wiz fan that doesn't quite agree with you on everything. We don't have to agree, but personal attacks are not necessary.

Posted by: bsp1019 | September 28, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah you tell em bsp1019. He don't understand your perfect and have never made mistakes in your life. And besides we don't need anyone to score we have Wall. He has proved he can be a clutch shooter. LOL
Some people don't believe in 2nd chances. They would rather Gil hits his shots on us instead of for us. SOME PEOPLE CAN'T SEE THE FOREST THROUGH THE TREES!!!!!!!!!!!! Wipe the hate from your eyes.

Posted by: wizravterp | September 28, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

wizravterp, you guys crack me up.

I don't understand why I have to "get over myself" and "wipe hate from my eyes." I'm simply expressing an opinion on a player on my favorite team. Have you never expressed an opinion (for OR against) about a player on your favorite teams?

I think Gil has had plenty of chances to prove his worth and ability to this team. I just think it's time for him to move on and for the Wiz to pursue a whole new direction with Wall and the youngsters. What is wrong with that?

Yes, there will be growing pains but that's what rebuilding is all about. I would be willing to bet that if Gil's contract wasn't so large, he would be gone.

I can see the forest (the teams future) and it is a lot bigger than one tree (gilbert). I think you are the one that needs to wipe the blinding "gilbert love" from your eyes.

Posted by: bsp1019 | September 28, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

It's not a Gilbert love. It's having basketball sense to know what it takes to win in this league. This is the hardest working man in basketball. Nobody is in the gym before or after. He has shown countless tmes that he is possibly the best clutch shooter in the league. Whos gonna score for us in the clutch? whos gonna draw attention away from JWall so he isn't doubled every time down. There is a never ending list of reasons to keep Gil here and two to trade him. injury and contract period.

Posted by: wizravterp | September 28, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Ok. Well, that is your opinion and I'm glad you expressed it. That's what this forum is for, right? That's all I was doing. I can see your points but I also think back to when we had other veterans around Gilbert and even they had a tendancy to stand around and just watch Gilbert do his thing. I would rather roll with the young guys and not worry as much about winning this season as I would want to see the young core grow and get experience.

And I simply pointed out that I think his attitude is not what this team needs. He may be a hard worker, but his demeanor can be a distraction and is, in my opinion, an attempt to garner attention.

And ther emay be only 2 reasons to trade Gil (although I think there are more), but injury and contract are big reasons. When you pay someone a lot of money but don't get your return in the form of production, that can cripple a team very quickly and hurt them for years to come. That is money that could be used to bring in some solid veteran NBA types that will do the dirty work while Wall, Blatche and the youngsters wow the crowd.

Bottom line - We have differing opinions on how the team should proceed, but I think we can agree that we both want to see the Wiz become champs!!

No hard feelings wizravterp?

Posted by: bsp1019 | September 30, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse