Gilbert Arenas fined $50,000, sources confirm

No, this really hurts. (Photo by Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Updated: 4:14 p.m.

The Wizards fined Gilbert Arenas $50,000 for faking a knee injury on Tuesday in order to give playing time for Nick Young, two league sources confirmed. The amount of the fine was originally reported by Comcast SportsNet.

Arenas told Coach Flip Saunders that he had some discomfort in his surgically repaired left knee at the morning shootaround and Saunders later started Young, who scored 24 points in a 107-92 win over Atlanta. Afterward, Young spoke about the sacrifice that Arenas made on his behalf and Arenas admitted that he feigned being hurt. Arenas has since apologized.

Arenas on Thursday finally played his first game at Verizon Center since his 50-game suspension for bringing guns in the locker room, but was only able to play three minutes before leaving with a mild right groin strain. His availability for the final two preseason games remains unknown, but the Wizards are expected to practice later this afternoon.

Tracy Hamilton wrote today that it is time for Arenas to get real. Post fan blogger Lee Friedman offers an interesting take on the whole Arenas situation in a post called, "The People's Court: Arenas edition."

By Michael Lee  | October 15, 2010; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On offense, Wizards have a 'sticking' situation
Next: Forty seconds of funk

Comments

Arenas was just bursting to tell everyone that he was faking his knee soreness on Tuesday. Now that he has a (real?) injury, no quotes whatsoever. Once bitten, twice shy.

Posted by: ahwyatt | October 15, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

great story mike keep up the good work. LMAO

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 15, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I am Gilbert Arenas overload. Michael Lee you must have a quota to meet because you keep being redundant.

Posted by: spades72 | October 15, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Tracy Hamilton wrote today that it is time for Arenas to get real.

Haven't people figured out this is the "REAL" Gil?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | October 15, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

$50,000? Its one thing to send a message but this is probably only going to make him hate us even more since he already thinks that we betrayed him and have tried to trade him.

Moving on though, all I want to hear is that his groin is nothing and he will be ready for the opener at full go

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 15, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Good. If he wants to keep lying, he will keep paying

Posted by: Bious | October 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tracy Hamilton. Until you lace up a pair and get your behind out on a basketball court, your opinion means very little to me. I'm guessing you don't ball much.

Posted by: herb6 | October 15, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

anyways looking pass this Did you see Gil's block on Brandon Jennings. He plays defense now!

Posted by: jefferu | October 15, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

all I want to hear is that his groin is nothing..."Posted by: dlts2041"

No guy is going to admit his groin is nothing.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that block on Jennings. I saw some good things on the court from Gil, but they don't want to talk about that. You know, his sharing the ball, that speaks loudly too. However, I don't like that he passed the ball behind him to Wall on the break. Gil still needs to attack.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 15, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

In Gil's mind, the thing he did wrong was tell the media, when what he did was disrespectful to the coach, the team and himself. He does not get it.

I think it is appropriate he got fined by the team. This is what should have happened earlier in his career, when he disrespected Eddie Jordan and the coaching on several occasions, but the GM apparently did not have his head screwed on straight either and was playing his own games.

As if we did not know it already, Gil is no leader and it is right he was not named a captain on the team this year.

Posted by: cannontl | October 15, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

these fools sitting around saying "hey you know what haynesworth isn't gone yet the skins are winning, why dont we try to run gilbert out of town"-
wilbon/barkley(the prostitute seeker)
tony
lee
"hey tracy its your turn"
FAILURE

Posted by: m1richone | October 15, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

wilbon/barkley(the prostitute seeker)
tony
lee
"hey tracy its your turn"
FAILURE

Posted by: m1richone | October 15, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | October 15, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

But on another level can't anything stay in the locker room anymore. I mean Gil threw himself on the coals by saying outright that he lied to Flip, but Flip coulda said "We worked out before the game and Gil was a lil sore, so we held him out." That would allow him to deal with the issue behind closed doors, while avoiding the distraction. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, it just can't be IMHO. Flip and Ernie with this rallying cry of "Gil compromised the integrity of the game" only stoke the fires of the "Gil Must Go" crowd.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 15, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of him already. He is a constant joke. SOMEONE should want him...he's a great ball player but he's a nuisance and needs to be gone.

Posted by: daveink44 | October 15, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

$50k is a heavy hit to a man's pocket, heavy enough to 'strain' his groin.

Posted by: divi3 | October 15, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stranger_station | October 15, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stranger_station | October 15, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Gil is the same problem it always has been and
That is he doesn't think he has done anything wrong. Im telling you Gil needs psychiatric care. There is a disconnect in his brain and im not trying to be funny. This is really sad.

I want to support Gil so badly but he makes it so hard.

Again it comes down to Gil has to go asap...

Posted by: kevenjones | October 15, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@lilhollywood10-Remember that Saunders didn't have a chance to go behind closed doors because Arenas brainlessly went to the media first.

I don't think Arenas should be made to leave the team, but he simply must develop more intellectual sophistication when dealing with the media. Just like last year with the guns/locker room contretemp, Arenas opened HIS mouth unprompted.

It's as though Arenas is Chad Ochocinco with the switch stuck on self-destruct. All he had to do was not mention this and....voila! no issue.

Another thing, Arenas, who hasn't played and therefore EARNED his money in over three years, actually needs the court-time whether or not he thinks he does. Arenas is more rusty than anyone else on the team.It's really arrogant of him to think otherwise.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 15, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 15, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 15, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I have tried and tried and tried again to remain positive about this guy. There is no defending him anymore. Time to see him for what he truly is. A egotistical maniac that cant stand that he is not the focus of the team any more. So now he's trying to get all the attention any way he can. Its just pathetic to watch. Embarrassing really. It really looks like he's trying to force his way out of here. It saddens me to watch him anymore. I really hoped he had learned something from last year. It's obvious now he didn't. He doesn't even realize that all these stupid little things he's doing now are making it even harder to send him somewhere else. No one wants to put up with his antics. Putting up with his crap just because he may score 25 a night just isn't worth it. He'll still be doing more harm to a young team trying to grow up than good. I hope some day soon a light bulb come on and he'll start to get it. Odds are though as evidenced by his actions, that light bulb is burned out.

Posted by: jfwil | October 15, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Gil is the same problem it always has been and

by kevenjones
~~~
I know you're not trying to be funny. IMHO there IS something amiss with his logic/reasoning. On the one hand I want to cover for Arenas by saying he's just not sophisticated enough and is foolishly clueless.

On the other hand, there appears to be some sort of cognitive dissonance with Arenas-somehow he doesn't get how vacuous and empty-headed his public comments are.

I'd compare him to Ochocinco, but Ocho is 'wink-wink' clever enough to know what he's doing when he makes his bombastic statements, Arenas is not.

I mean really, his big mouth in revealing the guns in the locker room incident & subsequent goofy-ass responses cost him about 19 MILLION dollars, so to come back and open his mouth while inserting his foot and pay 50,000 more should be enough to chasten him, but I think we're just at the beginning with him and foolish comments this year. Gilbert Arenas is a himbo-all he needs is blonde hair.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 15, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Dude is scheduled to make almost $18 mill this season. Do you really think he's losing sleep over 50K?

Please. A $50 K fine is tip to a big money pro athlete. Dez Bryant paid more than that for dinner.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@lil'
~~~
Hey, I understand where you going with your point, but Arenas apparently was really convincing to Saunders and with his history with that knee, Saunders took him seriously.
Again, I actually don't think Arenas is clever enough to be sinister, he obviously thought he was doing a teammate a solid, but Arenas cannot be so over-honest with the media, that's the only part of this that blows me-his inability to discern exactly what to reveal to the media. It's cost him big-time. I'm not like others, who, every time an athlete in D.C. makes a mistake, go "get rid of him". There's a 1,000% chance that Gilbert Arenas is going to be this same guy on every team he's on.

It's just that, for the rest of us, if we put our hands to a fire and it burns we get the point. Arenas seems impervious to getting the point that he's his own worst enemy-no one else.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 15, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"He easily could have said, " I dunno if Gil was just pulling your leg or whatever, but he shot around before the game and i could tell he was not himself. We sat him for precautionary reasons." Of course this story isn't true, but neither was the one about NY EARNING the start. Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 15, 2010 5:08 PM

Why would he say that? Everyone and their mother would know it was a lie because Arenas had already spilled the beans. Moreover, why should he have to lie to cover Arenas' butt? Arenas should have kept his yap shut.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 15, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"Why does Gil HAVE to respect Flip Saunders? What if Gil doesn't respect a grown man named Phillip who calls himself Flip. What if Gil really doesn't respect how Flip has handled rotations and playing time? Gil's not the coach so he can't make those types of decisions.........but it looks like he did."

How 'bout you can't have a winning basketball team without some respect for the coach? I'm not talking about obeisance. Maybe just the little stuff, like telling him you're faking an injury, instead of the media.

I think people have been enabling Gil for a long time. He's probably just used to it. Big shock last year when he finally did something that brought it to a halt.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm sure none of you guys ever bet on NBA games, but the idea that something similar could happen in an NBA game that they have money down on makes the big bettors nervous. Unless they know about it ahead of time, of course. Then it's hunky-dory.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"Let's be honest, his fine is more than I make in a year. No joke. Now, if I could only get 50,000 people to pay me a $1 to tell them about poverty in the developing world, then maybe we would be on to a new funding mechanism...love basketball, but the $$ is outrageous!Posted by: stranger_station'

Yeah, FWIW, you're a better role model for our kids that Gil will ever be.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, FWIW, you're a better role model for our kids that Gil will ever be.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

to be my son's role model. As the father of a soon to be graduate of Howard University, I am my son's role model like so may other fathers, family members are for their kids.

Basketball players if they choose to can give back, provide scholarships, give camps and clinics and fund community events. It wuld be nice if the Wizards would take the fine money and donate it to a scholarship fund and really impact some kids lives.

Posted by: NewManagement | October 15, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

~~
Insightful point. Now that you mention it, the Mob now knows that at least this guy might help throw a game, if only by not showing up.

Arenas is foolish, I'll bet it didn't even occur to him that there will be raised eyebrows every time he claims he's injured from now on.
I always thought Arenas was full of it and milking the knee injury the last couple of years, I may be right. Remember all the times in the past where Arenas would claim he was ready to play, but oops now he's not.
Or that he should have rehabbed harder, but wasn't pushed by the staff.
Or that he should not have practiced but the staff DIDN'T stop him.
Or that he was ready to play, but now he has to shut it down.
Or that the team didn't tell him to get a second opinion...no wait, they DID tell him to get a second opinion...no,wait...
Or that the team should have held him out...no wait, they shouldn't have...no wait, they should have...& on &on...

I've made my point.
I want to root for Arenas, but this joker makes it hard man.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 15, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

"Basketball players, athletes in general are rarely role models because what they do is not in the realm of reality for 99.9 % of kids. Fathers, graddfathers, fammily memebers, etc. are role models first and foremost. I don't need Gil, Lebron, Charles Barkley or anyone else. posted by NewManagement"

I think you're wrong. Athletes are role models for hundreds of thousands of kids. Some of them just aren't any good at it.

Just as some fathers aren't.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

A Wiz fan who's screen name has John Wall in it and hates Gil wrote this to 2 other Gil fans on another site:

I'm sure many of you know I haven't been the biggest Gil supporter here since the injuries and suspension but I've got a quick story that changed all of this overnight.

Last night, I was at the Wiz Meet The Players "party" at the Six Flags in Bowie MD. It was anything but a party but I got to meet John Wall, Andray, Josh Howard and Gilbert. By the way, John Wall is not as friendly as he looks on TV folks. Don't be fooled, he is not that "humble" guy that you've read about. He was by far one arrogant piece to about 400 fans who waited in line to meet him...including Kids!!! I'll right about that separately because I want to keep this post positive...I had a pretty long funny conversation with Dre but the one that struck me the most was Gilbert. While in line, I watched the man and got to know him in a matter of minutes. Dude is down to earth big time. He was joking with each fan and he took the time in the cold to have conversations and answer questions. He kept it real. When it was finally my turn to get up, I asked him about making the playoffs and mentioned to him how John was not saying a single word to any of the fans and how I appreciated the fact he was smiling. His response was "oh it's cool there's no reason for me not to smile. I'm here for ya'll. I'm not sure why John aint smiling". The he cracks a joke "but I'll talk to him I think it got somethin to do about Kentucky Midnight Madness though but he wasnt allowed to go".

To end this, I just want to say now I know why Brock and Cube defend this man even in the toughest times. The guy is a real person man. He wouldn't care if you were the janitor, he would have a real conversation with you. You can tell he is definitely a good man. No doubt about that. And just for this experience, I want him to stay in DC for as long as he balls in the league.

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 16, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Well Im not going to kill him just yet. Im a huge Gil fan but it doesnt have to be a competition. Gil couldve been right about the Kentucky thing but still John should always show the fans love. Some people have to do media stuff but they are really shy around people they dont know. Some others feel uncomfortable signing things because of there writing skills. I think he probably just was having a bad day though and maybe mad at the Front Office so he was like "Im not going to be open for this" but you cant let other things turn you away from the fans.

He has to understand that no matter how bad it is, he has to put on a good face for the fans because it may be there 1 & only time to meet him and you never have a 2nd chance for a 1st impression. At the same time, we as fans have to understand that these guys are humans and will have some bad days. He's 19 & still learning. I wouldnt label him fake or anything just yet but it better not happened too often

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 16, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

here is another response I got from that site
-------------------------

Jwall, its funny cuz I thought about posting something like this. I was at the meet last night too. Got some pics with the cheerleaders by the entrance. Made it to the John Wall meet a little late but got to see him too. My impressions of him is identical to what you said. He was pretty rude and seemed to look down upon his fans. Point blank, the young fellow needs some coaching on social/personal interactions. He was definitely cranky and cocky. And I too got to meet Dray and Gil but did not get to see Josh Howard. Gil was definitely friendly. It changed my perceptions of him too...so Ill be rooting for the guy again. Him and Wall were like night n Day, apple n orange last night. It made me appreciate Gil the player n Gil the person altogether. As for Dray, Dray promised me the playoffs so Im holding him to that lol. Overall, it was a night to remember. Wishin n hopin John Wall doesnt become permanently arrogant. And godspeed to Gil!!

Posted by: dlts2041 | October 16, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse