Gilbert Arenas done for the night with mild groin strain

Gilbert Arenas stepped onto the Verizon Center court for his first game since his suspension last season, but his return lasted all of three minutes because of a mild strain in his right groin. Wizards officials said he would not re-enter against Milwaukee for precautionary reasons.

Arenas came in with 7 minutes 5 seconds to play in the first quarter to cheers throughout the building. He did not attempt a shot and missed his only two free throw attempts but had one assist and one rebound. The assist came after collecting a loose ball near mid-court, dribbling into the lane and delivering an over-the-shoulder pass to John Wall, who made the basket and was fouled. On a subsequent defensive sequence, Arenas blocked a jumper by the Bucks' promising young point guard, Brandon Jennings. Soon after, Arenas left the game.

The groin injury comes two days after Arenas admitted he faked left knee soreness so Nick Young could start in Coach Flip Saunders's three-guard rotation in Tuesday's 107-92 victory over Atlanta at Verizon Center. Young scored a team-high 24 points in that game.

Arenas the day after apologized for his actions, and Saunders fined him for an undisclosed amount.

By Gene Wang  | October 14, 2010; 7:59 PM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas to play tonight
Next: Kevin Palmer waived

Comments

You're still my boy Gil!

Posted by: jbworldwide | October 14, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas and Albert Hyansworth are both losers!

Posted by: Special_One40 | October 14, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Mike Lee, you are an idiot. How many times to ypu want to rehash Arenas. Every article you write? Give us a break!

Posted by: bobilly2 | October 14, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

You forgot to say 100 mil losers! Coaches decission to hold him out for precautionary reeasons. I'd like to see him put J Wall instead of plaaying him 40 min a gane in preseason. If Cartier Martin isn't on the final roster, I'd be disapointed! Dude is playing like a pro!

Posted by: zack5 | October 14, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Lee: notwithstanding the last comment, thanks for the update. I heard something about this on the radio on the drive home and it was good to see your report.

Posted by: ajaxthewonderdog | October 14, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Just look at how tyhe game changes when Gil is in the game. Unbelievable feel for the game, makes everything so easy. Nice welcome by VC fans for Gil.m

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | October 14, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Arenas line says he had 3 steels , 1 rebound , 1 assisy in 3 minutes. Way to overlook 3 steals.

Posted by: bobilly2 | October 14, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Just look at how the game changes when Gil is in the game. Unbelievable feel for the game, makes everything so easy. Nice welcome by VC fans for Gil.

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | October 14, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Wall
The Blitz Squad?
The Wiz Kidz?
The starting five?

dreaming !!!

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | October 14, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

The Money Quarter commences.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 14, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Knee and groin in two nights. Get rid of this bum. Let him go haunt some other team.

Posted by: mortified469 | October 14, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Man has unlimited potential if only his head wasn't so messed up. We don't need the drama. Gil should go somewhere else and get a clean start. Even if the Wizzes get 50% of what they owe him, it's time to move on.

Posted by: thepearl1 | October 14, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

His fake knee injury has spread to his groin.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 14, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

lol, I swear before the game when I heard Gil was coming off the bench, I was thinking that I hope he doesnt have some bad karma like when EJ benched him that one game and he tore his knee up. Sure enough he gets hurt.

Seriously though, I hate to see Gil get hurt this close to the season when he was really starting to find his rythm(everywhere except the FT line aleast). It didnt look serious enough to keep him out the opener but it might keep him out the rest of the preseason and make him loose some conditioning & timing which sucks

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 14, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I'VE been kicked on the groin after learning Arenas got hurt following a night relaxing on the bench and only 3 minutes of game time tonight.

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | October 14, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I see some things that have me encouraged and some glaring weaknesses that have me concerned.

I see good defensive rebounding but poor perimeter defense, poor shot selection, good fastbreaks and and1's, good hustle on some plays and lackadaisical on others.

McGee is hella active on both ends, Wall runs the break beautifully, need Blatche/Young to make better decisions in shots/defense/body language. They do alot of 'sulking'.

I see where they can get better; they have good energy just need to be consistent.

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 14, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Second straight game where Yi doesn't show up. Or at least it appears he hasn't.

Couple of good games, bunch of games where he doesn't appear.

Same old, same old with him.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 14, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

"Gil is the best proven player on this team PERIOD, and among the TOP 10 or better players in the league PERIOD! Can't say that about Haynesworth but really, the haters real beef is with the $100 Mil deal! Keep it real, he hasn't played a full season for a minute and collects a big A$$ check! That's the real beef with Gil!Posted by: zack5"

I don't know how you can argue that PERIOD! Nor can anyone else COMMA! even the most diehard Arenophiliac EXCLAMATION POINT!!

I just wanted to see if all the punctuation makes me smarter.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 14, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

bobilly,you need to either go back to school,or go to bed and get some rest!you f-up worse than i do!

Posted by: billydee123 | October 14, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know that Albert Haynesworth had a brother who played for the Wizards! How lucky can one city be?

Posted by: 2360623185 | October 14, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I just can't get into the Wizards, never could even with MJ, and SURE can't with this loser. Give the fans somebody to cheer for.

Posted by: kls1 | October 14, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Yi, Young and Wall had horrible shooting nights (a combined 11-36 from the field).
That's your ballgame, folks.

Posted by: ahwyatt | October 14, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Sampson151! Who's better on this mostly inconsistant players on this team. What 9 in the league? Too bad the punctuations didn't make you smarter because your quotes don't make you smart either. I'm a fan of the game and TRUE TALENT!! Not players that haven't proven anything. I can name many of the better atheletes have had issues off the court, hell, if I remember correctly, Kobe was accused of rape! All I want them to do is to WIN SOME GAMES! Check the stats Gil averaged 22ppg and 7 rbs a game before he got suspended. Go watch the filming of Trans3 (I think they're still shooting tomorrow) and come back when you REALLY got a quote I wanna read!!!!!

Posted by: zack5 | October 14, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Couple of good games, bunch of games where he doesn't appear.

Same old, same old with him.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 14, 2010 9:32 PM

I think it is more a matchup thing. Yi I think will benefit by having three bigs on the floor than just him and Blatche.

Having Yi, Blatche and McGee together at times will make it easier for Yi to stay consistent and benefit the other two guys as well.

With the talents of Wall and Arenas and those three together is the lineup I really would like to see.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 14, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | October 14, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

'I wonder if it's real or if it's memorex.'
And I'm sure other fans feel the same after being lied to by that demented fool ARENAS. I wonder if the coaching staff is buying in?

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 14, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

GA is a screwball. Tired of his bs.

And, the other screwballs arguing a few threads ago that GA is a top ten anything or is some great player still, I want whatever drugs you're taking. It's pure hogwash. At his peak (way back in those days when he could actually score 60 or 50 on occasion), he was barely cracking the top 10 players in the NBA. Now, he is not even close to a top ten guard, which puts him in the 30 - 40 range at best, if there was a combined player ranking. Please...and add in the weirdness, turnovers, ball hogging, zero defense, dissension causing and on and on and on....

No thanks!

Posted by: rphilli721 | October 14, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Gil got a pretty warm reception tonight, kind of surprising.

AB has a waaaaays to go to get back from the broken foot, but he'll be the team's leading scorer this season.

NY shot poorly but had 7rebs and displayed consistent defensive effort...so I suppose everyone is happy with his performance?

Is Al Thornton really hurt? When?

Someone should be fired if Morrison makes the team over Cartier.

Wall looked sluggish, they must be having some seriously hard practices.

Posted by: divi3 | October 14, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Just laughing at the first few comments when it was Gene Wang who posted this.

Posted by: amorris525 | October 14, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

@rphilli721. . . I see you rant'n but you still haven't said who was better! Never said he wasn't immature, but he isn't crazy, J R Rider was crazy with mad skills. Gil's problem is P.O.M.E! In basketball skills, do you really think he's washed up? Nope!

Posted by: zack5 | October 14, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Forget Gil for a minute. NY had his Jarvis Hayes game Tuesday. Waaay too inconsistant and really should have his game more on point. Flip really needs to rest Wall, JW goes hard the whole game, hope Flip don't burn him out before 1st 40 games or even worse, he get's hurt. The rooks looked okay. Yi looked like the Yi in NJ.

Posted by: zack5 | October 14, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Does Flip or Ernie know what a small forward is?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 14, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

With his continuing shenanigans, who cares about Arenas anymore?!?! He's a distraction and an emotional strain and drain on this team. Send him somewhere else. Arenas is no longer the "franchise" player he was; he's just an ongoing embarrassment. Cut him loose, get rid of all the distractions, and rebuild the team around Wall

Posted by: blufre | October 14, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

C'mon. You know this was all planned. HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY AT HOME! And a recurring "mild strained groin" is the perfect excuse.
He'll have to play SOME home games because it would be too obvious.
Bet he plays 41 road games!

Posted by: heresthescoop | October 14, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

He'll be pullin' some groin in prison someday.

Posted by: TheChileanPresidentIsMuchBetterRespondingToDisastersThanObama | October 14, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Zach5 is a loon. So tell me who to take off this top 10 list:

LeBron
DWade
Kobe
Kevin Durant
Carmelo
Brandon Roy
Dwight Howard
Deron Williams
Amar'e Stoudemire
Dirk

AIN'T no way in Hades Gil is better than any of these dudes. Put the bong away for a couple days before you post next time.

Posted by: elfreako | October 14, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I am going to copy and paste this email I sent to every Gil related article until I hear that something has been done,yes it is the US, and yes Free Speech is a right but editing is also a rule in this paper and you choose to block even the most innocent of comments yet let this idiot go clear. Read below fellow Wiz/Bullets fans and let the Post know what you think.*****Are you kidding me WAPO, this comment is acceptable but if I even try to put in a name for the anatomy we all sit on with an A, then follow it with a couple of dollar signs I get censored and your editing system won't allow my comment? Then you let this sicko add in this ridiculously racist and hateful comment with nothing? UNBELIEVABLE! I will copy and paste below as well as adding to every single article about Gil the rest of the year in the comments section to remind folks what total imbeciles you are, PLEASE tell me this somehow slipped through the cracks,PLEASE. Anyone foolish enough to put up something like this not only needs to be blocked from any further comments in your newspaper but this should be forwarded to the authorities, someone like this is likely to be dangerous and if tracked down might even close a case or ten in some police jurisdictions area if checked out. Seriously was that from the clown with a gun strapped to his side at the Tea Party rally awhile back? Totally disgusting,ignorant and well hell pick an adjective or 1000 and it still would not do justice to this fools comment. Here is his mindless hate spewed verbatim, as I simply copied and pasted.

Coons are coons; they're the children of the devil. The sport should be whites only.

Posted by: bigisle | October 14, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mfowler1 | October 14, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

mfowler, i agree that kind of post needs to be blocked, and the poster banned. This is not a free speech issue, this is a semi public forum, the owners (WAPO) can and should moderate.

In other news...

I'm just curious, the peeps who are writing that we need to get rid of gil (Wilbon included) really never seem to have any idea of how we could do that? I mean, I can come up with great ideas to improve the team: Sign a young kobe, sign a young shaq, sign a young MJ... those ideas are all airtight, and just about as feasible as trading gil right now.

I mean if you want to lay this out like, "hey what if in the next harry potter movie the wizards traded gil" I'd be all "great idea!"

But the elephant standing in the plot hole of this forum is: How?

Maybe you think we should just release him. Pay his checks and kick him off the team? OK. If that is your idea say that. I don't think it's a great idea. I mean based on the last year i guess it's not completely off the table... but at the same time, i don't see that as a particularly realistic or even at this point reasonable response to Gil's actions.

Some peeps like to toss out the term thug, which i tend to read as kind of a poorly chosen code word at this point for scary young black guy. (Full disclosure I'm white) But personally I don't think we can paint Gil too broadly, he is a unique guy. He's definitely not a thug at least in my mind... he's just a bit of a character and he doesn't have a great sense for how to navigate these more political moments. Which on a certain level i find a bit endearing. Because it seems somewhat innocent.

Most of all, i'm pretty sure he is going to be on this team, at least for the majority of this season, and I can deal with that. I hope he get's his act together a bit and has a good season. I think that is a lot more likely than the wizards cutting ties with him.

Posted by: gconrads | October 15, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I should say, I could totally see Harry Potter cutting ties with gil, so if that is what you mean, then we are in agreement.

Posted by: gconrads | October 15, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Its not a major injury gilbert will be back befor the season starts.

Posted by: dredre1 | October 15, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Please tell me some dope, in this string, didn't post that Gun Boy is a top 10 player in the NBA. Homey, you better get league pass and check out some real basketball from time to time.

Posted by: jwing14 | October 15, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@elfreako! I see you struggled with coming up with these names but Brandon Roy? D Williams? Come on man! Look at the numbers then apologize! Amare? PLEASE! We'll see what he does without Steve Nash. I know I said "player" but D Howard is a center with totally different stats then a guard but I'll let you keep . Gil is very immature but doesn't take away from his b-ball IQ!

Posted by: zack5 | October 16, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

@jwing! "Gun Boy" Gil got skills and I don't need to watch League Pass to see average players. Like I said on my last post, go back and look at the numbers! Gil is immature and probably doesn't represent a $100 mil "person", He didn't get paid for being an Ambassador to China and he's not a role model but he's a force on the court!

Posted by: zack5 | October 16, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse