Gilbert Arenas: "I'm moving aside for [John Wall] to become a star"

Nine months to the day after he put his professional basketball career in jeopardy -- when he mocked his gun investigation by playfully shooting his teammates in Philadelphia with his fingers shaped like pistols -- Gilbert Arenas was back on the court, in an NBA uniform, bearing little resemblance to the player most remember.

He's ditched the No. 0 -- and the Agent Zero persona that came with it -- replaced it with the No. 9 and is growing out a thick, scraggly beard that serves as a figurative shield from the outside world.

The ball, the Washington Wizards franchise for that matter, has been taken from his hands and given to fresh-faced rookie, John Wall, who based on the stubble on his chin has a while to go before he compete with Arenas's facial hair. But during the Wizards' 97-94 win on Tuesday, Arenas appeared to have no problem deferring to Wall and assuming the role as complementary shooter.

You guys doing okay since the trade? Mine might be coming. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

"Right now I'm out there to hit open shots, teach John the ins and the outs of the game, and then eventually go on and move on. I'm on my way," Arenas said, offering a subtle hint that he could be dealt before his $111-million contract expires in 2014. "This is the NBA. There's few players that stay in the same city, so right now the city is John's. I'm not here to fight anybody. I'm here to play alongside of him. He's Batman, I'm Robin. When I came in, Larry [Hughes] moved aside for me to become a star and I'm moving aside for him to become a star."

In the past week, Arenas has tried to contain his emotions. But he shared a few laughs with his teammates, as he scored 12 points, and grinned uncontrollably after Lester Hudson dropped the game-winning three-pointer with 2.5 seconds remaining. Afterward, the sentimentality was lost on Arenas. "I lost all feeling a long time ago. Basketball is basketball now, no matter what floor I'm on," Arenas said with a shrug. "It's just basketball. It's not rocket scientist. You go out there and you just play."

Arenas didn't have any interest in being a showman as he makes his fourth attempt at a comeback, having played just 47 games the past three seasons because of injuries to his left knee and a 50-game suspension for bringing guns to the Verizon Center locker room last season. After he hit his first shot -- a zone-busting three-pointer that tied the game at 5 -- Arenas simply turned around, lowered his head, and ran back on defense.

He played a controlled game, never trying to do too much or force the action. He spotted up for open shots, made the extra pass, and was willing to sit back and let Wall or even Andray Blatche get going offensively. "He's tried to play aggressive but yet play under control. Take good shots," Coach Flip Saunders said. "I think he knows a lot is not counted on him. He doesn't have to do everything, but I think he also knows when it's time to go crunch time and we need plays, we'll go to him."

Arenas attempted just nine shots, making five, including two three-pointers, and handed out an assist to newcomer Kirk Hinrich. "I can shoot," he said. "Most people think since I always have the ball in my hands, they think I'm a scorer. I'm a shooter who knows how to score. I should shoot a lot better percentage this year because I don't have to put the ball on ground. Just shoot wide-open shots."

I'm not standing in your way, young fella. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

Wall sought out Arenas before the game, taking the early bus to American Airlines Center to pick his brain before his debut. Wall then used Arenas's advice to not "worry about the hype" and finished with game-highs of 21 points, 9 assists and four steals in 38 minutes. Wall assisted Arenas on one of his shots, a long, 23-foot jumper that gave the Wizards a 68-60 lead in the third quarter.

"I love his game," Arenas said about Wall. "I loved it when he was in high school. He can get to the basket at will. He's fast."

Arenas said he told him, "With the shooters you have on this team and the talent you have, you're going to do everything you want to do. Whatever you feel comfortable, we're just feeding off of you. This is your team and we're behind you. Let him be, let him fly and let us fill in the gaps.

"He's going to be great," Arenas said. "He has knack for finding people and getting to the basket. I told him he's too young to be hitting the ground so hard, so often. When it's all said and done, they're going to have to compare him to what Derrick Rose and them are doing now because he's going to have the ball in his hands and an opportunity to score. He has a whole bunch of shooters around him and we're going to make him look good and he's going to make us look good."

While Arenas helped Wall prepare for his debut, the nine-year veteran was welcomed back with open arms before the game by several members of the Mavericks, including former teammates Brendan Haywood, DeShawn Stevenson and Caron Butler. One-by-one, they lined up to embrace him, and Arenas paused for a brief moment to smile. "My job is to not make friends. My job is to help this team win and saying hello to my old teammates was not part of the job," Arenas said.

Arenas's suspension prompted the Wizards to rebuild and this week will serve as a reminder of that dismantling, with the team also set to face Cleveland and Antawn Jamison -- Arenas's teammate for eight of his first nine seasons. He is now the last member of the Wizards to advance beyond the first round, with Blatche, JaVale McGee and Nick Young the only Wizards remaining from his last regular season game.

"You always start a franchise with a point guard and a big," Arenas said, mentioning Blatche, McGee and Yi Jianlian. "You just build the team around them. You've got to keep building until you get something special and right now they have special players."

When asked if he needed to go elsewhere in order to play a more desirable role, Arenas said, "I'm content on what I'm doing right now. Everything happens for a reason. It's easy to play with [Wall] basically we're basically family. We both came from the same agent [Dan Fegan], so me and him get along great. We're like brother, so if I want my brother to grow, I've got to step down."

Arenas added that is unlikely that there will be a return of the gregarious Arenas who reached superstardom with his game, quirky antics and entertaining quips. "It's a double-headed sword," Arenas said. "I guess at this point I'm at that point where people are going to nitpick everything I do just because I got in trouble, so no. I've just got to be serious and worry about what I'm doing."

By Michael Lee  | October 6, 2010; 2:12 AM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flip Saunders to start Gilbert Arenas, John Wall and Kirk Hinrich
Next: Flip Saunders pleased with Wizards' energy in win over Dallas

Comments

Well.....glad he's opening up I guess. I love Gil and defend him almost every instance but he is a strange dude and I sometimes fear for his well being in the future. He needs a shrink to help him deal with his turbulent past, most humans would not be sane having lived his early life.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 6, 2010 3:32 AM | Report abuse

Does he want to be traded or not, kind of hard to tell from those statements?

Glad that he has a positive attitude towards Wall and the rest of his teammates and I hope he stays and plays the way he played last night.

We have a promising future in DC with or without Gil but I'm not going to lie, I hope it's with him. REDEMPTION!

Posted by: zxhoya | October 6, 2010 3:39 AM | Report abuse

Great to see Javale attempt to play the way his coaches want him to, he always gives maximum effort when he has the breath to do so.

No Booker or Seraphin last night but I'm sure we'll see them soon, especially Booker.

Love Lester Hudson but he looked nervous and didn't have a great effort aside from the dagger at the end, he's a lock imo.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 6, 2010 3:50 AM | Report abuse

We got Yi Jianlian for Quinton Ross!

Posted by: zxhoya | October 6, 2010 4:24 AM | Report abuse

am I the only one who feels depressed after reading this?

Posted by: Marine4Life51 | October 6, 2010 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Double-headed sword?

Posted by: truke | October 6, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the use of "they." He should be saying "w have good pieces."

Posted by: AndrewR1 | October 6, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks God ,I finaly get what i expected from what arenas has to say.
I am sure he will stick to his words in supporting Wall.
EG should win the GM of the year reward,specially
if this team win more than 35 games.
Rebounding and 3 point defense will remain as a problem,i hope the zone defense will do some thing.

Posted by: gtefferra | October 6, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Ok, everyone wondered if Gil can play with Wall. Well, now you have it. I get what he is saying and I am stating it right now, Wall is going to loosen Gilbert up and he will let his light shine again. Just wait. Right now, he is helping Wall get adjusted to the game on the NBA level but Wall is going to bring Gilbert out again. That is, the new Gil. I wish pundits would just leave him alone and let him find his way again. I miss the unbridled joy that Gilber used to play with. Great game last night all except for YOung. He almost single handedly made us lose the game tossing up all of those bricks. I don't see much improvement in his game over last year and you can't count on him taking the last shot. Glad the ball was in the hand of Hudson. Whew! Close call.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 6, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Did you see early in the 2nd quarter when Arenas had the ball by the sideline at the top, and Wall was standing in the center circle waiting for the ball. Arenas motioned for Wall to go into the key area so the he, Arenas, could initiate the play. This was the moment I was waiting for, would wall acquiesce or would he demand the ball. Wall demanded the ball and Flip backed him by calling a play from the bench.

At this moment Arenas realized he is Robin. Practice is one thing, he was thinking that when the game started he would be able to take over. It didn't happen, thus the post game comments.

Posted by: kfrazec | October 6, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Give me a break. What a non-story. Of course Arenas is depressed over the talent of this young team. The only thing worse are the reporters that cater to his self centered impulses when there are so many positives that emerged from last night's game.

Posted by: andypitt | October 6, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I think Gilbert would like to start over somewhere else, and perhaps has finally begun rehabbing his rep as a team player to the point where some other club would take the chance on him. He's only 30, still very productive. There'll always be injury questions, of course, but if he's active for, say, 70 games this season, interest will pick up.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Javale looked pretty good. Sure he had some of his moments, but he certainly held his own out there. And of course that alley-oop was NASTY...the very play we can hope to see often this year.

Posted by: divi3 | October 6, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I was interested in Blake Griffin's debut for the Clips against Portland. The Blazers blew them out early on some strong shooting. Griffin finished 3 of 5 for 9 points and 7 boards in 22 minutes.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

another positive- Fat Blatche came in and schooled defenders while showing a nice stroke. AB couldn't possibly be less prepared for game action, and he effortlessly scored 22. If he dedicates himself into getting his conditioning right, he'll have a great year with Wall making it easy for him. The two of them growing together is what management is looking to as the foundation of the team.

Posted by: divi3 | October 6, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

So now come the back-to-backs, at Cleveland on Thursday, at Chicago on Friday. Against Charlotte last night, the Cavs started a lineup of Jamison (1-9 FGs), Ryan Hollins, Ramon Sessions, Anthony Parker and Joey Graham, but the heaviest minutes went to Jamario Moon at SF, Daniel Gibson, and JJ Hickson. Mo Williams was out with a groin pull and Anderson Varejao DNP for 'personal reasons' (what's more personal than a groin pull?) They beat the Bobcats.

Chicago started Deng at SF and Taj Gibson at PF with Keith Bogans at SG in a loss to the Bucks, but Kyle Korver got more minutes and scored 22. Ronnie Brewer had a hamstring and we might not see him against Washington.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert sounds like an employee who's gotten another job and has given his 2 weeks notice. He's tying up loose ends before his departure and his going away lunch will be a week from Thursday.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 6, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

It is quite clear that Gil is going to exit stage right.
I love him but his personality will not permit a Robin scenario.
I think this team is much stronger in so many ways without Gilbert. His defense remains embarrassing. he is a toreador, not comfortable or interested in defensive intensity. And honestly I do not see any offensive intensity either. It is a waste of his talents to just pop from the outside. He needs the ball to generate his drives.
The best lineup to me is Jm Ab Yi Kh and Jw. It will be very difficult for teams to matchup with this lineup.
And Gil is only a Wall backup to dhow his stuff.
Lost in the banter last night was the domination of the Wiz until the subs arrived. It is obvious that at this point the deficiency is going to be depth. This is not unexpected given the inexperience and youth on our bench.
A very impressive first outing. This team is going to surprise as long as the main cogs are healthy. Otherwise watch out !!
Should be fun.

Posted by: mricklen | October 6, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert's a funny guy.

Wall is going to be a star whether Gil "lets" him or not. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Gil says because if he becomes a great player again (sans distractions), the Wizards will have little incentive to move him unless they can get a great player in return.

Posted by: tgif11 | October 6, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Lester Hudson looks and plays so much like a young Gilbert Arenas. I think he makes this team and will play himself into the rotation.

Posted by: ronniea54 | October 6, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with Yi Jian Lian's rebounding last night. His defense wasn't too shabby either.

Posted by: DCMixmstr | October 6, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Actually, it would be refreshing if Arenas keeps quiet and just plays basketball.

That is all most of us have ever wanted to see.

The fact he recognizes it is a business and to be taken seriously instead of a zoo or carnival attraction is nice to see.

It's been a long time since teams feared coming in to play Washington.

It's time now to put on the game face and build a winner.

And not one built to be the #6 seed and lose in the first round, but a real contender.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Gil get rid of the beard, keep your head up, you're a mentor now a place you have earned. No one not any one should have their talent judge by a mistake. You are still the man on this team. God forbid something happens to Wall, but then who will everyone look to? Your skill was not attached to that incident and frankly if this reporter all others can't find anything better to talk about, STOP WRITING! Enough is Enough, I'm so sick of it. It's time to play ball!
Gill I want to see you perform as you say for the love of the game. I miss Agent Zero and the Hibachi, no matter what anyone says you still got it. I saw it last night. Great game to the whole team and the coaching staff, the chemistry was great! It was great to see some defense. Oh yeah, please sign Hudson!!! The young man proved he deserves a contract. He was great doing the summer league, not sure why the hesitation. One thing that hurt to, seeing the Juice on the other side, still can't get used to.
Michael Lee, I'm sick of your negativty!

Posted by: Beverly7649 | October 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Can you believe this guy?!?! What a freking cry baby. It looks liek Gil doesn't play well with others.Poor Gil the 100 million dollar spoiled brat. I used to love Gil but he has become the poster child for the ego maniacal pro athlete.

Posted by: sjp879 | October 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Few thoughts: loved the 3 guard lineup, reminds me of what the Suns used to do in the late 90's.

Player Observations:

K Hinrich - liked his pace and energy, very pleased and excited with what he can bring as a Wizard. Few bad passed but has great presence and tempo on the court. Great complimentary player/depth player

Blatche - I cant believe I bought into some fool posting on here a couple months back that this metarsal/foot injury was more than likely going to derail Blatche's career. Dude looked outstanding out there and I really didn't think he would pick up from where he left off last year but it looks like he has. Looks a little flabby though needs to tone up a bit.

McGee - had a beast of a game, what more can you say about this guy ?? I know he gained 8 pounds of muscle on his frame. I'd like to see him throw another 8 on his upper body, he could really be a monster.

J Wall - crown em....who is going to be the first certified hater to say I am reckless and foolish for saying this after 1 preseason game. C'mon man it doesn't take but common sense to recognize blinding speed and IQ, and those intangibles don't change no matter how long we watch him for or what situation the circumstance or nature of the game maybe. Crown em, call me out and I will save your comments and show them to you 4 John Wall All Star appearances later. (Barring Injury)

Arenas - shot looked sharp, game looked crisp seemed uninvolved at times though, wanna see if he can be more assertive, jury is still out............

Yi - pleasant surprise of the night (and hopefully the year) shot well from long range, very active defensively, ate glass like a Yi I have never ever seen before. And seems like a he can take off this year into his own. Loved what he put on display tonight. Good lower body strength.... lets put him and Javalay on an upper body strength building regimen, with that the two of them could be a real force !

Hilton Armstrong - man this guy has absolutely ZERO Basketball IQ. Instincts are just horrendous !! May have lower B-Ball IQ than Etan Thomas and Jaheezee White. Someone get rid of him.

Nick Young - as someone else put it: I am sooo over this guy he really just brings nothing that we couldn't get from 59 other guys in the NBA right now. Worst 1st round pick we have made since Jared Jeffries. He has worn out his welcome here.

Boom

Posted by: OG_Barno | October 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If this team wins 20 games this year feel lucky. No inside presence. Wall is a baby he's got to learn how to run a NBA offense and develop better floor vision give him a couple of years.If it wasn't for his draft status he should be coming off of the bench behind Arenas at the 1.With a tame Gilbert Arenas the Wizards are the Timberwolves east.I would trade him since they're going young.

Posted by: Weave160 | October 6, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

One month I give him. A leopard can't change his spots. The guy is crazy. You can only suppress your nature for so long before it just erupts back out. Gil is gonna be Gil, guaranteed.

I'm not saying I don't love the guy, I do. Personally, you can put me in the camp of those who believe Arenas will be the face of the franchise again by the end of this season. He's an unreal talent.

Posted by: Matte | October 6, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if I like the NEW attitude that Gil has taken on but I will forever root for him to do well here or somewhere else. I can't remember a player in recent Wiz/Bullet history that has hit the big shots when the game was on the line. Wall will be a star but he won't win it alone. Gil is a guy that's gotten bad press and way too much backlash in local media. Kick a man when he's made a bad mistake but to continue to to kick him after he's admitted and paid the price should not happen. If Gil didn't have a $100 Mil contract, I doubt he would have gotten killed in the press and by some of the ppl on this blog for so long but I hope he stays and gets beyond this NEW attitude and play to his capabilites and for this, all the haters should move on.

Posted by: zack5 | October 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Nothing more for me to see, Nick Young should not be on the final roster. Trade him, cut him whatever! The Wizards have plenty of scorers and most of them have a concept on how to play defense. dude sucks

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | October 6, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Lets see... Gil Spoke to Micheal Lee last night, and the Wizards played their first Preseason Game. So even when Gil's trying not to be the story, he is the story, and we got very little postgame rundown.

As a team I thought there were a lot of positives from last night's play. Blatche seemed to be showing no ill effects from the foot injury, McGee played mostly under control and had a nice game. Armstrong looked solid off the bench and seems to be working his way into the rotation,and Yi looked really good.

I'm not a fan of the 3 guard look, but the team did play nice help defense from that set, better then I expected. Gil seemed to complement Wall well from the two. And Wall is a human highlight reel, I'm waiting for the "he scores too much for a point guard cries to soon start". The kid will be a scorer in this league because he can get 10-12 trips to the line in his sleep.

Overall not a bad night. I'd agree Young still looks like his own worse enemy and didn't play well last night. If his shots not falling, he drifts around like a zombie instead playing a complete game.

Once I got to see Young and Thorton's combined efforts I could see why Hinrich started. Hinrich just does so many of those little things out on the floor to help the team play better. Saw little of that from either Young or Thorton at the 3.

This team really needs a healthy Howard. If he returns at any where near his Allstar form the Wiz could be a pleasant surprise. He's the one big "IF" factor in predicting how good this team can potentially be.

Yi really rebounded well off the bench, made a couple of nice taps to himself, and got his shot off in the flow of the offense.

To help him on the boards McGee could use a little old fashioned medicine ball work. Great rebounders have really strong hands, if they get their hands to a ball, they rip it out of there. McGee get's balls taken away from him where he did everything else right except the other guy rips the ball away from him.

Wes Unseld Jr. should know this, his father had one of the most massive grips I've ever seen. Like shaking hands with a bear. A very strong bear...

Old coaches used to toss their bigs medicine balls and make them catch it with their arms stretched out above their heads. It teaches getting both hands on the ball and improves hand strength and coordination.

McGee still looks as if he could use some help in that area, but little by little I see nice improvement in his game. He had six blocks last night, but he was seldom jumping at pump fakes. Did a lot better job overall of staying on the floor and moving his feet to slide where he needed to go instead of turning his shoulders. Still makes some bad decisions, but they seem fewer and further between then in the past.

Overall this group seemed to be excepting coaching last night, time will tell if they continue to work together as a team, or they break off into individual agendas.
But game 1 was ok...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 6, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

If it wasn't for his draft status [Wall] should be coming off of the bench behind Arenas at the 1.With a tame Gilbert Arenas the Wizards are the Timberwolves east.I would trade him since they're going young.

Posted by: Weave160 | October 6, 2010 9:24 AM

Did you even watch the game? Wall was the best player on the court last night (apologies to Blatche). Draft status or not, he's earned the right to start at point guard. Gil is playing his natural position - shooting guard.

Posted by: gtown85 | October 6, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

They will need all hands on deck to win 20-25 games this season and it would be nice if the media stopped with all the bullsh#t about Gil being traded,it's bad enough that EG was allowed to turn this franchise into a sub par lottery club, but the attempt to turn this season into a Wall vs.Arenas by some in the media is downright shamefull they can co-exist if the coach has a clue(which he doesn't). This team has maybe three players that are worth turning on the tube to watch on a nightly basis Gil and John Wall being two of them so let them play and have fun and stop trying to turn this into an NBA soap opera every night.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 6, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Just one game but my 2 cents:

Gil looks good health wise but he quickly reminds you of past failures by running down the floor, bricking a shot, and then running back and flailing his arms with the other team getting an easy bucket.

Wall is going to get to the line A LOT.

This team reminds me of Atlanta 4-5 years ago, which isn't all that bad.

Beyond that it's one PRE-season game. Talk to me about 20 games in.

Andd....

Yeah, it's time for NY to go bye-bye.

That Hudson kid DOES have range.

After reading the above, sounds like Gil can't make up his own mind of "who" he wants to be and that's sad.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 6, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

One preseason game does not an 82 game regular season make. Gil is a nine year vet and is not looking to post 25 per in the preseason. Try to enjoy the journey with this team. Long way to go folks.

Posted by: dabwilldo40 | October 6, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Arenas should grow up. His little act is not funny, mature or professional. Buy him out and get rid of him. The sooner the better.

Posted by: interactingdc | October 6, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

The team's weakest sot is still SF. Thorton didn't play that well. NY was terrible (I guess that's what he is, on one game and off the other). Martin is forgettable. I guess I can understand why Saunder started 3 guards, but that would not be the solution come regular season.

Yi played better than I anticipated (led the team in rebound), but he played only as PF, don’t know how well he can play as SF. Booker, Morrison didn’t play (and Serephin didn't play either, even though he is a PF and not a SF).

Gilbert has regained his shooting touch, and played well with Wall together. Unlike Butler who had to hold the ball for a while before attempting a shot, Gil can actually catch and shoot, so there is no problem for him to play off the ball. I just hope that he can also drive to the basket sometimes, and not just be a spot shooter. It is not hard to find a spot shooter in this league, Gil being a great player is because he can drive and he can shoot. Wall's speed is amazing, Hinrich played exactly as I expected, a decent player. Blatche didn't drop off from last season's performance, and McGee looks like has improved a little bit (still caught him once trying to run down court before ball was secured).

I can see this being a competitive team if Howard can recover to his pre-injury self. Otherwise, as stated, no SF!

Posted by: sagaliba | October 6, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Just wait. Arenas looked really good to me last night, and he may come to enjoy his new role quite, not one in which he is no longer the leader, but where he instead shares the lead role with Wall. He may return to glory yet, but without the need always to worry about as much on the court.

He didn't appear to have lost a step, and indeed his head seemed to me to be in the game to a far greater extent than Wall's, who showed some pretty bad raw rookie lapses. The three-guard, twin-tower thing was pretty intriguing.

Beating Dallas in Dallas is never a bad thing, whether it's basketball or football, preseason or regular season. I LIKE Arenas and understand his present bitterness but I really hope he gets over it quickly, because we DEFINITELY will not get value for him in any trade.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | October 6, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Im so torn on this. Part of me thinks its great that Gil is accepting a lesser role & moving the ball because I think if we pass and are unselfish like last night then we will easily make the playoffs. Part of me wants him to also take the game more serious.

Still, I dont want him to be so submissive that he's basically a catch & shoot role player who never tries to do anything big. Sometimes the game is so mental and you can sumbit so much that you take away all your strengths. Meaning, even when he does go to the rack he wont go as hard or when he tries to shoot, he wont have that same confidence. I still think we are better if Wall runs the show, Dray is a beast, but Gil is still that aggressive monster that can get 40 and keep the D on there heels.

This has been my #1 problem with Gil forever. Its like he just doesnt understand that you can do both. You can let the PG run the show & still be aggressive. Its the same thing with his attitude. I want him to be more serious but he will never be as great as he can be if he doesnt keep the fun & joy in his game. Its like he's cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Let Wall run the team but still be the aggressive primary scorer who is serious when he needs to be but has fun also. Its not that hard Gil. Why cant players understand this in alot of sports? Same thing he use to make me mad with when it came to shooting & passing. Its not that hard. Pass when the D is eyeing you and shoot when you have the lane or open shoot. Its not rocket science like he and others make it.

Move the ball Gil but dont be a role player. We need you to be more. Flip is saying that he will still be the go to guy in key moments but Wall was taking the last shots last night even though he's not anywhere on Gil's level when it comes to that and I dont think Gil can flip the switch like Flip thinks. I dont think he can be a submissive role player and then act like Kobe when the game is on the line. His attitude has to change for that at the least.

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 6, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | October 6, 2010 9:36 AM

Yeah, right. Before Grunfeld got here in 2003 Washington was a perennial playoff team that never was in the lottery. He clearly ruined a championship-caliber club and probably loaned Gil the guns for his prank (*sarcasm*). Go slither back under your rock, you idiot.

Posted by: gtown85 | October 6, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

He should be even more agressive now than he's ever been because he doesnt have to worry about handling the ball, setting guys up, and we have other great players on the floor. He can just be that Assassin that he always talks about except dont be a ball hog when doing it. Then he says something dumb about moving on. That might be true but why does he have his mind set on that he's going to light it up when he goes somewhere else but not try to do that here?

No team is even going to want his contract if he plays like a role player. He'll have to be here until his last season and I know he doesnt want to do that. Someone better get in his ear and tell him that what he's saying & thinking makes no sense. He's contradicting himself. If you are bitter & want to go somewhere else then you have to be joveal and play like a star because your contract is way too big.

Dont be scared to attack when you are going to be guarded by 6?7 guys most of the time. He should be able to kill anyone that tall. Be yourself Gil. Just pass when nothings there but we are going to need you to drop 40 some nights when the season starts and it should be easier now than ever. Its almost like he's giving up. Again, I like alot of the things he says but I still dont trust Gil enough for him to mentally know how to operate what he's saying. Instead he will probably try to become a role player and Flip cant allow that to happened. I loved the way he moved the ball last night but dont go completely soft.

BTW, dont get it twisted. I love the way he's taking the kid under his wing and handing over the reigns. Thats big of him, it shows great leadership, and thats what he should do, but that doesnt mean that he has to go sit in the corner & let everyone else have fun. Be aggressive and enjoy the game Gil

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Why does it sound like Arenas should be on suicide watch?

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | October 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"It is not hard to find a spot shooter in this league, Gil being a great player is because he can drive and he can shoot."

Yeah, it's his decision making however that bugs me still.

For the first quarter or so I was like,"Gil looks great!" Then he promptly got the ball ran down the court and pulled a "Gilbert." He then ran back on defense and just couldn't play it.

Quirky or not, he's still "Gilbert" and unless it's a Pat Riley or a Phil Jackson, he's just not going to listen.

He can still drop 25 points on you, but he has other liabilities in his game. For this team to move on it's not going to be with Gilbert Arenas.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 6, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"It's just basketball. It's not rocket scientist."

wow, what a complete tool....

Posted by: Durham2 | October 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

gilbert needs to go,but no one will take him and his salery.your highest paid player needs to be a leader not a clown

Posted by: gainunits | October 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack5 | October 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

His name is Javarris Crittenton.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what fans on here are looking for him to say. Is it really that big of a secret that the media has been rumoring of him being traded? It's not like he said he is the man on this team or anything. He just said what we already know, Wall is the man and his time might be limited here. What is so strange about that? Is that what we spent the whole summer talking about? So why is this news? I personally hope they don't trade him right away because he can still play and I don't think it will be easy to find a player that can score like Gil can, but if they trade him I understand. I just don't get what he said that was so wrong!

Posted by: meatkins | October 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like Gilbert is not getting attached to the Wizards simply because of the possibility of trade. I can't blame him for that. Otherwise he's being a good player and teammate thus far.

Posted by: Eman8 | October 6, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"his name is Javarris Crittenton"

EXACTLY!!!

Posted by: zack5 | October 6, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"it's bad enough that EG was allowed to turn this franchise into a sub par lottery club,...Posted by: dargregmag"

This is a weird concept that somehow manages to hold on in the minds of some folks. Grunfeld has made his share of mistakes, but there's a whole range of other factors that should be considered in the demise of the Arenas-Jamison-Butler-Haywood axis, and folks conveniently ignore them. I imagine that when the Wiz lose a bunch this year, that'll somehow be Grunfeld's fault too, or Saunders, or both.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

When was the last time we had a player that has hit the big winning shots when the game was on the line? Wall has needs time to prove that he can be the man or he'll end up being as reliable as Nick Young from the perimeter. After watching NY not even play up to the level of Jarvis Hayes, wondering why he's still a part of this team.

Posted by: zack5 | October 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Arenas needs help. Has to be the most over sensative human being on Earth.

This reminds me of the "well, if you think I make poor shooting decisions, I'll just refuse to shoot all game" debacle.
Gilbert, just be yourself and stay out of trouble. No one is requiring that you grow a mountain man beard and transform into someone else. We've seen this overreaction before, and it is far past old.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, it's a nothing story. But what did you expect from the Post Sports department these days, sports news?

Gil still sounds like the same self absorbed baby that he has always been. Oh poor me, I'm not the man around here anymore. Oh poor me, I have to defer to a 19 year old. Oh poor me, my face isn't on the side of the arena anymore. If I were Gil I'd get up every day and check my bank balance, then I'd go to work with a smile and do my job as well as possible.

Oh yeah, and I'd actually try to play some defense as well.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 6, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Way too much is being made of Gil's comments. He clearly gets along well with his teammates and obviously tries to supress smiles at times. He's going to be all weird at VC, hit a game winner than walk off the court with a stone cold face despite fans cheering...or some such nonsense.

And the local media will eat it up.

It's nothing really.

If Gil does as he says and hits a high% of open looks off screens etc...he'll be a great contributor to the team, and will have nights where he goes for 38 like old times.

Agree 100% with flohr- Josh Howard's knee is probably the biggest X factor for this team. If he's healthy, the team can win some games for sure

Posted by: divi3 | October 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert,

JW does not need you to do anything to become what he will become and that is an All-Star. Get over yourself son.

John Wall plays on both ends of the floor and will eventually lead this team deep into the playoffs. Just as soon as Arenas and a few other leftovers are on their way..

And GOD WILLING you will not be here by, forget 2014, this years trade deadline!!

I'm so sick of this clown....

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

and it's worth repeating- Andray Blatche stepped onto the court fat and out of shape then proceeded to score 7 of his 9 FGs in the paint. Right in the teeth of Chandler and BTH, guys considered in many circles to be defensive stalwarts. To call that encouraging is an understatement, he's a legit source of scoring no matter who the opponent which will be key if we need to run KH at SF for long stretches.

This team has pieces! Coach'em up Flip

Posted by: divi3 | October 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Does he know or feel that the organization is biding its time to when he can be traded so they can hand everything over to Wall?

Or, does he feel that he must go so that Wall can be The Star of the Team?

Whether it is the Team or Gilbert with this opinion, it is terribly sad.

This is where the Wisdom/Tradition/Knowhow/Foresight of the organization must rise to the occasion.

Why?

Because anybody or organization that believes that any NBA team will win anything without more than one top level NBA star is just foolhardy.

Gilbert doesn't have to move aside for Wall to become an NBA star. Where did he get that notion from?

And why would the Wizards think they can win anything with just John Wall. It will be years, more than four or five, before Blatche and McGee become deep playoff calibre players.

Somebody and PDQuickly better evaluate what Gilbert just said and deside whether or not they just want to play around or seriously compete for a Ring.

If they are serious about a Ring then they better call Gilbert and the whole team in for a PowWow and refocuse the Gameplan.

Or maybe they believe that the path to a Ring is without Gilbert. In that case, let's wait and see what the trade brings.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Player Observations:

Boom

Posted by: OG_Barno | October 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Do I know you? Anyhow, good comments. Agree with pretty much everything except the Nick Young stuff. i'm not over him, he's a nice role player who just need CONSISTENT minutes (not 20 minutes once every 3-4 games like has been the case the last 3 years)

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevenjones

Yet strangely Wall felt comfortable seeking Arenas out for advice before the game. Seems like he has a higher opinion of Arenas than you do. And he's actually met him.

Wall needs all of the help he can get at this point. Between learning to play in the pros, learning to lead a team in the NBA, navigating all of the stuff that comes with the vagaries of celebrity and stardom.....

I think it's good that he has a variety of vets he can talk to to help him through it. Gil, KH, Cassell, all have good things to say and a wider perspective for the kid.

Posted by: ts35 | October 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

GM,

Good stuff. Yi surprised me the most. Hilton on the other hand is deceptive and doesn't stand out but the value is there. It is completely befuddling to me why he looks so short.

His physical presence up and down the floor belies that he is a 7-footer.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully we'll get heavy doses of Booker and Seraphin in the next few days

Posted by: divi3 | October 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I was with you until you had to throw dirt on KH (again) for no apparent reason. It's one game and it's the preseason, but it seemed like the team played pretty well with KH in there. He hit open shots. Didn't look like he got 'abused' by Shawn Marion or Caron, despite giving up 4-5 inches of height. C'mon, you can say it. Hinrich had a solid night. Certainly better than your proposed replacement.

Posted by: ts35 | October 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

And about Blatche...

His problem has never been that he can't do what he did last night, but can and will he do it for consecutive games without losing focus...

He still takes way too many jump shots, and yeah they were falling last night, but what will he do on the nights they don't..

We will see..

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"I was with you until you had to throw dirt on KH (again) for no apparent reason. It's one game and it's the preseason, but it seemed like the team played pretty well with KH in there."

You all are way too sensitive about KH, it's neither dirt nor a stretch to think that relying on him regularly at SF is a troubling matchup. He'd probably be the first person to agree with that, and I bet you he'd rather not be stuck against SFs on the regular. He sure hasnt seemed too thrilled when EG and Flip mention him at 3.

Posted by: divi3 | October 6, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

We will see..

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 11:37 AM

According to espn, 9 of ABs 15FGAs were in the paint last night, so I'm not sure what you mean. I'll take any FGA in the paint, dont care if it's a layup, dunk, or J

Posted by: divi3 | October 6, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Folks gotta remember Areans came into the NBA as a 2 from Arizona, so Wall with his balance of quickness and court intelligence will get Gil open shots. The thing I never liked about Gil was that he overdribbed to get open to shoot jumpers or drive, which in turn ruined his judgement of shot selection, but he'll be more Rip Hamilton in comparaison to what he was, esp. given Flip's system.

Posted by: bernard_thompson | October 6, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe someone complained about Blatche shooting jumpers. Jeez. He got one of the best shots in the game for a big man.

Come on.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 6, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

divi3,

Don't think Blatche is "fat" at all! He was too skinny in my opinion. If added weight does not negatively affect his playing, who cares! As the season progress, I am sure he will loose some weight just due to all the physical activities. As a matter of fact, I think it is nice for him to build up some weight during offseason!

Posted by: sagaliba | October 6, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Marine4Life, I am also depressed after reading this. I want Gil to stick around. I really do. I will miss him a lot, flaws and all.

And if there is any city that loves a redemption story, it's DC. Remember Marion Barry? Redemption is v. popular here.

Posted by: gdiddy7 | October 6, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Actually, the one overly sensitive about KH is you. The team played well with him in the lineup last night. True or false?

But while complimenting AB, who had a very good game, especially considering he's still working his way back, you felt compelled to throw a 'bow to Kirk.

Is he ideal at the 3? Of course not. Does he want to play there a lot? I would imagine not. But....has he complained? Did he sulk or pout about it? Nope, he just went out and played.

Since he is not ideal at the 3, it should be comparatively easy for any of the available options to play well enough to unseat him from that role. So far (granted, only training camp plus one 'real' game in) no one has. So really, what we're talking about is that ANYONE currently healthy and on the roster we play at the 3 will be a troubling matchup. But instead of saying that, you took the shot at the guy who actually had a decent game instead of the other 3 candidates who provided not much of anything.

Hinrich: 28mins 3-7 fg, 2-4 3pt, 1-2 ft, 3 rbs, 4 asts, 2 stls, 2 to's, 3 pf's 9pts.

Martin/Thornton/Young: 43mins 2-11 fg, 0-4 3pt, 5rbs, 3 asts, 1 stl, 1 blk, 2 to's, 9 pf's, 4 pts.

Posted by: ts35 | October 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Those comments by Gilbert says that either he still doesn't get it or the organization doesn't get it."

I say it's both.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 6, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

The only good thing is that Gil changes like the wind and it could only take 1 beast game for him to start being more assertive. The best thing for us is that our opening night game is Orlando.

1st off Gil always tries to crank it up on opening night and this will be a Nationaly televised game. 2nd is that the Magic are probably the number 1 team that would trade for Gil if he still looks like a Superstar so Im banking on the fact that Gil will come out guns blazing on opening night and that will change his mentality

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Anything Gilbert says will get criticized here. And if he says nothing that will get criticized here. But--it's talk. Why worry about the talk--why not let him play and see what happens?

Posted by: BPupp | October 6, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Gil can say anything and the Post releases it to the point where they sound like mouthy little kids of the neighborhood trying to soil another kids reputation. Yeah, he said might go before 2014 but does it really need to be the lead-in at the top of the sports page? It don't mean a thing ya sillies!

Posted by: richs91 | October 6, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

GM,
You should host your own blog.
Great analysis!

The Wall and Gil combination will make Gil and Hughes look like a joke.

I can't watch NY play anymore.

Yi has carried over his play from the World Cup! Good for him.

Posted by: bozomoeman | October 6, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

OMG! Please just enjoy the team. Stop the hating and negativity and ENJOY THE GAME!!!!! We have the start of something great....It appears that some know-it-alls just need to move on.

Posted by: alr47 | October 6, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Listening to Gilbert used to make me bust out laughing. Now, I almost feel like I should bust out crying. I miss the old gun-totin', car rim jackin', sh*t in a rookie's shoes Gilbert. When is he coming back?

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Gil's a complicated man that no one understnds, but his woman.
I damn sure dont!

Posted by: bestowens | October 6, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Opinions, opinions, and stupid thoughts. Keep hope alive! Need multiple talents to win and I will take that 25-30 game bet with anyone, this team will win at least 35+ games if all is healthy and Josh Howard comes back early enough to play the 3 because we have no SF that is a starter that played last night.

Posted by: zack5 | October 6, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

After the gun thing, Gil has overcompenstated. He'll loosen up over time. I for one would like to see "The Return of Agent Zero".

Posted by: bharn | October 6, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Gil was just asking like a spoiled brat for the reporters. He is usually all talk and this probably just another example of his childish atttitude. After thinking more about this I'll bet he starts working like an adult one of these days. His latest act of aattention is just about letting us all know he is still here. We know he needs to have the spotlight on him at all times just like every other ego maniac out there.

Posted by: sjp879 | October 6, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Remember who we're discussing here----Gilbert Arenas.
There is nothing that you can take from what he says or does.
He won't talk one night and the next he won't shut up.
He won't shoot for a couple of q's and then goes off.
Trying to figger him out is crazy.
I think he's gonna play out the year and be the same Gilbert we all know & love & hate.
And he'll want to be here next year.

Posted by: VBFan | October 6, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

arenas has to feel comfortable. he's gagged about his incident,(which is ancient history now) and he has to take on a new role....mentor. he's a lot more savvy than some give him credit for. being a goofball does not mean he doesn't think. it just means he has a silly streak. could be the whole "not here" thing is a smoke screen so he can go about his business of learning to play with wall. i'm pretty sure he learned from the last 3 yrs. that a team wins, and this whole "my team" things some of the players get into is ludicris. in the game, i saw a man in the Process, of changing roles. not perfect yet. a work in progress.

the sf position could end up a number of ways. blatch could actually play there some and put yi at pf. blatch isn't the greatest rebounder anyway, and imagine some of the more traditional sf's trying to guard him down low. just a thought. that would be 3 7ft guys for arenas and wall to play off. pure speculation on my part, but it would be interesting to see for a stretch of a game.

as for nick young.....he needs a fresh start somewhere else. he'll never get it here. a change of scenery, a blow to his ego as in being cut, or traded may light a fire under him. there are not enough matches in dc to start any fire now. he will be a casualty of training camp unless he shows something in the next game. something serious, and more than every 3-4 games.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | October 6, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert,

I'm so sick of this clown....

Posted by: kevenjones

Why are you upset with what he said? He basically said he won't try to sabotage or hinder Wall. But you are one of those who won't be satisfied what Gil does. He says nothing and you bitc-. He says something he is stepping aside for Wall, you cry about that. Gil ain't the only person who needs help.

Get over it. Please.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Wizards Faithful,

You experienced with your own eyes (and ears) what I've been telling you for months--the Wizards are stocked with young talent that will be heard and felt by the NBA sooner rather than later. The Wizards are simply too talented and too hungry to be treated like the redheaded stepchildren of the Southeast division. They will apply their strengths (quickness, length, athleticism, uber talent) against the weaknesses (a cap-busting contract, alpha male uncertainty, lack of depth, Kwame Brown) of their division foes and let the chips fall where they may. I say the chips will fall squarely on the part of the NBA board marked "playoff berth"!

Even the chronically tone-deaf among us had to like the first few bars of the masterpiece written and composed by Ernest Grunfeld and provided for your listening pleasure last night. To the haters: Learn how to make the music come to life in your head based on the notes you see on the music sheet. What a shame it is to recognize brilliance only after the music is played!

In Grunfeld We Trust!!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | October 6, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Arenas still doesn't get it. Gil, man up and admit you were wrong in bringing guns into the locker room. Man up and admit that the Wizards were right for taking your banner down because you brought guns into the locker room. Man up and admit that you need to work hard to get the respect back from your fans. Get this serious BS out of here and return to the fun-loving guy we've always known. Come on Gil, do it. We all want you to continue to play for the Wiz but not this serious chump I see every day.

Posted by: getitritegov | October 6, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert teaching Wall the "ins and outs" of the game??? How to be a volume shooter and proven loser? That is horrible news for the Wiz.

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | October 6, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

melodious_thunk

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game last night.

I also was thinking what YOUNG team has the most talent in the east? Wizards.

Then I thought about how long Miami will be around dominating everybody including the wizards

and woke up out of my dream.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 6, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov

What do you want, blood? You want him to crawl don't you? You want him to kizz your azz.

You want it one way, don't you?

But it's the other way!

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 6, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious. For months people have been saying that Arenas needed to step aside and let Wall be the man. He says flat out that's what his plans are and people are giving him grief for it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 6, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@G-Man11 and kalo_rama ,

I'm just saying most of the fan base is tired of Gilbert and his antics. He doesn't need to say this. It has nothing to do with anything really.

John Wall doesn't need Gilbert to step aside because his play and his play alone will make him a bonified All-Star. Not Bozo stepping aside to do anything..

I'm just sick of Arenas.. couldn't the Net's and Knicks use him...Please

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

You can tell by Gil's comments that the "fun" of basketball has been crushed.

He's always been happy go lucky and now he has been forced by the system to change...sucks for basketball fans.

Posted by: magnetic54 | October 6, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

we must listen to ourselves contradict ourselves for it to have any meaning. i don't do this whole thing alot, but when i do, i hear people unsatisfied with everything said or done concerning the franchises in dc metro area. from what i can tell, most of the guys and gals here are knowledgeable and candid with their thoughts. there are some, however who want the ridiculous. arenas doesn't have to say anything about the incident last season and has been told not to. he's paid his debt to society and a large chunk o' change out of his pocket. he is saying that times have changed and acknowledges that wall will be the face of the team, he accepts this. it doesn't matter how he may express it. he knows this. get off his nutz and let him be whatever it is he's going to be on this team. if you just really don't like him and can't stand the thought of him being a member of the team, tune back in when he's gone, cause right now they want him, and actually need him to do what he does. which is score points from the shooting guard position. smdh

Posted by: joerutgens72 | October 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Exactly. I'm so tired of the Gil haters.

The best player the franchise has had in 20+ years, and a fun guy to watch. Got hurt and made a dumb mistake, for which he has paid dearly and people still treat him like he hasn't done enough.

Posted by: gophercrow | October 6, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@G-Man11 and kalo_rama ,

Posted by: kevenjones

I don't know if most of the fan base is tired like you say. I think a lot of fans want the old Gilbert back.

The other thing is, whatever he did, outside of going to a new team, you would never be satisfied.

Some people you can never please. That is Gil's problem and has been it all along. He needs attention or confirmation. In other words, he has rejection issues(I've said it before, related to being abandoned in a crackhouse by moms). Before he was cheered and the toast of the city. Now he has come to the realization that some of those same fans who cheered for him, getting his jerseys, some got going when the going got tough. And then they can't be pleased no matter, and the prime example is complaining about him saying he would step aside for Wall.

People are soooo phony and fake. You may have a gripe because you bought season tickets last year, but a lot of people are fake and didn't spend a dime. They wanted to "impale" him over a joke. They want more from him. I wouldn't give them shi!. Fu-k 'em. They hold Gilbert to a standard they damn sure don't hold themselves.

It's one thing if it was basketball, but it aint. Gilbert is not OJ.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 6, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The way to go nick, the wizards screw over you all the time . so screw them on the floor, when you play.

Posted by: maejude | October 6, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Gill and Albert Haynesworth can hook up and get a 2 for 1 deal using the same therapist! Lord knows they both need it! its a damn shame neither the Skins or Zards will ever see a return on their investment! ... PS... Bring Portis along because his " Pockets Still Strait"

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

They hold Gilbert to a standard they damn sure don't hold themselves.

It's one thing if it was basketball, but it aint. Gilbert is not OJ.

Posted by: G-Man1

Arent most bloggers self righteous people who hold others to a higher standard than themselves?

Posted by: ged0386 | October 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

rlomax67

You sound like a guy with wealthy athlete envy issues.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 6, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov

You want it one way, don't you?

But it's the other way!

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 6, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Gill sould blame Abe Pollin ( God Rest his Soul ) I think maybe Gill misread the one of the Wizards corporate meno's coming from from Abe/ management stating " Bring your Hun to work day" Gill thought misread the memo and thought it said said "GUN" and the rest is history! Stupid is as Stupid Does Gill ... you have yourself to blame!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 6, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@G-Man11,

You are correct. There is nothing Gil could do to make me feel differently about him outside of playing for another team. I'm guilty as charged!!

I don't think Gil is a bad guy at all. In fact I think Gil is a good guy.

And I'm rooting for him to have the best season of his career. I honestly mean that.

I just wish he would SHUT UP and just play basketball..Is that too much to ask.

When the media asks him about direction of the franchise,just say "hey i'm happy with the direction we are going in"..Thats all...

I'm not asking him to be quiet..But this was just not necessary...

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

rlomax67

You sound like a guy with wealthy athlete envy issues.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 6, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

ged0386 this is NOT the case since I do quite well myself and earn a very lucritive living! I think the combination of Shaq boning Gill's girl and the pressure of dealing with multiple knee injuries and being "THE MAN" for a losing team may have put Gill ( AKA HIBACHI AKA AGENT ZERO ) over the edge. Biggie Smalls may have said it best " Mo Money Mo Problems!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Arenas you got that right. Every article I read that even mentions your name mentions the incident that happened last year. Nothing about your donations to the local schools or visiting the Farms Our own local comentators don't want to move on. One thing they didn't mention is that the Wizards didn't sniff the playoffs until you arrived. Chris Webber Juwan Howard and Strickland went to the Playoffs once and I don't think they ever won a game and that team was certainly more talented than your teams

Posted by: bonggong | October 6, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The first pre season game, all is not focused on Arenas and he has to open his mouth and say he is "stepping aside" for Wall...He is being "pushed" aside whether he likes it or not and apparently he doesn't..

Would be nice if he could just play and be a team guy and SHUT UP..But that is asking too much as his ego won't allow that...More to come from his mouth for sure...just a shame he couldn't just play the first game and let his game speak for him....EGO...EGO...EGO....he will be disruptive for sure very early on....

Posted by: pentagon40 | October 6, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@bonggong,

I would have to agree, but not sure we can compare teams in different era's..

I mean Gil's teams never won more than 45 games and to me the east was weaker and the 96-97 Bullets won 44, but the difference is they had to play the Chicago Bulls, a 69 win team. And the East was much much stronger back then..

You had the Bulls,Knicks,Pacers,Charlotte,Mami,Detroit.orlando..all really good teams back then.go look at the rosters...

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Gil say what you have to say, I'm listening! Do you!!!

Posted by: washwiz | October 6, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

only a stupid coach, gm or fan would want gil to be traded now. regardless of whatever holes are in his game (defensive hustle, mainly), he is STILL a force to be reckonded with. now that he isn't/doesn't have to be the main ball handler, i think his entire game will move up to the next level. the boy is DANGEROUS!

Posted by: dcjazzman | October 6, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Gil saying that he is moving aside is like Clinton Portis saying he is moving aside for Ryan Torain. It was going to happen whether he wanted it to or not. I want Gil to do well but I sense he feels like the victim in all that has happened to him. At this point he should really just let his game do the talking and don't look for ways to have the spotlight on himself.

Posted by: bigceedee | October 6, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@bonggong,

I would have to agree, but not sure we can compare teams in different era's..

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse
________________________________________
No offense but you sound like a hater. There is no way you can compare the 96-97 team to any of those playoffs team Gil played on. First off all the one playoffs' team that he fully played on was awful and was no where as talented as the 96-97 Bullets. Second, he was injured for the other two years and only played in 2 games the last year, so it technically wasn't 'his' team. Let's put it in context, please, if you're going to make statements like that at least get your facts right.

Posted by: meatkins | October 6, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Let us all not forget one small point that I mentioned way back up the page. Is it possible that Gilbert is making that statement because he already knows that the Wizards are biding there time till they deal him.

If this is the context of his statement and I don't know whether it is true or not but if it is, then the statement by Gilbert should be taken a bit differently.

IMO, if the team has already decided that they want to deal Gilbert and Gilbert knows this, then this Wizard organization isn't about winning 24/7.

Be careful what you wish for and how you go about your business if you are really about a Ring.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 6, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure everybody would love to go to work everyday, get paid like a CEO, and be willing to move aside to let the first line manager run the Fortune 500 company.

BTW, Gilby's beard is what it is. It's his shield to protect him from everyone else. It's a mental thing for him.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

A "double-headed sword". This guy really is an idiot.

Posted by: watson31 | October 13, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse