John Wall: "It was a great effort. We fought hard"

By Michael Lee  | October 31, 2010; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  John Wall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards no longer timid, but remain winless
Next: Explosive performance in close loss

Comments

Grunfeld lucked-out getting Wall, then he failed to surround him with any go-to candidates through the draft or free agency. Having a health Arenas and Howard would help, but does anyone seriously have any "trust" in Grunfeld to build a winner? I don't. Fire Grunfeld.

Posted by: FireGrunfeld | October 31, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Better effort (but it pretty much had to be after Orlando) and better looking numbers, but most of the weaknesses they showed against Orlando were still evident.

They still got outmuscled on the glass (despite having a size advantage on the Hawks). They still gave up too many second shot opportunities. Blatche still settled for too many jumpshots (for which Phil Chenier spent pretty much the entire game roasting him). Their big men still don't know how to set screens. The starting C and PF positions accounted for 9 turnovers, which is ridiculous. The only reason they really had a shot down the stretch was because of an impressive stretch of "hero ball" by John Wall.

This team is a mess, but that's not a surprise. This team is basically a placeholder. In two years this roster could be almost completely turned over, aside from Wall.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 31, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"It was a great effort. We fought hard"

This should be the Wizards new slogan...

With losers like Ernie and Flip in charge we fans are lucky if they can accomplish that for 41 games this tear.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 31, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

year

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 31, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

John Wall! That game was 'Batman' against the Atlanta Hawks, and Batman almost won. He may be the best prospect we've ever had and will be a true terror in the years ahead if he isn't one already. We need to get some good players around him, and fast, before he leaves us for greener pastures and a larger market after his rookie contract expires. That means not selling second round draft picks, not trading top five picks for two mediocre vets who sign elsewhere after a year. It means not drafting do-nothing players with a sweet stroke (Young), or rail-thin foreign centers who like to stroke threes (Pech), or being a dumping ground for players who have disappointed elsewhere. It means assembling players who are tough, have NBA physiques, work-ethic, athleticism and, most importantly for a team with so many childish knuckleheads (Gil, Young, Blatche & possibly Mcghee), maturity. It also means getting a decent team name that doesn't include a logo of Gandalf's dad spinning a ball on a +2 quarter-staff. May Leonsis be granted the wisdom to hire the right personnel man to build around the anointed one.

Posted by: SammyT1 | October 31, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I like JOHN WALL and his attitude. This team has a number of deficiencies as currently constituted, and it's too late this season to do very much about it. Go back into the draft in 2011, get another top three selection for the front-court.

I do not think JOSH HOWARD's knee will hold up, and for that matter, I don't think ARENAS' will either.

I think AL THORNTON is what you got at the #3 and he's on a mission to prove it. I like it.

".........There has to be more to it than that.

No, actually, there really doesn't. They traded those other guys to playoff teams because they had immediate value to those teams and the Wiz were able to get cap flexibility in return. Young has no immediate value to anyone. In fact, his greatest value to the team at this point is his expiring contract.........."

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 31, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I second that Kalo!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 31, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Well people can see who is fool. LOL

Posted by: sagaliba | October 31, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

They surely can, fool. LOL

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 31, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

And I apologize to poster sagaliba. It's HALLOWEEN, and I was feeling feisty, and the blog was dead EARLIER TODAY after we played a pretty good game against a play-off caliber club. Just trying to stir the pot a bit. Looks like I succeeded too. Calling people out is just stupid, and doesn't change anyone's mind anyway, but it will bring negative response. I guess that's better than no response. Man, after that azz-whipping in ORLANDO, I think we were all in shock.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 31, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we come into this season with the understanding that we are in rebuilding mode? If we were trying to build a winner for the now, we surely would have gone in a different direction.

We have some pretty nice pieces on this team, but it's all "p-o-t-e-n-t-i-a-l." That's what rebuilding is. If everyone were already developed, we wouldn't be rebuilding. My only problem with this team as presently constructed, is that the coaching staff gives me the impression that we are trying to win now. Of course, you want to put yourself in the position to win games, but it's more important to develop your players, if that's what this is all about.

To me, that means letting players play through mistakes. Case in point, JaVale should have been put back in at about the six minute mark last night. He needs to learn how to play with foul trouble if he is truly seen as the center of the future for this franchise. He won't learn that on the bench. We also needed him on the floor.

I like Flip, and his track record speaks for itself, but I have a big problem with him calling his players out in the media. That is not the way to instill confidence, and you don't generally see the great coaches doing that. Roast them in practice if you must, but DON'T EVER call them out in the media. No one likes to be embarrassed. It's better to show them (in teacher mode) what kind of effect their play is having on the team, and leave them accountable. Berating someone rarely solves any problems, and usually creates some.

Posted by: bpybay | October 31, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

True, the main thing really I want to see is effort and improvement from our young players.

If McGee and Wall get alot of pt and develop their high skill level and become more well-rounded players this season is a success. Seraphin and NDiaye getting brought along and learning the NBA game to where they can be a contributer next year. Guys like Thornton and Armstrong and Yi and Booker and Blatche improving.

If Arenas and Howard can return to a high level it helps the young guys just playing w/ allstar level talents.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 31, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I like what I have seen from Thornton. I like the frontcourt potential with McGee, Blatche and Thornton w/ Yi off the bench.

If Thornton continues at this level, I'd like keeping him starting at SF and bringing Josh Howard off the bench at SF/SG.

I'm thinking a starting 5 of McGee, Blatche, Thornton, Arenas, Wall with Yi, Howard and Hinrich top subs.

You can bring Howard in and play him at SF with Yi, Blatche or Thornton at PF, or bring him in at SG with Hinrich, Wall or Arenas at PG.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 31, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I really wish we'd add a big man coach to the staff. Someone like Popeye Jones or Terry Davis. Alonzo Mourning.

I like Cassell as future head coach too!

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 31, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Also a return to Washington Bullets is a MUST!!!

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 31, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say I do feel alot better about the team after the ATL game than I was feeling after Orlando. I think ATL was on tail of back to back, but we also were on the road.

I think we are a good team the 2nd half of this season if Arenas and Howard are healthy and our young guys like McGee, Yi and Wall continue to improve. Blatche and Thornton develop to a good and consistant forward tandem.

Once we reach a healthy point and have our top 8 rotation of Wall, Arenas, Thornton, Blatche, McGee, Hinrich, Howard and Yi together and cohesive we should be in good shape.

Also I do really like Booker and the attitude he brings to the court. I like him finding a solid role as defender off the bench and being the 9th guy in our consistant rotation.

Any chances to get some pt for Seraphin and NDiaye this season is high on my priority list too personally.

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 31, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

"How about our starting C needs to do better than 7pts? People keep talking about Hinrich / Johnson, how about 21 and 10 for Horford vs 7 and 8 for McGee? How about our starting PF needs to get to the line at least once? And our collected PFs and Cs only had 3 FT attempts between them? How about guys on the bench need to contribute?
Posted by: ts35"

How can your center be a volume scorer when he has no plays called for him (and I'm not saying there should be)

Javale had a decent stat line based on minutes played (8reb, 7blk and 7pts) and had a positive influence on the game for the Wiz. He didn't do everything perfect (5to and 5fouls) but much better than the Orlando game in which he played just OK. I don't think Flip is looking for a lot of points out Javale.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 31, 2010 11:06 PM |

Posted by: zxhoya | October 31, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Javale McGee stinks. He will play decent on nights he is matched against smaller centers like Al Horford, and then on nights he goes against centers with true NBA size, he will get pushed around down low and get out-rebounded. He can offensive-rebound because he's so thin he can slip in between normal sized front-court players and he can block shots. That's it. So let's find a team that is willing to trade a young defensive big man, WHO WON'T GET PUSHED AROUND, for something we have. I like DeAndre Jordan from the Clippers (career 8 pts, 8 reb., 2 blks a game as a starter) and I'm sure we could steal him from that penny-pinching owner for the right price. Or Flip could play Kevin Seraphin.

Posted by: Janitor_with_a_Jumpshot | November 1, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

jm has been with the team 3 years, but has less than 1 year court time. thanks to some horrendous head coaching. for a team that has not won, to not play the youngins is tragic.
In addition he was raw entering the NBA, as all knew.
I do believe he would be the most sought after Wiz after JW.
I have been advocating YI JM and AB as the starting front line.
It does cause match ups for opponents.
AB is obviously not at full strength, but coaching would sit him or coach him up. Twitch is not the man for a young team.
We need a young dynamic and confident leader. Twitch is old news.
Yes JM has much to learn, as does most of this team.
How about holding position on screens, rather than just cursory moving position. Is this not coaching?
I think the coach that let's him freelance will get the most out of JM. He is never going to be a traditional pivot man.
So utilize his athleticism and live with the growing pains.
This team is not playoff bound. It can be interesting and occasionally exciting.
Again offensively spreading the floor and letting JW create by penetrating is their best offense. The next one on one CB impersonator sits. That is you AB.

Posted by: mricklen | November 1, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

You had to let McGee foul out of that game. Let your players decide the game on the court. You can coach all you want to, but the players have to do it, win it, on the court.

I would much rather have seen McGee trying to accomplish a winning contribution with his last foul than Flip Saunders keeping him on the bench because he thinks the young fella isn't up to it.

It order for the kid to really grow and learn you got to let him earn it and learn it on the floor.

One blogger said of Yi, whether he is being held to the same standard as McGee and Blatche. It is clear he isn't as well as Hinrich has earned golden boy status much like Miller was last year.

For those that think the three guard offense will go away when Howard returns, I don't Flip will stop playing Hinrich for any reason.

Hinrich will somehow continue to get starter minutes. I am betting that Hinrich will average more mpg than Haywood did for his whole career here.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 1, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

There is also this thing of standing up for your players. This new rule on setting screens should have had Flip livid on the the sideline.

He should have been demanding the refs not be so quick to call those fouls and at the same time, he should have been on his players as well.

To hold McGee out sends the unintended message that the 5 fouls were all on him and the new rule and the referee interpretation of it was all his fault.

Truly McGee got called for the fouls, but Flip is a horrible teacher and he teaches from negatives and not from positives.

It would have been a great boon for McGee if he had sent him back into the game with instructions to try to play it out without fouling and if he did commit that last foul, slap him on the butt on the way of the court with words of encouragement.

Flip is anything.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 1, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Flip is anything.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 1, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree, Flip shoulda left McGee in. I think when he picked up his 5th foul he had just come back in the game... at that point just leave him in & let him play it out. Get the most court time possible out of him. Yanking him back out at that moment made no sense to me. Exactly, then when/if he fouls out he comes out & you congrat him for playin hard, not set him down w/ 5 due to mental mistake. Let him play through it & learn.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 1, 2010 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Janitor_with_a_Jumpshot | November 1, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I'd do McGee/Young for Cousins in a heartbeat!

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 1, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bpybay

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

After McGee picked up the first offensive foul for an illegal screen, Coach Flip Saunders told his center, "You can't do that!" But by the time Hilton Armstong picked up an offensive foul late in the second period, Saunders turned his frustration toward the officials. He looked at referee Curtis Blair and asked, "Are we in the WNBA?"

It's not enough to look at the pictures Larry, you also have to read the articles ;-)

I'm not the biggest fan of Flip's coaching and rotations, but you can't blame the man for everything.

Posted by: ts35 | November 1, 2010 3:45 AM | Report abuse

And now for something completely different... I am very curious to see Miami's early season rematch with Boston. I missed the part where Lebron brought Miami back singlehandedly in the third quarter, but during the first half Boston was whipping on them pretty darn good. Miami’s lack of physicality down low could be its Achilles’ Heel.

Like all good Wizards fans I have always detested Lebron. Conversely, I have always been a D-Wade fan. I love his style and aggression. For better or worse Miami is one of the teams I root for nowadays.

With the new anti-whining (“respect the game”) rule Lebron is a little easier to handle than in the past; but D-Wade is the reason I am rooting for them. I don’t think I could ever root for Lebron, unless it was in a series against Kobe “the GOAT imposter.”

Posted by: MeviousMan | November 1, 2010 4:06 AM | Report abuse

"Well, when he was put back in at the 8:37 mark with four fouls, it took him exactly 4 seconds to pick up number 5. Bad coaching? Flip must have forgotten to tell him not to foul within five seconds of hitting the court.
Posted by: ts35"

Well it was coaching to a point:
Javale was inserted back into the game after a Wizards timeout and they had HIM inbound the ball

The Hawks decided to trap on the inbounds as only Kirk H. was back to receive the pass, JWAll was at half court and tried to come back.

Kirk H. could not get open and as Javale ran the base-line, he panicked and tried to bounce a pass to Kirk and it was stolen by Crawford. Javale was forced to foul to prevent a layup.

Javale should have called another timeout and....Flip Freakin' Saunders should not have had his center for whom he's shown little trust, inbounding the ball.

COACHING and poor execution from Javale. It's not a one sided deal here, Flip is complicit also.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 1, 2010 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | November 1, 2010 3:45 AM | Report abuse

I thought you got six fouls per game, not five. After that fifth foul, and despite the fact that he was otherwise playing very well, he never got back in the game. Thus, he actually fouled out with five fouls.

My comments are never about blame, but McGee should have gotten back in the game. I agree with him that if he could have played even an additional three minutes (which of course was not guaranteed the ways things were being called out there), the chances were increased that we could have won the game. Plus, it lets him learn on the fly.

Is he going to learn how to play with fouls sitting on the bench? And it's obvious Flip wasn't saving him for anything, because he never got back in the game (at least I don't think he did).

Posted by: bpybay | November 1, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

"I have a big problem with him calling his players out in the media."

A lot of successful coaches have done just that.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I have a big problem with him calling his players out in the media."

A lot of successful coaches have done just that.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bpybay | November 1, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Who says Flip will be the coach? Also, if Flip is the coach and Javale has "arrived" by then....Flip will be blaming some other 22yr old to the media while treating JM with kid gloves as he does with all vets.

Posted by: divi3 | November 1, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"Let me ask you a question, Samson. When JaVale's contract is up in a couple of years, do you think he is going to want to re-sign with this team under Flip?"

That presumes he'll have done enough by then to make them want to make a long-term commitment to him, and based on what he's done so far that's questionable, at best.

"I can just imagine his mother telling him, "just be patient son. Your contract will be up sooner than you think, and then you can write your own ticket."

And then she'll read him a bedtime story and tuck him in. (And, for the record) he'll be up for an extension at the end of the current season.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 1, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"Let me ask you a question, Samson. When JaVale's contract is up in a couple of years, do you think he is going to want to re-sign with this team under Flip? I can just imagine his mother telling him, "just be patient son. Your contract will be up sooner than you think, and then you can write your own ticket."Posted by: bpybay"

So that's what you're afraid of: Javale will feel unappreciated and sign with another club.

You're not alone. Lot of fans around here worry about that. They claim a young player's ego will be irreparable damaged, but underneath it's just the fear the player will depart and be a star somewhere else.

Well, Cleveland really, really supported LeBron James. And unlike most superstars, he was actually worth the money. But hey, in the end...

Posted by: Samson151 | November 1, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I told EG to get possey's contract with the 11th pick from Hornets instade of going for 3 million and getting KH contract for unknown french man. Possey could play defense and would have been a 3 point cash for a rebuilding team like washington.
shame on you EG.