Ted Leonsis says name change to Bullets is 'under consideration'

New Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has gone a long way toward engaging with fans of his team since taking over the franchise since June. He has taken suggestions from fans through his email address, TheWashWiz@aol.com, responded to the ones he deems reasonable, and made every effort he can to keep the fans he has, regain any that the franchise has lost and acquiring new ones along the way.

The efforts are already noticeable at Verizon Center and through some other changes for the Wizards, who recently established an alumni association for former Bullets and Wizards players and held training camp in Northern Virginia to be closer to the local fan base. But Leonsis spelled out everything that he has done or plans to do now that he is control, in full detail on his personal blog, Ted's Take.

In a blog post titled, "The Wisdom of Our Crowds - 101 To Do List Final," Leonsis puts out his "List of 101 Signs of Visible Change," which includes fans suggestions and what he has done. The list includes such things as "2. Reconnect with Gilbert Arenas" and "59. Install beverage shelf in the men's restrooms." But two of the most startling developments in the blog, which should generate considerable excitement among fans were Nos. 28 and 31. What do those say?

28. Change Wizards' colors back to red, white and blue, which Leonsis said is "In-development."

31. Change Wizards' team name to Bullets, which Leonsis said is "Under consideration."

You should check out the entire list, but returning to red, white and blue and possibly the Bullets is enough to make some people woozy around here.

By Michael Lee  | October 6, 2010; 11:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas says he is not seeking an early exit
Next: Josh Howard making progress with knee recovery

Comments

Please go back to Bullets !!! YES!!!

Posted by: Darnell1 | October 7, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Wish this guy owned DC United... sigh.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 7, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Personally I don't think they should go back to "Bullets" -- too much futility and unwatchable mediocrity attached.

That said, I hate the name now and I especially despise the godawful logo now and the less about their puke teal jerseys, the better.

While I would prefer another name, if it's "The Bullets" or nothing, then bring back Lez Bullez!

Posted by: Liebercreep | October 7, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

THE BULLETS! please please please bring them back... you could connect the name graphically to like " a bullet train" instead of a piece of ammunition. and it would still placate the BULLETS fans of DC. mr. leonsis please bring back my Bullets.

Posted by: destewar | October 7, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I thought he said out of respect to Polin he would not change back to bullets, or am I mistaken?

Posted by: cnewso01 | October 7, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I never stopped calling them the Bullets because the name Wizards is just plain stupid. What does the name Wizards have to do with Washington.

That said, I'd rather it be Bullets than Wizards. Then again, the Bullets wasn't a very good name either. We should be able to come up with something better for such an historic city.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | October 7, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Clearly the "Washington Gridlock" most closely identifies with the area and connects with both local traffic and the national political climate!

thankuverumuch.

Posted by: mikey999 | October 7, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Please change it back,please. As a child watching and following the Bullets,sitting at the playoff games at Cap Centre with my Dad,delivering the Washington Post as a 12 year old and getting up at 5AM (or earlier) to read the NBA results of the Wizards in the 70's before anyone else(or so I thought)the Bullets have and always will be their name. To this day I still refer to them as the Bullets even when concientsly trying not too,to the point were I will start calling them the Wizards but in the middle or end somehow revert back to calling them the Bullets. The classic Championship series with the Celtics,me and my Dad yelling our hearts out,another game with my Uncles in the middle of what seemed like ALL BOSTON fans at Cap Centre in our section as KP, Wes,Elvin and the rest whipped their rears in game 6,Bullet's fever can happen to us everyday again just like it did then. The name change was admirable for its thought,but really poorly and politically driven. At the time DC was none as the Wild wild WEst,Capitol of Murder,etcetc,then it wasn't correctly done as now,look we had a new drug CRACK,the money was crazy and the war was on,it was nuts. Those times are long done,now the Tea Party is more likely to shoot us. Do it Ted do it please.

Posted by: mfowler1 | October 7, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

In keeping with mikey999's idea, I'd throw out:

The Fillibusters

or

The Obstructionists

(Great idea for a defensively minded team too).

Bottom line: I don't think anyone is too attached to the Wizards name. More are attached to the Bullets name, but frankly with the Bullets history (more bad seasons than good), I think that name is probably negotiable too. I'd say open the name contest up again and start with a broader field than the five pretty uninspired names that were one the table the when the Wizards were on the table.

It would be good to make the name relevant to the city in some way too.

Posted by: JPRS | October 7, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

When Abe changed the name with a faux "vote" (Sea Dogs? Really?) in order to sell more jerseys, he claimed it was to be politically correct. My suggested Washington-related name was the "Nukes" (short, easy to spell, scares opponents and relates to the city) and a friend suggested the "Drive-Bys." My friend also noted that, to most of America, the offensive word in "Washington Bullets" was the first one. Let's go back to the Bullets.

Posted by: dolph924 | October 7, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

The Bullets name is really a Baltimore name. It is tied to the shot tower and the historic Baltimore Armory. The name was kept as the Bullets creeped further from Baltimore and closer to DC. The Wizards name is just plain bad. It sounds like a name put together by a marketing committee. What about the Washington Generals? That's a basketball team name with a long history. Or the D.C. Poets (a tribute to Dunbar) Or the D.C. Dukes (Ellington). Or D.C. Transit. Or the Washington Watergates? Or any one of many names in tribute to long gone DC landmarks

Posted by: dcraven925 | October 7, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt if he will change it back to Les BouleS. I think he will change it from the Wizards to something else though.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 7, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Count my vote. BULLETS. Or the Washington Justice...a distant second choice.

Posted by: WestCoastBullet | October 7, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Pundits.

Posted by: mattintx | October 7, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

no traditional fan has ever called them anything other than Bullets.

please Ted, if you change the name back, we all promise to never use bullets in an anti-social manner ever again!!!

Posted by: buster_c | October 7, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no...that was the Baltimore name! Plus, there is to much notariety attached to that name Bullets, because of past and recent events.

The hottest name that I have heard mentioned on here is the WASHINGTON REGULATORS!!! That name is strong and there is even a cool song out with that name already that we can play when they take the court! That's about DC, and that's a name to show we mean business on the court!! Go with that name Ted!!

Posted by: dark_some | October 7, 2010 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Without doubt, he is the best owner in the DC/Baltimore area....maybe even the best owner in sports. He just gets it...

Posted by: SweetLax22 | October 7, 2010 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Prevaricators

Posted by: gareacy | October 7, 2010 4:16 AM | Report abuse

For those of us over 40, Bullets is NOT a name connected with failure. They were once one of the elite franchises in the league, going to the finals four times in the 70s, once as the Baltimore Bullets and three times as the Washington Bullets. Please Ted, change it back. History goes further back that 2009, the 1990s or even 1980.

Posted by: truke | October 7, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

What does it matter. It's the names on the backs that create winners, not the name on the front.

Posted by: jeadpt | October 7, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Bullets fever, it happens to me every year.

Posted by: richmondreader | October 7, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

They have always been and will always be the Bullets in my mind. This would be good and welcome change Ted.

Posted by: dcperspective | October 7, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

I was a Bullets season ticket holder (one of the very few) from 1964 until I moved out of state in 1980. I have photos that I personally took of Wes Unseld battling Willis Reed under the basket and of Gus Honeycomb Johnson battling Dave DeBusschere in the '71 playoffs. They are wearing Bullets uniforms. They will always be the Bullets to me. Bring the name back!!

Posted by: rls818 | October 7, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards were always the Bullets. A name change makes no difference. They will always be the Bullets...

Posted by: demtse | October 7, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

rls818, I actually go back to the Bell, Don Ohl, Bailey Howell, the Pearl, Wes, Gus, Mad Dog Carter and the rest. Nice to know there's at least someone else out there.

Posted by: truke | October 7, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Any guy that advocates colder beer, fresher popcorn and a shelf in the mens room to put your beer - totally gets the 'little things'. Ted is a class act, if he only owned the Skins - our sports teams would ALL benefit. Go Ted! YES bullets!

Posted by: gs12 | October 7, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Its not easy trying to come up with the right name. Bullet will always be offensive, especially to the fan that may have lost a family member or friend to one. And I think Ted is sensetive to that, which makes his job a little bit more difficult. What about the Washington "TRAIN"? (DC TRAIN). A strong name. Its hard to stop a train like its hard to stop what goes on in DC. Just think of how it would sound to oppenents. The TRAIN is coming to town!

Posted by: desutton1 | October 7, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Because of what happened last year we "Should" go back to be the wizards.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | October 7, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey, if a hockey team can be named the Predators, we can certainly have back the Bullets. Tens of thousands of people are killed by cars each year, but no one is offended by the Pistons (an intentional stretch...).

Posted by: truke | October 7, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I may even come to a game if this name change is made. I still am a fan of the great Earl the Peal.

But maybe not. Pro basketball has become strange. The game does not much resemble the sport I played for many years.

Posted by: johng1 | October 7, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I've always found the name "Wizards" to be amusing. "Bullets" was said to be inappropriate due to connotations of violence. I'm surprised blacks haven't picked up on "Wizards" having racial overtones (think David Duke) and objected to it.

Posted by: 1995hoo | October 7, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Maybe "Sea Dogs" is back in the running?

Posted by: tander | October 7, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

The team abandoned the "Bullets" moniker in a spasm of political correctness. As long as a name has connotations and oblique but seemingly politically unavoidable meanings, here's one I see as favoring restoration of the Bullets: How about a celebration of long delayed recognition of Second Amendment rights in DC, according local citizens a fundamental liberty about which no one ought to be self-conscious or apologetic? Or if you don't like that one, how about celebrating the bullets used by our military in the past decade to preserve our national security and safety? Surely, bullets are only associated with thugs and mayhem. They are also, in many ways, part of the antidote to the threats we face as a society.

Posted by: rboltuck | October 7, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

No to political correctness. Yes to the name Bullets.

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | October 7, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

In previous post, "are only associated" should be "are not only associated"

Posted by: rboltuck | October 7, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Whether or not they go all the way, to me Bullets fever is here to stay.

Posted by: richmondreader | October 7, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

^21^

I hear the song " BULLET FEVER, CATCH IT. IT'S THE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I will buy season tickets if the name changes back to Bullets..

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | October 7, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the name should change back to the Bullets. There isn't any reason not to really.

In addition Leonsis should request that the League also add the original Baltimore Bullets to it's legacy.

This team was named the Bullets in honor of that original Team. The original Baltimore Bullet team is the only professional basketball championship not attributed to a current team.

The Washington Bullets/Baltimore Bullets should own that championship. I think the Lakers are credited with several championships when the team was in Mineapolis.

Yea, I know, technically, this team was originally the meat Packers from Chicago, but technically as well when Abe bought the team and moved it too Baltimore and took on name of the original Baltimore Bullets the championship should have come with the name.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 7, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Of course they should change the name back to the Bullets. Not only that, but he should also commission Nils Lofgren to update "Bullets Fever!"

Posted by: kemp13 | October 7, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ALLOST | October 7, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Political correctness is like a back handed slap. It can miss it mark and slap the unintended not in frontal view.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 7, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

There were racial concerns expressed about the name at the time and afterwards but the music was too loud at the time coming from the Bullets organization, Abe Pollin, Wes Unseld, poor Chris Webber, and last but not least Polictical Correctness.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 7, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

My sense is that The majority of fans in the DC Area want the name to be Bullets. For me, it was always, you shoot a bullet, you shoot a basketball. It's actually a name that could apply to any NBA team.

I loved Mr. Pollin for all of his contributions to the city and surrounding area. For whatever his motivations to change the name in '97. he certainly had no problem withe the number of times the Wizards wore their throwback Bullets jerseys. How many people own Michael Jordan Bullets # 23? A return to the Bullets name can be done without tarnishing Mr. Pollin's legacy.

Posted by: NAT1971 | October 7, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Go you mighty Sea Dogs!

Posted by: truke | October 7, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Wizards Faithful,

You experienced with your own eyes (and ears) what I've been telling you for months--the Wizards are stocked with young talent that will be heard and felt by the NBA sooner rather than later. The Wizards are simply too talented and too hungry to be treated like the redheaded stepchildren of the Southeast division. They will apply their strengths (quickness, length, athleticism, uber talent) against the weaknesses (a cap-busting contract, alpha male uncertainty, lack of depth, Kwame Brown) of their division foes and let the chips fall where they may. I say the chips will fall squarely on the part of the NBA board marked "playoff berth"!

Even the chronically tone-deaf among us had to like the first few bars of the masterpiece written and composed by Ernest Grunfeld and provided for your listening pleasure last night. To the haters: Learn how to make the music come to life in your head based on the notes you see on the music sheet. What a shame it is to recognize brilliance only after the music is played!

In Grunfeld We Trust!!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | October 6, 2010 1:37 PM

Been off the blog for awhile but I see you're still swinging for the fences.

You'll have to forgive us because most of us don't know how to read music but we do know our basketball. The Wizards will be lucky to win 20 games. And if injuries hit, we're talking an epically bad team (10-15 wins) and your boy Ernest will be thrown out on his azz. I like like that he got rid of the "Subpar 3" though.

On the name change: Leave Bullets in the history books, ditch Wizards and come up with something new.

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | October 7, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

absolutely change it back

Posted by: slim4 | October 7, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Should the Wiz change their name back? Uh, yeah.

Posted by: KRIKET | October 7, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I grew up on the Bullets when they were in Baltimore. I loved the champion Bullets in Landover. PLEASE restore that lineage and change the name back to what it should be!!!!

Posted by: shanks1 | October 7, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Of course the name should be changed back to the Bullets. The fact that it was changed in the first place is a laughable notion. Bullets don't kill people, guns do! In all seriousness we can't be blaming violence on the name of a basketball team. The Bullets have a long and meaningful history as a franchise in this area. Their uniforms were the coolest in the NBA for the longest time. Bring the name back for we the fans that keep the team in business.

Posted by: sjp879 | October 7, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Make the change Ted!

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 7, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Bullet fever - happened to me every year. Wizard wooziness - not so much.

Posted by: therev1 | October 7, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Its a matter of imagery and perception:

Bullets = speedy
Wizards = D&D nerd in mom's basement

Posted by: GP04 | October 7, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Since Ted L has brought back the men responsible for bringing the DC area a basketball championship in 1978, why not bring back the name that brought the NBA championship with it?

Posted by: NatsSince1967 | October 7, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"I love the thought of going back to the Bullets but the one problem is the Mystics. Wizards and Mystic's kinda go together."

Man....I'd NEVER made that connection until I saw your post. Seriously. Do I ever feel stupid now!

Posted by: 1995hoo | October 7, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

How about a team name that brings attention to DC's voting rights? Here's a vote for the Washington Shadow Senators.

Posted by: Kuklie07 | October 7, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Also restore Wes Unseld to the starting lineup. With his throwing capabilities he could probably perfect an alley oop pass from the opposite side of the court and never need to move from that side either.

Posted by: johng1 | October 7, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

-------

No problem, call the women "the cannonballs."

Posted by: johng1 | October 7, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Veto.

Posted by: myhonestopinion | October 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm sticking with Washington RedTapes!

Posted by: gimmedat | October 7, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

If Leonis is half the business man we all think he is, changing back to the Bullets is a no brainer. The Wizeards name and moniker was the biggest mistake Polin ever made.

Posted by: ScottChallenger | October 7, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

With Gilbert Arenas' penchant for guns, maybe "Mo' Bullets" is totally appropriate.

Posted by: medic2010 | October 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: medic2010 | October 7, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Please go back to Bullets. The name Wizards always made me think of the Klan.

Posted by: pyoung66 | October 7, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Washington Beaura-Cats!

Posted by: monkeyconor | October 7, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

#1 Leonsis had to pay a lot to buy team. Who cares what Pollin wanted.

#2 Bullets sound so much cooler than Wizards

#3 The stop the violence campaign, didn't work when they changed the name to Wizards. So we all liked Bullets let's go!

Posted by: khornbeak | October 7, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Do it!!!

Posted by: lavar609 | October 7, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Wizards is a lousy name but Bullets belongs to Baltimore, has terrible connotations both for the city and the team, and (unless you go back a really long time), is not associated with much great basketball.

Change it to something else. Senators? Baseball and too much losing.

Potomacs? Calling them the "Pots" in headlines is unappealing.

IDK. But let's not go back to Bullets.

Posted by: Meridian1 | October 7, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't get this whole name-change mania among the fans. (A) What difference does it make? (B) The last time the name Bullets signified anything other than futile mediocrity was the late 70s. Time marches on. Join the procession.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Ted, you should just have an official vote to see if we should change it back to the Bullets or keep it as the Wizards.

Posted by: bdbyptr | October 7, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Anybody have any info on where to watch tonight's game against the Cavs since neither CSN or NBATV is showing the game? Online?

Posted by: gimmedat | October 7, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Bad seasons as Bullets? Hey, those are the only positive seasons this franchise has had folks...........

This team as the Wizards has done nothing but go from the Michael Jordan fiasco to the Gilbert Arenas fiasco.

Wizards is not identified as a name with anything positive in the city.

Meanwhile, the Bullets went to the NBA Finals 3 times in 5 years (1975, 1978, 1979) and placed players on the all-time 50 greatest list.

That seems like a worthy enough tradition to continue.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 7, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE.PLEASE.PLEASE

Change the name back to the BULLETS!!

Thank you in advance..

Posted by: kevenjones | October 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE.PLEASE.PLEASE

Change the name back to the BULLETS!!

Thank you in advance..

Posted by: kevenjones | October 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Personally I don't think they should stay the "Wizards" -- too much futility and unwatchable mediocrity attached."

Fixed it for you.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 7, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks DadRyan, I was just thinking the same thing.

Posted by: Matte | October 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't get this whole name-change mania among the fans.Posted by: kalo_rama

It's red meat to the Boomers.

Posted by: djnnnou | October 7, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I mean being real...I'm all for a name change...but anyone born in the 80's...such as myself...the Wizards DEFINITELY had more success than the Bullets.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 7, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Leonsis,
I've been a fan of the Bullets since the early 90's. I still remember the times when the Bullets struggled mightily with likes of Pervis Ellison, Michael Adams, Rex Chapman, Calbert Cheaney, Tom Gugliotta and so on. When it's something that you've grown up with, it is very hard to let go. Even though we weren't winning at the time, you grow fond of it nonetheless. There is a reason why more than 80% of people who answered the poll want the name changed to Bullets.
Another key point is that there is not a single banner in the arena with Wizards name on it. Other than possibly maybe MJ, there is not a single player that deserve their numbers to be retired as a Wizard. Even if you chose to change the name to Bullets, we are not going to miss a beat. No one is really going to miss the name. The name is just silly. Only other name that I would've considered is Washington Justice, since the name is definitely unique to DC with the supreme court.
Mr. Leonsis please give strong consideration to the name change. We want our Bullets back!

Posted by: gonats1 | October 7, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Go back, Wizards is such a stupid name.

Posted by: Warmdaddy | October 7, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Bullet Fever, it happens to me every year...

Posted by: nativedc | October 7, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

If you're against the change back to Bullets for PC reasons, then you'd better be against the Washington football club calling themselves, basically, the Red Men.

Bring back Les Boulez.

Posted by: Potomac50 | October 7, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I like the Washington Justice. They would be playing on the supreme court and the fans would be the jury. all kinds of good marketing capability and tied to washingotn.

Posted by: jon_nystrom | October 7, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"the Wizards DEFINITELY had more success than the Bullets."

That's stupid.

Posted by: Dave381 | October 7, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Change the name to anything. Bullets?
Not my fav but better than WIzzies.
The DC D___ Cats.
Just can't come up with anything.
someone has to have a better idea than Bullets---That's just going backward we need to go forward with a new, slick,catchy, tuff sounding name.

Someone is saving one for the Name the Wizzies contest that Ted will have soon.

Posted by: VBFan | October 7, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

BULLETS

Posted by: dand0202 | October 7, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Thats the reason I'm a BULLETS fan!

Posted by: dubv1980 | October 7, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"the Wizards DEFINITELY had more success than the Bullets."

That's stupid.
Posted by: Dave381 | October 7, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

No. What's stupid is not reading the whole quote.

"anyone born in the 80's...such as myself...the Wizards DEFINITELY had more success than the Bullets."

So if you want to go from what I actually said...the run we had a few years ago easily at least equals and in my opinion surpases my memory of the Bullets.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Ya know, I was generally for a name-change to the Bullets until the Teabagger 2nd-Amendment-obsessed gun nuts started weighing in on the sports thread. That's when I realized what a horrible name that is. With all the previous drama, now the Wizards need to become embroiled in some political argument by a bunch of extremist nutjobs (on both sides of the issue)? D'oh. No thanks.

Washington Generals or Washington Justice would be sweet...

Posted by: Plix | October 7, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that if Ted changes the team name to the Bullets, at least two people on this blog will sign up for season tickets. The rest will continue to provide opinions.

And Wizards jerseys will become collector's items at double the current price.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 7, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"I wasn't alive for the glory days of the 70's. The Bullets to me were Ledell Eackles, Mark Alarie, Michael Adams, Jeff Malone...hell I even had a Manute and Muggsy poster.

The franchises comic futility during that period is actually a fond memory for me. Who couldnt love having the shortest and tallest player in NBA history on the floor together? Or the police blotter sheet that was Strickland and all his utter nonsense. Wes' ineptitude, all that stuff..."good" memories for me.

The thing about the "bullets" imho is not so much the name but colors and terrific logo. Hard to imagine coming up with a new name, colors, and logos that could be better than the red/white/blue with the outstretched hands making a shot (missing a rebound if you're my generation)

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

What about Baltimore Bullets?

I've been watching The Wire again...

Posted by: Samson151 | October 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have said it better. LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 7, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Classic

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 7, 2010 1:00 PM

sweet!

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

So people think the name Bullets brings to mind violence but everyone is OK with the announcer screaming "DAGGER!" at the end of the game? Come on people get over the PC'ness and bring back Les Bulles.

John Wall, you da man you da man. Thats the reason I'm a BULLETS fan!

Posted by: bigcountry22 | October 7, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Classic

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 7, 2010 1:00 PM

sweet!

Posted by: divi3 | October 7, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse
i loved that promo! Can't wait for the name change.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 7, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It took me a few seasons to get used to saying "Wizards". It wouldn't take but a second to get back to calling them "Bullets"! Please bring the Bullets back! (never did like the name wizards, the mascot or the godawful unis)

Posted by: wpost36 | October 7, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

How about "Baby Seals"? At least when the team gets clubbed it would be like a free PSA for the plight of poor defenseless animals.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 7, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"The Bullets are a great timeout....The Bullets are a great..time out"

Worse jingle ever, but please bring back the Bullets!!!

Posted by: tischmid | October 7, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The DC "DAGGERS".

Buck will like it.

Posted by: VBFan | October 7, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who say the Bullets were always bad, you must be too young.
That franchise went to the NBA Finals four times in the 1970s (and won the title once), the most of ANY NBA franchise in that decade. You can look it up.
I think the Bullets made the playoffs for 14 years in a row at one point. Those were the days.
The red, white and blue uniforms that Wes, Elvin, Bobby D., K.P., Chenier, Charles Johnson, Greg Ballard, Tommy Henderson, Grevey, Kupchak, Nick Weatherspoon, Mike Riordan, etc., wore were the best.
Bring all of that back, embrace what was a very successful past.
The Bullets won a championship in the modern era (1978) before the Redskins did. We were coming back from a trip to the Grand Canyon, and I remember watching the Game 7 road win over Seattle in a hotel room in Goodland, Kan.
Leonsis, a good guy, in my view, was smart enough to change the Caps' sweaters and colors back to what they wore in the team's best era.
I think he will make a similar move here. We might not get all that we want, old-school Bullets fan, but we will see something good.

Posted by: gaspeny | October 7, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Washington Prevaricators

Posted by: gareacy | October 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Washington Prevaricators

Posted by: gareacy | October 7, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I say bring back The Washington Bullets but, don't go back to the old uniforms PLEASE!

Posted by: carterm1 | October 7, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Man, it would be fantastic if Leonsis changed the name back to Bullets. He'd make a ton of money from Bullets merchandise.

Posted by: coparker5 | October 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I have lot's of free Wizards jerseys and hats, but I always refused to buy any item with the Wizards logo on it. Though I am a season ticket holder, and have been for a while, they have made no merchandising money off of me.

Ted can get even more of my dollars by switching back to the Bullets.

Posted by: urallimbeciles | October 7, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

BULLITS, 82% in the poll. I'd say that's pretty significant, a resounding majority of people who care, and buy tickets.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 7, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"No. What's stupid is not reading the whole quote."

What's more stupid is having the wrong assumption.

"The first time I remember the Bullets making the playoffs was with Webber, Juwan and Rod Strickland."

That team that played MJ's Bull to a tough series in the mid 90's was I think a very good team. Put to waste by a lot of poor management decision and injuries. I still remember MJ proclaiming them as the team of the future. I maybe in the minority here in saying that that playoff Webber led team can win on any of the recent Arenas led team.

Posted by: Dave381 | October 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, please, Ted, change the name back to the Bullets. Great history, unis, colors, etc. Enough of the PC nonsense.

Posted by: veddar_ed | October 7, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I would LOVE nothing more than to have them go back to being called the BULLETS.
They have a proud tradition as the BULLETS as well as a Championship and they never had issues with that name.
With the Wizards - there has been nothing but futility, embarrassment, and a mounting frustration since day one.
I was proud to be a ballboy for 5 games when we were called the "CAPITAL BULLETS" in "73-'74 and I was thrilled to meet the real Bullet Greats like Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Mike Riordan, Dave Stallworth, Archie Clark, Dave Bing, Bob Dandridge, Phil Chenier,etc...when I was a young child. The Bullets were my favorite everything and I have nothing but sensational memories. Try asking ANYONE what great memories they have with the Wizards. I only remember one (beating Chicago). Let's go back to our roots and relive the greatness. We are in the NEW..JOHN WALL ERA. Change it NOW so he can retire 20 years from now as the other greats that are hanging from the rafters. None of the ones hanging are "Wizards"....They are ALL BULLETS!!!!
End the "WIZARDS nonsense NOW BEFORE John Wall gets started!!!!

Posted by: daveink44 | October 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The WASHINGTON MONUMENTS. done. thank me later.

Posted by: thedroo | October 7, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

OK, it's been considered, now do it. Bring back the Bullets.

Posted by: RichinVA | October 7, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

As much as I would like to have the BULLETS back I think the negative connotation and all that goes with it would be to much! I wouldnt mind the Washington Generals, Justice, and I like the monuments the most something of significance, steadfast and unmovable! We are not that yet but who knows with the young talent maybe that could be us in the future!

Posted by: SkinzFan4lyfe | October 7, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, bring back the Bullets name as well as those fantastic red, white, and blue uniforms.

To link a team name with gun violence on the streets takes a serious dose of simplistic reasoning.

Go Bullets!

Posted by: boog44 | October 7, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

What about the CHILDREN??? O Wat is we gonna do? Oh, yeah, the children are shooting each other. What has that got to do with the team name? Nothing. Only in D.C. (and a few other major urban centers) would you find such idiocy.

Posted by: shred11 | October 7, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Until they win something, they should be called "The Blanks."

Posted by: sailhoward | October 8, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Whenever I think of the Bullets, I think of bad basketball, not gun violence.

Posted by: jwing14 | October 8, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse