Cartier Martin not letting up until final roster is announced, Kirk Hinrich and John Wall sit out of practice

After the Wizards cut Adam Morrison and Sean Marks on Thursday, Saunders let it be known that he doesn't want Cartier Martin, Lester Hudson or Hamady Ndiaye to get comfortable after the team reduced to the roster to 15 players. After a 1½-hour practice on Friday, Martin said he wasn't going to let up now that his chances of sticking around have improved.

"I've got to be very aggressive and defend, rebound, do the little things that enable me to make the team," Martin said. "I'm working on trying to step my game up and try to be as hard a competitor as I can, to help other guys get better as well."

Martin admitted that until he hears the official word that it is impossible not to worry about his future. "It's tough when you're trying to make a team to block out all those things, because you're trying to make sure you do everything the right way," he said. "You don't want to make mistakes because you kind of feel like you've got a little bit more pressure on you. But you feel a little more comfortable when you know you made it. You relax a little bit."

But barring a dramatic development between now and Monday, those three players are likely to make the opening day roster, according to a league source. With Josh Howard not expected to return until next month at the earliest, the Wizards still need some depth at small forward. And, the contracts of Martin, Hudson and Ndiaye wouldn't become fully-guaranteed until early January. There is no urgency to make any more cuts since those players could easily be waived before then.

Kirk Hinrich sat out of practice for the second day in a row with a strained right hip injury, but he said on Friday that the injury wasn't a threat to keep him out of the season opener in Orlando. "It was pretty lit up," Hinrich said of his hip. "I'm not really too worried about it. I just want to keep an eye on it. I plan on getting through a few practices next week and I'll be ready, no question."

Hinrich will get another opportunity to rest on Saturday, with Saunders giving his players another day off before they start going harder in preparation for the Magic. Hinrich said he could already observe greater intensity in practice the past two days. "It's gotten a lot more serious," he said. "We realize it's time to hunker down and tighten everything up and be ready to go. We realize that we got two very tough tests right away. We have to be very sharp."

Gilbert Arenas practiced again, showing no problems with his mild groin strain, but No. 1 overall pick John Wall sat out with a groin injury of his own. Saunders said the injuries to his captains, Hinrich and Wall, weren't serious and he rested them only as a precaution.

By Michael Lee  | October 22, 2010; 8:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards serve steaks to military veterans
Next: Kevin Seraphin raps in Creole

Comments

We WILL have to make a cut when Howard returns. My guess would be Hudson.

Posted by: bpybay | October 22, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Scratch that last post. I think Howard is already counted in the top 12. I would love to see Hudson make himself untouchable by the time cuts roll around.

Posted by: bpybay | October 22, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

If Hinrich and Wall sat out practice then would it be wise to release Hudson?

Considering how Flip loves the 3-guard lineup it would be smart to have some insurance in the backcourt.

Posted by: elfreako | October 22, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

For the old people on here like me...the "Robert Short" Washington Senators/Texas Rangers have advanced to the World Series for the first time in their history...maybe there's hope for the Wizards after all.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 23, 2010 4:01 AM | Report abuse

To me biggest surprise to preseason is Yi, biggest disapointment Seraphin.

Vs Orlando I like Wall, Arenas, Thornton, Blatche, Mcgee to start w/ Yi & Hinrich off the bench. Once you can add Howard to this recipe that's a real good top 8 ingredients. Role guys Young (offense) & Booker (defense) as needed. Then added depth down the bench w/ Hudson, Martin, Seraphin, Armstrong, NDiaye.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully I'm wrong but I can foresee Saunders being stubborn & going with Hinrich over Gil. Like last year when he stuck with MM no matter what, & how he'd go for long stretches w/ Boykins instead of Gil.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 5:10 AM | Report abuse

Ok what about this topic... team name! Goin back to red, white & blue next season should we also change the name??

Washington Wizards

Washington Justice
Washington Generals
Washington Monuments
Washington Renegades
Washington Bullets

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 5:28 AM | Report abuse

Next Cut-Best Cut: Grunfeld!

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 23, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I would LOVE to return to The Bullets!

If that won't be done I've always wanted The Glory. But I do also really like The Capitols. To me, both are classic sounding names, have pride and fit with the stars & stripes theme, and you could do a basketball shape w/ the "o". The Capitols would consolidate Ted's Verizon Center tenants neatly under one marketable entity.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Washington Judges is the best name

and ummm starting 5

wall
arenas
young
blatche
yi

hinrich, mcgee and booker the rotation off the bench

Posted by: mrhney03 | October 23, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

David Stern was talking yesterday about the possibility of contraction. Currently, NBA players get more than half of revenues, and it's a way of reducing the size of the player pool. Also the most controversial way, by far, and the one most likely to wind up in court, which nobody wants. Still, contraction is almost certainly already on the table in the form of an informal report to the Commissioner, with numbers attached.

In any case, it's good the Wiz have already got their new ownership. Golden State is still waiting for their sale to finalize.

In a worst case scenario, which clubs would be vulnerable to contraction? Sacramento, of course, because the arena deal is dead. Memphis and Cleveland. Philly has bad attendance problems, but nobody wants to see Philadelphia without a team. We shouldn't forget that Stern essentially forced the Sonics to relocate to OKC. That sort of thing could happen in Sacramento.

Jerry West is on record as favoring contraction as a way of reviving the NBA's on-the-court product as well as its finances.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 23, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I believe Wizards must have a magic portion that can make its player grow.

Kirk Hinrich has just grown a inch and becomes 6'4".

Here is the new Hinrich webpage from the official NBA players site:

and the BEFORE webpage of the same site from archive.org

I have noticed that this has happened to Songaila as well. He was listed as 6'8" before joining Wizards, and became 6'9" as a Wizards member. I think a player's height is just what the team wants it to be listed.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 23, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako | October 22, 2010 9:12 PM

He doesnt love the 3 guard lineup, he loves Kirk Hinrich. If one of the guards gets hurt he'll just start Thornton at 3.

As far as keeping Hudson....surely management isnt assuming Gil will be healthy, or at least I hope not.

Posted by: divi3 | October 23, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

MRHNEY03

I do also like Yi to start, but vs orlando I'd go Mcgee.

In general I like a starting unit of Wall, Arenas, Howard, Blatche, Yi. Off the bench I like the dependable vet G Hinrich, the versatile all-around game of F Thornton, and the momentum changing big play ability with C Mcgee.

Young for scoring & Booker for D are ideal role players as needed.

I think this group will be our main core with consistant playing time, the other 5 guys give us added depth as they work on their games & prepare for a chance to work their way into the rotation.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

MRHNEY03

I do also like Yi to start, but vs orlando I'd go Mcgee.

Young for scoring & Booker for D are ideal role players as needed.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"The way Flip wants to use Hinrich at the 3, we may see Hinrich "grow" a couple more inches before season ends!Posted by: sagaliba"

Then he could play center, huh?

Posted by: Samson151 | October 23, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I believe Wizards must have a magic portion that can make its player grow.

Lester Hudson is listed two inches taller than his Combine height. The NBA publishes whatever measurement mubers the teams give them. The listed weights are usually the most suspect.

Posted by: djnnnou | October 23, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The Portland Trail Blazers have reached a contract agreement with free-agent big man Fabricio Oberto to fill a hole on their front line, according to sources close to the situation. ESPN

Looks like Oberto is going to another contender.

Posted by: djnnnou | October 23, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Unpredictable Wizards -- Arenas aside -- a fascinating study

For both Blatche and McGee, it's simply a matter of being focused and energetic on every possession. When asked how patient he's being with his young bigs, Saunders had a simple reply.

"You have patience in the preseason," the coach said. "You don't have patience in the regular season."

Great quote. I'm kind of surprised he said it, though

Posted by: djnnnou | October 23, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 23, 2010 4:01 AM

I was wondering who would make a connection on this board to the Rangers. The celebration was like they had already won the WS already.

However, BulletsFan78, you are only old as you say you are. I have been tellin folks for years that I'm 35 and they go, what, yeah right.

Butchaknow' 78 the coach of the Texas Rangers has that matter of fact approach that makes winners out of folks.

Don't know if Flip is made of that kind of pedigree. But, game on. 78, you ever heard the sayin, "You is anything" something from the young folks.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 23, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Did anydody see the Laker Golden State game last night and notice how when Kobe was on the bench that the subs for the Lakers played well and got them back into the game.

This has been a staple of Jackson coached teams, where the subs play well when the star is on the bench.

Unlike in Flips case, where he places no confidence in substitute role players and constantly benches players for making mistakes.

A glaring difference in coaching styles and results.

It ain't Rocket Science.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 23, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards cut down to 15 players and you would think that would be a cause of euphoria or a sense of accomplishment for those whom just made it in.

But no, Flip sends a message to not get comfortable, a message of anxiety. You would think that he would want to send a message of confidence and accomplishment, and a message to continue to do the things that has gotten those players this far.

I am sorry, Flip does not get it!

I complained a while back that Hinrich the golden boy was getting too many minutes. Now he and John Wall need some rest. I guess it wasn't so stupid for Gilbert to fake and injury after all, huh!

The Master Plan of one Flip S's.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 23, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

These guys are young professionals. They do not get tough and hardened by being told to keep worrying. Experience will toughen them. Confidence from success will toughen them. This team was brought together to grow together. It seems as if Flip does not know what he wants to do with this team. Complaining is not teaching. I hate questioning Flip, I just dont understand his tactics or his body language. He should, I think, be a little more rah-rah with these young players and keep them pumped up. A veteran team may be able to overcome setbacks, but a young team must be nurtured. He wants energy, then he looks like he is perturbed all the time. This year will show me a lot as to whether he is a good fit with Washington. I'm not saying he isn't, but this year will tell a lot. He has a young dynamic team, how will he train them.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | October 23, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

They'd be fools to get "comfortable." Just because they made the team out of camp doesn't guarantee them a damn thing. As the post makes quite clear, when/if Howard returns someone is getting cut. My guess is the guy who looks to the coach like he thinks his work is done just because he made the opening day roster is going to be first in line for the chopping block. If these guys want to have ongoing NBA careers, their real work is only just starting.

"Get comfortable" my ass. If anything they should be working twice as hard now as they were before.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 23, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | October 23, 2010 10:26 AM

Where'd you get this info????

Posted by: VBFan | October 23, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

"NBA players have the same problem that NFL players do in terms of what happens in retirement -- many wind up bankrupt. Fewer chronic medical problems, of course, but the last numbers I saw (2008), three quarters are in trouble within 5 years after retiring.Posted by: Samson151"
"Where'd you get this info????"Posted by: VBFan"

You mean the financial struggles? Rick Reilly did something in ESPN The Mag a couple years back, and there have been a number of other articles. Figures I saw were 60% described as 'broke', 75% as in 'financial distress'. I'm not sure how many actually bankrupt, but it's high.. here's the link to Reilly's piece:

Posted by: Samson151 | October 23, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

On the subject of contraction: Jerry West's argument was that there were already too many teams for the available talent pool. I wondered if that wasn't behind the emphasis (which began with Jordan's Bulls) on having three or four 'core' players who represented the real quality on the team. Maybe dissolving two or three franchises would yield a better overall product, basketball-wise.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 23, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Take Hudson and Cartier -- they're good players who are probably playing at an NBA level, but that might say more about the current state of the NBA than it does about the two of them.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 23, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Samson151

Very interesting. I never saw anything like this on this subject.
But not a big surprise though.
A lot of these kids can't even read what they sign.

Posted by: VBFan | October 23, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I remember listening to Charles Barkley several years ago about contraction.
He was right.

I suppose the NBAPA will fight contraction, but as a basketball fan I would love to see it.

Its not just about the players either. Are there really 30 competent head coaches for the NBA level?

The Kings, Grizzlies, Raptors, Bobcats, Timberwolves and Hornets all would seem to be candidates for contraction. There's no sense of history or prestige with these franchises.

The Wiz won 26 games last year and out drew all these teams except Toronto. The Bobcats made the playoffs and still can't draw!!

Posted by: bozomoeman | October 23, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

@Darnell1
I'd also like to add The Washington Dukes
to your list.
The "DC Dukes" after Duke Ellington

Posted by: bozomoeman | October 23, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | October 23, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

bozomoeman

Yeah I would put up WASHINGTON DUKES & also The Washington Grays as well for consideration.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

bozomoeman

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 23, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

But not a big surprise though.
A lot of these kids can't even read what they sign.
Posted by: VBFan

I hope you're talking about the international players.

"Sixty per cent is a ballpark. But we've seen a lot of guys who've really come into hard times five years after they leave the league," said Roy Hinson, the former NBA forward who's a representative for the players' association. Toronto Star

Reminds me of those high school drug talks. The number is obviously inflated. And considering how much attention the high profile cases get, that figure must be mostly made up of guys that didn't last beyond their rookie deals.

Posted by: djnnnou | October 24, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Washington Wizards
Washington Glory
Washington Capitols
Washington Rebels
Washington Justice
Washington Generals
Washington Monuments
Washington Renegades
Washington Bullets

Posted by: Darnell1

None of the names I've heard really jump out as an improvement over Wizards. So, short of hearing something better, imo, stick with Wizards if they're not going to change back to Bullets.

And the Washington Generals? Seriously? Like the franchise doesn't already have enough of an image problem with losing?

Side question: If the Wizards change their name, do the Mystics have to change their name to something similar? Just asking :)

And I will now reinstate my petition that the Utah Jazz and New Orleans Hornets switch nicknames.

Posted by: ts35 | October 24, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

A glaring difference in coaching styles and results.

It ain't Rocket Science.
Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

The other glaring difference is that Phil has only coached talented teams and young players and rooks are usually greatly outnumbered by vets.

I'm definitely not saying Flip would do as well as Phil if their situations were reversed, but comparing the Lakers subs to the Wizards subs isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Plus, here's a little sampling of the Phil files indicating it might not be as one-sided as you think.

------

Bynum endured another not-so-sharp effort Friday against Cleveland, totaling four points and six rebounds in 26 minutes of the Lakers' 102-87 loss.

"I'm kind of being passive," Bynum said. "I'm playing short minutes and Pau's back, so we've got to fit in what we can."

Bynum also felt as if he was being yanked too quickly.

"Right now, it's kind of like a short leash," he said. "I just come out if I don't make a shot or if I'm not effective."

Los Angeles Center Andrew Bynum says he is not getting enough playing time and I must say that I agree with his head coach’s response. Phil Jackson said that Bynum will get more minutes when he improves on defense.

Jackson was displeased that Bynum didn’t hustle downcourt after failing to get a pass in the post, which allowed Nuggets center Nene to make a layup and draw a foul from Kobe Bryant. So, Bynum took a seat with 7:14 left in the third quarter and never returned

"We just had to come to the conclusion that Sasha's just an emotional player that plays by the seat of his pants, and that's about it. He just doesn't have a brain."
- Phil Jackson

Posted by: ts35 | October 24, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

"To me biggest surprise to preseason is Yi, biggest disapointment Seraphin.

Posted by: Darnell1"

Yi is not a center so I wish people would stop with the speculation of him playing that role let alone starting at center. Yi can play some center but only short term as he has difficulty guarding centers, although he is a good rebounder.

Also, not listing Hilton Armstrong as a key reserve (center) is a mistake as he will be the primary reserve at that position. I think we are lucky to H. Armstrong on the team as he is highly motivated to prove his draft position was proper. He also has the body, physicality and a willingness to defend the paint to be very effective in that role.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 24, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I think Flip will be forced to play more than an 8 man rotation this year if he wants to push the ball at every opportunity.

Assuming everyone is healthy:

J. WAll
G. Arenas
J. Howard
A. Blatche
J. McGee

Key reserves:

K. Hinrich
H. Armstrong
Yi

Limited reserves

T. Booker
A. Thornton

That's 10 players there and I expect we will see C. Martin situationally as he's proven to be a capable shooter and decent defender. a lot of youth and decent depth on this team, this will be a very exciting team this season one way or another.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 24, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Well to me that is what has been surprising about Yi is his size, he is true 7ft & stronger than I thought. He is a good rebounder & more physical than I thought. He is very skilled, & more of a center than Blatche is. I think with Blatche at PF & Yi at center gives us good size there.

Yi played C for his China team, & Saunders has started him there already this preseason. I consider starting him there not because he's better than Mcgee, he's not, but he may be a better rebounder, more consistant & fundamentally sound. But more to keep Mcgee from picking 2 quick fouls off the bat. Also I like Mcgee as a matchup problem & momentum changer off the bench.

Either way I like our 3 man rotation at C/PF with Mcgee C, Yi C/PF, Blatche PF whether it's Mcgee/Blatche, Mcgee/Yi, or Yi/Blatche. Similar to our G rotation with Wall, Arenas & Hinrich. And yeah Armstrong is solid 4th guy at C/PF when needed.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 24, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 24, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

You gotta like the speed & skills of our top 5 with Wall, Arenas, Howard, Blatche, Mcgee.

Versatility of top subs Yi, Thornton, Hinrich. Offense/Defense role players Young & Booker/Armstrong.

That's 11 deep! Depth & developing youth fill out end of bench w/ Hudson, Martin, Seraphin, Ndiaye. Overall I really like the makeup of this roster.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 24, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 24, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I believe Wizards must have a magic portion that can make its player grow.

Kirk Hinrich has just grown a inch and becomes 6'4".

Looks like Seraphin got into the magic bottle, he's gone from 6'9" to 6'10"

They are willing to be patient with the raw, 6-foot-10 project

Posted by: divi3 | October 24, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@zxhoya

You left Young off of your 10-man rotation. Oversight? Or on purpose?

Posted by: ts35 | October 24, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"I believe Wizards must have a magic portion that can make its player grow."

"Kirk Hinrich has just grown a inch and becomes 6'4"."

Looks like Seraphin got into the magic bottle, he's gone from 6'9" to 6'10"

"They are willing to be patient with the raw, 6-foot-10 project"

Posted by: divi3

And San Antonio lists DeJuan Blair at 6'8". All NBA teams (and college teams) fudge heights.

Posted by: ts35 | October 24, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"@zxhoya

You left Young off of your 10-man rotation. Oversight? Or on purpose?
Posted by: ts35"

Definitely an oversight on my part, I knew I was forgetting someone.

Assuming everyone is healthy:

Yi

Limited reserves

N. Young
T. Booker
A. Thornton

Posted by: zxhoya | October 24, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Here's an article from SI 2009 on player financial problems that goes into things in more detail:

Posted by: Samson151 | October 24, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"Reminds me of those high school drug talks. The number is obviously inflated."Posted by: djnnnou"

Posted by: Samson151 | October 24, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"The stat that 60% of players have filed for bankruptcy within 5yrs of retirement is an "educated guess" the player's association pushes at rookie weekend to scare everybody straight about their finances. I bet it's not anywhere near that high, though obviously many players have serious financial issues.Posted by: divi3"

Once again, how do you know? Just curious. You sound so sure, it made me wonder.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 24, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

""The stat that 60% of players have filed for bankruptcy within 5yrs of retirement is an "educated guess" posted by divi3

I don't think the Players Association said formal bankruptcy -- just that the players were 'broke'. You can be in financial distress without bankruptcy.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 24, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Might be inflated, but how do you know? That was a 'ballpark' figure from Roy Hinson of the Players Association. Where's your number come from?Posted by: Samson151

Hinson doesn't use 'ballpark' until he's questioned by the reporter and starts backpedaling. That's a pretty big clue that the number is inflated.

To even approach that number he would have to include the players that didn't stick around long enough to have careers in the NBA. Low 1st rounders and 2nd rounders that didn't last past the guaranteed rookie money, and D-Leaguers that got call-ups but not multi-year deals. Technically, they are NBA players, but they don't really come to mind when someone is talking about 'NBA Players'.

Posted by: djnnnou | October 24, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse