Gilbert Arenas sits, Andray Blatche might scrimmage, and reaction to Al Thornton's accident

Coach Flip Saunders said Gilbert Arenas sat out of the Friday morning practice session with soreness in his leg, but should be able to participate in the team scrimmages later in the evening. The Wizards didn't do much more than skeleton, five-on-none offensive drills and close out practice, with a three-man weave drill. Arenas shot free throws after practice.

"A little soreness, leg soreness," Saunders said. "He didn't do anything today, just stretched out. That was it. He'll go tonight."

Arenas injured his ankle in a collision during team scrimmages on Wednesday, but was back in action the next day. When asked if he had any concerns about Arenas, Saunders said, "No."

The Wizards have been bringing along slowly forward Andray Blatche, with the 6-foot-11 forward only four months removed from breaking a bone in his right foot. He has participated in sprints and other non-contract drills, but Blatche said that he might finally be allowed to scrimmage this evening.

"I'm getting there," Blatche said. "It's been four or five months, so I'm getting there."

He said has yet to take Saunders's conditioning test, but "I'm going to do it."

Saunders said Blatche participated in the full practice on Friday morning. "We'll see tonight. See how he feels. If he feels good, we'll let him get in some competitions and some scrimmages."

Al Thornton was back at practice and hitting jumpers during the three-man weave the day after he was hit by a car walking up a hill on the George Mason campus. Thornton tweeted on Thursday night, "This may sound crazy but I just literally got hit by a car walking ... I thought I was in heaven already for real. Thank God. "

Thornton was okay, but his tweets and lack of immediate response to teammates calls afterward led to some panic. "It's crazy. I didn't know nothing like that was going to happen" John Wall said. "He was on Twitter, like 'I just got hit by a car. I don't believe it.' We had to call him, like, 'You alright?' His phone was off, so we think he was in the hospital or something. It was funny."

Thornton told his teammates that the car was traveling around 15 to 20 miles an hour, but the driver never noticed the 6-foot-8, 225 pound forward crossing the street. "She nipped his leg and he jumped," Wall said. "He had to jump on the car. If he didn't jump on the car, he might be injured."

Now that he's back in action and feeling okay, Thornton has been getting a nice ribbing from his teammates.

By Michael Lee  | October 1, 2010; 2:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Earl Monroe drops by Wizards practice
Next: John Wall, Wizards rookies "don't want no scrubs"

Comments

Unless I'm mistaken, Gil has 2 legs and each leg has numerous parts, each of which may be a source of soreness. So which leg was sore? And is his knee sore? Is it his calf, hamstring, or quad? If "leg" is a euphemism for the knee that has been operated on 3 times, then this is terrible news no matter how much Flip downplays it.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 1, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

We need another front-court body. Anyone in camp will do. MORRISON?

I can't see MARKS, PALMER, or COLLINS making it.

Like LES HUDSON. Not so CARTIER MARTIN.

Interesting comment about NICK YOUNG manning the #3 on occasion. I'd be curious to know in what rotation MR. LEE?

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZardsFan1

Or, it's normal. Even if he's back to full speed, he's had a lot of work done on his knee. It's going to be sore from time to time just because of that. It could have just been sore because of all of the rain. It could be sore from returning to full court practice. It could have nothing to do with the surgery and just be normal tendonitis which basketball players are more prone to.

I had knee surgery nowhere near as serious as Gil's, and my knee still hurts from time to time. But it still works fine.

It's also why I didn't freak out about the reports that he was icing his knees after the pickups games in the Halfway House. Icing his knees is just part of his life from now on. In and of itself it doesn't mean anything.

If he starts missing a lot of consecutive practices, then maybe I'll start to be concerned.

Posted by: ts35 | October 1, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

In a way I'm more concerned with ABs foot. Gil's knee is what it is at this point, no more surgeries, it just needs to hold together. Hopefully he has a good feel for it and obviously the team will be careful.

Whereas Blatche's foot may or may not be fully healed. They gotta be extremely careful (sounds like they are), because he's probably right at the spot where it either heals fully and is good-to-go for years....or he has a setback and could develop a chronic problem. Aside from any problems with the chronic he may already have

Posted by: divi3 | October 1, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Al thornton jumped immediately when the car nipped his leg. I like that reaction it shows he can react as soon as Shaq bumps him to get a rebound.

Posted by: jefferu | October 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Was Jianlian Yi or Josh Howard driving? Sounds like competition for the sf spot.

Posted by: original_mark | October 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone expressed concern about the health of Flip Saunders? Watching him being interviwed today on the website and he didn't look that well. Would someone please tell me what that big knot is behind his left ear? It is gross. It was there last season also but seems to have grown as big as an egg. I hope it is not serious.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | October 1, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Better sign Lester for Gilbert insurance.

Posted by: closg | October 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

When is the Wiz going to hire a big man coach. Until they do they will be in trouble. Flip call Mchale and offer him a job.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | October 1, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"I hope it is not serious."

closg, hilarious. I had tears coming out my eyes after reading your post.
Dude does not look healthy, ever. Add that knot to the mix, and the clothes he wears, and you've got a real mess on your hands.

My guess is that he's had that thing checked out a couple of times.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 1, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

My bad, I meant to credit dandyhuffman.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 1, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, Flip looks a whole better than Don Nelson.

Posted by: mugsybol | October 1, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | October 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

HAHA exactly what I was thinking. He thought it was a woman driving so they must have been wearing a wig. Yi in a wig dressed up as a female Asian driver. Its the perfect cover! You almost expect to be hit by them.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | October 1, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Saunders looks the way he does because he is coaching Arenas and Blatche.

Posted by: firemetalrat | October 1, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I hope we don't hear any Gilby BS this season about "can't play back to back games," or "the team is on a tough 5 game road trip."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 1, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

When did where hear that from "Gilby"? Just for the record?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 3, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse