Adam Morrison, Sean Marks released [UPDATED]

The Wizards on Thursday released former No. 3 overall pick Adam Morrison and 10-year veteran Sean Marks. Their roster now stands at 15, with Cartier Martin, Lester Hudson and Hamady Ndiaye still hoping to make the final roster on Oct. 25.

Morrison's agent, Aaron Mintz, confirmed the release in a text message earlier Thursday afternoon. The team made an official announcement a few hours later. Morrison, whom Michael Jordan chose as his first choice after joining the Charlotte Bobcats in 2006, won two championships with the Los Angeles Lakers the past two seasons but has not seen significant action since his rookie year in Charlotte. His career has never rebounded from a severe left knee injury suffered prior to his second year.

In preseason four games, Morrison averaged five points. He scored eight points in the Wizards' 98-92 loss in the preseason finale against Detroit on Tuesday and Coach Flip Saunders said he "did some good things." But it wasn't enough to secure a spot.

"Tough cuts," Saunders said. "Adam did a lot of positive things. He's just probably not there yet. I think there is no question that he can play in this league and can be effective, but the way our numbers were and everything else, Josh [Howard] is a little bit ahead of schedule, from where we think he is. It's not going to be as long as everyone anticipated.

Marks was the most experienced big man in camp, having served as "Tim Duncan's practice dummy" in San Antonio and also playing in Phoenix, Miami, Toronto and New Orleans. But the 35-year-old center never had an opportunity to display his abilities after pulling his right hamstring in the first week at George Mason's Patriot Center. Marks tried to return and aggravated the injury. He returned to practice on Monday but didn't appear in any preseason games.

"Sean was hurt a lot. It made it extremely tough," Saunders said. "We had so many big young guys, so it just became more of a numbers thing."

The roster is not finalized, Saunders said, with the Wizards planning to evaluate Martin, Hudson and Ndiaye over the next few days. The Wizards still need bodies for practice, with Josh Howard yet to recover from his left injury. They can also hold on to all three players without having their contracts become fully guaranteed until January.

"In this league, you're never on until you're on," Saunders said, adding that Martin, Hudson and Ndiaye "better approach every day like, they are not on. Especially with a young team and guys that are hungry to play. They've got opportunities and they've got to take advantage of those opportunities. They made it through the first couple of swings here but you got to still go out there with the positive attitude and go out there and produce everyday."

After practice, Howard said that he has no timetable for his return and will remain patient with his recovery. "Being a vet, dealing with injuries early in my career, it's something that comes with the territory," he said. "I just can't be forcing myself out there. Just get out there when I'm ready."

"I feel good everyday," Howard said. "Just coming in with a positive attitude, knowing that I can work. Not being anxious to get out there too early. I love the game of basketball, love my teammates, just fun to watch those guys play. Don't want to force myself out there too early."

Saunders said Gilbert Arenas (mild right groin strain) practiced on Thursday, but Kirk Hinrich was forced to sit out of contact stuff after developing a charlie horse.

By Alexa Steele  | October 21, 2010; 4:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards still facing decisions for final roster
Next: Wizards serve steaks to military veterans

Comments

Bummer for Marks in that he never had a chance to show he could do anything, but I'm fine with both of those cuts. Depending on what they do with H, I'm hoping they cull the lists to pick up a bargain or two.

Posted by: ts35 | October 21, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

good, adam morrison was horrible, was too scared to do anything with the ball

Posted by: skinsfan09 | October 21, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Excellent.

Posted by: gtefferra | October 21, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean that big Lester Hudson and Cartier Martin have both made the team? I know they have plenty of time to cut others but I believe the Wiz really like both along with H.

I guess you can always cut someone during the season if someone else becomes available later.

I like LH, but he's not a point guard, he's a catch and shoot player who can play D and really stroke it. (but he's only 6'2")

Posted by: zxhoya | October 21, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zxhoya

He's definitely serviceable though as your 3rd (or 4th on this team) PG. I agree though, he's a solid shooter and knows to get after it on D if he wants to play. Same with Martin.

Posted by: ts35 | October 21, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"They need more gards,i do not like what i saw on Arenas, he might hang his uniform permanently.Posted by: gtefferra"

? Did I miss something new with Gil?

Posted by: zxhoya | October 21, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Man I don't understand people who get on here and say stuff that isn't factual. First of all all these guys are good basketball players. Second just about every comment on here is either wrong or unnecessary. It's fine that everyone has an opinion....but when you post it be somewhat truthful....

If you ask the Wizards announcer who played the most inspired last pre-season game and opened his eyes a little with his all around game....it was Morrison....Morrison is playing team ball he learned that concept from the Lakers. Yes Morrison is the best shooter on the team and may lack in other areas.....the guy can play and he can fill a role if Flip thinks he needs them...Lay off the guy the comments in this board is so far from the actual truth of the matter it's sickening....

I think Martin should make the team but I think Morrison brings a different game....the teammates missed him several times in that last game with open looks which turned into turnovers by Wall....every player makes mistakes....No one said anything when Morrison had 3 offensive rebounds in one preseason game that led the team in 16 minutes of action....come on people all these guys bring something to the table...

I'm looking at the pre-season stats if you evened out the minutes between Young, Martin and Morrison it's pretty shocking how good Morrison's so called lack of play stacks up....

Best shooting Percentage Martin
Least- Morrison
Most Steals- Martin
Least- Young
Most Turnovers Martin
Least- Morrison
Free throw Percentage Morrison 100% Young 66% Martin 50%

This is the numbers boys in the pre-season actually between the three Morrison isn't last in one category.....So before you judge on what the reports say or what you hear maybe you should look at the numbers before making a far fetched assumption. Because reporters know nothing they like to stir up controversy to get attention and unfortunately there our suckers out there that buy into like you that believes it....

Morrison had a major knee injury....it takes time to recover he was the 13th man on a Lakers team (Not 15 like someone said earlier) The guy learned alot from watching now he is trying to prove the world that he can play.....he doesn't need to prove anything to himself.....he is trying to win and be a part of the team... And saying he can't create his own shot or shoot with a man in his face is absurd....Lol the guy was the best shooter on the court in college in whatever situation....Man I remember when Gonzaga(Morrison) and Eastern Washington(Stuckey) played against each other Stuckey had 25 and Morrison had 29....Didn't Stuckey have 34 against the Wiz..

I hope everyone feels better about all the negative untrue comments about Morrison since he didn't make the team...

Posted by: twentyrevs | October 21, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

First Charlotte and now the Heat, with the curse following ex Les BouleS players.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 21, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: twentyrevs | October 21, 2010 4:41 PM

Sorry it didn't work out, Adam. Hopefully you can catch on somewhere else.

Posted by: divi3 | October 21, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

martin can shoot just as good as morrison, martin is better in every other aspect

Posted by: skinsfan09 | October 21, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: twentyrevs | October 21, 2010 4:41 PM

Numbers/Stats don't mean everything. Dude is no help for this team. Waste of bench space. I want a player at the end of the bench that's actually going to push the starters.He's proven he can do ZIPPY in this league. Great college player though...

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 21, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

twentyrevs...Thank you.

I too noticed the rebounds, the assists and the willingness to play team basketball.

I'm sorry he's gone and I think it should have been Hudson and not AdMo.

I do not think we have heard the last of AdMo.

Posted by: spoooooooon | October 21, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I do not think we have heard the last of AdMo.

Posted by: spoooooooon | October 21, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Comment of the day

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 21, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys talking about with Hudson? The guy is a bum. He cannot shoot. He shot like 30% through preaseason, including too many ill-advised 3s. I pray the cut the guy.

Posted by: Matte | October 21, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Lester Hudson could have the ablity to be a Roger Mason type of guy off the bench. Not a pure point guard, but one that can play it well enough to come off the bench. Big thing will be, can he develop the talent of coming in off the bench and canning a 3 when needed like Mason did?

Cartier Martin did some good things on the team last spring, I think he made the club off of that effort. One thing I like, both guys get after it defensively. That's a good start.

Remains to be seen if Ernie has any luck with N'Diaye finding a contract somewhere in Europe. I think the plan was to stockpile him for a year or two so he could possibly fill out his body and game a little. Thing about second rounders, a team can carry them for two years developing them and then somebody can sign them away. I think Ernie hoped to extend that period with N'Diaye thinking he's going to be more NBA ready in a couple of years.

Seraphin was about as green as we expected he'd be coming out of the French League.
Reminds me some of Ben Wallace when he walked on with the Bullets years ago, seems to be some potential there.

I know the rumor back at the draft was that Seraphin was looking for a quarentee not to go to D League. That was then, this is now, unless he got it in his contract I would think the Wizards should consider some D League time for both Seraphin and H.

I'm keeping my eye on Morrison, it's a few years off, but he'd make a great pickup for an over 35 Y league team...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 21, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The NBA wants to chop player salaries by ONE-THIRD in the next CBA. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5711172

I know that this is just a negotiating positiion, but the fact that they announced it publicly is going to make it a lot harder to back down from. There is NO WAY the NBAPA goes along with that, or anything close to it, willingly. Seems to me that a lockout is likely next summer.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Gil looked great "on the basketball court" in preseason. What didn't you like about Gil "playing basketball" on the court?

He played defense well and shared the ball with his team mates. He got steals and rebounds.

He also played well with Wall which everyone questioned.

Lester Hudson can definitely be a point guard in this league. Two guards are converted to ones all the time especially one that plays D for 92 feet and gets buckets, and has hit two game winners for us. We let him go and he definitely gets a shot somewhere based on his resume in summer leauge and what he did on the collegiate level. He is new to the league too and needs to make adjustments. This isn't summer league anymore. Its a whole new ball game now. This is why he looked a little shaky at the point guard spot. He'll have to learn how to play the 1 but Lester is a gamer. He definitely makes my team if the numbers game is going right.

I like our team from player 1-15 for the first time in years. Can you imagine when Josh Howard is healthy. We are going to have a chance to steal a lot of ball games this year. We'll loose some that are winnable too but I'll take it. We are young but at least we are rebuilding the right way for a change.

Posted by: JWADE4 | October 21, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Lester Hudson has the ability to be our Microwave. And his defensive potential is better than Vinnie Johnson's. I agree with JWADE4, there's a lot to like about this team 1-15.

And I also agree with flohrtv that Ndiaye and Seraphin could really gain some needed experience in the Developmental League. They're unlikely to see much game action otherwise. But if they earn their spurs in the D League, they could be called up to help out in 2011.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 21, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

At best, Morrison is/was a one-dimensional luxury that the Wizards can't carry.

He might - might - be able to score some quick points in certain situations. Against, mediocre defenders. You simply can't play him against top flight players.

That's it. He can't rebound, play defense or do anything else.

Based on what this team needs, they couldn't afford to keep such a player.

The guys they kept are only marginally better.

We're talking about the #14 and #15 players on a team that may win 35-40 games. At best.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 21, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@twentyrevs

Were we watching the same preseason games? Morrison looked like he was hanging on for dear life from what I saw. He has no future here, which is what we are building for, so.....good luck elsewhere.

Posted by: dfresh58 | October 21, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

My sources tell me Cartier Martin has made the Wizards. Stay tuned for more breaking news from Barno.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Spot Morrison in the corner for a 3. If the roster had 25 places, you could afford him, maybe.

Posted by: joe2chase | October 21, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I see Sports Illustrated has ranked the Wiz 22nd in the NBA, right after the Knicks and ahead of Charlotte, Detroit, Cleveland, the Nets, etc. Surprisingly, they have the Raptors dead last.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 21, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

why not just sign Micheal redd and kenyon martin and keep n'jaiye and be done with it! kenyon for the heart and micheal redd for the shooter were lacking and he is a pure two coming of the bench!!

Posted by: JBUGSY | October 21, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

ESPN Tweet

@jadande Been told by people inside and outside the league that teams, not the NBA, make their preseason schedules. Still don't like back-2-backs

If this is true then I wonder why the Wizards schedule so few preseason home games.

Posted by: djnnnou | October 21, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Even as a 4th option at PG, Hudson has struggled -- at least on the offensive end. Defensively he can cover both guard positions, and as a SG he's a nice option to have. Imagine he's a good guy to have around for practices too.

Posted by: JPRS | October 22, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

"Good to see that N'Daiye made the cut for now. Seems like there's some potential upside, good work ethic, and a good locker room presence.Posted by: JPRS"

Also he seems to have received a shot of NBA Magic Growth Juice -- listed in the Post as 7-1.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 22, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

I think---unfortunately---that this team will definitely steal some games this season, and surprise some people. It seems like a team that might build an identity around the "nobody expects us to be anything, let's show 'em" mindset.

Here's the problem. Allen Iverson got to the Sixers and immediately transformed them into a team that was good enough to never again get a good draft pick. So (with the exception of one or two years---years in which I'd argue the talent level in the East was hurting) they spent most of his career good enough to make the playoffs (i.e. no good draft picks) and bad enough to never really have a shot at winning it all. And yes, I know they made the finals one year, but most years with AI they were mediocre.

So--unless the fact that we only have two legit big men really DOES come back to bite us hard--I'm thinking we are going to be right on the bubble of the playoffs in the East. In either case, it will be hard to get a difference-making big in the draft.

So while I'd like to see us win a bunch of games we shouldn't, and be an exciting team, it seems to me that the best thing for this team, long-term, would be to see (a) Arenas come back strong (with a good attitude), because great NBA teams need more than one star; and (b) have the team still struggle through its growing pains so we could get one more high lottery pick---ideally an excellent big man.

Then again, if Howard comes back and can regain form quickly, if Blatche continues the maturation process and learns to combine his skills with actual effort consistently, and if McGee can make the leap from Summer League Star to a legit NBA center (all enormous 'ifs'), the team REALLY might surprise and---this would be the over-the-moon best case scenario---grab a 4th or 5th seed in the East. That would be interesting.

Posted by: psdfx | October 22, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

P.S. I'm not saying John Wall is ANYthing like Allen Iverson. Wall has way more point guard in him than AI ever did. The point is that sometimes a superstar can raise the level of his team to the point that they will always be competitive... and once competitive, it becomes hard to get real help in the draft unless you find a gem late.

Posted by: psdfx | October 22, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

In Grunfeld We Trust...... NOT.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 22, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this was the final horn on Morrison's NBA career. It's hard to believe someone won't give him another shot in a league where Kwame Brown still gets paid (of course, he's getting paid by the same guy who drafted Morrison, so that might say something). It's one thing to be a top pick who fails to live up to expectations, but to be a #3 overall pick who's out of the league after his rookie deal expires is kinda sad.

(I still think he may be the single worst defensive player I've ever seen in an NBA uniform, though.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | October 21, 2010 9:12 PM

Why is that surprising? The Raptors were a lousy team with Bosh. Having lost Bosh and gotten nothing in return for him, what reason would there be to think they'd be any better going forward? Those other teams have at least a faint reason to think they'll be better than absolutely terrible. Can't really see any for Toronto.

Andrea Bargnani is now their go-to guy. That cannot bode well.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Kwame can push people around, drop some hammers, grab a reb now and again. When you're close to 7' and built like a truck, there's something for you to do in the nba.

Looks like he never came all the way back from the knee, because his rookie year he could get his shot off.

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Josh Howard?
This is why this team will never be a championship team.
He's in the east now they bang more in the east. This is not the West Coast!
Keep one of the guys on the bubble and let this injured player GO!

Will someone else start another Pro Basketball league!
This country have many millionares to start another league.
That would be great! A league with 16 teams!
This also goes for the NFL!

Posted by: shamken | October 22, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of former #3 pick washouts: The Bobcats waived Darius Miles.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"I wonder if this was the final horn on Morrison's NBA career. It's hard to believe someone won't give him another shot in a league where Kwame Brown still gets paid"

The difference, of course is Kwame is 7 foot. Big man is always valued more in this league; especially in the East, Teams stock them in order to have 6 more fouls to use on Dwight Howard.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"Morrison supposedly can hit 3s, but only as long as no one is anywhere near him and he is allowed to spot-up with the defense oblivious to what he was doing. That's not nba talent."

Steve Kerr, Eddie House, Pat Garrity, and many, many others who drew NBA paychecks doing just that would disagree.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Dropping both Marks and Morrison was a no-brainer. Could either of these two help a mediocre NBA team in the final bench spot? Probably. But that is not what the Wizards are looking for right now. Leonsis has been very explicit about this. The Wizards are looking to improve primarily through the draft. That means the last spots on the teams will go to young, draft prospects, not veterans on the comeback bubble. These rookies may be projects, but if one or two of them pan out, it will be a long term bonus.
As for the comment about Gil hanging up his uniform, that is ridiculous. Gil is still the best player on this team, hands down. John Wall will surpass him, in time, but not yet, and certainly not until he improves his jumpshot. Gil is doing exactly what he said he was going to do, perform as a support player to Wall in order to facilitate Wall's improvement. However, and mark my words, as soon as the game arrives where Wall is having a bad day, Gil is going to take the reins and blow it out for 30+ points.

Posted by: pezzypezpez | October 22, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

oi!!! the idiocy on here today is breathtaking. First, Adam's mom goes on and posts how great he is.

Then someone says that AI's brilliance is why the sixers could never win aything. Really???? not the fact that he was the most selfish player since Danny Manning??? Not the fact that he could not get along with either Stackhouse or Hughes so they had to get shipped out right before they BOTH hit the prime of their careers?

Then Josh Howard gets blamed for this team sucking...As if thats the reason this team has had problems and its not the fact the Nick Young has been an utter failure.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

And someone said Arenas was terrible and going to hang it up???

And then just now Pez says this:
That means the last spots on the teams will go to young, draft prospects,

If they are on an NBA team, they are still draft prospects? Sorry.. I think I know what you mean, but a draft prospect is someone who you might draft, not someone who played a season on the team already or who was drafted last year.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

As far as why the Wiz scheduled so few home games, maybe it makes more financial sense to get a Detroit team to pay you to play them on their court than it does to staff and open up VC for 6,000 fans. Especially if you think your product might well stink so bad, none of theose 6,000 woudl return for a real game.

Posted by: Blurred | October 22, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey blurred:

I can't wait to see how our 6'7" 270 freshman center plays. I'll bet it won't be pretty for quite awhile. VCU's got someone new inside too right? Taking SANDERS slot, if not taking up where he left off.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 22, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

HUDSON still hanging on despite that critical faus pax the other night. I think ARENAS' actions this pre-season (and lack of them) has HUDSON still on the team.....insurance if you will.

I'm thinking N'DIAYE is in the house. He's a draft pick and that's probably the only reason he makes the team.

Despite disappearing on the offensive end when heavily defended, I think he[MARTIN] makes it over HUDSON provided the WIZARDS are not overly concerned about guard play (ARENAS) early this season.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 22, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Ok can we talk about Rotations?

Starting 5: (go with the best players even if it means going with a 3 Guard Line up.

Wall
Arenas
(this might sound crazy but)... Nick Young
Blatche
YI

i like Hinrich,Thornton and Mcgee being one of the best benches in the league. That line up and rotation should suffice until Howard gets back

Posted by: mrhney03 | October 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

The wizards made a mistake releasing Morrison. Give him the minutes and he will make a meaningful contribution nite after nite. Look at what he did with the Lakers in the summer, he was consistently the high scorer. The better Laker players were high on him. I only hope some other NBA team finds a need for him, because in the end they will get one great player very cheap.

Posted by: jhughes2aa | October 22, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhughes2aa

And yet he got no meaningful minutes with the Lakers last season.

It may be partly like Livingston in that he's still working his way back from the knee injury, but he didn't show enough to make him worthy of keeping, imo.

Posted by: ts35 | October 22, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Wall
Arenas
(this might sound crazy but)... Nick Young
Blatche
YI

Posted by: mrhney03

I would have bought Yi in the starting lineup after the first couple of games, but his play tailed off a bit. Plus, I don't think you can keep McGee out of the starting lineup.

Young over Hinrich as a starter works to the extent that they get more consistent effort from Young as a starter than they get from Young as a sub. I think as a vet, Hinrich could adapt better to a sub role. But imo, even with the height issue at SF, Hinrich in the lineup with Gil and Wall is better than Young.

But I also think that they may be obliged to adjust who starts at SF based on matchups. Hinrich is a tough defender, but asking him to match up with LeBron, Carmelo, Durantula, or even guys like Deng and Iguodala is asking too much.

Posted by: ts35 | October 22, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"Why is that surprising? The Raptors were a lousy team with Bosh. Having lost Bosh and gotten nothing in return for him, what reason would there be to think they'd be any better going forward?"

Surprising that a publication said out loud how awful they could be.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 22, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I was also surprised to see 8 other clubs ranked below Washington by SI. I didn't see much separating them.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 22, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I think we'd all like to see Thornton earn that "3" spot, at least until Howard is ready to play. I also wouldn't mind seeing Booker in strictly as a defensive player. He would make it hard on a lot of 3s, if he can stay out of foul trouble.

I can see the three-guard lineup being used sparingly, when the match-ups are good during a game, not at the start.

I think this is the lineup we'll see against the Magic next week:

Yi
Blatche
McGee
Hinrich
Wall

Arenas, Thornton, Young, Armstrong and Martin come off the bench.

Yi would match up well with Rashard Lewis.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 22, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I think this is the lineup we'll see against the Magic next week:

Yi
Blatche
McGee
Hinrich
Wall

Arenas, Thornton, Young, Armstrong and Martin come off the bench.

Yi would match up well with Rashard Lewis.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 22, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Thatis interesting...so your saying that we wont have a consistent line up the entire time until Josh Howard comes back?. Arenas and Wall have to start together, thats sord of like a Thomas, Dumars Back-court. the other poster nailed it explaining that you can get more production with Nck Young as a starter than as a sub. But it will be interesting to see.

Posted by: mrhney03 | October 22, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Take NJ, for instance. There's a team that seemed too talented to win 12 games last year. I actually wondered if they were doing it deliberately. And Philadelphia. Charlotte I thought overperformed last season and could be looking at a step back. IMO teams like the above are about as likely as Washington to exceed expectations.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 22, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

From what I saw, Thornton should be the guy at 3. He's a bit of a wild man, but he brings the size and aggressiveness we need. And sometime his shot starts falling.

I'm sticking with my earlier prediction, Flip will start KH at 3 just so he is a 'starter'...but I think Thornton gets most of those minutes.

Given Gil's high-jinx and injury...wouldnt mind seeing Flip show some spine and bring him off the bench in Game1, but I wont hold my breath.

Posted by: divi3 | October 22, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

"I still think he may be the single worst defensive player I've ever seen in an NBA uniform, though" Kalo_

Have you ever seen Antwan Jamison play defense? ......wait, neither have I. lol

A. Jamison and Ledelle Eackles(?) are the 2 worst defensive players I have seen.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 23, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse