Training camp concerns Part V: Is John Wall ready to lead?

I'll take you there. (Getty Images)

Rookies are rarely given the keys to the franchise immediately, but as it relates to John Wall, the Wizards have handed him the keys, a spare pair of duplicates and the hidden location under the welcome mat in case he misplaces the others. The Wizards want desperately to move beyond the past two years of mediocrity, and since Wall arrived in a stroke of pure luck, he is seen as a turnaround from the misfortune.

That doesn't negate the fact that he's still a year away from being able to legally drink, has yet to play an NBA game and will be asked to carry a heavy load as one of the faces of his franchise and the league. Also, in Flip Saunders's point-guard-centric offense, Wall will be asked to lead.

Having coached two young prodigies early in his career in Minnesota, Saunders sees in Wall some of the best qualities in Kevin Garnett (work ethic and competitive fire) and Stephon Marbury (speed, confidence and fearlessness). Saunders and Wall have already spent some time bonding this summer, with Wall visiting his coach in Minnesota, where they attended a Twins game (Wall got to meet all-star catcher Joe Mauer) and a Vikings practice (Wall helped end practice early when he caught a punt).

Saunders will throw a lot Wall's way to see what he can handle, but Wall has already been asked to do a lot during his one season at Kentucky. But the NBA is completely different from college, where Wall often the best player on the floor and could easily put his stamp on a game. On many nights in the league, that will not be the case, as Wall will have to guard a talented player at his position almost every night -- Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, the list goes on and on -- while deciding which teammates deserve touches.

Wall's speed and competitive nature will help him overcome some of the mistakes he will assuredly make in his first season. And, while he wowed at summer league with his leadership, intangibles and infectious energy, Wall still showed a need to improve his shot and cut down on turnovers, which already has the potential to be a serious problem in the upcoming season.

After the Wizards' elaborate, police escort, red-carpet introduction -- a move owner Ted Leonsis felt could generate some initial buzz for the franchise -- a person close to Wall marveled at the spectacle but noted that high expectations are always greeted with the pressure to meet them.

Wall has been a leader throughout his time in high school and college, but the assignment was easier when he was amongst his peers. He will now have to guide grown men who have more experience in how to handle back-to-back games, idle time and other distractions that come with being in the NBA.

The Wizards have aided Wall by adding Kirk Hinrich and Josh Howard to serve as veteran leaders for the team. Hinrich assisted Rose during Rose's first two seasons in Chicago, and plans on assuming a similar role in Chicago. Howard quickly emerged as the leader of the new-look Wizards in his brief four-game stint, providing a contagious bolt of tenacity and enthusiasm, while making his teammates believe they could win. That's one of the reasons the Wizards wanted to bring him back.

And, for all of his antics, Gilbert Arenas's passion for basketball and willingness to work on his game at any time of the night is legendary. He pushed himself to greatness before with an unwavering work ethic and will to succeed. In that respect, he could also be a positive influence on Wall. Given his body of work, Arenas remains the best player on this team -- but that never equated to him being a leader.

That responsibility has been given to Wall and it will be interesting to see where he takes the franchise.

By Michael Lee  | September 20, 2010; 10:48 AM ET
Categories:  John Wall, Training camp concerns 2010-11
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Training camp concerns Part IV: Who is the answer at small forward?
Next: Training camp concerns Part VI: Can Flip Saunders bring it all together?

Comments

I agree that Arenas is the best player on the roster. Now find a way to trade him. Does Denver need/want him. Let's get Carmello in here if possible!! (I know wishful thinking)..

But herein lies the problem. Gil is and always has been the best player. Now he is the best and highest paid, but not the leader. Not sure how that works and certainly don't blame Gil for robbing the bank.

Hopefully, Gil has a spectacular season, rasies his trade value and we have offers by the trade deadline so the true rebuild can begin.

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

As long as they don't cut off the nose despite the face.

It would nice to get a "Carmello" but don't trade for an over the hill "Mitch Richmond".

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 20, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Let's just see how things go before we trade an All Star
for crumbs

Posted by: grayterrence | September 20, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@kevenjones

Why the insistence to trade Arenas? Please elaborate.

Posted by: spades72 | September 20, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11

At this point Gil *may* be the over-the-hill Mitch Richmond in any deal.

Posted by: ts35 | September 20, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that ts35. And if that were the case, they won't be able to trade Gil.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 20, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Why trade Gil? Did you see what Al Thorton did to Melo last year? You do understand that Melo has true off court issues just not publicized here? KEEP GIL! Please tell me the need or want to trade Gilbert. We'll NEVER get equal value for Gil, he's far too talented. Build around he and wall, we'll have one of the better if not best backcouts in the league.

Posted by: Gooddad | September 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@grayterrence,

We have already seen how things go with him. Again, what we gotta eat the whole cow to know we are eating beef??

I actually like Gil, but looking forward it's way past time for both the organization and Gil to move on. Just can't because of that contract and NOBODY want's Gil with that Cap number, including the Wiz...

Gil needs to be on a veteran team, with a veteran coach where he is in a complilmentary role. So yes you can win with him, just not with him as the feature or franchise player. And I mean truly compete for a championship, not 1 playoff round..

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that ts35. And if that were the case, they won't be able to trade Gil.

Posted by: G-Man11

You never know. I *think* his knee will hold up, but if it doesn't, his play will likely trend downward.

One thing is sure, though. Richmond was acquired as much for his sterling reputation as anything else. That will not be the case with Gil.

Posted by: ts35 | September 20, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Well propose a realistic trade that is win/win for both teams.

Everybody can be traded if the price is right. In my book, if Gil is outgoing and the main thing incoming is cap-space, that is lose/win with washington not on the winning end.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 20, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35

Richmond had an impeccable rep. But in the end, like Day 1 being the end, the Wizards got totally robbed, as that sterling rep was worthless. And like Gil, Webber wasn't a bad guy. He wasn't a bad influence on nobody as a King.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 20, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

It was definitely up there in Abe's worst moves as an owner.

Posted by: ts35 | September 20, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

It was definitely up there in Abe's worst moves as an owner.

Posted by: ts35 | September 20, 2010 1:12 PM

ts35 "beware the truth...."

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | September 20, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 20, 2010 12:55 PM

Exactly!!

It's not like Gilbert is going around knocking people upside their heads and taking their money. At the most the dude is immature and childish but from being a bad person. If Arenas knee is back to being good there is no reason why he shouldn't be on this team. The dude is dedicated and driven to be the best he can be and when healthy he is one of the best.

Posted by: spades72 | September 20, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

ts35 "beware the truth...."

Posted by: yetanotherpassword

Why?

...Because it hurts?
...Because it will set me free?
...Carl "The Truth" Williams?
...Because it is nothing without Justice and The American Way?
...because the truth, the truth, the truth is on fire, we don't need no water, let the....oh no wait, that's not the right lyrics.

Can you be a little more specific?

Posted by: ts35 | September 20, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

What people would say if Gilbert just sit on his butt do not put in the work to get his knee and game to back where it was and just collect $80 millon? There is encouraging signs that the guy wants to compete and win. And that's saying a lot.

Posted by: spades72 | September 20, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Nearly everyone on this team has a chip on their shoulder or something to prove. That's going to create an enormous amount of energy, excitement and pressure right out of the blocks. It's going to take 20-30 games before we see what we've got. Flip has got a huge job in front of him. Patience is key.

Posted by: jweber1 | September 20, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I think Gil is a great guy.Again, I like Gilbert. Not even intersted in talking about the locker room incident. He paid ,and paid dearly for that dumb sh**.

I'm just saying I don't believe his talents match his contract, even before the injury and silly shi*. He is paid in the Kobe bracket and has the type of contract that strangles an organization.

I for one would and I'm sure the organization would trade for a less productive player with a more friendly contract.

We are rebuilding so let's rebuild. But I know Gil is impossible to move so I'm just saying I hope he has the best season of his career so we can move in by Feb..

So let's get it Gil!!

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Trading Arenas has never been an issue but there is no NBA team to take him at this point.I do not even understand why we are bloging about this issue as if the owner decide not to trade hm.
We all know why he is still here, infact it is better for him to improvce his image. The team also will win more games with Arenas.There will be more ticket sell.those off you who are covered with a negative blanket about Arenas will blog some thing positve in few month, all you need is few game changing last minute 3 points from him.

Posted by: gtefferra | September 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

kj

I understand where you coming from regarding Gil's contract. The thing is he is what, 4 years left on the contract? You said Gil ain't worth the average of $20Mil a year. That is Kobe money.

Come February, why would somebody take 3 years or $60Mil of what is left of that contract for a player you say is not worth it, even if he regains Agent0 level? I could understand if he was owed 1 year with $20mil coming off the books. Then somebody would trade for that contract. Hell, at that point, wouldn't be no need for the Wiz to trade him because he would clear off anyway. I just think people are whining/wishful thinking that somebody will take that contract, when in actuality, if he plays well here, he will still be untradeable until he has left years on the contract.

So if Arenas plays well, great for the wizards. If he implodes, too bad for the wizards, and the fans. But he ain't going anywhere for at least 2 seasons.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 20, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@gtefferra,

I hear you. But if he averages a triple double I will feel the same way..

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

KJ

Im still waiting on a rebuilding plan that includes trading Gil.

To just say "rebuild" does not say anything cause the Wizards have been rebuilding since 1978.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 20, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Is John Wall ready to lead?

Is this a roster that will allow it? The roster probably has too many players looking for new deals, and they will be expecting a rookie PG to make them look good. Then you have Arenas, and who really knows what kind of agenda or mindset he will have.

Posted by: djnnnou | September 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree trade Gil for anything!!! We have PLENTY of clutch knock down shooters on our team with the ability to create for themselves, and have a great work ethic.

Posted by: wizravterp | September 20, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"But herein lies the problem. Gil is and always has been the best player."

Not that that means much. If you had a team on which the '09 version of Gil was your best player (or one of your two best players), you had a poor team.

And Washington did.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is one of the best basketball players in the world.

None of you clown's that criticize him can beat him in one-on-one so you might as well chill-out!

I like him and the owner likes him so quit your belly-aching.

I on the other hand am 47 years old; can hoop, run 4-miles for fun and am Blessed with incredible basketball knowledge and fore-sight into the future.

With Gilbert, John Wall and Josh Howard & Co.

No more player-hating Gilbert; you might hurt his feelings. I learned in the Army (the hard way), even drill-sergeants have feelings.

Don't be in-sensitive, let's get together and put our positive energy in motion and help "the Wiz" win some games!

We are a team and as long as Mr.Arenas is on it, negative folk's silly opinions is not helping. We can't win without Gilbert. And besides; without him, John Wall would get mauled.

I love all ya'll! Chef John

Posted by: upscalechef | September 20, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@G-Man11,

I'm afraid you might be right. He may be hard to move regadless but maybe some GM will take a chance if he can be the one that put's them over the hump.

But regardless if at all possible you have to get out from under this contract and to me his contract is a far bigger issue than he actually is at this point.

So I'm not sure how the hell they do it but if I were the GM I would be spending all my time coming u with something. Because in my book everyone but wall is fair game.

If Gil returns to form I'm sure there could be a team that is close to competing for real that may take a chance.

Hell maybe even the Cavalier's could use him..

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@G-Man11,

Hell maybe even the Cavalier's could use him..

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"With Gilbert, John Wall and Josh Howard & Co. nothing can stop us from a long play-off run (not even the Heat). Without Gil we suck. So up yearn!"

-----------------

WOW..OMG

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizravterp | September 20, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I hate to break your bubble, but if you trade gil for anything, who do you want to give the ball to in the final seconds? NY? did it once in his whole career... AB? Yi? TB? KS? AT? I can see JH do it, maybe KH as well, but still that is far away from PLENTY.

Posted by: Goelez | September 20, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to say, good job Michael Lee! I don't always agree with your perspective and analysis, but appreciate your diligence and effort in reporting on the Wiz and NBA.

Posted by: bazookajoe1 | September 20, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why people are getting caught up with the wizards having cap room. Leonsis made it clear he was not going to spend crazy money on free agents. He was going to build through the draft and develop their own players. Before the Bulls offered up Hinrich and the 17th pick the wizards was trying to buy a 1st round pick for $3 million. The Wizards were $23 million dollars under the cap at season end and had no interest in the free agent market.

Posted by: spades72 | September 20, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Do people understand how trades work? So you want to trade Gil for some bums....you still have to find a team willing to pick up his $80,000,000 GUARANTEED SALARY. Good luck with that.

There is no "trade Gil or not" questions. He's here.

The question is whether there comes a point where he's missed too much time to get back to the form we'd like to see from him. It's not just the health of his knee, it's also the erosion of skills that would happen to ANYBODY who missed that much time.

Posted by: divi3 | September 20, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizravterp | September 20, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goelez | September 20, 2010 4:55 PM

Goelez, I think you missed the sarcasm in the original post.

Posted by: bazookajoe1 | September 20, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I'd be more concerned if he didn't play moderately well last season. Whether his knee can handle the rigors of a full season remains to be seen, but his skills seem to me to be intact enough for him to be effective.

Posted by: ts35 | September 20, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@Goelez

Posted by: wizravterp | September 20, 2010 3:44 PM

I think that post was was menat to be sarcastic.

Posted by: spades72 | September 20, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm certainly glad we have Ted Leonsis at the helm of the Wizards instead of kevinjones, ts35, et al.

Mr. Leonsis has made it crystal clear that Gilbert is not going anywhere and will be a featured member of the organization as long as he does what is expected of him. By all accounts, Gilbert is doing just that. That's good enough for me.

Mr. Leonsis press statements, blog comments and general demeanor toward Gilbert appears to make the continued conjecture of the above named to be nothing more than an exercise in "axe grinding" futility. If that what floats your boat... grind on...

Posted by: bazookajoe1 | September 20, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Before Gil paid his dues, no GM in the league would touch him. If he were traded today, every GM in the league would be kicking himself. On any given night Gil can put the winning touch on any team. That includes Miami, L.A., S.A. or any other team. Imagine him in on any team that is a shooting guard short of a championship. Why are we talking about his knee? He was making a strong comeback when the incident occurred. He was not 100% but he was very good. Now he has had a lot of rehab and should have no problems. Five seconds on the clock and need penetration -- Gil. Two seconds and need spot up jumper -- Gil. One second at half court -- Gil. Need a good pass -- Gil. Need a steal --Gil. Need rebounding from Guard -- Gil. Need to mature and learn team ball -- Gil. If we did not have him these same fans would be wanting him instead of Anthony. Appreciate the talent and give him a second chance, if he isnt worth it then trade him.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | September 20, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

"Five seconds on the clock and need penetration -- Gil. Two seconds and need spot up jumper -- Gil. One second at half court -- Gil. Need a good pass -- Gil. Need a steal --Gil. Need rebounding from Guard -- Gil. Need to mature and learn team ball -- Gil."posted by 1bmffwb

Y'know, I doubt that's true. I know Wall's just a rookie, but with 5 seconds left and the Wiz needed penetration, I suspect he gets the ball. Same thing with a pass, a steal, a rebound -- I'm guessing he's already better than Gil at those things. Now an outside shot -- Gil can take that.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Thing I noticed about Wall from the beginning, is that Kentucky relied on him to get a basket when they needed one. That's with Cousins and Patterson and Bledsoe available -- as good as those guys were, their go-to move wasn't as effective as Wall taking the ball to the basket. Actually blowing by people. It's the thing that scouts and coaches stood around at various camps to watch him do when he was still in high school. "You been over to see Wall yet?" they'd ask one another. In that NCAA tournament loss, WVU's whole defensive strategy, that 1-3-1 zone, was designed to stop Wall from going to the basket. Can't play that zone in the NBA.

For all Gilbert's skills, I didn't see him do anything like that last season, in that 332 game stretch before he got himself suspended.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, 32 game stretch before Gil got himself suspended, in one of the legendary bonehead sequences in NBA history.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope wall can do those things. I said shooting guard. We don't want a one man team again. Gil has proven those skills over and over again. Wall has not, and even if he can, we want a facilitator at point guard who can get others involved, not someone who handles all the duties himself. What did you doubt to be true, that Gil can penetrate, pass the ball, steal the ball, rebound for a shooting guard? If you ignored Gil's incident, and judged his ability, are you saying there is not a need for him on the Wizards?

Posted by: 1bmffwb | September 20, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Gil shot 41% last year which is not good enough to be considered a top SG, however he was shooting better at the time of his suspension so hopefully that upward trend continues. He's not going to be taking 20 shots a night (i hope), so he's got to be more efficient imo

Posted by: divi3 | September 20, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Good, positive, thought provoking insight from Michael Lee. Especially regarding Arenas, Wall and the Wizards upcoming season. Mr. Lee, your positive imput means a great deal to Wizards fans including myself. Hope you continue to partner with Sekou Smith on somethings to enlighten the fans in Baltimore and DC. Again, thank you!

Posted by: esmith4 | September 20, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

WOW..OMG

Posted by: kevenjones | September 20, 2010 4:25 PM

The statement is a fraught with exuberance kevenjones, but it also bears truth.

This team would suck without Gilbert. And to trade Gilbert for some good mid-level guy even if possible as you suggest is laughable.

Do you really understand what it takes to be a winner in this League?

Do you think it is just coincidence that Gilbert got Koby money?

Why do you think Gilbert got Kobe money?

KevenJones, open your eyes man. Mr. Pollin and Ernie gave Gill that contract because he was sniffing that rarified air that Kobe Bryant sniffs as being one of the top NBA players in the League.

Gilbert haters will never admit it and you don't see it based on your comments, but if Gilbert is able to retain the form that brought him that contract, you are talking about one of the top players in the League.

NBA.com had Gilbert on the short list of top guards in the League.

Gilbert Arenas wasn't just a good guard that got a lucky contract. Gilbert Arenas was on the front porch and door with Superstar on it and it was cracked open. The door was unlocked.

That's who Gilbert Arenas really is and despite all his haters and criticism, I for one am convinced that he can make it on that porch again.

After all the things that we can say badly about this franchise, but if we give up Gilbert like you and the haters suggest and he gets close to Superstardom again, that would be the worst.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 20, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bazookajoe1

Ted said that Gil deserves a second chance and admitted that he couldn't be traded even if the organization wanted to. Nothing in Ted's writings about building a championship team suggest that Gil has a long term future in DC by choice.

Posted by: djnnnou | September 20, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

"Wall has not, and even if he can, we want a facilitator at point guard who can get others involved, not someone who handles all the duties himself. What did you doubt to be true, that Gil can penetrate, pass the ball, steal the ball, rebound for a shooting guard? If you ignored Gil's incident, and judged his ability, are you saying there is not a need for him on the Wizards?Posted by: 1bmffwb"

I'll say it again: I think Gil played surprisingly well during his brief comeback, before he convinced the League to suspend him via his performance in Philadelphia. But he didn't play as well as he had in his last full season before the injury. In particular, he wasn't the scorer he had been. So now I suspect that Gil can help some club. Personally, I'd prefer it's not the Wizards but it looks like it will have to be. I'd really like to have those active hallucinations where Denver gives up Carmelo or NJ ships Brooke Lopez to Washington in return for Gil and a couple second round choices, but it seems my brain won't cooperate.

So the Wiz will probably make the best of it, and I'll watch along with the rest of you.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

If John Wall is the real deal in talent and in mind, this backcourt of Wall and Arenas can rival any backcourt in the League.

At the end of the day, John Wall and Gilbert Arenas may shake out to be more than anyone can imagine.

The great players are great leaders. They are fearless. They will accept nothingless than winning. They exert their will on their teammates and the coaching philosophy if it isn't right for them to win. It is true.

John Wall cannot be a great NBA player just yet. Gilbert Arenas can be one now. Will he exert his will on this Team now?

The greatest success that John Wall can achieve can be realized if Gilbert Arenas takes the next step now to become a great player and a true leader.

There are some that will never understand the wisdom in that and there may be some that do, but don't want Gilbert to achieve that.

Gilbert must pass greatness onto John Wall. John Wall, if he is the real deal, deserves nothing less.

There are some that think John Wall can be great and that Gilbert should not be apart of it. That would be a mistake.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 20, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Here's an example: though Gil's '09 performance met his career averages, he had been a lot better scorer in the two seasons prior to his injury, averaging 29.3 and 28.4 points, respectively. Then he really was a candidate for MVP, deserving of mention in the same breath as Kobe Bryant. Those memories are still fresh in some fans' minds. Maybe he'll come back to those earlier levels this season with Wall's help, but the odds would be against it.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I should clarify that I'm not saying John Wall will ever match Gilbert's best seasons as a scorer. I don't think he will. But the question was about who might get the key basket to stop the other team's run, the key steal, the big rebound -- I suspect it's Wall. He's a rare talent.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Gun Boy is a one dimensional player and if he is your best player then look out for another 55 to 60 losses Bullet Fan!

Posted by: jwing14 | September 20, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Wall is ready. He has the mind set of a star who KNOWS damn well he's the best player on the team and when in a game, the best player on the floor. That's needed, but I think he has it. Look for him to deliver a ****load of assists to Arenas. Why not pass it to a guy who can shoot? He'll also find his bigs for easy buckets. I think his ego is more in passing than scoring, so the other players will GLADLY follow his lead, even Agent Zero. They'll be in the lottery again this year, but they'll be a lot better at the end of the season than at the beginning, as folks adjust to Wall -- he won't have to adjust to them, as he already has the right pass-first mindset.

Posted by: dolph924 | September 21, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

There are plenty of players in the league who can't play defense, but maybe 5 who can score at will with the efficiency that Gilbert Arenas could in his prime.

Can he get back to that? Who knows?

But if we trade him now we are selling in a buyers market. If he recovers from his injury and becomes the player he was then he is worth what he's making, and his trade value will be much more than it is right now.

I would still want to trade him at that point because you can't win championships with key players who can't defend. History has proven this, and Gil can't or won't defend.

Maybe if he could play just average defense and a bunch of other pieces fell into some kind of astrological one-in-a-billion lottery mind-**** place, then we could be like the pistons with Hamilton at the 2, but really I don't see it happening. So prove he can score like he could before, then trade him for picks and space. Then you build for when Wall is coming into his prime.

But we won't know until he plays. So what the organization is doing is absolutely spot on. Wait. And. See. If he's the Gil of old, then great, asset acquired. If not, then all we lost was a few months of time and we're back where we were.

Posted by: uranderson | September 21, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Arenas was a great offensive player 5 years ago. His knees have been cut up and he hasn't played in a meaningful game in years. He essentially hasn't played for the past 3 seasons. The only reason he's still on the team is because no one else has any interest in his contract. Facts don't lie.

Posted by: randysbailin | September 21, 2010 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Right, like the fact that he averaged more points (22.6) per game than all but 10 players in the NBA last season? And the other fact that he averaged 7 assists. And the other fact that that was right after coming back from a serious injury and being out of shape and playing on a terrible team.

Posted by: uranderson | September 21, 2010 3:53 AM | Report abuse

Why do people want to put the failure of the Gil-led Wizard teams on Gil?

Any Gil basher do me these 2 small favors:

Name 1 team ever advanced significantly in the playoffs WITHOUT a legitimate low post offensive presence.

Name 1 legitimate low post offensive presence on a Gil led Wizard team.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________
This was a joke right? "We have PLENTY of clutch knock down shooters". Was I in a coma and woke up on April 1st or something, because this is the dumbest statement I ever head.

Posted by: lemekdivine | September 21, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

"Other than that he's done. So yeah trade him for a bag of chips because we are so ADD.
Posted by: uranderson"

I feel your pain, but isn't it something of a non-issue? So far the Wiz haven't found anyone who will take on Gil's contract. They've been open about having tried. At least they're no longer thinking about shipping him to some other team AND paying his salary for that other club.

I imagine Arenas would rather have been traded than face another season in Washington, too. A player like Gil surely wants a new start.

Two things stand in the way: the Contract (which I find myself thinking of as 'The Big C') and Gilbert's rep for unpredictability. Try to see it from another GM's perspective: here you had a guy who brought guns into the locker room, and when he got caught, instead of apologizing to all and sundry, passed it off as a 'joke' then basically defied the Commissioner in public. Would you want that guy on your team? Maybe if you didn't have to pay him...

I'm sure somehow this will all pass -- if Ron Artest can rehab his image, anybody can -- but in the past it's almost always involved playing in another city, for fans with even shorter memories than ours.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Wall will lead because he is a natural leader and because he HAS to. Arenas has already shown that he is unwilling and, most importantly, unable to lead.

Wall and Hinrich being the primary leaders on this team would be the perfect scenario (from a leadership standpoint) for Arenas, I might add.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I think what got Artest his second chance was his public image as something of a crazy man, which he'd had long before the incident in Detroit. Once the public's anger started to fade -- meaning once the media stopped showing that clip of Ronnie stretched out on the scorer's table while chaos reigned on the court -- people began to remember that he'd always been something of an idiot and maybe this sort of thing wasn't entirely unexpected. Gil might benefit from that realization, too. I bet if the Post had polled fans before the incident as to which Wiz was most likely to do something dumb enough to get him suspended for the rest of the season, Gil's name would have popped up in the top three.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

You will always have haters(people who want people to fail or people who look at everything 1/2 empty).

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"I think if Gil is scoring around 18pts/night on 43%FG or so....all will be forgiven right here in DC.Posted by: divi3"

LOL and if the Wiz make the playoffs, they'll erect a statue in Southeast.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

From Denver, looks like the bidding is open on Carmelo, with the Nugs asking for combos of young star, 1st round pick, affordable players, and cap savings. They're way over the luxury tax ceiling at $83 mil, so that will be a big factor, along with Carmelo's willingness to sign an extension with the new club.

More from the report: "The Nuggets remain in the most-compromising of situations, as Anthony's wandering eye coupled with a roster that has little long-term viability in its current form mean it's a hard sell these days in the Mile High City. Denver has just three players with fully-guaranteed contracts for the 2011-12 season (Al Harrington, Chris Anderson and Renaldo Balkman), while Anthony ($18.5 million) and power forward Nené ($11.6 million) both have high-priced player options for that campaign."

"Anthony is hardly the only core player whose future is in flux, too, as the contract of point guard Chauncey Billups is only partially guaranteed for 2011-12. Despite Billups' assertions that keeping him around for the cost of $14.2 million that season would improve the team's chances of keeping Anthony, his situation presents yet another dilemma inside this Nuggets' quandary."

"Investing in Billups would fit a blueprint that also includes Anthony, but committing that sort of salary to a soon-to-be 34-year-old only to lose Anthony next summer would hardly fit the likely plan of getting younger and finding a new core. As previously reported by FanHouse's Chris Tomasson, the Nuggets would have to pay Billups $3.7 million if they part ways with him next summer."

"Meanwhile...team executives Mark Warkentien and Rex Chapman were shown the door in early August... Former Toronto assistant general manager Masai Ujiri was hired as the team's general manager in late August, with his level of influence significant but certainly below that of soon-to-be owner Josh Kroenke (the son of owner Stan Kroenke) and team adviser Bret Bearup."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

LOL and if the Wiz make the playoffs, they'll erect a statue in Southeast.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 8:54 AM

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"What exactly is that supposed to mean?
Posted by: divi3"

Means that if the Wiz get into the playoffs, not only is all forgiven, but the city will probably erect a statue in Southeast.

What did you think it meant? Wait, no -- don't tell me.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wall and Hinrich to be primary leaders on this team....

I say again, the primary leader on this team right now has to be Gilbert Arenas. Gilbert Arenas has to take that next step and be a true leader.

Anythingelse right now is not what you would want to see.

And enough of this Hinrich flag waving. Pulease', he's a good role player. My goodness.

Hinrich has no more chance of leading any team than Dominic McGuire did.

People will say anything, Hinrich a leader of this team. Please!!!

Bobabuie, do you really understand what it is to lead an NBA team?

Do you realize that the Wizards haven't had a leader, probably since...ah..ah..Wes Unseld retired as a player and we borrowed Michael Jordan for a couple of years.

Gilbert Arenas was getting there and was the closest before he got hurt.

In other words real NBA team leaders are flat out the top echelon players in the Leauge for their team and Kirk Hinrich will never acheive the tag as an NBA leader.

Arenas is the only one that can acheive that title now with hopefully John Wall to follow.

My boy Antwann Jamison was the captain of the Team, but he never came close to what a NBA leader is.

I almost think IMB, a NBA ring qualifies you to be called a NBA leader. Charles Barkeley, Allen Iverson, I would never call NBA leaders. Gilbert Arenas is the closest we got to getting there.

The young fella down in OKC is leading his Team with the best of them and he comes close to being called an NBA leader without having won a Ring. Durantula is on his way.

Kirk Hinrich an NBA leader. You must mean Wall and Hinrich should be the captains of the Team. Hell, I got a problem with Hinrich being designated a captain as well.

Hinrich, a Wizards captain. A joke.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas, Agent Zero, Hibaci, was at one point and potentially is the best baskeball player that the Wizards have had since ????. Can't think of anyone can you. Common, it's not rocket science. Me neither. The key word here is potentially. Why would the Wiz give up on someone like him. Especially since now we have a point guard who could be the best point guard that we have had since ????. Hmmmmm! Can't think of anyone can you.

Okay, let me get this straight.

Gil, when he came off an injury year was still a top ten scorer while he had the duty of playing the point and SG.

Gil now only has to be the SG and can concetrate just on scoring.

Gil's CAN'T be traded, period.

If Gil regains what he had, with definite leaders and character guys and winners like John Wall, Josh Howard and Kirk, why would we want to trade him. Would we still be concerned with his character.

My brother who's a New York fan is envying the heck out of us right now.

I'm a faithful Bullets/Wizards fan for life and I appreciate that the guy took us to 2 1/2 playoffs straigh when we couldn't sniff the playoffs. So he tripped up and made some bad decisions with the gun thing. His only other mistake was working his A$% off to rehab a knee to get back to giving these ungrateful fans what he had given them before. Winning seasons. Heck, I love the guy.

All you Gil haters, YOU STINK! And please do me a favor. The next time he lights up Kobe for 63. Or hits a game winner from right past half court. Or throws his jersey in the fans to some kid. Or goes to play ball in Barry Farms to give the folks in the hood (who can't afford a ticket) a show. Please, don't jump back on the bandwagon. Heck, if I were him, I woudln't want be a ball player in this city with these schizophrenic unloyal fans.

Posted by: justman1 | September 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas, John Wall, Kirk Hinrich, Andray Blatche, Keven Seraphin, Nick Young, Josh Howard, Al Thornton, Hilton Armstrong, Trevor Booker, Yi Jianlian, JaVale McGee, Hamady Ndiaye and Fabricio Oberto (he's still here).

You can pick a captain from one or two of these guys. Why Kirk Hinrich is getting love is beyond me.

The Leader of this team cannot be picked despite what one might think. Whom this team follows or not isn't determined by someone's wishes.

The character and performance will make one of these players the one that all of them will follow.

And that one player can achieve NBA stardom you hope and be labeled as an NBA leader.

Right now, the closest is Gilbert Arenas. After him it would appear to be John Wall.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

LarryinLaLaLand,

Now entering his 10th year in the NBA, you expect Arenas to become a leader? LMAO. I thought you had more horse sense than that.

Arenas is what he is: a goofball, idiosyncratic guy who just happens to be, at times, a good scorer. He is far too concerned with being liked by his teammates to get in somebody's face when he has to.

Hinrich is a leader, both vocally and by his play and has been since the day he came into the league. An additional, rarely discussed benefit is that he won't bring four weapons into the VC. You can bank on it!

Larry, you're old enough to know that leaders are born, not appointed because of their salary or because they take a sh!tload of shots and hit only 41% of them. They take the lead without being asked and are effective when doing so. In short, they have "it". Wall and Hinrich are the natural leaders of this team.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

Posted by: lemekdivine | September 21, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Can't beleive so many people actuly thought this a legit comment. Wake up to the sarcasm people. Anyone who thinks we HAVE to trade Gil is just flat out DUMB and has NO basketball sence. I've posted it before I support Gil 110%. The gun thing is so over blown. People around this town are so perfect that you cant make mistakes(sarcasm!!). If you do they look down on you for the rest of your life. Hell, we could've had Jordan in his prime during the so called gambling problem, and fans in this place would say "who cares if he is the greatest, he gambles we must trade him". Thank God that Ted owns this team and not some of the fans. SOME OF US ARE STILL HERE WITH YOU GIL!!!!!

Posted by: wizravterp | September 21, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

bobabuie,

A person incapable of leading cannot achieve what Gilbert has in this League. Gilbert's mistake is believing that he isn't a leader and not wishing to take on the responsibility of being one.

Now Gilbert Arenas must try his damdest to be what he thought he did not have to be. A real true leader of this Team. His legacy now depends on it. His continued success depends on it. And he has to know this.

Gilbert Arenas has tasted the success of the best in this League and you don't get that far without embedding the qualities of what leaders are made of.

In sports true leaders will do all they can to be the best. Gilbert thought he could be one of the best without being a leader.

That is a oxy-moron. It is probably why folks like Iverson and Barkely never got rings.

Gilbert Arenas has a 2nd chance to prove that he gets it now. I don't think he will get it wrong this time.

And I certainly hope he does it here and not someplaceelse.

And Hinrich is just a good role player. That is all he will ever be. He isn't a leader, a NBA one that is. A NBA role model, yes, he certainly qualifies for.

Don't get it twisted. When you say NBA leader, that is a tall, tall, statement.

Hinrich is no more a leader than Brendan Haywood is. Don't get it twisted my friend.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"All you Gil haters, YOU STINK! And please do me a favor. The next time he lights up Kobe for 63. Or hits a game winner from right past half court."

OK, let us know when that happens.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure EG and Flip have already named KH a captain whether he's set foot in VC yet or not....but I thought that sort of thing is up to players? I can see them naming KH because he's more veteran than just about everybody else....however Wall will be a rookie, doubt he'll be named a capt but who knows. Blatche may be a capt, being he's the longest tenured player who hasnt brought guns to the facility.

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Wizravterp,

When I read your statement, I immediately saw the sarcasm there. It is a great statement. I too was perplexed how some here did not catch the sarcasm.

Maybe they just blindly hate Gilbert, let's hope it wasn't their reading skills.

You recognize along with some of us where Gilbert really stands in this League and Sunday School Teams with good character have never won an NBA Ring.

You got to have Flat Out Top Dog Ballers and Gilbert Arenas has given indication that he can be one of them.

Add Wall to the mix, whom even the Gilbert haters say is a can't miss star, and we might be doing something as the young generation might say.

The statement is very clear.

In fact: REPOST!

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

And as LeBron recognized, you need more than 1 top dawg talent

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Larry, Larry, Larry.

A newly-minted felon gets named captain by a rookie NBA owner looking to re-energize the fan base? Yeah, when pigs fly!

In a perfect world, your best, most-experienced and best-paid players would be your leaders. Sadly, the world is not perfect. That is not Arenas' thing. Accept it and accept him.

You say you hope Arenas has learned his lesson about avoiding leadership. I say, for once, people should let him be him. Just leave him be. Let him be the guy who loosens guys up in the lockerroom and gets buckets on the court. It's the mode he will gravitate to anyway and is as natural for him as leading is for guys like Wall and Hinrich. You feel me?

Let him play the position he was born to play: shooting guard. Let him fill the role he was born to fill: unapologetic scorer. Yes, he's undersized for a two but what can the Wizards do? Let him "lead" by example by showing guys how hard he works to get better as his work ethic is unquestioned.

Leonsis and Grunfeld should lay down the parameters within which he must operate in terms of his behavior (guns, poop shoes, de-wheeling, etc.), then get off his back and allow Gil to be Gil within those parameters. After 10 years, hasn't he earned that right?

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Larry, the team's best player(s) do have to be leaders for the team to be successful, BUT, it's not only the team's best player who can be leaders.

Kobe is a leader on the Lakers, but the other person they frequently mention on the Lakers as being a significant leader is Derek Fisher, who is a very solid, proven player, but not a top echelon player by any means.

I agree that Gil does need to 'put away childish things' and step up as a leader for the team. He has some qualities, in particular, his work ethic, and his charisma, that are good qualities for a leader. But he also has too much of a tendency to go his own way. Hopefully his experiences over the past few years have helped him take that next step.

But that doesn't mean that Hinrich (or others like Howard) can't also be a leader for this team. He's a tough veteran player who's started for playoff teams.

I understand that it's currently in fashion on these pages to dismiss Hinrich, but give the man his due respect as you would any veteran with his credentials. That's not to say he'll be an awesome player for the Wiz, just that he's a good, veteran player, who has exhibited toughness, defense, and a team-first attitude throughout his career. Hopefully those are characteristics we're seeking to instill in the 'new' Wizards.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Larry, Larry, Larry.

The same non-caucasion fan base that similar to the "Barry Farms" area that Gil made popular, you know those folks that forgave Marion Barry. Those felons over there in Southeast and other areas of DC that do not aspire to the "Holier Than Thou" mentality that some of you do.

A lot of convicted felons lead. I guess Kobe can lead because he wasn't convicted of rape but Gil can't lead because he was convicted of a bull-crap charge based on a bad joke.

Gil was leading this team all along. Whether he liked it or admitted it or not. The team lacked a lot and lost to better teams. Why, because in the playoffs, the team with the best SUPERSTAR usually wins, if the supporting casts are near equal. When the team was down, who led them to victory? When someone needed to take the last shot, who took it? WHO DID A DAMN GOOD JOB OF MAKING THOSE LAST SECOND SHOTS?

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"Leadership" is a bit of an ephemeral issue with this team because, in all likelihood, this particular team won't be going anywhere. Even if they exceed expectations and sneak into the playoffs, there's a good chance that at least 1/3 of the guys on the opening day roster will be gone after this season, and more at the end of the season after that. Wall should spend the next two season learning what it takes to lead in the NBA (and despite whatever he did during his cup of coffee in college, he currently has no idea about the NBA), but he won't really get a chance to put it it to the test until the actual team they'll have going forward is constructed.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 21, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 11:28 AM

Sadly, that fan base doesn't pay the bills at VC. Turn off the paying customers and your team will go out of business. That is a simple fact.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 11:28 AM

Gil hasn't been a leader because he a) didn't want to and b) doesn't know how to. NOONE has prevented him from leading in the past except himself. In fact, coaches have nearly begged him to show leadership in his previous nine seasons. To put Arenas' shortcomings on ANYONE else besides Arenas is just passing the buck.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I know Gil didn't want the "title" of leader, but he was leading them, whether he realized it or not. I said that before.

Some people around here just don't want him around. PERIOD. They don't want him on the bench. They don't want him leading. They want to blame him for EVERYTHING like the Wizards wer EVER championship material and they underachieved becuase of Gil.

Where am I passing the buck?

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM

Bobabuie, where do you get off saying that Fan Base doesn't pay the bills at VC???

When has assisted housing paid for any NBA venue? So what are you really trying to say? Southeast DC really gets a raw tag for it's poorest citizen. It is like the whole of SE DC don't work, don't pay taxes, aren't rich and wealthy and certainly don't attend any event's at the VC or any other venues in DC.

Boy, are you sheltered.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

What the hell does the team Captain do anyway? Anybody who thinks Gil is going to take orders from KH or Josh Howard, or John Wall is out of their mind. Best we can hope for is that Flip gives Gil a role and Gil embraces/thrives in it.

Or are people thinking that if Gil is lax on D, the team captains will scold some more effort out of him? come on

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

G-Man11

I agree that some people don't want him around period based on, imo, a combination of his big contract, his being injured for the better part of two years and the VC gun incident resulting in a suspension that killed any hopes of a post-season run.

I personally don't hate him, didn't want him to go to prison and didn't want his contract terminated. To me, Arenas is harmless to society. He is a kid in a man's body, imo.

My point on passing the buck is that Arenas put himself in his current situation of not being seen as a desirable leader or a leader of any sort on this team. Noone else.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Boy, are you sheltered.

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 11:58 AM

Boy are you out of touch with reality.

Southeast DC is the poorest quadrant of DC. Common sense should lead you to believe that Southeast DC felons (the fan base I was addressing) do not represent any appreciable amount of the patrons who purchase season tickets or pay to attend games.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 11:58 AM

Divi3, you said a mouthful then. Basketball is peculiar because only 5 players get to run the action at one time. And of those five one or two, maybe three in some cases really run things.

And as some know, you can't just place that tag of leader on a player cause you want him to be.

The leader will automatically rise and that leader will be a bad one, a marginal one, or a very good one.

People don't want to accept the fact that Gilbert is and has been the leader of this team and even Gilbert didn't want to accept it.

But, funny thing is, he has to accept it now.

Bobaduie doesn't want Gilbert as the leader so he thinks he can just name a couple of good men.

It doesn't work that way. On the one hand he says leaders are born and then he says Wall and Hinrich are the leaders and Gilbert can't be.

WTF.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 11:58 AM

A team captain's job is to try to get the best effort from everyone. That includes Arenas. Lets be clear about something: Arenas is never going to be Bruce Bowen and there isn't a soul out there who doesn't know that by now.

If Arenas doesn't even try to play defense and peer pressure doesn't get him to give more than a token effort, then I think it gives the naysayers more ammunition (sorry) to label him as a limited specialist who only cares about stats and couldn't care less about winning. He does have that rap in some circles, ya know.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

given that probably 50% of paying customers at VC are "non-Caucasian"...it's also common sense to believe Gil is not going to be shunned the way he might be in some other arenas. And there are many people out there (black, white, whatever) who find it absurd that while Gil is amongst the country's "most hated" athletes (Q rating)...Ben Rothlisberger doesnt even make the list.

As long as Gil behaves and plays well, he'll be good-to-go with the VC faithful imho

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

WTF.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 12:17 PM

So now "bobaduie" is somehow pulling strings on the Wizards? LMAO. As I said, leaders are born. Gil was not born one. Now Gil has led the team in shot attempts. I agree that counts for something. The Wizards would do well to let him fill his natural role.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

my question is moreso, why should Gil give a rat's ass what Hinrich or Josh Howard or Wall have to say about anything? Do you think he ever listened to AJ?

The Gil we get this season will be based 100% on what Gil decides to do, no team captain is going to change that imho

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Shhhhhh....keep that quiet. A lot of people(not in Southeast DC) don't want you speaking out about how they hold people different from them to a higher level of accountability. They think everything is on the up-and-up.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:06

Does anybody think this guy knows what he is talking about? The last time I checked the Mayors House was always listed as being in SE DC. Now they might have changed address since the Barry escapades, but SE DC encompasses a hell of lot of territory not named Barry Farms.

Just like I said before, why are you insistent upon labeling SE DC with it's poorest citizen.

I am sure that there are some felons that live in NW DC. Give me a break.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

given that probably 50% of paying customers at VC are "non-Caucasian"...

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 12:20 PM

Two things:

2) Even "non-caucasions" can see it as a negative to name a felon team captain the same year in which he was sentenced and served his term. Like it or not, Gil is a role model who is highly visible. There are some season-ticket holders who were angry about the VC incident because they feel that Gil threw the season away due to his actions (which is certainly different from getting injured and missing the season).

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Larry

I see caucasions risking their lives going to the "drive-thru" to buy "fast-food" all the time in SE. They making $$$ in Southeast, it may be illegal, but they certainly make enough money to buy tickets to Wizard games.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

bobabouie

I for one never said name him "Captain". He led before without that title.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I am sure that there are some felons that live in NW DC. Give me a break.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 12:31 PM

Larry, you grasp at straws, get a short one, and reach for another. So now Southeast isn't the poorest quadrant in DC?

Do 5 seconds of research, and you'll get an answer about Southeast's poverty rate relative to the other quadrants. It's called critical analysis. Try it.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 12:26 PM

Why should any guy (not just Gil) with a massive guaranteed contract listen to anybody, coaches and management included?

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Bobabouie

The point you miss with LarryInMaryland is that my earlier post about the "Barry Farms" people will not have a problem with Gil leading the wizards was really not only about Southeast DC, low-income, people, but all black people. What I mean by black people, as "black on the inside", people, and you find them everywhere. You have people who are dark on the outside, but white on the inside, and people who have people who are white on the outside and black on the inside. It is not a race. It is a mentality.

People who are black on the inside cross racial come in all shades and colors. People of SE DC are a small fragment of the people who are black on the inside.

There are people who are black on the inside who earn good salaries too and can afford to buy season tickets to wizard games.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"1) Throw your TV out, divi3 and get another one. The crowd I see is well over 50% white."

I dont watch the games on TV, I go to them and I'm betting VC has the highest "non-Caucasian" attendance in the nba, or at least very close to it.

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 12:56 PM

I don't dispute that and I wouldn't take that bet. But the crowd is NOT 50% "non-caucasion" as you stated earlier. That's all I was saying.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

'Even "non-caucasions" can see it as a negative to name a felon team captain the same year in which he was sentenced and served his term'

But who names the team captains? Leonsis? EG? Flip? Or the players?

If EG sends down a memo stating "KH and JWall are hereby designated team captains"....will it mean anything at all? It would seem to me the players pick who they want as capts, and that's that

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

What part of the above 50% caucausion crowd was cheering Gilbert in the past, trying to get his jersey?

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

G,

What part of the above 50% caucausion crowd was angry at Gil for slamming the door shut on a playoff appearance? Were they trying to get his jersey after that?

You and I know events change both perception and reality.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

One last foray at you Bobabuie. I am not saying that SE DC does not have a great % of the poor. What I am saying is that you are painting SE DC in that fashion.

If you really check all that SE DC encompasses and you haven't based upon your comments, you will find a lot more than the poor felon based folks you are reffering too.

Also, I see by your comments that you aren't making a distinction between Captain, Role Model, and NBA leader.

The distinction between the three terms if you would stop mixing them up might help you.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have the actual demographics on Wizards attendance? No?

The truth of it is that black, white, (or black on the inside, white on the outside, or whatever the hell G-Man is trying to say) or whatever, if Gil comes out and plays well, and especially if the team does well, most people will move on and this incident will fade. Just as they have faded for Kobe, Ray Lewis, Charles Barkley, and a host of other prominent people. Gil's offense doesn't even rise to the level of the rest.

Even with all of his baggage, he is capable (theoretically) of being a positive leader for this team. I do agree that it will be tough to name him a captain for this season. But like it or not, Gilbert will be a leader for this team in one way or another, either positively or negatively. Hopefully it will be positively.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have the actual demographics on Wizards attendance? No?

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

bobabuie

I don't think "slamming the door shut on a playoff appearance" had anything to do with it.

It is a "holier than thou", "my sh-t don't stink", unforgiveness in all this Gil bashing, not by all, but you can smell it.

Justice = JustUS . You know like it seems like OJ was the only person who got away with murder. Some people are allowed to get away with things(while living) but they then judge JustUs like they are our Creator, without judging themselves.

Gil is being judged and held to the higher standard than they hold themselves.

The trial judge saw clearly. It was a joke.

They need to get over it.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35

True ts35. But people only remember the negative(on and off the court).

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 21, 2010 1:13 PM

I don't have to get more info on Southeast DC. I know it is not full of "poor, felon-based folks" as YOU state. Again, I specifically addressed the "Southeast DC felons" alluded to by G-Man-11. Critical analysis, Larry.

The only person who is mixed up is you (as usual). Your inability to think linearly is most amusing. I said I believe Arenas is not a leader and have been consistent in stating that belief.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

But who names the team captains? Leonsis? EG? Flip? Or the players?

Not sure with the Wiz, but I think it varies from team to team. I wouldn't think that an organization would let it be totally player determined. For a variety of reasons. Team dynamics, public relations, ego-massaging of star players, etc. If all of the players on a team don't like the star, maybe they vote for someone else. Unlikely a team lets it go down that way. I'm assuming they take a lot of player input, but ultimately retain the right to name the captain. Flip strikes me as a coach who wants to name his own captain.

I don't think it will be Gil, unless they think it will help motivate him to be a leader, or unless he asks for it, which I don't think he has ever done. If he asks for the captaincy, they may feel he's trying to become more serious about it, and feel obliged to give him the chance. But even with that, it does present the issues we've all talked about.

I don't think it will be KH. Tough to see them giving it to any of the rooks, including Wall. It leaves an interesting dilemma. If it's not Gil, Wall or KH, who does that leave? None of the other candidates really seem to fit the bill of 'captain'. They could give it to AB, based on his renewed dedication this offseason, but he does strike me as the guy people look to as a leader yet.

My guess would be that if Gil wants it, they give it to him. If he doesn't they give it to Wall and say, this is your team, go earn their respect and earn the captaincy. Even Ovie wasn't a captain right off the bat though.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Gil is being judged and held to the higher standard than they hold themselves.

The trial judge saw clearly. It was a joke.

They need to get over it.

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 21, 2010 1:21 PM

I don't disagree with what you're saying, G-Man11. There will always be SOME who come down heavier on somebody because he/she is of a different race. And let's face it, the NBA (a pre-dominately black league) is the only league that has such a stringent dress code for players on the bench. I have no doubt that race was a factor in implementing that dress code.

Tiger Woods found out real quick that America didn't think he was "Cablinasian" (or whatever he was saying) after his sex-scandal, imho.

Posted by: bobabuie | September 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

sorry, meant to say AB *doesn't* strike me as the guy people look to

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to pro athletes, the public will forgive/forget anything once the whistle blows, as long as the team wins. The idea that large segments of would-be Wiz fans--black or white--will boycott or protest if Arenas is named captain is nonsense. They couldn't care less. Hell, most people at the games probably have no idea who the team captains are.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

If the Captain title is given out by the coaches, then I think Hinrich is a lock to get it. He's a vet with playoff experience and no baggage, and (deserved or not) he got credit for taking a mentoring role with Derrick Rose in Chicago. Part of the reason they got him was to provide a stabilizing influence between Arenas and Wall, so making him a captain would make some sense. And, quite frankly, I highly doubt Arenas has any interest in being named captain. I'm sure Blatche would want it, but I can't see anyone (coaches or players) giving it to him.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 21, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

I can't see them giving it to Hinrich. He's new to the team and he's likely not a starter. And while he does have playoff experience, he doesn't have the kind of playoff resume that confers the kind of status that guys like Billups have when they change teams. Giving him the captaincy to me would see to cause more grumbling among guys like AB. But who knows? I think they usually name the captains officially after training camp, so maybe KH can earn enough respect during the camp to warrant the captaincy. Trying to figure out if KH was a team captain in Chicago.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Kirk was a captain several times over the years with the Bulls, including for four straight years from '03 - '07 and in '09 (along with Deng and Lindsey Hunter, and despite the presence of Rose).

So, shows what I know. They apparently did go via player election, and the team was apparently fine with the omission of Rose as captain. Maybe that's the way the Wiz will go this year, with a multi-captain approach.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Also, we may like to say what KH is supposed to do but he is probably not very happy being here and is certainly not going to accept a backup role without a fight (i hope). I would hope he tries to best Wall every single day in practice. And that NY tries to bust KH's butt every single day. And Yi eyes ABs minutes etc etc.

Have a camp like that and let the capts emerge from it, whomever they may be

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

And the former "Big 3" AJ, Butler and Arenas were 'co-captains' in their heyday.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Wall is going to be carrying bags and getting his shoe shat in (ok, hope not)...somehow i doubt rookies are ever made capts

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

good to know 'shat' flies under the filter!

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Generally not. But with such a young team with very few quality veterans, and with the best of those vets having some issues, it presents a unusual circumstance.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 3:30 PM

All of that might matter if this were a team full of big time, playoff tested vets. It's not. It's a ragtag group of rookies, reclamation projects, and last-chancers. On this team, Hinrich's leadership resume dwarfs everyone else's (and yes, that's damning with faint praise). Ultimately, that's what really matters. If you're going to give someone a title that confers leadership, you want that person to be capable of providing said leadership. However limited Hinrich's capacity may be, it's still greater (at least this season) than pretty much anyone else on the team.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 3:43 PM

And coming into last season, Arenas was not named a captain and seemed to have no problem with that. I seem to recall him saying in an interview that he preferred it that way.

"KH was a team capt on the Bulls for years...but he was a starter and huge catalyst for their team so the situation here is different."

Posted by: divi3 | September 21, 2010 3:41 PM

A player doesn't have to be a starter or a big minutes player to be a captain. As ts35 noted, Lindsey Hunter was a captain on the Bulls and he rarely played (at least during the regular season). And, as I recall, he was also a captain on the Pistons under similar circumstances. And, as likely the primary backup at both guard spots, Hinrich will see his fair share of minutes (and maybe a fair share of Nick Young's as well).

I'm not saying that Hinrich is the best possible choice in all the world. But by most any objective measure, he appears to be the best choice on this team.

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 21, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

And as far as Blatche grumbling: (A) Who cares? (B) Which do you think is likely to piss him off more: The captaincy going to a 7-year vet with multiple playoff appearances on his resume and who (let’s face it) isn’t likely to be here more than 2 years, if that? OR The captaincy going to an unproven rookie, riding in on a massive wave of hype, being given the keys to what Blatche had, down the stretch of last season, pretty clearly come to think of as “his team”?

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 21, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 3:43 PM

Just threw that up there as a noteworthy fact because I thought I had been reading in these threads that Gil had never been the Wizards team captain.

Posted by: kalo_rama

Depends on whom he respects more. He may be fine with Wall getting the captaincy as long as Wall gets him the rock. :)

Hinrich definitely has the bona fides to be the captain, but he doesn't really have relationships with any of the guys on the team. Again, training camp may solve that. Hunter did get named a team captain without those relationships per se, but the third captain and he had a long history of playing for teams that went deep in the playoffs, and at least one ring.

It was interesting though, I was just watching an interview with Nick Young and when asked about how Gil was doing, he said something to the effect of "looking like a great player, like a captain of this team."

The more I think of it, the more the multi-captain scenario makes the most sense. Maybe it ends up being Seraphin because he can clean the clock of anyone in the room. It used to work for Charles Oakley.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"Depends on whom he respects more. He may be fine with Wall getting the captaincy as long as Wall gets him the rock."

Well, if all he cares about is getting the rock, why should he care whether Hinrich becomes captain?

Posted by: kalo_rama | September 21, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

The NBA being what it is, AB may have more 'respect' for Wall's ability than Hinrich's experience. AB may understand (or be willing to rationalize) naming the prize #1 rookie a 'captain' as opposed to naming a newly arrived, statistically unimpressive veteran as captain ahead of him. It's a twist of the rationale you provided above for his objections to Wall. AB's a vet, he's been with the team for a while, he 'carried' the team at the end of last year, why should the new vet get to be captain?

Or, more likely, AB will find some reason to grumble no matter what the circumstances are.

As to the 'who cares?' part of the argument, my thought is that if Flip were naming a captain he would likely try to do it in a way that helps team chemistry as opposed to causing issues. Like it or not, they are counting on AB's production this year. And they will likely have enough issues to be concerned about with him to want to aggravate it further over what amounts to a ceremonial position.

But if it does come down to player vote, it's moot anyway.

Posted by: ts35 | September 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone have the actual demographics on Wizards attendance? No?" posted by ts35

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but I found this breakdown:

Smart people: 10%
Dumb people: 10%
Confused people: 80%

Posted by: Samson151 | September 21, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! I'm in the majority! (hopefully)

Posted by: ts35 | September 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse