Gilbert Arenas: 'I screwed up again'

Gilbert Arenas was fined an undisclosed amount of money on Wednesday for comments he made about feigning a knee injury in order to let Nick Young start during the Wizards 107-92 win over the Atlanta Hawks the night before. Coach Flip Saunders announced the fine after practice, but added that no other punishment would be handed out. An NBA spokesman said that the league is also reviewing the comments.

After scoring 24 points in the win, Young said that Arenas sacrificed on his behalf in order for Young to play. When asked to clarify, Arenas said, "Yeah, I told him I'd sacrifice playing tonight so he'd get some time. Because I know he's kind of frustrated not getting a chance to crack the three position, especially since we're going three guards. So I told him I'd fake an injury or say something's wrong with me, so he can start."

That didn't sit well with the Wizards or Saunders, who said Arenas told him at the morning shootaround that he was sore and couldn't play. Saunders said he addressed the situation in meetings with Arenas and the team. "I told him, 'I'm most disappointed personally, because I believe in you. There has been a trust factor.' I told him, 'You have to be honest with me,' " Saunders said. "In my conversation with both him and in front of the team, was when you guys indicate to me that you're in a situation that you can't play, I can't judge when someone is hurt or not hurt. Only you can tell us that. When you indicate and say that to me, that's what I go by."

Arenas apologized for not being forthcoming with Saunders, but said he was only trying to help a teammate get more playing time. "I was trying to be a good teammate. Nick wanted to play, and since we are guard-loaded, I felt I'd take the day off, and I lied to coach and told him my knee was sore so he could start Nick," Arenas said. "Obviously, no one's taken it well. I was just trying to help out Nick, get some playing time under his belt because he's been working hard at practice. I screwed up again, so I just want to say, 'Sorry.' "

"I messed up again," he said. "I'll never do it again."

Arenas said he probably should've handled the situation differently. "In hindsight, yes, but I wasn't really thinking that this was going to be another media outburst. It's like everything I do now, someone tit for tat, try to blow it out of proportion. At the end of the day, Nick is happy. He got to play, got to show that he can play, and I'm out here taking all the heat again. I made my teammate happy."

He added, "Better way? If I wouldn't have made any comments, you guys wouldn't have known, right? Let's just say I blew it again."

After speaking with reporters, Arenas called for Young from the practice court. He walked with Young toward the locker room, jokingly asking, "You paying my fine money?"

When asked if he would pay Arenas's fine, Young said, "Nah, cause I don't know nothing about it, and he got a lot more money than I do."

"I guess it's just Gil being Gil," Young said. "I don't really know what was going on. I just went out there and played my game, started, got the opportunity and just wanted to play basketball."

Did he appreciate Arenas's sacrifice? "Oh yeah, of course. I want to be out there on the court, and if he did, he felt it was a good thing to do."

Saunders said his decision to start Young had less to do with Arenas's fake injury, but more do with the absence of Al Thornton, who was forced to sit with a sprained left ankle. "I told the team, 'I dictate who plays.' No player is going to dictate who plays. Just because Gilbert doesn't play, that doesn't mean Nick is going to play because prior to that game, we would've started Al Thornton. So if Al had been healthy, no matter what, one of those three guards was sitting and Al was going to play.

When asked if Arenas would be available for Thursday's game against Milwaukee, Saunders replied with some unintentional irony. "We'll have to see how he feels," he said.

By Michael Lee  | October 13, 2010; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  Flip Saunders, Gilbert Arenas, Nick Young
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas 'sacrifices' for Nick Young
Next: Nick Young on a roll, with or without Gilbert Arenas's help

Comments

LMAO.

Ivyleague has been blasting everybody all day over Gil's "joke" about faking his injury and how stupid everyone is for taking his comments seriously. Lo and behold, Gil wasn't joking. He purposefully manipulated his coach's lineup by lying about his knee. What a surprise!

Make no mistake, there will be other incidents and Ivyleague will be here, gripping his nutz with all her might and refusing to see him for what he is: a team cancer.

Isn't it ironic that THE veteran of the team is the one being fined and dressed down in front of the whole team for being a moron, not some wet-behind-the-ears rook or young vet? The fact that Arenas couldn't make it through preseason without putting his foot in his mouth and is feigning ignorance over the ensuing backlash tells me that this will not end well.

Mr. Leonsis, your move.

Posted by: gtown85 | October 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

With friends like Nick Young, who needs enemies?

Now we read that NICK was the first to bring up Gil's "sacrifice" and Gil didn't have the discipline to pretend he didn't know WTH Nick was talking about. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Posted by: and_1 | October 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

What's disappointing (imho) is Gilbert should be apologizing for lying to his coach, and he should have stated it that way.

Instead he just keeps yakking in an immature, "if I hadn't fessed up, nobody would've known" way, which is something we might expect from a kid or a teen, not a 28-year-old adult. I can't tell if he's saying he won't lie to Saunders again; or if he's just saying he won't confess it to the media again the next time he does lie.

Posted by: blackjack65 | October 13, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

What other petty S**t can we find. I think once 4yrs ago Gil missed the urinal. WAPO has gone to far. Grow up. Now everyone of these Gil haters will act like this is the end of the world. I'm sick of hearing all this BS about Gil. Until he shows me he can't or won't play who cares what he does or says.

Posted by: wizravterp | October 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

What the hell was Nick thinking? If he keeps his mouth shut, then maybe we're not dealing with this story today. Actually, now that I think about it, Gil did the right thing by confirming what Nick let out the bag. It would be ten times worst if you had the media sniffing and searching for a story because of what Nick said and then having Gil say nothing. Let's hope Thursday's game comes with no other distractions.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | October 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizravterp | October 13, 2010 3:58 PM |

LOL I think he showed you he won't play last night.

Posted by: and_1 | October 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"It's like everything I do now, someone tit for tat, try to blow it out of proportion."

Ok, this DOES NOT sound like someone who is sorry to me. Dude needs to go like today. He hasn't learned crap.

"LOL I think he showed you he won't play last night."

Exactly.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 13, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

It's getting harder and harder to defend Gilbert, but "the league is reviewing the comments"? Seriously?

Is David Stern as clueless as I think he is? Countless NBA players have faked injuries, and not for the reasons that Gil did. Besides which, if a player fakes an injury, it's an issue within that team. In most cases, it will make that team's chemistry worse, but it's not a violation of league rules.

Posted by: NWDC3 | October 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Cancer strikes again. That fool ARENAS was born stupid and has been going downhill ever since. Thank you ABE for this festering boil on the team.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 13, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NWDC3 | October 13, 2010 4:08 PM

The major difference being other players keep their pieholes shut.

Posted by: and_1 | October 13, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

that last sentence made a fool out of the whole franchise and now the wizards are the clowns of the league. It also made me laugh

Posted by: jefferu | October 13, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The point is, Gil lied to his coach and essentially decided to play coach himself knowing full well that the situation would require Young to start. He obviously doesn't see anything wrong with what he did and finds it funny. Very hard to believe he's 28 and not 14.

Posted by: Thundershock | October 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

".......shows me he can't or won't play who cares what he does or says......."
wizrap

Damn, what part of your own words do you not understand. DID HE PLAY LAST NIGHT?

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

All coach dip stick need to do is start nick young, and stop trying to make nick change his game, and let the other player do what they want to do. And screw what ever; any one else have to say, START FREAKING NICK YOUNG NOW.

Posted by: maejude | October 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Flip should be thanking his lucky stars!

Now he can "punish" Gil by bringing him off the bench next game. Flip can then have an "aha" moment and come up with reasons to keep bringing him off the bench all season (chemistry, spark off the bench, second unit scoring, etc.).

It would be ironic if Arenas' move to get Nick some playing time results in his permanent removal from the starting line-up. It would also be appropriate.

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | October 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I think Gilbert Arenas is menatally retarded on some level. Seriously.

Posted by: DCFanatic | October 13, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

the team is retarded....this should have been handled in house. gilbert and the coach sitting down and talking about this. fining the guy and making it public is sooo stupid. they easily could have played this off as a big joke by arenas to the public, everyone would talk about how gil is no longer depressed, he's having fun, being a good teammate, continuing the process of getting him out of the spotlight. The team doesn't need it and he doesn't need it. Another apology? I mean this whole thing is poorly handled. A player coach meeting would have explained to gil how this was wrong. He's not a bad guy, he just does dumb things sometimes. Even those who don't like him or want him gone should agree that this should have been quietly dealt with, cause this does not help his trade value.

Posted by: hb_321 | October 13, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

What does it take to void an NBA contract? If bringing guns into the office and challenging a co-employee to 'choose one' isn't enough, how about lying about being sick to avoid working and undermine upper management's planning and personnel decisions?
I used to think Gil was merely immature, but I'm beginning to think he's genuinely crazy and/or a lot less intelligent than I've given him credit for. After the public humiliation, the dressing down and suspension from the League, even INCARCERATION BY LAW ENFORCEMENT, he has learned absolutely nothing. That suggests a deeper psychological imbalance, as do his unrepentant remarks about how his deception would have been OK had he not made the mistake to talk about it. All of this drama on HIS FIRST NIGHT BACK ON HOME COURT, when he presumably was set to turn a new page with team and fans.
Like many fans, I wanted him gone after last year but was beginning to warm up to him coming back as long as he showed genuine remorse and dedication. He is obviously can't, and it's time to let him go before another 'Arenas event' destroys this team for another season, or has a negative impact on th development of some of our promising younger players.

Posted by: SammyT1 | October 13, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert - please don't shave the beard. Grow it until it completely covers your mouth and then seal it closed forever!

Posted by: boblas | October 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas = loser

And blackjack65 has got it right. Loser Arenas is sorry that he "fessed up"; sorry that he was found out; not sorry that he lied to his coach. Pathetic Loser. A waste of physical talent.

Posted by: renostaging2005 | October 13, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the reporter miss quoted Gil it should have been...

"I messed up again," Gil said. "I'll never do it again, till next time."

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 13, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

A BIG THANK YOU GILBERT; Because the wizards are not a good team, never have, and never will be a good team.

Posted by: maejude | October 13, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Forget about lying to the coach, this team needs to get as many minutes as it can with Arenas and Walls (in particular) and the other starters playing together. It's almost an entirely new team.

By pulling this stunt, Arenas is retarding the development of the team.

I can't believe some people are blowing this off.

His behavior is now affecting the team on the court. Folks can't use the "It happened off court" defense anymore.

Really, what is he thinking sometimes?

Posted by: SteveMG | October 13, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Flip speaks on Gil & other things http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/originals/

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 13, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I've never read such a series of overreactions and blowing things out of proportion. What he did was wrong and stupid, but let's not make it more than it was. Anyone who takes anything Gil says or does seriously is the stupid one. Hopefully he'll be healthy and play well. When he does that, he's fun to watch.

Posted by: benjammin | October 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Flip should be thanking his lucky stars!

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | October 13, 2010 4:24 PM

Sounds good in theory, but it would open a whole new can of worms because Gil is still the best shooting guard the Wizards have and I get the feeling that starting matters to him. If people think he's a cancer now, just start playing mind games with him and watch the team implode.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | October 13, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

X-Rays of Arenas' head showed nothing.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 13, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Mighty chivalrous of Gilby, but how does it help the team? It doesn't? In the end, this is just a preseason game, and giving NY some burn ain't going to get him more PT during the season.

Gilby just can't stop causing controversy. The season hasn't started yet and there's two things already...his beard, and now his fake injury. Of all things, he shouldn't be joking to the team/management about the latter.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 13, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Thank god I'm a Caps fan...I enjoy the Wiz .... with that being said this is another strike against this one guy...not the entire team.

Posted by: rdiehljr | October 13, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 13, 2010 5:00 PM

or is it fake beard and real injury?

Posted by: prescrunk | October 13, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Does Nick play defense? Because we know Arenas doesn't. Let Gil sit and rest his sore knee. Better yet, give a razor to shave that beard!

Posted by: NotaFan1 | October 13, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I am a big fan of Gil he replaced MJ for me this how much I like the guy. But how can he be so stupid. Ok you fake the injury nobody but yourself know about it, why do you have to go public. I personally think that all the drama from his childwood is catching up to him. SOMEBODY PLEASE , GET HIM AN AGENT......

Posted by: sainnis | October 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sainnis | October 13, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

SOMEBODY PLEASE , GET HIM AN AGENT......

Posted by: sainnis

Since he himself said that he and Wall are "brothers" because they share the same agent, I assume he has an agent.

Posted by: nmik | October 13, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nmik

Wall's agent used to be his agent. He's been agent for a while that he's been such a fool. Instead of paying somebody to help him and counsel him he rather pay that money in fines and whatnot. I never talked bad about him even with his foolish gun drama but now he just got me mad....

Posted by: sainnis | October 13, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

You Gil-haters are as bad as tea party republicans. You guys can't just scream slogans and expect that they mean something. Cancer? Really? So, Gil's personality will just spread to every member of the team until it kills them? I mean, this "cancer" crap means nothing at all. If you insist on being some psycho loser who gets all worked up about a young and obviously affected guy's mildly-misguided attempt to be honorable [And remember this is a theme -- he lied for Critt initially last year and offered to take the fall, and he lied that time when Kwame Brown was pouting during the playoffs in 2005], then at least use words that have meaning. Saying "Cancer!" without more is a total load and I'm sick of it. It's like "Oh, I heard this word, it sounds intense, and I'm going to repeat it." At least articulate your point and stop pretending that your tired cliches have any meaning whatsoever. It's like the tea baggers who yell "elite" or "socialist." It's a soundbite with no specific meaning used by dumb-f's to rile up other dumb-f's. If you hate Gil, that's your right. But just stop screaming "cancer" without articulating more if you are going to do so. Saying "Gil is a cancer" without more is simple-minded, stupid, and does not make any point. Stop being such a tea bagger.

Posted by: Urnesto | October 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Gil is also dissing the fans, the people who pay to see him play and want to support him. He needs to realize that he's not just messing with Flip or Grunfeld or Leonsis, he's messing with the fans of DC who want him to succeed more than anyone.

Posted by: jimwest20 | October 13, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I meant he's been agent FREE for a while

Posted by: sainnis | October 13, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh. No.

Posted by: tonid@hers.com | October 13, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@Urnesto,

Gil is a C A N C E R.

Posted by: harrybalz | October 13, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"If he's faking a knee injury to help out a fellow player, what's going to keep him from pulling a stunt to throw a game?"

Wow. That's just the dumbest thing you could say. Gil faked the injury to boost the confidence of a young guy who can actually play, showing the coaching staff that he can be very effective in that offense. That helps the team. His actions helped the team on the court more than it does hurt them. Why would he throw a game? That makes no sense.

Posted by: Blackwidow3222 | October 13, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I personally believe Gil just didn't want to play in the first home game as an FU to the fans. The fact that, with Thornton hurt, his absence might give Nick a chance to play was not even an afterthought for Gil, imho.

Posted by: harrybalz | October 13, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"Wow. That's just the dumbest thing you could say. Gil faked the injury to boost the confidence of a young guy who can actually play, showing the coaching staff that he can be very effective in that offense. That helps the team. His actions helped the team on the court more than it does hurt them.posted by blackwidow3222"

I don't know, your post seemed pretty dumb, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert needs to see someone; he has some serious issues.

As for a few of those whining about Arenas taking the heat he is, it makes me think you jokers are just as irresponsible and immature as he is. Gilbert does NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to do what he did; 10,000 people showed up last night to see the Wizards play, and that means Arenas too. He gets paid a load of money to play, not play childish games.

On top of that, judging from his comments he didn't learn a thing, except to do a better job of lying.

I was at the game last night. They don't need him. They'll win 40 with or without him. If they can find a way to get him out of here, go for it...but I doubt that is possible.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 13, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

IMO, to me the question is whether anybody can coach Gilbert at this point in his career. Maybe the problem is just in Washington; years of enabling, I suppose. Ernie must have been part of it, as well as Abe. Hard to imagine getting a coach in here and giving him his marching orders -- "the team is yours to control, except for when Gilbert directly undermines your authority." At least Arenas apologized this time, instead of doing his defiant act. Oh wait, he was pretty defiant, wasn't he? Saying it was the media's fault for reporting it -- not Gilbert's for having pulled the stunt in the first place. What does that tell you about Gilbert Arenas' attitude towards the Washington Wizards?

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sainnis | October 13, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"Gil-haters will always hate him no matter what he does. If he drops 100 pts on a team, he's selfish. If he jokes around he is immature. No matter what he does they'll have something negative to say about him.I am mad at him for being stupid enough to open his big mouth after trying to do an illegal(Lying) act of kindness.Posted by: sainnis"

Now this is enabling.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Urnesto

How about selfish, immature fool? Do those words work better for you?

If this were the first or second time he did something irresponsible and stupid I think most of us would be quick to forgive. Beside the gun incident and other nonsense, let's not forget he also once crapped in a teammates shoe. I can't think of another workplace in America where you wouldn't be fired for doing something that hateful and disgusting.

He thinks he's funny. He isn't. He thinks he's a goofball. He isn't. He has serious problems that threaten to derail this teams progress. This is just another, smaller symptom of his disturbed outlook on life.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 13, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

The poster who suggested that Gil "needs to see someone" is actually right on the mark. I don't think Gil is a bad person or has an attitude problem--to the contrary, he's done some incredibly generous things over the years. But he often makes poor choices and has extremely poor impulse control. Doing some cognitive therapy with a good practitioner might really help him (and the Wizards) a lot.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | October 13, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

"If people think he's a cancer now, just start playing mind games with him and watch the team implode.Posted by: ArmChairQB"

You mean things can get worse than last season? I thought that was something of an implosion. And presumably, Gil wasn't even trying.

If I had to guess, it would be that this is actually the sort of conduct that people in management expected from him. Game-playing. And why as talented as he is, they'll trade him when they can.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Please this is no murder , lynching or hanging..
Gil it seems was trying to help a friend in need.
Coach Twitch is the one that needs help.
If you actually watch the Gilbert interview in it's entirety, which is the reporters atanding around and asking him question after question. Golbert obliged and answered each and every question.
Among other things...he said that Nick should be allowed to play his game. That Nick can not play in the offense that "twitch" wants. That Nick is a great asset coming off the bench and creating his own shot. That we have no other player like Nick.
It all makes sense, but any one can make any other person the fool of his choosing.
My concern was why did Gil have to say anything if he was being a good samaritan. It turns out that Nick was the one that exposed Gilbert's plan.
Of bigger concern, is why Coach "Twitch" insists on playing a 6'4" no leap guard at teh small forward. does it not make sense for Nick to be given that chance, given that these games are meaningless, and the perfect opportunity to try other options?
It is what all the teams are doing, but Twitch knows his job is on the line, and is playing every game like it is his last.
Why are we not seeing more of the rooks incorporated with the starters to see what they can do.
It seems to me we are headed towards a very frustrating detoured season, with Twitch playing the straters inordinate minutes to protect himself, not to establish a "team" concept.
The best managers, Coaches etc know how to incorporate as many into the commitment and dedication. Twitch ran into this same problem in Detroit. He alienated too many, by nor giving chances, but overplaying the starters.
Again these are meaningless games, and yes it is nice to establish a winning attitude, but these results disappear in 2 weeks!
Lets see what we have on that bench now , not later, and make the necessary decisions to make this team as competitive as possible.
Does anyone think Twitch is going to adjust?
As For Gilbet, Coach had been praising his work ethic and flexibility before the expose of the fake injury. Gil is unique and very talented. I personally think the team will be better without Gil. He plays zero defense, and is totally unpredictable, and emotionally immature.
But if the plan is to wait and see, what have we to lose in the short term?

Posted by: mricklen | October 13, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

MUCH TO DO ABOUT NOTHING!

Lee, there were a lot of stories in that game.
Nick came alive,Wall did his thing again and blatche might find his groove this year.

Sanders needs to have better relations with his team when a player can see something a coach cant it's time to get out of the game.

I love Gilbert he keeps it interesting!
The NBA is dull he and others makes it fun.

HATERS KEEP HATING!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | October 13, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I have come to believe that Gilbert is similar to other athletes like T.O. and Ron Artest. They all fit the profile of people who suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder. Here's the Wikipedia article on the disorder:

Posted by: thinker11 | October 13, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

What is really disturbing is this mentality he has that seems to be shared by many posters here, that it's okay to lie and manipulate your boss as long as you don't get caught. Just keep your mouth shut, right?

This is the same group of people who think that the problems of poor urban communities are caused by "Snitchers." Stop snitching and the problem will go away.

No, grow up and accept adult responsibility and the problem will go away.

Posted by: biffsteakone | October 13, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Tea party Republicans?

Oy, just when you thought you read it all.

Some basketball player pulls a knucklehead move - again - and folks can't believe it and all of a sudden it's a microcosm of a segment of the body politic?

It's crazy on the internet, that's for sure.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 13, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

But if the plan is to wait and see, what have we to lose in the short term?
Posted by: mricklen

You make some good points, which makes me wonder why you seem okay with the fact that Gil lied and manipulated his coach. Whatever you think of Saunders, it's not Gil's call who starts or who plays. Have you ever heard of a chain of command? There's a reason for it.

When the players start thinking they make the decisions, it turns into the inmates running the asylum. It doesn't ever work. Saunders has his shortcomings, but I guarantee you he knows 500 times more about running a team than Gil does.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 13, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas is an A**hole and wouldn't play on my team again - who does he think he is? No player ever fakes an injury to have his buddy start in his place. Maybe the idiot wanted to see how the team would do without him-Nick hit 10 out of 14 shots and they won. If I were coach his ass would sit on the bench for the next ten games without playing and I would then release him and good ridance he is a cancer and not a team player period!

Posted by: yeldarb | October 13, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

After watching this video, I honestly can say I love Gilbert Arenas now more than ever. I am so sick and tired of the scumbags in the local press who are so obsessed with creating controversies. This is a completely minor incident, and there's very little difference between this and Mike Shanahan exaggerating the extent of McNabb's ankle injury this past preseason to rest him the final 2 games. Players and coaches exaggerate injuries for various reasons in the preseason ALL THE TIME. It happens in EVERY SPORT.

I can't wait to see what Gil's haters have to say when he's playing at an All Star level this season.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"After watching this video, I honestly can say I love Gilbert Arenas now more than ever."

This makes me wonder -- is there a term for people who express unconditional love for Gilbert Arenas? Gilbophiliacs? Arenomaniacs?

The opposite of haters -- Gilbert-fondlers?

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

"...there's very little difference between this and Mike Shanahan exaggerating the extent of McNabb's ankle injury this past preseason to rest him the final 2 games. Players and coaches exaggerate injuries for various reasons in the preseason ALL THE TIME. It happens in EVERY SPORT."

OK, suppose Albert Haynesworth told Mike his ankle hurt too much to play, and Mike went out and directly informed the press. Then three hours later, after the game, Albert told a reporter that he'd just lied so that Jarmon could get more minutes on the field.

How do you think Mike would react?

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

"Saunders said he has already put the situation behind him. "It's just like dealing with your kids, when your kids make mistakes, what you do is you deal with them. It doesn't mean you love them any less. You deal with the mistake and you move on. We've dealt with the issue. The issue is done and we move forward."

I'm guessing what Saunders said to Ernie Grunfeld about the incident was a little more colorful than the above.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't he gonna be on his best behavior this year? Maybe this is the best he can do. If he couldn't play basketball, he'd be in a nut house.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 13, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

But if the plan is to wait and see, what have we to lose in the short term?
Posted by: mricklen

Posted by: NYPDee |

What Gilbert did was for the betterment of the team, and this is exhibition season.
if he had done the same during teh season it would be more egregious.
Again, I think the problem is more the heirarchy as you call it.
Flip is treating this preseason as more imporatnt to win, than see who can play and with whom. there are only 4 returners from last year. Let them all play and lets see and determine who are the players, and those that are not. Then decide and act accordingly.
I truly understand the "chain of command" in business having been the president of companies and organizations. I feel that no one is above the org or team, including the coach. it has to e a unified effort with final say in the hands of the leader/s.
No one can seriously make the point that Gil is an organization man, as opposed to self centered. But I like him and feel he is efforting to be included.
I raise the issue of Derek Jeter, he feigned being hit for the good of the team, and admitted afterwards that he faked it and lied.
The difference is Jeter is an icon, created as much by the press, and Gilbert does not have that status any longer since last years episodes. Jeter's faux pas was during the season and pennant race, Gilbert's was an exhibition game with a 3/4 empty arena. For those who feel he was letting the fans down, my question is where were they. Even by Preseasson standards that "crowd" was a total embarrassment.
Flip has moved on, and I am sure the teammates have as well. how about the fans growing up and moving in the same direction?

Posted by: mricklen | October 13, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The players are the inventory and the product.

Posted by: mricklen | October 13, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Anybody here that says they have never faked being sick on a day when there wasn't anything important going on is a freak'n lie. I've called in sick and maybe even faked a death in the family and enjoyed my day off BUT, I AIN'T THE ONLY ONE! On top of that, we're talking about preseason . . . not a season game, but preseason. I guess we wanna find any bs reason to bi#*ch about Gil!

Posted by: zack5 | October 13, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 7:26 PM

Rather than just rant to EG, how about Flip suspend Gil for 1 game or something? Flip is known as a 'spineless' coach...doesnt an undisclosed fine just further confirm the rep and result in even less control over the team?

Posted by: divi3 | October 13, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Lets see, The first game for John Wall in washington Dc. and know one showed up. huh?
The Wizards 3-1 in the pre season off to good start. Yi looks good, Al thorton looked good in limited time, kirk hinrick blends in so well it seems like a natural fit and all we have to talk about is Gilbert Arenas siting down to give Nick Young minutes. IF you a Wizards fan you should be looking at the basketball games than listening to your stoopid radio or news papers. Its the media job to create the sub story, the underlying plot twist. Keep your eyes on the prise. the Wizards are looking like a team that is going to be a force to wreckon with in the eastern division. After the top four teams in the division the rest is a toss up. I smell redemption in the form of return to the playoffs.

Posted by: joe_eg98 | October 13, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"Also sports are a completely different entity than business or other organizations.The players are the inventory and the product.They are paid in excess of the chain of command. they are the focus, reason for entity, and in effect they dictate to the brass. it is not ideal but a reality. I can understand the perspective that one has to be responsible to the organization, but the players are the organization, not the coach, or the owner.So just a little adjustment is necessary in trying to pinpoint blame and responsibility in this situation.Posted by: mricklen"

Wow. This individual claims to have been 'president of companies and organizations'.

Makes it easier to understand why we're in a recession.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack5 | October 13, 2010 8:25 PM

Did you ride a short bus to school?

I bet when you lied and called in sick, you didn't brag about it in a setting where you knew 100% it would definitely get back to your boss. Arenas did. Do you see the difference?

Posted by: harrybalz | October 13, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

"Rather than just rant to EG, how about Flip suspend Gil for 1 game or something?" posted by: divi3"

Hard for me to believe that a lot of the league's coaches wouldn't have done just that.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

If you are in charge of companies your employees are really in trouble. How can you compare Jeter and Arenas? One is an accomplished pro and champion with a world series ring on every finger, and the other is a moron who has helped win one playoff series against a mediocre Chicago team.

You say: "I can understand the perspective that one has to be responsible to the organization, but the players are the organization, not the coach, or the owner."

It's a team effort. All three have to work together for the team to succeed.

Posted by: biffsteakone | October 13, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I for one am glad to see Gil is back. I def prefer quirky Gil to mopey, and we need the confidant Gil back instead of quiet sullen Gil.

That said, some observations I have early on...

Wall is every bit as advertised & is a bonefide superstar in the making. I REALLY like our G rotation of Wall, Arenas & Hinrich.

I have also been impressed with Yi! He has surprised me with his legit Center size & lowpost skills. I GOTTA SAY I REALLY LIKE OUR C/PF ROTATION OF YI, BLATCHE & MCGEE! Their overall size, skill & athleticism will be hard for teams to match.

Mcgee for all his present shortcomings has improved & will continue to improve.

My starting 5 right now would be Yi, Blatche, Thornton, Gil, Wall, with McGee & Hinrich first off the bench (like Etan & AD used to be).

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 13, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Well lets all jut be thankful that this doesn`t catch on too our football team.
I mean we certainly dont need any Reskins fakin injuries in the preseason and carrying it into the regular season.

I mean its not like the highest paid player on the Redskins iz fakin any Injuries....errr ..ahhh...4get I wrote any of this !

Posted by: FrontRowHarraser | October 13, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

That said, some observations I have early on...

Mcgee for all his present shortcomings has improved & will continue to improve.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 13, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

mrricklin is correct that in the nba the players are often bigger than the coach for reasons of guaranteed$$$ and/or butts in the seats. That's just how the league operates whether fans like it or not.

Posted by: divi3 | October 13, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Makes it easier to understand why we're in a recession.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 8:42 PM

I fully understand, but I am not in a recession, sorry if you are.
Perhaps Mr Sampson someone clipped your locks.
Just let it grow and see if things look a tad different.
Just maybe your recession has something to do with your perspectivs. I dare say that it is easy to blame others. Actually how many are directly affected by any of the BS that is disguided as political discourse in DC. It has no bearing on me, and am sure not much on you either.If it does I apologize.

Posted by: mricklen | October 13, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if MJ ever took a bye on a preseason game just to let a scrub get some burn.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 13, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

"p.s. if your that guy that stuck on the fact i spelled prize wrong your probaly the same person that wants Gill off the team. and thats just plain stoopid.Posted by: joe_eg98"

I don't know what to say about the above.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe_eg98 | October 13, 2010 8:40 PM

Now that you mention it, I was stuck on all the other words you (apparently) unknowingly misspelled. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Posted by: harrybalz | October 13, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

The players run the NBA. I don't know why they even bother having coaches.

Posted by: barbnc | October 13, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

I'm sure if he ever did, it went something like this...

"I'm sitting out this game. Put Armstrong in there."

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes, everybody here (likely) has called in sick when they weren't. I plead guilty.

But we kept it quiet and we sure in the heck didn't do it less than one year after we were caught illegally bringing in guns to the office.

This isn't just (or mostly) about missing a game. This is about missing a game on top of a dozen-and-one other incidents that he's done.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 13, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

A show of hands......who thinks Gilby is going to be on his best behavior from here on until his contract is up?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 13, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mricklen

Nope, no adjustment is necessary. Gil was essentially out for 3 seasons, and the league amazingly went on without him. Just as it has kept going on as all other players come and go. Players (plural) do make the game, but there is never a shortage of players. And when your organization finds itself so beholden to one player that it starts putting too many things to the side, then there's a problem. See Cavaliers, Cleveland.

That being said, this is a speed bump. It was silly and goofy, and as such, not a great sign. But it was a minor infraction.

mricklen,
If you happen to find yourself in a situation where you are immune from the effects of the recent recession, good for you. Blythely dismissing the real suffering of others, though, does indeed explain much, as Samson said.

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 9:40 PM

If any of you want to get into the political scenario responsible for what is a devastating recession, I am willing and ready.
I am in no way intending to undermine the suffering of others and many. Instead Samson inferred that my perspective of the Gilbert situation was somehowe responsible and a root cause of the recession. Needless to say a little perspective is essential.
My point being that many that consider themselves Republicans, which I am not, are not really tremendously affected by the recession. They just use it as an excuse to replace those politically with different priorities. Nothing blithe about it to me, when so many suffer, unneedlessly!
Go Wiz and Obama!!!

Posted by: mricklen | October 13, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

It's a team effort. All three have to work together for the team to succeed.

Posted by: biffsteakone

Excuse me if one cano understand situational comparisons.
I was not comparing Jeter to Arenas, but rather the 2 situations. To be objective you have to isolate situations and remove the other considerations.
Lieing is lieing no matter who is doing it. But the media and the knaves that let them dictate, incorporate prejudices to confuse the arguement.
All I am saying is the both lied and one was extolled and the other reprimanded. One effected the results of the game and the other's actions were basically irrelevant. Guess which one was extolled?

Posted by: mricklen | October 13, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

And someone said we should keep this moron on the team. Cancer metastasizes folks.

Posted by: therev1 | October 13, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Please be my guest. Much as most people here don't want to hear it on a sports blog, if your 'perspective' on the recession is as insightful as your perspective on sports organizations, it should be truly entertaining.

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 13, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

How about a thumbs down.....all 'round. You couldn't shut his yap with a muzzle. He'll be back as front-page news by next week figuring it'll sell air-time and tix. This guy is really demented.

de·ment·ed/diˈmentid/Adjective

Driven to behave irrationally due to anger, distress, or excitement.

Anybody who agrees with me think I used the wrong adjective to describe his thought process?

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 13, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

To all the nonbelievers WRT Gilby, hate to say I told ya'll so, but...who's yer daddy now?

Stunned silence follows......

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 13, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

F@ck Mike Prada of Bullets Forever

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | October 13, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

"You Gil-haters are as bad as tea party republicans. You guys can't just scream slogans and expect that they mean something. Cancer? Really? So, Gil's personality will just spread to every member of the team until it kills them? I mean, this "cancer" crap means nothing at all."

In terms of players, the gun incident directly killed the career of Javaris Crittendon in Washington. Cancer.

It accelerated Grunfeld's decision to blow up the team, leading to the trading of Butler, Jamison, Haywood etc. Cancer.

His general immaturity arguably set a poor example to Nick Young and Andray Blatche, who were extremely slow to develop. Conspiring with the former to fake an injury sets the example that it is OK lie to coaches, to say nothing of the fans, if it suits your personal agenda. Cancer.

His laziness on D as the team's 'star' player on helped forge its identity as one of the weakest defenses in the league. Cancer.

Bringing guns into the locker room of a team which changed its name due to gun violence insulted the legacy of its late owner, and greatly increases the chances we will be stuck with the dumbest name and mascot in the NBA, instead of reverting to the beloved "Bullets". Cancer.

Taking the gun incident lightly, repeatedly, lying about it repeatedly and, in the current scandal, suggesting that he should have lied about his, you guessed it... lie, leaves a poor example to a young team of impressionable men in their early 20s, not to mention young fans. Cancer.

Earning $400,000 a week, and skipping out on a game which many blue collar workers earning less than a tenth as much in an entire year paid tickets for turns off fans and hurts the entire franchise. Cancer.

Bringing more negative attention on the team and city after last year's debacle overshadows the emergence of the first bona-fide star talent we've had in years not to mention inhibits the love fans have for an organization that just suffered through its worst year ever. Cancer.

You could use a different word if you like, but suggesting that his actions have no negative impact on other players, the team, coaches fan and city is willfully ignorant.

Posted by: SammyT1 | October 13, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. Arenas thinks this is just a "media outburst." He thinks he should have handled it differently in that if he didn't say anything, nobody would have known.

In other words, Arenas just doesn't get it.

I had optimistic hopes for this guy coming back from serving time. Not anymore. He'll never know what it is to be a professional, be ethically responsible, or maintain personal integrity.

Ugh, it disgusts me how someone can be so obtuse.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Sammy, I wouldn't put the slow development on Gil. It is kinda the coaches job to develop the players and although young, you do get paid to do a job, so I put the responsibility of developing on the work ethic of the players. Getting rid of Jamison,Caron,Haywood was probably more of a cure than an actual cancer and it was going to happen gun incident or not. Although goofy, you can't say the man doesn't have good intentions and good range to make him hard to just give away. What about Kobe Bryant demanding a trade and his immature beef with Shaq? Micheal Jordan's egotistical beef with Pippen? Making Kwame Brown cry in practice and getting rid of Rip Hamilton. All these incident are more cancerous to a team than trying to help a teammate out. Granted he did lie to the coach but it is also PRESEASON. Get over it, stop looking for reasons to hate gil. If Garnett said his knee was acting up to get Luke Harangody some PT, no one would have said a thing. It would have been a good deed. Appreciate the philanthropic and selfless player we have. He gives it his all every chance he gets. He genuinely wants to play and win basketball games.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 14, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | October

Thank you...I shall pass,as I agree it is not appropriate on this blog.
I will leave it to your imagination. Enjoy!

Posted by: mricklen | October 14, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

"Gilbert Arenas is an A**hole and wouldn't play on my team again - who does he think he is? No player ever fakes an injury to have his buddy start in his place."

Posted by: yeldarb | October 13, 2010 6:55 PM

That's true. Usually when a player fakes an injury it's because he's pissed off about PT, in a contract dispute, or hung over from partying the night before.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 14, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yeldarb | October 13, 2010 6:55 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 14, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

We talkin bout some practice!!! Not a real game!!! Practice!!!

Seriously, Gil will always be cool but he needs to snap out of this funk and fix his face.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | October 14, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

"Sammy, I wouldn't put the slow development on Gil. It is kinda the coaches job to develop the players and although young, you do get paid to do a job, so I put the responsibility of developing on the work ethic of the players."

Gil and Young conspired together to get Young on the floor by lying to the coach. That is about a pure example of a veteran player setting a poor example and inhibiting the professionalism of a younger one as there is. You're absolutely right, they do get paid to do a job, not the coach's job nor the GM's. Anyway, how can the coach execute his "job to develop" players when his players are actively lying to and undermining him?

"Although goofy, you can't say the man doesn't have good intentions"

Getting into the fight with Crittendon, then escalating it with weapons is hardly well intentioned, nor is using your kids as a scapegoat in the matter, lying to the public, making light of it and recanting false apologies. Lying to the coach and disrespecting thousands of fans who came to see him play is hardly noble either. It is selfishness selling itself as good intentions via kool aid drunk by apologists.

"Appreciate the philanthropic and selfless player we have."

That is hilarious.

Posted by: SammyT1 | October 14, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

"You Gil-haters are as bad as tea party republicans. You guys can't just scream slogans and expect that they mean something."
Posted by: Urnesto

Coming from someone who is obviously an Obama supporter, it is rather ironic that you have a problem with yelling slogans without merit...like "hope" and "change". Think about what you type before you just try to inject your hypocritical ignorance and unfounded generalizations about the TEA party while defending a notorious d-bag like Arenas

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | October 14, 2010 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey my apologies. When I am wrong, I will say I am wrong. And I will call a spade a spade. With that being said, WHAT A BONEHEADED THING TO DO! What I am trying to figure out is why did he say something. Maybe he is as so many posters are saying still wanting or missing the attention. Otherwise why admit it? Unless, he really wants to leave here and is trying to find a way out the door. I don't get it. Anybody got the name of a good therapist??

Posted by: ivyleague | October 14, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

And Gtown85, chill man. It ain't that serious! No need in getting personal. I just enjoy blogging with everyone else. Personally, this s..t don't affect my life one way or the other.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 14, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

WIZARDS will continue to struggle until GIL and NICK are gone. This should be the last straw for both, but ARENAS' contract precludes it. NICK's does not, and I would move him quick. He will never become the player he could with GILBERT within close proximity.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 14, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 13, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Probably. I'm wondering if he ever admitted it once accused. There's the difference. Both would be distasteful, but MJ would never let it become a distraction.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 14, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

The day Gilbert changes will be the same day DC_Man88 grows up.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 14, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

If Gilbert is guilty of anything, is that he is naive. Gilbert is not even close of being a bad person and many of us who come on here and try to be self righteous probably have done worse things. So he pulls pranks on his teammates?? Some of what was distasteful but was never intended to do any harm. I have never heard of Arenas going out in the streets and becoming a public nuisance. Arenas is more like that mischievious sibling who runs around the house and drives everybody nuts. For all the people who are calling Gilbert a CANCER and a FELON on the basis of being immature and childish, stop being so uptight. I am willing to bet most of you are not what you assume to be. What I am trying to say is, most of you are a bunch of hypocrites

Posted by: spades72 | October 14, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Gil is a saint.
Saints are unconventional by nature.

Posted by: zengomi | October 14, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Gil didn't show he doesn't want to play he showed he wants this whole team on the same page. Everyone on this board is FU**ing pathetic. Get a life and stop ruining Gils. If you don't support GIl Hope you go to HEll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wizravterp | October 14, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"DC MAN... told us what? Gil did nothing serious at all. Overblown BS for the media to talk about and for trolls like you to pop off about.I bet you're the one with the foot in your mouth when he's lighting up opponents. Is there anything you like about D.C.? Are you one of those DC Cowboys fans too? Do you suck off anyone the fans in DC dislike? Stop hating and say something worth reading clown.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse "

Look at Gilby's track record since he put on a DC uniform. Now, sit down and shut up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 14, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"The day Gilbert changes will be the same day DC_Man88 grows up.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 14, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse "

It doesn't matter what you say about me...what matters is how Gilby is continually hurting the team. Whether you can deal with the truth or not, he's self destructive.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 14, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse