Two weeks until Wizards training camp

The Wizards are two weeks away from kicking off a new era for the franchise, with the team starting training camp at George Mason's Patriot Center with someone other than Abe Pollin serving as owner for the first time in 46 years.

New owner Ted Leonsis has already brought his innovative marketing and promotional ideas to the franchise, with an elaborate introduction for No. 1 overall pick John Wall and his plans to introduce the team to fans with a Midnight Madness pep rally on Sept. 28.

Gilbert Arenas is coming back, but after serving as the most identifiable player on the team the past seven years -- even while injured or suspended -- he is expected to take a complementary role alongside Wall. The Wizards will be one of the youngest teams in the league, with 30-year-old Josh Howard the oldest player on a 12-man roster with an average age of 24.4 and 3.58 years of experience.

The most pressing concern for the Wizards is going to be how well Arenas and Wall mesh, which I broke down shortly after the Wizards won the lottery in May. But there are several other questions that will need to be answered over the course of the season -- regarding Wall, Arenas, Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee, Flip Saunders, playoff chances, etc. -- and I plan on addressing them throughout the week, beginning on Tuesday.

Before I get started, I wanted to hear from you guys, to get a sense of what concerns you heading into training camp. Drop me a line, I look forward to your feedback. We should have some fun this week.

By Michael Lee  | September 13, 2010; 12:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When will John Wall get his shot?
Next: Training camp concerns Part I: What can the Wizards expect from Gilbert Arenas?

Comments

I know there are a lot of people down on Gil(including most beat writers) but, I am sick of hearing all of these analogies about why Gilbert and John can't coexist. How about a little positivity here. Especially since Gilbert will be with us (which I am glad for). Don't you all think it has been long enough and more than enough of putting Gilbert down. I for one am willing to forgive and forget and think and hope Gilbert will give all of his naysayers something to talk about (eat crow) From everything I have heard, he has learned his lesson and is ready to get on the court and show just how valuable he is. By the way, I am a Gil fan.

Congrats to my homey Durant and go Wizards!!!

Posted by: ivyleague | September 13, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I am looking forward to attending one or more your your practices. Also, let me toss something at you, what do you think about giving Allen Iverson a chance. I am certain that he is ready to show that he can still play and get along with his fellow team mates. I know that he caused a lot of confusion in his day, but I am just foolish enough to believe that he is ready to grow up and contribute.

Posted by: paulaburto3 | September 13, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I have the most questions about Seraphin. How's the knee? Is he being looked at as a PF, C or PF/C?

I'm looking forward to this season more than last because the style of play is going to be drastically different from that employed with the 'Big 3' and I really like the athleticism and flexibility of our young guys. Should be an interesting year with lots of ups and downs, but that's how it is with youth.

Posted by: and_1 | September 13, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

No chance on Iverson. The PG position is about as crowded as can be and besides, he's done. He looked slow last year and he still has a bad 'tude, imo.

Posted by: and_1 | September 13, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

WIZ Q's

- How's Gilbert's physical (knee) & MENTAL condition?

- What would be breaking point for Wiz to trade Gil? Is there a Gil for Carmelo discussion? If Wiz stay mediocre, how do they get better through draft w/o lottery?

- When will youth turn toward maturity: McGee, Young, Blatche, etc.?

- Will Blatche dominate like end of last year?

- What did McGee learn from Olympic practices?

- How will Wiz balance offense with DEFENSE?

Posted by: bedave2 | September 13, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

When is Gil going to do some interviews? Right now it looks like he will be hijacking media day which should really be about John Wall.

And is Yi playing in the Asian Games this November? The Chinese Media seem to think so, since he's the face of basketball team and the games are taking place in his hometown.

Posted by: djnnnou | September 13, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The only question I have is whether Ernest Grunfeld will win NBA Executive of the Year this year or next. It really is that simple.

The Wizards bandwagon has been energized with a new battery (Wall) and a rebuilt transmission (Blatche, McGee, Hinrich, Jianlian). The man's eye for talent is unparalleled!

In Grunfeld We Trust!!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | September 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Nothing pressing about Arenas and Walls, thats entertainment talk. Walls perform and learn from his competitive teammate. Of pressing concern is there is very few NBA big-men to represent this franchise.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | September 13, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

If the Wizards plan to run, they'll need to make defensive rebounding a big priority along with defense, so they can get the ball after missed shots. I'm anxious to see how Flip plans to establish this priority with Booker, Seraphim, McGee, and Blatche.

Posted by: joe2chase | September 13, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I was just wondering how much of this team is a one yer rental and how many of these guys will be around next year? From Josh Howard and Gilbert Arenas to Ernie G. and Flip?

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | September 13, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

1. What position will Booker play for the Wizards? Are we going to try wish-him into being a SF like McGuire?

2. Try and find-out what the heck our rotation is going to be. Supposedly the org is about rebuilding with youth will Booker & Seraphin see anything besides garbage time this year.

Posted by: closg | September 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think a backcourt of Wall + Arenas would be fantastic. With Wall as the primary ballhandler, Gil is going to get a lot of wide-open looks at threes and iso situations. Hinrich is a great addition to the mix, too--especially on D, where Gil still has to show that he can bring some intensity and focus.

How is Blatche's health? Has the foot healed properly, and is he in good enough shape to start the season? Or are we going to see Yi in the starting lineup for a while?

Does McGee have a basic, dependable go-to move in the post yet? He looked great in Vegas with that short skyhook. If he could just focus on that rather than trying all that off-balance acrobatic stuff, he'd be much, much more effective in the short-run.

How does Nick Young fit into the picture at this point? Is he ever going to be more than just a streaky fadeaway shooter?

Posted by: pjkiger1 | September 13, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

My concerns:

Center position.

Rebounding.

Will Gilbert play defense?

How will Blatche adjust if he's no longer the focus of the offense?

Posted by: jweber1 | September 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think this team is quite over rated at the moment..... but i am concerned about our forward and center play. has javale finally grown up? hes a game changer on both defense and offense....

and do u think gil will still drop buckets as an SG?

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | September 13, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

My biggest concern is how Blatche comes back from that foot injury/surgery. I have a feeling that he's so very close to being a dominate player in this league and with the potential of Wall I can see Blatche's game really, really blossoming.

Posted by: terpwiz | September 13, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Just wonder why the Wiz didn't go after a rebounder with a trade.

Posted by: orlando_abrams | September 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I take it as a given that the team will not have more than 30 wins this year, so I'm looking at how well Flip can imprint a high-energy, sacrificing, hustling style on a young team, an ethic that will serve the team well when they bring in some more top talent next year with their high draft pick. When the losses accumulate (and they will this year), there is a danger that an "every man for himself" attitude can take over. A commitment to youth is of no use if the youth find a team with no commitment to being unselfish.

Posted by: mugsybol | September 13, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz will be a better team this year, but the competition will be better also. Watching Wall in the summer league convinced me that he will make a big difference. If JaVale and Blatch progress nicely we will have a decent team. I think they still need a few beasts who do the dirty work - rebounding, taking charges, blocking out. My prediction is that Gil and Wall will play well together. Wall will imprint a winning attitude and rest will follow.

Posted by: mandelm2001 | September 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to the up coming season. Health and Chemistry to me are the keys to us making a run at the 8th spot in the East. If we can stay healthy and gel as a team, then I don't see why we can't win 40 games with the talent we have. From a chemistry standpoint, to me it's just a matter of how long it takes for Gil and John Wall to fall into the same ebb and flow that Gil and Larry Hughes did in the year we reached the second round. If that happens, Gil and Kirk could take a lot of pressure off of John Wall and allow him flourish when he has it going.

I can't see us going any further than a low seed in the East with Javale as our center. Neither he nor Blatche are strong rebounders, and Javale has yet to develop a low post game. It was depressing watching him workout with Tyrese Evans shooting jumpers. With his athleticism, all he needs is a jump hook with both hands and he could be efficient in the post. He just strikes me as not being interested in improving in that area. That being said, if he can inch closer to Tyson Chandler's rebounding and Defense, I think we'll be okay.

I like Al Thorton and Josh Howard at the 3. I think one will come out of this year as the starter at that position for the next few years. The competition should be interesting to watch.

I expect Blatche to continue to be productive offensively and have defensive lapses throughout the year. Even with the lapses, I believe he's a much better post defender than Jamison, so I see that as plus from last year.

Just my 2 cents

Go Wiz!

Posted by: dyoung1 | September 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"3. Is Ernie really going to bring-in another washed-up Center to add to our front-court depth?Posted by: closg"

I think it's important that all are players are competently washed up prior to appearing in a game. The Lord loves a clean player. Plus there's already a lot of disease in the locker room.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"Don't you all think it has been long enough and more than enough of putting Gilbert down. I for one am willing to forgive and forget and think and hope Gilbert will give all of his naysayers something to talk about (eat crow) From everything I have heard, he has learned his lesson and is ready to get on the court and show just how valuable he is. By the way, I am a Gil fan."
Posted by: ivyleague

Do you post this every couple weeks? It sure seems like I've read it before.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Hi Michael,

3 Concerns

-Gilbert's mental maturity
-Andray's attitude
-Flips ability to get the maximum potential out of this team.

Posted by: Stevie-J | September 13, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

insider said GIL and WALL was amazing last night in open gym..wall said man i didnt know hes this good imma avg 10 asst just from him...they said he looked like they played together for ever...look out GIL and hughes WELCOME GIL and WALL..

Posted by: MrNoOne | September 13, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Wizards fans,

Everything will be fine. Just relax and prepare for a 40; maybe 50 or more win season, and a hot play-offs as well.

What is it going to take for you guys to recognize Blessings. I was going to say a Blessing but this is getting ridiculous.

The windows of Heaven are open! Whom do you think can compete with an our guard tandom? Arena's bad fortune last year was a Blessing in disguise.

So he got in a little trouble (remember; all of us get into trouble, not just stars)for backing up his man-hood in front of His team. His entire body had time to rest; and heal properly. Nobody can check him.

I love Josh Howard and Nick and every single one of our Wizards and I want ya'll to be more forgiving and buy me a beer at one of our play-off games. Oh yeah, I Love all of you as well. B-Up!

Peace & Blessings, John

PS. B-Up! stands for Bradley's Upscale, I will tell you more about my enterprise at an appropriete time. Thanks!

Posted by: upscalechef | September 13, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Arenas and Wall is a nonissue. Gil played great as a 2 guard with Larry Hughes at point.
The question is, "Where is the beef?" when we play Orlando and Superman. Etan surprised Howard with his strength, but we lack anybody with that size in the current line-up. We need to add a new wide body to the bench.

Posted by: femeref | September 13, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Most of my questions have been asked already, but what about a big man coach???

Mike, can you look into that stuff?

Thanks!

Posted by: Goelez | September 13, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"- How's Gilbert's physical (knee) & MENTAL condition?"

I have no inside info but am taking it for granted that his knee is good and his brain remains the consistency of reheated cornmeal.

"- What would be breaking point for Wiz to trade Gil? Is there a Gil for Carmelo discussion?"

Again no inside info but feel strongly that Gil will only be traded to an organization that agrees to take responsibility for his monthly paycheck. As far as Gil for Carmelo, this is a conversation Ernie has with God every night as he says his prayers.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm with jweber1 on the question of the center position.
No confidence here in Hilton Armstrong as a viable option at backup. Hoping someone good shakes loose before the season starts, as McGee cannot play 40 minutes a game (and besides, an offensive center option would be helpful during the course of any game).

Posted by: creativefunk | September 13, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Ernie signed NBA bust Hilton Armstrong and invited 35 center Sean Marks (who?) to camp (No-doubt Ernie is dying to replace Orberto with Marks). What's Ernie's next move for improving our front-court, signing another washed-up Center or bringing-on another Foreign Big-man project?

Posted by: FireGrunfeld | September 13, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

"What's Ernie's next move for improving our front-court, signing another washed-up Center or bringing-on another Foreign Big-man project?Posted by: FireGrunfeld"

Something about that phrase, 'washed-up Center' makes me think I might be reading another sock puppet.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

"We need to add a new wide body to the bench.
Posted by: femeref

I'm pretty sure Eddy Curry is available.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

My issue is, did the center position really get addressed seriously?

Based upon what Ernie did at the Center, it still appears to me that they are counting on using Blatche at Center as a major strategy.

If my mind serves me correctly, there were still Centers available who will not be playing power forward. They were true centers. Why did he not select any of them???

Were they all worse off than anything Ernie did to address the Center position?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 13, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

My two major questions are:

How much are Seraphin and Booker expected to play this year?

What is the plan to address the need for rebounding(especially defensive in the frontcourt)?

I think the organization thinks Wall is as close to a sure thing as a rookie can be, and I don't see any major reason to disagree.

Posted by: verbal8 | September 13, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

It seems we have all the pieces to have an entertaining team with one exception - Center? Do we have one?

Posted by: junkmail0153 | September 13, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

My issue is, did the center position really get addressed seriously?

Were they all worse off than anything Ernie did to address the Center position?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 13, 2010 8:17 PM |
.........................................................
Why draft young centers like Zoubek or a Samhan, when u can pay double or triple for a washed-up (I like that phrase) Center who's 10 years older. I think that's Ernie's philosophy.

Posted by: FireGrunfeld | September 13, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Were they all worse off than anything Ernie did to address the Center position?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 13, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Too soon to tell but I think it is pretty clear he wanted a distinct type of player...hardnosed, country strong and most importantly...this is a rebuilding year. First year in almost a decade there are no expectations for this team going into the season. If there was ever a draft where you could pick most like vs. most need this is it.

It also looks very much like McGee will be the starting center which I would expect you to be excited about....I know I am. Won't know till they throw it up but I expect Blatche will play most of his minutes at PF, based on recent play at that spot, and good reports of focus and work even through the injury this off season.

Mike,
Here is what I would like to know...

1. Can we get any real information (not just… they text each other) on the early state of the Wall/Arenas relationship? Is there a lead dog? Are they hanging out with each other?

2. Ask Flip or another coach if McGee is receiving guidance/instruction to play in the box more and develop go tos on the blocks? ...what specifically are the coaching staff expectations, on the offensive side of the court, for McGee as a starter this year?

3. If the Wiz had to play tomorrow name the starting lineup. I know it is camp...all start on equal ground...blah, blah...no spot determined...blah blah...but who has inside track at the SF spot with Josh Howard still recovering? Has NY sought to gain weight to become a viable candidate for the starting spot? Is NY going to act like a pro this year because it is a contract year for him?...if not he really is hopeless.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | September 13, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Concerns:

Why is EG still employed by the team?
Who is the starting center?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 13, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

What is the plan to build the Wizards team. Based on the OKC model, they used 3 to 4 years of losing & high lottery picks to build their core. They also let their players play win or lose. The Wizards got the high lottery pick and then acquired two vets that will take minutes away from they're young core. It makes no sense to me.

If the plan is the build through the draft why acquire two players (Kirk & Josh) that will only take minutes away from young players already on the team (Young, Thornton & Yi)and the vets most likely will not be around when this team is ready to content.

Why signed vets when we can have a full year to let our young players play?

Posted by: 33dgriffin | September 13, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

The least of my concerns going into the season is Arenas, Wall, and Blatche. They will be productive. I believe that so much impinge upon Flip being able to convince McGee to have that (I control the paint) attitude. He showed flashes of being a productive center toward the tail-end of last season. Moreover, points do not have to be a concern of his since Wall will have him scoring easy points anyhow. I know this is a big "if" but if McGee is motivated to be the best he can be- print the Playoff tickets. Leonsis has what it takes to be a "Great Owner." Go Wizards.

Posted by: esmith4 | September 13, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Here is the key:

Julian Tepper
Placitas, NM

Posted by: jutepper1 | September 13, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

The team will take a couple years to really show what they can do. Nothing worthwhile gets built in a day (well, except the 2007 Celtics).
Do I wish Gil fits in? Yes.
Do I want Gil to fit in? Yes.
Would it be great if Gil fit in? Yes.
Should you roll the dice on the next 2-3 years of Wall's (and the franchise's) development on whether Gil fits in?

The guy has continually shown that he's great at comebacks, great at rising up when he's dismissed, but when success is just in reach...BOOM! Self-destruction. If you think that him doing this over and over again is proof that he WON'T do it again and not a sign that the pattern of behavior is just that, a pattern, then sheez...

Oh, this year might be great as we win 35 games. Next year might be great as we break .500. But the moment we are on the cusp, the moment we have a chance to be a consistent contender, BOOM!

The only way Gil ever wins the championship is if the first thing he does after winning is, Artest-style, thank his psych.

The fact that we can't admit this is the reason we've been suffering since '78.

Posted by: minorthread | September 13, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

"ATTITUDE. ATTITUDE. ATTITUDE. ATTITUDE. ATTITUDE. ATTITUDE. ATTITUDE.
Julian Tepper
Placitas, NM"

That the desert where they grow peyote cactus? 'Cuz that post has a psychedelic quality.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

"Why draft young centers like Zoubek or a Samhan"

Let's see, Omar wasn't drafted, spent the summer playing for the Mavs, then got cut and eventually signed with Žalgiris Kaunas for 2010-2012.

Zoubek also went undrafted (all those injuries were a factor)and is currently on the Nets' roster. Not sure whether he'll still be there when the season starts.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

john wall is still learning the game. arenas is a proven 2-guard and will easily be our best player, barring injury, which should be unlikely because he's had plenty of time to heal completely.

i would never consider taking on iverson; we have enough issues. however, i would counsel him NOT to try playing in china: they don't play that... if you get my drift.

Posted by: dcjazzman | September 14, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas can't defend any NBA guard -- not one. If he is to be of ANY use to them, they'll have to hide him in a zone almost every defensive possession. No one ever seems to stand up and say the obvious -- he plays nothing but matador defense and there is no way any team that depends on him will ever be a winner. Can he adjust to playing "off the ball" on offense? Sure. Can he learn to play any defense at all? He's way past the point of learning how to defend -- he's spent a lifetime not having a clue and never losing minutes of playing time as a result.

Posted by: dolph924 | September 14, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Will EITHER of their two late-first-round picks get any minutes this year? It seems that all over the net folks grading the draft looked at those two and say "wasted picks." I don't know enough about them to argue one way or the other. If either one of them turns into a good pro, then this was a great draft; if both are complete busts, then Grunfeld missed his shot at some pretty decent players, as this was a very deep draft. McGee, Blatche, Wall and Hinrich are keepers (IMO). Anyone else? I hope so! If Howard is back from his injury, add him to the list. After that, it's all question marks (other than Arenas). If they can offload Arenas's bloated salary for anything at all, including someone whose career is over but contract is up at the end of this year, they should jump at the chance. He has no long run place on this team. Nick Young doesn't bring much to the party and he's had his chance to prove otherwise. Yi? Maybe -- at least there is a chance of him developing, provided he gains 35 pounds of muscle. They appear to be lottery bound again and maybe they can get lucky again.

Posted by: dolph924 | September 14, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 12:38 AM |
...............................................................................................

This is what actually happened with Samham.

Unfortunately because of a logjam on the Mavericks front-court with the likes of newly re-signed Brendan Haywood, freshly traded for Tyson Chandler, Alex Ajinca, and Ian Mahimni, Dallas was unable to offer the jovial big man a guaranteed contract.

Mavs coach Don Nelson, who still has a number of European contacts, helped broker a two year guaranteed deal for Samhan, with a buy-out after the first year if an NBA team comes calling.

Contrast this^^ with how Grunfeld handled Hamady N' Diaye

With less than four weeks to go before the Washington Wizards open training camp, second-round draft pick Hamady N’Diaye remains unsigned, and thanks to a very limited showing at the Las Vegas Summer League, he has very few options as he awaits a tender.
“We did have an interest in going to Europe,” said Keith Glass, N’Diaye’s agent. “But what happened in the summer has ramifications, and it can’t just have ramifications for Hamady.”

Again, the contrast between how the Mavs handled Shamam, (even though they have a completely stacked front court) and the way the Wizards dealt with Hamady is an embarrassment. Ernie Grunfeld is a hack-GM. But have faith, the late addition of a "washed-up" vet to shore-up the front court is just around the corner.

Posted by: FireGrunfeld | September 14, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I think that a lot of naysayers are really sleeping on the PG position which John Wall occupies. The PG's primary responsibility is to distribute and get everybody into the game. Kentucky had (for the first time ever in the history of any school) what 4 or 5 first round draft picks. Were all of these guys really that good. I doubt it. I think that it's primarily due to the insertion of John Wall at the PG position.
Now also keep in mind the the SG for Kentucky also played PG in High School. Did he decide to bolt to another school when he found out Wall was going there. Heck no, Wall makes all of his teamates better. (Let me repeat that.) Wall makes his teamates better. That's what a great PG does.

Just look at how dominate Javale was in summer league. Now I know he's a summer league standout already; however, he was much more dominate with a setup PG on his team.

So, do you really think that Gil, who mind you is really a SG who has had to maintain the job of a PG because the Wiz never really had one, is going to mind being able to know that; 1) He doesn't have to be the leader since he never wanted to before anyway and 2) Doesn't have to worry about disbributing the rock since he wasn't sure when he should or shouldn't last year. It clears him to just SHOOT THE DAM BALL.

I'm looking forward to a very exciting year. DC basketball fan forever.

Posted by: justman1 | September 14, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Saunders got a free pass last year due to the circumstances. Will he be held more accountable for the decisions he make this year. He needs to "become the Wizards coach" and desist with his Minnesota rep or his Kevin Garnett stories. Ex., he should have backed Javal vs Garnett last year. He should build his players up and back them. I think the Wizards are a young and fast team that should be able to play a speedy game. They have a decent starting 4. Blatche, McGhee, Wall and Arenas. and some solid subs. What will Saunders do to fill in the pieces?

Posted by: bobilly1 | September 14, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dolph924 | September 14, 2010 1:16 AM

Are you sure you know anything about the game of basketball???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 14, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Concerns:

Why is EG still employed by the team?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | September 13, 2010 9:19 PM

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | September 14, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dolph924 | September 14, 2010 1:16 AM

Are you sure you know anything about the game of basketball???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 14, 2010 8:33 AM

Are you?

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | September 14, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dolph924 | September 14, 2010 1:33 AM

This comment is about as irrational as them fake wannabe that never been to Texas Dallas Cowboy fans that live rounds here.

They claim they are Dallas Cowboy Fans but fail to realize that they aren't and is probably why they are so irrational when you talk to them, just like that basketball statement you just made about the Wizards.

For real. Unload Gilbert for a overthehill expiring contract. What?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 14, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

They want to cut off their nose despite their face.

They still spewing venom based on their "hate" of Gil, despite what Leonsis has said. Gil ain't going nowhere!

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 14, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I like the Wiz on paper; they have a solid 3 guard rotation w/ a wild card in Nick Young, two scrappy SF's in Howard and Thornton, & a youthful competition in the frontcourt for PT amongst 7 players in the frontcourt (AB, McGee, Yi, Armstrong, Seraphin, N'Diaye, Booker).

?: Can the Wiz get by w/ "9 milli" (yes, that would be a new nickname for Gil) and Nick guarding NBA 2's

can Yi and AB be tougher PF's/ Can Hilton & McGee be tougher C's

Posted by: bernard_thompson | September 14, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

re: EGs handling of N’Diaye....sounds like there is zero interest in him from euro clubs because (according to his agent) he didnt play much in summer league. Of course those who watched summer league will remember he looked completely lost and certainly did nothing to help his own case.

However isnt it better for the Wiz if no euro-clubs come calling for him? If he has no other options, then we can assign him to the DLeague and develop him however we want right?

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FireGrunfeld | September 14, 2010 6:15 AM

Right. It's Grunfeld's fault that Hamady is a stiff with no offensive game to speak of? Look, on his best day, Hamady isn't even within sniffing distance of Samhan; therefore, Samhan had options and N'Diaye didn't.

N'Diaye is a poor man's (I mean a flat-broke man's) Thabeet. Now let's stop with the nonsense.

Posted by: harrybalz | September 14, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: FireGrunfeld"

I always like to be careful with sock puppets (which is what I suspect the above is). Cites sources as if they're equivalent, but one is "a lifelong NBA and NCAA College Basketball fan who watches and studies games religiously,and coaches youth basketball in his native Lehigh Valley region of Pennsylvania," and the other is the Examiner. Those aren't equivalent, at least in sports terms. You could argue that the blog is better, but it's still a blog -- meaning the stories don't receive fact-checking. That's partly why blogs are a favorite for team puff pieces.

Omar's a good guy with a lot of skills. Everybody likes him and wants to help him, although they recognize he's probably overmatched talent-wise in the NBA. I was surprised he wasn't drafted, and surprised that Ndiaye was. Both were evaluated largely on the basis of a short run of play. If it was me, I'd probably have drafted Samhan.

One center who was probably picked by many scouts to be drafted above either was Art Parakoushki of Radford. He also went undrafted.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I realize that this question will reveal that I'm woefully out of touch, but Samson151, what's a sock puppet?

Posted by: harrybalz | September 14, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"what's a sock puppet?"

Wiki: "A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet. In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second identities of people who already post in a forum or blog to include other uses of misleading online identities. For example, a New York Times article claims that "sockpuppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one's self, allies or company."[2] The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym (sometimes termed an "alt" which is short for alternate, as in alternate identity) is the pretense that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the puppeteer or acting under their control for their benefit."

Of course, I'm assuming 'HarryBalz' isn't one.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FergusonFoont | September 14, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 9:47 AM"

Lol. Thanks.

Posted by: harrybalz | September 14, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"It's Grunfeld's fault that Hamady is a stiff with no offensive game to speak of?"

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"If we run a lineup of McGee at center, Blatche and Howard at forward, and Arenas and Wall at guard, well, we are going to be a very tough team for anyone else to handle. I don't see any team matching up well against us, not even Miami.Posted by: FergusonFoon"

That's one way to look at it. Miami is clearly better at PG (Wade), and both forwards (Bosh & James).

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Well, he did draft him right? Directly ahead of Caracter and Robinson...both of whom showed well enough to already have been signed by their clubs (Lakers and Magic).
Posted by: divi3"

Don't forget to mention that NBA GMs picked 57 players ahead of Caracter and Robinson, and only one after them.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 10:00 AM

I agree with that, divi3, but that's a different argument than the one put forth by FireGrunfeld, right?

Posted by: harrybalz | September 14, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

One other concern: This players-playing-multiple-positions tendency of EG. I understand the value of flexibility and match-ups, etc. I'm not saying never do it. But my generalization is 1) it tends to confuse young players and 2) you rarely see the elite teams mess around with it. Whenever I hear Blatche will spend some time at center or Yi can play the 3, 4 and 5, it tells me players don't know what their roles are. Develop players to play specific positions with clear roles and be patient.

Posted by: jweber1 | September 14, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

My greatest concern is whether Flip is the best coach for an inexperienced basketball team.

Flip signed up to coach a veteran team. He showed no patience last season with Nick Young, McGuire, Blatche or McGee until after the trade. Opting instead for Oberto, "Dribble & Shoot"(Boykins) and Stevenson even after the ship was obviously sinking.

Will he try to make JWall into Chauncey Billups like he tried to do with Gilbert or let JWall be JWall?

Which Yi will we see? The one on display in the FIBA World Cup or the super softy from NJ?

Posted by: bozomoeman | September 14, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

It's a good question though: why do players fall precipitously in the draft?

I can think of several reasons.

1) they were overrated to begin with, by the media and websites that make projections. This is probably pretty common. NBAdraft.net, for instance, rates foreign players higher than NBA teams usually do.

2) Team needs. An obvious factor. Some years everyone's looking for a center; other years, not so much.

3) Side questions about a player. With Blair and Sol Alabi, it was medical; with Caracter, his rocky history in college. Anything that can make a GM suspicious about bust potential.

Anything I forgot?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"But my generalization is 1) it tends to confuse young players and 2) you rarely see the elite teams mess around with it."

Not so rare. Lamar Odom with the Lakers is one example. Ginobili plays multiple roles with the Spurs. Among young players, Al Horford with the Hawks. What position does LeBron play? Kobe Bryant? Kevin Durant? Derrick Rose moved over to SG at times last season. We'll see Evan Turner and Derrick Favors play more than one position with their teams this year.

Teams want players who allow them to gain matchup advantages against opponents.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 10:10 AM

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Clearly Samson151 is an apologist or "Sock Puppet" for the Team Grunfeld

Posted by: closg | September 14, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bozomoeman | September 14, 2010 10:28 AM

They may be one and the same right? Most of those FIBA teams are really not very good at all in comparison to the nba squads Yi faces on a nightly basis here.

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Clearly, closg is an idiot.

GMs swing and miss all the time in the draft. Especially with second round picks. And before any of you get carried away with Caracter or Robinson, keep this is mind: neither has proven a thing in the NBA.

Posted by: gtown85 | September 14, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

...keep this in mind:...

Posted by: gtown85 | September 14, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

What bothers me is N'Diaye looked utterly incompetent in Summer league. As skinny as Javale used to be but not as athletic and totally lost defensively with NOTHING on offense. Now maybe that wasnt an indicator of what he ends of being.

But if he's not even associated with the team next season....I find it a failing that EG and the scouts looked at him as well as Caracter (who at least appears to be able to play) and went with him.

I mean the Lakers have arguably the best frontcourt in the league and they've already signed Caracter, whereas we've got Hilton Armstrong yet N'Diaye may not be offered a contract.

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I think EG drafted N-Diaye with the express purpose of labelling him a "project", not signing him, then "stashing" him. Bad move!

Posted by: G-Man11 | September 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@G-Man11, divi3:

Are you saying it's a bad move to draft projects? Blatche was one. To a lesser degree so was McGee (based on his higher draft position). I generally don't have a problem with it, as long as the project in question is not drafted too high.

Caracter, in particular, had issues that legitimately lowered his stock. His weight and his 'tude. Is he this year's DeJuan Blair. No, imo. Does he have the upside of a Blatche? No, imo. Based on his play alone, is he better than N'Diaye? Yes, imo.

Posted by: gtown85 | September 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Of course, the scenario hasnt played out yet so no judgments can be made

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtown85 | September 14, 2010 11:10 AM
........................................

But it is ONLY Ernie Grunfeld who has already FAILED with his 2nd round selection. EVERY OTHER NBA TEAM has accomplished one of the following with their 2nd-round pick:

1. Signed their 2nd-round pick
2. Traded their 2nd-round pick for future pick(s)or players
3. Have their 2nd-round pick playing overseas or in the D-League.

The sole exception to the above? You guessed-it, Ernie Grunfeld.

gtown85 is a fool!

Posted by: closg | September 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: closg | September 14, 2010 12:17 PM"

Ernie has already failed with his 2d round selection?

Let me help me with your faulty logic. If it is announced prior to training camp that N'Diaye has signed with the Wizards, is going to the D-League or has signed an overseas contract, is it still a failure? My point is the situation has not played itself out to such extent to be properly labeled a "failure".

You sound like the type of guy who is convinced that a seed will never turn into a plant until the second you see green poking up through the soil. It's okay. You're closg.

Posted by: gtown85 | September 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Teams want players who allow them to gain matchup advantages against opponents.

Posted by: Samson151

I think there's a little bit of differentiation to be made between players whose talent exceeds a particular position label -- like LeBron and Durant -- and the guys like Booker and Seraphin (which I where I think the original sock-....er, poster was going).

It certainly depends on the player and their background / experience, but I think it makes sense to simplify things for young players (in all sports), then as they grow, let them grow into being multi-positional players.

It seems to me like the NBA is in a mode where GMs are caught between finding players who fit a particular position based on measurables (sort of the old school) versus finding guys who just know how to ball but may not have a classic position in the pros (a little more new school). I think that may have been more behind the drafting of Booker rather than a specific desire for a multi-positional player.

Posted by: ts35 | September 14, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the scenario hasnt played out yet so no judgments can be made

Posted by: divi3

I sort of agree with you and sort of don't. Where I don't: Through what I read of the scouting, Caracter presents as an offensive minded PF in the pros, N'Diaye as a defensive-minded C in the pros. They already have Blatche, they just drafted Seraphin and Booker, so it would seem like Caracter would be a little redundant. Whereas at C they have McGee, and probably Seraphin, which represents a lot of question marks at C. (And we're still talking about them trying to fill that void in). And we still have questions about the team D, so on that level, a defensive-minded C makes more sense. Also, on some level, it's easier for the Lakers to take a guy like Caracter because they are already set in so many places and have a strong culture in place. They don't need him to produce, anything he gives them is a bonus.

Where I do agree: At this point, they should just be looking for the best talent, especially at the end of the second. Even if the best guy where they picked in the second had been a PG, take him, up the talent base of the roster and figure the rest out later. Maybe he becomes a trade piece later (like Collison did for NOH). So if they thought Caracter (or Robinson) was a better player (factoring in any character issues), that's who they should have taken. But I guess that's ultimately more of a draft philosophy question.

And it still remains to be seen how each develops as a pro, keeping in mind that Caracter was a featured part of the Lakers Summer League team, NdIaye wasn't. And that Caracter was still playing against guys essentially the same level as those he played against in college.

Posted by: ts35 | September 14, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtown85
..........................................

Re: Point #1, I am aware of the pre-deadline "tender", but the team would prefer that Hamady play overseas but as his agent pointed-out, there has been little interest because the Wizards tossed Hamady out-there in the last SL game and he looked horrible. Hamady isn't even invited to camp as-of today.

Again, Hamady is in Limbo, the only 2nd rounder that is.

Posted by: closg | September 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

there was some talk of an Italian league team being interested in him, though I dont know what became of that. I'm also not one to assume those clubs automatically represent a higher level of competition and talent than the DLeague, but at least we'd have his rights without holding a roster spot

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm optimistic and pessimistic about this ball club at the same time. Optimistic about the upcoming season, as I think we'll be improved over last year. What I'm a little worried about is, unlike OKC, we are not starting with a bare cupboard. They had multiple drafts of high picks to build what they have now. We might play ourselves back into the late teens of picks again, stunting our growth.

SacTown succeeded at this with Evans and Cousins consecutively.

We have nothing for a 5 pick last year (though considering we almost definitely would've taken Rubio, I'm fine with that). Wall for this year is great. But with Blatche coming into his own, and Arenas coming back even healthier than last year, it's hard to think we'll have a top 8 pick next draft.

I think next offseason is going to be big for us. Trades and maybe picking up some young, but solid RFAs, if possible, will be the way to go. I doubt Horford, Noah, Oden, or Marc Gasol can be gotten without a major trade, but Corey Brewer might be possible. He would add youth and good defense on the wing. Chandler is really the only viable option out there to improve our center position, but I'm not sure I'd want to overpay for a 28 year old center who's already been injury prone for the last few years.

Posted by: segastyle | September 14, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Again, Hamady is in Limbo, the only 2nd rounder that is.

Posted by: closg | September 14, 2010 1:25 PM

"Tossed him out there"? Lol.

You seem to be saying it's the Wizards' fault that N'Diaye didn't receive an offer to play overseas.

1) N'Diaye has his college play on tape/film. Doesn't that count for something?

2) N'Diaye got minutes in the last game and did not look good. That's on him. The Wizards' other option would have been to not play him at all. I don't see how that would've helped him. Seems in your view they're damned if the do, damned if they don't.

Posted by: gtown85 | September 14, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

BTW - The Wizards have good scouts and they did pick-out some good prospects to come in for pre-draft workouts: Caracter, Ebanks, and many others, it's just that (I'm sorry) Ernie made a poor choice with 56 (we could even debate 23). If Hamady were even a marginal big, a team overseas would have already locked him up and would have been our stash. If Hamady fails to land an overseas contract, I seriously doubt we keep him.

Posted by: closg | September 14, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

given he's a 4yr collegiate player who is older than Mcgee yet couldnt even look decent in summer league....the correct option may have been to not draft him at all. time will tell!

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It is rather damning that a 7-footer who has played college basketball can't get an overseas contract. N'Diaye had better at least get a chance in the D-League or it's clear that Ernie made a mistake given the fact that guys drafted after N'Diaye were clearly better basketball players, albeit with "issues". The second round is made for the latter group, imho, since they don't necessarily get guaranteed contracts.

Posted by: tgif11 | September 14, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

it doesnt seem to me that sending NDiaye to a French or Italian league has much probability of working out for us. Aside from the fact that when it happens you have absolutely no control whatsoever how the player is developed....there's the fact you are taking a French speaking guy and putting him in Italy or France while paying him great money. If he's any good, he'll play well against that level of competition and they'll be willing to pay him more and move him into a higher league.

At that point you're just hoping this player who didnt play basketball or watch nba as a kid has a burning desire to work his butt off and get back to the nba where he can possibly be a bench contributor. Earning less money. Rather than keeping the terrific life he has going for himself in Europe.

Huh?

Posted by: divi3 | September 14, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Personally I dont buy into the whole "everyone else screwed up too" line that is generally trotted out when our drafts are reviewed.Posted by: divi3"

Well, let's say it's time for your annual performance evaluation. You score 60% overall. Your boss says he expects at least 80% from his employees, so you don't get an increase. You argue that nearly everyone else with your job description got scores below 80%, too, and some of them got increases, so you don't think you should be singled out as substandard, because in your view, you're not. He replies that he doesn't buy this1 'everyone else screwed up, too' argument. Do you thnk he's correct in his interpretation?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"I'm saying that if you scout 2 players and one ends up as a contributor on the Lakers but you picked the guy who isnt in the nba a year later....you done effed up.Posted by: divi3"

Would that include a player who takes more than a year to develop into an NBA roster player?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"Clearly Samson151 is an apologist or "Sock Puppet" for the Team GrunfeldPosted by: closg"

So FireGrunfeld is your sock puppet? Not surprising.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

My biggest concerns are chemestry and interior defense. The team has a lot of young talent, but can Flip raise the basketball IQ of the young bigs?

Posted by: tumrani | September 14, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I've read a lot of great posts, but I'd like to know the following things: 1) Are we going to play some interior defense this year, rebound consistently, and close down the lane from people driving down the middle? 2) Can we get someone, anyone, that can effectively coach our big men on the nuances of playing good, sound, fundamental basketball? 3) Will we be the team that finally gives Lester Hudson an honest to goodness chance to make a team? and lastly......can we get some black unis, using the current color scheme? If it worked wonders and made a small mint for Orlando, Chicago, Miami, and of all places..Boston, I suspect it will catch on here!

Posted by: kappakidtoo | September 14, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

can we get some black unis, using the current color scheme?

Oh, please no . . . would be incredibly ugly.

Posted by: nmik | September 15, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse