Gilbert Arenas 'sacrifices' for Nick Young

We'll know in a few hours whether Gilbert Arenas's latest faking revelation will be greeted with eye rolls, laughter, "Gil being Gil" shrugs or the team takes the matter seriously. Arenas has never been a guy to stick to the company line -- former Wizards coach Eddie Jordan and Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo can vouch for that.

Nick, I sure hope you appreciate my sacrifice. (Photo by Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

So, it wasn't too shocking that Arenas said after the Wizards' 107-92 victory on Tuesday that his desire to "sacrifice" for Nick Young -- and not a sore left knee -- was the reason he missed what would've been his first preseason game at Verizon Center since his 50-game suspension for bringing guns into the locker room.

"Yeah, I told him I'd sacrifice playing tonight so he'd get some time," Arenas said he told Nick Young, who scored a team-high 24 points on 10 of 14 shooting. "Because I know he's kind of frustrated not getting a chance to crack the three position, especially since we're going three guards. So I told him I'd fake an injury or say something's wrong with me, so he can start."

Arenas followed his statement with a chuckle. When I asked if him his knee was all right, Arenas said, "Yeah, I'm fine." And, he chuckled again.

Arenas probably thought he was doing the right thing to help Young, but the timing was slightly off since this was the home unveiling of the new-look Wizards, led by No. 1 pick John Wall, and served as showcase for a rebuilding team still committed to Arenas.

This would obviously be a much bigger deal if this were a regular season game. It's not unusual for coaches to sit out veteran players from preseason games for no reason whatsoever. Coach Flip Saunders usually gives his vets at least one night off in the preseason, checking off "rest" as the reason for the DNP-CD. Since the league created the inactive list instead of the injured list, teams no longer have to create bogus injuries to give players a night off.

What made last night so odd is that Saunders didn't have to give a reason for not playing Arenas, but he said Arenas was experiencing some soreness in his surgically-repaired left knee. "We had two hard days of practice so I think that he's sore, a little bit stiff today, at least that's what he said to me at shootaround," Saunders said.

Given Arenas's injury history, any mention of knee troubles is typically cause for concern. But Saunders said he wasn't too worried and Arenas certainly didn't look too hurt while warming up with his teammates before the game. So, it looked like he was taking a night off. Saunders may have been aware and decided to cover. He may be upset that Arenas deceived him. Or he may not have cared either way and stuck with what Arenas told him.

Wuh? Don't tell me that I'm going to get attacked for this. (Photo by Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

After the game, Saunders praised Arenas for his commitment to the program that he is trying to establish in Washington. "Gil, in the two years I've been here, has been the easiest guy I've had to coach. Okay?" Saunders said. "So people say, 'Gil, Gil ...' He is receptive and he will do whatever I ask him to do from a coaching standpoint. And I've said that from day one."

Saunders added that Arenas is more likely to defer too much, rather than go overboard with this new group of impressionable, young players. "So I think if I ask him to score, he'll score. If I ask him to set people up, I think he'll try to do that. And he did that last year and he's continued to do that through training camp this year. I think that's one of the reasons that our younger players have been so committed to what we're trying to do because how he's gone about his approach to doing things, too."

A few minutes later, Arenas was back in his familiar corner locker room stall, holding court and talking about making sacrifices for a teammate struggling to get minutes. It could've been a stunt to get a reaction, or maybe Arenas was worried about the reception he'd get in his home debut as No. 9. Arenas said he would be back on Thursday against the Milwaukee Bucks. "Basketball is basketball, but this is the city where I've been playing for the last eight years, and I know they love me here," he said. "I'll be out there."

It is clear that Arenas has ditched that despondent persona that he introduced at media day. Gilbertology appears to be back. He explained that he is going to shave the ultra-thick beard before the Wizards face Orlando in the season opener on Oct. 28.

"I can't go on national TV looking like this," Arenas said with a smile as he rubbed his beard. "I've got to look pretty."

Arenas's locker room stall was filled with the Nike signature shoes of his former idol Penny Hardaway. Adidas dumped Arenas last January after he pleaded guilty to felony gun possession, so Arenas has been wearing Nikes through the first few weeks of training camp -- first the Hardaways, but also Kevin Durant's Hyperfuse kicks. He confirmed what I reported earlier, that he doesn't have a shoe deal with Nike, but added that he will probably experiment with a few shoes this season.

"I'm free," Arenas said as he walked away. "It's like going commando."

* What do you think about Arenas's decision to fake an injury? Vote in a poll (via The Early Lead).

By Michael Lee  | October 13, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas, Nick Young
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas to sit out tonight
Next: Gilbert Arenas: 'I screwed up again'

Comments

So much for our newly minted felon, Gilbert Arenas, learning a lesson over the past few months!

He's still an attention-seeking hound with bad, bad judgement.

Posted by: gimmedat | October 13, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Missed the game last night, but strictly from the box score, it looks like the Mcgee/Yi/Blatche team had a good night of it. McGee isn't all the way there yet, but I'd say that is a good thing, seeing as he is as productive at 22 as Haywood was at 27. Only one personal fould shows he is learning and making progress.

Glad to see that nick got some minutes. A few days ago I suggested we let Nick start 5 games in a row and see if he can develop any consistency. One game and he brought it...at least the shooting touch. Hard to stomach any guy that can't get you a single board or assist, though...Says to me he is just looking out to get his and eff everyone else.

I am happy he showed he can still get his touch, though. there is always a role for a guy that can score, especially as the 6th or 7th guy on the depth chart. I won't be adding Nick to my fantasy team though.

WTH is wrong with Gil? Is he hurt or not? Is he a pathological liar? If you did fake it, why not just shut your pie hole and play it? Why open your mouth about it one way or another?

I feel like Gil is going to have a great season on the court. But I am afraid he is going to be a bit of a distraction, too. Maybe he can be like Rodman and we can all learn to let him be outrageous off court as long as he produces oncourt.

Its just bewildering why he is acting more and more liek Michael Jackson.

Posted by: Blurred | October 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Somebody cut or trade nick young! please! He could potentially be the worst player on the team!

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | October 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

He's still an attention-seeking hound with bad, bad judgement.

Posted by: gimmedat | October 13, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yea and how many times do people have to repeat this statement. If you know who he is, then just say 'Gil being Gil'. Either you accept him or you don't.

Posted by: demonj21 | October 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Gil is definitely one weird dude.
He is a media hound, but I prefer the laughing flaky Gil to the sullen Gil anyday. Now if he had this in a regular season game...

Posted by: bozomoeman | October 13, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I think Flip knew what was up, and was trying to cover for Gilbert. If I were one of the two or three thousand fans who bought tickets to the game last night I'd be angry, but otherwise this isn't even close to being a big deal.

But it will play very, very well for the haters, bigots, and lunatics who frequent the comment sections of the Washington Post. The countdown starts here for when someone blames Gilbert's behavior on liberals, rap music, President Obama, or black people in general.

Posted by: bryc3 | October 13, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas: "Hey Flip, Ted and Ernie, how do you like me now? Maybe next time you'll name me as one of the captains instead of two dudes who still can't find their way to Verizon Center without a GPS!"

Posted by: bobabuie | October 13, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What is it with you and this Gilbert Arenas thing? Damn, is that the only player on the Wizards team! The team won an impressive preseason game and all you can do is talk about whether or not Gilbert faked an injury. He is making all of you look like fools! What the hell?? It almost appears that you are writing such derogatory columns about him because you want him gone. Just focus on the team man and leave this Gil crap alone. We would like to hear about some of the other players you know. Damn! Anybody with any sense knows that dude was joking around. And I am sure that Nick was somewhere near Arenas but these media types are not going to tell you that. Whatever dude! I am done reading this nonsense. I will find my Wizards news somewhere else. Jeeze!

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryc3 | October 13, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

We actually don't get too much of that here on the insider. occasionally, but not often.

Now the rest of the paper...dang there are some angry folks with nothing better to do than write racist screed.

Maybe if they focused on actually accomplishing something, they wouldn't need to blame other folks for them being such angry losers.

Posted by: Blurred | October 13, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Fomer NBA Deputy Commissioner Simon Gourdine must be shaking his head that the image of the NBA has come to this -----> http://clicky.me/7l z

Posted by: Silk32 | October 13, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@ ivyleague: Gilbert was just "joking around" with Crit in the locker room last year, too. How'd that play out?

Posted by: Bellman | October 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It was an "I'm bigger than the coach" thing for Arenas to do- if he's completely serious about it and Flip really did think his knee was sore. Not good on any level, and probably reflects some discontent with Flip tripping over himself to tell everyone KH and Wall are the best players on the team- after they've been in DC all of 5mins. Meanwhile NY/AB/JM cant buy any love.

Hopefully it's just a minor "Gil-ism" but could be a sign of bad things to come.

Posted by: divi3 | October 13, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't see this as an "I'm bigger than the coach" act. Simply because it's PRESEASON. Gil wouldn't do this in the regular season. He loves basketball more than anything. I think most of us can agree Nick Young can play the game, but lacks the confidence of the coach. I see this as a good teammate move. He gave Nick an opportunity and NY showed what he could do.

IMO Nick Young can guard the better SF's in the league as well as the great SG's. Not saying Kirk can't play D, but i don't want him guarding LeTravel or Carmelo.Flip needs to start Young anyway AND give him a vote of confidence.

Also, I doubt Gil is mad about not being a captain. He has never wanted that role. This is all about him helping a player.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | October 13, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Unacceptable stunt if this is not just some joke Gil is playing on the media. Even that would be horrible judgement.

After that it makes me think;
why does Gil feel the need to go to that extreme to get Nick Young some PT in an exhibition game? Three guard line up or not, the team does not have a deep roster at all. Surely NY was going to see some time in an exhibition game, right? With the kind of lead the Wizards had developed, I was surprised some other guys didn't play more. (Hilton Armstrong, Lester Hudson,) Trevor Booker got in the game very late. With the state of the 3 position and his reputation for D and rebounding, I thought Flip would be giving Trevor Booker a real hard look in pre-season.

Posted by: gmac78 | October 13, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Right, ivyleague, everybody knows Gil was just joking!

Gil's never said or done anything when he was actually just being himself that would cause people to question his common sense and judgement or that would reflect badly on the Wizards organization. Never.

Get a grip, Mike Lee.

Posted by: bobabuie | October 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

HELLO!!! Why is this even news? Gil is goofy, plain and simple. The WAPO is deperate for news and Gil suckered them in and they fell for it end of story.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 13, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

You still my boy Gil!!!!

Posted by: jbworldwide | October 13, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I think you are making too much of this. Gil loves to yank peoples chains. Especially reporters!! As long as he does his job in the regular season, I could care less.

Posted by: VaBroker | October 13, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I think most fans in the know on this forum would consider Jeff Malone one of the greatest 3 or 4 shooting guards in team history.

How were his rebound and assist numbers?

Paltry to say the least but his strengths were perimeter shooting, getting to the free throw line and solid on the ball defense.

Why can't NY have that type of roll especially now that the team has 3 excellent passers (Wall, Hinrich, 9mm)?

Some of the attacks on NY sound personal (goofball etc.) Get past it and let the guy be a contributor. All the top teams in the East have snipers off the bench.

Does Nick have to avg 4 rebs/ 3 assists to be a worthwile sub?

Posted by: elfreako | October 13, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

If Arenas actually faked an injury to give a particular teammate a chance at getting more playing time he is indirectly saying that Flip Saunders is not giving Nick Young a fair chance. Or maybe the 3 guard lineup is something he thinks will not work.

Posted by: spades72 | October 13, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm okay with it, since it sounds like he and Flip were on the same page.

Posted by: jimwest20 | October 13, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | October 13, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Very, very true. There is way too much racism on this website, and it starts with people like Michael Wilbon. The guy plays the race card every opportunity he gets. In many ways, he is worse than Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson in this regard. Anyone see his race baiting rant in his most recent column about Brett Favre? He implies that white America will give Favre a pass for his "somehow different than Tiger Woods'" transgressions.

Somehow different? To any colorblind individual, there are a whole lot of key differences between Favre's alleged acts and Tiger Woods'. But then again, Wilbon is anything but colorblind. The guy sees everything through a racial prism and often crosses the line between your every day racial victimhood mentality and outright race-baiting.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I love it when someone pokes the media. Gil knows this will be run for the rest of the week and will get a good laugh out of it. No harm, no foul!!! It serves the readers right to fall for the media reports. It DOES NOT MATTER if he faked or not and it only enhances the point that the "journalist" covering have KNOW CLUE to what is and is not newsworthy. Light them up GA

Posted by: cmann083@yahoo.com | October 13, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako

don't forget about "Bulletproof". He is a excellent passer too.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 13, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"HELLO!!! Why is this even news? Gil is goofy, plain and simple.

Posted by: dargregmag"

Why is this news?

Seriously?

It's appalling how people can't see the severe issues with this.

The man faked an injury to avoid playing.

He usurped his coaches power to make roster decisions.

He altered what Saunders wanted to due in this season warm-up.

He quit on his teammates before the game started.

He broke the trust of his teammates and coaches, who first and foremost rely on knowing their teammates are playing 100% all the time, every day.

He'll never be taken at his word again.

He exhibited a complete disregard for professionalism and ethical conduct.

He showed that he is a man of little integrity.

This is the reason why I wanted Arenas gone from this locker room. This team was rebuilt with emphasis on transforming the culture of this franchise. This team was supposed to be built on hard work, accountability, teamwork, and integrity. No shortcuts, no easy ways out of things.

Then Arenas comes out and basically says "I don't want to play today, end of story."

It's repulsive. Nothing has changed with this man.

Posted by: psps23 | October 13, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

All I am saying is, and this is "my" opinion which is that it appears to me that "you" media type don't know what the hell you want from this guy. If he doesn't talk, you call him names, if he does try to resort to funning around, you trash him. Hell, I wish he would go to another team. Maybe then he won't have to deal with the shiggity he gets from the post. Make up your mind is all I am saying. We all know he is a little flaky and says strange things. Why make a mountain out of a molehill! You all sit there with your pens and just wait for him to slip up. He is damned if he do and damned if he don't.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Does Nick have to avg 4 rebs/ 3 assists to be a worthwile sub?

Posted by: elfreako | October 13, 2010 11:45 AM |

No. His fans just need to realize that he's not good enough to be a starter and that when he doesn't have a good scoring night, he likely won't play much. That simple.

Posted by: bobabuie | October 13, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Gil is still playing the media (and half the ppl on this blog) for suckers. If he claimed to have been abducted by UFO's, ppl wld start looking up.

rubes !

I'd suggest not trying to parse every statement that comes out of his mouth. This was clearly a dig at his boy, NY.

Posted by: original_mark | October 13, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"It's repulsive. Nothing has changed with this man."

What psps23 said. :)

And I sent Ted and email saying the exact same thing. Ted keeps hitting me up for season tickets, but if he replies this time, I am going to tell him even if I could afford them I would not even consider buying them until Gilbert Arenas is gone from this organization.

He's never going to learn and he blames everyone but himself when he does something he's not supposed to.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 13, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

ivyleague, haters are gonna hate no matter what. There are ppl that don't like Gil and will put a negative spin on things whenever he's involved.
This was a non-story that has blown up into national news. Eventually it'll come out that Flip and Gil agreed that he wouldnt play. Gil was probably teasing NY about not playing a lot of minutes so far.

Posted by: original_mark | October 13, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Cool Ray...really cool. So what you're saying is you're not a Wizards fan but you're Anti-Arenas. I wouldn't want you at the games if you're only paying attention to one player.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

He is a BUM.

No more BUMS on any DC teams.

Get rid of Gil BUM Pain-in-ur-Arenas, before he c$aps in another shoe.

Freaking shoe crapper.

BUM!

Posted by: Tobor58 | October 13, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

if the coaches aren't complaining
if the players '' ;;

then shut UP

anyone really believe that Gil was scheduled to play!

Posted by: aypub | October 13, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

here's the truth: Gil has told many around the Wiz locker room that he only wants to play road games. He doesnt' want to play any home games. Probably won't work, but should give you the state of his mind. He hates DC fans, hates the Wizards for not lying for him during the gun incident. He's doing everything he can to get traded.

Posted by: heresthescoop | October 13, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I have commented about superstar players that are also the ultimate leaders of their teams.

I remember way back in high school when John Lucas played at Hillside High, John Lucas's father, John Lucas Senior, was also the principal.

John Lucas Jr. ran the team. He decided when to come out the game and who played and whether they needed to be benched.

I can still see Lucas now waving the coach off when the coach wanted to sub him.

Michael Jordan decided that Doug Collins wasn't the right fit in Chicago and in came Mr. Jackson.

Majic Johnson also had some sayso on whom would be coaching him and the Lakers.

Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, and other dominent leaders had great impact and influence on how ought the team should be run.

Kobe Bryant, another one, and at the same time, the Big Three in Boston have a great influence on the Team.

The Orlando Majic may always get close, but may never win a Ring because they don't have an ultimate leader on that team.

Now, when it comes to John Wall and Gilbert Arenas, the Wizards have an ultimate leader right now in Gilbert Arenas and John Wall may well be on the come.

If Gilbert Arena truly realizes that he is an ultimate leader, exemplified in what he did last night, then Flip Saunders is in deep Kimchi.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Larry, Gilbert doesn't want to be the leader of the team. That is perfectly fine. Another thing..Kobe's great and obviously does work, but Phil once said he is one of the most uncoachable players he has coached. Also, the Big Three in Boston are buying into Doc Rivers, not the other way around. Flips job isn't in trouble because of what Gil or any other player thinks.It's completely up to Ted and Ernie...Ya DIGGG!?? (Added Larryism)

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Your star player, your superstar, your leader, has to use his sore knee as an excuse for the coach to give a player some playing time.

And Gilbert's opinion of Nick Young is undoubtedly different from that of Flip Saunders.

That is the real issue here people. Stop talking around the subject and speak to really what is going on here.

Gilbert Arenas may very well have a sore knee as a matter of normality now and he may know that he can use the condition to his advantage, or TO THE TEAMS ADVANTAGE.

Like I said last night, I did not see the game, but I would have thought that in a blowout that Booker had gotten more time than alluded to above.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

don't want to play home games (really)! trying to get traded (really) darn believe that - oh my. there's so may things to do to get traded if at all possible...C'mon people stop buying into Gil's antics, he'll tell a reporter anything, they'll write it and you folks believe (IT)!

Posted by: aypub | October 13, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if Arenas is telling a lie to give teamate minutes, or telling a lie to cover up his knee problem.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 13, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Lies, lies and felonies. Maybe he should change sports and go with the Bengals.

Posted by: mortified469 | October 13, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 12:36 PM

Guess what Wizbullets88. AGREED!!!

Kobe may be uncoachable, but his desire and will to win moves and exudes through that entire Team. His desire to win is Jordanese.

The Big Three do indeed exude the inspiration, the desire, the guts and determination to win imparted on them from Doc Rivers.

You noticed I said that if Gilbert truly realizes he is the ultimate leader, because he doesn't yet, then Flip is in trouble. And it will not be up to Ted and Ernie for Flip to be in trouble of his own making.

It may be up to Flip and Ernie to fire him, but the trouble, or the deep Kimchi, I am referring too is the mishandling of this basketball team with his narrow minded coaching.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

speaking of 'coaching' why aren't we seeing our bench players more? what's the preseason for anyway. OK i guess when you're making a play-off run there's no time for 'learning'

Posted by: aypub | October 13, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

This is very simple marketing by the post writers. All of the post writers are pretty weak, no one having any real reputation outside of the region. However Gil is more famous than any of them and every chance they can they are going to write about, quote, opine, and assume stuff about Gil. All of them dream of becoming the next Tony and Wilbon show (who both were decent writers back in the 80's- not so much now)

It's all about web hits. Unfortunately we, the local fans, are the ones that have to stomach it every day, day in and day out.

If I was Gil I'd start making stuff up also- just to see how far these crappy reporters will run with it.

Posted by: dcperspective | October 13, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gil, it would be funny if you hobble out Thursday against the Milwaukee Bucks on crutches and your knee iced up when they call your name...

I'm sure David Stern would get the humor

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 13, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I feel ya Larry. I wouldn't call it mishandling YET, but if they start losing again and Flip refuses to play the players that we all see have potential, he will in fact be in deep kimchi. But Flip does have a good track record of winning games and he claims he has PG he needs to run his offense. Until we start tanking, Flip has my vote of confidence.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

That's a simple mf. People lie about injuries all the time, but to admit it was a lie is simple. The funny part is everybody taking sides when the dude could care less. I guess if I had $50 million in the bank I wouldn't give a damn what anybody thought either. Most of these dudes just care about getting paid. There are a few guys on the top clubs that care about winning. The po' folks who shell out money expecting to see some sincerity are the ones I feel bad for. They're as simple as Arenas is, only difference is they can't hit a three.

Posted by: Brue | October 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@psp

The man faked an injury to avoid playing.
He said he faked an injury, we don't know if he would have played anyway.

He usurped his coaches power to make roster decisions.
Kind of sounds like the coaches were in on this. If he wasn't going to play anyway this would deflect questions away from Flip about why Gil didn't play.

He altered what Saunders wanted to due in this season warm-up.
Do you really know what Flip wanted to see in this game? BTW, it should be "do" not "due".

He quit on his teammates before the game started.
WTF? They probably knew what the deal was and if any of the report is accurate he was actually trying to help a teammate.

Again, WTF?

He'll never be taken at his word again.
I'm sure you would've never taken him at his word anyway.

He exhibited a complete disregard for professionalism and ethical conduct.
You are WAY overreacting to this, his gun stunt did show disregard for professionalism and ethical conduct, but this doesn't even matter.

He showed that he is a man of little integrity.
I don't even know how you came up with this one except your obvious blind hatred for Gil.

You don't want Gil on the team and that's fine, it's your opinion. But you made a lot of assumptions about what went on in locker room regarding the coaches and players. If you have inside knowledge of this, please let us know who you are and what your position is with the organization so we can accept the opinions you try to express as facts.

Posted by: ds_kelly | October 13, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

How would Arenas know that Flip was going to start Nick Young in his place? Think about it!

Posted by: bobilly2 | October 13, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

If you watched Gilbert's post-game interview, instead of relying on Michael Lee's skewed version of events or Tracee Hamilton's bombast this morning, it's pretty obvious Gilbert was being facetious. The WAPO, determined to portray Gilbert as a lunatic (or Wilbon's favorite -- as a cancer -- an affront to anyone who actually has cancer, by the way) that it's lost its ability to distinguish fact from fiction. And Gilbert's the irresponsible, unprofessional one?

Posted by: Fief1 | October 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Amen to dcperspective! Or I would run for the hills when I saw any of them coming my way. Screw it, let them talk. I would not open my mouth and say one word. It would all be yes or no and if that don't work, just shrug. But don't give these fools any ammunition. (no pun intended) Case in point: this post and the one before it. Where is the love for the team win last night? Wall, beware my man, beware.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Arenas's motives may have been noble, but the need to take public credit kind of undermines the whole-effort. It also undercuts his head coach and his head coach's credibility.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

If the guy performs on the court, OK. But wow, S-T-U-P-I-D. Faking an injury and then publicly admitting it, regardless of the motive is the kind of thing that could lead to a suspension. Also, it's the kind of stupidity that could give the organization cause to terminate.

In terms of the NBA collective bargaining agreement too, Arenas's antics don't help. The owners are probably going to push for non-guaranteed contracts anyways, but stuff like this on top of Arenas's other antics kind of make the case for why some sort of escape clause in player contracts is necessary.

Posted by: JPRS | October 13, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

And Fief1, I am willing to bet that Nick Young was standing some where near and he was just giving Nick the business as they are very close friends. What is up with the Post? Maybe they are pissed because Leonsis let them have it over the coverage of the Bullets name. They are becoming the Fox news of newspapers. All fluff no substance. At least when Ivan Carter covered the team and wrote this post, it wasn't one dimensional.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Is Wall A Lock For ROY?

Everyone seems to assume this and I still pick him but he's going to have a hard fight with 2 guys in particular. Cousins looks very good and has been beasting cats. I think everyone was aware of him but the 1 guy everyone keeps forgetting about is Griffin. He's still up for the award since he didnt play last year and he looks like a man child out there. This will be a great 3 headed race all year but it should be Wall's to lose

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

You want it one way.

Gil is teasing all his fake, holier than thou detractors. The sad part is, is that they fall for it. Look at them whine about him.

You want him to crawl around, be quiet. That ain't gonna happen. As long as he does it in games, not pre-season, but games that are real, there is no need to whine or complain. Just like it ain't no need to respond to people like DC-Man's idiocy, cause when you respond to DC-Man's idiocy, you feed what he craves. That is the same is Gil, y'all feed his need for attention.

So Gil gonna continue to play y'all until y'all, and the media, shut the fu-k up!

I said it before, you want it one way!!! But it's the other way!!!

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 13, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I would think the coaches communicate with their players enough to tell them who will be starting. Just imagine the players lining up courtside waiting for the PA annoucer to go over the starting lineup hoping he calls their name.

Posted by: ds_kelly | October 13, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

dlts,

I like Cousins too, but I think he will have a hard time playing at a consistent the whole season, more than Wall and Blake.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 13, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I meant in the above: consistent level

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 13, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe Gill faked the soreness in his knee. That part of this whole thing is probably true.

I think any of the posters here that have commented and knows about knee surgeries and how they hold up years to come may very well say that soreness isn't an uncommon reoccuring thing.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

This BUFFOON needs to be tied down...have that NASTY beard shaved off with a dull razor and NO soap and water....

and then taken to the woodshed by the LEAGUE, with his father and agent present...and read the RIOT ACT......to CEASE or DISAPPEAR....with NO CONTRACT....BANNED FOR LIFE....

Posted by: GRIMReaper55 | October 13, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

You want it one way. But it's the other way.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 13, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

G-man11, I feel the same way about Cousins. I think he will look like a certified beast at times and totally dissapear at other times. Blake & Wall will be pretty consistent all year

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 13, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Oy. The more I hear from this team, the less sense they make.

If the story is as written, and Gil 'faked' his injury, then he needs to be punished. Nothing dramatic, but a token fine, or pulled out of the starting lineup to start the regular season. Something that at least indicates that the organization doesn't condone that kind of behavior from it's players.

If there's something else going on, they (Gil, Flip, the organization) need to stop dancing around and just be straight with the fans and media. The organization has enough credibility issues as it is. Among Ted's list of 101 things to address, organizational crediblity should be near the top of the list.

Having these bizarre little moments pop up does no good for anyone.

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | October 13, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

100% agree. I wish I could see the look on that imbecile Michael Lee's face when he realizes how stupid and ridiculous his "report" on Arenas was.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

And, imo, if Gil did indeed feel that strongly about NY playing, the 'superstar leader,' 'i've changed my ways' thing to do would be to go to Flip and say "We're gonna need Nick this season. Give him my playing time tonight, let him show you what he can do."

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Gil was fined for last night.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 13, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU, Gil was fined according to who. Where is this fact posted??

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 11:17 AM

He's the only one making $17,730,694 this season. About a third of the Wizards payroll.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Flip Saunders said that Arenas has been fined for his comments. He didn't disclose the amount of the fine, saying it was a personnel matter.

Arenas reportedly apologized for his actions, according to SB Nation D.C.'s Sean Fagan, who is at practice. He admitted that he lied to Saunders about the extent of his injury.

Posted by: divi3 | October 13, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Gil was fined according to who. Where is this fact posted??

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 2:10 PM

"Gilbert Arenas has apologized for faking a knee injury Tuesday night and Wizards Coach Flip Saunders said that Arenas has been fined."

- Cindy Boren

Posted by: Kev29 | October 13, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Just heard as well that Gilbert was fined but also like I said the knee really was sore. But he was fined for saying that he faked it so that Young could play.

He also has apologized. Injuries also are covered under CBA, so Gilbert once again turns something small to him to something way more serious.

Even though his knee was truly sore, you cannot come out and say you are faking so a teammate can play.

He probably was once again trying to be humorous about something and just can't get it right.

Come one Gill, I am pulling for you man, you are the leader, darn it, act like it.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert: Remember that Seinfeld episode that George decided all his intuition was wrong and started to do the opposite of what his initial impulse was and everything started to work out for him?

What ever you feel like saying or doing...

DO/SAY THE OPPOSITE!

That sound advice is free of charge.

Posted by: DaveLopan | October 13, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

What ever you feel like saying or doing...

DO/SAY THE OPPOSITE!

That sound advice is free of charge.

Posted by: DaveLopan

LOL!

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The report I heard on the Fan indicates from one of their regular sources and he emphasized that Gilbert did have a sore knee.

Cindy's report seems to indicate that Gilbert fabricated the sore knee. The Fan report indicates he was fined for saying he did not have a sore knee so that Young could get playing time.

In actuality, he did not lie to Flip earlier in the day when told him he was experiencing soreness.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

There is way too much racism on this website

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 11:52 AM |

then quit talking about it moron

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to say but ole Agent Zero is appearing more and more psycho and unstable by the day. This guy should be suspended by the team indefinitely. Oh and how did the ticket buyers last night like his ruse? He's really lost it.

You'd think after everything that has happened the guy would simply shut his trap and tow the line. He really doesn't get it.
Enough is enough.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | October 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Young shot 10 of 14.... Has Arenas ever done that?

This guy is such a joke. I feel so sorry for die-hard Wiz fans having to deal with this guy for the next 4 years. The fans of DC deserve better than this attention hungry clown.

Arenas isn't going to make headlines with his average (at absolute best) play on the court, so he has to make headlines by saying/doing outlandish things off the court. I'm so sick of this guy! I would never wish an injury on anybody not named Kobe "the rapist" Bryant, but.....

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | October 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 = thank god you don't post on RI

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

gil is a quotable machine. "Going Commando" "I'm Free now" "I faked the injury"

Posted by: jefferu | October 13, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Gil was fined for last night.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 13, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The reports indicate he was fined for ignoring the media so he could not have been fined for last night.

Posted by: NewManagement | October 13, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

This is less about Arenas and more about FLIP. Between Young being pissed about time, Arenas' antics, and Blatche's sitting out the end of a game last season I'm starting to wonder what our coach is doing. Does he have ANY control over this team? Would Arenas asking Flip to play Young more fallen on deaf ears, or did Arenas even try? Did he feel trying was even an option? FLIP, get your roster in order and get your players in line. Honestly, I kinda agree with Gil, b/c Young should get more minutes, especially in the pre-season, where an injury-prone former superstar should be used tepidly.

Flip, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING???

Posted by: mcgratsp | October 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Arenas should hire a spokesperson in dealing with the media. Some kind of public relations person to save him from saying and doing stupid stuff. Maybe if he had an agent he could have been getting some professional advise.

Posted by: spades72 | October 13, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Young shot 10 of 14.... Has Arenas ever done that?

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | October 13, 2010 2:29 PM

Please, Gilbert is a nutjob, but let's not pretend he can't shoot.

Has he ever gone 10-14? How about this gem of a night...?

Gilbert Arenas
MP 30:16
FG 13 - FGA 16
3P 7 - 3PA 10
FT 13 - FTA 14
POINTS 46

He needs to shut up and play. That's the only way forward for him - with the Wizards or with another team via trade.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Young shot 10 of 14.... Has Arenas ever done that?
Posted by: Max_in_Missouri

He went 9-13 last year (Oct31). He also managed to go to the line 12 times (11-12) and add 7 assists. He also went 15-25 (dec18) and added 13 assists. Young ever done that?

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

If Gil did that to give the kid a shot, no big deal. The real issue is will this kid ever contribute? Getting hot in a meaningless preseason game ain't the same as battling for that playoff spot game. He's wasted enough time; that 'too young' stuff is over. Step up or go home.

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What else is new? These men have been pandered to since boyhood when their talent was revealed and have garnered millions of dollars for playing a game - entertainment. Few of them came out of the old Puritan work ethic with expectations of honoring a contract or fulfilling obligations. That's for wusses - take what you can get and mess with the coach and owners heads. Who cares - they don't. They commit crimes, drive drunk, beat up people and are careless beyond belief. Yet we keep paying them and fawning over them. For people like Arenas life is a joke and they don't care who its on. Soft-tissue injuries are the most easily faked and this is not the only sport its practiced in - football is also guilty. The problem is not them, it's us for tolerating and rewarding their behavior. Make the contracts unbreakable and enforceable or they get fired and blacklisted from every team. When the attention and money ceases, so will the shenannigans.

Posted by: jcaroleclarke | October 13, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

And why does Gil's money bother you Kev'29. It doesn't me cause it ain't coming out of my pocket nor is it paying my mortagage. What he makes or doesn't make has no bearing on what I think about him. You may not care for the guy and that is fair and that is your right, but, even though he is flaky as hell and has no filter from his brain to his mouth, I still like the guy. What can I say? Call me stupid, dumb or what ever? Gil has a heart of gold and I like him. Know somebody whose personality is almost identical. I am sure he was just joking around and all of the publicity got him in trouble. Had the "Post" not made a big deal over it, it would most probably have been a nonissue. I guess when he doesn't speak again, they will be calling him "Emo" or whatever that crazy shiggity is.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Gil's like a kid, always testing the boundaries. He wants to see if the coach, the organization and the fans will still love him after he screws up. He'll even take the "punishment" - a fine in this case - with a smile, so long as he feels like he's being loved. That's Gil.

Posted by: gadlut | October 13, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What if this was all planned and we just don't understand the full story. Flip could have said to Gil I want to give Nick some solid minutes to see what he can do this game and you can play tonight if you want to or take the night off. That way technically it was Arenas' choice and there could have been some sort of communication error where Arenas said you know what that sounds good I'll rest my tired knees. Last year Flip alternated with which veterans to take the night off.

Posted by: jefferu | October 13, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

And why does Gil's money bother you Kev'29.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 2:45 PM

Ummm, because the NBA has a salary cap

Posted by: Kev29 | October 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Truly, because it is Gilbert, we all mostly aren't seeing the Forest For The Trees.

The bigger issue is what I have alluded to before is; Why does/did Gilbert feel the need to do something like this to get a fella teammate some playing time???

This is preseason and maybe he felt that all the players should be getting more of a chance/look to show what they can do.

Maybe Gilbert does have an underlying issue with the way Saunders is approaching things. Maybe this was his way of addressing it.

Young isn't the only player where it seems that Flip is really seriously auditioning.

I hope most of you Flip pundits really have it right, for if you are not, we are in for a much rougher season than anticipated. It will not be any of the excitement expected with the acquisition of one John Wall.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

And???????????

Posted by: ivyleague | October 13, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Ole Flipper had no control over the team last year and it appears to be the same old story this season. This guy is a joke of a coach. That he didn't suspend Arenas is simply amazing.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | October 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

...that Flip isn't really seriously...

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

man gil is a strange bird

Posted by: bford1kb | October 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Because he's a knucklehead?

Posted by: ts35 | October 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

If he faked an injury than he used poor judgment as usual and is still an overpaid imbecile. Alot of people pay alot of money to see him play, unfortunately, and if he faked an injury, he cheated them. Not the biggest deal in the world, but for this cretin, who should be doing everything "by the book", it is surprising he would, once again, exercise poor judgment.

Posted by: jackson641 | October 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

LMAO.

Ivyleague has been blasting everybody all day over Gil's "joke" about faking his injury and how stupid everyone is for taking his comments seriously. Lo and behold, Gil wasn't joking. He purposefully manipulated his coach's lineup by lying about his knee. What a surprise!

Make no mistake, there will be other incidents and Ivyleague will be here, gripping his nutz with all her might and refusing to see him for what he is: a team cancer.

Isn't it ironic that THE veteran of the team is the one being fined and dressed down in front of the whole team for being a moron, not some wet-behind-the-ears rook or young vet? The fact that Arenas couldn't make it through preseason without putting his foot in his mouth and is feigning ignorance over the ensuing backlash tells me that this will not end well.

Mr. Leonsis, your move.

Posted by: gtown85 | October 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Skins_fan_22,

If I got the story straight as 106 The Fan has reported it, then it isn't a suspendable offense.

As to whether Flip has control of the Team, he does. Do the players respect and are they buying in to the way he is doing things is an open question.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The beat reporter on 980am said Gil's knee was sore and the lie was to the media rather than Flip. Who knows.

I wouldnt care really, except that if it was a straight lie to Flip and seriously about NYs lack of playing time....it lends itself to Gil not being ok with the Wall/Hinrich era. Which could lead to another "non shooting" game from him or some such other nonsense

Posted by: divi3 | October 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"I was trying to be a good teammate. Nick wanted to play," Arenas said (via Michael Lee). "I lied to coach and told him my knee was sore."

Arenas was asked if perhaps there have been an alternative to getting Young more playing time. "In hindsight now I would say yes. I wasn't thinking this would be another media outburst," he said (via Bullets Forever). "Everything that I do now is someone tit for tat trying to blow it out of proportion. Ya know at the end of the day Nick is happy. He got to play, got to show that he can play. And I'm out here taking all the heat again."

Posted by: gtown85 | October 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"I screwed up again"? No Sheite!

You screwed up with the gun charge. You screwed up with your actions afterwards. You screwed up with the "I'm not smiling" attitude. You screwed up with the statement about moving on. And now you've screwed up again.

Would it be far-fetched to think that the Wizards believe you have screwed up too many timesa and need to go?

Posted by: keedrow | October 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

What Gilbert is showing fans and the Wizards is that he simply cannot handle playing second fiddle to John Wall. He needs attention like the Prima Dona he is.

Posted by: keedrow | October 13, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Gtown85,

I think we need to defer/ask Mr. Lee whether in fact did Gilbert have a sore knee or not.

One report has him lying about the fact that he did not have a sore knee at all.

Another report has him saying to the reporters after the game that he lied about having a sore knee so that Young could get PT, but in actuality he really did have a sore knee.

Which report is actually correct???

I am inclined to believe that Arenas was fined for making a false statement in contradiction to what was actually a true occurrence about his knee and the fact that Flip chose not to play him.

Maybe Mr. Lee can clear this up, for the two reports are out there that contradict what actually occurred and what Gilbert apologized for.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

wake up, jacka55es.

after his 2nd season, gilbert arenas has been nothing but a media wh ore and he was never good enough to be any teams top player. never.

the stupid fans should have been chanting "overrated" to gil, not lebron.

overrated, overpaid, over it.

Posted by: eddie_33 | October 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Hibachiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Posted by: prescrunk | October 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

If this had been anyone else but Gil,no it wouldn't be a big deal but it's HIM again.

If he was doing something nice for his teammate then why can't he just KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT for once in his life???

His constant need for attention is rather childish to say the least.

Posted by: joek443 | October 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

We're gonna need a bigger teapot if this tempest gets anymore out of hand.

Much ado about nothing. Given that the guy's had 3 surgeries in 2 years, my guess is his knee probably was sore. Hell, it's probably sore more often than not. Too sore to play? Probably not in a game that meant something, which this wasn't. The issue isn't that he sat out a meaningless preseason game with some marginal ache. Guys do that all the time. The issue, as usual with Arenas, is that he couldn't keep his yap shut about it for 5 minutes. But anyone who's surprised by this must be new in town.

It's wior

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | October 13, 2010 3:37 PM

Last night Arenas saw the reporters gathered around Wall, Hinrich, McGee, Young et al. and HE LITERALLY COULDN'T HELP HIMSELF. The monster must be fed.

Posted by: gtown85 | October 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Whether or not he faked an injury, the fact remains that Saunders not Arenas is the coach of the basketball team.

It is not up to Arenas to determine if another player 'deserves' more court time.

Let's face it. Arenas will never change. He is always going to be a guy that acts outside of the team context.

Whether it is something serious like undermining a season by carrying weapons into the locker room or something minor like this incident with Nick Young, the fact is the organization has to be on watch for the next Arenas blow-up.

Dan Snyder gave Albert Haynesworth $41M despite the fact that a LOT of NFL GMs knew the guy while talented was a knucklehead that once paid was likely to sit on the money and stop working hard.

Likewise, most NBA teams knew Arenas was an undisciplined player on and off the court that was as likely to harm as help his own team.

Yet Abe Pollin decided to give him $111M.

These were mistakes of commission.

The teams now have to recover from those mistakes.

There's no other way to look at it.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 13, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Yet Abe Pollin decided to give him $111M.

These were mistakes of commission.

The teams now have to recover from those mistakes.

There's no other way to look at it.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Arenas' obvious passion for the game, precludes that the knee was anything but a rouse to get Young some PT, not an excuse for taking a day off.

Undermining the coach's authority is the immediate offense. Gilbert has a history of that kind of behavior, yet even now he still doesn't really have a clue what the problem is, which is the larger problem with Arenas.

To a certain extent, if the Wiz or any team are to benefit from Arenas' superlative bb skill, they will, to a certain extent, have to accommodate him. The guns in the lockeroom far exceeded his baseline nuttiness, this little drama is newsworthy only because of that bizarre episode.

Meanwhile wouldn't it be great if someone finds a way to stuff a sock in it before he's completely consumed by the media-fan vortex.

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm searching for a reason why he would mention it to the media.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | October 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm searching for a reason why he would mention it to the media.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | October 13, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

What's with this "superstar" talk about Arenas? He hasn't played at anywhere near superstar level for years. The only reason he still gets any media attention at all is for shooting his mouth like he did after last night's game. And after the Dallas game. Basically, about once a week.

This season is about shutting up and getting the job done as far as Arenas should be concerned--walking the walk and not talking at all. The fact that it hasn't been isn't escaping the notice of Leonsis and Grunfeld; at some point, they'll just bench him if he keeps pulling these lame stunts.

Posted by: KTV1 | October 13, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Arenas is a buffoon, and people, PLEASE stop defending him, or enabling him, or whatever you want to call it. ENOUGH. This guy is bad news, period. A self-centered team killer. If the guy needs medical help, fine, the Wizards can help him there, but this guy needs attention like a herion addict needs the needle. Sorry to be so blunt, but I think (and I include myself here), is that we need to stop giving Arenas the reaction he wants: He loves this. He feels wanted when people talk about him, like he's important. He feels like he got one on the organization, by faking it, by empowering Nick Young when Flip wouldn't. This guy needs to go, suspend him. WE DONT NEED HIM TO WIN!!

Posted by: Bozeman1 | October 13, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KTV1

For years I felt sorry for Arenas and his almost non-stop inability to stop seeking attention.

After this little stunt (regardless of what the lie was or to whom it was told, there was obviously a lie), I'm beginning to feel my sympathy shifting to Leonsis. Gil is just making it harder and harder to move him (yes, I believe he wants to be moved) and Ted is probably beating his head against a wall somewhere about now.

Posted by: nmik | October 13, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The man is an idiot. With his skill, he could do anything on a basketball court. Nick has a better shooting percentage, but no assists. Gilbert also can committ 12 stupid turnovers. Nick's defense is just as good, but neither is good. Gil should be fined by suspension without pay. I know the union will object

Posted by: Bailey51 | October 13, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

What game is he playing?? The same game every sociopath plays -- I control you so don't even try to control me or I will pull the house down around both of us. This was inevitable -- Arenas has an irresistable urge to prove that he will not be subjected to rules of law, society or the NBA. He will just keep doing this kind of stuff as long he is in any organized unit of life on earth.

Posted by: Natmeister | October 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

You know it is really too bad that Gilbert Arenas gets all the focus of this himself. Not, that he shoudn't.

However, I am telling everyone right now that this is more about the coaching of Flip Saunders.

No one wants to go there, but Iams' a telling you, this is an cursory indictment on the coaching on the team.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The Sports Reporters just had a quote from Flip saying that Gilbert did not start last night based upon his decision that Gilbert did have some soreness with his knee.

Then they play a clip from Arenas today where Gilbert says he actually did lie to Flip so that Young could get some playing time.

Should Coach Flip, once fining Gilbert also reflect on why Gilbert felt the need to lie so Young could get some playing time?

And should Ted step in also slap some heads?

I think so.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

The past is different from today and Ted Leonsis should make sure that everyone understands that from Ernie all the way down.

This little snafu should be his first blow to make sure that everyone understands that.

Though I am a huge Gilbert Fan, Ted needs to let them all know who really is in charge here.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

You know what worries me? Arenas is going to mouth off to the wrong guy at the wrong moment and get himself killed. It happens. There are guys out there who don't care about his childhood problems or his kooky sense of humor or his need for drama. They will pull the trigger in some club or home or out on the street and that will be it. And Gil will not understand why it has happened - it will be too late for him. And it doesn't need to happen.

Posted by: jcaroleclarke | October 13, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

TED, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

You have a player that ruined our season last year.
You have a player who pretty much said he does not want to be a Wizard.
You have a player that lied to the organization and faked an injury so he did not have to play.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

Posted by: jmpalomo | October 13, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE GILBERT AND NICK YOUNG; And the coach hate nick young so Gill was just trying let you guy's know that.

Posted by: maejude | October 15, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

if other people can write what they want say leave my comment's a lone show them.

Posted by: maejude | October 15, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

LIKE I SAID I LOVE GILBERT AND NICK YOUNG.

Posted by: maejude | October 15, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

LIKE I SAID I LOVE GILBERT AND NICK YOUNG.

Posted by: maejude | October 15, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse