Forty seconds of funk

John Wall has pulled off some amazing plays throughout the preseason, and Thursday night was no different, as the No. 1 overall pick recorded the first double-double of the meaningless portion of the schedule. Ben Golliver, blogger for CBSSports and Blazersedge.com, was quite impressed by Wall -- and he only needed 40 seconds to be sold.

In the first quarter of the Wizards' 96-88 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks, Wall had a 40-second stretch in which he had two assists, two points and a steal. He set up Kirk Hinrich for a three-pointer in the corner, grabbed a loose ball and fed Cartier Martin for a reverse layup, then recorded a steal and two handed dunk, adding a pull-up on the rim for good measure.

As for finishing with 15 points and 11 assists to get the double-double, Wall wasn't all that impressed. "It means, to me, nothing if we don't get the win," he said. "That's the key point...come in to help the team as much as I can; lead the team like Coach wants me to do right now, try to get the win. It's great to have a double-double but doesn't mean anything. I think we took a step back."

By Michael Lee  | October 15, 2010; 4:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas fined $50,000, sources confirm
Next: Andray Blatche trying to get fit, and in the low post

Comments

FIRST!!

And that's my first time being first!!

What a beast John Wall is!!

Posted by: ElJefe2000 | October 15, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

WALL does it all, and he hasn't played a regulation game yet. NICK YOUNG is a bigger loser than I thought for continuing to be in league with ARENAS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 15, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I see Larry Brown cut Javaris Crittenton, who lost out for the third PG spot (behind DJ Augustin and Shaun Livingston). Brown said he liked Javaris but that he's not enough of a playmaking PG. The spot went to Sherron Collins, who went undrafted out of Kansas.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

A Wiz fan who's screen name has John Wall in it and hates Gil wrote this to 2 other Gil fans on another site:

I'm sure many of you know I haven't been the biggest Gil supporter here since the injuries and suspension but I've got a quick story that changed all of this overnight.

Last night, I was at the Wiz Meet The Players "party" at the Six Flags in Bowie MD. It was anything but a party but I got to meet John Wall, Andray, Josh Howard and Gilbert. By the way, John Wall is not as friendly as he looks on TV folks. Don't be fooled, he is not that "humble" guy that you've read about. He was by far one arrogant piece to about 400 fans who waited in line to meet him...including Kids!!! I'll right about that separately because I want to keep this post positive...I had a pretty long funny conversation with Dre but the one that struck me the most was Gilbert. While in line, I watched the man and got to know him in a matter of minutes. Dude is down to earth big time. He was joking with each fan and he took the time in the cold to have conversations and answer questions. He kept it real. When it was finally my turn to get up, I asked him about making the playoffs and mentioned to him how John was not saying a single word to any of the fans and how I appreciated the fact he was smiling. His response was "oh it's cool there's no reason for me not to smile. I'm here for ya'll. I'm not sure why John aint smiling". The he cracks a joke "but I'll talk to him I think it got somethin to do about Kentucky Midnight Madness though but he wasnt allowed to go".

To end this, I just want to say now I know why Brock and Cube defend this man even in the toughest times. The guy is a real person man. He wouldn't care if you were the janitor, he would have a real conversation with you. You can tell he is definitely a good man. No doubt about that. And just for this experience, I want him to stay in DC for as long as he balls in the league.

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank you dits2041 for putting thing in perspective about reality; and being real. That was a very good story (blog)! Practically literature.

I don't know why I love Gilbert so much; I think it's because he is real and every man makes mistakes. And you have justified my feelings.

Tracee Hamilton you are wrong about Gil. He is not the Joker; you are... if you can't beat him in one on one, who are you to criticize?

What he did doesn't matter at all in the "real" basketball world. Who cares?

You and so many fans are "knit-picking" Gil to death. It was nothing. As a Christian I don't recommend lying but he is under enormous pressure and it was for a noble reason.

We are a team and we need peace and fellowship in order to focus at a high level.

Good luck and a speedy recovery Gilbert.

Posted by: upscalechef | October 16, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Well Im not going to kill him just yet. Im a huge Gil fan but it doesnt have to be a competition. Gil couldve been right about the Kentucky thing but still John should always show the fans love. Some people have to do media stuff but they are really shy around people they dont know. Some others feel uncomfortable signing things because of there writing skills. I think he probably just was having a bad day though and maybe mad at the Front Office so he was like "Im not going to be open for this" but you cant let other things turn you away from the fans.

He has to understand that no matter how bad it is, he has to put on a good face for the fans because it may be there 1 & only time to meet him and you never have a 2nd chance for a 1st impression. At the same time, we as fans have to understand that these guys are humans and will have some bad days. He's 19 & still learning. I wouldnt label him fake or anything just yet but it better not happened too often

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 16, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I KNEW YOU WOULD FIND AWAY TO BLAME NICK,TALKING TO YOU GLAWRENCE007 DID YOU FORGET TO BLAME HIM FOR BEING BORN.

Posted by: maejude | October 16, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

here is another response I got from that site
-------------------------

Jwall, its funny cuz I thought about posting something like this. I was at the meet last night too. Got some pics with the cheerleaders by the entrance. Made it to the John Wall meet a little late but got to see him too. My impressions of him is identical to what you said. He was pretty rude and seemed to look down upon his fans. Point blank, the young fellow needs some coaching on social/personal interactions. He was definitely cranky and cocky. And I too got to meet Dray and Gil but did not get to see Josh Howard. Gil was definitely friendly. It changed my perceptions of him too...so Ill be rooting for the guy again. Him and Wall were like night n Day, apple n orange last night. It made me appreciate Gil the player n Gil the person altogether. As for Dray, Dray promised me the playoffs so Im holding him to that lol. Overall, it was a night to remember. Wishin n hopin John Wall doesnt become permanently arrogant. And godspeed to Gil!!

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 16, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I was at the meet the Wiz at Six Flags. Didn't get to meet Gil or Wall but did meet Josh, Nick, Javale, and Kirk. Josh, Nick and Kirk were really appreciative of the fans and thanked us for coming out. Javale got tired of signing but did stay around with Nick, Hilton and Luther Hudson to shoot some hoops with the fans. Yi gave authographs even after the session was over.

Posted by: ptp09 | October 16, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse