Al Thornton's injury and rebounding woes contribute to loss

By Michael Lee

Can't get rebounds like this. (Photo by Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Al Thornton's night was over when he was slow to chase down Charlotte's Gerald Wallace and fouled him, allowing the human wrecking ball Wallace to convert a four-point play early in the third period. Thornton appeared out of sorts on Friday night, when his energy level was lower than it had been through the first six games of the season. At first, it seemed that Thornton was simply getting outplayed by his first battle against all-star small forward, but he later explained that his problems might be more serious.

"I had a bad, pulling sensation in my stomach. I couldn't even go through my pre-game routine with my shots," Thornton said after the game. "I might've pulled something, I'm not sure. It's still kind of painful."

Thornton will be examined on Saturday in Chicago, but he was worried after the Wizards' 93-85 loss to the Bobcats at Verizon Center. Thornton scored a season-low two points, missing seven of eight shots, and said he could not keep up with Wallace, who always seems to destroy the Wizards. "That was extremely challenging, having to check him and how wild he is," Thornton said.

For the first time this season, Thornton failed to grab at least six rebounds, as he finished with a just two. Problem was, he matched the total of JaVale McGee, who continues to make the highlights when his leaping ability leads to incredible dunks and blocks but has been unable to harness those skills when it comes to grabbing rebounds.

McGee quietly left the locker room without speaking to reporters with a dejected look upon his face. He was pulled in favor of Yi Jianlian for the final six minutes of the game when he allowed Stephen Jackson to drive inside for a layup that tied the game at 78. The previous possession, Boris Diaw made a reverse layup.

Coach Flip Saunders said the Wizards "are not going to go major shakeup" but he would look to make some adjustments to the rotation in order to get players on the floor who can rebound. The Wizards are the worst rebounding team in the league and they dreadful against the scrappy Bobcats, as they grabbed just 30 rebounds. On the same night, Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love grabbed 31.

"Either our guys in there have to rebound or get new people in there because we can't put ourselves in that situation," Saunders said. The Bobcats are "not a great rebounding team but they chase down. They had almost as many offensive rebounds [16] as we had defensive rebounds [17]. You can't get your butts kicked on the glass like that."

Saunders has made an example of McGee in two out of the past three games, benching him after lapses during critical portions of the game. (He failed to box out Anderson Varejao late against Cleveland, allowing the Cavaliers to hit a three-pointer). Saunders is obviously upset with McGee, but benching McGee has turned out to hurt the Wizards, with teams going on huge runs with him not on the floor. The Cavaliers went on a 10-0 run with McGee sitting, while the Bobcats scored eight unanswered in the first three minutes McGee sat.

"That's the situation with young players. They lose concentration in the heat of the battle. You don't reward people that make mistakes because if you do that then young players won't get better," Saunders said. "If you accept mediocrity then the best you're ever going to get is becoming mediocre and we're not going to accept mediocrity. Guys have to perform at a high level. I can live with guys missing shots, it's the mental approach to the game that you shouldn't have any slippage in that area."

Andray Blatche led the Wizards with nine rebounds, but he only had three in the second half. Gilbert Arenas had a horrific shooting night (2 of 14), but Saunders said he had to keep him in the game because he only guy fighting for rebounds. Arenas had six rebounds, which was second-best on the team.

"It wasn't that we weren't trying, they just out-worked us," Blatche said. "It's not necessarily about the boards. It's more about defense. We have to get more solid on defense. In the fourth quarter we have to make the right decisions. We have to talk. We have to communicate. We have to be in sync with one another."

Kirk Hinrich had a quietly effective game, with 14 points and eight assists but said the Wizards can't spend too much time wallowing in a loss in which they were severely drubbed on the glass. "It hurts, but you can't expect to beat too many teams doing that. We've got to regroup. The good thing about it is we've got a game tomorrow, so hopefully we can get this bad taste out of our mouths."

But now the concern is whether they'll have Thornton around to help out.

By Michael Lee  | November 13, 2010; 12:32 AM ET
Categories:  Al Thornton, Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Wizards (2-4) vs. Bobcats (2-6)
Next: Al Thornton will play, JaVale McGee pledges to rebound more

Comments

On at least one of those Bobcat baseline drives, I actually thought I heard McGee yell, "Ole!"

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

So how does this work?
McGee doesn't rebound but at least is a deterrent in the paint and keeps the Wiz in the game so he gets benched for players who also don't rebound nor provide a deterrent in the paint.

Flip's "tough love" philosophy is to lose the game to make a point?

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 13, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

He's not a deterrent if guys are scoring on layups.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 13, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

"Deterrent"? "Keeping the Wiz in the game"? Are you kidding me?

The Bobcats shot 50% from the field and had an express lane into the paint. To say nothing of the fact that they hammered the Wiz on the glass by 18, despite the fact that their frontline flat out blows.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2010 2:39 AM | Report abuse

"He's not a deterrent if guys are scoring on layups."
--------------------

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 13, 2010 2:45 AM | Report abuse

There seems to be little rhyme or reason to Flip Saunders in-game coaching decisions. He pulls the hot shooting hand at a whim, he gives non-productive players minutes and benches productive ones, he gives a nod to cold-shooting guards while yanking Javale McGe for defensive lapses (note: he does not apply this heavy-handed approach to other players not named Nick Young)... I'm sure there is a method to his coaching madness, but any clear rationale escapes me.

Posted by: bazookajoe1 | November 13, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

"Which was par for the entire front court. Don't know why Flip singles out McGee when the entire front court got it's butt whip."

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 13, 2010 2:45 AM

At least Blatche and Yi offer the hope of scoring. If he's not protecting the rim or keeping guards out of the paint, McGee is useless. And even when he's doing those things, he's only marginally useful.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

I love when people on this blog whine that we need a big man coach. It hasn't happened yet, so please indulge me.

Like Odom said: The game ain't run and jump. It's basketball. McGee is a fascinating athletic freak, but that is about it.

Posted by: MeviousMan | November 13, 2010 5:45 AM | Report abuse

The true fact is Flip is scared of winning. Those that are bashing McGee and Young are not watching the game. McGee on the floor Wiz are not only winning but surging. His teammates allow people to go by them at will and he suppose to stop everything. Give me a break. You can only coverup for bad back court defense so many times. Young come and get offense and he's playing hard. Flip can have that. He has to get Kirk back in. Everyone thought 3 guard offense was an experiment yeah right. I'm surprised Flip hasn't gone to a 5 guard lineup. How many times the Wiz are going to be up and Flip does his stupid subbing. Flip is a joke and it's time this paper start calling him out. Oh and Ted until you make a change you don't have to worry about me attending another game.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 13, 2010 6:07 AM | Report abuse

When do you think EG's bus is leaving the city.I personally think that is the only solution.This team is too soft.Wallace rebound his own miss from the charity lane in the money quarter,I do not know why people are spending money at VC.Arenas try to find his big men but none where found.
Flip is not fair on NY, i strongly recommend for NY to get 25 minutes a game.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 13, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

"The true fact is Flip is scared of winning."

I want to nominate that as most confused statement of the year.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 13, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Love had 31 rebounds in a game? Kevin Love can't jump over his shoelaces. Kevin Love is less than 6'8" in his socks. Kevin Love has a no step vertical reach that is a full 6" less than Javale McGee.

Guess that illustrates what positioning can do...

And playing the Knicks when Stoudemire is in foul trouble, of course.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 13, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I attended the game last night.... I paid 200 bucks in an effort to get my wife into the Wiz and her statement was "They look like they are playing lazy" BTW I can't afford to pay that much for half effort when I can stay home and watch it on cable. The game experience and the employees of Verizon Center were great..

Posted by: lightagent | November 13, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

The Thorton Injury Sucks, But.....

the one good thing about it is that Gil may finally get a start. I hope Al isnt out because I like what he brings but I said all along that Gil should start this next game when you look at the SG's we have coming up. They are either non scorers or they are averaged sized SG's. Its the perfect time to put Gil in.

Im probably in the minority but I actually like what Im seeing from Gil. Dont get me wrong, he makes me want to pull my hair out alot of times but I think the majority of his problems come from rust, timing, & being a little out of shape. His all around game has been beast though. He goes for boards harder than anyone on our team. Thats one huge reason why I wanted him starting over Kirk from the jump because we need those boards and he can get some of the one's that our bigs cant. I also still think he's probably the best pure passer & decision maker on our team.

His problems come in with his handles & his shooting/scoring ability. I think all of that will come back with time. He's always had some of the best handles in the league. He can pretty much do any move & never lose the ball. However, over the last 2 years he loses the ball alot when he tries to make a move. Then because the ball gets lost, the defender is off him some which leaves Gil pretty open for the shot but your pretty much always going to miss it if you lose the rock & then shoot it up. His legs clearly arent fully under him yet. Once he gets those backs then those J's will go down.

I loved yesterday when he couldnt make a J so he started to drive everytime & every single time he got us a great shot for someone else. Its great to see him penetrate more and when he gets comfortable then he will start looking for his shot. He will get alot more comfortable by starting. Having to sit makes him nervous & you can tell it just throws him off some so it takes him awhile to find his game. His D has actually been pretty good also.

I thought Flip actually mightve cost us 3 games. I think he cost us the Hawks game by benching McGee for Yi down the stretch. Then I think he cost us the Cavs game by benching Thorton for Gil when Al was a beast & Gil was clearly out of it. Then I thought last night that Wall shouldve been benched for NY. You cant worry about who your stars are, you have to play the best fit at the time. Gil was taking over with his playmaking skills in the 4th so we needed another shooter on the floor. Too many times Gil drove only to kick to a wide open Wall that is forced to take that J and we all know thats not a great idea. If NY was in that spot then things look different. Wall or anyone else doesnt have to finish every single game. If one game brings a better mix with someone else then you plya that guy.

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 13, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Anyways, I think Gil is getting more confident about how he's playing D, rebounding, passing, and making plays for others. Now the last step is the scoring & I think that comes when he starts. He had his best Preseason game against the Bulls and they start Bogans at the 2. Let Gil start & let Al sit & get healthy. You can start Kirk at the 3 if you want since Flip likes that lineup & he's playing the Bulls but I have no doubt that when Al comes back then Gil will still be the starter. He'll play that well.

Some probably think we suck & are dissapointed but Im not. I think we are still good to go. I look at it like we are in these games with Gil sucking at scoring. When he gets back to being a real threat who can score even 20 then these games will look alot different and thats not even including adding Howard & Dray getting more into shape. Some probably think Gil wont get back to that but trust, he will. You can see it. Its just about finding your way right now. Him & Wall together will be sick & Kirk will be one of the best backup PG's in the league. I may even leave Howard on the bench with him all year if Gil gets back right. Thorton is solid and then you have a great vetrean bench with Kirk, Howard, and Yi or whoever. I honestly wouldnt be shocked if Gil looked good and we beat the Bulls or come very close tonight, seriously

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 13, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

"the one good thing about [Thornton's injury] is that Gil may finally get a start."

The presumption being that Gil is anxious to start. I haven't gotten that impression. Looks to me he's in agreement that he needs to work himself in more slowly. Whether that's physical or psychological, or both, I couldn't say. But that's the impression I'm getting.

I wonder if Flip isn't protecting Gil a bit, like he said.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 13, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Talking about Arenas, I don’t know why he has changed from a drive-and-finish guy to become a drive-and-dish guy. Granted, he made some good passes, and if his teammates could knock them down, he would have had more assists. But his ability to finish at the basket is what made him an elite player before. Is it because not having enough legs to do it due to injuries? But last season he had shown he could still finish, and with one more season of rest, I thought his knee should get better. Or, is it just mentally he was trying too hard to not dominating the ball? One more possibility: can it be that he is auditioning for Orlando, showing that his drive-and-dish can work well with Howard?

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

So Flip Flop threw a hissy fit at practice earlier this week b/c the guys were goofing off, and last night, there was still goofing off. You can only dig into the well so many times, and what's Flip Flop going to do next for drama, go into a corner and cry? put the player's IPads in timeout? WTF?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

So when Flip pulls Mcgee teams go on huge runs against us....what exactly is the lesson there? Better to lose than let young players play through mistakes? Isnt this cutting off your nose to spite your face?

JM definitely does stuff that deserves some pine time. The problem is Yi comes in and makes just as egregious a mistake within a couple minutes. So what do you do them? Sign Erik Dampier?

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"Pulling McGee for Yi? The problem is, Yi isn't much a rebounder himself. Playing 32 minutes and grabbed only 4 rebounds. Even Arenas got 2 more rebounds than Yi.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse "

The reason why Gilby is a drive and dish guy now is b/c he cannot finish with a dunk anymore, and he's avoiding physical contact. For a game that was wide open, Gilby went to the FT line ZERO times!!! In the back of his head, he was probably avoiding Gerald Wallace as much as possible.

Also, please get off that argument about 'if players would have scored the basket, then Gilby would have had an assist.' How come JWow's passes end up in assists? It's because his passes are in the flow of the attack, not like Gilby who passes to someone who's just standing there waiting for him to pass.

I figure Yi only had 1 defense reb b/c he had 6 blocks. You can't go for the block and be back to get the rebound at the same time. Yi needs to work on his timing on that aspect, but given that, JaTravel is the worst in throwing himself out there just to try to get the monster block.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"They should have kept Singleton, Booker and Seraphin are not ready yet, and other bigs they acquired (Yi, Armstrong) are not known as good rebounders.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse "

I've been saying that forever about Singleton. Thank EG for that.

Yi has a problem with creating space in order to get his shot off. That's a product of not having experience playing in the paint in China, where it's probably more of a finesse game like in Europe. That's why the team needs a big man coach to teach the bigs how to play physical inside. Yi's got the tools.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

All 3 of our guards looked hesitant to shoot in the 4th quarter, Gil and Wall seemed to be pulling the trigger because somebody had to- no confidence and we saw the results. We had 3 guys on the floor looking to set others up. Sit one of them and put Nick in, he'll get wide open looks and take them.

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"not like Gilby who passes to someone who's just standing there waiting for him to pass."

I think the problem is, his teammates were probably expecting him to finish instead. This points back to Arenas should have tried to finish at the rim more. As for whether or not he is still physically capable, as I said, he did it last season, and the report this offseason is that he looked even better, so I am not aware there is any physical reason.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

put Nick in, he'll get wide open looks and take them.

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2010 9:52 AM

He sure won't be hesitant to shoot.

Posted by: VBFan | November 13, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

5 rows back last night...those still arguing for McGee are extremely misguided. He was terrible. Yi actually was a better defensive presence and was in position far more often than JM. Yi had quite a few blocks as well. The best lineup for this team is JW, KH, AT, AB, YJ at the moment. In a month, it will probably be JW, GA, JH, AB, and YJ. Notice McGee is not a player that deserves to start even on this squad. GA missed a lot of shots, but he also passed up layup opportunities 2/3 times for harder shots for other players. Not sure why unless he really just has no ups. It's clear he is not the same player as he was during the Hibatchi days. Rust was cited last season, but this season he should be back to as close to 100% as he'll ever be and he just doesn't look that explosive.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"One more possibility: can it be that [Gilbert Arenas] is auditioning for Orlando, showing that his drive-and-dish can work well with Howard? Posted by: sagaliba"

No idea. But he's hoping for a trade, a fresh start somewhere else. Check out the article in SI this week (page 54). Revealing.

I think Gil's problem (so far at least) is one of adjustment to playing beside Wall. Hinrich is pretty easy for him to play with; their skills are complementary. Wall's a different matter. Gil may not be as good a long-range shooter as Nick Young (although he's much better in other respects), and long-range shooting is one thing Wall needs in the lineup with him.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Larry Brown was ticked last night with all the turnovers in the first quarter. During one of the Bobcats' timeouts, he yelled, "They can't stop anybody inside on defense and we're turning the ball over!"

It really should open most people's eyes about the perception of the bigs on this team. They've got a ways to go before becoming complete players. Ball don't lie.

Posted by: harrybalz | November 13, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game too and thought Yi was out of position quite a bit, most especially on the offensive end unless of course we want our C staying away from the paint. It's also evident when Mcgee is in the game opposing players alter their shots, not so with Yi despite him having some nice blocks last night. At the end of the day, Yi does just as much wrong as JM imo.

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the Wiz are averaging 81.3 FG attempts per game, which puts them a bit ahead of teams like Milwaukee, Dallas, Okla City, Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, and Boston, but well behind the Lakers and Minnesota, who are pretty far ahead of everyone else. That suggests that the team is jacking up enough shots, but would benefit from hitting a few more of them. And also getting to the FT line more often, although they're not at the bottom there, either.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 13, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Big shake-up comes after JUNE 2011 when we insert our second top three pick in the draft into the 2011 line-up.

'Till then dream on.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 13, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

hey blurred:

Congrats on the win.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 13, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

"The Bobcats shot 50% from the field and had an express lane into the paint."

Well so did Houston, but they play as bad defense as the Wiz.

I agree with everyone else in one way or another. This is not the time for "lessons" especially if you don't have the horses to compete anyway.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 13, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"Yi actually was a better defensive presence and was in position far more often than JM."

Yi can play, I went to the Houston game. He might not be "dynamic" or anything, but he knows all the fundementals very well. I was really impressed with him. His problem is he really needs to get physically stronger. He gets out muscled a lot.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 13, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 13, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Also, it's shocking to see Gilbert Arenas playing the best perimeter defense of our guards- but that's what's happened 2 games in a row now."

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"Gil may not be as good a long-range shooter as Nick Young (although he's much better in other respects), and long-range shooting is one thing Wall needs in the lineup with him."

Well, Gilbert had a bad shooting night. The problem with Young is, again he had no rebound and no assist. This has happened too many times, and not just a one game thing.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Lots of people inexplicably calling for Nick Young to play. Here's the thing about NY: he is unbelievably streaky as a shooter, and he contributes NOTHING to the stat sheet except for points (or if he's cold, a horrendous FG%). I don't see the logic in playing such a lousy player, who has the physical talents to rebound and get assists but seems only interested in jacking up shots. He's useful as hell when his shot is falling (especially wide open 3s on assists from Wall) but the problem is until he rounds out the rest of his game, he won't see the floor very much.

Posted by: Crunkenstein | November 13, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"Timberwolves forward Kevin Love grabbed 31 (rebounds)."

And Beasley followed up his 42 points performance with 35! Looks like a pretty good front court, if you can replace Milicic with someone who is good.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

LET THE RECORDS SHOW THAT I TOLD YOU SO!!!(LMAO!!)

Posted by: dargregmag | November 13, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The last two games, one victory and one loss, Gil has gone 1 for 7 and 2 for 14, for a 14.9% FG percentage. Might be a cold streak, might be something else. I wouldn't know, and Arenas is probably not going to tell me. I can see he's not charging the basket -- he's only shot 2 FTs over that same span.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 13, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"The offense relies too heavily on 16+ ft Js by John Wall, imo, hoping he hits more of them isnt the answer.Posted by: divi3"

Based on the last two games, the 'low hanging fruit' is probably better shooting from Arenas. He's a career 42.5% shooter. He took 14 shots last night -- if he'd connected on just 40%, he'd have had 5 or 6 FGs instead of 2.

Then Wall's mediocre jump shot wouldn't make so much difference.

Thing is, when Gilbert's on the court, it's to score. Not that he doesn't do other important things, but that's why the Wiz signed Gilbert Arenas. Like Wall is in there to penetrate and run the offense and Hinrich to play defense and provide some semblance of leadership. They do other things, but each has a role. Same for Andray, Nick, Yi, etc., but that's another post. Al and Josh Howard (if he ever gets on the court) will have their respective roles in the rotation, and will be expected to fill them.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 13, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Our guards were 11-37 last night, 2-11 in the 4th quarter. That's why you play NY, he's the best shooter on the team.

Posted by: divi3 | November 13, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"This might sound stupid, but it might not be a terrible idea to go after Greg Oden in the offseason..."

You know, that's a GREAT idea. But I don't think Portland is just going to give him up for nothing. One area I do like EG is trading, but again I don't think it's happening.

"Yes, I think Gilbert is playing pretty good defense."

I must be watching different games then everyone else then, lol!

"Lots of people inexplicably calling for Nick Young to play."

When I went to the game the other night, I wanted to yell "Nick Young Sucks!" so bad if I thought he would hear me, but I was in the nose bleeds and they actually won so it was really noisy. I'm going again on Tuesday and will see if it's quiet or not. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"And what's wrong with that? They are open, and they should knock down the easy open shots!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse "

Don't believe anything unless you see for yourself, and from what we've seen, Gilby can't do it anymore.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 13, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse "

Right on the first part.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, I think Gilbert is playing pretty good defense. But I think their zone defense (as a team) is porous.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 13, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse "

They really only play zone when Gilby's in the game.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Arenas has no incentive to work hard for the Wizards again...and it shows.

Posted by: bobabuie | November 13, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"There is no excuse for Arenas allowing himself to gain 15 lbs over two weeks. None. So the Arenas apologists need to let that go.

Arenas has no incentive to work hard for the Wizards again...and it shows.

Posted by: bobabuie | November 13, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse "

The same approach is being taken by Clinton Portis, after Snyder gave him an unsolicited $25 mil extension to his contract, with most of it guaranteed. He's been coasting ever since.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

If it's true that he gained that much weight, I would not be surprised if it is some sort of self sabotage or a way for him to exact revenge. In the long run, it only makes him look worse and harder to trade.

Ummm, as usual Divi, you are pretty much in left field. Yi has a much higher basketball IQ than McGee probably ever will and, while McGee may be more of an athletic freak than even Yi, it doesn't mean much when you are clueless. All those altered shots were pretty much imaginary on your part since I was on the floor right by the basket he was guarding for half the game and had a pretty good view of the other end as well. Yi is always on the perimeter on offense bc that is his skill set! At least he has an offensive skill set, whereas JM is a dunk or donk!

It's unbelievable how poor a rebounder JM really is. Even if he is bodied all the way out of the lane, he should be able to jump over and snatch balls away from players. I watched him with the ball in flight on numerous occasions and he just really has no sense for the basketball - NONE. His frame or lack thereof has little to do with it. Insert Dennis Rodman's brain into his and he could have 30 rebound nights once a week. Nobody in the league can match his length and athleticism yet he is allergic to rebounds. SIGH!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"BS - they played plenty of man to man with GA in the game. It was probably one of his best defensive efforts as a Wizard shockingly enough.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse "

Gilby played such good D that the SG's/PG's looked to have had a good night. Stephen Jackson and DJ Augustin with +12, +16 respectively.

If anything, Gilby did a good job camping out in the paint and getting a few boards.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse