Gilbert Arenas says he is not seeking an early exit

After the Wizards concluded practice at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Gilbert Arenas grabbed a seat on a portable water cooler and put an ice pack on his left knee. He then called me over because he wanted to clarify his post-game comments after the Wizards' 97-94 win against Dallas in the preseason opener, lest there be any confusion about what he said or even intended to say.

I didn't ask to go anywhere. (AP Photo)

Arenas created a bit of stir after John Wall's thrilling preseason debut when he said that his new role with the Wizards is to "teach John the ins and outs of the game, and eventually go on and move on." When asked what he meant when he said, "move on," Arenas replied, "This is the NBA. There's few players that stay in the same city, so right now the city is John's. I'm not here to fight anybody. I'm here to play alongside of him. He's Batman, I'm Robin. When I came in, Larry [Hughes] moved aside for me to become a star and I'm moving aside for him to become a star."

To some, Arenas's comments appeared to be a message that he was looking to be moved before his contract expires after the 2013-14 season. Arenas said he isn't looking to go anywhere, or seeking a trade; he is content serving as a mentor to Wall and the other young Wizards as one of the few veterans on the roster. He said he simply meant that he would move on when his deal ends, not before it.

"I've got four years left," Arenas said, "and that's it. That's all I was saying."

At the end of his current contract, Arenas will be 32 and the rest of the Wizards' young players -- such as Wall, JaVale McGee, Andray Blatche and possibly Yi Jianlian, if he re-signs next summer -- will be entering their respective primes. He said it's only natural for teams to move on and bring in younger players, but he enjoys being around this group.

Arenas said was merely stating the obvious: It is Wall's team now. He's a veteran role player around to show him the ropes and help him become a star. "I had my time," Arenas said.

I can concur with what ESPN.com's Marc Stein wrote today that the Wizards don't have any trades in the works, regarding Arenas. He has three years and $60 million left on his deal after this season, which would make him difficult to move anyway -- especially since Arenas has only played 47 games the past three seasons because of injuries and his 50-game suspension.

But he reiterated that he enjoys being around Wall and respects his game. Arenas said he feels a connection with Wall since the No. 1 overall pick is represented by Dan Fegan, Arenas's first agent in the NBA. He is perplexed by the opinions of those who believe that he and Wall won't work together.

"I haven't seen a situation where you have two good guards and it doesn't work out," Arenas said. "When you have good players, it works out."

He noted how he and Wall complement each other, since Arenas is a shooter who can help driving lanes open up for Wall, while Wall is a driver who can create open shots for him. After the win over Dallas, Arenas said he warned Wall about hitting the floor as much as he did, because of the toll it will eventually take on his body.

Wall said on Tuesday that he and Arenas have developed a good report. The two have been spotted regularly cracking jokes with each other.

Arenas said that even though he's nearly nine years older than Wall -- Arenas turns 29 in January -- he still believes that he can beat him in a foot race. Wall has yet to accept the challenge, but I told Arenas I thought the 20-year-old Wall would get him. Then I asked Arenas who had the quickest time in Coach Flip Saunders's conditioning drill. Arenas smiled -- yes, he smiled -- and tapped his finger on his chest.

He added that he wishes that more people focused more on how he and Wall will work, rather than the other way around. He blamed the overall negative tone of the new, 24-hour "social media" for contributing to people expecting situations to fail. He used the overwhelmingly negative perceptions surrounding the newly-formed all-star trio in Miami with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Arenas said he hopes that kind of talk will stop in Washington.

"We need people to root for us," Arenas said. "Don't go against us. Root for us!"

By Michael Lee  | October 6, 2010; 4:11 PM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flip Saunders pleased with Wizards' energy in win over Dallas
Next: Ted Leonsis says name change to Bullets is 'under consideration'

Comments

Gilbert is like an actor ... talented to accept any role and make it his own ... like history, there is always a shift in from one movement to another ... we are seeing a post-silly/recklessness to a renaissance of serious professional ...

watch out ... gilby is going to light it up, in his own serious way ... The wiz will surprise, with a serious run for the 7th and 8th spot of the playoffs ...

Wall is the second coming of Dwayne Wade, and Serious 9 is the second coming of Reggie Miller ... that is a back court to be reckoned with ...

Posted by: BulletsForEva | October 6, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Well I think Gil and JW will be a great combination. But I think JW will be great with any good 2 guard.

We are all rooting for you Gil. We want you to have the best season of your career.

You looked great last night and you complemented JW quite well!

Posted by: kevenjones | October 6, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Wizards Faithful,

You experienced with your own eyes (and ears) what I've been telling you for months--the Wizards are stocked with young talent that will be heard and felt by the NBA sooner rather than later. The Wizards are simply too talented and too hungry to be treated like the redheaded stepchildren of the Southeast division. They will apply their strengths (quickness, length, athleticism, uber talent) against the weaknesses (a cap-busting contract, alpha male uncertainty, lack of depth, Kwame Brown) of their division foes and let the chips fall where they may. I say the chips will fall squarely on the part of the NBA board marked "playoff berth"!

Even the chronically tone-deaf among us had to like the first few bars of the masterpiece written and composed by Ernest Grunfeld and provided for your listening pleasure last night. To the haters: Learn how to make the music come to life in your head based on the notes you see on the music sheet. What a shame it is to recognize brilliance only after the music is played!

In Grunfeld We Trust!!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | October 6, 2010 1:37 PM

Love your optimism, thunk!

Posted by: SlinginSammy | October 6, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"have developed a good report. "
rapport, I'm assuming?

----

I'll definitely critique the team and specific players, mostly on hoops, sometimes on personality, but I'm always rooting for them to win! Just trying to not get what I hope for crossed up with what I actually expect. I do expect them to win more this year, I just don't expect their fortunes to turn around on a dime.....even a deliciously served up Wall-to-JaVale, McWall "-oop" dime.

Posted by: ts35 | October 6, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I liked the way the starting five played - I think it was obvious that Wall made everyone on the floor better; Gil's talent is such that he will be good no matter who is playing but with Wall he will shine as will the rest of the team. The old saying about speed kills really applies to Wall; as long he hits the outside shot, he and the team will be deadly. Blatche's points were definitely in the flow and not forced like the end of last year; reason? John Wall.

Posted by: h20law2000 | October 6, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

To torture a phrase, it doesn't take 'rocket scientist' to figure out what happened after last night's game.

Arenas needed attention after watching Wall snatch our hearts and imagination so he said something that would get him what he needed. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | October 6, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Not that a 100+million multiple all-star needs to hear it from any of us, but I too hope Gil realizes that we're rooting for him. I really think the Washington fans are dying for him to come back strong in DC. Not to move on and start over but to bring back his magic here. Not as Agent Zero, not as super blogger. All of that was fun. But as a guy who obviously, since the day he got here, showed a love for basketball that you rarely see. The dedication to basketball that he (according to the media) has always shown by his midnight practices, playground ball, and jersey throwing means more to Wizards fans than a bad year and a big mistake. Slates clean bro, we start over together. Phoenix isnt the answer. New York isnt the answer. 31 other teams isnt the answer. Making it all right again is the answer.

Posted by: DCinNY | October 6, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

DCinNY - exactly!

Posted by: EYoung77 | October 6, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gil, unrealized expectations turn fans into foes, and positivity into negativity. You are Exhibit A to this rule.
So...rather than telling me to root for you, do something with your game that will compell me to root for you once more.

Just shut up and play, dude.

Posted by: howjensen | October 6, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Lee- you caused this by cherry picking quotes and not in context. Funny that your "correction" article is longer than the first one eh?

Gil- we are all rooting for you. The media on the other hand is desperately looking for whatever conflict they possibly can find.

Posted by: dcperspective | October 6, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

DCinNY: +100.

Gil returning to form will make a difference this season. We NEED him and we want him to do what he can do.

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | October 6, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

i know we havent seen john wall slow down yet but every rookie hits the wall by Feb- March. thats when the wiz will have to lean heavily on Gil. He's still critically important to this teams success

Posted by: ryjufox3 | October 6, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

That sounds more like my man. Now use it to go off next game Gil or atleast against Orlando on opening night

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 6, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz should hire Gilbert the same psychologist that Artest's so fond of. Gilbert's a wonderful, charitable guy, but he's not reacting well to the last few years of events.

Posted by: Dellis2010 | October 6, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

A quick glance around WI would show that Gil is right on about the social media and the negativity that it breeds.

Although, I would not agree with him on the Heat. I think that the opinions coming fast and furious about that team are because the era we live in is one where everyone wants to predict what happens next or be able to claim that they were the "First" to say something that others repeat.

I would just say this... Imagine what Twitter would like if you could toggle "re-tweets" on and off. It would probably shorten the average Twitter feed by a third. People love repeating what someone else stated and people really love the experience of others repeating something that you stated.

I'm off my soap box. It's just an observation.

Posted by: SportzWiz | October 6, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Lee you suck! You were trying to sensationalize this man's quote. Why don't you do your job instead of trying to create something that isn't there?

Posted by: meatkins | October 6, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Class act?

F#ckkk y0u. How's that for classy?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 5, 2010 7:56 PM

Posted by: spades72 | October 6, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

thank you. Gilbert arenas is a nut case, but basketball is basketball. the dude can play. this is not some analytical or scientific challenge. it's human. so Areans just play ball. prove them all wrong.

Posted by: oknow1 | October 6, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

The Post wrote about Gilbert Arenas: "He said he's at a point in his career that whenever he opens his mouth and leaves his words open to interpretation, people will always look for the negative spin. He said it's one of the reasons that he stopped blogging and making himself so accessible to the media."

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | October 6, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"My heart goes out to you. Misery is a terrible thing. Sorry won't be able to keep your company.

Posted by: spades72 | October 6, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse "

My middle finger goes out to you. Sorry I can't be miserable like you too.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I am a big Gilbert supporter and love to see him stay but the dude is getting so much negative feedback it is normal for him to react in the way he is doing. Thom Loverro and Tony Kornheiser, on their radio shows talked about Arenas as if he is public enemy number one. At some point give the man some peace and let him do his job. Enough already.

Posted by: spades72 | October 6, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I never would have thought Gilbert was trying to get out of his contract from what he said. The Post just like to stir up sh er controversy, because it sells newspapers. Leave the guy alone. Lets just talk basketball for a change.

Posted by: newbridge | October 6, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone in the starting lineup played well last night, and so did Yi coming off the bench.

It's mighty "charitable" of Gilby to say he's going to let JWow take over, but given what we saw last night, I'm not surprised.

Gilby is not the same player that he once was. His game now is to take a set shot, come off a screen and shoot, and that's about it. You won't see him driving to the basket much anymore and either drawing the foul or dunking. I didn't see him facilitate much, despite what Mike said, as he ended up with only one assist.

Yi was the surprise of the night. He ate Jason Terry's shot a couple of times, and showed that he can bring it on both ends of the court.

JaTravel is good as long as he doesn't go outside his comfort zone. That means dunking and playing defense. He still has trouble holding his ground. Don't count on him developing an inside game this 3rd year.

AB is probably the team's best inside player, but he has no ability to separate himself from his defender down low with his back to the basket, to get his shot off. He's got quickness, but no hops. Also, he still has toothpick arms.

It's clear to me that this team is only good up to about 7 deep. It'll be ugly if guys get into foul trouble.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Another thing. Judging from his reactions, it is obvious that Gilbert is in tuned about what is being said about him. He called over Michael Lee to clarify things. I am pretty sure he reads the comments on this board.

Posted by: spades72 | October 6, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

My middle finger goes out to you. Sorry I can't be miserable like you too.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 6:14 PM

Crawl back into your hole low life.

Posted by: spades72 | October 6, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Enuf already! Too much analysis and second guessing. This Wiz group has real possibilities, even before Flip gives Kevin and Trevor a taste. Possibly even Morrison. Fun season ahead. Enjoy it.

Posted by: joe2chase | October 6, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe2chase | October 6, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

he looked like a catch and shoot guy yesterday..didnt seem like he wanted to blow by anybody..was it do to the ankle sprain..its that what kept him about for 3 days?

Posted by: MrNoOne | October 6, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

"Crawl back into your hole low life.

Posted by: spades72 | October 6, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse "

You are so miserable, it's pitiful. Why would I want to crawl in a hole and be with your troll family?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

There's almost no way that Les BouleS can trade Gilby if he goes on this season as the Robin to JWow's Batman. Not that another team won't want him, but they won't pay max money for a guy who's not carrying the team.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"I am so sick of pro athletes making comments which they know will be interpreted negatively by fans - people with no axe to grind or public point to make - and then trying to amend their comments later or claim there are context issues. These guys aren't stupid. They make their assertions for their friends, and then try to reshape what they said for public consumption. Pathetic."

Have you NEVER said something that could be interpreted differently and you didn’t realize it at the time?

Do you think pro-athletes are smarter than you? Do they ALWAYS plan two steps ahead? Heck, I don't know about you, but I have to admit, I don't.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 6, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gwest1 | October 6, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

"Gil f the haters, I love JW, but your still the best player on the team, and I'm sure you will prove everyone wrong. Being Robin aint so bad when you look at the Heat,they have Batman, Robin, and the Joker! who cares the Wizards need you to win.

Posted by: gwest1 | October 6, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse "

The best player on the team doesn't defer to his teammates.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, where do I start,Mr.melodiousthunk, I too have called the negative posters to task and agree we are young,talented and will surprise all with a 30-45 win season,likely I agree this will put us in 7-8th spot competition. Now onto some of the insidious naysayers,DCman88,you are a question mark as I am not a regular to the boards, I see fairly analytical thought one minute and juvenile bs the next since I don't have the possible past context of your ridiculously juvenile responses I can only say WTF are you thinking? Onto the idiots Mr.Jensen (I use this loosely re:howjensen) how about you just plain shut up,and okknow where in the hell did you come up with Gil is "a nutcase"? Since his arrival in the NBA,and especially since he arrived in DC, he has been (until injured) the best player on the team without a doubt,money on winner shots etc.etc., then he has had 2 major knee injuries that he has worked his butt off to get back and play. He pushed himself to come back too early the 1st time and the incompetent (at the time) Wizards staff let him and it damn near ended him as a result,this is not to say 80% of the other teams in the NBA would not have made the same decision with the money involved but just the same they would be incompetent too. So who gets the blame and who suffers the most for this decision, Gil does,gets hurt again and rehabs even harder the 2nd time,then foolishly plays the "gun joke" on Jarvis and now after being charged,convicted and completing his penalty for his "crime" after years of service,All-Star play,loyalty-rehab,pain for what seems like forever he "is a nutcase" as you so eloquently put it? Sorry Sir but you may want to investigate the source on this one (YOU), methinks perhaps that you are the "nutcase". Finally to DCinNY, well said, carefully look at all of the message board comments and you will see the difference between a DCinNY and a melodious_thunk, compared to the howjensen's,okknow's et all, then wonder where Gil got his thoughts from. This team will be good, and a lot better than most of you think,that's fine but the nonsense just make you look ignorant,boring and stupid. So if you think they are bad how about you say so in an intelligent way? If you think Gil is done than say he has lost his skills not that he is a "nutcase,I for one am tired of it,it's boring and wretchedly ignorant. Of course this reflects on you so if that's all you got than********* That's my say GO WIZARDS,DCinNY & melodious we will have the last laugh.

Posted by: mfowler1 | October 6, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree GIL IS STILL THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM! Love J Dub but he needs time to grow into that spot. MAN88, you're foolish if you think Gil isn't capable of being the player he was! Shot look sharp and crisp last night, you're another one of those guys that wanna give a good player away for NOTHING! That's crazy like that beef between you and Spades72. In the famous words of A I,"We talkn about a blog. . . not a game but . . . a blog"

Posted by: zack5 | October 6, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert's act is sooooo tired. Through his own irresponsible actions he basically destroyed the team's entire last season. He turned the Wizards into a national laughing stock doing something (bringing guns into the workplace) which most 12 year olds could tell you was wrong. Now, we have to listen to him pout and pretend nobody supports him, and what a martyr he his, teaching Wall, and then he'll just have to leave, somehow implying we'll all miss him. Hey Gilbert. Shut up. Grow up. Suck it up.

Posted by: christophermdavis | October 6, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I thank Michael Lee for getting the words from Gilbert's mouth rather than speculate on what Arenas meant. On another note, as far as the Tony Kornheiser (or however you pronounce/spell his name) you have to remember that there are certain media personel (like Tony) that make a living building up some, and tearing down others. Tony needs to spend more time honing his skills as what ever he calls himself on his program with Wilbon (who is excellent), and stop allowing his "personal feelings" to strangle what professionalism he has, and focus on facts-about NBA players, not bitterness par excellence. I cannot help wonder what his take on "Ben the Rapist R." of the Steelers is. I guarantee you he will be cheering on Ben this Sunday as if he were some "sanctified choir-boy." But, you are who you are. In life it does not pay to be "too predictable" for soon or later closed eyes will open and see him for who he is. Fill in the blanks if you want...

Posted by: esmith4 | October 6, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

My limited math skills say a birth date of Jan. 6 1982 would make Gilbert 28 going on 29.

where in the hell did you come up with Gil is "a nutcase"?
Where in hell have you been the last few years? How 'bout the parachute and the 300 gun collection? Not to mention the prior in Calilfornia and the three he laid out in the locker room with the note to Crit? Alright 'nutcase' perhaps overstates; great baller sure, I wish him well, but Arenas is tilting at windmills and there aren't any windmills in sight.

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 6, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

"Well, the obvious way to get a team to trade for Gilbert would be for the Wiz to take on a big chunk of that contract so the other club got him in effect for less money. That's probably what they're not willing to do.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse "

LMAO! EG is known for receiving money for taking on other teams's castoffs. I don't think he wants to be on the giving end of that.

BTW, for all those enamored by Gilby's play yesterday...as I said, he hit some open J's and hit some J's off screens. Back in the day, he used to break his man down and go in for the foul or the dunk. I don't see him dunking anymore while going down the lane, and I don't see him looking to draw contact. He's become a Craig Hodges with a beard and $20mil/year.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

mfowler1, sounds like you're a basketball fan and not a fan of the khardasian's type bs that travels here.....very refreshing. if arenas gives this team 20-5 and a couple of rebounds....what would be the problem with that? self-righteous folks, please step to the side.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | October 6, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Gil shot 5 for 9 and 2 for 4 tre's in 26 mins. Not bad! Let's not turn the sport page into a gossip rag,

Posted by: bobilly1 | October 6, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

And you figured that all out from one pre-season game. Impressive.

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 6, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

"And you figured that all out from one pre-season game. Impressive.

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 6, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse "

Sorry, that was figured out after the comeback attempt from the ill fated parachute and biking around town and ballin' on the Barry Farm hardcourt debacle.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

"My limited math skills say a birth date of Jan. 6 1982 would make Gilbert 28 going on 29"

LOL you're right of course.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zero, leave the guns at the front desk, shut up, and play ball.

Enough with all the mouth.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | October 6, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCinNY | October 6, 2010 4:46 PM

Just wanted to repost this comment that
DCinNY made earlier. I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: OG_Barno | October 6, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyway we'll all get to see how this turns out. Until then all the discussion is just a way to fill the empty space.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

You mean in the fifteen or so games after the knee operations? He might have been a little tentative, no?

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 6, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 6, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a stickler for grammar and such, but...

Mr. Lee states: "Wall said on Tuesday that he and Arenas have developed a good [report]."

The correct word is rapport. Sigh -- I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

Posted by: bazookajoe1 | October 6, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oddjob1 | October 6, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"You mean the fifteen or so games he played in between the multiple knee surgeries? He might have been a little tentative at that point, no?

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 6, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse "

If you can't figure out that a 30 year old dude ain't going to be the same after 3 knee surgeries, two caused by relapses, then you're just not thinking, or paying attention. It's great to be optimistic, but you're just being foolish.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"...GA will average 20pts a game mtl, but his swagger is what will make the difference for this team and this city. I do worry about the bench. After Yi in the front and NY in the back, there aint much ready for prime time. Also, Ted wants another lottery draft pick next year, so Ernie is already on the prowl. Yi to Lakers or Clippers or Golden State with NY packaged in a deal that should fetch a pick and some scrub multiple one year contracts in return. Its a good thing Flip has assistants who are good instructors. Cause Flip dont do that. I'm sure Ted is already formulating a list of who his new coach and GM will be in 2012.

Posted by: oddjob1 | October 6, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse "

Your statement that Teddy wants another lottery pick next year is so funny. He just may earn one without even making a trade.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Gil...F..k DC_MAN88 and M.WIlbon!

you have fans who care about you in DC. You can remember it at the training camp. Do what you believe to do..man
We, as fans want to see your success with Wiz uni. again!

Posted by: skinsMill | October 6, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"Gil...F..k DC_MAN88 and M.WIlbon!

We, as fans want to see your success with Wiz uni. again!

Posted by: skinsMill | October 6, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse "

F#$k your mom.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 6, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Gil you say you had your time!? Man what happened to you? You are 28, you should be reaching your peak, this is YOUR Time!

Hit open shots? Are you the new Mike Miller? What happened to the assasin, the revenge, the come back? I gotta James Brown song for you "THE BIG PAYBACK" should be your tune!

ATTACKING THE BASKET was what made you special! Man i remember that 60 pt game thinking more of that was to come. Its really a shame we will never see that player again.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 7, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Arenas play with the team this year. I think he'll be good for John Wall and John Wall will be good for him. Same story with a veteran like Hinrich.

What Arenas was saying was pretty much self-evident: Players in the NBA get moved. There are no guarantees. Maybe he was being a little bit melodramatic in his own now-understated Gilbert Arenas way. But there was nothing inherently controversial in his statement.

As a side note: Wilbon's column trying to stir the pot was just a sad statement about the pathetic state of a certain kind of sports journalism these days. If there isn't a story, clowns like Wilbon will make sure to create one, so that he has something to talk about on his TV show. Wilbon needs to go back to Chicago.

Posted by: JPRS | October 7, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

The best thing about Hinrich in yesterday's game was he saw JWow holding the ball too long early on and Hinrich clapped his hands hard to remind him to move the ball.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 7, 2010 1:43 AM | Report abuse

A He's not 30
B It's the context and rationale of your arguments that are lacking.

Arenas may never attack the basket with the frequency he did at 25 but he may not need to with Wall in the backcourt.

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 7, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

DC_MAN88 = boring.

Posted by: mack1 | October 7, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd think it would be only natural that a late 20's guy, that is the last peice left of the team that made the playoffs a series of years, would look at this current young roster and feel things had changed.

If he didn't get the inkling that J Wall was the next big thing in DC after the reception that Ted threw him back in June he'd be rather dense.

Gil stated the obvious, and then went back and clarified his remarks after the they were taken in the context that he wanted an early exit.

After his rather borish behavior ignoring the fans at fanfest he's made a somewhat modest recovery. I'm sure this dance will continue as Gil feels out how this whole "Big Brother" thing works.

Got to remember he's played 8 of his 9 years with Jamison around to deflect the press and be the resident adult in the room.

I find it interesting that Gil moved to nip it in the bud rather then let it simmer like he has sometimes in the past. Maybe he really is growing up and trying to be the adult. Didn't come accross like he tried to say Mike twisted his words, just that it didn't come out the way that he meant it.

There's no elephant in the room that says Gil will be traded, until Gil shows he's healthy, and can score in bunches again, logic says that there aren't going to be any trade descussions,period. Gil's not going any where this year folks, get used to it.

If Gil plays well enough with Wall that other teams want him there is no real logical reason to trade him unless he demands one, and Gil's statements don't support that premise.

With a high salaried player the only way to deal them is to useally make a deal that heavily favors the other team. Memphis's giveaway of Gasol would be such an example. Somebody's still got to explain to me what Memphis got out of that deal besides cash flow relief for a cash strapped owner.

Ted's not strapped for cash, so why would he deal Arenas if he's helping J Wall win games and put paying fans in the seats?"Larry from Clinton" is right, the Wiz need a scorer, and Gil is a scorer, and he needs to rebuild his image if he wants another contract.

They both have reasons to make this work...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I cannot help wonder what his take on "Ben the Rapist R." of the Steelers is. posted by:esmith4 *******************************************************************************************A man,keep the 6-TIME-WORLD-CHAMPION-PITTSBURGH-STEELERS(and their players names)OUT OF YOUR F'ING MOUTH. This is the wizards blog. Cant stand dem F'ing HATERS. And leave Gil alone as well. Let him do his thing and it will all work itself out.** What faggy is on here callin A grown man GILBY? You might as well call him delicious then.

Posted by: Mikereese23 | October 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why more of these quotes were not in the print version??

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | October 7, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for Gilbert and the Wizards!

Posted by: bermudml | October 7, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

JPRS,

I agree with you, shame on Wilbon!

No wonder Gilbert does not want to talk. Now he said that he is ready to step aside, and let Wall lead, he is stirring the pot up?!

He didn't ask for trade or anything. He was just stating the obvious. If the team wants to trade him, he would understand, but he will do his duty, and be a Robin to Wall, what is wrong with that?

He is a distraction? Only because media like Wilbon made it so. They write about him when he doesn't smile, they write about him when he responds to media and say he is ready to move on. If I were Gil, I will ask the media, what do you want me to do?! Can he ask the media to just leave him alone, and stop bugging him? Uh-oh, just that request alone probably will stir up another controversy.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 7, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is not a nut, he's just different. I'm we're all different or else this world would be filled with robots! Another thing, Gil is saying what he thinks people want to hear and that's "He is a Robin to Wall". No, he's not his sidekick, he's his equal with more knowledge of the game. I'm surprise the reporters haven't picked up the real reason why Gil is wearing the #9. He's wearing #9 because when you add that number to Wall's #2 you have the #11.

Posted by: cdouglas2 | October 7, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cdouglas2 | October 7, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"A He's not 30
B It's the context and rationale of your arguments that are lacking.

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 7, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse "

Yeah, you're right. With those 3 time kneees, he's more like a 50 year older.

You are so naive. The more of a threat Gilby is against the opposing team, the better off JWow will be. That's common sense...something you are lacking.

Also, with 80 mil coming to him, he'd better do more than be a set up shooter.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 7, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"I had a bet. Ole' DC couldn't make it through preseason without going off the meds. Looks like I won that one...

They both have reasons to make this work...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | October 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse "

I had a bet GM'er jumped off a bridge after how sorry last season went and after Gilby's gun situation. Too bad it didn't happen.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Gilby is like Portis. He's done got paid, so he's ready to coast. For sure if this was a contract season, you wouldn't hear Gilby saying he's deferring to anyone...that was figured out after the comeback attempt from the ill fated parachute and biking around town and ballin' on the Barry Farm hardcourt debacle...that a 30 year old dude ain't going to be the same after 3 knee surgeries, two caused by relapses, then you're just not thinking

So which is it? Arenas coasting with the big contract, his off-season chicanery or the knee surgeries?

I knew you had a bee in your bonnet over Arenas but clearly you were once been bitten by a rabid squirrel and have progressed into the latter stages of madness.

By the way your bold formatting textually suggests someone yelling all the time.

Well done it really solidifies your lunatic act

Posted by: midlevex_ | October 8, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If Gilbert just goes out and plays, he and Wall are going to work well together. I'm an old-school Bullets fan, and I think this team is dangerous. If I was Gilbert, I would see every night on the court as my safe haven, my time to escape all the negativity. All that stuff last year really riled me, but it's time to get over it. Nobody was hurt. Let's play ball. Let's win some games and bring pride back to a great basketball city. Barring injuries, this team is going to the playoffs and will win a series or two. Mark it down.

Posted by: gaspeny | October 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"Gilbert is 29? Both NBA.com and his Wiki entry have his birthdate listed as Jan. 6, 1982, which would make him 30.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 6, 2010 8:17 PM"

Check your math again, genius...lol

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | October 8, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse